Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Here's some info I found and copied it off the internet that I thought was pretty good.Its a base line and of course it depends on the animal. Some of my girls are easy keepers and some of them are not. Hope this is helpful.

Linda

Feeding the Doe
Milking does should be fed a concentrate feed that contains 16% non-urea (natural) protein. When the doe is not in milk or in the last 6 weeks of gestation, she can receive a lower percentage of protein. We have found the commercially prepared 16% feed to be a good feed to give to all the goats year round.
Up until the last 6 weeks of pregnancy, the doe can have just a small amount of grain or none at all. (She should have been dried up at least 60 days before her due date.) We then start feeding a little grain, increasing up to a pound twice a day until delivery. Because there is so much difference in goats and the amount of milk they produce, it is very difficult to give an exact formula for feeding. One general rule of thumb is: 1/3 pound of grain for every pint of milk produced. None of our goats are real heavy milkers and we feed between one and 1½ lbs of grain twice per day. If you raise babies on the doe, you have to estimate the feeding needs. When you "dry her up" (stop milking her or take babies away) you should also stop her grain for a period of time, probably until she is 6 weeks from delivery.

A milking doe also needs a good quality, high protein roughage source such as alfalfa. We mix alfalfa and good grass hay together, feeding about two pounds of hay per head twice a day. We have found that the goats are pretty good judges of how much they should have (so long as it is not all tasty fresh alfalfa, on which they will over indulge). .

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 29 2013 5:30:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  10:31:42 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2013/04/milking-zarah-or-not.html

What a time I had this morning with Zarah. 1st time trying to milk her!

Any good suggestions? I've never had this problem ever before.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  10:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Thankx for the tips ladies.
Our 4-H leader stopped by to take a look at her. She has dairy goats and has had goats for years. While Tami is quick to point out that she is not an "expert", she was very helpful with her years of experience.

SweetHeart (my oldest named her)is a nubian cross, you can tell by some of her characteristics (like her ears and how they hang and length) that she is not full bred.
I don't know her age, nor when she was bred, really don't know a whole lot on her history. She was milked at a previous home, the friend I got her from said they had the milking stanchion and the whole "set up".

Tami thinks she most likely has some age to her, but overall she is looking to be in good health. Her hair coat is in the normal range for coarseness (I will still be worming her with the safeguard, thankx for the tip).
Tami gave me some "Goat Royal Dinner" pellets, the name cracks me up, to try before I buy a whole bag for her. She loves it! So does April the big baby heifer, so I'll be getting her out and into the milking parlor.

Another friend who grew up with goats thinks that her kids may have moved more into position to get ready for birthing. SweetHeart is looking drawn in at the flanks, and that is her theory. While I have no idea on estimated due date I will just be checking her a few times a day for...a long time perhaps! hehe
(I've always been a horse person, in horses that means they need water and/or elctrolites)

I'm going to look at the Guernseys on Wednesday. I'm ready to say yes or no on these guys. I think the bull may be the clincher on the deal, so we'll just see how this goes!

The White cows of Sherrye's are very pretty. But again, really rare in my area. I can always cross with the Angus or Hereford for a hardier yet still decent milker.
Sunny was bred to an Angus bull, so we'll just see what we get and where this goes.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  5:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, any kids yet? My Sandy is just a few weeks away from kidding now. I can see changes all the time.

I'm going to nashville next Monday to get a milking machine from a guy who makes them. I tried to milk Zarah the other day and there is NO way I am going to get anything from her with such little tiny teats. So I'll use the machine on her. For just $200, I get a whole set up with a battery too. It comes with an outer container that you put water in and freeze, so when you milk, the bucket's in that container and the milk gets cooled really fast. A friend already bought one from him and she milks 9 goats. She loves it.

I'm also about to get my first ever bee hive in a few days! We have to go to Sale Creek, Tn. and get them at night. I am really getting excited about getting bees. I just love them.

