Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  05:55:13 AM  Show Profile
No kids here yet. But any time now. I sure hope they have easy birhts. Reading all about some of your does is a little scary. I've only had one really scary birth where the kid was upside down and all wonky. But turned out ok. He was always a little slow but the sweetest buck ever.

Kathryn, congrats on the new kids. I am liking that there is about a 50/50 % going on here. Gives me a little hope I might get at least one little doe again.

Angie, I can't remember if you had any kids yet?

Making soap today! It's been awhile. And planting more cabbage. I bought another flat yesterday. I'll plant them later this evening. I see kale but no spinach yet. It should have come up by now. I think I need to work that row some more. Anyway, busy day here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  10:27:48 AM  Show Profile
No kids yet this year. I have one due any day now! Her name is Bella. This will be here first time freshening. All my other does are due later this summer. I am spreading my deliveries out this year so I can work with some of my first time moms. And keep me in milk longer.

Kristin- how did your soap turn out?

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  3:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!I hope all is going well for everyone.The new kids are doing great and I'm still waiting on Ginnie to kid,she has kept me guessing all day because she has been kind of quiet and not eating as voraciously as usual so we shall see,once she kids I wont be expecting any more til late May or early June.It has been alternating between chilly and somewhat warm today I put some knitted sweaters my Mom made on the kids because it's due to get cold tonight.I didnt bother getting them on the bottle and am just going to rear the kids on the dams like I always have,there just seems to be so many issues to arise with bottle feeding so I will go with what has always worked for me.Kris it sounds like you have been really busy I am no where near close to gardening yet.What kind of soap did you pour?I poured a batch of castille soap recently and am anxious to make some with goat milk.Well take care ladies!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  4:01:36 PM  Show Profile
We made 2 batches. The first a castille with a little lavender and Ylang Ylang EO. The 2nd is a Summer Citrus soap. I found the recipe in a book from the library called Making Soaps and Scents by Catherine Bardy. I have been saving my orange peels and drying them then putting them in my coffee grinder. It called for a basic vegetable base with 2 oz. of bees wax. Then when it just starts to trace add 15 drops orange EO and 10 drops of lime or lemon EO. I used lime. Then 1/4 cup finely grated lime peel and 1/2 cup of the ground orange peel. It smells so good and is pretty with the green lime peels and orange rind. I will check them both tomorrow about this time to see how they did. I actually looked at the castille and it is setting. So this has gotten me in the mood to make more soaps. I have 2 quarts of frozen goat milk left that I might try to use with the lye. I will just get it icey then add to lye. I think that's the trick to not burning the milk. Anyway, this little book has alot of really good recipes. I might try the cinnamon ginger next. But I need ginger EO. It calls for 1/2 an oz. Is anyone else making soap?

Angie, I am going to wait a few months to breed Zarah and Penelope. I want milk all year too. But Penelope is still small. Zarah is getting taller and will be big like her mother Abby. But I am still not sure about Penelope yet. She'll be 1 in late May.

Abby is at 149 days now. Still nothing. But she sure has ballooned out the past few weeks. I was thinking she'd only have a single but now looks like twins. But maybe a big single. And her udder is huge and not hard.

Katheryn, I hope I never have to bottle feed kids again. That is alot of work and then they jump all over me and knock the bottles out of my hands. I think that one time I did it I cussed so much. I don't know how people do it. I guess that's where the buckets came in. Lots of dairies use them. But then that seems so cold. I did like the snuggly part and I did get to know them more that way. I don't know.

I jsut planted 63 cabbage plants and 9 Swiss Chard plants and 2 packs of SC seeds. I had to cut some of my fence I got for the sheep and make like a tent over all those plants to keep those darn chickens from eating these too. I hope I don't go out in the morning and not see any leaves again. Then I tilled 2 more rows about 3' wide and about 100' long. I need to egt some potatoes planted next. So much to do!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  5:44:41 PM  Show Profile
oh my gosh kris, look at you go girl how exciting. you are on a roll now. i am glad you decided to do this. i know you had been wanting to. i bet your place is just cute. did you say you do the farmers market too. all these babies coming.
angie i am trying to do that with my cows. my only downfall is they are due in winter months. such is life
jen i hope this finds you feeling better? i hope your missy is bred too. keep us posted i am so sick of looking at the back end of my cows. geesh well i hope you are all having a fine day. sherrye

kathryn, how are those bottle babies doing? i just love feeding bottles just the opposite of kris. LOL

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  5:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey sherrye!! I have a question for you. Was it you that got a turkey hen named Big Mama a few weekends ago? My friend Dee said someone named Sherry took her, and for some reason I thought of you!

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  06:26:56 AM  Show Profile
I checked the soap this morning and they are nice and hard! I am going to make some more later when I get these out of the molds. I am finally getting in the mood to make soap again. It really is so east to make. I need some more EO's and more oil. And I want to render some beef fat. On my way to the slaughterhouse now so hopefully they'll have some.

