Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  11:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Here's my new little herd!
Roryn the bull, Ruthie (the Guernsey with more white) and Belle (the Guernsey with more red), and dependable, solid Sunny, the Jersey.
April isn't with them because she won't stay weaned, Ugh!, and she was recently in heat and is way too small for Roryn.

The "herd" enjoying some grazing. The Guernseys haven't seen grazing in a few years! Not that my pasture is much more than weeds, but it will get there.

Roryn, soon to be 3 years old.

Roryn is enjoying having some fresh dirt spots to rub on and dust in!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  2:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Thats a nice little herd you have Alicia. Love the goat kids climbing on the cow.Love all the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  05:55:01 AM  Show Profile
Very cute pictures, Alicia. I love the kids on the cow. (Reminds me of when I had the rams in with the Freedom Rangers and they were all over the rams.) And the headless cow too!

Last night, while feeding and milking the goats, I noticed Sandy had goo in the rear end. On my calendar, the 7th is the last day she would carry these kids. 155 days. So put her in the stall with hay and water. Checked on her before going to bed. Nothing. Got up this morning early. Went out to check on her. NOTHING! What is up with this darn goat? I am done with her. This is rediculous. I do believe Zeeboo will have kids before she does and I don't think Zeeboo's even pregnant. I have farmer's market today. So maybe while I'm gone, she just might have something.

Could y'all please send up some prayers for my step dad today? Yesterday morning, my mom had to take him to the ER. They had gone Sunday night and they sent him home. This time, they kept him. His BP was 49/24. And he has pneumonia. Plus he had a blockage in his abdomen, which was also full of fluid. So put him in ICU right away. Called doctors and surgeons. They did decide to operate yesterday afternoon for the blockage. WHich turned out to be a small hernia wrapped around some bowel. He was in so much pain too. So now he's hooked up to a ventilator, all kinds of IV's in both arms. They kept him sedated all night. He made it through the night. Mom's there now. He's still in ICU and will probably be for awhile. He's 330 pounds. And doesn't get up much anymore. Just turned 72 last week. He's had prostate cancer too. So please say a prayer for him. His name is Gary. He and mom have been married 34 years now. They married right after me and my husband.

It's another nice day here. Yesterday was beautiful. But had so much to do in town. Then the hospital. So no planting. I did buy a flat of tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. I'll have to get them in the ground tomorrow. I hope y'all have a great day! I'm going back to the Main St. market. I love it there already. Taking dandelion jelly and greens and peppermint jelly. And my soaps.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  12:14:40 PM  Show Profile
i am just loving all the photos. mine are stuck. anyway i thought i would share our news. we have been pig sitting some mini pigs. the folks lost the farm. one had babies today. oh my goodness, soooo cute, soooo little. she had 3. i am now securing the hut. the wiggle like worms going every where. i also have a cow due to calve tomorrow. we are getting close. we just brought sweetie here a few weeks ago. she is a super small jersey with a full size udder. i had sold isabelles calf sophie to her a few years ago. so she had this girl. i love her already. we have her tucked in the barn tent. i can see her from the house at night with the lights on. she is a black face girl. so some fun happening here. i miss you all. we are all so busy these days. happy days to all you farmgirls. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  07:06:24 AM  Show Profile
well sweetie was due 4 days ago. gads she is a jersey girl. big as a barn. her previous owner was here the other day. as soon as sweetie saw her she let her milk down. she was dripping full. its the only time she dripped. what a cutie she is. her height is perfect for me. i can lay my arm across her back. little girl BIG udder. we also have another mini pig due. it is so much fun. today my sis is having surgery. so some one else is milking hazel. happy days to you all. yes i will some day bring my 2 girls home. i miss my lamancha gigner when she snuggles.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  04:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Has the baby arrived yet Sherrye? Waiting is hard! Good luck with calving.
Spring has sprung here finally. Well sort of. Possible frost tonight. Just as the buds on the fruit trees are starting to open. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't. Have had lots of rain, so grass is growing. Was able to spread fertilizer on the hay fields. We really need a good crop this year. Hoping to get the garden planted next week! Sheep got sheared last monday. It was nice to have it done, and well worth the money. 5 dollars a piece, and I gave the shearer a tip. My neighbor had called the shearer for her flock, and I trailed my two over to her house. This morning it is 37 with a cold breeze. Poor Jill is in the barn shivering! They are nice and fat, so should be fine.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  07:12:31 AM  Show Profile
yes the baby is here. the jersey was bred to a full size jersey bull. she is such a small cow. so the baby was hugs for her. she went down when it crowned. she cried out loud from the pain. i pulled the calf. its head was stuck. all turned out well. she is a light colored calf with a white lightening bolt on her forehead. mama is doing great. i am going to watch her for milk fever since she is 5 yrs. i spent the morning at hospita;l. my sis had surgery. then home for calf birthing. so i am a tired girl today. happy days here.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherry glad you were there to help get her out.I hope she stay healthy and recovers well after the birth. Sounds like you could name that calf some cute names with a lightning bolt on her head. Do you have a name yet? I hope you can post pictures of her later.
Sorry to hear about your sister. I hope all went well for her. You need to get some rest too and take care of yourself. I can only imagine how tired you are.Will say a prayer for your sis. Hugs to you sweetie.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Hope your sister is doing well Sherrye. Glad you made it back to assist with the birth. I think cows are alot like people when giving birth. some are quiet and some hollar like crazy! Hope you dont' get no milk fever. Catching it early is the best.
Hi Linda, hope you are doing well. We ;had frost here this am. 29. I hope it didnt' hurt any of the blossums. Got the yard all mowed and trimmed up again. working on cleaning out flower beds. I hope to get some container plants tomorrow morning. No garden planted yet either. So plenty to do. But forecasting rain again. Not going to complain for moisture.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  6:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele doing okay and hope you are well too.... thats pretty cold but you are up north. You just have to get started later than us.We have had way to much rain at my place and it washed part of the garden away so replanted twice now. I still have some more to plant but now they are calling for frost. The last date for frost is suppose to be May 15th. Dangit this seems to happen every year. I guess I should wait until June to plant or maybe plant when you do and maybe we will be safe. Every year it seems to hit us later and later.
I just came in from trying to cover 36 tomato plants , 25 sweet potato, 9 sweet pepper plants and other stuff. I used every sheet, garbage can, pail you name it I covered the best I could. My garden looks really strange now for sure.I hope it works.

