Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  07:55:27 AM  Show Profile
These are not the best pictures but they would not cooperate and no one was here to help distract them. Hope this works.
Linda

The the only reason I got a side picture of this little doe is I caught her going to the potty. She is the smallest of the 3. I call her halfpint for the moment.

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 01 2013 07:57:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  08:35:02 AM  Show Profile
Awww.. They are all the same color!! :)

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  10:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful little doe and what good luck to have all three does in one kidding,especially a first timer,seems like every year I always got twin bucklings from my Nubian does,it was so dissapointing and vexing,congrats on the new babies!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  10:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Linda,
They are adorable!!!
Terri
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  11:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Linda,
How about "Oreo" and "Star" for the other two?
Terri
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  6:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Pretty goats Linda.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  7:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Terri those are cute names I will have to consider them. I am bottling the 3 babies 3 times a day cause I don't think mama has enough to cover them and they are keeping her nursed out.Its hard to tell how much they are getting but I know they are bugging her non stop. So I was able to get 2 to nurse right away but the little halfpint is stubborn and won't take a bottle and stand and boops her mamas udder and yells cause she is not getting anything.This is day 2 and I was getting worried for her.
FINALLY tonight she took 4 ounces of goat milk that I had frozen late last year just in case of trips. She didn't want anymore and then her mama stood up and she had a little and nursed her too. The other 2 piggies took over 6 ounces a piece. So I am sooooo relieved. I am going to supplement them 3 times a day and then go to 2 times a day when they hit 4 weeks old unless mamas production increases.She had a descent udder for a first timer when she freshened and now its half the size. I guess 3 is just to many for sure.
They are all doing great so relieved for sure.They all layed down in their little pile cause they all had their bellies full. Made my heart and soul full too. That little halfpint had me so worried. I thanked her for taking her bottle and gave her a big kiss.

I had made the cinnamon raisin sourdough bread from Maryjanes recipe and Pumpkin loves that stuff. I am giving her a half a slice twice a day for her extra treat. She just loves that bread. Well I'm off to get ready for bed. Its been a long, cold, rainy snowy yucky muddy day again but also a good day too. I want some sun......they said maybe sunday.....thats a big maybe. Take care all.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 01 2013 7:36:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  03:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, I love your pictures. Those big floppy ears are so cute! Hope every does well.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  09:05:31 AM  Show Profile
Linda, those kids are so cute! I bet you have your hands full right now. I am so glad they are all ok. I hope you get the sun tomorrow too. I would like to see it. It's snowing here. Lookout Mt. is beautiful, all white. But nothing here, just spitting off and on. I want some spring!

So first thing this morning, woke up and let the dogs out. Ran outside to check to see if Fiona had her lambs yet. Sure enough, right outside in the middle of the other ewes and being attacked by that darn old rooster, was a little tiny WET red lamb, crying to beat the band. So grabbed it and took it back to Fiona. She had another lamb with her. A white one that looks like Blossom. But she will not accept the red lamb. It looks just exactly like Gracie's ram lamb, Tater Tot. Exactly. So I do believe Fiona thinks it's him. So she's butting it out of the way. I grabbed both lambs, which are both ewe lambs, and rubbed them both and then on each other. Rubbed them together. Let Fiona smell my hands. She did finally let her nurse. She would sniff her, then almost butt her away, then change her mind. But every time I go check on them, little red in laying by herself and the white one is all cuddles up with Fiona.

So I am going to go get 2 doggie sweaters, just alike, for the lambs to wear. I hope that helps confuse Fiona. I'll also probably bottle feed little red lamb too. Fiona does let her nurse, but just doesn't seem to like her. She's the same size as the white lamb. I can't see any reason why she would not like her other than she looks just like Tater Tot.

I did have to put sweaters on Zarah's kids a few days ago. It's so cold and they are so small. So Ira Joe has a red one and Ella Belle has a cute little pink one with a fur collar. She looks like a little dive goat! I put pics on my outback farm FB page yesterday of them.

And I just talked to the vet about Abby. I told him she hasn't gotten up in several days , but she is eating and drinking. She lifts her head up every time I go out there. He said she more than likely will not get over this. He said to give her a few more days though. So I'll call him Monday morning and he might have to come back out and euthanize her. I think right now, that's the best thing to do for her.

All the other goats are doing great. I started Zarah, the one the vet did the fecal on, on Albon 2 days ago. She has one more dose today. Then early next week, I'll get fecals from the sheep and goats and run them in to the vet to see how they're doing before I give any more worm meds.

