Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, my goat Abby had something wrong with her eye last year. Like she had a cloud over her pupil. I thought she was going blind. But my friend said she probably got some hay in it and irritated it. I bought this little tiny very expensive tube of Terramycin to put in her eye. I did that for about 4 days and it got better. I was so glad. You just never know what those goats will get into. I hope the new goat is doing good. You think she might kid next month? That would be nice. How is Ginger liking her new friend? And I can't wait to see pictures of that new calf. She sounds beautiful.

All my stinkin' boys are growing like weeds. They are so fun to watch. They follow their mommas all over now. And they all play together like they're best buds. So dang cute. I am going to have to disbud Abby's kid first in the next few days. They are just showing now. I think I will castrate all of them too. At the same time though. I have a friend who will come do it for me for just $4 a piece. I'll pay that. She works for a vet and they do this all the time. She did some of mine last year. But I will do the disbudding. I dreamed all night about it last night. I hope I can do it. As many times as I have watched it done I know I can.

Channah, how are you today? I bet little Ebony is huge already.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  3:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris, Yes she is soo big. I am losing my baby. She is almost up to my nee. She is a month and a half old right now and we are just getting done with worming ( that was intresting to say the least. lol). I am enjoying my goats so much and I truly thank God each day I am able to spend with them. We are learning alot about eachother. :) Hope you are all having a great day with your goats!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  06:35:57 AM  Show Profile
I let Sandy and her babes out this morning. It's supposed to be nice today. She's been in since she had the kids Monday morning. So it's about time I think. But it's been raining and cold so I didn't want the kids to get chilled too soon. They are growing so fast. I think I will disbud tonight. Wish me luck.

I am milking about a gallon in the morning just from 3 does. In the evening not much. They must just be too full for the kids to nurse in the mornings. I'm not using this milk yet. The other animals are loving it though. We don't get any for a week and a half. I had to get a gallon of cow milk again from my friend. I will probably have to get a few more til we get goat milk.

And I need to shave the udders and all around and do some major cleaning in the milk room before I start "real" milking. It's a mess in there right now. With hay and mud and just general winter stuff. I'll take the stanchions out and give them a good soapy scrub. And the floor too. Does anyone else have spring cleaning to do in the milk rooms? I would love to see pictures of others milk rooms or where ever ya'll do the milking. I'll try to get some up too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  08:40:56 AM  Show Profile
good morning to you farmgirls, wanted to say howdy.i have some photos but need someone to help me get them to photobucket. i am learning slowly. she is so dang cute. kris you are right those babies are so fun. easy to forget how cute and fun till they are around again.joyfully jumping sideways and up to say i am alive yipee.my calves are more active that way than angus or other beefers. the dexters are happy cows. i miss annie mae the kid pygmy. she was so bouncy. i sure hope betty poop is preg. she is looking that way. wow that would be so great. she is a registered percentage boer doe. the gal charges 150.00 for stud. i paid 100.00 for her as open. they had left the buck with her for 2 months. expected kids march 1. so sold her open. she still has a month to go before buck months are used up. i have a boer buck coming for a visit with ginger. gingers eye has a black spot on it that is on the pupil. it looks to be coming to the surface. which is what the vet said would happen. the cloud is smaller. i am using the same ointment from the vet.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
went to press preview and posted.lol anyway warm here. yes cleaning barn stalls and milk room today. i must say i miss milking ginger. she is such a sweetie. when i am yacking with the neighbor she hangs with us and just rubs her head on me. love them goats. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:26:09 PM  Show Profile
I cleaned up the milk room. I should have waited later because I shaved and trimmed the goats fur and udders. And trimmed feet. So it was a mess of hair and hoof pieces. Which the dogs just love. So it's cleaned again. But I dragged all the stanchions out and washed them real good. They needed that. And the girls look nice and neat.

I had the iron heating up to disbud the first born buckling after I got the girls milked. I had him in there with his momma. I had everything ready. I tried to do it. I had the iron over the little horn. But I just could not do it. Poor little thing was jsut shaking and I could not do it. So I will have horny stinkin' bucks I guess. I am going to get them castrated though. So I know there will be some happy farmgirls to hear this. I thought about it all night. I just knew I could do it. But I worried for nothing. And he's fine now. Happy as a little stinkin' buck can be.

I am worried a little about the does not letting them nurse enough. I let them in to milk them and they are busting at the seams they are so full of milk. I mean huge. And it's been 2 weeks for Abby and Faith will be 2 weeks Tues. Sadie will be 2 weeks next Sat. Mornings they are really full but the evenings I hardly have to milk them. So I guess they nurse more in the afternoons. They all look nice and healthy and are growing so fast. And I did notice some of them eating grass. I am going to milk and start tasting it now. I will worm one more time then I can start milking in the morning for us and not the critters.

