Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5251 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5251 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile
AWWWWWWWWW I love the pics of your sheep, frugal table!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile
hey there farmgirls, i am so missing you all yipee papa is working. it will be about 3 months. so chores are all mine now. WOW we now have 3 sows and a boar, plus woody and 4 butcher pigs. so with the milkers and all the rest i have had little time. so when i get a moment i will share what we have learned as we go farming. LOL linda michele whats going on with you guys. i know we all miss kris. she would have the answer about wormers for sure. happy days to you all. connie, i love killarney on mcclouds daughters

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  9:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Had to pass this on, my goats experienced there first rain today( a sprinkle really) and you would have thought someone was trying to kill them they ran in there house then came out screaming. On seeing me they hooked there hooves over the fence begging me to save them from this fate worse than death. I had such a laugh, wait until they see snow!

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  04:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Pam your poor goats! It has to be scarey for them, stuff falling from the sky!
I did find a wormer recipe. 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 1 Tablespoon molasses, and 1-2 Tablespoon of water. Adding enough water to be able to push the mixture through a syringe into the back of their mouth. This is enough for 1 sheep. MJF issue, Oct Nov 2011, www.skylinesfarm.com I am going to give this a try.

michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  06:11:24 AM  Show Profile
thanks michelle, it sounds like it might work. today will be our first HOT day this year with other days to follow so i will do chores early. we are doing good here i am soooo tired for sure remind me next time how hard jerseys freshen. we have been on a ketosis roller coaster i prefer the beef jersey crosses. less milking and health issues. she is better now. i am glad it is only one cow newly fresh. so milking 3 cows is HARD for sure. i think i will breed penny next month. then belle after that. it is just so easy right now with those two. they have been fresh now almost a year. penny is still giving 3 gallons and belle 2 gallons. when hazel goes on line we will have lots of milk again for awhile well gotta milk. any one else still milking a cow or goat we kidded 6 kids this week. 4 boys and 2 girls sold 2 boys for when weaned. i love the joy and excitement the little kids have. we put the spools in for them to jump on. they are just getting the idea. most are 4 days old. fun here for sure.well hoping you have happy days too

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  2:08:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
Our area has a abnormally HIGH amount of horseflies!! Can't stress enough of the HIGH!
OUr 4 bred jersey heifers are going crazy with the things. Just phoned the vet & was told to use a liquid called "SILENCE". You pour a small amount on the back. He uses it on beef cattle all the time but is still looking into dairy cattle.
Has any one used Silence before? What do you use? Any help!!! Since they're only a month preg we're concerned they'll slip a calf if they cant get some relief! They're VERY VERY special Mommas & babies!
Thanks for your time. Any help or suggestions will really be appreciated!
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  2:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judy,
Wow...I can't imagine. I am so curious about the things so many of you experience in farm life. I looked up horse flies and did find an interesting site with lots of info and tips on horse flies. Perhaps there will be a few tips you do not already know about. There were many recipes on this website for the problem. It is fascinating and no doubt a huge problem. Controlling the Horse and Deer Fly go to http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/horseflies.htm
Best to you.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  6:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Annete,
I'll check the site out. We used to use "away" on our beef cattle in the show rings but the company has gone under.
Any other info greatly needed for horsefly problem
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  05:35:09 AM  Show Profile
I just use a fly spray, so not much help here.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  05:50:16 AM  Show Profile
we use a commercial product. i think it is called eprinex. safe for lactating cows. it is a pour on. it lasts about 10 days. ours get attacked on the milk vein a lot.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies for the help!
The horseflies are CRAZY this year! We used "silence", a pour on that lasts 60 days this morning. Hopefully that will give some relief.
Smiles Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  12:31:23 PM  Show Profile
I'd recommend getting a fecal done before doing anything, that way you know what kind of parasite you're dealing with, (if any) and you can give the correct type of wormer. If you choose to go with a natural/herbal wormer, regular fecals to make sure it's working are super-important - I learned that the hard way with my goats and I'm dealing with a nasty load of strongyles at the moment. I like the idea of natural/herbal wormers, so when fecals come back clear on my girls I'll switch back to that, but I'm definitely going to be sure to do fecals regularly (every 6 months, until I learn to do my own then I can do them whenever) to make sure it's doing the job.

