Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  08:58:22 AM  Show Profile
I had the worst day yesterday. These goats are absolutely DRIVING ME CRAZY! I cannot get this electric fence to work so they'll stay in. So I have to keep all the dry does in with the bucks and now Abraham the ram is back there too. I have bought all new pulleys, cleaned up the ground rods, ran new wire on the bottom at one section. But the bottom wire WIL NOT work. I am just frustrated. I have cried and cussed and done horrible things to some of the goats. Like throw them into the fence so they'll get schocked. Which they apparently don't care to be electrocuted at all because they go right through anyway.

Plus now Abby is not feeding her 2 bucklings. I am having to bottle feed them. She is in ketosis. Her udder is almost cold. The kids are with her. And yesterday, she got out of the fence and went back in the farthest part of the weed jungle, WITH THE KIDS. I had to go out there at 11:00 last night and hunt for those poor little babies and bring them back to the barn. Went back out there to get Abby back in. Fed the kids.

Then Penelope had her 2 doe kids out yesterday. They had such a good time on the rock pile. But I think poor little Phoebe was so tired and her leg might have been hurting her. She has got the most sweetest little tiny premie baby cry and it just breaks my heart all to pieces. She would lay down, then get up, then lay down again. I just held her and rubbed her tummy for a long time. It was so pitiful. But she's fine this morning. But Penelope is such a good momma. And she has the best udder full of good creamy milk that I am milking twice a day now. Abby's bucks are getting all of that. I love Penelope. I love Abby too and hope she pull sout of this.

Then theirs Trudy, with the super rock hard udder. Which is getting softer every day now. But not much milk. She is a good mother and the kids are thriving with no help from me. But I think her udder is just way too small for a milk goat farm.

So this morning, I put several ads on CL, to try to sell Abby's kids, Trudy's kids and maybe Trudy, and Iris and Brie, the 2 devil goats. I have got to do something to keep my sanity. And this is it.

(Deleted this paragraph.)I took this part out. It really looked horrible. The goat is fine and she will not go near the fence now. This is how I was told to get a goat to be afraid of the electric fence. No animal was hurt in this situation. I promise.

I think I just need to get field fence and get rid of all the electric crap. That would solve that problem real fast. We'll be getting our taxes done when hubby gets home. So we'll have some money then to buy fence. I have plenty of t-posts that I had used for running beans. Which I will never do again. I sure do learn things the hard way around here.

So please think of me here, as I slowly lose my mind.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 08 2013 5:22:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  1:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

<<Big Hugs>>>!! I know your frustration with the electric fence, fencing issues in general, and keeping stubborn things in the darn fence where they should be! My large Curly horse gelding would get along wonderfully with your escaping goats. Maybe that's not a good idea, they would collaborate on new ways to get out!
I've gotten to where I pop him with a pellet gun when I seem him leaning on the fence. Hopefully the new solar fence zapper charges fully soon!

We've patched the areas where he fully messed up the field fence with cattle or hog panels (I've seen them called both). They are heavy duty enough to stand up to any type of leaning he does (which is plenty!), and the holes are small enough that a hoof can't get caught (for a horse), but I think a goat's head would not fit through either.
I have no idea of current price of said panels, and I believe they come in different lengths. Last I looked I think they were about $30/each.
My plan is to set t-posts and some railroad ties to fit the length (perhaps one in the middle as well). While it will be quite spendy for the total length needed, in my situation it will last much much longer (said horse has demolished hundred's of dollars worth of fence in the few years I have had him).
Perhaps it is something you can look into?

I'll be praying for you and your sanity!

Alicia

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  12:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Truthfully, I hate electric fences. First off it hurts to get shocked by it! Secondly I don't trust them. I would put up woven wire,or the cattle panels and run a hot wire inside of it. Sometimes the insulators don't work right, and shorts. I have changed out the insulators before, to get a wire working. And of course there has been my own stupidity of the wire not hooked up right, even when you thought it was. If you are going to install a new fence, do it right from the start. Putting up a good fence costs more but saves in the long run. I don't have goats though, so I don't really know. I do know about fencing and cattle. Good luck Kris and Alicia with your fences. Jennifer, your goats sure are cuties!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I think so too. I am in the process of switching out my electric for regular field fencing and cant wait till it is done. I will then run a hot wire on the inside to keep the goats off the fence but that would be it.

