Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  09:23:40 AM  Show Profile
Kristin congrats are having a little Nubie doe !!! I am glad your waiting is over.
Sherrye any signs of Sweetpea having piggies yet? I know she is due very soon.

I am getting worried about my doe Luna. She is due the 29th of this month. She is so big she can hardly walk or lay down. I have never seen her this big. She has had descent size trips before but she is way bigger than that. I have never seen her so slow,careful and deliberate in walking before like she has to think about each step she takes. I am getting up several times at night to check on her. I have a feeling I am gonna have to help her with this delivery. I am fretting so bad with worry (I know it doesn't change the situation) I can't hardly sleep or concentrate on anything. I wish she would go into labor this minute so I could get those babies out and give her some much needed relief. But guess I will have to wait on her and mother nature.
She is seven years old and I am not going to breed her this fall. She is gonna take a year off for sure maybe even retired depending on how she does.

I just hope all goes well with her. She is bred to one of my new Bucks from kansas and I worry that is why she is so big. The does that have kidded so far with his babies have all been huge but only twins or singles from them. I may not be using him again if this becomes a pattern with him. He is a beautiful buck tho.Well I'm off to check on her and give her a back rub. I know she sure has been enjoying them the past few weeks.Sorry to go on so much I am so nervous. Catch ya all later.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 28 2012 09:25:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  10:51:24 AM  Show Profile
oh my linda, my boer doe did this. i did have to help. her last one was dead and small. she had 4. so she fed 3 and did a wonderful job. but yes we had to help her. please keep us posted. i will be thinking of you and her and carry you in my heart today. sweet pea is all bagged up. so birthing is any time now. her due date is tomorrow. so on pins and needles here too. i have my first aid kit and such in the car. i am ready and the heat lamp has been on for 24 hours now. we have a block warming for them on the baby side happy birthing all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  12:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Kris! Those twins sound so stinking cute.

Welcome Lori! I cant help with the butter question. I hope someone else does soon.

Sherrye, please keep us posted. I hope all goes well.

I had another doe kid on Sunday evening. She had just a single buckling, he was a big boy. I have never had to help with her labors before, but this kids was huge. He was 4.75 lbs.!
She and a really hard time after the delivery. Lots of pain,diarrhea and went off feed for two days! I was giving her banamine, Thiamine, calcium and nutri drench. She finally got better last night. Eating on her won now! I was thankful for a vet that walked me through this all over the phone at no charge.

I will post pics. soon.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  2:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Lori on all that good milk. I just dried my cow up, so am missing the dairy products. But I guess not all the work! Making butter. As you know can be done many different ways. With Connie, I have had the best luck shaking the cream in a jar. I let it sit out and warm up to almost room temp, takes a couple of hours. You don't want the jar filled more then about 1/3. You can make butter with any amount of cream. I think the nice thick cream makes butter faster. Shake it back and forth till you have the butter and butter milk. You will see the difference. Then I put it in a bowl and work with a paddle, or use a wooden spoon. Getting the butter milk out. I also rinse it a few times. Then work it more to get all the water out. Add some salt, mix it in and your done. Fresh butter is delicious on plain ole salteens! I don't let the cream sour. You can use a blender, but you got to watch for when the cream line drops, as then you have butter. Takes practice. I have a butter churn, but with Connies cream I have had better luck with the jar. I figure all that shaking back and forth is excercise right? : ) Good luck.
Congrats on all the babies too. I had another beef baby this morning when I went out for a check. The older mommas can be pretty sneaky! But everything was fine.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  2:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele! Some of this cream is so thick I have to scrape it off the spoon like you do sour cream! Unlike my country raised husband, this city girl has never had access to milk fresh from the cow. I am in a whole new world of wonder (and work...you are so right!) I will try it in a jar first - thanks for the info.

Do you ladies pasturize or just sanitize everything really good?

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
www.diamondbsheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  3:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I make butter in my blender. I used to have a smoothie maker blender that had the spout at the bottom. It was great for pouring off the buttermilk when it was done. Then I'd pour water in and mix up and pour it off again til the water ran out clear. Really easy. I have even made butter with goat milk but it takes a long time to get cream. It was when I was milking 7 goats and had SO much milk.

I do not pasturize my goat milk. And never have. I even get cow milk from my friend when my goats are dry. I had gotten a gallon of cow milk from her last week and my daughter pasturized a quart. She said it had little flecks of butter in it. I want mine raw. It's so much better.