I seperated the 2 bucks from there mama, Snackcake about a week ago just at night and she still has her little doe Twinkie with her. The big babies sure don't like it but they are 12 weeks old.I am going to have to make it permanent because they will be doing what little bucks do and I don't want any unplanned breeding.
I am milking her once a day and am so happy to have goat milk again. Seems like its been forever. I made ricotta cheese and custurd. I love the custurd pudding with nutmeg on the top.

Nite all.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 24 2013 6:34:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  03:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Morning Linda, hope you didn't freeze. Your garden sounds well protected! Even if it does look funny! I usually plant the cold weather stuff sooner, but with all the moisture we have had, just have not gotten it done. It sure does not take goat babies very long to grow up. How is the wrist doing, with the milking chores? I will have to dry up my cow something this month. I still have not looked up her due date! Maybe today I will take the time.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  09:12:58 AM  Show Profile
We did not freeze but were only a couple of degrees away from it. I am down in a low area and it will freeze here but not in other areas that are close to me. Tonight it is not suppose to be as cold.So maybe I have dodged it this year.

Well Michele the hand and wrist are not that good but better than a month ago so I have hope it will slowly improve over time.
I have just started milking this past week and it does hurt. The doe I am milking is very easy to milk and I am only milking her once a day. Thats about all I can handle at this point. Her babies are with her the rest of the day. I need to have my other hand done its getting really bad and goes numb but am waiting to see if the other one will get better so I can get that one done.Then with all the other outdoor farm stuff and garden and yard work I am constantly overdueing it. But I want to get these things done and try to keep up.I have to trim hoooves again and I have 23 goats. OMG thats 92 hooves....I must be crazy. But I will do a few a day and it will get done.

Even tho I have the hand pain I am also happy to come in with fresh milk, eggs and hoping to have some things to can from the garden. It makes it all worth while.I was out taking all the covers off this morning and noticed my second planting of beets didn't all wash away from the last rain and I think I might even see carrots not sure but I think some of them made it too. I love beets they are one of my favorite veggies. I am going to try to plant more of them.

When your cow is dried up are you milking any other ones? How long before she freshens so you will have milk again?
Well its a good thing you didn't plant to soon because it would have froze anyway. My hubby is from Wisconsin and some of his family still lives up there. The weather there is so nice in the summer compared to hot, humid Ohio.We sometimes talk about moving there someday. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 25 2013 09:13:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Where is WI is your husband from? All your work sure doesn't help with the wrist.
I dry my cow up for 2 months. No I don't have anyone else to milk right now. Her heifer is a year old now. Not sure I want to milk two cows. Dealing with one cows milk is plenty sometimes. And as much as I miss the milk, it is nice to be able to take that break. I milk twice aday. I do share milk once the baby is big enough, and that is nice milking once a day.
Got my flower beds weeded yesterday. Now I need to do the rasp/blueberry garden. Then I would be caught up, and ready to start over! I do try to mulch everything so that helps alot.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  05:32:07 AM  Show Profile
He was from Appleton Wisconsin. He really misses living up there. His parents moved here due to his dad getting transfered to Ohio. He was a teenager and really didn't handle the move well. His parents still own a cottage up on a lake called Archibald Lake. His 2 sisters...one lives near there and the other near Madison.

