Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  04:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Well got a little sleep but not much. Bella who is a first timer kidded this morning starting at 5:30. She had 2 pretty does they are brown with a little leg markings and one has frosted ears and muzzle.
The mama is black with frosted ears. They have nursed and that took forever cause mama is a bit timid about her udder. But she seems to like her new babies which is good.Waiting for her to finish cleaning. She did eat her goodies and grain with gusto which is always a good thing. I did not have to help with this doe. Actually she already had one on the ground when my husband heard it threw the monitor and woke me up.I had actually fallen to sleep at that point and was dreaming that she was kidding......I'm serious no kidding.We had taken turns checking on her threw the night.I woke up and hit the ground running or should I say stumbling.
We were a bit tired from Sunday with Snacks baby's and her fiascos. She is good now and much calmer thank goodness.She was just so tanked up.

Well back out to the barn to finish morning chores now that I can see a wee bit of light. I hope to take a long shower and eat some breakfast later. Who knows maybe they will let me have a cat nap today.......just maybe.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  06:58:50 AM  Show Profile
hi linda, congrats on all the new babies. it is so exciting when they are born. good for you and mama you could get those boys out. a 10 pounder seems way to big. then to have 2 more kids in there. she must have been miserable with them in there. are you done with kidding now? KRIS wondering how all your goats are doind? we are butchering rabbits and turkeys today. more good food in the works hope you get some rest linda. when i had my carpal fixed i got tired of the healing time too. hang in there sending hugs. happy to know your back is better. happy days to you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Our new baby calf...grandson's are so excited....also we got some chickens as well.

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Deb-
So CUTE :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile
oh that is so cute. happpy days at your farm.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile
Good luck with all the new babies! I checked cows tonight. Big changes, so will try to scrap snow out of the barn yard, and get 3 cows in tomorrow. One thing it is light out longer now, so can check them easier. But being darker in the morning again is no fun.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  7:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Awww, all the babies are adorable! Congrats to all the new mommas!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  07:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Debra, the calves are cute. And the boys look so happy. I bet they're great helpers. My grand daughter likes to help with all the goats and lambs. I'm going to look for a calf, either a bottle calf or just weaned. We're almost out of beef. And I am thinking about getting a couple pigs to compost out the goat barn. It's about 4' deep in some places, especially where the goats have been staying. So much wasted hay in there. Pigs will love it.

So LInda, I hope all your kids are well and the mothers are behaving today. I see the sun coming out here now. And I hope your back and hand are better today too. You need to be careful. I know, I get hurt all the time here. Seems like I cannot get near a fence wothout getting cut and bleeding like crazy. Right now, my right index finger is cut and my right thumb is cracked around the nail. Nothing like what you're going through, but it hurts when milking. I need to buy stock in Bandaid.

Hope all is well with all my goat and sheep farm girl friends. I have been busy getting the milk room all cleaned out and there is so much to do. I would love to be in the garden, but rained ALL day yesterday. I'm thinking maybe by May? Kind of depressing. I go tomorrow to get an application for the Main St. Market in Chatt. It's on Wed. Then I'll do the Brainerd Market on Sat. Plus CSA's through the week. So I need to get going here.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of Snackcake with her triplets they are almost 2 days old. The second picture is Pumpkins triplet girls they are almost 2 weeks old. I had them outside for a little while today and they kept running from the camera......they acted like it was going to get them. I didn't get very good pictures of them but this one was the best.

I have 8 babies out of 3 moms. My next 2 and last does are due in April.
I am praying to see the sun again...I am sick of the mud and gloom.I was able to fork the stalls out while they went out this morning with the help of my son. They didn't stay out long because it started to spit snow again. Yuck Take care and I am gonna try to take a cat nap today since sleeping at night doesn't seem to be working.

Linda

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 12 2013 10:54:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  12:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
I love the color of the calf. Do you call that color chocolate, like a chocolate Lab?
The triplets are adorable too. Sometimes I go about 2 miles to a farm that lets people come up to the fence and touch the animals. I watch the baby goats. They are so cute.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  4:33:01 PM  Show Profile
yes they are chocolate.

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  7:35:11 PM  Show Profile
It's awfully quiet around here. Just checking in. I've been in the garden most of the day today. And the past few days. It finally dried out enough to plow and plant!! So I got a lot of things planted today. I'll plant 25 pounds of potatoes and 2 bunches and a few pounds of onions tomorrow. Then plant 50 pounds of grass seed before it rains on Monday.