I am getting my friend's Jersey heifer in a few weeks. She's letting me borrow her to put in with my sheep to help eat down the tall grass. I think I already wrote all this. Sorry. But I am kind of looking forward to having a cow here again. I hope she will get along with my sheep and the lambs. She's only about 18 months old.

I was gone all day and went to check on Sandy and the kids when I got home. She is so finicky. It looks like she is not cleaning the kids. And I am wondering if she is letting them nurse. They have lots of poop stuck on their little rears. But she's really jumpy when I try to touch her udders. I have already had to milk her twice because she's so big. I thought maybe that's why she's so touchy. But when I bring her back to the stall, she seems ok. She's just not cleaning them. Seems like she did this last year too. Maybe she's just not too sure about having kids with ears. It has been awhile.

Linda, I hope all goes well for Luna. Poor girl. I'll be thinking about both of you. Let us know how she does.

And you too, Sherrye. I bet she has lots of piglets. There's a guy at the beginning of my road who has 7 white pigs in his front pasture where he did have sheep. They are so funny to watch. I'm going to stop one day and see if he's going to be selling them soon. They sure look good. They have tons of good green grass to eat and root around in.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  6:35:38 PM  Show Profile
i use my kitchen aid. i use cream at about 55 degrees. i use my paddle. i put the splatter guard on and put a cloth towel over the whole thing. be sure you dont cover your vent hole for your mixer to breath. you could use a hand mixer or like kris said a blender. i use a half gallon in my big bowl. i dont get a pound usually a little less. other than the machine i do it like the other girls do. if you work it too much the butter gets kinda slimey. when you add the salt it will weep a little more. i squeeze and shake my hunk to get the last of the milk out. if you dont rinse it enough it will spoil quicker. the milk whey left in there will spoil it sooner. So still waiting on sweet pea. waiting is truly hard. hope the little goat is better tonight. well gotta check the pig happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  12:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Well the wait is finally over. Luna went into labor this morning. She tried pushing some but nothing was really happening and she wouldn't lay down. I knew she needed help this is one of the first times she has needed this kind of help. The first baby was backwards and upside down. Had to go in and find legs and rotate. I thought I would never get him out but I did. The second one was backwards also and bigger but had room to work with since the first one was out of the way. The third baby was normal presentation so she had trips and all are doing well. Now the good part.....mom is doing well too.She passed everything, she ate her apple and carrot and warm electrolyte water and some grain. Cleaned her up with warm soap and water and a quick towel dry and she looks so much better and doesn't look like the Goodyear Blimp anymore.

I gave her a antiobiotic shot since I had to go in and a Banamine shot to help with pain and she has a little edema in her udder. The other good news is she had 1 buck kid and 2 does. I finally have some girls. One is almost white like her mama and the other is black like her papa. The other buck is a frosty mocha color.They have super long ears and are beautiful to me.

I am so tired but so relieved its over and it turned out well. I just will have to momitor the edema and work on that. All the babies nursed well and were taking a nap with mama when I left. Well I'm am off to check on them again and see if they want to nurse. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  3:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I am so glad it all turned out so well and you got 2 does!!!! Luna sounds like a great mother. Glad that's over for her and for you too. Now you can rest. Is that all the does to kid now?

Sandy is doing much better. Her sweet little kids are lots cleaner too.

I traded my daughter and her 2 daughters for my sisters big huge Great Dane puppy. Such a great trade. They all went to the Battlefield park to see ghosts after dark. And Finja is here at my feet resting. Bubba is in Stella's crate and Stella is loose somewhere in the house. So it's nice and quiet at the moment.

I thought my borrowed heifer was coming today but the rain and thunder has put her coming til Monday now. The grass is getting taller as I type. Everything is SO green here right now.

Well, we are getting some more rain. My garden already needed it. I have not seen any potatoes yet or squask and zuchinni. So hopefully this will help them pop up. (Geeze, it's really pouring right now.)

Hope you all have a great weekend. I'll have the grands for their Spring break most of the week. I may be sending them home by the middle of the week though. Depends on how good they are.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  8:42:27 PM  Show Profile
oh linda, i am so glad it all worked out. last year was my year for that sort of thing. they sound so cute. i would love to see a pic. we will not have babies till end of may.Kris glad your girls are good too. so many fine babies right now. so we still are waiting on sweet pea. she is huge. her belly is just boobs and boobs and more boobs. she is restless tonight. so it will be a night of running down to check her. its raining here too. she ate a good dinner. i just took her 2 gallons of milk. she loved it. so i will keep you all posted. i am loving this girl so much. i have been watching birthing videos. studying wrong presentations so i can be ready. i bought gloves for palpitating. just the waiting is getting old. happy days waiting here. if i can tomorrow i will post a pic of her. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  8:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I went and got John Hemry today. He was all done with the 6 does he was keeping company for 5 weeks now. He has grown. He'll be busy in May with the littles, Zarah and Penelope. Since Abby kid Iris is so small, I hope they will have small kids too.

