Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  1:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey, I hope your head is ok today. They really do have hard heads for sure. Especially bucks.

So the new feed is helping a lot. The milk has gone back up plus some. And they seem to like it too. I got over half a gallon this morning. I am just going to milk Adabelle once a day since she doesn't have much. But it helps. And hopefully she'll make a little bit more now. She kind of went through a droopy time. I have to give her Nutridrench and Kaopectate for a few days. And she really hates being milked. Hates it. But is tolerating it now more.

I just got 84 bales of hay out of the field yesterday and finally got it all put in the barn today. Now it can rain, which we need a lot of. My poor newly planted squash is not looking good, even after watering a few times. Nothing like a good rain shower to perk up the plants. You can see my new blog posts about the hay and the free fire wood.

How is everyone doing? I hope Sherrye will be ok. She is having some health issues and having to sell or loan out some of her animals. Let's all send her some good thoughts, ok?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  3:59:26 PM  Show Profile
praying for Sherrye. Hope she is feeling better.
Kris ain't it a good feeling to have you barn filled with hay! And it smells good too. Adabelle sounds like she is getting used to milking. Give her a little more time and I bet she gets better.
We need rain now too. We have been dry for about 3 weeks now, if not month. Though the garden is mostly done. Got a few things left in it yet. Started feeding hay to the beefers.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile
thanks for thinking of me michele, i am doing good. ever forward slowly but forward. we are still organizing things here. getting ready for winter to come. the days are cooler so it is easier. papa has not been working again so he is here more to help me. sounds like your set for winter kris. i agree with michele a barn full of hay is a fine thing. my barn is empty. i need hay just for tomorrow. so far the critters are all good. i will post more later. just wanted to say good morning. happy days to you, sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  6:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye. I'm glad your husband is home to help you. It sure makes things easier. How are you feeling? Is the cool weather better for you? it sure is not cool here right now. 92 today. We did get a itty bitty tiny little small piddly rain shower a few hours ago. I did get wet and all the animals ran for cover. But only lasted about 3 1/2 minutes. So I went ahead and watered my poor squash plants. And zucchini. And cucumbers.

So this new feed I am mixing is great! The milk has gone up dramatically. I am very well pleased with it so far. Now if I could get more milk from the new doe Adabelle. I am just milking her in the mornings now and getting about 1 1/2 cups. But I am loving all this milk now. And I picked up a new customer. So now I have 4 1/2 gallons a week plus cheese too.

I am getting ready for breeding time. Next week is it. I am putting Sandy and Penelope in with the new Boer buck. They'll go in the back yard. Then Zarah and Adabelle will be with John Henry up front. I'll keep Abby and the littles in the back pasture. I just don't think I'm going to breed Abby again. She is really looking good right now though. But it took 4 months. And the past 2 years, it has taken at least 2 months to get her milk to taste good. So I think she may be done with her milking days. Now to figure out what to do with her. I'll keep milking her til she dries up. Then she will have to go. I hope I can find a nice place for her nearby.

Y'all have a great holiday weekend!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  06:54:57 AM  Show Profile
hey there all you farmgirls, i am so missing being able to post more. i know you are all busy too. my milk cows are ding great. they are fattening up for winter. i cannot get them bred back. so i feel frustrated. i dont need a calf from them but their production is low. they have been milking now 16 months. i still have belle. i need to do a tail bleed on her. i am almost positive she is open. the milking is going great. we eventually want to be set up to do two cows at one time. so all the goat girls are down in pasture for winter. ginger still has a rough coat. i ivermec wormer all of them. is there another choice. i bet it is still worms. she is a small meek little la mancha. maybe i should just do this wormer again? any advice would be great. Kris i saw your B.C. dogs at your place. i am going to care for my kids dog for a while. she is about 4 years old. border collies love to work and run for sure. Michelle are you still milking? well gotta get to chores. it still is a slow go forward for me. i am getting stronger each day. thanks for all the love and support through these days. happy days to you sherry

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye! Good to see you here. Still very busy out there. I have had the worst time with Barber Pole worms this year in the sheep. Do you have Red Cell? Get some and give to your goats. It really helps boost their immune systems and their red blood cells. My sheep were so anemic. I have to take my ewe lamb back in Monday for another blood test to see they are doing after 2 weeks on the Red Cell. I hope much better because I need to get them bred soon. Glad to hear you are getting stronger. Don't do too much though. And stay in touch!

