Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  5:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, how long does the actual process take using that iron? I always have a hard time with the buck kids. The horns want to grow back. I have taken some back to the girl who does it for me and still I get unicorn bucks. Never have had a problem with the does though.

I did sell Earl to my friend and another friend who lives past me was taking a bull to the buthcer Monday so stopped by here and picked him up. I haven't heard how much he weighed, but I bet she gets alot of meat. He was up to the top of my leg and I am 5'8. So he was a pretty big guy.

This morning I let 4 of the ewes and the 2 oldest lambs over to the South garden. I had lots of errands to do and on the way home it was raining and got harder the closer I got. When I got to the driveway it started hailing really hard. And all the sheep and lambs were under the tree. All soaked. SO I ran out and got them all back over to the other side. But there is always one ewe who can't SEE her baby that I have in my arms and goes crazy. I got them all back over and 5 minutes later it stops raining. I was soaked.

I am trying to divide the big pasture up front into little pastures so I can do the intensive grazing. But that's going to be alot of fence. I measured part of it and it's 136' from the garden fence to the fence by the road. I want to make at least 6 little areas. I could do more but I think 6 is good. I will have plenty of room for all the sheep. I will keep at least 2 ewe lambs so that will make 7 ewes. Plus I have a whole acre next door, maybe more. Plus the other half of the yard. I'll be moving sheep all the time now!

Y'all have a great weekend. We're having my mom's 80th birthday party here Sunday. So gotta get busy and clean this messy house. I just vacuumed and swept and mopped 3 rooms. That's enough for now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  8:34:28 PM  Show Profile
I hope all is going well for you ladies been busy here with Spring cleaning and chores.I'm taking a small break from riding and training and only trimming and shoeing the horses trailered into me because I have pleurisy and just feel miserable lately.Kris the iron I have is the Rhinehart non-electric iron from Hoegger and it takes about twenty minutes to heat with a propane torch and about five minutes between burnings to reheat but it does a fair job.I've found the earlier you can burn them the better.I plan to do the little doeling tomorrow.The bucks are tougher this is where earlier is better and I burn them in an overlapping circle that forms a figure eight then apply the iron directly to the little cap over the horn bud and burn that until it pops up it will look kind of like a pimple.What scurs I do get usually tend to be flimsy ones that are easy to trim back with my horse hoof nippers or hoof knife and then I either reburn them or just keep them trimmed as needed.Well take care gals!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  11:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Sandy is about to have her kids any time now!! I am so excited! Finally, some kids with long floppy ears. I will post when she has them.

Abby's little doeling, Iris, is so sweet. I have to pick her up all the time and hold her. She never complains.

All the lambs are doing great. And Fiona, the ewe that lambed Sat. Is fine. Her udder is much bigger now and she has solid poop again. The little ram lamb is good too. Now all 4 lambs play together. They are so cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile
i am so glad things went well for mama and you. happy days at your house sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  01:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathryn for that description. I was wondering if this iron was worth it or too hard. Sounds like it might be an affordable alternative. I know pay for a vet to come out and do it.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  06:30:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a rhinehart X50 and my husband made a adapter tip because their's was too short. I usually hold it down 10 seconds and 12 to 14 on the bucks and try to pop off the horn cap. I occasionly get scurs on the boys but nothing to bad. This iron holds its heat super well and I have been using the same one now for 19 years. We replaced the thermostat one time and thats been it so far.