Sandy's kids are so cute. They've been out a few days now. She is so protective of them. And Penelope does not like them at all. She is so jealous. Little Iris wants to play with them. They are alot smaller than her. And iris is almost a month old already. I need to take her to get her horns taken off, probably this weekend. They are still very small. Maybe by then, Sandy's 2 will need theirs done and I can take them all together.

I also got my friend's Jersey heifer today. She was at her friend's place trying to be bred. Hopefully it worked. She will stay here til about late Oct.-early Nov. She should be due by then if she is pregnant. And the grass will be about gone by then too. I'll put the sheep over there with her tomorrow. They were in the garden area next to the pasture and Daisy was watching them. So I hope she won't hurt them. I am going to look for some more sheep and a steer calf. I need more animals. But I had forgotten how annoying a cow can be that's by herself. She won't be for long though.

I hope your pig had her piglets by now, Sherrye.

And that everyone is having fun with their kids and lambs and calves.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  4:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Happy Easter everyone.
Hope all the mommas and babies are doing well.
How is the heifer working out Kris?
Got a housefull coming for dinner tomorrow.
MIchele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  7:05:08 PM  Show Profile
howdy, i am hoping all you girls are doing good. are all the babies born yet? so i spent the day giving cow baths. i scrubbed their hooves too. tomorrow the hoof guy comes. he is here mainly for maudie. she is our cripple cow. shhh she does not know she is knock need. she ran in pasture the other day. well he is going to cut about 5 inches off each hoof. when we got her her toes were about 9 inches. they were curled up and over the other toe. she had corns in between her toes. so the vet trimmed as best he could with papas help. then we needed to be able to pay for the hoof man. so now we can. she is 3 months prego. he has a cow table. yipee it makes it so easy. so i chose to have all 3 jerseys done. so penelope and isabella will go over to pasture tomorrow for a pedicure. so i scrubbed their feet. penny seems to work at staying dirty and poopy. so she got a big bath. i soaped those girls up and used a brush. it got a lot of the shedding hair off too. so they are all pretty and on grass that has no poop. if penny is dirty tomorrow i will just be so frustrated. she does not get up at night to poop. shame on her. well i am going to take pics. i have never seen this done. so we are learning as we go tomorrow. hey girls what have you been up to? kris how is your project going for your csa? missing you all. i know how spring and holidays are. we just had our memorial. we pass the bread and wine. to remember what He did for us. so hoping all is well for you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone hope your Easter was good. We had my son and his wife over and her parents also. All went well and even though I had alot of cleaning and cooking to do I still really enjoyed the day. I was really tuckered out by the times chores were over and everyone left around 9:30. I guess you could say it was a good kinda tired.One of my better Easters.

My last doe Dottie who is a first timer was due Easter Sunday. Well it came and went and no labor. Last night she started into labor and went on all night. She finally started dialating around 4:30 a little and lost her plug. By 10:00 in the morning I was helping her with her first baby. He was a pretty big black buck. After about 12 minutes she had a doe thats spotted just like her but more different. She is quite striking and they are both healthy and nursed well. Dottie is a big kicky when they try to nurse. She had a long labor and it took her a rather long time to finally get down to business so she is a little stressed and super tired. But she drank her brownsugar water, ate her banana and cookie and had some grain. Gave her a pain shot and she finally layed down to rest around 4:00. She would not lay down because she kept licking and talking to her babies. She sure does love them and I think she is being a great first time mama.

Kidding season is over and I have to say I am glad cause I am tired too. I ended up with 6 boys and 3 girls total. I really like the cross with the Kansas bucks with my does. They are all really beautful and some of them have such long ears longer than usual.

Sherry glad your pig is done birthing. I know it was a long and tiring night for the both of you. Hope they are all doing well and you are too.

Well I need to check on the babies and plug them in again. She is a bit jumpy with the udder until they get latched on but she is getting better. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Guess everyone is super busy. Thought I would come on and see if anything was new. The goats here are enjoying all the lush pasture thats been growing. They won't touch their hay anymore. The Febuary babies are getting so huge. Twister my 6 week old buck kid weighs around 55 lbs. He is so big he looks like an angus bull with long ears....lol. He has grown like a weed, the other ones are growing well but he is such a mamoth.I really enjoy watching them up on the hills running and playing.