I hope all my does are pregnant now. I'll wait a few more weeks. Then take the Lamancha buck over to another farm and find a place for the Boer buck to visit awhile. They STINK!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  04:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Hay ladies, sherrye I am milking once a day yet. I am lazy and have the calf on the cow yet. She will be 4 months old soon. We are going to a wedding the first part of Oct. So when we get back will wean the calf. Soon it will be weaning time for beefers too.
Kris I hope your sheep are doing better. Hard thing to deal with. I have never been around bucks, and they must stink bad.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  07:31:59 AM  Show Profile
I'll be taking Adelaide back to the vet for blood work early this week. I have just been putting the Red Cell in their feed now about every other day. They seem to take longer eating when it's in the feed. They all look great and no more bottle jaw!!!! I'm calling my mowing friend to get him back this week to mow both pastures again. Then I'll try to separate ewes to breed. I'll have to keep Adelaide and Annabelle out, They are too little yet to breed. I hope by Dec. they'll be big enough. They'll be 8 and 9 months old then. I'll just have to see about how big they've gotten by then. Don't know why they are so small. They are mostly Finn.

I am having family over today. I cooked the turkey all night. It's my last turkey I raised last year. 12 pounds. We're having dressing, gravy, fried okra, green beans, corn pudding, apple crisp. Maybe mashed taters too. Everything but the cornbread and okra came from my farm. The okra is from my friend up the road.

Y'all have a great Sunday. It's beautiful here. And happy fall, y'all!!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  1:40:36 PM  Show Profile
YOur dinner sure sounds yummy! Isn't it great to eat a meal all home grown. Glad to hear the sheep are doing better. Always something to keep you hopping!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Kris,sorry to hear about your worm problem with your sheep,sounds like you're giving them excellent nursing and will get them over it just fine,I bet its a pain though!
The dinner sounds wonderful,it's such a nice feeling to set your table with homegrown produce,nothing beats it!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Have a question does anyone know what to give to young kids that have the runs?.....After we seprated mom and kids..they have been having the runs.

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  9:02:50 PM  Show Profile
I would give them slippery elm powder made into a warm mush,this is great for scours,you could also mix it with yogurt or probios to help get some good bugs working in thier little rumens,are they eating well of plenty of forage and a small amount of grain?

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  07:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Debra. That happened to my friend's 2 little bucklings when I took the mom here to milk. They all got scours. And the kids had been eating grain and grass and hay all along. I think the stress of separation causes some of that. I went ahead and gave the kids Kaopectate. They had already had a CDT shot. I think we wormed them as well. Now the doe has had runny poop and is so skinny. I wormed her and gave her Red Cell and a whole tube of Probios over several days, and a CDT shot and antibiotics. I think something is wrong with that goat. But the kids are fine now. I always give the goats lots of Kaopectate when I see that going on. It usually stops in a day or so. Have yours had their CDT shots and been wormed?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  5:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Are they on any sort of coccidiosis prevention program? Weaning is a stressful time and high-stress times can cause cocci to rear it's ugly head. Just something to think about/watch for. :)

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  6:32:09 PM  Show Profile
thank you all...they are eating grain, hay, drinking plenty of water as well. They are up to date on medicine. I will have to give them some yogurt. Thank you all for your help...will try what you all say helps.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  6:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
What is Red Cell? Never heard of it.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  06:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Debra, Red Cell is full of all kinds of vitamins like B and C and iron. My sheep had Barber Pole worms really bad this summer and my favorite ewe died from it. They are worms that literally suck the blood out of the intestinal walls. So all the rest of my sheep were very anemin. The one ewe lamb I took to the vet for blood work had a red blood cell count of 9 out of 35 when I took her 3 weeks ago. After giving all the sheep Red Cell and B complex shots, her blood cell count after 2 weeks was at 24. So a huge improvement. It builds their blood back up after something like this. The vet said he would like to see it at least at 30 before I stop giving it to them every day. Then go to about once a week. So it's good stuff to have on hand. I got mine at the co-op but they also have it at Tractor Supply. It was only $17 for a gallon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  07:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Lots of breeding going on here these days! So I hope in late winter-early spring, this farm will be jumping with little lambs and kids. What fun!

What's going on at your farms these days?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  10:03:03 AM  Show Profile
Fiona is away at buck camp... I miss her! She'll be there until she comes in heat and is bred so I hope that happens soon. Maddie and Charlotte are growing like weeds and still getting into all sorts of mischief. Eclair is starting to drop a bit in production, which I'm sort of happy about because when she's at peak, she really looses condition fast so I'm hoping now she'll start putting on a bit of weight before I breed her.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  08:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for helping me out with my two kid goats. There doing GREAT.....Praise the Lord!
Thank you again
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2012 :  4:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, y'all! I am going crazy here. With goats and sheep all over and trying to keep this one in and that one out and this one with this guy and her with him and him with her..... I am tired!Lots of lovin' going on and lots of chasing and head butting. And him chasing her and her chasing him. It's funny but a little frustrating at the same time. Good grief, I'll be glad when all this craziness is over for another year!

