Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Well howdy there Sherry. Thats a funny but cute name for the soap. I have never heard of putting whiskey in soap before.
I am milking once a day too. I am milking a goat(Pumpkin) so I am only getting about 5 cups a day but thats enough to keep me from buying from the store.This time of the year their milk gets so dense and rich.I had oatmeal this morning with Pumpkins milk on it and it tasted like sweetened cream.
Glad to see you up and around and improving. Just take your time and don't overdue it. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 27 2013 08:14:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye and Linda. Hope all is going well. Got to love the once a day milkings. My calf is almost 2 months old, so another month or two and I will be milking twice a day. My pigs go on Wed. so will have to start making more cheese etc. It was nice only making it if I needed it. Whiskey soap sounds interesting for sure.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  06:42:52 AM  Show Profile
here in the bend area beer has become the rage. every where you go they want to fill your growler. we have many crafted beer places. papa and I pick up the waste from a distiller. Oregon spirits makes whiskey, vodka. it is excellent quality. I do not drink. porphyria and alcohol do not work. we feed the waste to pigs. it is pure protein. the sugars and carbs are used for the alcohol. so some soapers are making beer soap and wine soaps. so I had always wanted to learn the art of hop process liquid soap. now I have used the whiskey to help clear the liquid. now I need to figure how much to use for ir to smell whiskey in your nose. when we delivered the first one they smelled it first. no whiskey smell. so need to work on that today. we have rain and snow coming. all the animals have a warm spot. so after chores I am in the house. Michele I was milking 2 times a day. my heart attacks took my power. so I was glad to cut back. plus with social security now we can work a little less. sweetie is just the right size. her butt fits under my arm pit. I am missing kris. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  6:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye, you sure keep busy, even when you have slowed down! Good luck with the soap making.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  5:20:51 PM  Show Profile
For those of you that make milk soap, how do you check the ph level?
I made some soap for the first time, I bought some ph strips. Looks like it is between 10 and 11.
My dh used a sliver of the soap and said it felt fine. but I am still worried about using it?

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2013 :  05:37:57 AM  Show Profile
I have never used a ph strip, so can't help you. I do let my soap cure for a month before using it. It has always been fine.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  10:47:03 AM  Show Profile
I too have never used the ph strips either. I let mine cure at least 21 days and its always fine.I don't know of anyone who makes soap that uses them. Sandra if your soap has cured at least 3 to 4 weeks it will be just fine. Are you using tallow and vegetable oil mixture or just veggie oil only?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  11:54:20 AM  Show Profile
The recipe I used Olive Oil and Coconut Oil.
thanks for the help.
It took me a long time to make soap with lye. Every book I read gives so many warnings. They recommend the strips. The strip says it is high. My husband has lathered the soap up and used it and says it is fine..
The whole thing makes me nervous :)
I appreciate the comments!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Making soap shouldn't make you nervous. Olive oil and coconut should be ready by four weeks. I have used mine before the full four weeks, and like Linda says, it is just fine. It is fun making and then using your own soap. Soon you will be an expert! Maybe start by using your soap for hand washing. Then move on to your face and body. enjoy

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  6:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I am now making hot process soap. it is cooked for 2 hours in a crock pot. then put in mold. next day cut. it is best after a week but can be used right away. Kimberly essential soap has you tube videos. I am in love with this hot soap technique. I am doing holiday baskets for folks. lip balm, body butter, hand and body soap and a liquid castile. then I add chocolates biscotti etc. I have 10 preordered. very very fun. i too am down to once a day milking. sweetie gives about 2 1/2 gallons. pretty sure she is bred. happy days to you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  03:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye,
Sounds like you have a fun recipe. Good luck with the sales. Hope things are going well now for you. I am milk sharing with my calf right now. Works out well, so glad for the break. Trying to sell my heifer and some Hereford young stock.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  2:29:52 PM  Show Profile
I have Nubian dairy goats and I make goat milk soaps using the milk. I have never used a ph strip on my soaps. As long as the soap cures/dries at least 3 weeks it should be fine. It can be used earlier but tends to "melt" faster as most of the moisture has not cured out of it.Keeping your soap dry makes it last longer.

