Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile
farmgirls and lady jane, here is a question... if i want full production out of an udder. i want goat or cow to do her best with no harm on her.... what is the plan? i have share calved now 1 cow. calf got the cream and volume. not a good milk cow to begin with. i oxytocined her in early lactation since no milk. she let down 1 1/2 gal. last time i saw that.lol SO to build bag size and quanity. is it no calf and what about feed? when is udder size determined? 2 weeks 2months ?? i am fulfilling a lifelong dream now. i am milking. my dexter will freshen maybe end april end may? just brought her in. still may need help to training a pasture cow to milk. help farmgirls lol sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile
My last doe had her babies on Monday! Yea! 1 doeling & 1 buckling. Both are dong well. I can't wait to have more milk. The yogurt I made was a hit! My husband takes it to work for his lunch.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:57:33 AM  Show Profile
thats great Karla. i am hoping for the same mix. i have a long wait. the buck just got here.lol happy days on the farm for you sherrye welcome to the forum. you will love it here and be loved here

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  09:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Karla, you made yogurt with the goat milk? Do you have an easy recipe? I have a yogurt maker. I would love to try making it again but last time it was really thin. I like a thick yogurt.

Sherrye, I would think taking the calf off the cow would increase production alot. Plus increase the % of the feed too. Also might have to give more feed. And I would also think udder size would be apparent at or before birth? I am not a cow person but with goats that's about the way they are. Whatever they are at birth they pretty much stay that way until about the time they are dried off. I don't know. Maybe some of the cow milkers will know. How many cows are you milking right now?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:19:33 AM  Show Profile
hi all, in a first calf heifer i thought i read somewhere..to be sure and feed her up and milk two or three times a day during some point of first lactation. it is thought to help bag size develop.right now only buttercup. mini jersey. totally did wrong. was not ready since palpitating said no baby.surprise calf in field... ok.. teach rogue pasture cow to milk..lol some on here remember that fiasco. so now calf weaned i was getting half gallon.. now 1 quart. she is 8 months into lactation and bred back.calf due through ai oct. 2 so will dry off in july. maddie is my new rogue white park dexter cross cow. she will calve in the next 55 days. so will go in training as soon as the squeeze chute can be put in the coral. she needs touching halter and love. so i am pulling the calf. i want ALL I CAN GET AND MORE lol i will bucket feed my calves. what do you all do for production? what percent protein? i use alfalfa blk sunflower oat barley molasses epsom salts in her milking barn. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:25:12 AM  Show Profile
I did the crock pot recipe that someone gave me on my yogurt question. It was a little thin but I thickened it with sugar free jello as my husband is diabetic. I came out thicker then. Don't mix it full strength but only a small amount of hot water.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful Karla!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Kris the housing market is truly showing some great signs! It is so exciting to see it getting better.
You will not have to clip meat chickens wings, they get huge fast and they are lazy due to their size. Enjoy The meat I love our meat chickens.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  5:57:53 PM  Show Profile
I am guessing no body knows my answer, I was talking with the owner/breeder of the farm I am getting the babies from. She does say all her bucklins would be too close;y related to my three girls so I will pray her last one to deliver has a buck; In late April, Who is not closley related nor was the buck to any of my girls. So I will go withthat and look up my answer some where else. But thanks anyway.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  7:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Angie, when you say lines (as in breeding) do you mean like mother-son, father-daughter? I am not sure if I read it right. I have bred does with their sons because that's all I had at the time. I would never breed brother to sister. But have heard breeding father to daughter. Anyway, wasn't sure what you meant. Sorry. Next time I breed I will be looking for an older buck that has proven he's had lots of doe kids. I always use very yound bucks too. I guess I should be looking now. But really don't want to keep a buck here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  7:36:59 PM  Show Profile
I am not keen on keeping a buck. But nobody around here will stud a buck with good lines. So this is now a must. My question was how far removed would/should mothers, fathers be from their own daughters/sons. I will not have any two from the exact same parents. But when I bring the goats home hopefully the one doe will be prego from another line when I pick her up. So I hope to have 4-5 does to my one buck to start. So do any of you sell on buck, keep some of his daughters and get a new buck[we did with cows]? Do ya all just keep several bucks to keep the lines good? What are some good breeding policies?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:08:18 PM  Show Profile
I am attempting to send pictures but it's hard to figure out!

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I guess I will have to learn how to shrink it! That is my new little buck! Now to figure out the doe! Here goes!

