Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  8:03:02 PM  Show Profile
A;icia, if you have Nubians, breeding with a Boer buck makes some really pretty kids. And the bucks can be butchered for meat. I have a Nubian I bred to a Boer buck and she had triplet doe kids. I'll keep all 3 of them. Or if you would rather keep the dairy lines going, I have a full Lamancha buckling who is going on 5 months old and needs to go bad. I'd even meet you half way. Lamancha-Nubian crosses are great milk goats. You'll get elf eared kids, but that's ok. SOmetimes you might get full ears.

It was a beautiful cool day here today. Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2013 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile
well howdy fwllow milkmaids. it is awesome to hear how you are all doing. we are still down sizing here too I am milking one cow twice a day. two of my friends here stopped milking so there are customers looking for milk. I took a few. I really am hoping to slow down more. so doing pretty good. linda thanks for the good thoughts I am sad she is gone. I also am having a difficult time with hazel being gone. she was a good cow. I love my new girl sweetie. she is so short she fits her butt under my arm. she is giving around 6 gallons a day. kris how is farmers market going? you are always a busy girl. I would be milking more cows and doing the market if I had the health for it. well I am helping folks in tumalp and doing a vacation house today and tomorrow. so big job but the cash will buy hay. heres hoping you all have happy days ahead.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  9:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies! Things are going pretty good here, just trying not to melt in this horrible heat! Back up to the 100's this week and I'm outside in the mornings for Bible Day Camp.
April should be bred (she was definitely in heat and I saw her standing for the bull yesterday), and now she's sold.
We're considering moving to the Oregon coast! Possibly the Coos Bay area.
I'm missing Alaska, the green and cool, and Oregon seems to be a close second.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  11:23:36 AM  Show Profile
I did it!! I need to have my head checked! I got so tired of hearing the darn goat screaming that I put her in with the buck!! Boy, I do need my head checked, what was I thinking!!! Christmas babies! Dont know whether to be excited or what! But my daughter, says, awww mom we can name them Christmas names! What a sucker I am!!
And I know Linda, I shouldnt have!

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  06:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Alicia I was born in coos bay. ask me if you have a question. my nephew owns 3 dutch brothers coffee huts. I was a commercial fisherman's daughter. how exciting for you.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  09:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Bumping up the thread.
So how is all the dairy ladies doing? Is everyone still milking? I am happy to say I am milking 2 to 3 girls once a day. Heidi has no babies on her so I get all her milk once a day. The other 2 have 1 doe kid each still with them so sometimes I only get 2 cups from them in the morning but happy so to have milk!!!
Since the hand surgery its been slow coming but I am able to milk but sometimes I have to wait about 20 seconds to rest that hand and then start again. Its still hurts but not as bad as it did but the other hand is not working so well now either. I am at least able to milk and clean my barns and chores without too much trouble. I thought I would never get there. This Nov. I will be having the right hand done before it gets any worse.I let the other hand get way too bad. Hopefully my hand will have plenty of time to heal before the next kidding season.

I have been wanting to make feta cheese like forever( 10 yrs.) and never seem to get my bum in gear to do it. I have bought buttermilk 2 times this year and both times I let it spoil and did nothing with it. I had good intentions but time always seems to slip by.
Yesterday I bought a 3rd bottle of buttermilk.......and today I am making Feta cheese and Queso Blanc!!! I am halfway through the process and will be cutting the curds soon. I am so excited and hope it turns out well. I also made Queso Blanc and have it draining with a weight on it. I tasted the curds and they tasted wonderful. This cheese can be fried and it doesn't melt.......its a super cool cheese to make. I am going to fry it tomorrow and use it in my spagetti sauce instead of meat. It should be perfect for that.

I want to also try marinating the feta cheese in olive oil and herbs. Does anyone know how long this will keep in the oil before it starts going bad? Also does anyone have a favorite herb mixture they think taste best?

Well gotta go. My timer just went off and now for the next step in this cheese......cutting and stirring the curds for the next 15 minutes. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Aug 25 2013 09:23:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  09:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, hope your cheese turned out well. I have never made Feta.
I am waiting to start milking again. Connie was due yesterday, but no calf yet. Probably be a bull calf, seeing how she is late. The hardest part is waiting 4 days or so to use the milk. Pigs will enjoy it though.
michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  10:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Michele I hope she calves okay. You only have to wait 4 days to drink the milk thats wonderful.
It seems like the Nubian goats take much longer for their milk to taste good. I found that 3 weeks is the norm here. It seems like when they are still cleaning there milk taste kinda bad. Once they are totally cleaned which is about 3 weeks then the milk is great. I have had some does milk taste good at 2 weeks but those does only had twins and they bounced back very quickly.

You should try the Feta.....it would be so good with rich cow milk. Let me know whats she has. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  2:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Still waiting for a baby. Need to double check my dates and see if I messed that up. Yes with a cow you just have to wait till the colostrum is gone. Mainly really yellow/orange cream. About 4 days. 3 weeks would be a lifetime! Gosh I hope she has a normal delivery, after our beef calf problems this spring, I don't want that again.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  07:05:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all! Been quiet around here. I hope all is well with all you milk maids out there.