My girlfriend has a Rhinehart X30 and it does a great job too and it cost less I think they run around $72 dollars in Jeffers. Its comes close to about the same temp. as the more costly one and already has the dehorning tip attached.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 21 2012 06:32:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  06:37:16 AM  Show Profile
hey there kris, how did earl dress out? did you get your babies? i hope all is well. kathryn i have never done horns. i think i would not do it well. kinda freaks me out.you are sure an experienced farmgirl. there are so many talented folks on here. we sold millie and daphne. it helps the hay bill for them to be sold. we sent 2 hogs to butcher and picked up a sterile boar. we will keep him a while and feed him goof food. then he will go to butcher too. he is a big boy and sad right now he hardly ate. we took him from his girls. he is called spot. sweet pea is due in 6 days to have her piglets. we have had snow so she is staying in her pig hut. penny is doing great. i test her with the cmt every day before milking. she tests perfect each time. what a relief it is. she is such a good cow. i turned all the bunnies loose. they do better running on their own. we will see what happens next. still hoping to hear all the babies are on the ground and healthy and happy for you girls. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  3:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. My friend got 60 pounds of meat. So that's $2.50 a pound. Really good deal. Looks like you will have some more pork soon. I am still thinking about a pig for us. In the goat barn the floor is getting closer and closer to the ceiling with all the straw and hay the goats waste. And the poop and all. I think a pig will root all that up for me and I can get it on the garden. I bet your pig has alot of little piglets.

Sandy is at 146 days right now. Still nothing yet. She's so big. And this morning I went out there and Zarah would not get up. I had to pull her up to see what was wrong with her. Her rear end was a mess. So I got a stall ready for her with hay and molasses water. I gave her some Kappectate and Nutradrench. Plus went ahead and gave her some Ivermectin in case of worms. ANd a shot of ProPen-G. Then later gave her a shot of B complex and some more Kaopectate. Her nose was runny too. I am wondering if she may be affected by the really high pollen we are having right now. It's been in the 2000's and today was higher still. I'll give her another shot of Pro-Pen tomorrow and more of the other stuff too. I hope she pulls through this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  3:39:10 PM  Show Profile
gads kris poor girl, sounds like you have all the bases covered. i think the crazy weather has animals all goofy. we have snow storm here. they had a 6 foot double slide on our mountain pass. 2 cars were stranded between the 2 slides. they got out hours later healthy. now we are sun shining and going to have a warm week. let me know how little zarah is doing. hugs sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  12:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Well my Doe Bella Finally kidded! She had Triplets! One doeling and two bucklings!
They are small, but the buck I used for her throws small kids. This was her first freshening. SH edid go like 6 days past my projected due date for her. But I knew she could do it. Here is a picture of the happy family.
Mom is Bella, Light colored is the doe Minnie,she weighed in at 3lbs.; then the two bucklings, Mickey he weighed in at 3.5lbs.; and Pluto he weighed in at 2.5 lbs. Pluto is the one trying to nurse [in the right spot].

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  06:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Aw! So cute. What kind is she? I have only ever had one set of triplets here.

Zarah was up this morning when I went to check on her. She looks a whole lot better. I gave her more Kao and Nutridrench. I will wait some to ive her more ProPen. But she's much better. I'll leave her in the stall a few more days. It could just have been something she ate that didn't agree with her. And I am going to stop feeding her and Penelope grain. So much better today.

Day 147 and nothing going on with Sandy. She'll wait til next week. My busiest week ever. SO much going on next week. But she does fine on her own. I have never had to help her. But there's always a first. Hopefully she'll deliver these fine and they will all be healthy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  06:58:30 AM  Show Profile
I have Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats. She is 2 years old, This was her first freshening. The buck I used for her throws a lot of triplets and mostly small babies.

I hope Sandy goes soon and gives you somewhat of a break.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile
oh i just want to grab them up and give them a squeeze. i just love babies. i am so happy to hear she did so good and 3 even. well once they are on the ground and nursing i always give a big sigh of relief. oh kris i will keep checking to see if she has kidded yet. i bet she does great too.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile
I just got some Cornish Rock chicks. A lady had them on CL, 6 for $10.00. She got them for Easter pictures and now they are too big. They are 3 weeks old. So then I had to stop at the feed store and get some more. They had some chicks that were a few weeks old so I got 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 3 Red Star. They are all over in my new "barn". We are trying to refinance the house and the mortgage lady said it's not really good to have 2 houses on the same property. So I said it was a barn. I do have hay over there. I said I can put the bales inside. And now I have 12 chicks over there. With their feed. Isn't that crazy? The appraiser will be here Monday morning. I sure hope we get approved. And I just put up real fence for the sheep. I'll have them over there too. In the barn yard.

