Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  04:09:22 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Linda, hope you heal quickly!
Got to make cheese today, to use up milk. Currently tired of making cheese all the time. I do get tired of all the work, but keep plugging away. I hope to take some time and do some cross country skiing. My neighbor has groomed his trails, and it is so pretty in the woods, with all the snow. Doing cow checks everyday now. No one should calve yet, but I don't want to miss anyone.
take care all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  6:51:18 PM  Show Profile
hey michelle that sounds so fun. i bet its beautiul. we are warm this week. linda i had that surgery. it is still a success for me. i am very happy. i had to have elbows and wrists on both hands one at a time of course. so take care and keep us posted. hoping for a fast recovery for you.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  06:45:20 AM  Show Profile
well girls i feel sad today.... in the past six months or so we have sold or butchered way too many cows. a few days ago it was maudie. papa and i both were upset. there just was no fixing her. she had been fed so much crap her legs and feet were shot. from a herd of 14 down to 5. some folks come today to look at Fi Fi. she is a 7 month jersey. due to my health changes needed to be made. then a severe money challenge for hay. we get papa's ssi retirement starting in april. then i can let go more. its been difficult to say good by to these girls. i love them all. for now i have 3 white parks a holstein steer and my belle milking jersey. i do have hazel and am milking her. i dont own her though. at least not yet. so my hay bill will get better. i will pick up bummer calves though. we will raise for beef. we were given 2 gilts. i will pay market price to him later. hoping to use our duroc boar. we have had great weather here. so lots of cleaning getting done. anyway it is just sad to me and have the pasture so empty.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye I know how hard it is to let your "kids" go. Yes they are like family. It is part of owning farm animals, just not the fun part. It is cold again here. Lots of snow too. Looking forward to spring weather! (skip the mud though)
take care now
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  1:33:34 PM  Show Profile

My new goats!

Michelle, sounds like you are busy making lots of cheese. Do you sell it?

Sherrye, I am so sorry you're having to get rid of so many animals lately. But sometimes we just have to do things that aren't fun. I know you did the best you could for Maudie. And she had a great life with you. You should be ahppy about that. I hope you are able to do all you need to do.

It's freezing here. Like Arctic freezing. Cold air like I haven't felt yet this winter. I did go out and mowed the front yard. I've been trying to clean up the front of the house. It's been looking really bad. It's starting to look better now. I am going to get a blower so I can blow off this nasty driveway. It always seems to end up right in the corner, by my kitchen door. And then gets tracked into the house. I also hung out my sheets to dry. Had to go chase them across the yard a few times and once they were blown over the fence into the pasture! But they smell SO good and fresh and I can't wait to fall into bed tonight.

I hope you all are having a good weekend so far. And Linda, if you are reading this, I hope all is well with you! I'm going to call you soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  04:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, winter is hanging on here. Cold, and windy this am. Kris your spring time weather sounds so nice. Mowing the yard, hanging sheets, wow those are dreams for me right now. We got a foot of snow at least. 2 when I got up at 5, and tomorrow below zero again. I don't sell any cheese, I do give alot to my kids, and family. I think I will start freezing some milk, for when I get pigs again. That is a different looking breed of goats you got in your picture! They must have really small teats! Good luck milking them!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  07:55:07 AM  Show Profile
yup, those goats would be cheap to feed. i tell you chickens do not miss a thing. folks ask us why only some chickens are out? we tell them those are the ones smarter than us. we were having spring days here too. now that has passed and we are cold again. i have been making soap flowers with the grands. my house is a mess and my barn has poop. BUT i am filled with love from those kids. boy am i tired. LOL . it might rain today. in the desert we never know if the moisture will get over the mountain. i hope it does. i need a old movie, candy and a soap project. the front porch has been remade. it is a store for milk and food and hand made crafts. we have spent money on nails. all the stuff we had or was donated by a customer. it is looking cute. so the jersey calf goes this week. i know it is to be expected to sell animals etc. my challenge was these were to be long time pet stock. we had to butcher some good cows for meat. they had not sold. i am keeping the attitude that i am making room for my horse or mule. i hope to find something this summer. is any one making soap. i was just successful with milk soap. i am happy. hazel the jersey is still giving 3 gallons a day, i am so addicted to raw milk. it has been 7 or 8 years since i drank pasturized. so many folks want it. i am sold out every day. my friend lisa is bringing me her 5 gallons. she has a jersey girl too. Michelle, when does your cow calve again? when its cold at night i hated the cow checks. i would put all my gear on just in case. i think we are making cheese this week. what kind did you make? i have been using a small wine cooler to age my cheddars. i sure wish i had a cow that gives about 10 gallons a day. i guess i need a new fresh holstein. LOL with all the pigs and chickens and people i sure could use it. i hope you all stay warm and dry today. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  12:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherry, My milk cow is due in August. So milking her twice a day. My beefers should be due in March now. Those are the ones I check twice a day. They like to sneak a calving in. They don't give notice like they used to, it seems. For cheeses, I mostly make colby, our favorite. I dont' have much luck ageing cheese. I have done 2 batches of hot pepper gouda for my boys. They like it. I also leave the colby for curds too. Being in Wisconsin, we like our cheese curds. I just had to clean out some of my ma and dads driveway. The darn wind is blowing, and drifting the snow. It is nice and sunny out, but very cold. I made a bunch of goat milk soap the end of the year. My recipe calls for palm oil, but I substituted tallow, and it turned out great. Sherry your porch sounds like a great little store. Wish we could do something like that here, but can't sell dairy products fresh. Oh well. Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  08:57:09 AM  Show Profile