Also need to take my 2 goat kids to get them disbudded tomorrow evening. Hope it's not too late for the buck. His are getting pretty big. I also started the kids on Dimethox, a coccidiosis prevention med I got from Hoegger. I give them 1 1/2 cc 2x a day for a week, then once a week til weaned. Also gave them CDT shots last week.

Sandy still has about a month to go before she kids. That darn goat. Then Zeeboo, the Tazmanian Devil goat. I think she's pregnant. If she is, she's just 3 months. I need more milk!

How are all the new kids and lambs doing? Mine are getting so big already. Linda, did your doe finally take all her kids? And how is your hand and back? I probably won't be able to move tomorrow. I am already sore from all the lifting and bending. Gardening is hard work, y'all. But it's the best excercise. But I am worn out!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  07:55:37 AM  Show Profile
you are right kris it has been quiet here. we have been helping our friends with a donkey she has an abcess on her foot. any one have a recipe for a drwing salve. we have been soaking her hoof in epsom salts. not sure where it is going to come out. poor donkey is in soooo much pain. we are down to our core of stock. kind of sad to me. i never planned for all the animals to go. my health has made it happen. we have 3 cows and 2 calves now. we also butchered brutus. he was a huge boar hog he hung at 559 pounds. wow i will miss him too. i bought a preg-tone for testing pig pregnancy. it works great. they sell for $500.00. i found this one for $100.00 i had to buy a charger for it. this will save time and guess work. we have 11 newly hatched laying hens. hoping more to come. i found someone to hatch out fryers for me. then i will grow them. they will trade chicks for beef i butchered a tom turkey this week. actually 2 of them. one i cut up and froze. the other i canned the breast meat in stock. yum. we also tried rabbit last night. it was sweet and mild and sooo good. does any one here butcher rabbits? wondering how you do it? well time for chores. linda i hope your body is feeling better today. kris here we go again another summer with pigs.LOL the calves are so cute. happy days to you all. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone.
Well the mom started to butt the one kid to where I feared for its life. I was plugging it in every 2 hours for 5 days. I could not take it anymore and I am exausted from no sleep. I tried everything to get her to except that baby...nothing worked. My friend came over to take her since she bottles her babies from birth. I have none here that I could put her with. So she seems to be doing fine. I cried when she left.......I felt so bad cause she wanted her mama and her mama didn't want her. Bella likes her other baby and is a very good mother to it.When I took the other baby out she changed and completely calmed down. She acted like the other baby was an alien. So I guess she at least likes and is caring for one of them.

I dehorned Pumpkins 3 girls today and glad thats done.I have some sourdough cinnamon raisin bread rising and a new recipe for pulled chicken in the crockpot. My hand is still hurting and seems to be going so slow in the healing process. I am getting by the best I can.There are just some things that are going to have to wait around here.

We have about 5 inches of snow on the ground and its still snowing like crazy and to think Kris is planting a garden.No gardening here just snow shoveling.I hope your garden does well for you this year.My chickens are not liking the snow and are either in their house or under it. But they are giving me quite a few eggs again even with this wacky weather. I had froze some from last year to get me through the winter when they quit laying. It was nice because I used them for baking and kept me from buying the store bought eggs. I will do that again for sure this fall.

Sherry sorry you had to cut back but in the long run its whats best for you right now and your health. You still have a pretty full plate considering. The prego checker sounds really neat and what a great price! I have never butchered rabbits before and don't think I could but I have had rabbit to eat and its excellent.

Well everyone take care and remember its Sunday.....rest a little.

Linda

The picture on the left is the chicken house.

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 17 2013 10:36:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  5:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda, that's crazy all that snow up there. Wow. It will be awhile for you to get a garden in. That's what's I've been doing the past 2 days now.I am so out of shape it's pathetic. I am SO sore, all over. Today I had a little help planting onions and potatoes. A few of the grands and my daughter helped. But sometimes it makes it longer when I have to explain and then go back over it again. But they are learning and I am glad of that. Kansas says she wants to be a farmer when she's 20.

I have yet to learn to disbud, so I have to take all my kids to a friend and let her do it for me. I do pay her, but it's well worth it. But, it's really been hard to catch her this time and the buck's horns were a bit bigger. So I am glad that's over. Poor babies. I brought Zarah along to keep them calm. And now my car really stinks. Yesterday, 2 stinky puking, pooping, peeing pigs and today 3 goats doing the same except no puking. So my car needs an inside bath. But really, why bother?

