Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye is Kris busy? I have not seen her one here for a while. I hope that is all it is anyways. Cow is doing okay. She has been running a fever on and off, and vet does not know why. I hope she snaps out of it soon, I sure don't want to have to ship her.
Sherrye you are sure keeping busy with all your different critters. good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  2:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I hope all is going well with you,your families and your farms,there isn't much going on here,I haven't been on much since I had a rough month that has left me out of sorts but I wanted to get on here and check in with all you gals and see what's going on,congratulations to everyone who has new kids or other babies since I was last here.
I'm still expecting kids from my youngest doe Bonnie,she's building a nice udder and getting big,the other kids are growing well and I've put them up for sale,I'm just kind of burned out and so don't plan on keeping any of them,especially our one reject bottle kid,I am just giving him away to the first person who wants him,I hate being jumped on and screamed at all the time,I don't care if they want to cook him into cabrito burritos,he's leaving with the first person who wants him but he's homely and annoying so right now it seems like I would have more luck giving away samples of the ebola virus than this little goat.
I tattooed all the kids today,only one is getting a slight sign of a scur horn growing and that's cabrito burrito baby,the other ones have all healed and are staying smooth,the trick with that non-electric iron is doing it super early or else I wouldn't bother using it at all because I haven't had good results with older kids,just the real tiny ones.
We had to put my Daughter's Paint pony down,that was heatbreaking,he was near twenty years old but had a hard hand dealt him with navicular,founder and carpal spavin,it was time,it's been time for awhile but we finally worked up the fortitude to do it and buried him out in the pasture,he was such a good horse,he gave so many children thier first safe rides and taught many more to ride well so we're going to miss him terribly,horses like him are worth thier own weight in gold.
Well ladies,I had better go,I'm on the library computer,you all take care!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  3:46:55 PM  Show Profile
well i thought its about time i said howdy. what have you all been up to. it has been crazy here. getting ready for papa to go again. we have a new bred sow coming any minute. i am very excited. she is a hamp. she weighs about 650 pounds. so we moved sweet pea and babies to a different pen. we moved maudie and a steer out to pasture. next fencing next door. i get to use their land. so now we have about 20 acres for our stock. kathryn sure sorry about your loss. so very sad when we lose a long time animal. sending hugs. wondering how linda is. sure miss kris a lot. was hoping to see she had been on. well need to get a coat on. pig will be here soon. happy days to all you farmgirls. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Howdy Ladies!! It has been an extremely long time since I have posted on here. I am glad to see everyones farms growing:) Well my Maizy finally had a bull calf this year (on April 20th)...we named him Chuck Roast lol! He is growing like a weed. It was amazing one minute theres nothing going on just figured she had about 24 to 36 hours to go before calving and then all the sudden 45 min later she dropped the calf! Maizy started with extremely bad edema and had gotten a cut in her udder from her hoof pretty bad. All is healing well though with bedadine and my homemade salve...can't tell you how proud I am that its healing with herbs! Having a hard time figuring out her feed though. I had her on grass hay but am finding shes gonna have to go onto alfalfa because shes looking a little too skinny for my liking and shes not producing as much milk as she has in previous freshenings. Theres no infections going on that could contribute to production loss so I'm figuring I need to up her protien intake. Hope all is going well with everyone!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  06:50:04 AM  Show Profile
what a sweet looking calf happy days for you. i love the color are you milking mom?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  06:40:47 AM  Show Profile
i am wondering how you all are? missing hearing from you all. we moved hazel home to have her calf. i may bottle feed this one. she is AI with A-2 heifer semen. our friend from the valley is coming today. i feel nervous about the day. we are removing horns today. one cow cocoa has huge horns. i am taking them off. then 3 calves also. we are banding the bull today. he got his work done now he will be able to run with the herd. sweet pea the sow is moved to a new pen. we bought a hamp sow. she is in the birthing area. she is due in july. her last litter she had 18 we are doing maudies feet again and 2 more cows. so a very big day here. the sun is out, sky is blue and here we go. sure do miss kris. we also have 75 fryer chicks. they are doing great so far. i am hoping you all have a fine day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Lena nice mama and calf. Congrags on the new baby.
I spent the weekend planting trees in our rocky soil and 4 blueberry bushes. I was so sore sunday night I could hardly walk. But glad they are in. It rained last night and is raining some today. We got about 1 1/2 inches of rain. Should help the trees alot. Hope to till the garden and get tomato plants in this weekend on mothers day. I have had my garden covered with black plastic trying to kill this creeping weed that took over this winter.Our winter was to mild and the bugs and weeds are out of hand already.