Milk from this morning. We're gettin' there!

Sherrye, you sound like an amazing grandmother. I wonder if I would be too, if mine didn't have to live with me. I think I would enjoy them so much more if they came to visit or we visited them. Right now I feel more like they are my kids and I am the mean parent. One day soon, they will have their own home. We are working on that. And that's a lot of milk each day. Good for you.

Michele, you cheese sounds good. I am anxious to get back to making cheese again. I want to make some hard cheeses again. This year is strange, with all the goats due at different times, all spread out. I don't like it this way. I'd rather they all come at once. I have 2 due soon. And the new doe, Zeeboo, I still not thinking she's bred at all. Her and Sandy were going at each other this morning, so I put Zeeboo in with the bucks again. Maybe something will happen. I don't like this. I've had her about 3 months now.

I never got around to calling Linda. I sure hope she's ok. Hi, if you're checking in here!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  10:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I am typing with one hand and hope to not have to many errors. I am hanging in there. Tired of trying to do everything with one hand it wears me out and chores take forever. I had carpel tunnel surgery and they also took a cyste out below my ring finger in the palm of mt hand. My finger is still dead numb I hope it comes back. The pain is better today and I get my stitches out next monday if it has healed correctly. Then I can take a normal shower and get my hand wet....yay!!!!

I have 3 does due to kid starting feb. 28th. I hope they wait that long so my stitches will be out. Two of them are first timers and I want to be able to help them if they need it. I hope there babies handle taking the milk cause I won't be able to milk for awhile. They all seem like they are doing well so far and are healthy.I have increased their feed to help with the babies growth. They sure have grown in the bellies quite fast the past 3 weeks. I gave the mamas their Barvac CDT shot so the babies will receive some of the immunity while still in there mamas.

Kris love seeing the jars of milk it does my body and soul good to see that picture......I can almost taste the milk from here. Was zeeboo suppose to be bred when you bought her?

Sherry your little store sounds so nice. Now you can put your nice goat milk soap in it. Sounds like even with the new changes your still a busy lady and making good changes for you.

Michele the cheese sounds so good. I hace been eating storebought.....bummer. We have been quite cold the past few days. We went down to 12 degrees last night and its still cold outside and the darn wind is blowing like crazy.

Well everyone take care....I think it took me about 30 minutes to type what it should have taken 5 min. to.

Darn I had to edit this like 5 times....boy did I mess up typing with one hand.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 21 2013 10:43:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  10:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Kris what kind of a filter is that. It looks quite interesting? Does it use milk filters? The one I use does and you throw them out after one use.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  3:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! So glad you're back. I never did get around to calling you. I did call today and it half rang, but my daughter was coming out to the car. Oh well, something's always coming up. I hope you get your stitches out. I still can't feel half my left thumb from when I almost cut it off 2 years ago.

If anyone has time, please go to my blog. I have written a lot there about what's going on here right now. And I'm tired. I just want to go to bed and stay there. Ugh. If it's not one thing, it's something else.

The people that got Trudy and her 2 kids came today and got Ursula, Penelope's long eared doe kid. So little Phoebe is an only kid right now. When Trudy's buck kid is weaned, I'll get him back.