Zarah is much better. I'll let her out tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  07:11:15 AM  Show Profile
i wanted to check in and see if you had any more kids yet kris?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  09:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Nothing yet. She's gonna wait til the middle of the week to have them. When I am not going to be here. I betcha.

I had a nearly sick ewe yesterday. I don't know what's going on, but it's just one at a time. Makes no sense to me. She's ok now. Just really heavy breathing and hot.

We are having a cold snap. It rained yesterday and last night I had to put my down comforter back on. It was cold! And today is cooler than it has been in a long time. I went to Kmart and got a flat of flowers. One of my big iron pots is an ant hill. FULL of big ants. I really don't like ants at all. The little tiny piss ants have been coming into my living room this past week. Drives me crazy. So I pulled up all the dead stuff in the pot and sprinkled DE all over. I hope that will either kill them or run them somewhere else. Preferably AWAY from the house!

I love that picture of you and Penny, Sherrye. She is beautiful. Is she also pregnant or just really healthy? She looks very big around the middle. Just wondering.

Gotta go get to cleaning. Appraiser is coming in the morning. We're trying to get refinanced. This place is a mess! Where do y'all put your trash cans? I think I'll put mine out in the back yard for now. They just look trashy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  12:48:25 PM  Show Profile
i have to laugh. every one thinks she is prego. NOT she has a huge rumen that supplies nutrients to her milk. she gave a LOT 10 gallons a day when first fresh. even now with OAD milking i get 3 gallons. she eats like a pig. i hope your refi. works. i wonder why your ewes are doing that. maybe the weather. well we got the holstein calf gone. i had also sold daphne and maddie. so less food bill. i will have to take a photo of flower. isabelles calf. we put a weaning ring in today. its a plastic safe one. i am going out now to let her out with her mom. a few minutes ago when loading bumper jasmine got out. so we chased her a while. well flower got in with her mama. its been months now since she nursed. well she went right for the boob. belle kicked her and walked away. so in went the weaning ring. she looks very funny. i will be watching for your kids to come. sweet pea is due thurs. we worked on her house more today. boy is she in milk. well happy days to all of you fine farmgirls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Day 150. Sandy is up on the hill laying alot. I just checked on her. Her udder is noticably bigger today. But no goo. She's very puffy and her tail is very loose. So any day. I have such a good feeling she's going to have twin doelings. But I am so tired of all this waiting! So much like those last few weeks of a woman's pregnancy. It just keeps going and going....

I am loving on that little sweet Iris Josey. She is so sweet and so lovable. So unlike her mean ole momma, Abby. She is very friendly and never runs away. I can sit and hold her and she nibbles all over. I just love her to pieces!

This morning when I opened the gate to the big pasture, the ewes all went out but the lambs got lost on the other side of the fence. The appraiser guy was here and I got him to help me herd the lambs in to the pasture with their very unconcerned mommas. He was very nice to help me do that.

And the appraiser said the inside of the house looked great. The outside of course needs some cosmetic fixing. Like painting the widow sills and the back porch-laundry room is going to need re-sided and a new door. Other than that, he seemed to think there wouldn't be a problem with the refi. I so hope it goes through. I told him all the things we have done since we have been here. We have sunk at least $50,000.00 into this place. So I am hoping the value will be at least $150,000.00. We shall see.

Sherrye, you sound like me. Every time I sell something, I get something else. Does it ever stop? I finally have gathered up and penned up all my hens but 1 wayward girl. I will never catch her, I'm afraid. I caught most of the game hens in the milkroom and 2 in the cat carrier nest box. ANd I put the other rooster on CL and sold him right away to a lady that sounds just like me. Her husband came and got him while he was out yesterday. They have Nubian and Lamancha goats. They are going to bring their youngest Lamancha doe over in a few months when I put Zarah and Penelope in with John Henry to breed. SO I have made some new farmer friends over a rooster sale!

