Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  05:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. I'm going to town today so I'll pick some up. I guess the wider the better? I had thought about putting like a cloth bag over their udders and tying it at the top. Wonder if that would work?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2012/07/udderly-rediculous.html

Ok, so I got some tape yesterday and am trying this today. You can read about it and see pictures on my blog. Totally funny!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  08:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I'll have to get a picture of what I do for ya - uses much less tape and had been quite effective for me! That does look hilarious though!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  08:21:39 AM  Show Profile
Ok, here's how I tape my girl - just the teat with two pieces each.

I would be concerned that the tape around the udder would somehow restrict the udder from expanding as it fills, but maybe not.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  10:27:22 AM  Show Profile
I had thought about that too. It'll probably come off as big as they both get/ I saw Iris try to nurse but gave up so hopefully this will work as far as weaning them both. I'll try the way you do yours tomorrow. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, those stinkin' little goat kids had one of the tapes off each momma. So I went ahead and did them like you have in the picture, Lindsey. I think it's gonna be hard for me to get them off though. You did such a good job. Your goats must stand really still while you put that on. Mine a kincking and screaming! Silly goats.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I can't believe they got it off! Persistent little things, aren't they? Mine just go to get a drink, see the tape, and walk sadly away.

It sure helps that I do it while she's on the milkstand, usually chowing down on her breakfast or dinner ... ;)

Also, I read the comments on your blog post and wanted to say that Eclair never seems to complain about it being taken off, so I don't think it sticks too much to the hairs.

Edited by - .Linz. on Jul 31 2012 1:43:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  06:53:00 AM  Show Profile
so a few days have gone by and i am wondering how this worked. do they make weaning rings for goats. we use them here for calves. as the ring gets used it is not as strong. i have calves that can get them off. that same calf would eat that tape. so wondering if it stayed on the girls?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  08:06:28 AM  Show Profile
It's still working for me - only once have they managed to get it off one teat, so now we're adding an extra piece of tape around the top to secure it better. :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I was wondering about that as well. I will check Hoegger goat supply to see if they make a goat weaning ring. I did use the tape like Lindsey had hers on Sandy yesterday and it was all still on last night when I went to milk her. I had her out front with the sheep but 2 times she got into the garden! So I had to put her back with the littles out back. So taped her up and it worked! I just cut 2 pieces of tape and made an X and stuck them on each teat. Worked like a charm!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  07:11:59 AM  Show Profile
i thought i would revive this thread. i am still curious about the weaning and the udders. my kids are 7 weeks. i am weening now. i am going to get a chow for them. any suggestions on a good pellet grower. i know i am early. i am TIRED. late nights early mornings fast days. we have been helping some folks in tumalo. it has been hard to find time to eat and sleep. i am going to ask hazels owner to take her. it is too hard doing 3 cows on my own. washing equipment and feed and milking itself day is gone. so then i decided to sell my cows. just some of my dexter/white park herd. so possibly 4 . 2 are calves a year old and 2 are bred heifers. most are A-2 A-2. hay prices will shut us down with cows. so goats go except betty and ginger. then cows go except the jersey girls. this will be a big temporary change. we plan on redoing the milk area. then we have maudie going to calve in dec. so i still will have a cow freshening. the big new change is i am shopping for a dead broke horse or mule. i went and looked at one yesterday. it walked away from me. so nope not that one. it will be fun looking i have put some thought into it. some of you remember i had my sisters arab here last year. i think i want a short one. i am hoping to ride to pasture. the walking is way too much these days. so any suggestions would be so appreciated. i know some of you girls are true horse woman. happy days to you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  07:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Well the weaning with the tape is still working well for me - I haven't seen the girls even try to nurse in awhile. Eclair's production did drop after we started taping her off full time, after talking with others I've decided it's just from stress of weaning, even though she's not been separated from them. I ordered some Thorvin kelp with the feed order this time so that's coming tomorrow, I'm interested in seeing if it works to bring production back up. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it.

Sherry, have the kids been eating any grain/chow at all? I'm sorry I can't recommend anything specific as we just give all the girls the same basic grain mix which we get from the mill, they just get different amounts and different supplements according to their nutritional needs, which we just top-dress the grain with.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  5:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. I was just wondering about you. I see now why you haven't been here in a long time. We have so much hay here, with all the rain we've had, it's good. I don't see a problem with getting any here and I don't see it going too high.I have 85 bales right now but would like to have at least that many more for winter. We have had so much rain the animals can't keep the grass down and I have to get the pastures mowed. I am NOT complaining at all. It's just that they can't eat it all fast enough and I don't have enough animals to eat it.