I can tell breeding season is just around the corner here. John Henry is stinkin' big time! Ugh. I'm glad rams don't stink. But Abraham is feeling it in the ari too. He and John are in the back yard and have been for awhile now. Tired of each other for sure. And wanting some female companionship. That will happen the first of October. I'm looking for a Boer buck again for Sandy and Penelope. And Zarah and Zeeboo will be with John Henry. I am also going to get a Katahdin ram for the hair ewes this year. BUT, I am thinking there are at least 5 or 6 ewes pregnant and due maybe in Oct. Or else they are just some fat girls. We shall see soon. I've still not taken the lambs from them. I need to but need to figure out where to put them.

I have sold Sandy's triplets to a cute couple who've bought a 60 acre farm not too far from here in Alabama. They came a few weeks ago and paid for them but still haven't come to get them. They need to like soon or else I'm afraid Sandy is going to dry up. I have never gone this long without milking her. I wanted the girls to be good and healthy and have all the milk they needed, so just kept them on her this whole time.

I feel fall in the air. And see it coming too. But this week will be HOT and dry. Not much humidity. But in the 90's. Cold at night though. I need to be out in the garden. But have hay to go get and put up in the barn. I got 67 bales Sunday. Need at least 180 bales to get through winter. Last year I started feeding hay in Sept. Not this year, with all the rain we've gotten, the grass is growing too fast for the animals to keep up with. I have to mow every 3-4 weeks. I ain't complaining. And they aren't either.

Y'all have a great week! Linda, I hope you get your hands straightened out soon.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  3:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Well I finally made the feta cheese and it worked! It was pretty salty but my mom said feta is salty. She tasted it and said it tasted normal to her. I have another 2 batches that I made yesterday and this time I did not salt it nearly as heavy so learning as I go. But I wish I had not waited so long to make it. It really was not hard at all. So I am going to make Feta like crazy and find ways to use it while the girls are still in milk.

I made a recipe called feta, spinach rice bake with the Feta except I doubled the amount of cheese it called for. It was a very good meatless meal and turned out great. I am trying to have a meatless meal on Mondays and this one is a keeper for sure.

Fall is in the air here. We have been getting down really cool at night. Past 2 nights were around 47 degrees and only low 80's during the day and very low humidity since Tuesday. I love this weather it makes me want to go to festivals and bake with pumpkin.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  5:22:21 PM  Show Profile
congrats Linda, on the feta, I will have to give that cheese a try. It is nice having milk again. Yummy too. Getting about a half gallon or so right now. Baby is gaining weight, and a week old. I should say Trina. It will be Katrina when she is being naughty. She is a cutie. Still waiting for rain here. Been dry for a couple months. We got an inch of rain in August. Not good.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile

Hello y'all! It's been awhile. Too much to do around here.

This is Sandy. She had triplet doe kids in May. I sold them all to the same family and they finally came to get them last week. She looks a little ragged right now, but she'll be back to normal soon. Then will be breeding again the 1st part of October. I'm looking for another Boer buck for Sandy and Penelope. I'll breed Zarah and Zeeboo to John Henry.

I hope all is well with everyone. Have a great thursday!

Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  5:13:45 PM  Show Profile
I just convinced my husband that we should get dairy goats. I think we want two Nigerian Dwarf goats to start, its only the two of us so we don't need a ton of milk. Now we need to get the barn and stalls fixed up for them to live in.

Any pointers to good reference books or websites would be greatly appreciated!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, one of my favorite sites is http://fiascofarm.com/
She has a lot of great information.
The library may also have some resources. I know ours has some basic goat raising books from publications like Storey.
Good Luck :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2013 :  1:52:58 PM  Show Profile
I remember getting my first goat! Some things to consider are fencing and shelter. Getting two goats is always a good idea.
Buy from a reliable source and see if that someone is interested in helping you with breeding each fall.
:) If you have any specific questions I am sure you will get a lot of help on this board!

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  03:22:13 AM  Show Profile

Good luck with getting goats. I am no help, I have cows.
My fresh cow is doing well. Not getting a lot of milk right now, as the calf is on her all the time. Soon I will have to separate over night. Her baby Trina, was weight taped at 62 pounds at birth and is now about 94. She is certainly getting her fair share of momma's milk, and all her cream. She is a couple weeks old now.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  11:13:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SandraM

Getting two goats is always a good idea.

I like pairs of each animal at minimum, I feel that way they don't get lonely.

And thanks everyone, the DH and I need to do a lot of work on our barn and fencing to get things ready, but I'm excited!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  06:06:48 AM  Show Profile
My bucks are driving me crazy. Not only do they have their stink on but my oldest buck is very mean and stinks worse then any buck I have had in 20 years.

I am waiting for help from hubby and my son so I can put him in the naughty box run... thats what we call it. Then we are going to move the 2 boys from this year down to where he was. The barn down by the creek where he is right now holds our hay and everytime I try or my son to get hay he tries to beat us to death.Last week he beat me so bad I hurts for days.He is the meanest buck I have ever had.He is the one I brought back from Kansas.