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile
We have an electric fence I really like it. Keeps my sheep and goats in and unwanted critters out.
We had someone put it in for us before we ever bought any livestock.
Six strands hi tensile fence. We have only had one goat who refused to respect it. She would brace herself and run through it. We ended up selling her because she kept doing so much damage to our fruit trees and blueberries when she got out.
We have about a 15 acre pasture fenced in.
We priced it out doing it ourselves buying fencing from a local farm store...when we had a guy come in that installs fencing, he was cheaper than if we had done it ourselves and it was up in one day.

If you are having trouble with your fence make sure you have enough ground rods. Minimum is three and get a big charger, they are more but they keep the animals where they belong.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:09:01 AM  Show Profile
I sold Trudy and her kids last night to a really nice homeschool family that lives pretty close. They are going to keep the little buck til he's weaned then come get Ursula, the little doe with the ears. I am so happy they got Trudy. Her and I just didn't seem to click at all. I feel like a weight has been lifted already.

And a guy called about coming to look at Brie and Iris, the 2 bad babies. He lives in S. Ga. but will be coming up about 60 miles from here and might come here to see them. He wanted to know if I'd take $250 for them both and I said no, they are worth at least $200 a piece really. I don't really have to sell them. But I will to a good family who will keep them. I asked him a lot of questions. So I hope he's a good guy. I'll know when I see him.

I so hope someone will get Abby's 2 bucklings. They are so sweet. And taking to the bottles like pros. I just did not want to bottle feed anyone. I don't min, but it's taking all Penelope has to feed hers and Abby's too. I'll keep trying. Maybe the guy who comes tonight will want one for a herd sire.

So far today, only Zarah and Brie are getting out. It's a beautiful day here. So unlike the rest of the country. I saw a picture just now of an opened front door with snow almost to the top of the door. And a dog who wanted out really bad! Not what I want to see here ever.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
It's good to hear you in better spirits!
Glad to hear Trudy went to a good home. Fingers crossed that all goes well with the Man from GA.

Jennifer, how are the babies doing? They sure are cutie pies!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristin glad you were able to lighten the load and they went to a good home. Hopefully the other fella will buy the other 2. I hope it works out for you. How is Abby doing?? Did she start to improve....I have been hoping that she was getting better.

We are actually sunny here today too. The clouds moved out overnight and it dropped down to 20 degrees so I didn't have to walk in icky mud this morning. Its not real warm here 40 degrees and a little bit breezy but I am lovin the sun. I just put together a cinnamon raisin sourdough breakfast bread in the pot to rise and a blueberry dump cake in the oven. I am fighting a cold and I want some comfort food.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  4:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I just sold Iris and Brie. And that they left in an open trailor for a 4 hour ride back to Meansville, Ga. At night. In the freezing cold. But I did and they are gone now. And I really hope this guy will keep them for a long time. So I am down to just 5 does and 4 kids. It feels weird. But I know that this is what I needed to do at this time in my life.

Linda, I'm so glad you had a nice sunny day. And your bread and dump cake sound really good! I was going to make wheat bread but never got around to it. I will tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, the babies are growing like weeds!! They are taking every drop of milk and then some. I have to buy milk to add to their bottles!!!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  07:38:23 AM  Show Profile
howdy girls, i wanted to pop on and say howdy. i am still here. just working my BUTT off. we have been without income now for 3 months. yikes... so i am running crazy to make ends meet. i miss you all. lots of cow changes going on here. will post when i have more power. been a little sick with my disability. so it makes normal stuff hard. weather is good. so sorry for you in the east. sending hugs and love to you all. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  07:42:00 AM  Show Profile
What do you do with an onrey buck....... Well Sharif and I had a heart to heart today. I trimmed feet and did dewormer, and when I turned him loose he immediately turned and was going to hit me and hard. Well I dodged him and he whirled and came at me again, so I grabbed him by the back of the neck pulled him forward so his feet hit the ground, flanked him and threw him, then I hurried and sat on him.. He didnt like it, and struggled just a bit. I let him up when he quieted down. He thought about getting me again and I just grabbed his head in a big bear hug and just loved on him, petted and patted, and scratched. He did calm down and then just wanted to be petted. I think he was just testing me. But I will not tolerate or put up with a buck that wants to hit me and mean it.. But I do love him, he is sweet when he wants to be.. :)

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  09:55:30 AM  Show Profile
i cull them. i have a balance issue. so for me i would end up hurt. sell him to someone. i used to have goats. when the boys were too rough i shipped them. not worth the risk. hormones in a buck are crazy and they act that way some times if you love him i would say remove him from the girls and give him a cut buddy. just my humble opinion. hope you get it workd out. i love nubians so much i just needed to narrow down my chores. so our goaties went to my friend a few properties down. they are retired now and happy in pasture. i go see them. happy days to you

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  10:55:30 AM  Show Profile
My bucks dont run with my does..