Sherry, is Betty the new Boer doe? I hope she's pregnant too. It's fun having little ones around again. I miss them when they are little but they get to be a pest when they are bigger. Good luck with the pictures.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  3:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
wow!! Sounds like you ladies are busy!!
I spent all this morning from 9:00 to 2:30 out with my goats cleaning the lofts, their 3 pens, scrubbing all of the buckets and pans, brushing them, playing with them, etc. I still need to trim hooves. YAY!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!! How is everyone doing today? So I was just wondering... What does your goat schedule look like? I just thought it would be fun to see what you all do for your goats. :) Here is mine.

1. I milk Sadie every morning.
2. I srcub and clean all my goats water buckets and feeding pans each day.
3. I have started to brush all my goats each day.
4. I trim hooves 2x a month. Sometimes more if needed.
5. I worm them every 6 months.
6. I scrub my milk stand each week. I always wipe it off but I give it a good scrub each week.
7. I clean all 3 pens each day and put fresh new bedding down. :)
8. I get them water each day. :)
9. I feed the girls grain each day too.

I don't think I left anything out. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Is lye a requirement to making soap or are there recipes out there for soap that do not require lye? Would you share yours?

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I have never heard of soap made without lye Penny.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  07:23:31 AM  Show Profile
I make goatmilk soap and I use lye. If you find one that doesn't require it, please let us know.
It is good to be back on. My computer had a terrible virus, and I just now got it back.
I am told after the soap cures for 6 weeks, there is no more lye in it.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  08:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Clover the doe who always has quads finally kidded. She was suppose to take the year off but the new buck Pluto escaped and bred her. I was so nervous because of her past 2 kiddings. She only had twins !!! I was so relieved...one buck and one doe. They are mostly black and they are over 10lbs a piece. I am tired of triplets. I am so excited to finally see just twins. Its a miracle on my farm.
So I don't have to bottle any new ones. I just have one more doe to kid. Her name is Emma Bean and she is 10 yrs old. She was also an unauthorized breeding. I am worried about her because of her age. Keeping my fingers crossed on her. I think she is due about April 17th.

Anyway been up most of the night and need to lay down and try to grab a nap if the goats behave and let me.Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  09:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Linda,

Congrats on the new babies! Glad all went well!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Linda!! What a blessing!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Penny, I think you can buy soap base all ready to melt and pour. That's what it's called, melt and pour. You can add you fragrances and herbs when it's melted. I started making soap and was a bit nervous about the lye. But it's not that bad. Just do it outside or in a well ventilated room. And I believe after 2 weeks there is no trace of lye left in the soap.

Linda, more babies? How many do you have there? I am so glad your doe is ok. And I hope the next one does ok too. I have been milking and straning Abby, Faith and Sadie's milk each morning the last two days now. Abby's kid is 2 1/2 weeks old and Fatih's is 2 weeks and a day. Saidie's kid will be 2 weeks Sat. Faith's milk is good and believe it or not, Sadie's milk is better! I hope it stays that way. I could not drink Sadie's milk last year. It was horrible.

I wormed Faith and Abby again this morning. So in a few days I am moving those 2 and their boys up front and I will put the kids up at night so I can milk in the morning. Then I'll worm Sadie and Sandy and move them up there next week and start milking them. Then there we go!

It's very warm here today. And tomorrow will be in the 80's! I hope to work in the garden later this evening and plant peas, potatoes and onions. Hubby fixed the tiller. I am making bread again right now. 2nd time this week.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SassyCasie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Casie
Canonsburg Pennsylvania
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  1:43:44 PM  Show Profile
I actually live on a family owned and operated dairy farm but we have holstein cows. I recently got a lamancha goat and named her Theresa only I am unsure how old she is exactly, she's due to be bred soon though so my parents said they will be buying me a buck. It's actually funny that I've grown up with cows my whole life and I want to start goats. However I don't think I want very many goats. We have almost 450 holsteins from babies all the way up through but we only milk about 150. My personal cow's name is Daisy. She's my favorite one. She's due to have a calf in early May and I can't wait! I'm also excited to be getting a billy to breed my goat so she can give me some kids.

Sassy Casie
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  2:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Casie, Congrats on being a goat owner. You will be in for an adventure, (in a good way). Goats have lots of personality. People that don't like goats, probably never had one.
Good luck

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
YAY Casie!! That is wonderful!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  8:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cassie. I have 3 Lamancha does. I just love their personalities. All totally different. Do you help with the cow milking? I wish you luck with your cow and hope she has a healthy little heifer calf for you. Will you be milking her or is she part of the big herd?

