Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile
I am so so sorry Alicia. I wish I had answers for you. Sometimes no matter how much love and care we give our animals sometimes things go wrong and we have no answers and can't always fix them. I know you are grieving and very upset. I have been there a few times myself. Please be kind to yourself today and do what you can for the girls you have left. I hope you figure out what happened for your own peace of mind. Hugs and prayers to you. Once again I am very sorry for you loss.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  10:10:02 AM  Show Profile
I purchased some new hay for my girls. Its a really green hay, soft and very dense. It does not have alfalfa in it and if it does its very little. I gave my girls some Thursday and friday and then more of it Saturday.They didn't touch the hay I was giving them before.
I spent the night up drenching and trying to save one of my does from frothy bloat. She is pregnant and I thought she was gonna die. I have only had this bad of a case one time before in 20 years. This morning I have 3 more does with frothy bloat.....they are not as bloated but have foam dripping from their mouth. The hay looks and smells good and I have never had goats bloat like this from eating hay. Now I am afraid if they eat it again they will do the same.They didn't even touch the hay that I was feeding them before. I mixed the 2 and they only ate the new. I am not sure what to do or think at this time. The 3 didn't touch grain this morning and the ones that did were not intersted in the hay where before they attacked it like candy. I think I am going to have it tested and make sure I am not missing something.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Linda, thank you for the kind words. I'm feeling a bit better now.
I hope you get your hay/bloat issue figured out.
I'm thinking that the bloat was getting worse inside her, pressing her lungs and heart. Her sides/flanks went down mid day yesterday, hip bones poking back out and looking pretty normal. But when she laid down for the night, the rest I thought she needed from being pushed around by Sunny all afternoon...Must have been a different story.
She was breathing fine...not labored or stressed sounding. A few large sighs, perhaps like she couldn't get enough air in her lungs. But she would perk up everytime I came out to check on her. At least pick up her head and flick her ears at me.

Ugh...I know sometimes "things" just happen, been there with horses and their issues.
Just not how I was hoping to start my day!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  1:28:35 PM  Show Profile
well i am so sad for you alicia. i know that feeling of defeat. what a hard thing to come out and find. how is your other girl doing? these darn animals sure are something. we wrap our hearts around them for sure. so sending you hugs and love today. i sure hope the goats are better linda?? i have never had to deal with frothy bloat. i think it is scarey. so are you pulling the hay? maybe it has a spray on it. some does to help dry damp hay just a thought. sure hope they are better. kris are you warm and dry or did the cold hit you? we are getting a break right now. i hope your girls are all ok. your other post had me laughing for sure. funny city folks. well we are butchering 3 more animals friday. very sad here about this. even though 2 are steers. i knew their time was coming. we are also sending cripple cow she is not bred. her feet are worse although we have treated her with care. so she goes. some of you know we are cutting back. my health has changed some again so we are slowing down. belle will calve in april so we will dry her off this week. i will be milking one cow for now. well sending a howdy and a hug for you girls with such big challenges. hoping for happy days ahead for you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  3:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Alicia,
So sorry to hear about your cow.
Losing animals is the hardest thing about farming.
You never get used to it. I know I have had times when I wonder why I am doing this. We had a bad year several years back with goats.
Again, sorry for you loss!

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  4:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Alecia I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost a yearling goat to clostridium and it sounds very similar to what your cow did. I wonder if you should give the others a clostridium shot so they don't get sick too? I don't know ANYTHING about clostridium in cows but I know with my goats the yearling wasn't vaccinated and the older doe was but not current. The grown doe aborted from it and got sick, but she lived. The cold got them stressed and I think it sort of brought it on. Another name for clostridium is overeating disease in goats. I think it might be called blackleg in cows, but could be totally wrong on that. I hope all goes well for you and you don't have any more troubles with them....again so sorry you lost her, she sounds like she was a sweetie. Hugs and hugs.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Thankx ladies.
Today was tough, and a tough lesson over all.
Opted not to do any tests/necropsy, as hubby is in between jobs (a long story there..he left a very good job for a position with a friend..more $$, but no insurance..he's going back to the first job, THANK GOD, but it will be another week or 2 before he starts again. We have enough saved for the necessities, and unfortunately Nellie's death/tests isn't one of them)

I feel very responsible. Bloat was only part of the cause I believe. She went from a super controlled, nutritionist created diet to a "family cow" diet. Dairy cow feed is next to impossible to get in this area. I was slowly making changes to the what I feed, but it seems it was too little, too late. A very tough lesson, costly for all involved.

As soon as there are a few paychecks under our belt I will be having the vet draw blood work on Sunny and Cinnamon. Make sure all their shots are covered, perhaps a few that the vets don't think are "necessary". They are used to dealing with hardier beef cows.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, I'm so sorry. I just saw this. I talked to Linda awhile ago and she told me about it. That's so sad. We all seem to be going through a lot with our animals right now. Now Linda with her does. And my Trudy with all her problems. I just hope we can all turn them around. I hope your other girls are ok. I know how much these animals can mean to us and to have this happen is so hard. I lost my favorite ewe last summer to something I could have prevented if I had known sooner. I still get mad at myself for that. but we learn things every day. And hopefully others can learn from what we have been through. I hope you have a good week and your other 2 girls are ok.