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  11:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Good to hear from you Sherry. Sorry you have not been feeling well.Sounds like changes are going on at your place. Hope they are good changes for you. You take care of yourself and update us when you can. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 10 2013 11:20:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  1:39:44 PM  Show Profile
We had a really mean buck for a little while when the kids were little. He had big horns and he pinned my 7 yr old youngest daughter who was very skinny to the barn one day. Her little tiny waist just fit between his horns and he was trying to grind her into the barn but couldn't. He was really mean. Is so funny how sometimes they will turn out like that. I have gotten a few and every one of them was from crossing nubian with either saanen or alpine. Each breed just has certain qualities that sometimes dont match up with certain qualities of another breed. We finally took that buck and sold him at a sale barn. The guy paid us and told us to go unload him out in a pen which worked out real well cause he might not have took him otherwise. good riddance. I cannot stand mean animals whether goat, chicken or cows or geese. Dinner is what they are.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile
We have a Ram who can "charge". They are not fun.
We just keep our guard up. Most of the time he is fine but occasionally he has rammed us and its always when we least expect it.
All of our Rams that we have owned have been like that. Usually during breeding season.
The buck we have is leery and never approaches us. So he has not been a problem.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  06:36:32 AM  Show Profile

It worked! So do y'all think Sandy is pregnant or not? I wrote a blog post with more info if you want to hop on over there to see it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 11 2013 06:37:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  06:44:20 AM  Show Profile

I just had to share some more baby cuteness. I am still bottle feeding Abby's 2 bucklings, in the morning and evening, just to help her out some. She is letting them nurse a lot more now. Doing much better. I am so glad she is. I was really worried I'd lose her. But the kids are doing great! I am trying to sell them as soon as possible, just to make it easier on Abby. So anyone need a good herd sire soon?

And here is Momma Abby, with her nose stuck in her hay. That's her daughter from 2 years ago, Zarah, looking in. Doesn't Abby look better? She is eating like a pig again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 11 2013 06:46:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  06:57:08 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the reply linda. i am doing great with the disability right now. we are just your regular Butt tired. LOL i am starting halter training today on the calves. my jersey girl that i put a halter on this week has it hanging. she is toooo smart for her own good. no piggies born yet. still waiting. i sure wish their was a way to tell when bred. ultrasound is expensive. lost a rooster last night. so sad to lose him. i am going to have to cover my chicken yard now. Sandra how many goats do you have? i miss having them so much. they are so joyful. we just took in some mini pigs. we are boarding them. the folks lost their farm. they are paying us to do it. there was one that they gave me. a little black boy he is a wild one. well my sweet neighbor called. she wants him instead of me butchering him. so he goes to her. she is the sweetest kindest person i have met. sun is up o i am going out to start chores. i miss you all so much. i am trying to keep up on posts on M.J. oh and kris, i made 5 batches of soap this week. i found my recipe. so i will get it to you. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  07:00:50 AM  Show Profile
oh kris zarah looks great too. so glad abbey is looking so shiney. you have been working so hard this last year. are you doing farmers market this year? i would be happy to send you my body butter recipe too

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  04:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Kris those pictures are cute! Enjoy the fun of the babies. Sherrye you are pretty busy! good luck with everything. Jennifer hope your buck settled down. Probably mad after the hoof trimming! :) Howdy Sandra, Laura and Linda. Hope you are all having a good winter.
Kris did you get your wood stove issues figured out? Wood heat is the best.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  06:11:22 AM  Show Profile
The bucklings didn't want a bottle this morning! I let them all out because it's a pretty morning. But more rain is heading in for this afternoon. They are having fun outside.

Michele, no, I'm back to the darned ole central heat. I have learned that it works better turned up to at least 69-70. It's actually warm. It got so warm upstairs my daughter had to open windows. But I just turned the vents off. Hubby will be home this weekend, so maybe we can get it working again. There really is nothing like a good warm wood heat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  1:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am so glad Abby is doing better. Sounds like all the goodies she got turned her around. I bet you are relieved. Those babies of hers sure have grown and are lookin good.
This will probably be my last post for a while because Wed. morning I am having carpal tunnel surgery and also a cyste taken from the palm of my hand. Kind of a 2 for one deal. I will read and keep up with the post until I am able to type again. You all take good care and kiss those babies for me.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  2:41:40 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'll be thinking about you. I know you will be fine and so much better real soon. And back to milking all those goats soon too! Get your hubby to let us know how you are, ok?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page