I think we have had the wettest winter ever. And it's still raining. All day now. And all night. I have lots of cedar trees and it never gets dry under them. I had a friend call a few days ago wanting to cut some. I do believe I will let him. I am really sick of these particular trees anyway. It's just going to be a big mess. There is another huge one out in the garden that really needs to go because the sun goes behind it way too early in the afternoon.

I am going to have my 2 bucks butchered and made into sausage soon. I can't sell them so we shall just eat them. I am hoping to be able to have them butchered right here and taken to some people who make artisan sausages at the Main St. market. It'll cost a bit more, but will be well worth the money to have fresh homemade sausage without all the extra stuff I don't like. And being goat, I think this will be the best way to do it. I hope to be able to get the pigs butchered here too. I am checking on that. I just hate to even think of having to load those pigs onto a trialer that they do not want to get into. Then have them stay on a hard cold concrete floor overnight with huge hogs who could eat them in one bite. Too scary.

Hope all is well with you all.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2013 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Well I thought I would catch up on the thread and post. I have been very sick with a virus my son brought home. He got over it and I didn't. I ended up in the emergency room last saturday cause I felt horrible and could hardly breath and after 2 weeks became weaker and the fever came back. To make a long story short I had pneumonia (sp)?. They did IV antibiotics and gave me a big shot in the rump. Sent me home with more meds and went to the doctor 24 hrs later to make sure I was not worse. I am finally on the mend but still weak. Doing chores has been like climbing a mountain. But the past few days I can tell I am getting better..

My doe Fern was due over 4 days ago. I was getting worried cause she seemed pretty big. She finally kidded today with 2 very big girls. They are doing fine and so is mama. I just came in from checking on her. This is her second freshening and what an udder on this girl. Fern is a very gentle doe and one of my favorites. Both girls nursed within 10 minutes and are walking quite well. They were born at 6 this evening and the weather was warm.......perfect for birthing but not too warm. I have one more doe to freshen the 18th of this month and they will be done. Its been a girl year for them. I have had 2 boys and 8 girls so far from 4 does. All the babies have done well and so have the moms. So far a pretty good year for them.

Alicia did your doe have her babies yet? Did you make a decision on the other cows. Hope you found something that will work for you.

We are suppose to have thunderstorms the next few days. I hope they are not severe like last year. You all take care and hope everyone had a good weekend.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 08 2013 07:55:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  08:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Kristin whats the kind of milking machine you are getting? Do they have a website and does it come with plain electric instead of the battery setup. I have a milking machine thats pretty old and was wondering how this one looked. Anyway sounds exciting and glad you are going to get your first bees.

We have 4 hives and I talked my son into trying a few topbar bee hives this year. If we get a swarm we are going to put it in one of those. Its a totally different setup from the traditional hives. I think it will be kinda fun to see how they work. He bought the first one and has built 3 from looking at the first one.Its worth checking into. They sure are cute hives....they look like houses on stilts.We ordered ours from Walter T Kelly in Ky. Thats where we get all our bee supplies. They have good prices and have excellent customer service.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard from Redhoopwoman (Kathryn) or Amomfly(Angie) anymore. They use to chat on this thread quite often. I miss hearing from them. I looked back through the pages and they posted quite a bit. Just was wondering.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  7:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Londa, so sorry you've been sick. I bet you'll be glad to see warmer weather. Are you better now? How's all the goats and kids? That's a lot of kids for just 4 does. I'm still waiting on Sandy to kid. I already have them sold. I sold my Boer buck last night and the buck that Trudy had in Feb. Made exactly enough to get the milking machine! I like that!

No I have not seen them around lately. I hope they are both ok and just busy. Sometimes people just can't get on here for a long time and life gets busy. I hope they come back.

I hope to be getting my hive sometime this week. I'll talk to the bee guy Wed. again at the market to see when we should come get them. We have to get them at night. And he's about 75 miles from here. Gonna be a long night. I can hardly wait to get them. I have my spot all picked out for their yard. It's perfect. I've seen the top bar hives. A guy is selling them on CL for not too much. But I want to see how this hive works before I get into anything else. We have a store in Lafayette that is just bee stuff. Everything a person would need. Pigeon Mt. Trading Co. It's great. I got my suit, hive tool and smoker for just $85. I don't think I'll get gloves. I hate gloves. So I'll see.