I understand about taking a break. It really is nice and gives the hands time off.I forget you milk cows and you get way more milk than I do.If you milked 2 you would be drowning in milk for sure. But then after a time I miss the milk again too....lol.Yeah you get almost caught up and its time to start over. I still am trying to get caught up. I don't know if that ever happens but maybe someday.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 26 2013 05:33:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  04:45:42 AM  Show Profile
We can always hope to be caught up for a while. I did finish the berry garden yesterday. Took 4 hours, but dug a ditch around the whole thing to try to keep the quack from sending its roots in. I hope something works anyways.
Ah Appleton, my husband has relatives in that area. We are about 4 hours away from there. Halfway between Eau Claire and Hayward.
Got milk sitting to make curds this morning. My sister is having a picnic, so cheese will be one of my contributions.
They are predicting a wet week for us. Wont' get the garden in, but hopefully will get caught up with house cleaning. I started washing walls, but only got one room done. I got to get up and fix fence too, so we can get the beef cows up on pasture. I checked it last night, and not too much to fix.

take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  12:02:16 PM  Show Profile

This is Pixie, my yearling Nubina first freshener. I hant really planned on her having a kid this young, but sometimes them dang bucks dont ask permission. But anyways, she is 7 weeks fresh here. And I think she will be a very promising young doe.
I have been making cheese with all this extra milk I am getting now, since I am only doing 3 bottles a day now, I am so tired of bottling babies! Got one with one week left and one with five!
Made queso blanco yesterday, lots of banana bread and whole wheat, and then today have a gallon of yogurt in the oven to keep warm while it works, and getting ready for the next step for my cottage cheese. Next is either a chevre or a soft mold cheese havent decided yet. But I do love making this stuff. Get to use my milk instead of pouring it out. I can only drink so much, and my freezer is full. :)
And so far I have been lucky and have missed the heavy rains, got a small shower early this morning, but thats it. Havent been lucky with my garden either. I uually have tons of stuff in, but only tomatoes and carrots, it was to wet for to long...

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  09:44:54 AM  Show Profile
oh jennifer she is beautiful. wow she looks very sweet too. michele how is your hand this week? it sure does take a looooong time to heal. i just wanted to say howdy. i have pics now. so will post soon. i am sleepless and stupid from a new cow freshening. i am taking my sis to the dr. check up today. so far so good. my friend is here from arizona too. so i am brain dead now. so much fun. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  1:50:58 PM  Show Profile

I just had to show off my two boys! Was taking pics of the goats for my daughters 4-H projects and just loved how they looked from a picture stand point. The brown and white one is, Snickerdoodle. I bought him from Linda last year. The solid guy with silver ears is, Sharif, from Saada Dairy goats. I also got him last year. Both these boys are 14 months old and each is a hand full! Sharif can be a butthead and onrey, while Snickers can be pushy and 'dont touch me' type. Both are good boys though, but they were being little snots today. Hopefully will get to see what these guys can do in my herd in the next few years. :)

Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  1:58:09 PM  Show Profile

Linda, here is pics of Bebe and Pixie. We took them before milking this morning. Bebe is increasing her milk again for me, and Pixie is doing the same, but a bit more slowly. I am going to start uping her grain, as I think she is loosing condition to fast. Now, Bebe, well she can due to loose a few pounds! Hahha :)
Sherrye, thanks for the comments. Pixie is pretty and can be annoying at the same time.. :)
Hope everyone can get some thing accomplished this week. I need to!! :)

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  11:08:04 AM  Show Profile
well lots of cheanges here again. LOL we are milking 3 cows now. 15 gallons a day. 6 gallons is waste. my cow belle had a calf sophia blue bell. she is a 3 years old now. her calf died in birth. the folks that own her had some challenges. sophie a first calf heifer got mastitis. so i have sophie here, plus a cow i bought that calved here and hazel. it has been very hard very rewarding and a learning event. with papas help we have them trained to lead off the car to come milk. we have to walk a loooong ways to get them. they did great. the mastitis is looking better too. so the calf and sophie will be going. then i have 2 in milk. which is legal in oregon. we butchered sweet potatoe she hung at 618. i sold the whole hog. we also sold jelly bean she is 500 pounds and minnie 200 pounds. we are looking at going into kune kune pigs. we bought 3 duroc weaners yesterday. it will be easier with 3000 pounds of animals gone. LOL all the goats are sooo good looking. we lost our betty boop. she was a boer doe. very sweet and loving to kids. sooo sad.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  5:10:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherry sorry you lost Betty Boop. What happened to her was she sick or just old. If you get some Kune pigs would love to see pictures.