It seems like the past few weeks have been so busy. I am always in a hurry to get somewhere or do something. Like the garden. Hurry up and get it planted before the big rain comes tomorrow. I am not liking all the things I have to do or get done altely. I'd like to be able to slow down and enjoy things more. But there's just not enough time in a day.

I hope y'all had a great weekend. And have an even better week!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  09:26:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello. It's quiet here again. Lots of chicken talk going on though. It's snowing stright down out there. It's crazy, that's all I can say.

It's been quiet here too. Not much going on. I took Ira Joe and Ella Belle to get them disbudded last Sunday. Sandy isn't due til the end of April, it looks like. Her udder is still droopy. like a little old lady. And I don't think Zeeboo is bred at all, darn goat. I'm trying to sell those bucks. They are so aggravating. And I'll put Abraham back in with the ewes in April. He misses them so much. And he's jumping on the boys. He needs something to do.

I am completely out of hay! Hubby is on vacation this week so we'll go sometime this week for more. I so don't like hay. At all. I hate everything about hay really. It's my very least favorite thing to do on a farm. It's so messy and I am allergic to it. I just don't like it. But it's a very needed item right now, since there's not much growing right now. And doesn't look like anything will be any time soon.

Hope every one is fine. And all the goats and sheep and cows are happy.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  10:07:34 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya about the hay Kris! While I'm not allergic, and generally I like hay, it is soooo frustrating! If only I lived on the river and had SOME sort of grazing I could cut back a bit on hay. Or I wouldn't mine having a pivot of my own!

Loving all the pics of the babies. Congrats everyone!

I've been in a bit of a funk I guess.
I need a whole herd of Sunny Belle's. She's the only cow I've got left in milk. 11 months into this lactation and she's holding steady at 2.5-3 gallons a day (I only milk once a day).

April (Sunny's heifer calf) will be ready to breed in July or August. And then a 9+ month wait for her to calve.
I've been working with her a few times a week. A little bit of grain and hay in the milking parlor while I brush her, handle her feet, touch her udder/teats, turn on the vacum pump for the noise factor and do my clean up from the big girls.

Cinnamon is going to the butcher. I can't get this infection to stay gone. Just when I think "oh, good, she's getting better" I come out to the pasture and she's got giant globs of yuck again. She had trips to the vet, antibiotics, natural remedies, uterine flushes and more than 5 months of waiting and watching (I've been told that often pyrometris "just goes away"). She's past all the meat withdrawl times for the meds she last had so...it's time.
She's a sweetie, but her milk is down to .75 to .5 a gallon a day (which I've been pumping and dumping for seems like ever anyhow). She's eating more of that expensive and frustrating hay, and grain. If I can't get milk and a calf from her.....I can't afford another pasture ornament.

I'm looking at some Guernsey girls. Maybe a change in breed will help refresh me and my attitude. Hubby thinks that part of this whole drama has been the "fragile-ness" of Jerseys.
We'll see if this all works out..usually the cows I'm pretty interested in sell before I can get up to see them! That tends to be the Utah area and at least 4 hours one way to even LOOK at them. And there is no way I will ever buy another cow without looking at them first.

At least it's been a rather warm week. Supposed to rain perhaps some sleet by Easter weekend (my youngest turns 8 on Friday too), but we need the water.

Happy Easter ladies!!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Got 5 calves born now. 3 boys, 1 girl. Lost the first one, a heifer at birth. Crazy had 2 breech births so far. All the years we have not had any problems, and boom this year we are hit. Got 4 heifers gonna calve soon, and sure hope things go well with them. Gosh one heifer is just huge, like a big ole tick. That one has me worried. Banded the boys last night, and put them out with the others. Then got those heifers in the barn yard. easier to check on in there. Finally got a nice day today. Got sap buckets put out this afternoon. The snow is starting to melt a bit. I looked at the hive, and I could tell the bee girls had been out and about for a short while, in the sunshine. Though none were out this afternoon.
Alicia, you mentioned looking at Guernseys, cause Jerseys are fragile. Guernseys are a close second, in my opinion, ha. We had a mixed dairy herd, with a bunch of Guernseys when my dad first bought the farm. Good luck. My favorite are Ayrshire's. Kris have you done any reading about growing fodder? Would save on the hay buying. Have a Happy Easter.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  6:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I don't even know what fodder is. I know. Is it kind of like silage? I have heard of people growing root crops for cows. I don't have a whole lot of room to grow animal feed. I am going to plant lots of field peas for the sheep though. And there's a place in Tn. that grows certified organic grains. I'm going to call and see about getting open pollinated corn and grow some for the sheep and goats. Since we loaded and unloaded that hay, I have been miserable. Had to take Alegra. And my eyes are still watery and horrible. It think it's the dryness of this particular hay. Are you making lots of syrup? I've been reading lots of blogs and it seems to be a pretty good year so far in a lot of places. If we could make it here, I think it would be a good year here. The weather is just about right for it.

