cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  06:59:29 AM  Show Profile
With all of the negative talk about the economy these days (and my thanking God that remotes have a mute button!), I wanted to say that it is important that us farmgirls remind people that fear isn't frugal. Fear makes you make irrational decisions (like raiding your 401k before canceling your cell phone and cable service), stock up on things you don't need (what if I don't have money for toilet paper later? I better take advantage of this sale!), and overall, causes stress, that in the long run, costs you more in your health than anything else (and this is the one thing you can NOT buy back when the economy recovers!).

The best way to deal with this economy is to remember to take responsibility for our finances, live simply, enjoy the free things in life (like the stars and trees), trust in God, and help out our neighbors, family, and fellow farmsisters. Only by relying on each other and not giving into fear will we all not only pull out of this meager economy but be better for it.

Staying positive,
rachael

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  07:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Couldn't agree with you more Rachel. We live pretty frugally and more importantly, simply. People THINK we own nothing because we are too poor to afford it, yet we are getting out of debt, live on a budget, are able to eat out once a week and enjoy a few around the town trips. The foundation of living simple has allowed us to do this. I am going to eventually go further when we own our own little home. It is my goal to get rid of the tv, put in food gardens and keep it very simple. I can not express how simple I mean. I do keep TP, tampons, juice, water, whole grain/wheat pasta, rice, butter, cheddar cheese, dried fruit, dried milk and beans on hand along with freezing any extra vegetables or fruit I can. This leaves me with enough to eat in a quick crisis. I can give Chloe rice and homemade vegetable stock if I run out of dog food. I also have extra blankets and everyone in the house has an jacket, hat, boots and mittens, flashlight, extra batteries, just in case. I guess my point is you need the basics to be prepared and keep that money in the bank, paying the bills and living happily. We want to downsize even more and I can't wait. All the extra stuff goes to charity and I say a little prayer someone will find good use out of it. One does not need a storage warehouse or all the gadgets or clothes or stuff to get by with a good life. Take a walk, ride a bike, play a boardgame, etc...all HEALTHY and free.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  08:44:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Rachael and Heather!

I am in complete agreement. Dh and I have been simplifying our lives for about the last 10 years. We went from having a mortgage, car payment and a few thousand dollars in credit card debt, to...totally being debt free!
It is a feeling we can't replace with anything else, not a better television, not a bigger house...nothing!

There are those who react badly, but we just ignore them and know in our hearts that this is the right thing for us. We feel the Lord's peace and KNOW this is what He wants too.

However, we do feel lead to have food storage. We have about 3 months of foods we eat on a daily basis. It's more of an "insurance policy" against higher prices. We only purchase what we need on sale and can wait in between sales. We did not struggle to accumulate this amount, it was just a slow process of picking up a couple extra things until we had a 3 month supply. No fear, just preparedness as we feel the Bible instructs us.

Thanks for the very well written reminder, Rachael! I love the way you put it.
Blessings, Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Very good points-I agree completely. Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I like the idea of having canned or frozen food from your garden on hand...I love the look of a perty pantry!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  5:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Very Very good points! I do like to have a well stocked pantry all the time- not because of any economy upturns or downturns- I just think it makes sense to have not perishable foods on hand. I feel much less stressed when I know I can eat for a month at home without shopping if some sort of money shortfall comes in.

We also like to save money by buying in bulk at Costco. We have found that the savings really make it worth it for us. One Costco thinkg of toilet paper lasts for a year around here! Talk about good economy! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Amen to your words Rachel. It's nice to see people accepting responsibility and taking a positive attitude in fixing our life styles and pulling ourselves up by the bootstraps when needed. Hubby and I were definitely guilty of overspending when the money was readily available and didn't think about a rainy day. Well the rainy day came about a year ago when I was forced to quit working because of health reasons not the economy but needless to say it has hit us hard. I blame no one but ourselves for the mess we're currently in. At least we had the foresight to make sure when we bought our home it was a fixed interest rate and not an ARM. Slowly but surely we are paying things down. We'll get by and know there are many worse off than we are. I so enjoyed a link someone posted sometime back about Cindy's Porch. It's a website by a gal who tells people to just stop spending money and shop at home first. Now when we run out of things instead of jumping in the car to run buy it we rethink our needs and find substitutes. So often we have what we need already if we give ourselves time to think a moment. Here's the link again if any of you gals missed it. http://www.cindysporch.net/

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile
In line with everything already mentioned, my family is preparing to make a big move out of state and we're paring down and asking ourselves why we have an item and do we really need it. I've found that I don't miss the things I've given away. It has simplified life, lessened clutter and eased housework. On top of all that, it's brought an unexpected peace of mind not having to keep track of all that stuff and store, clean, hide, etc...the excess. The saying "less is more" is beginning to make sense!

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)
www.trooperchelly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  2:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Michele!

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  7:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Rachel:
I have never heard anything smarter! Amen to all you have posted here. Simple is the key word to me.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  07:14:18 AM  Show Profile
Dito to all the responses. My husband and I are doing without a lot of things so that we can be debt free, own our dream home, have are child's college fully paid for and our retirement fully funded. While I love bright and shiny new things (I'll admit it) there is nothing that can be bought that can replace the feeling of security that comes with fiscal responsibility and being debt free. The economic environment doesn't effect our days, we get up happy either way and my husband works becasue he loves what he does. The fear referred to in the original topic can be alleviated by being personally responsible for your own finances.