The goat babies are growing like weeds and I am working on naming the 3 does that I am keeping this year. They are so pretty. The new bucks sure crossed super nice with my does.

Sherry I guess you already have your new pig that exciting. Are mama pigs always that big when they are full grown?

Well I am off to start laundry and work at putting the winter clothes away and getting out the rest of the summer clothes. Hope everyone is doing great and I am sure everyone is super busy with farming matters.Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  04:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherry and Linda.
sherrye I hope the person dehorning does give your animals shots to relax them, and for pain around the horns. I have seen dehorning done bothways, and giveing those shots makes it much much easier on them and you. Same for castorating the bull. If he has bred, it will probably be easier on him to cut him. good luck how ever you get the jobs done.
LInda hope all your plantings take. We have rocks too, and it makes the job twice as hard! One thing we don't dry out as fast during a dry period.
We have been working on fencing. Had to redo some summer pasture fence. Got the new parts done, but need to walk the rest and tighten up here and there. Then time to get the cows to pasture.
take care
michele
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  3:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Yup Sherry I'm milking twice a day so far. Some days I have to share milk as I'm working full time and have what I'm considering a full time farm! Things have been crazy around here. Maizys cut is almost healed and we banded the little guy almost a week ago. Doesn't seem to bother him any. Can't wait for the day that I can work full time on our mini farm here...theres so much I want to do and learn but so far I don't have enough hours in the day. Well I better get going so I can see how my yogurt came out to make some cheese! Happy days to you all:)