Alicia, sorry to hear about Cinnamon. Sometimes we have to make those hard descisions and it's not easy. I hope you can find another good cow soon. There are Jersey cows for sale here all the time.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  7:35:47 PM  Show Profile
howdy girls, i am soooo tired. i had the grandkids today. what a work out. LOL kistens blood sugar was perfect for the day. i love her new pump. it takes the question out of dosing her. so sadly tomorrow manly my duroc goes to butcher. he hurt his leg 4 months ago. we let him heal. he tried to breed minnie pearl and hurt it again. so i give up. poor boy. so i was cleaning the mini pigs barn and i had my big gates to the road open. running the tractor in and out with poop then i see a roto rooter truck stop on the highway. well my new gilt was on the road running around. i coaxed her back in. whew i was out of breath. so glad it was simple. alicia i have a jersey still milking too. i need another. my other cows are dry. i plan on breeding in june. michele i am breeding for hardiness too. i cross white parks with jerseys. i have one now born here she will be bred in june also. alicia have you ever looked into dexters and white parks? so kris how many goats are you milking now? i love your pics. have you been using the soaked grain? wondering how it is working for you. well i am going to take a hot bath and sleep. i do have to say the mini pigs are pretty cute. i am hoping one is pregnant. well happy days to all you farmgirls. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  04:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Kris there was alot of talk about growing fodder on family cow forum. My friend does it too. You basicly start seed, not sure what type. You grow it till a certain height, and then feed the whole thing to the animals. I have seen systems in magazines, and my friend made her own system to grow it. I think she may of used barley seed. http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/growing-sprouted-fodder/72618 try this site, or google it and you will find lots. And it does not take alot of space.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  11:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I've heard that Guernseys can be pretty "fragile" too. Personally, I think it's just the nature of the dairy cow vs. beef cow to be more "fragile" all the way around. I grew up not liking cows (these were onery range cows that just wanted my hay and would go through darn near anything to get it) and I go and fall in love with the fragile ones! hahaha

Kris, I was originally looking into getting some dexters. But once again, they were in Utah and a drive to look at. It worked out to see them on the way home from trip to Salt Lake. Those breeders were total flakes! They would sell us a heifer (for me to raise and train as a milker) IF they got one that they didn't want to keep in their breeding program. Calving time came around and I left a few messages inquiring as to if they had one to sell or not. I never got a call either way..Yes we have one available, or NO we don't. Just left me hanging. That was 2 years ago.

Now a friend has gotten himself a little herd started in our area. Just two cows and a steer at the moment, but he may get a bull as well. We've already discussed cross breeding if he does get this bull.

Sunny was bred to an Angus bull, so that should be a hardy cross. I've heard a lot of good things about the Jersey/Angus cross. If she throws another heifer calf I will definitely be raising it as a future family cow. April I may breed to an Angus as well.

OR...I get this trio I'm looking at (2 Guernsey cows due to calve in early April and early May, and an almost 3 year old bull) and I raise registered Guernseys. Perhaps I will have the Registered herd, and my Jersey/Angus herd. We'll see what happens.

There has been lots of talk on another forum about the fodder and fodder growing systems. Hubby just put some grow lights in the green house/sun room for me. I may try a little bit in there. Barley is what I have heard used most, because it sprouts well under the growing conditions.

I'm looking into trying some Teff seed in our pasture. It does well with low water/high heat conditions, and that is our biggest issue.

And now I have a dairy goat doe added to my "zoo". A friend was given her, but he is going with the meat goats and doesn't want to have to deal with milking her. So he offered her to me. I brought her home as a pen-mate for April, who won't stop nursing! (The weaning rings-2 styles-were making sores in her nose and making her very head shy, so I just removed her from the main pen).
I know very little about goats (I did have 2 meat crosses as pets for a while a few years back). I have local friends that have raised goats for years who will help me with whatever questions I have.