The times I believe you really need to use a ph strip is when making liquid and cream soaps.

~ Betty ~

Edited by - Dapple Grey Lady on Dec 03 2013 2:30:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  09:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone just checking in on all our dairy girls.

I had to run my one buck from Kansas to the stock yards. He just about beat me to death. It was the third and final time and I am no spring chicken and can't take a beating from a mean buck like that anymore. The whole family was glad to be rid of him. I paid too much money for him but its not worth keeping such a dangerous animal like that. He is the worst and meanest animal I have had in 22 years.I have bucks get a little crazy during the rut but this guy was crazy.

I had my other hand operated on and its been 6 weeks since the surgery. Its slowly but surely healing and I can type pretty good now. Its been hard doing chores cause I am right handed and its been so much harder then when I had the left hand done. But I should be good to go once the babies are weaned and I can get back to milking.I sure do miss the goat milk it was so good.

My girls are really starting to round out in their pregnancies. My first ones are due around the 19th of Feb. and a couple in each month until the beginning of May. I only have 6 does bred but they are spread out.

We have been having a colder then usual winter and more snow and then we usually get.When its not cold and snowy we get tons of rain. We have been really going through the hay this winter. We are going for another 100 bales tomorrow.We have been through almost 200 bales this late fall and winter and I only have 14 Nubians. They all look good but are getting stir crazy with all the bad weather and we got another 4 inches of snow last night and this morning so they are in the barn. The door is open just enough for them to go out but they don't seem to interested.......I don't blame them.Last week we went to -8 below and the wind chills were -30 below. It was really brutal. I managed to get a light frost bite on my thighs how weird is that. First time for everything.

Well hope everyone is doing well and will check in later. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 17 2014 09:23:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile
With this extremely cold weather this winter, having livestock can be a challenge. We lost a couple of our older does, which where more like pets. It has not been the best of days around here.
I hope everyone else is faring well.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  11:05:34 AM  Show Profile
Sandra I am so sorry you lost your sweet pet does. I know you are up above me and the weather is always way worse for you guys. I hope you don't lose anyone else.
I am glad I am not kidding right now that would be so much worse. I have a friend who had 2 does kid they both had triplets and she had to use heat lamps on them when we went down to -30 windchills. They pulled through but she sure was worried about them.I know my goats even though they were in the barn with the doors shut and had lots of hay and heated water they still were super cold and shivered. I was glad after a few days it finally warmed up a little. Crazy weather this year.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  11:22:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda. We have been having some problems with our goats with parasites. I think I have tracked it back to possibly copper deficiency, since wa are not having problems with our sheep. We are trying copper boluses to see if that helps. They went into winter in less than good condition and the cold was just an added factor they didn't need, and they were older. I hope the copper helps!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile
I use to have wool sheep years ago and know they can't have the copper. I had the diary goats at the same time.I offered the goats coppersulfate out of a tupperware bowl every other day. Some of them would eat the heck out of it and some would pass it up and take it the next time.Goats truly do need alot of copper.Now that I don't have sheep I can keep it out free choice with their other minerals.
Have not done the boluses before so have no info on that but it should get their copper levels back up. I would maybe worm your goats in conjunction with the copper and repeat again in 10 days and see if you can break the egg cycle in them. Since its winter it would be a good time to do this.Just a suggestion and I hope the copper helps.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  07:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks!
We have wormed them several times and am doing fecals with the vet, to see if we are making any progress.
I hope to see improvement.
This extremely cold weather is not helping!!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  07:56:08 AM  Show Profile
OMG the weather was so nice the past 2 days here. It made it up to 44 degrees and the snow mostly melted and it was actually sunny!! Overnight the snow came in and we have 6 inches of blowing snow and its already dropped 12 degrees since I did chores this morning....its brutal outside. We are suppose to have below zero temps the next 5 days with horrible wind.If its this bad cold here I bet you all are way colder. Did you get the snow overnight?