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:14:01 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try again!

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies I can't seem to get it to send the little doeling. She looks almost like him except more white on her side!
The size change didn't work either?

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:26:29 PM  Show Profile
one more time!

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Karla!

The one that came through is cute, Cute, CUTE!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Yeah all my babies this year were black & white! That's probably cause my buck is black & white! But then I think he's cute too!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  7:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Karla, he's adorable. I got 2 cute little Nubian bucks this year. I love them. But they are the most skittish of them all. The 4 Lamanchas are my buddies. They all come running but those 2 run the other way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  8:37:19 PM  Show Profile
well i cant see the babies but congratulations. i agree about those cute nubians. i have my ones i gave away here to breed. they are still rambunksous however you spell it.pushy and yes they run where they want not with me. all these extra goats are here for a month and then home. too much for me. there is 7 right now. happy days on the farm sherrrye hope its not too late for the nubians and the alpine boer cross. i know my boer and lamancha were covered. so hopefully it worked.

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  7:59:26 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I have really separated the does from the kids. Well, except Sandy the Nubian. She just absolutely freaks out if she doesn't see her kids. She won't even eat her grain in the stanchion. I was going to separate her too but I'd have to listen to her and her boys crying all night. And hers sound exactly like they are shouting "Maaa! Maaa!" And she says "What? What?" It's really funny but very annoying too. I have the kids up front and the does out back. So I can milk in the morning. What a mess.

I have been milking in the morning the past few weeks. And I keep each does milk separate and get it cold really fast. Then I do the taste test. And every day it's different. But today Sadie's milk was so good. I don't know how long that will last. But it's been horrible. All of them has had bad milk so far except Sandy but hers was not so good today. I don't know. It didn't seem like it took this long last year.

And also tinight I noticed on Faith she has a lump right at the base of her teat right where I have to squeeze. A little round lump. I hope it goes away. But when I put her kids up for the night to milk her in the morning, she is HUGE! I mean cow udder huge. I have to milk one side at a time becuase they won't go in the bucket. And it takes about 20 minutes to do it. And I am pooped. So I wonder what has caused the lump. Does anyone know?

Karla, what happened to the cute pictures?

Sherrye, how's the goat business?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  05:47:24 AM  Show Profile
Something is wrong with Sadie's buckling. His front legs are so bowed and when he walks his shoulders splay out. Even his back legs are bowed. I think he may need selinium. So I am going to the vet while I'm out today and get some for him. It's pitiful to see him walking. I hope this will help. And then Sadie wouldm\n't let him nurse so I tried to hold her still and she moved all over. I hope he gets some.

And this morning when I brough the 3 does in to milk, poor Faith was gushing milk. I just put the bucket under her and got about an inch while I milked Abby. I need a milk machine for her! I can't get my hands all the way around so I just get a tiny bit at a time.

I hope everyone has a great day on the farms.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile
so sorry to hear about sadies kid kris. i was shopping yesterday for boers. there was a kid there with bowed legs. julie thought it was from the doe short on selenium and calcium while in womb. mother doe was too young to breed. i hope he pulls out of it.cocoa was bowed legged my calf when born. they did fix themselves.vet said it was from a tight fit in womg. you sound like you are a busy girl. today i am putting maddie (new to me dexter) in squeeze chute and brush her. picking up 2 does with kids boer for eriks place. meat goats. then i will scoop the poop.lol happy days on the farm sherrye i love the work as a passion

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile
i THINK SOMEONE DELETED THEM?!? i KNOW THAT i HAD TRIED TOOOO MANY TIMES BUT i COULD NOT GET THE 2ND ONE TO COME UP. tHEY ARE GROWING ALREADY BUT THEY ARE SOOOO CUTE WHEN THEY ARE TINY! ooooooPS CAPS!

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  11:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Well my Toggenburg doe, Tara, kidded yesterday. Guess what Kris, another stinking buck!! LOL!! She only had the one and he is HUGE but so cute! He also has the daddy Nubian's floppy ears and I think he might be naturally polled like his mom, we will see. I had moved Tara into another pen because she had bagged up yesterday morning and was licking one of the other babies until he was sopping wet! His mom had finally had enough (she is the one with the horns) and I was afraid she was going to hurt Tara. I went back out a couple of hours later to check on her and there he was, already dry and nursing! I told Tara "Look, now you have your own baby butt to lick!" She was a happy goat! LOL!!

Kris, hope you get the little buckling all fixed up!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page