Ok. The milking machine. I spent about an hour with the guy today. He showed me all about it. He made a special one just for Zarah. Plus the regular one for other goats. I even got to put it on one of his goats. I got it home and hooked it up. Tried it on Zarah tonight but nothing came out. She has the kids nursing but I still got a few squirts by hand. But nothing in the tube. I don't know if I have the pump calibrated right. I did stay on her, despite the fact she was hopping around. I put the kids up tonight and will try in the morning when she's full. Then I'll let ya know.

I did milk Penelope with the other machine. It took a while to get her going. And then just a little stream. And she has pretty big orifices too. I can milk her out in just a few minutes. It took some time to get her milked. And then, after I took the tubes off, she still had about a cup of milk I had to hand milk out. Not happy about that. I need to get the suction adjusted. That will help. I like that it's in a bigger bucket with ice so the milk gets cold really fast. I'll post pictures later. I am anxious to see how Z does in the morning.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Londa, go to Nashville CL and go to the search and type in milk goats or machines. You can see pics there too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  04:36:04 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with milking machine Kris. the girls are not used to it, so it may take a few milkings. Bees are amazing. I have one hive, and may try splitting it this year. My girls were out and about last week. There was alot of them too, so that is good. Will see how they are doing, if we get a nice day again. Linda four hives is alot! The honey sure is good. We have hit rainy season, and mud season. The snow is going, but still here. Heck they are calling for 8-10 inches coming. I hope they are wrong. I got 3 beefers left to calve. Have not had a good year either. 2 breech, and big calves. Same bull last year threw all small calves so not sure what has happened. Lost 2 calves, and hope that is all. Have cooked sap once. we cooked 90 gallons of sap and got 3 3/4 gallons of syrup. The weather has been so up and down here though.
take care Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile
I am so upset right now. I have cried. Last night, I hooked up the bigger machine on Penelope and it worked like a charm. She never even flinched. It took a little longer than it takes me to milk by hand. I timed myslef this morning and it takes 2 1/2 minutes to milk P all the way by hand. AND after I thiught she was done, when the milk stopped flowing, I still had to milk her out. Got over a cup of milk.

So this morning, after Zarah's kids were in a stall all night, she was full. I hooked her smaller machine up but there was NO suction at all. I turned the screw on the pump every which way. Nothing. So I had to stop and just milk her by hand. I was exhausted but got about a quart. Let the kids have the rest.

Then hooked up the bigger machine for P and no suction AT ALL. Nothing. I was SO upset by then. I am not one to be able to figure stuff like this out. He showed me how to adjust the pump. But I tried every way it would go. There is just nothing. I don't know what happened sicne last night. And it's not noisy at all. They didn't lind when I turned it on. Kind of like the electric clippers I use on them. So I don't know if the pump is just not big enough. I thought about trying it on my air compressor.

So not really sure yet about this. I feel like I just wasted $200 and a whole day of driving. Just wish the hubby were here at times like this. He can fix anything.

Michele, so sorry about the calves. I hope the rest have good deliveries and healthy calves. This winter has been crazy. And it seems to want to hang on in some places too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  09:23:17 AM  Show Profile
Here is a few pictures of Ferns new baby girls. They weighed in at 8 1/2 and 9 lbs. They will be 2 days old tonight. We are at 74 degrees and I took them out with mama to enjoy the sunshine and warm weather.I was trying to get good pictures of them but they kept wanting to lay down and sleep. The brown one did just that. So I picked the other one up and snapped a picture and then she layed down.
After about 2 hours Fern wanted to go back into her stall with her babies. She was nervous about them being outside. After 5 days or so she will be yelling to be outside.Thought I would share a few pictures.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  1:58:24 PM  Show Profile
OH Linda!!! I want some babies SOOO Bad! They are cute & PS, when I first saw the pic of Michael holding the does I thought it was YOU! (until I saw the chin hair growth, & no red ponytail.. , guess I need to change the readers to a higher strength HAHA) You guys have the same mouth!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I want to come up there now and hold those cute little kids. I love them. I want some too. Are you selling them? And you got way too many does to keep them all. They're all just too cute. Looks like you have lots of green grass now. And blue skies too. I hope you're feeling better now.