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile
well i am happy to hear from all you girls. i miss kris still. to answer your question about pig sizes they never stop growing. we had a boar that weighed 1100 pounds. we ate him and sold his meat at a discount 2 pork chops 3/4 thick weighed 4 1/2 pounds LOL i like the bigger girls. the sow we bought is sweet. we named her sweet tater. it was the first thing she ate here. now we bought another sow today. so we will get her maybe this week end. she is due end of june. so 2 more sows that are pregnant. i am going to sell sweet peas piglets to pay for new sow. leanne, so glad your cow is doing good. aint milk great. yum. i drank almost a quart of cream today. i felt a little sick. so i had sugar and cream. then i felt all better. papa did 20 t-posts and strung wire for the girls pasture next door. they are letting me use their pasture. so we pruned trees yesterday. the plum and apple. my hands hurt big time. it does take a lot of farm time to keep it going. just chores are huge. our friends just dropped off 2 barrels of barley. its from a brewery. it could be the last of it. they are going to a different system. michele i bet YOUR hands hurt. so we also brought hazel home. she is due in june on the 16th. i will bottle her heifer calf. it is sexed danish jersey heifer A-2 A-2 baby. she does not belong to me. i will train her for my friend. i milk her cow for her. she gave me a new milk machine and pump for training. i am so thrilled to do it. so lots of fun ahead. i wanted to say we decided to band the horns. no cutting. we will try the caltrate bander first. our friend and vet jake is trading pork meat for doing it. i have 3 girls to do. well time for a hot bath. hope you all have happy spring days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  07:05:36 AM  Show Profile
thought i would bump this up. our new sow comes today. julie is on her way to pick her up. she is due in aug. so we will have july and aug. piglets. now to get sweet pea bred back. i had pulled all the piglets and went to check...oh no.... they were not there the 2 runts found a hole in the night. they trucked out hunting for sweet pea. i ran to her pen and there they were. all snuggled with mama. so for now that is where they are. she is enjoying having only 2. i think my 3 are sold. i sure hope so. it is part of papas trip money. he is heading to wyoming. ti have been really wanting a small horse lately. i am going to start the search. so if you horse farmgirls have thoughts i am listening. happy days to you all.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  04:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye how are all the piggys doing? You will have lots of babies coming. That is so great that you can sell all of them. Hows the cows doing? I am waiting on Connie to calf. She is getting ready, and due June 5. It will be nice to have real dairy products again. Just got the last butter out of the freezer. So will have to buy some now. Beefers are up on pasture. Still waiting on one momma to calve. She sure is late, but bagging now. I am getting 3 pigs the end of June. Just to raise and butcher. They will get the extra milk from Connie. Sheep are sheared now as well. Need to get cleaning wool. But it will wait till after haying season. It will be time to cut hay soon. Got the garden planted now too. Had some rain over night finally. We have been dry for a couple weeks.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile
howdy michele, the pigs are doing great jellybean arrived just fine. she is a hamp. julies truck blew a head gasket so jellybean was stuck at diamond lake junction. papa jumped in the rig and went and got her. she slept most of yesterday. i really like her. she is calm and sweet. when i figure out my camera again i will post pics. so we have one pig open and 2 bred. i would like to have a duroc or red wattle too. for now i am happy with what i have. cows are doing good. hazel will calve around the 16th of june. i need the milk. we are still getting ready for john to go to wy. again. fixing fence and such. castrated the bull and waiting for his sack to fall off. then the girls can go there. i secured another 2 acres. so i have enough grass now i think. hoping to start calf training next week. i am happy to hear some one else is getting pigs. i think they are fun. our fryers are sure growing. another 3 or 4 weeks and i will butcher. i still need to order turkey poults. i sure would like to have enough land to do hay. it is going up to higher prices. there has been very little rain here. we are pumping water and irrigating now. well got to go milk. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  4:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Thought I would pop in and see what was going on. I hope everyone is doing well. Kris if your reading this I am sure missing your post.
I am weaning babies finally now that they are 3 months old. I am taking them away overnight. I am finally swimming in goat milk. Now I have so much I am giving the chickens some everyday. I posted in the farm kitchen section about making goat milk yogurt. When I am using my Hoegger yogurt machine using cows milk it works fine. But when I use the goat milk it comes out watery. I hope someone can help me figure out how to make it work. I wrote all the details in the farm kitchen post. I would really like to make a bunch of goat milk yogurt and have it turn out. Its just so watery.

Anyway finally got the garden finished this weekend. We had over 5 inches of rain and it took a while for we could get in there and finish. Now we could use a little rain to get the seeds going. The tomatoes were put in Mothers day and when we got that storm it broke over half of the tomatoes off at the dirt and I had to replant them. Thanks goodness I had not given the extras all away. I did have some left over and sent the rest with my husband to work.

I ran and add in 2 different news papers to sell some goats. I have 24 and thats way too many. I love them all but need to sell some. Its gonna be hard cause I get so attached to them.

My son just got back from checking the 3 beehives we have and it looks like we will get a really good honey harvest this year. I know the mild winter and early spring made the difference. He is so excited and so am I.