It's hot today. I just got back from getting more cabbage plants and lettuce and carrot seeds to plant. So gotta go out there in a bit and get to plantin'. Y'all have a great day!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Hay girls, sounds like things are going well! That is good. Hope the babies all come into the world healthy.
We are starting to dry up a bit now. Even little changes mean alot. The frost should be out now, and hopefully when it rains it all soaks in. I have had Connie dry for a week now. She is doing fine.
Good luck with the planting.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  05:20:29 AM  Show Profile
I think today may be the day!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile
i am gone this afternoon helping a gal. so post when the babies are here. i will check when i get home. we have rain coming. so now that sweet pea has a nice hut we may have to move her. they say we could get snow i turned all the rabbits out. so i can use that barn for her. it has a concrete floor and is insulated. so i may move her today. she is due in 2 days so would rather not move her now. they say it may get nasty. she does not have a lot of room in the hut. we will see. i am getting anxious now hope it all goes well. she is carrying a large load. i am getting pig colostrum today in case. what a calm sweet girl she is. happy birthing here and there LOL sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:15:51 PM  Show Profile
OMG! OMG! O!M!G! I can still hardly believe it. Sandy was by herself behind the barn for awhile. Then she moved into the back of the barn. All the other goats had to be where she was. So I went ahead and put her in the back stall. I checked on her a few times. The last time I checked she had a string of goo. I waited and she'd do a little pushing. It was about 11:50 then. I went on in and sat down with my glass of tea. She drank some. Then she'd push a little. I finally saw the water bag. Then she'd push a little more. Then I saw a few feet. Then she'd push. Then I saw another water bag! She pushed some more and I tried to push the 2nd bag back in. When she has kids, she has them fast! So out popped the first one. It looked just like the daddy but looked like a girl head. Real small and dainty like. I was almost afraid to look. But as I was cleaning her head I lifted her tail. And almost screamed! It is a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And she has frosted long floppy ears and 2 wattles! She's so pretty. So then here came the other one. And OMG! That is about the prettiest little goat baby I have ever seen. Why are little bucks so stinckin' cute? He is all spotted with mostly white and some brown and black spots all over the place with really long floppy ears that curl at the ends. He's adorable! And she is so plain. But still cute. I am SO HAPPY!!!! And my goodness, can those 2 little tiny kids drink some milk. They are sucking Sandy dry. I gave her some grain and molasses water and hay. I am so glad this wating is finally over. And we have a pretty little pure Nubian doeling to keep. I am naming her Brie Belle. What a great day for more kids! And I am worn out. This only took a little less than an hour. She is really fast, that goat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 27 2012 12:19:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  8:11:19 PM  Show Profile
well i am soooo happy for you kris, you gotta get a pic on here. yipee happy days for you. finally a girl this year yipee yipee

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  04:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Yaaayyy on the goat babies. They do sound so cute and cuddly! Hope all are doing well.
Sherrye good luck with your pig babies coming. They are super cute as well.
Got a beefer getting closer to calving again. Maybe in a week or so. Wish they would all get on with it. this will be number 6. That would leave 2 more cows, and 2 heifers to go.
Got a bit of yard work done yesterday. The wind kicked up real hard in the afternoon. wow. But the ground is drying out, and we needed that to happen.
MIchele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  06:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi there! I have been stalking this group since we bought our two Jersey heifers last year, and now we are milking!!! Hubby worked in a small dairy in high school (ages ago!), and we are doing pretty well. One of the cows is very cooperative, we are learning along with the other. We left the calves on them, and are seperating them during the day. We are loving it! In fact, we just bought 5 Alpine bottle babies, 4 girls and a boy, to raise up for dairy goats we love it so much!

Anyhoo. I have a question. I know HOW to make butter from long, long ago, but how much cream do you save up to make it worth the effort? I have a little more than a quart of pretty heavy stuff. Granny used to let it sour a bit before she made butter, but I was so little I don't remember how much she used, and I don't want to sour what I have, only to make a little bit.

Thanks!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
www.diamondbsheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page