I feed my kids and dry does and bucks a pellet feed mixed with sunflower seeds and alfalfa pellets. I just switched to a beef builder pellet which is only $7/50 lbs. My little does need some growth on them and I am getting ready to breed Zarah and Penelope in a few weeks.

I am down to just one little piece of tape now! The does hate it but they are doing good and I am getting milk and they get to stay with the rest of the herd. But Abby gets so mad when I go to put new tape on after milking. She kichs and rears and just plain ole gets mad! I think she must think it's degrading and silly or something. But has to be done. Those kids were born in March. I think they are old enough now to not be nursing, the little buggars.

So I made a little pallet shed for the ram boys in the front pasture. They are in the back yard with John Henry the buck right now. I need to let the pasture rest a few more weeks then I'll move the rams up there and put Zarah and Penelope in with John Henry til the middle of October.Then he will go to a farm over the ridge to breed 6 other does. Then I don't know what I'll do with him.

Tomorrow at Tractor Supply they are having Trade Day. I am so excited! I hope to find a Boer buck for Sandy this year. She has so many buck kids, we might as well have a meatier kid and just butcher it. Or sell it for meat. I hope I can find a nice one for not too much money. And I need more laying hens too. I think I only have 32. My little young Barred Rock girls are starting to lay now. A very dark almost red egg. So pretty with the lighter Buff eggs and the green Americana eggs.

Y'all have a great weekend!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  04:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Morning everyone. You all are so busy, with gardens, animals. Lots to do here as well. The garden is producing pretty good. Apples are about ripe, elderberries in ripe. Sometimes I dont' know which way to turn first! Making some cheese curds this morning. Just added rennet. I have the calf on my cow yet, during the day. She is old enough now to wean. I just kind of like the once a day milking, and not having to deal with alot of extra milk. Though the 3 pigs would enjoy more too. We have plenty of hay, but will have to start feeding. We have had a dry period now, and the pasture is about done. All summer we had great rains, so I guess it is our turn. I was hoping to ship some cows this year, but with the prices dropping so much, may hold on to them.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile
I am kind of upset. I started noticing Sandy didn't want to eat her feed. There was a lot left in the tray on the stanchion. Then last night I didn't even milk her because she hardly had any. I did milk Abby but didn't get much. Then this mornng Abby wouldn't even go in the milk room at all. I checked the feed and there are pellets all in it. I am supposed to be getting 16% ALL GRAIN and there are pellets in this grain. Sandy HATES pellets. Won't eat them at all. Not even alfalfa pellets. She shoves them around and that's all that's left. Abby will eat alfalfa pellets all day though.

So I took a little coffee can full of the feed to the feed store today. I asked if we could open up a bag of 16$ all grain and see if it has pellets in it. It's not supposed to have them. It's ALL GRAIN. Only grain. Well, the first bag he opened was ll grain. The 2nd bag had pellets. It comes from a lilling plant in Alabama, Tucker Milling. This is not the first time someone has complained about their feed. Not only is it going way up in price, but the quality is going way down. I don't think I will be buying any more feed from them. Or the feed store either if they can't provide good decent feed for the animals at the prices we have to pay.

I guess I'll have to just buy grains myself and mix them up. If I do that, I will not buy corn. That looks like the way I'll have to go from now on. It makes me mad though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  6:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Kris, sorry that the feed's all messed up! That has to be frustrating. Funnily enough, Eclair HATES her pellets mixed with her grain... she has to eat them separate. What a brat! She sure is a Queenie. :)

If you are going to mix your own feed, here's a good link with some different recipes: http://www.landofhavilahfarm.com/loh-feed-regimen.htm Are you thinking of trying to sprout the grains then, too?

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  6:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey, I looked at that site and it looks like a lot of work. I don't think I want to do sprouts and all that. I have too many goats and I work hard enough for them already! Thank you and I will keep it for reference on good goat feed.

Sandy is much better and is eating good again. I moved the bucks up front this morning. I think that might have been part of the problem. She had a little bit of runny poop yesterday so I went ahead and gave her Cydectin and a shot of Thiamin and a lot of kaopectate for 2 days. And now she's eating again. Silly goats, they are eating the pelleted feed that I have been giving the littles and the bucks. So what I think I will do is just get some wheat, oats, maybe 12 way scratch, sunflower seeds and alfalfa pellets along with the beef builder pellets and mix it all up for them. It will cost a fortune but should last a long time. I want to get away from the soy and lecithin and all that other unwanted stuff they put in the feed, like corn.