The pollen here is covering everything. It's horrible. I am sick. Nothing is working for me. It really is making me sick. I feel awful and just want to go to bed and stay there forever. But there's just too much to do.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Kristin I will have many for sale once they are 12 weeks old. I have way to many girls to keep them all. My barn is bursting at the seams.
I am feeling better but still not myself yet... took my last antibiotic last night so glad I am done with them.
We have been dry here for about a week or more before that it was muddy all the time. We are suppose to be getting possible severe storms maybe tonight but more likely tomorrow. The wind has been gusting literally everyday. I try to do somethings outside but it gives me a headache with the wind blowing so hard in my ears.I hung jeans on the line and they kept blowing into the goat pasture. I finally brought them in they were dry enough to get by. I was tired of putting them up over and over again.
The cedar pollen is making my face itch like crazy and the wind is blowing it everywhere. I keep taking the allergy meds and washing my face often to get the pollen off.Right now I can hear the wind roaring through the trees. Its kinda crazy outside.

The pasture has started to grow and the goats are really enjoying eating the new grass. We are 85 degrees here today and I am way to hot. Once it gets over 80 I don't handle it to well. I like it between 50 and 80 but I know it has to be warm to grow gardens. I just hate the heat. Even the goats have been panting the past few days. They sure have been drinking the water....almost double what they usually do.

Lisa come on down.....how many babies do you want....lol.? I still have one more doe to go. She is suppose to be due the 18th of this month. Heidi is so big it makes me nervous and this is her first kidding. She looks like a heifer cow.

Kristin did you get the milking machine figured out? Sounds like the vacuum was leaking somewhere or you needed to adjust it. I would call the guy who sold it to you and see if he could trouble shoot it over the phone for you.

Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 10 2013 1:18:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  04:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Kris don't give up. Like Linda said call the guy, and he will help figure it out. You can pull down with a little pressure on the teat cups, to finish off the milking. Technically you are not supposed to, but I do. Massage the quarter too a bit. Oopps you got goats so you only got 2 halves! :) Once you and the girls get used to the milker, it should be faster for you. Linda your babies are soo very cute and tiny. Hope they do well for you. Well they are now calling for 8-12 inches of snow. Gosh I hope not, but not much we can do. Nothing yet this morning. I hope for snow rather then ice. And it is windy!
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  06:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all! Happy Monday. It's supposed to be warm here with scattered showers through the week. Everything's blooming and getting leaves. It's beautiful. If you want to see, check out my blog. I have lots of spring pictures on there, for all you people up North right now.

I really hate that milking machine. I found the ball bearing, in Penelope's feed trough. Just looked down and there it was. I had bought a few more but they were too small. My husband was here, so we fooled around with it. Got P milked, but there's no way the one he made for Zarah is going to work on her. And she's the reason I got this machine. It will not stick on her udder for anything. I had thought about putting the kids up and then in the morning let them nurse her for a minute, then get her on the stand while she's not so big and full. If that doesn't work, I'm done with it. The only thing I really like about it is the bucket that I put water in then out the stainless steel bucket in and put the lid on and put it in the freezer. It gets the milk SO cold SO fast. I might just use that to milk in. I really don't think that pump is big enough.

Anyway, on to some goats. Sandy had some goo this morning. So she's not too far off from kidding. I have John Henry in there with the girls right now to let the back yard grow some. I need to put him back in there. I sold Arlo last week so he'll be alone. Abraham the ram is back with the sheep again. Ill leave him with them til the end of May when I hope I'll have some more lambs from the 4 younger ewes. He was with them the end of Dec. If they didn't get bred then, they will be now.