And Linda, I thank you for being here for me when I call you. You are the best! And so knowledgeable. I sure hope all your does turn around and get over this hurdle soon. I was just thinking about buying some alfalfa hay for mine. I am down to just 6 bales of hay right now. But I swapped a half a lamb for 37 bales from a friend. I just have to go get them. I sure hope they are good. I have used the same guys hay now for a few years so haven't gotten hay from this girl in a few years.

Abby might kid tonight. Maybe. I just can't seem to tell anymore about these does. And then again, it could be Penelope next. I didn't even think Abby was pregnant til a few weeks ago. And just a few days ago, she hardly had a belly. Now she looks huge. And poor Penelope has been huge for months now. I can't figure them out at all.

I hope y'all have a good restful night. I might not.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  09:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Well update on the does.
Sat up with Clover till midnight last night. I gave her more antacid, oil and probios.The other 3 does are finally chewing there cud and I think they are out of the woods. Clover just was droopy and still not doing well and still a little foamy stuff would come up. Finally at midnight she decided she would eat some apple slices and I gave her one last dose of antacid, probios and banamine and many laps around the barn. I thought she could be doing a little better since she showed interest in the apples and ate a few. This morning she was better and wanted hay and grain. She is walking a little tender on her front feet but when they bloat and go into acidosis this often happens. I am just glad she is doing better.
I have cried many tears over these 4 does.I have felt sick at my stomach and made about a 100 trips to the barn. I feel like I can breath a little.I will never let them have new hay like that again without mixing it better with the other hay I had. Or I will just give them less of the new hay until they adjust. This hay was much denser and greener and I am pretty sure that was what caused the problem. My grain is the same batch I was feeding on and I had not changed that.

This morning I forked out most of the barn cause I knew the rain was coming and I had let the bedding build up because we were so cold this past week. Today its much warmer and smells like spring. I knew the rain would bring out the amonia smell so I hurried up and got it forked and scraped out with the hand shovel and pitch fork. Now its rebeded and smells nice. It started to rain and lucky it was all done. I am going to sit back and take a little mental breather today I feel kinda mentally zapped.

Kristin how's the doe doing this morning? I sure hope she is better.Keep me posted.

Alicia I hope things your way straighten out. Glad hubby is going back to his old job with the insurance. That sure is peace of mind. Hugs to you and take care.

Hey Sherry good to hear from you. Sorry Maudie the cripple cow is not working out for you. You sure gave her the best chance. Most people would have never tried to help her like you did. Your such a sweet and good person.Glad your are scaling back so its not so hard on you I know you struggle so hard with your health. Be good to yourself.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 28 2013 09:24:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile
i am soooo glad to hear your girl are so much better. happy days ahead for you. yes i have the vet coming this week to check maudie. just in case she is bred late. i dont want to butcher her and find a calf. its been very hard selling and butchering so many animals. i know i need to. even money wise i need to keep the best and sell the rest. happy days to you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm so glad you does are all ok now. You are such a good goat momma. I just got a truckload of last summer's hay and it looks pretty green. But I only have 5 bales of the older hay. And they weren't really eating it. It was really fine and light. I swear I have at least 8 bales of hay all spread around on the ground out there where I feed them. They are the most wastefull animals ever.

Sherrye, when would Maude be due if she is bred? Will she be ok?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  2:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
Glad to hear your girls are doing better.
Kristin,
Hope your hay switch goes well! I hate to see all the wasted hay..Green gold we call it around here haha. Any does kidding yet? Hope it all goes well!
Sherry,
Hope it all goes well with Maude.

I was up a few times last night just to check on Sunny, Cinnamon and April. All fine and dandy, chewing their cud and blinking their eyes.

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  3:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Laura I'll look into a clostridium shot for the other girls.
It was soo cold from Christmas until last week, low teens during the day and -15 or colder at night. I think the super cold and then a warm snap (days into the 40's) might have helped trigger something too.
It's been a rough month for everyone, all the critters. We've gotten colder winters before, but not usually for so long.

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  05:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear of all the animal troubles. Hope everyone is doing better now.
We have had our weather ups and downs too. Cold, warm, snow, rain. It sure does go back and forth. Good luck to all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  12:14:00 PM  Show Profile

Some of my gang! They got to enjoy being out for the first time today!

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  12:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Those kids are so big and cute. Compared to yours, my 2 kids look like rabbits.

Are you going to castrate any of the bucks? If you do, what age do you do it? And what method? And do you disbud them yourself?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  4:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Pretty babies Jennifer!
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Crittergranny. And Kris, yes all my boys will be banded. And I also dehorn/disbud and tatoo as we like to show and my daughter shows in 4-H. Usually around 2-3 weeks, depends on the growth of the horn buds.

Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  5:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I should of said Laura! LOL I didnt see your name till after I posted.

Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile

These are Bebe's new twins, born 2-4-13, 5 days early. By Sharif, my Saada buck. Love the ears on these guys.. I told Linda they were my pencil-legged whippersnappers!!! :D

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  3:20:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't think they look like pencil legs they look fine to me. They might be whippersnappers tho.....lol. I really like the doe she reminds me a little of my Luna.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  3:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, they are beautiful! Look at those shiny coats and those ears. I am in love with these guys. Is the one in the top right a doe? It looks like my bad baby Iris Josie without ears.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Adorable!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  03:10:29 AM  Show Profile
Cute Nubians.
My oldest daughter absolutely loves Nubians.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  04:57:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the comments. The dark one is the buck, and Karrie calls him Buck. LOL And the light one is a doe, I named her Creamy..

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page