So hopefully moving him up to the naughty box barn and run it will be safer for all of us. My does have been cycling and its made him even crazier. I was trying to put feed in for him today and he almost beat my arm off.If I get a son from him next year I will be getting rid of him tootsweet. I don't care what his bloodlines are its not worth keeping an animal that aggressive. I am getting to old for this. Does anyone else have a mean buck?
I miss my other buck he was such a nice boy but he never was able to work again after the menegeal did permanent damage to his back. I loved that buck he was so gentle and beautiful.He was able to walk again but not work.

I hope the 2 boys I kept from him will turn out like him but who knows at this point. They are still young and easy to handle.

Still milking once a day and made feta cheese 4 days ago. This time I am going to marinate one of them after its done curing.Anybody else still milking? I am not getting much now but sure glad to get what I am getting.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Sep 23 2013 06:08:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  07:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Well Eli (Mr Meanie super stinky) is in the naughty box run. We were able to get him there without getting hurt. Once he realized we were heading up closer to where he could see the girls he was all for that and drug us up the hill. The little boys are now down where he was. So life should be a little less dangerous now......I am so relieved I can't tell you.

We all stripped our stinky clothes off and threw them down to the basement to be washed and ran for the showers. I can't believe how bad we all smelled. Homemade soap does wonders at removing it I am a true believer of this. I used the Lavender/patchouli this time one of my favorite scents.

Now off to throw a load of super stinky clothes in the wash and put some more fat on to render. I have 55 lbs of this stuff to process.
I love fall but hate when the boys start putting on their stink. I don't know how the does could possibly like that but they say they do.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Sep 23 2013 07:55:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile
eww that does not sound/smell like any fun. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad Linda.
I separated Trina and momma tonight. I had 3 milkings of about a quart of milk. Was not worth dirtying up the milker or stainer. I did lock Momma in the barn yard, so she could see baby and baby see her. Trina is eating hay already, and a little chunk. Linda, I have never scented my laundry soap. How do you do that? Do you make dry or the wet type of soap? I make the dry.
Loving my raw milk!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele the soap I used was my homemade goatmilk castile soap thats what we took our baths with.Our clothes were stinky but our arms were just as bad and homemade soap is the only thing that seems to remove this from our skin.

When I make homemade laundry soap I make the dry. I just mix in whatever essential oils I want with a big fork or spoon or you could shake it around in a large freezer bag. You can add whatever you like best.For the laundry soap I like to add rosemary/mint or sometimes lavender/patchouli. The skies the limit. I use about 20 drops for each batch. Hope this helps.

I know that does not sound like alot of milk but at least you know whats in it and how it was handled. I only got a quart this morning but to me at least its good milk and I am not paying almost $7dollars a gallon for organic. I know I will be doing that by the time Nov. rolls around because sometime after that I will be having carpal tunnel surgery on the other hand.
Hopefully as the baby grows which she sounds like a little chub already you will get more. I am so glad your baby is doing so well its nice when things go so well with mama and the baby.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  3:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda for telling me how you add oils to your soap. I will have to give it a try. Ha the sky is the limit on some of the prices of essential oils too.
Oh I agree with small amounts of milk are better then boughten. I do enjoy the once a day milking now. I got a gallon and a quarter this morning. Didn't quite milk her out though. Trina was hungry. I got about a half an inch cream line. That will increase once I wean baby.
I sure wish you the best of luck with your other wrist. Hope it goes very well.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  3:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Michele I get my essential oils through Bamble Berry online. I buy mine in 16 oz bottles but you can purchase less. They are pretty reasonable on their prices and I think their oils are super nice. Here is the link to their website. I really like their website it has alot of info and cool stuff to try.

http://www.brambleberry.com/default.aspx

Wow thats a good amount and the cream..... I am seeing butter in your future.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Sep 24 2013 3:43:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  06:53:19 AM  Show Profile
well howdy, I thought I would stop in and say hi. I am missing every one here. my days are slower for now. the heart attacks wore me out some. I know I will be better soon. we are milking one jersey girl right now. I was milking 2 times a day. she only gives about a gallon at night. there is a bull in with the girls for now. he is a red polled dexter. very handsome man. so the last 2 nights he would not let sweetie leave. NOR did she want to. so I am now deciding if now is a good time to go to once a day. it felt good last night to not have to drag the machine out. I enjoyed the extra time. he is a possessive bull. I have respect for him. when I get her in the morning I carry a cattle prod. normally he is a good boy. right now he is a bull with a mission. I am hoping standing heat is over today. then he has to cover flower. she is a white park/ jersey cross. so when all is done I will have 3 bred girls. then he can go home. while I was in the hospital we let some customers go. that has made it easier too. right now I am getting 4 to 4 1/2 gallons a day. with her bred back and at once a day I figure I will get 3 gallons. I agree once a day milking rocks michelle. we do not need it to pay bills with now. so it has been more enjoyable. for soap products I like essential depot also. I am creating a liquid castile with whiskey in it. it is for a whiskey distiller here. we named it frisky whiskey. well time to get moving. hoping you all have happy days. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page