I hope everyone's ok. And staying warm. I bet Michele has some snow up in Wisconsin right now.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  07:55:06 AM  Show Profile
No kids yet. I talked with the friend that gave her to me, and she was bred to his Boer buck around the end of December. So a little bit longer to wait. But her udder sure is filling out more! I've been giving her some grain, letting her graze the bottom pasture and the yard a little bit.

I AM going to get the Guernseys. I'll pick them up the end of the month. Now I've just got to stock up on hay!!

Kris,Sorry to hear the milking machine isn't going so well. Maybe he'll take a look at it and fix it/adjust it since you JUST got it??

Linda, Those babies are adorable!!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  8:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Linda I love your kid goats,such beautiful babes,I sure wish I was expecting some kids this year but I'm going to have to wait awhile yet before I can replace my goat herd.
I am still here though,I've been lurking around and checking out everyone's goat herd going-ons but since I only have our pet dwarf goat Wilson I have very little to contribute to all you busy goat gals but since you asked me about me in an earlier thread I thought I would check in with you all.
I don't know if everyone knows but on October 21st our house burned down,it was about four in the morning I woke up to use the bathroom (I was very late pregnant with our son) and saw the window by my sewing machine growing bright orange,to my horror I discovered our back deck was in flames,I called for my Husband and grabbed Raven (my twelve year old Daughter) out of her bed and just then the propane tank on the deck vented straight up in the air with a huge flame torch over the roof and within minutes our home was engulfed in flames.
All three of us got out but unfortunately my cats died in the fire and we lost everything.
I was thirty eight weeks pregnant at the time of the fire and gave birth to our son Jonathan Wayne on November 9th and since then we've just been working on cleaning up the ruins from the fire and putting money back to purchase another modular home for the place as we did not yet have insurance on our place since we were in the middle of a county clean-up of the property (my Dad used part of the property for tire storage and when he died it left us with a hell of a mess) and no one would insure us until it was completed.
The fire is being investigated as an arson along with one other that occurred an hour before our fire and just down the road from us,both were started the same way,out on the back deck.
Anyways,sorry this is long,I just meant to explain what happened.
the only livestock we have now is our two horses and our goat Wilson,I gave away all my chickens and sold all my rabbits because it was harder to keep them safe from coyotes without living on the place.
It's been a terrible loss but we're doing alright,we're renting a place in nearby Peyton until we can get rebuilt.
Anyways,I do really enjoy getting on here still and seeing all your new goats and hearing about the trials and joys on your farms,hopefully someday soon I'll be able to contribute again when we get rebuilt and I get a few dairy goats again.
Thanks for thinking of me Linda,I am always here even if I'm rather quiet nowadays!

P.S You ladies please get out there and get your gas grill far away from your house and keep it away when you're not using it,we were lucky that the propane tank didn't explode but instead vented but it really put us in alot more danger and greatly contributed to the speed in which our house burnt down so please,be safe and go do it for me!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  8:36:19 PM  Show Profile
Kathryne so good to hear from you!!! I have missed hearing how you are doing. I am so sorry you have had to endure such hardship and loss. I am so glad you all made it out safely. I hope your are able to rebuild soon.
Congrats on the new baby...was it a girl or boy. I am so thankful you are all okay.
Please don't be a stranger it doesn't matter that you just have one goat Wilson or not. You keep in touch and I sure want to hear from you when you have a chance. Keep us updated on your progress.It made me smile to see your post. and also sad to hear what had happened. I was heading off to bed and decided to check in and there was your post. Don't be a stranger I love to hear from you no mater what. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 15 2013 8:39:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  04:37:45 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I'm so glad you all 3 got out of the house alive. That's horrible that people will do something like that. So sad. But I know you will be back out there again and starting over soon. You sound very determined to do it. There is a pretty way to use old tires. Paint them all different colors and stack them all wonky together and put potting soil in them and plant a garden! It's beautiful. I have my eye on a pile of tires up the road and want to stop and get them all. I have got to do this. Maybe you could make up a pretty flower garden and advertise and people will buy the tires.