Hope all is well with everyone. Happy weekend!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  10:17:54 AM  Show Profile
just a quick thought. sometimes they stay down while healing i dont remember what you thought was her problem. my thought is there are cows down for weeks while they heal. you could try to get her up now and then. just so she can get things moving. i am just thinking she may be quietly healing. you said she is eating. so maybe give her a little more time.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  10:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes cows get down for a while after they calve especially if the calf wasnt positioned right or is too large and has to be pulled. I think it stuns their nerves in their hind quarters and time and rest will heal them.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  11:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Kris we had a ewe down for two weeks. I am not even sure what bought her down she was fine one day and we found her down in the field the next. We bought her in and Mike medicated her with anitibiotics and B shots for two weeks. She ate, drank water. We kept her propped up with a straw bale. Moved her every day. One day he decided that it was enough, whatever it was she was not going to recover from.
He decided to put her down as hard as that was. He went to the barn and she was gone from her spot. He finally spotted her running around the barn. She has been fine ever since..(a year and a half ago) It was the strangest thing. We have had animals go down that have not recovered. But we have had full recovery as well. With her age etc..maybe that will not be the case...but you never know. Especially if she is eating and drinking. Being there and seeing her situation you are the only one that can decide. You can tell if she is suffering or not. With our ewe she didn't seem to be suffering. Sometimes like Sherrye mentioned they are just healing.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
She doesn't seem to be in pain until she tries to stand, then she buckles and goes down again. I know she's pooping. When she does get up she does urinate. Her belly is getting bigger. I will wait a while more, but call the vet again Monday and see what he thinks. She is always happy to see me. And loves her junk food! She did eat grain with a lot of sunflower seeds. I gave her more Nurtidrench with B and some aspirin mixed in. I'll give her a shot of antibiotics too. I just hate to stick her any more than I have to.

Those are very encouraging stories of all y'alls cows and and ewes. It gives me some hope. She's the orneriest goat I have and is still the Queen Bee around here, even down like she is. So she could very well pull through. Who knows?

Just got sweater-shirts for the new lambs. It's on my blog if you want to see them. Too cute!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile
kris would you refresh my memory. what did she show first. does she have babies? i need to hear again. hugs to you

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  2:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Awww cute little kid coats!
Laura

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  5:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I emailed you.

So far the new lambs are doing good. Fiona is accepting little red lamb. I sure am glad. I had to get some plastic to cover the stall they are in because it's SO cold. And spitting snow all day. Zarah's 2 little kids have sweaters on too. The doe looks like a little diva goat. She's so cute with her pretty pink coat on. I have never done this before, but I have never bred for so early either. Poor little babies are cold. The other lambs are just barely a week old, but they are all doing great. Staying out with their moms. They all 5 hang out together. It's so fun to watch them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 02 2013 6:42:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  04:16:06 AM  Show Profile
All the baby pictures are soo cute. The little tank tops are just toooo cute. Ha
Kris what about taking a kid size sweater and putting on the babies? Just a thought.
MIchele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  07:29:18 AM  Show Profile
I had thought about getting some onesies or the baby tees. It's just so cold or I wouldn't do this. I've never had lambs or kids this early and now it's just freezing. Still spitting snow out there with a freezing wind.

Fiona now had runny poop, just like Darla and Gracie. I just gave her Pepto, sheep Nutridrench and a shot of Dectomax wormer. I put all the other sheep up front and shut the gate then let Fiona and her lambs out. The poor little red lamb has been nursing from the back end and Fiona has pooped on the poor baby. So I washed her little head off. Fiona tolerates her now and doesn't butt her away, but the poor thing has to just follow along and get what she can. She follows me around too. So I wonder if I should just go ahead and bottle feed her? But I want her to stay with the other sheep. She seems just fine and healthy. Anyway, I hate to see her neglected.

And the lady who is wanting Phoebe just called. She's coming up from Macon, They're in Cartersville now so should be here about noon. I hate to see her go. She's so sweet. But they have other goats. And this will put me milking Penelope twice a day now! I milked her this morning, with Phoebe still on her, and got nearly a gallon. And it's getting good now.

I hope y'all have a great Sunday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  09:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Kristin,
You are a wonderful mom to your animals.
God bless you,
Terri
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  09:35:16 AM  Show Profile

It
s a beautiful day here today. It's supposed to rain tommorrow though. So I let the sheep and lambs in the little house yard next door to eat the green grass there. Then they went over into the big 2 1/2 acre pasture. It's huge over there. (This picture only shows about 1'3 of the pasture.) And since I have only 8 sheep most of the time, I have to have it mowed several times during the summer and fall. They just cannot eat it all down fast enough. I also have to have the front pasture mowed as well. Someone said that I have too many animals on my small property. I have about 5 1/2 acres. The only land that does not have sheep or goats on it is my front yard. And the garden in spring, summer and fall. Then they get that too.