It's RAINING again. Yippee. Darn, just when we were getting a little bit dry here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Linda, almost forgot your question. I use one of those coffee filters that are mesh, that I have used for a long time. I put it in a funnel to hold it while straining. I do have 2 stainless steel filters that take the white round throw away filters. A small one and a big one for when I have a lot of milk. But I just like this coffee filter. I throw it on the dish washer every few days, along with the milk pails. I also have a big stainless steel milk tote, I think it's a 2 gallon, with the lid. Haven't used it in a few years. Not enough milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  8:20:17 PM  Show Profile
Kris read your post on your blog and left a comment.
I am up late because its sleeting ice really bad and my son has to work till midnight. He has a 1 hour drive home on curvy backroads so I am staying up until he gets home if he can. I am really worried. They say we could get 2 inches of ice.We may lose our power if that happens.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  04:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I hope your son made it home last night. How scary.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  07:20:42 AM  Show Profile
linda, so good to hear from you. will be waiting and watching for you to come back. i send a prayer and a hug for you. i remembber mine and it just takes a bit of time to heal.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  10:05:00 AM  Show Profile
My son made it home about 1:30 last night.He said the roads were bad but he went super slow. I did not get much sleep cause chores start early so hope to grab a nap today.The ice is melting so chores tonight won't be as dicey to walk.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  1:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Linda glad to hear you are up and doing a little bit. take care and hope you heal quickly. I hope your ice melts quickly. That is no fun. We are getting snow again today. 4-5 inches again. Will plow tomorrow. I have been cheating lately, and freezing milk. Will use it when I get pigs again. I have plenty of cheese made, and am just tired! I wish there was a good way to preserve milk, so it tasted good. But have not found that yet. Will check your blog next Kris.
take care now
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile
So glad your son made it home, Linda. And remember last year when you fell on ice? Isn't that what started all this? Please be extra careful out there. Do you put the ice melt stuff down?

Michele, I do not like frozen goat milk at all. I haven't tried cow yet, but I bet it's about the same. It just tasted grainy to me. Don't like it frozen. If you find a way to freeze it so it'll taste like milk, let us know. I think only pigs and chickens don't really care.

I AM SO SICK OF MUD!!! I am worn out. Everywhere I have to go to get to the sheep or goats is PURE slippery slimey stinkin' MUD. I would love to build some boardwalks for the paths, for me and the critters. I have 2 ewes with foot rot because of all this crap. Dirty stinkin' goats feet too.I feel so bad for them all.The only ones who are loving it is Stella and Bubba. They go roll around and play in it. Silly dogs. Then of course they come inside with wet muddy stinky feet. Ugh. I am just not liking this winter AT ALL. And I am so allergic to hay. (I hate hay. Sorry, but I just do.) And allergic to sheep wool. And baby goats. And baby lambs. I can hardly see. My eyes are red and itchy and watery, all the time. I am just being a whiney butt right now. I know there are so many worse things. But right now, to me, this is the worst. Poor me...

I know it will get better. We will dry up. It will get warm again. It will. And I can hardly wait!

I forgot to say that the people who got Trudy and her kids a few weeks ago, came and got Ursula last night. ANd poor little Phoebe misses her so much. I feel so sorry for her. I put her and Penelope in the stall with Abby and her buck kids so she can play with them. I sure wish Zarah and Sandy would go ahead and have their kids soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  5:07:51 PM  Show Profile
oh kris my heart goes right out to you. some times things are just hard. i had no idea you were allergic that just sucks. i hope spring comes fast for you. hugs and love

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  5:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, You make me laugh! I too am allergic to hay, wool so I feel your pain. We were thinking about getting a small goat, really two, but the more I think about it, the less of a good idea it is becoming. I'll just come visit you and your critters.
Rain, rain and more to come. I know we will be wanting rain this Summer, so I won't complain!
Hope all your critters get their hoofs well, and that you will be able to figure out a way to keep them dry.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  08:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Zarah just kidded!! A buck, which I had to pull, and a doe. They're all doing good. Tucked into a stall in the goat barn. I had to come in to eat. If you'd like to see pictures, I have albums on my FB pages. It's Outback Farm, my business page. I'm the one with the sign, in Chiakamauga, Ga. They are SO cute. The bick is a clone of John Henry and the doe looks just laike Abby, her grandma.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile
We get loads of sandy gravel dumped in our horse pens and other places around here. It creates a more firm footing. I trade firewood for it to a friend of mine who has a gravel pit but it can be bought by the ton at gravel places too. It helps if one has a hydrolic trailer that dumps it.
The thing about freezing milk is that should be used with in 2 weeks or it gets different. I can goats milk, but that makes it taste like canned milk and only good for cooking. Or on cereal.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile
oh kris, yipee are you done now? i am glad you were there to help. i am pig sitting some mini pigs one had 2 babies today. dang i been trying for a year to get a pregenant pig here. now the one that is is a mini and not mine. gotta love it. so is the mud and snow for you gals getting better? we are cold and windy. on tues we warm up again. hope you are all well and happy. i am going out to mexican food tonight. friends are treating us. yum happy days to you all, sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  5:03:35 PM  Show Profile
My first ewe, Leelah, just had a single ewe lamb this afternoon! So here go the sheep! She's a big one. Outback Farm #6. It's a B name year, so I need some good B names. Any ideas?

Zarah's kids are doing great. They are so cute! I love them. The little buck looks just like Iris Josie, Abby's bad baby from last year. So I named him Ira Joe. And the doe looks just like Zarah now, with the white hair over the black. Too cute.

Sherrye, I hope you have a good night! And don't eat too much. Those little mini pigs are just too much.

I am so tired. Good night!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page