I use my grill when I butcher my meat birds. It's over in the yard beside my little barn-house next door. Not much propane in it right now. But I never even thought about that.

I got 2 New Zealand White doe bunnies yesterday for my garden fertilizers. Already had to move the chicken, turned rabbit, tractor this morning. They are little pigs already. 5 weeks old. They were the quietest animals I have had in my car yet.

Goats are so noisy! Well, Penelope is so noisy. She hollers ALL day. Unless she's just been fed and milked. Then there she goes again. Good grief! She's just half Nubian. I can't imagine if she was full Nubian. Sandy's not even making noise anymore because of her.

It's been warm here. The bees were really buzzin' around yesterday.

The farm tour is this afternoon at 4:00. Here first for an hour, then up the road to my friend's farm. So y'all please think about me then. I pretty much know all the other farmers coming. But when I am in front of people , I get nervous. I know I can do this though.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  04:56:56 AM  Show Profile
sorry to hear about your fire Kathryn. Glad you were all safe.
WE didn't get all that snow they were calling for. Maybe 3 inches and a bunch of rain/sleet. We do have the ground snow covered yet. Got to look at your spring time pics Kris! Now they are calling for rain the rest of the week. Yesterday we did some thawing and everything is a sloppy wet mess. Cooked sap yesterday, and installed a package of bees. I was on a waiting list and got the call. I hope they make it, as it is still cold here. Farmers almanac calls for a wet spring, dry summer and wet fall. Alicia good luck with the new cows. Linda hope your babies are all doing well. Still waiting on the last 3 babies here.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  05:31:23 AM  Show Profile
My sister is in Col. and they are expecting a blizzard tomorrow with high winds. Ugh. It's so hot here already. I think we'll just skip spring and go straight to summer again. 82 here today but maybe some rain too.

I hope your bees do make it. I heard there were a lot of hives that didn't make it up around you because of the crazy winter there. Mine so far are doing great. My apple trees sound like NYC. So noisy! But I am loving it.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  2:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Well today my last doe was due to kid.......still waiting on Heidi she is as big as a barn and this will be her first time. I am nervous for her.
I called the hand suregon today because my hand is still killing me and swollen after 8 weeks. I knew something has not been right. They think I have RSD of the wrist which is not good. I am going in to see him next friday and have it checked out. They said I should have healed by now and should not be this swollen and have so much pain. If this is permament I guess I will be selling my herd except for the oldsters cause I won't be able to milk. Right now the babies are doing it but I sure wanted to do it myself later. I am so bummed but I guess things could be so much worse so I will stop my whining.Just watching the news sure puts life in perspective.

We are sunny right now. Yesterday we had strong scary storms and they went on and off all night. My poor dog Toby was freaking out totally and kept me up. It rained to hard and so much it washed all my garden seeds i planted down the hill. That was over $30 dollars in organic seeds. I should have waited the farmers almanac said not to plant and I did. I thought I would get my cold crops out and then they would get rained on. Didn't expect a monsoon.

Wow Michele snow.....thats kinda crazy but your are up north. My hubby is from Wisconsin and his parents still have a cottage there and its really nice. Good luck with your bees. Hope they do well.

Glad your bees are so busy Kristin. Its cool to listen to a flowering tree when its alive with worker bees. My son can watch them for hours.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  05:12:02 AM  Show Profile
Wet cold and more snow coming. According to the forecasters. I don't have high hopes for the new hive. I love to watch and hear the bees in the apple trees. Had a calve born last night. Our first and hopefully last c-section. We did get a live calf, and they are both doing okay this morning. Momma won't hardly look at the calf yet. But he is persistent, and hopefully she comes around. She is a first timer. Nothing but calving troubles this year. Got two to go. I hope they are small and normal position delivery's.
Linda I hope the doctor is wrong about your wrist. I hope they can do something. Kris glad you had a good time on your farm tour. It sounds like it would be great fun.
Time to go get some milk sitting for colby cheese. Rather go to bed, after yesterdays fun.
michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page