I hope the fecals come back good and the copper starts to help your animals it should from what I have read and experience with my own goats. The worms have been so bad this past year for everyone.Your not in this alone. I have had so many people I know lose their goats to parasites this past year.I know copper has helped here but its still a struggle. Stay warm and be safe.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  08:04:07 AM  Show Profile
Linda, we didn't get any more snow, just drifting from the wind. It was 5 degrees this morning but below zero with the windchill. Today is the warmer day for the week, it looks like it is going downhill from here! Coldest Winter I can ever remember! It has been hard on the livestock, but I think the sheep are handling it better than I am!!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Linda~ I am sure you all were glad to get rid of a mean buck. So far ours are manageble. Last week when hubby was putting one back after breeding the other knocked him down, ran smooth over him to get to the does pen. A first. We had have a weird breeding season with does not coming in like they should. Our first kiddings will start April 1st. Glad that your hand is healing up. We also have Nubians.

Sandra~ So sorry that you lost your does. Hope it all gets better for you.

The weather was nice the last couple of days, in fact it was hot at 75+ here. Tonight it is supposed to be 26. Weather sure has been weird.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  09:17:17 AM  Show Profile
The breeding season was kinda weird here too Betty.That is why some of mine are not kidding until the 1st of May. I actually used Lutalyse(sp?) on one of my does that has only kidded one time. She just never cycled since last fall. I don't know if it worked or not. Had never done this before and as far as I know she may have not taken. So I just will have to wait and watch for signs and hope for the best. That is the first time I have had a doe NOT cycle in 22 years. She was a new milker and did really well and had wonderful milk. So I really hope she took.She is such a sweetie.

Sandra I know what you mean. This cold is kick'in my butt or should I say freezing it off. I have been doing all kinds of stuff since 7:20 this morning involving animals and wood and managed to squeeze in some breakfast. I splurged today and had bacon and over easy eggs from the girls. I have to say it was so good. Then it was backoutside. Now I am in for a little while until I pack out hot water again. They are now saying we will be like the artic well into Feb. That is so unusual for Ohio. So all one can do is buckle down and make the best of it. I know I am burning more calories so I think I am going to make a cake,pie, or maybe cookies.... at least that sounds like a good excuse to bake something sweet. Not sure what to make yet but I feel I need it.........lol. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  12:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Linda~ We have a couple that will be due in June..... Not really what I wanted. I was told to get some Cystalin (sp)and give in the event it is cystic ovaries. This will be the 2nd kidding of our herd since we have had them. Last year was no problem getting all of the does bred.

The one thing I haven't learned yet is drawing blood tests to send off..... Hubby took them to the vet last go round.

Along with this cold weather coming in I have a pot of soup on! It is supposed to get down to 25 here tonight and tomorrow night. It has been raining all afternoon.

We have our fresh yard eggs here too.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  05:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, have not been on here for a while. Hope all is going well. I don't even want to mention the cold we have been having. Last night the wind blew all night, and the driveways are all drifted again. Milking my cow here. Did hand milking for about a month, as the vacuum pump didn't want to run. But got it going again. My 2 sheep have spent most of the winter in the barn. They couldn't handle the cold and deep snow. They would kind of freeze up and not walk too well, like a dog. So I let them out of the pen to run around and get some sunshine. Lets all cross our fingers for an early spring!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  07:48:27 AM  Show Profile
We rarely ever have snow that lasts past 8 hours. There is still snow this morning and it is all melting off the roofs now.

Our older does would only peek out of the barn and would not go out in it. The younger does were out walking like cats shaking their feet and cautiously walking around. This morning hubby was out with some warm water for them and busting ice in the water buckets.

This weather is crazy. Tuesday low at night will be 19 and then by this next Saturday it will be 78 for th high temp. So don't go packing those summer clothes away! :)

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page