So alot going on here these days. The new doe is getting along great with the others so far. I milked her tonight and got about 2 1/2 cups. She's never been milked before and she's a kicker! I had to hold her leg and milk with one hand. But I think she'll be a good milk goat with a little patience and time. Her mother was the best. So I might just try to buy her back from my friend. he will never milk her and it's a shame to waste a good milk goat.

And I am in love with my new little buck. He's so cute and sweet. He and John Henry are getting along great too. They will both be busy soon enough!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  04:02:59 AM  Show Profile
Hope your goats are all doing well Kris. Soy and corn does add protein to feed. so make sure they are getting enough protein in their diet.
It sure sounds alot easier to milk a kicking goat then a kicking cow! Good luck with her.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Field peas are a great alternative to soy for protein. :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  09:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Adabelle did a lot better this morning. Got about the same amount too. I hope she starts producing more though. Kind of m=not worth milking a goat for just a quart a day. Michele, I guess that would be a little bit scary. That's why I have goats!

Lindsey, I'll check into the legumes, like peas and things. I think the 12 way scratch has some in it. Or maybe the 15 way does. I'm going to town in a little bit.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  6:29:16 PM  Show Profile
I went to the feed store this morning. I got 50 lb bags of cracked corn, whole oats,pearled barley,cottonseed meal,wheat. I already had alfalfa pellets and sunflower seeds and the rest of the 16% all grain. I only put about 1/4 of the barley and cottonseed meal per barrel. I got almost 2 barrels. I can hardly breathe right now from all the dust and goat hair. Ugh! I think I am allergic to goats. Or goat feed. I gave them the feed tonight and Abby ate every bit of hers. Sandy ate most of heres. Adabelle is a buggar and only ate half because she thinks it's horrible to be milked. I got a pint tonight. It wears me out getting that. I guess I should wait til she's almost done eating to start milking her.

And I don't know why in the world I have 2 stickin' bucks! Why do goats NOT want to stay where I want them to stay? Those 2 bucks were in the garden that divides the chicken lot and the ram and buck pasture. Yesterday Jonh Henry was in the chicken side. And Lil Red acts like he's about to die every time he sees or hears me. He's about the biggest baby ever. And my sheep always stay where I want them to stay. The 3 rams are as happy as can be up front in their pasture. No problems from those 3. Just the darn goats. And the ewes are happy in their pasture. It's always the goats. SOmetimes I wonder why I have goats at all. I think I would be a nicer, calmer, peaceful person. I wouldn't cuss at all if I only had sheep. Goats make me say things I shouldn't. They are just that way.

So I hope this new feed will boost the milk production back up.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  04:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Had one of those days Kris? We all get them. It will be better tomorrow. Time will settle everyone down. You should be set for a while with your feed mixing.
Sorry but I think, why are you complaining about a kicky goat. You should of tried to milk my cow for the 4 months she kicked ha ha. Only teasing ya. She did turn into the perfect cow, it just took a while. Your goat will get better too. Bad words don't hurt the critters, and it is a way to feel a little better??? At least get rid of some frustration. :) Been there done that!
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  08:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Kris, have you considered hobbling her until she settles down a bit and gets used to the routine? It's not something I'm quick to recommend but sometimes it really helps. You know how perceptive animals are - she might be picking up on your frustration and reacting to it. :)

Boy, last night I found out first hand just how much harder a goat's head is than mine. I was feeding Eclair her alfalfa pellets and so was stooped down slightly, and Charlotte, one of my little girls, came over and jumped to try to reach in and sneak a mouthful of pellets from the bowl. She missed the bowl but got me square on my forehead - ouch!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2012 :  08:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I had one of the best mornings in a LONG time! I had put the 4 young does in the back pasture and the 3 milk does in the back yard. Why have I not done this sooner??? It was amazing and quiet and so much nicer. I did not say one single bad word! ANd it's so nice and peaceful.

I went ahead and fed the rams and bucks and hens first. Then the ewes and meat chicks next. Then milked Abby and Sandy and fed the little does. Then milked Adabelle last. She is a little droopy today. Being in a new place and new feed and actually having to be milked and all. So I gave her some Kaopectate this morning. I hope she'll be ok. She didn't kick this morning and I was able tomilk with both hands! SO maybe she'll settle down and get into the routine of milking. AND I do not have to tape the teats anymore!! Abby and Sandy are SO happy about that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Linz hope your head is not hurting too much! ouch
Kris glad you had a good day there.
Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page