quote:
Originally posted by ponypower

Hi Ladies,..I have a question. I am looking for a wormer for my two four year old Barbadoes sheep that I can administer perhaps as a crumble. I have been remiss in worming them in the last year as I have had a baby and gotten caught up thereof. Ideally I am hoping I can find something that I can worm them with regularly and safely with said baby on my back. It would be so great if I could feed it to them instead of having to try and catch them right now. Flying hooves and babies don't mix! lol! Any ideas??? Thank you SOOO much!!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  10:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Ladies. I am going to take both the recipe for herbal wormer and the advice to do fecals and spring into action. Now,..I wonder if I can figure out how to get them to eat it instead of trying to administer it,.. I am also going to try mixing in some diatamaceous(sp?) earth in their selenium salt as suggested on the skyline farm website. Thanks again,..and my sheepies Hazel and Finny thank you too!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  6:50:36 PM  Show Profile
well i am going to wake up the cow sheep goat dairy thread LOL hazel calved about 4 weeks ago. i have been running busy. she had ketosis and scared us silly. she also had a quarter with the mastitus. so battling it hard right now. i am using synergy products. i like their herb formulas. it is a golden seal echinacea. blend for the teat and udder. we have 6 kids on the ground. 2 does and 4 bucks. cute as can be. all are sold but two. i sold two does also. now i am training our new boar pig. he is a duroc and is 6 months old. he is going to learn to walk on a lead and play nice. we now have 3 sows and one full size boar. i am hoping sweet pea is bred as of the 24th. we also A.I. belle to a jersy reg. from denmark. it is sexed heifer A-2 seman. so far it looks like it took penny spent the weekend with a white park bull across the road. so we are sure she is bred now too. maudie we thought was bred. papitation said she was. neighbor saw the steer riding her. so we will draw blood and send it in to bio-pryn. see if she slipped her calf. she is so fat now. some of you girls know her as my knock kneed rescue jersey. so crazy days here. missing all you farmgirls. wondering how the horse folks are doing? how the gardens are doing? mostly how the heck are you all. i know i have been so busy and away from here for a while. so wanted to say howdy. happy days to you all sherrrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Weel hey there Sherrye. You have been busy out there with all those animals. It all sounds good. I wish you luck with the boar.Be careful though. ANd good luck with all the breeding of cows too! My cow Mazie that I sold last year had a little brown bull calf last week. That's 2 bull calves in a row for her. She has had no trouble at all with either one of them.

I have been having a hard time with worms in my sheep this summer. I had taken my 3 ram lambs to a friend's place to mow down he garden. They have been there 3 weeks today and it's almost down to the ground. But Abraham, the black ram, had bottle jaw real bad. I started giving him wormers on Monday and then again on Tuesday. I went ahead and brought him home then. The other 2 are still there and they are fine. As far as I know anyway. So gave him penicillan and electrolytes and all kinds of stuff. I called the vet this morning and he said no more worm meds.They should all be dead by now. But I need to do a fecal in 2 weeks. Also give him B complex shots. And something called Red Cell. Gotta go get that tomorrow. He seems to be doing better today.

And almost lost Zarah and Penelope to Thiamine defieciency about a month ago. They were both laying on the ground screaming like they were dieing. I thought it was all kinds of things. Shot them full of everything. Even took Penelope to the vet who didn't know what was wrong with her. I don't think I'll be taking goats back to her again. Then a few days later talked to the other vet and told him the symptoms and he said right away it was Thiamine deficiency. Gave them shots for a few days and they were fine with the first one. Like nothing was ever wrong.