I am down to 17 goats total. I am hoping to sell my last 2 bucks they are really pretty.Once they are sold that will put me down to 15. Thats way to many still but working on that too. I have way to many animals and I need to scale back more but get so attached to them. I bought 10 new chicks this spring and still have 20 of the old ones. I think I will put an add at the feed mill to give some of them away free. I would like to get down to around 20 chickens, thats still alot but still more than I need. I just have a few oldsters that are to sweet and too old to give away. They will live their life out here.
My feed bill is so out of hand and I have too many animals for just the 3 of us. If I was able to sell milk and cheese I could see keeping so many animals and same with the chickens but where I live I don't have a market and I am not a grade A dairy so I am not allowed to sell milk for any reason....not even give it away without getting into trouble. Its frustrating cause I love having the animals.

I am milking 3 does once a day so I have milk again...........hooray!!! I have made cheese a few times. I still have not made any feta. I need to try that and I just love Feta. I forgot to pick up buttermilk and I know I need that to make it.

Anyway wanted to bump up this thread and see what you other ladies are up to with your milking animals. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 11 2013 5:10:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2013 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I am milking Penelope once a day now. She's been going since early Feb. twice a day. Then Zarah got sick from eating too much corn shucks. So had to quit feeding her then she's about dried up. I was milking her OAD too. And that really hurts because now I am only getting about 3 cups from Penelope. So last night I put Sandy's triplets up in a stall. But this morning, Diana was out. Darn goats! So I only got about 2 cups from her. I guess I'll have to see if I can take the triplets up the road when they are ready to wean, just so I'll have milk.

It's been so wet and rainy here the past several weeks. I did finally get to mow most everything Tuesday. THen we had a hellacious storm last night. So sopping wet today. With more rain coming tonight. I hate night storms. And today, the grass looks like I never even mowed it. It's like a flippin' jungle out there! It's going to be hard to catch up now and keep it looking decent. Today was HOT and HUMID! I am sitting here drenched from being outside feeding animals.

I am like you, Linda. Spending WAY too much money one animals lately. Wat too much. But I am butchering meat birds for the next several weeks, so hopefully will make a little. Then won't have that big huge bill anymore. I am still trying to sell John henry and Ira Joe. And I'd like to sell Zarah and Zeeboo too. But not much buying going on around here.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  2:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Connie is dry now, till Aug. 24 or so. Saying I am on vacation, but I sure don't like buying dairy products in the store. Got haying done, and trying to keep up with the weeds.
Got to get at my wool next.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
It's been a busy summer.
Ruthie calved, a little bull calf I named Chuck, on May 11th. Belle calved June 20th, a heifer calf we call Carly (for Caramel), and I'm not sure that Sunny took her breeding in September. But I'm still milking her.
3 cows in milk, lots of cheese happening around here!
And we took Sweetie-goat's boys to the ranch. They had here drained all the time I was thinking that she had dried herself up and I just wouldn' t have goats' milk. Now that the boys are gone I get 3 pints from her once a day!! My first batch of Feta was a flop, but I'm using it in my baking too. The bread came out sooo yummy!

I need to sell April, Sunny's yearling heifer calf. She STILL nurses when she is in with Sunny! Makes me think twice about having the cow raise the calf. But I hate bottles!! I have someone up the road interested in Apri. We'll see. Her sale could put a nice stack of hay in the yard, but I've worked so hard with her to be a nice family cow!!

We've been having 100+ temps in the daytime, what little pasture I had is chewed up and dried up. But the evening thunder storms have been bringing some rain. Fourth of July it poured and was so awesome!

I need to sell Chuck. He's a register-able Guernsey, good bloodlines, 2 months+ old now. Not too much luck locally, it's all Angus X beef cows around here. I hope he can go be a future herd sire, otherwise I'll band him and he'll go in the freezer.

Off to do more chores and panel moving outside now that it's cooled down some!
Happy Milking!!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  5:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like my goat issue around here. Everyone has boers and finding dairy does has been impossible! We picked up another doe last night at an auction. She is probably about 5-6 mo old, a bit older than Daisy Mae. We named her Lucy. So now we have 2!!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page