My friend Faith came over today to bring me some keifer culture!!! I am so excited to get started back making it. So her hubby was with her. They wanted to see all my stinkin' little bucks. And they are going to get Abby's buck to have as their breeding buck! I am so happy for him. He is a pretty boy. We are going to swap for her helping me disbud them all. I'm sorry but I have to do this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  06:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Kristin I have a total of 11 babies so far. I have 6 boys and 5 girls. Its starting to even up.I didn't want Emma to have any babies but I hope she has a girl. She has only had one girl ever. I didn't want her bred to due her age but if she does have a girl I told her she was going to keep it forever.

Sounds like your getting to enjoy some goat milk. I don't know if I will ever get any....lol. I am supplementing 6 twice a day so I guess I will just have to wait.When I finally do I am going to make some Chevre.....thats my favorite cheese.

Casie wecome and soundsl like with that many cows you are a very busy farm. I think you will like you goat as much as your cows. Lamancha goats are very sweet natured. I bet she is a sweetie.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I am so jealous. 6 girls! I would not know what to do. But I am happy for ya. But still jealous. I want to make some chevre too. I have a whole book of cheese recipes. I think I ordered a bunch of different cultures and one of them is for chevre.

I let Kansas taste all the goats milk last night and she did a thumbs up for Faith and Sadie's. Poor Abby got a thumbs down. I hope Sadie's stays good. Maybe if I can keep her in with the rest of the goats. She has not jumped over the fence yet to go out in the field next door. So hopefully I have that problem fixed. They are all up front in the new grass pasture. I planted winter rye in the field garden so they are in there too. I hope there are no onions out there. They love onions.

Ya'll have a good day. I have to wash a car and hang clothes and sheets. And hopefully plant some in the garden!! Hubby's out there right now! He tried yesterday with the small tiller and it was too wet. He got the Troy going and is out there now. So I hope I can get some things planted today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Jane
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Alberta Jane
Canonsburg Pennsylvania
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  11:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I am very busy on the farm with the cows. We have a milking parlor where we milk by machine it's way to many to do by hand. So when my cow has her calf it will continue to be milked in the parlor, but the calf will be put in my pen with my goat. I like having a goat and can't wait to increase my herd size!

Lady Jane
Go to Top of Page

Lady Jane
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Alberta Jane
Canonsburg Pennsylvania
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry. I thought I was on my thing, SassyCasie but really I was on my moms, Lady Jane. I keep trying to logout but it for some reason won't let me so I figured I would just tell you on this name. As soon as it lets me back onto mine I will rewrite it.

Lady Jane
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  05:08:52 AM  Show Profile
You all sound so busy! My herd is not here yet. I hope soon. The breeder is still holdin the youngsters to bottle feed.So my other doe is just staying as well. The breeder I am working with just had two more bucks, so I hope to pick one of them as my herd buck.
I will be ordering 50 meat chicks this week and then 50-100 for july. We share them with friends, one raises on batch one raises the other, we butcher together and split the meat!
I am also just getting into real estate, so am busy there.
I have a question... How far apart do you keep your lines [breeding]? I will be getting registered Nigerian Dwarfs? So does the registery have guidlines? Can someone help me with this?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:14:55 AM  Show Profile
It's raining here. That means I have to give the goats hay. I have only 5 bales left. It's been really nice here with lots of new grass and bushes with new leaves. So they have been in the yard and out back in the bushes. It's alot harder with 10 goats now. The 6 kids are all over the place. Hard to keep them all together. And they want to jump up on my cold frame on the glass. I have to come up with all kinds of ways to keep them awat from it. Plus the apple trees are in bloom and getting nice juicy leaves. So I have to be in the yard when they are in it. Or we won't have any apples this year. And they always go straight to my 2 poor little clematis vines and eat them to the ground. So I have to cover them too. There is just too much for a goat to get into ina yard.

My friend came over a few days ago and we disbudded 5 of them kids. The one she wants, Abby's black kid, she couldn't do because they were too big already. We are trading him for her doing the disbudding. She did a good job. I hope they don't come back. But we caught them at the right size.

I am milking now in the mornings. I put the kids up in a stall and in the morning these does are so full. Faith is so big I have to milk one side at a time. But so far only Sandy the Nubian's milk is any good. I put each goats milk in a jar and taste it when it's cold. And there is still a taste to it. And Sandy was the last to kid. And again they are all eating the same stuff. So I will keep testing it.

Angie, I do not know the answer to your question. I hope others do. I think I might get some meat birds again. I think they will stay up front in the old hen house area. I should not have to clip wings to keep them from flying over right? They get big pretty quick. How's the housing market in Indiana now?

How are all the little kids? I bet they are all growing like weeds.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page