And these gardens have been keeping me busy. I just got done with mowing and tilling in both gardens and planting beans, peas, beets, squash, zucchini and cucumbers. I'll start fall planting soon too. It's been a wierd crazy garden season so far. No squash or zucchini to speak of. Hardly any beans. I've always had good luck with beans. Not this year. So starting over again. We'll see soon.

I hope everyone is having a great summer and having fun with all their animals. I have lots of pictures on my blog if y'all want to go check it out. I just got 50 Freedom Ranger chicks today from Pa. They sent one extra just in case. But these guys are pretty healthy so far. And no antibiotics or medicated feed for them at all. Raising them as natural as possible.

I hope to hear from all my sheep and goat and cow friends soon! I've missed everyone.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  9:57:38 PM  Show Profile
YIPEE YIPEE OH HAPPY DAYS HERE. SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU BACK KRIS. hoping to hear from all the girls too. we have some new farmgirls here too kris. well gotta sleep

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  5:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Kris,it's good to see you back here,been wondering where you were,I haven't been doing much but haunting this thread lately,glad your does all came through alright and that you got the right diagnosis on thier troubles in time,sometimes it takes alot of head scratching,good guesses and some hit and miss vetting to find the right cure and sometimes it takes just talking to the right person at the right time,glad everything turned out well.
Sherrye it sounds like you're awful busy with all your critters,I hope all turns out well with the mastitis.
Well,I guess now is a good time to tell you all that I sold all my Nubian does,I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it but I'm going into my seventh month of pregnancy and was having some troubles so I gave up my does and sold them to a real nice lady who runs an organic farm in Kiowa,it sure was hard seeing them go,especially my Ginnie but they have a great home in a pasture based operation,the lady makes Cajeta to sell at the Farmers Market so I feel good about it but I do miss them terribly,I'm trying not to well up with tears just typing this.
I figured I had alot of irons in the fire and figure since I'm due in early November I would minimize my Winter chores when I have a newborn to take care of.
We did keep my Daughter's pet Nigerian Dwarf Wilson,he's such a good little guy and one of the little Nubian bucks until we find another small whether to go with Wilson as a pet and then I'll sell little buck sometime during breeding season.
Things are sure changing around here,I'm not training any colts right now but am still giving a few beginning Dressage lessons and coaching a long time client of mine in doing some dressage and jumping with her off the track adopted thoroughbred and that's doing well,I'm real proud of those two,they have come a long way,the horse was a real hothouse flower and she was a timid rider but they are now two peas in a pod.
It's never been so quiet around here with only two horses in our corral and no does screaming at me in the morning to be milked but it's nice to just kick back and get big and anticipate our baby,been twelve years since I've been down this road.
Well,I have gone on long enough,I hope all you ladies are well and that you'r farms are thriving,I hope you don't mind a doeless gal hanging around the dairy thread,I plan to get back into dairy goats soon,just taking a break.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  5:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathryn. I didn't know you were pregnant. Do you know what it is yet? I think I could probably sell Sandy's doe kid. She is the loudest biggest 4 month old baby I have ever had. I really don't like her at all. SHe is such a Nubian. I thought I would like a few more Nubians, but NO thank you! I just don't have the personality for them. I like nice quiet Lamancha's. I bet it is SO quiet at you place now.