Kristin when I start getting some goat milk from my girls later on I was wanting to start the kefir again. I didn't know if you still had that going or do you know where I can order the true starter.Hoegger only sells the instant kind that can't be recultured.

Well hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the spring. I know its been a pretty one here.
Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  06:38:13 AM  Show Profile
well howdy linda and girls, yes we have been busy. so the girls feet look so good. even maudie is doing good with her new feet. we were all concerned she would go lame from the trim. so far she is doing good. our babies are due june and on. so no kids here yet. we will have one calf born here in june. finally we have some nice days coming up. piglets are doing great. have you heard about michigan. they passed the law against heritage pigs. only modern breeds are allowed in michigan. i posted on across the fence. they are killing pigs now. so sad.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  03:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Linda if Kris does not have any kefir going, I do. It is frozen right now, but once I get it going again would have plenty to share. I do have the grains.
Hope all is going well.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  06:25:02 AM  Show Profile
i know kris is busy right now. she has her grands over. her daughter was visiting also. you girls are probably super busy. i know we sure have been here. we finally had some good rain. things are greening up i sold all of sweet peas piglets. if i had 30 more i could sell them too so the ferrel pig fight in michigan is getting lots of attention. looks like papa will be going to wyoming again. kinda scarey for me. its the produce bins that are hard for me to pick up in morning. i am thinking i need a come along and a battery motor to pull the bins onto trailer.so going to start looking for a solution. we are getting the bangs done and horns off calves next week. then they come home for training. they are bred now. so i have 2 bred heifers and 2 calves to train to lead. so it should make for some fun in the sun. hoping you all have happy days ahead sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  7:16:46 PM  Show Profile
That would be great Michele! Right now the babies are taking all of the milk but I figure in about a month I will start getting some milk for the family. I was getting a little extra but Luna had triplets and I am supplementing them twice a day with the little extra I am getting from another doe plus mixing it with frozen milk from last year.

When I start getting milk for us I will let you know. I sure appreciate the offer. I will send you money for shipping and also send you some homemade soap.I never thought of trying to freeze the grains. Have you done this before and does it work pretty well?

Sherry glad you were able to sell the piggies. Hope you can find a way to help with loading those produce bins. How many of those do you pick up on a trip? Just don't overdue it.... maybe you could find someone to help you.

Hey Kris miss hearing from you. Know your busy but wanted to say hi.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  06:27:24 AM  Show Profile
hey linda, i think the over do part is just a given. the farm stays the same. just a missing strong body.LOL i hope a winch will help. i worked all day yesterday. poop scooping day. i feel great about what i got done. thing is my body did not like it. ouch today. so i am trying to get stuff done before papa leaves. i need to have the place CUTE. so another dump run after another clean up. we let the place go when i was packing for foreclosure. papa built the chick house boxes. i ordered 75 fryers. in on wed. we have most sold. i will order another batch in a few weeks. the prozac, arsenic scare made my sales go up my neighbor gave me her pasture yesterday. i am thrilled beyond belief. my girls in training will go there in day and home at night. as soon as the cows are moved we will start. we have 3 bummer calves coming in. steers with no mama. one of my customers is a forest ranger. he knows the farmers and ranchers. he buys, i grow, we share the meat. he helps pay for feed. it surely does take a village. the goats get to go down the road with 50 goats for spring. when they are ready to kid i will bring them in. this way the lawn will heal and grow for campers in june. we have some folks coming for the buck brannammen work shop. linda have you got milk for you yet? i hear screaching out side. bet its a chicken eating bird. we bought another sow. she is bred to a blue butt. great price. 3 hours away so its a lisa or papa job. i so need more mouths to feed produce to. i could have sold 40 piglets when sweet pea had hers. they are so darn cute. 3 weeks tomorrow. MICHELE what have you been up to girl? i know how spring is. when you girls tell me what your up to i get excited. i so want a small horse or mule. well yhope you all have happy fruitful days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:12:15 PM  Show Profile
No milk for me yet Sherry. I am supplementing the triplets Luna has so it will be several weeks or more before I see anything. I still have 2 more babies to dehorn and that part will be done for the year. I sure hate dehorning.They are not quite 2 weeks old so I am waiting till they are just a bit older.
Otherwise all the kids are doing pretty well considering the spring we have had. I was fighting staph on a couple of my wether kids. They are pretty much cleared up and doing well now. It was a long 2 weeks treating that.