I have had penelope and Sandy in with the new Boer buck I just got last month. Apparently, he's too young and small for Sandy's liking. And Penelope keeps jumpimg up on the window and well house to get away from him. Poor guy. So today, he's chasing her all over. I should have just put them in a stall together. But I went ahead and put her in with John Henry and the other Lamancha does. She is half Lamancha and half Nubian with little elf ears. So I guess that will be ok. I'd rather have no ears than elf ears anyway. So we shall see. John Henry has been right with her the whole time she's been in there so far. But the other does have been head butting and mean to her too. And Sandy looks at me like she wants to go in there too. No, that ain't gonna happen. I want meat kids this time. Sorry!

And I have had 2 rams trying to breed with certain ewes. I have to keep certain rams away from their mothers, so it's a juggling act here. One ram is not as matured as the other ram is yet. So he will have to wait a bit longer.

Anyway, it's a circus around here lately. What's going on at your farms this fall? Looks like Lindsey is doing the musical goats too. Good luck!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  7:13:32 PM  Show Profile
hey there kris, so ggod to see you here. the girls have been busy here i am getting some of my power back from my infusions papa has done a bunch of stuff to make it easier for me here. the latest is a bar on the back of my jeep. i can clip 3 cows to it. so i drive over to pasture and drive the cows home. i had to train each girl to it first. so today was 2 cows at once. i will do this a few days and then add the third. i just got a customer today for 6 gallons of milk a week. yipee that is $ 168.00 a month. almost a ton of hay a month. 2 of the wethers i sold are coming back. the folks sold their house. they are sweet kids. i traded my registered boer goat doe for some cattle panels. so i just have ginger my la mancha now. she is out to pasture with 45 goats. i am so enjoying my new stainless steel sink and counter in the laundry room. papa put it in for my milk stuff. i have a dishwasher in there that sanitizes too. i feel so blessed. when i was sick these past fe eeks after my infusion so many folks helped. papa especially stepped up and helped more. so we are getting ready for winter here. i have been halter training 4 heifer calves. it has been a challenge for sure. my arms were tired so i tied them to the tractor. walked them in circles they are getting it now. i am selling some of them. they need to walk on a lead to sell for milkers. i love reading about all the goats. i am going to check into the red cell stuff for belle. well i hope all you farm girls have happy days ahead. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  12:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you are moving around and doing well Sherrye. HOpe all continues to go well for you. Kris love is sure in the air by you. Hope you can keep everyone where they belong.
Fall is here. The leaves are pretty much gone already. Time to get some wood cut.
I got the beefers down by us now. WE have been very dry all fall now. Have been feeding hay for a while. Got calves weaned. Shipping a few cows and a bull next week.
I am back to milking twice a day now. Weaned Cassie off of Connie Monday. So no one is too happy. She is 4 months old, so it was time.
enjoy Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  08:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all! Good to see you here, Sherrye. Sounds like you are getting things together there and making life easier for you. That always helps.ANd good to have people around that can hlep too.

Michelle, I bet you are getting lots of milk now. Are you making cheese and butter?

I'll be taking John Henry over the ridge next week, it looks like. I am so ready for him to be GONE! My little Boer buck is SO FAT. I mean, his belly is huge. I think there must be a huge basketball in there. I checked his eyes and he's as pink as can be. I think he's really a female with only one udder and very pregnant. That's what he looks like. Like he's about to pop! I gave him some baking soda. And I don't think Sandy is pregnant yet. John is trying to get over the fence at her all the time.

Do y'all remember my goat Sadie mae and her mom Faith? I sold them about 3 1/2 years ago. The girl I sold her to sold them about 9 months later. Then a few months after that, she had a massive heart attack and died, leaving 5 beautiful daughters and a very heartbroken husband. So sad. But I never knew what happened to Sadie and Faith. Well, a few days ago, while looking through CL, I saw an ad for 3 goats. I always look if there is a picture. And there they were, Faith and Sadie. Saide has a doe kid that looks just like her, but with horns. This guy is selling all 3 for $300.oo. I emailed and left my #. I don't want them back, but just wanted to know how they were. He' called yesterday. He bought them from Christian about 3 years ago and has had them since. They are fine. I am glad to know they are still together. I wish I could get them back. But Saide was a jumper, always got out. And her milk was horrible! And Faith had these really huge udders and teats that were hard to get my hands around. Really hard to milk when she was full. And she's 9 years old now. I hope he finds a good hime for them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Hows the milking going? Been a while for this thread, thought I would see what is up.
We have had a couple of snows now. Sure needed the moisture. It is all melted now, but was able to get a Christmas picture taken during the last snow fall. Getting a little ahead of the game. Shipped some cows, and a bull. Got good prices. Bought a new bull, yicks the prices had gone up. Going to have my own bull calf steered next week, and get my heifer calf dehorned. I need to get Connie checked, as she has been having silent heats. She is giving 2 gallons a day, so that is just fine.
Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page