My goal is to have the front and big pastures divided into smaller sections. I can do 4 in the front pasture and at least 8 in the larger pasture. I just need fencing and lots of help. I'll start on the front pasture first. That way I can do the intensive rotational grazing for the sheep. I hope to be able to one day have NO pasasites at all. And doing it this way, I feel like I can do that. But it will take time.

Phoebe is now at her new home in MAcon, Ga. I'm so glad they didn't get little Ira Joe. Then Ella belle would have been the only kid, til Sandy had hers. So now, just 2 little kids here. Sandy is due in about a month or so. Zeeboo, I have no clue. Probably more toward the end of May or early June. I milked Penelope last night. Not too much then. But this morning, half a gallon! And it's tasting really good now. Just called one of my milk customers. I'll start delivering milk Fridays again!

Thank you, Terri. I try to be a good farmer and animal owner. But sometimes things happen and it gets too much to handle. Then things get better. They always do. Like today. Beautiful blue sky and sunshine. All the animals are outside, soaking up the sun right now. I think they all know it's going to rain soon. But only Tuesday. The rest of the week is nice and sunny again!

I hope you all have a great week!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 04 2013 09:37:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  10:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Temporary fencing (electronet type fencing)works great for sectioning off pastures. I think you can have about 4 sheep per acre and with good pasture and rotational grazing it can get up to 7. That would include lambs. I am from Michigan, I am not sure what the recommendations are in other areas.
Good Luck with your fencing. I know that we are working on fencing this spring, its a lot of work.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  07:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday it started raining about 2'oclock and we probably got at least 3 inches of rain on an already saturated ground. Then around 8 it changed to snow and it was a wet snow.This morning woke up to about 6 inches of super heavy snow. One of the really tall cedar trees has bent over and it laying on the electric lines. I hope it doesn't take our power out. The power company had trimmed them back but they should have taken the whole tree down.

Chores this morning was kinda rough. My hand is still a problem.....today it will be 3 weeks since the surgery. I turned to open the window for the kitties to go in and out of the barn and my back went crazy and started to spasm on the left side all the way around to the front of my waste. I could not stand up or hardly take a breath. I went to the house bent in two and told my hubby I was in trouble and needed help. I had him get me 2 advil and stayed slumped over for awhile. I managed to stand up mostly and walk to the barn. With his help chores are done. My son is raking out the wet bedding. The water came through the barn last night. Thank goodness we have raised stalls in our barn so at least its dry there.Its so nasty outside I can't believe it. When you walk on the snow the oozy mud comes up through it. I have not seen weather like this in a while.

The triplets does are doing well. Two of them take the bottle really well. Little sprite still is stubborn but I know she is getting some from her mom because her belly is round and she plays like a little sprite. Sometimes she will take some bottle other times she refuses. But they are growing like weeds. I have 2 more due this friday and saturday. Hopefully the weather will be better then.

Anyone get this crazy weather? I am just glad my hubby and son made it home last night. They have a long drive...hubby 1 1/2 hours and my son an hour. It took almost double that for them to get home. I was not able to sleep until they made it in. That was around 1:00 in the morning maybe later.I felt truly blessed to hear them drive up the driveway. Truly relieved.

Well gotta go to the barn. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 06 2013 08:27:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda,
Hope your back feels better soon. You definitely don't need a sore back.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  06:39:47 AM  Show Profile
Sending up a prayer for your back Linda.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  5:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Laura and Terri. My back is way better wish the hand would heal as fast.

I have been at the barn since 7 this morning starting with chores. My doe Snackcake went into labor. She had been on watch this past week because she kept passing stuff that had me worried. Anyway around 3 today she finally started pushing. I ended up having to go find the front legs and pulled a 10 lb. buck....the second boy was backwards he barely weighed in at 5 lb.......and the last one was a girl who weighs about 7 lbs. I have been wanting a doe from her so bad.
I promptly named her Twinkie. The other 2 are called Peanut brittle for the little one and Rocky road for the big boy. I had to stay at the barn for hours because she went all nerotic on me and was digging like a fool and plowing up her stall.She drank 3 gallons of electolite water, fruit bread, part of my pepsi and grilled cheese,her grain and anything she could get a hold of. She carried on like a mad elephant talking and digging. She was trying to lick all my hair off my head and face. She drove me about crazy. I gave her a banamine shot and finally after 3 hours she started to calm down. She has plum wore me out.She is a good mama but I have never had her so keyed up like this before. You would of swore I gave her red bull to drink....lol.

I did manage to run in and throw dinner in the oven and finally was able to eat. Boy did dinner taste extra good tonight. Watching another doe she was due today. Sleep may not be in my plans tonight have to wait and see.

You all have a good evening.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 10 2013 5:32:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page