well off to milk those galls again. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  04:51:26 AM  Show Profile
morning all. Back to milking here. Connie had a little girl 6 days early! 30-35 pounds. A little Jersey girl Named her Cassie. Connie is being a very good momma, no kicking this time around. It is her second lactation. I am very thankful for that. Started using her milk the other day. Linda did you get your yogurt figured out? Good to hear your bees are doing so well. I got to get out and check mine. I do have my kefir going again, if you want any grains. I just got it out of the freezer yesterday, and changed the milk again today. It was getting thick. Send me an email with your address.
Sherrye how is everything going for you? Keeping busy I am sure.
I did get my ten acres or so here baled up with no rain. Waiting for the weather to change, to get started up at my dads place. 40 acres there.
michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  06:54:17 AM  Show Profile
good morning girls, i too miss kris. she said she has family right now ar her place. she is super busy now. i hope she comes back on soon. i miss her for sure. we have had big spring days here. yesterday we sent 2 cows to the butcher. we also did our first pig scraping. it was one for a wedding. he weighed 115 pounds with head on. what a job it was. we bought a used dip tank. we have always skinned our before. this is going to be done on a bbq. what a learn as we go experience. we used the tractor to drop in the tank and lift him out. it took a village to scrape him clean. i was so glad when we were done. i have been concerned about him being right so i slept good last night. we are moving calves and cows today. i now have about 15 acres for them. hazel our jersey girl is due to calve soon. we will bring her home today. need to keep a close eye on her for milk fever we have a sow due end of this month or first of next. yesterday was nice and cool even had a hail storm. it made it more comfortable to work on the pig. we are getting ready for folks to stay here while they go to the brannamman event. i want the place to look nice. i was going to the farm milk event tomorrow. i am just too tired. i also worry the pesticides that have been sprayed will hurt me so i am going to skip going i wanted to go sooo bad. such is life these days. linda did you get your goats sold? how many are you milking? i am milking 2 cows right now with the 3d due. i am not milking goats this year. michele congrats on your little girl. can you post a pic of your baby? i sure would like to have land for hay. it is $250.00 a ton here. trying to decide who to keep and who to sell before winter. time to go milk the girls so hoping to hear from you girls. happy days to you all.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  04:35:51 AM  Show Profile

Morning Sherrye This is little Cassie. Born May 31, 2012. She was only about 30-35 pounds. she is doing very well. You sure have a lot going on. Keeps you out of trouble! Good luck with the moves, and the up coming babies. We got the cattle rub put up for the beefers on pasture, yesterday. Hoping to keep the pink eye away. We have it so they have to go under the rub to get to their salt and minerals. I have the strips hanging off the rub, so it should work.
No more haying here yet. Hoping the weather will be good after tonight, for the rest of the week.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile
oh michele she is a cute one for sure. i brought hazel in last night. we are on countdown now. her bag is filling. are going to keep your calf? yesterday was a big day. we sent 2 cows to butcher. we also butchered a pig for a wedding. we bought a hog vat. it took a village. it was our first to scald. he turned out great. with head on he weighed 115 pounds. we scrubbed him up and he was sparkling clean what a relief to have it done. i slept good last night. today more getting the stalls ready for kids and calves. time to get ready for milking. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sherrye

oh michele she is a cute one for sure. i brought hazel in last night. we are on countdown now. her bag is filling. are going to keep your calf? yesterday was a big day. we sent 2 cows to butcher. we also butchered a pig for a wedding. we bought a hog vat. it took a village. it was our first to scald. he turned out great. with head on he weighed 115 pounds. we scrubbed him up and he was sparkling clean what a relief to have it done. i slept good last night. today more getting the stalls ready for kids and calves. time to get ready for milking. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014

what a doll!
Stand for What's Right!

Edited by - Sugar Girl on Jun 16 2012 10:11:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  04:09:54 AM  Show Profile
The goats are cute Pam

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Frugal Table
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Central Kentucky
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  10:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Here's some of our gang:

Living a rich life frugally...
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  5:32:52 PM  Show Profile
The sheeps are cutey pies too!
Do you milk them, or do they produce wool for you?

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  2:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,..I have a question. I am looking for a wormer for my two four year old Barbadoes sheep that I can administer perhaps as a crumble. I have been remiss in worming them in the last year as I have had a baby and gotten caught up thereof. Ideally I am hoping I can find something that I can worm them with regularly and safely with said baby on my back. It would be so great if I could feed it to them instead of having to try and catch them right now. Flying hooves and babies don't mix! lol! Any ideas??? Thank you SOOO much!!
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  10:13:02 PM  Show Profile
What a pretty flock.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  04:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I will be watching for an answer for you Lily. I need to get some wormer for my sheep as well. There was a story in one of the MJF Magazines, that a gal made her wormer for her sheep. I will have to look that up.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page