Hi Sherrye. I hope you got a good night's rest. So glad all is well with you and your farm critters.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  6:48:16 PM  Show Profile
That is so funny Kris. My Nubians are very laid back. Everyone says how noisy they are: I can never even tell when mine are in heat. I love their Roman noses & the unpredictability of what the offspring will look like.
So glad to see you back.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris!
I do like the Nubian's rich milk but I think when I get back into goats I'm going to go back to raising Alpines or maybe try some Saanens if I can find them around here,my Nubians have all been loud,high strung and hell to train on the milking stand,I don't like to put down any particular breed or judge them as a whole but I don't think we have very compatible personalities whereas the Alpines just did real well for me so I understand!
I would sell off that little doe too,I really can't stand the screamers,I got rid of my bottle kid because I hated being screamed at and jumped on all the time,I think that's the last bottle feeding I do!
We got an ultrasound last week and found out baby was a boy,I wasn't sure about finding out ahead of time but my Husband wanted to know so I had them tell him so I would have more time to make up my mind,finally I just felt ready to know and he told me,it was alot sweeter to hear it from my Husband than the ultrasound technician.
It's been a big surprise,we lost our last baby and it's been a real long time since so I got to thinking for several years now that we wouldn't have any more and then nature got the drop on us,I guess we were just on hold for awhile!
We're excited though,my Husband said it will be nice to have a boy around here,he's currently outnumbered by females :)

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  10:15:29 PM  Show Profile
oh kathryn, happy days for you. what a story. now we will need all your details. a boy how wonderful. i raised four. two were here tonight with all the grands. i am so happy for you. well i have a baby chick story to tell you all. but now i need to sleep. grands and kids just left.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  04:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Everyone has been having a busy summer! Glad things are going well, and problems have been taking care of.
Waiting on weather to do some more haying here. (raining right now)We have been lucky to have been getting rain on a regular basis all summer. The bees have been enjoying the blooming clover, since it has been raining on and off. Animals are all doing good here. Kathryn congrats on the upcoming baby! My Connie is milking and got 3 pigs to use up some of the milk. I am milking once a day, and I separate her calf at night. Working well right now.
take care
michele
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  1:33:30 PM  Show Profile
We're going to start weaning the kids tomorrow... boy I hope it goes well. Currently we're only milking in the morning, for awhile now, instead of separating we've been taping off Eclair's teats with first aid tape and the girls can't get it off (they really don't even try) so we're going to try just taping her off after morning milking and leaving everyone together. I'm sure they'll fuss for awhile but I still think it'll be less stress on everyone than separating them for 5 weeks, esp. since I have no place to put them except in the kidding stall and I hate to keep them inside for that long! I'm really anxious to see what Eclair's production really is.

I had a scare this past Wednesday - woke up and Eclair was starting to scour, within three hours it had gotten pretty bad and messy - called the vet and he said to just keep an eye on it. I did give her some Activated Charcoal and probios, and she's all better now. I'm suspecting she got into something in the pasture that she shouldn't have, we do have one what we think is a wild black cherry tree so maybe she ate some of the dried leaves.

I'm also starting to plan for breeding - I have my eye on a nice buck for Fiona and I've already contacted his owner, we just have to work out the details. I really like these girls Eclair gave us so I think I'll repeat that breeding for her. Oh, I can't wait to have little, little baby goats again!

Has anyone tried dam raising for a short while, (say one or two weeks) and then switching to bottle feeding? I've been thinking about doing that from now on and wondering how that would work - would it be terribly hard to get them to accept the bottle? I know our breeder does it but I think she only leaves them together for 3 days, then puts all the kids into a different pen and bottle feeds. I would like to leave them together until the time we would start separating/taping off for morning milking, then switch to the bottle. I like all the reasons for bottle-raising them - friendly (thought ours are dam-raised and are ALWAYS around us, kind of a pain!) less risk of damage to the udder, and easier to wean.

Good to hear that there are some quiet Nubians out there - I've been thinking about adding a Nubian doe or two to the herd, mainly to use their milk for chesemaking. We have Alpines now and I love them and the milk, but I think it would be nice to have a richer milk.

Kathryn, congrats on the baby!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lindsey. I need to know what kind of tape you use? I want to try this. Never have before but seems like a great idea. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Just some regular white first aid tape - I use the Johnson & Johnson brand. I got mine at Wal-Mart, you can probably find it at any pharmacy. I use two pieces in sort of an plus - one going from front to back, one from side to side, and then I squeeze as if I were milking to make sure it sticks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page