This girl was milked at her first home, they had a stanchion set up, is friendly and will lead with her collar. Is supposed to be bred. Hasn't been milked since before October (when my friend got her), but seems to be bagging up? Her teats look quite full. It's been a LONG time since I've milked a goat (14 years or so!) so I don't remember lots of the little specifics on a milking goats' udder.
My issue is she seems quite thin. Even for a dairy animal. You can feel her spine and hip bones very sharply. Her coat is very coarse and unthrifty. She's getting alfalfa and grass hay (I feed extra so April can't just push off the pile) and was getting alfalfa at the home she just came from. Should I add grain to her diet? Should I be worried about the "all-stock" free choice mineral that is in the pen for April?

There may be some feta cheese in my future!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  12:47:48 PM  Show Profile
Here are 3 links to some info on growing fodder. I am looking into it some myself. At least for the chickens. But it can be done to feed all livestock I'm told. It may be a bit labor intensive though, I don't know. I think it needs a drip irrigation system with a timer to really be effective. I certainly dont have time to go water it 3 times a day every day. There is a lot of info out there on it to google.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5aVWciSYYE
http://www.farm-dreams.com/forum/topics/growing-your-own-fodder?commentId=6379289%3AComment%3A57919&xg_source=activity
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  1:32:53 PM  Show Profile
Ok, now I know. I did see a set up on CL not too long ago. It was a 6 shelf growing station with trays and lights. Seems like it was around $300. Pretty neat set up too. But now I'm thinking we could just make something like it. Thanks for all those links too.

Alicia, has the goat been eating grain? I wish I didn't have to feed my goats grain. But to get more milk, they need grain it seems. Or else really good pasture. And good quality hay. But if she is bred and due soon, you could give her a high protein grain mix gradually. Then slowly give a little bit more til she's at a good amount to start seeing a difference in her appearance. If she's not in good shape and due soon, she may also need good minerals and maybe Red Cell too. And kelp is great. But sounds like she needs to just have some good quality feed and hay right now to get her in good shape and for the kids growing in there. You don't want a fat goat because she'll have a hard time kidding. The kids will be bigger then. Just don't over feed her right now. Her body isn't used to it and her rumin could get all out of whack then. I hope Linda sees this. She would know a lot more and could help you. Good luck with her! That all-stock mineral should be fine for her. I bought a goat mineral block at the co-op that my goats fight over. They love it.

Right now, so far, the goats really like the fermented grain. They seem to like it at just a few days in though. When it's a little older, they have been turning their noses up at it. I am still mixing it with the dry mix I still have left. I did notice a difference in Penelope's milk going up some, then we had a little mishap with her foot and the bucket full of milk. It shook her up for a few days. But I am still getting nearly a gallon a day from just Penelope. I'm going to put Zarah's 2 kids in a stall this Sunday night and start milking her in the mornings. I had given her the Dectomax wormer and it's a 32 day milk withdrawal. I don't think I'll use this on the milking does ever again. But so far, they all seem to be doing good on this.

Sherrye, I hope you get some rest! You wear me out. We'll have all 3 grand kids this weekend. Yippee!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  3:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Alicia what kind of dairy goat is she?
If she is that thin I would start her out with a cup of grain or sweet feed a day for about a week. Then add another 1/2 cup the 2nd week as long as her goat berries look okay.I would try to have her on 2 cups a day by the time she kids. She needs the protein and to also help avoid ketosis. The mineral won't hurt her she needs them. If her coat is scruffy she probably has worms. I would worm her with safeguard 3 days in a row. If you know when she is going to kid I could suggest a different wormer but you need to be sure on that. If not I would go with the safeguard cattle paste. The day she kids you can give her ivomec injectable and drench her with it by mouth at the rate of 1 cc for every 75lbs.

I am not an expert or a vet these are just suggestions that I think would helpful. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

I love jerseys and gurnseys. I have never had dairy cows but have tasted their milk and its wonderful. I think they are such beautiful cows. I have also seen the white parks that Sherry has they are really pretty cows. That might be a good cross for you. Good luck with your dairy cows.

Sherry your mini pigs sound so cute. Hope you get some rest and not work so hard.

Kris sounds like a good deal on those chicken tractors. Thats so cool you were able to get a couple. I bet you are excited.

Well outside to start feeding and then dinner. Its soup beans and cornbread.I have been really sick for the past 9 days with a horrible virus and still fighting it. Food has not tasted to good. I hope tonight I can taste a little better cause I just love cornbread!!!You all take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 28 2013 3:36:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page