The wind here today has been like a hurricane. Its suppose to be the same tomorrow. The past weekend we were in the 40's and rained saturday and then just was cold and gloomy sunday. I hate the raging winds outside but at least we have had sun today.

I have tried to get some of my tomato plants potted into 4 inch pots today but did not get them all done. The wind was to strong and my greenhouse is too small to accomplish that inside. I have all my rosemary plants and tender perienals in there because of the wind. I will try to work on that more tomorrow. I am also fighting a sinus infection and quite frankly feel under the weather. I don't have much get up and go.

We went to Lowe's home improvement store and bought a few cherry trees and blueberry bushes. I also bought a Chicago hardy fig. Once the wind dies down I will hopefully get them planted. I am curious to see how the fig does in our area.I also had ordered through the mail a dwarf meyer lemon, venous orange tree. I also ordered a bay leaf and another type of fig. These I put in pots and have them in the little greenhouse. I can put them outside once the temps. are more steady. In the winter they will come back in. I have always wanted to try my hand at these.So far the bay leaf is slow growing. The fruit trees have many new leaves on them.

Well off the finish dinner. Sherry sounds like you are a busy girl. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  04:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Hay ladies, not much going on here. Well there is always something, but not too exciting!
Had my wether Jack dehorned last week. We had the vet out and asked if you could do sheep. He said why not. I thought they would be too fragile. He had the one horn almost into his head. The vet gave him a shot to calm him, then shots around the horn to numb him up. And the horn was off. Not much blood, or much pain. Jack is fine, and now gets to stay and live his life out here. I was really surprised on how well he did. Phew, not like the old days when we dehorned cattle. Wish I would of done it years ago. My cow has been under the weather. She is dry for about a month now. But was losing weight. She was also chewing cud, holding her head out and cocked to one side. Turns out she needed her teeth floated. Didn't know a cow would ever have that problem. But the vet said her teeth were pretty bad. He is also not sure if she has one calf or two. She also was running a fever. So she had polyflex shots for 5 days. So she is awful skiddish right now. She fought getting the shots. Her ears are now warm, and nose wet. I didn't take her temp yesterday though. The vet had no idea what would be causing the fever. I did take her temp for the 4 days, and it was up and down. I am feeding her grain,and the best hay I got here. Hopefully she stays healthy now.
Linda I did freeze kefir grains before. You just have to get them going again, by putting them in milk, and changeing the milk everyday. This time around they will be froze for just over 2 months, so hopefully they will be good. Still waiting on two cows to calve. Boy I wish they would get it done with. They are floppy, but not much for bagging yet.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  08:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Ok this might have already been asked...BUT I need to ask again...I have a neighbor that has an AKITA and they have really heavy hair. Anyway, she asked me to see if there is anyone that sheers there sheep and if so what kind of sheers do you use? And where can she get them?? She has commercial clippers for dogs and they have broke 2 of them..they wont go deep enough down to thicker part of the hair. She thought that sheep shears would do the trick..Thanks for your help

deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I purchased a set of shears from Premier. They specialize in all things sheep. They have clippers that you can change the heads on especially for thick coated dogs. I have pyrenese and it worked on them. They are a bit pricey though. If you call them they are really great at helping you get the clippers and cutters to fit your needs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  07:23:44 AM  Show Profile
good morning, michele how is your cow doing? i hope she is fine today. i always worry too much when my cows are acting off. we were able to move maudie to pasture. she was happy to get out there. we moved a steer in with her. i will bring her home for calving in nov. we also moved the does to pasture till june. now i need to figure out what to do with the bull. flower has figured out how to get her weaning ring out. so we put a new one in. i sure hope it stays. she cries so much when she is separated from mom.papa will not be going to wyoming till june. so that gives us time too organize me. we picked up 75 fryer chicks yesterday. they are doing great. so i have 15 sold i am sure i can sell every one of them. in a few weeks i will order 75 more. they are so cute when they are yellow and new. i bought another bred sow. julie my friend will go get her tues. she is a york also. fair folks are going to more color so she is being culled. i am fine with yorks. hopefully she will give me a big litter. so today i need to clean the pen. we are getting ready for weaning the batch we have now. i could sell 40 piglets if i had them. the produce is such a blessing. rescuing bound for the dump produce has saved this farm. our stock eat a lot of free food. well i sure do miss kris these days. hope you are all doing good and the milk is flowing. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page