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Here, Here ! Isn't that the truth !!

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hotmamaj
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

janice
buckeye az
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  5:28:38 PM  Show Profile
I agree. We are rethinking the way we live. A-Z
What's really important is do we need it or just want it.
Can we live without it? Make it for less money? If everyone started thinking like this wouldn't that be great

Welcome the dawn of everyday with a smile & open heart
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  6:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Praise and kudos Rachael, for the topic and the wisdom you share!

Jamie, it sounds like you've read some of Dave Ramsey's financial "peace" material somewhere along the way. My husband and I are working on our program (Financial Peace Revisited) so we can scream "we're debt free" on Dave's radio show sometime next year. His principles (actually Biblical and common sensical) have helped us with our finances, perhaps even saved our marriage...any of his books can show the "baby steps" to getting out of debt and building wealth.

Great topic!

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  05:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, thanks for the link to Cindy's Porch. I have enjoyed reading it!

And, well said, Rachael.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at www.SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  5:45:07 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the website cindys porch...It is very helpful

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:44:37 PM  Show Profile
Everyone has great points! My husband and I initially started paring down because we were working for a startup nonprofit and money was tight. We've never had any regrets; we love what we do and our spending coincides with our values. Our quality time together seems more rewarding now that we are more creative with our spending. In reading everyone's posts, I got to thinking that if any of our detractors understood how much happier we are because of simplifying our lives, they would be mighty surprised :} Our home and car are paid for, our meals are wholesome and good for us, we are insured against disasters, and life is as good as it has ever been. You really can't pay for that kind of contentment.

Kylie

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile
Fear stands for " False Evidence Appearing Real" Once I learned that at an early age it made life easier. I too keep a reserve of food and the basics . . . always have. Dad always said " cash on the barrel head for all purchases" "Save until you have the money to buy" " No need for credit" He was right

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for the heads-up about Cindy's Porch. I started exploring it this weekend, and already love her grocery inventory charts! :}

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, I agree with you but my DH has different views. He is in to the whole survivalist mentality. How do I draw the line. I am of the hopeful mentality. He thinks we need to be ready for Armagedden! I am liking being more self-sufficient and simplifying our lives, but the stocking up of ammunition and guns and survival gear gets me down. How do I stay positive and try to help him be a little more hopeful?

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  07:16:06 AM  Show Profile
I agree...no fear! I live by that principle. "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and a sound mind." If God didn't give it, then I don't want it. DH and I very rarely ever watch the news and if we do, we end up turning it off as soon as we hear the weather report. Why should we live in fear? It's paralyzing. I don't want to fear going outside because someone got murdered down the street. If I don't know, it can't hurt me. And I don't want to fear what they're saying about the economy either. That's the reason we're having such a hard time pulling out of this economic funk in the first place. Everybody's afraid to do anything.

As far as Armageddon goes, I am of the mindset that either the Lord will take me before anything crazy happens, or I will be killed eventually and that's OK because I know where I'm headed. Stocking up on guns and ammunition is not going to save anyone in this day of nuclear weapons. That's like going out and buying an umbrella to prepare for a hurricane. I agree with you, Diane. Hope is the only thing we can hope in. Otherwise, we're hopeless, right?

I think it's always smart to have the pantry stocked because you never know when something will happen that will keep you from the grocery store, especially here in Michigan where you never know if you're going to have a wimpy winter like we had this year, or a crazy, snow all day every day winter like we had last year. And what if I were to get sick or something? I'd want my family to have some stuff stocked up so that they wouldn't have to make trips to the grocery store while I am down. We have a local heirloom seed farm that packages up seeds to store away for dire situations (like a little food security package). They're meant to sit on a shelf for a long time. I think that's a kinda cool idea.

So, what is this Cindy's Porch? I'll have to go check it out.

No fear ladies! Life is too short to live it in fear.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  12:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan,

Cindy's Porch is a website about saving money by finding creative ways to use what you have, being happy with the simple things, and enjoying life while being frugal. The address is http://cindysporch.net/index.shtml if you're interested :}

Kylie

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  1:03:58 PM  Show Profile
I checked it out and had to add it to my bookmark bar. Way cool! Love it!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:33:37 PM  Show Profile
We had an issue last year where we had a month that everything went wrong and if it wasn't for that month I wouldn't have learned to be so frugal. I have things "At the ready." so if I go into that stash, I have to buy the next, but if we don't have the money I don't sweat it, because we have a while until we will need more, thinking of which, we are getting low on ground beef

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that funny. If you listen to Dave Ramsey, he is just telling it like it was. Our parents and grandparents didn't buy unless they had cash. Those that saved up weren't at the mercy of the economy or unemployment. I note that when the Great Depression came on, those that where really hurt where those that had used the newfangled credit to buy stuff.

Today I note that people have to stay in really crappy jobs that they hate because they have no recourse. No savings and big bills - like credit cards.

Lesson learned on my part. Too bad it took until I was 46 to get it. Eeek!
But I know that I am redefining my life and I'll be the one in control instead of someone [or someones else].

Smiles!
Carla

"You shot it Tarzan-
You eat it."
Dave Ramsey
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  11:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Just went to Cindy's porch and signed up to be on the mailing list.
Thanks for the tip - it looks like a great place.
I'm learning to love the simple life.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Happiness is a full clothesline...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Fear isn't frugal Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page