No goaties yet. Still waiting. I hate this part.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  07:14:43 AM  Show Profile
i picked up some turkeys a while back. i dont think its was me. kristi its good to hear from you. how are your goats? i am thinking you have goats and horses still.

Kris glad your soap turned out. how much E.O. are you using per batch? i find mine the smell fades after a month or so of curing. you have me excited now to do some batches. i like the variety. i think i will do a dirty hane scrubby type bar. my kids sat i need to. they like it for scrubbing dirty feet.
well the cat is in heat. she was a stray some one dumped. she is making us crazy. she was gone 38 hours. i was heart sick. now she is back but yeowling. so she is in cat jail yeowling in the house and rolling around on everything. she is going in to be fixed for sure i need to move some pics then i can post a pic of penelope. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  07:17:25 AM  Show Profile
My doe Snackcake delivered yesterday. She was overdue by 2 days which had me concerned. She finally went into labor early yesterday and around 2:00 I put her in the stall. She had been really passing alot of stuff which had me concerned. She hardly pushed so I knew something was wrong. I went in and pulled a 12lb beautiful buck and he looks like he had passed away the day before by the way his eyes looked. The other buck was 11 lbs and he was alive and also beautiful. I cried for the dead one but was thanksful she has one to love and care for after all that work she put into them.
Snackcake was so hungery after her delivery and thirsty. She drank and entire show bucket of warm water with brownsugar in it. She ate a banana and some grain. Then she wanted my pepsi so I poured that in her feeder and she drank that too. Thats why I named her what I did.
I took the little one that had passed up on the hill to bury under the oak trees under my huge rock pile. He will not be alone for there are a few others there from the past. Anyway mama is doing great and so is her son.

Kris the citrus soap sounds really nice. I still have alot of soap left from the fall so will not be making any soap just yet. Kris are you planting for a csa this year or just the farmers market? It sounds like you are planting a huge garden. I guess you are excited about getting that going. Its still to early here for that. Right now as I type it is pouring rain and suppose to cool down. I am so glad she kidded yesterday and not in this storm like my last doe did.

Kathryne glad you finally got a doe. This year I guess I am just going to have bucks. I have never had this happen before. Its really quite strange. I have 2 more does to go and then I am done for the year.

Sherrye I did manage to see your picture of your pig and she sure is a cutie. I bet she has a lot of piggies by the way her belly looked.

Well need to go and check on the new mama and baby. These boys sure are super cute this year.I love to kiss them on the sides of their faces. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  07:34:58 AM  Show Profile
My goats are doing well. I had an absolute nightmare of a breeding season, so only my Saanens are due to kid soon. It will be nearly July before my Boer girls kid. I am never again relying on outside bucks. I have purchased my own. I will be bringing him home as soon as his blood work comes back negative. He is a very handsome (I think) yearling son of Capriole's Tap Out. This is Benny. CSG Mercedes Benz

I was just sure it was you who answered her ad for her turkey! She said her name was Sherry and that she milked cows! :-) Oh well. I was just going to say that if you were at Dee's house, you almost certainly passed mine to get there. We only live about a quarter mile apart. Must have been someone else though.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  11:17:52 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a buck! He's huge and looks very well fed and healthy. He looks like a small horse. I hope you get to bring him home soon. I know what you mean about having your own bucks. I went through that the last several years and it sure gets worrisome. I am keeping my Lamancha buck and will use my friend's Boar buck next Fall for Sandy.

Sherrye, I sometimes just put several drops in my French milled soaps but will probably use more like a 1/2 oz. or so from now on. This citrus soap on;y called for 15 drops of the orange and 10 of the lime. But it has the peels of the orange and lime too. I have another recipe I'm going to make later that calls for a veg. base then just at trace add fresh ground coffee beans and fresh ground oatmeal. It's for gardeners and for the kitchen to get off oniony smells and fish smells. And it looks pretty too. There are so many I want to make but need more EO. I have gotten all my cats and dogs fixed over the years just because of that. Stella is going to the vet next week to get spayed.

Linda, I am sorry your doe lost her little buckling. But she does have the other one, thank goodness. It's still sad to lose one. I might have to come visit in the Fall and see your bucks. Just might bring one home with me. What colors are they so far? And I will be doing both the farmer's market (on Wed.) and CSA (on Sat.) I am excited and very motivated right now. We are supposed to get rain later. I talked to Leslie in Knoxville this morning and it was raing there. So it's headed my way.

I am getting anxious for my kids now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  1:40:13 PM  Show Profile
So you are doing the CSA this year. That is so cool. Do you already have people signed up? I hope your garden produces a ton of produce.

Yeah its a bummer about the buck kid. I wish I knew what makes them pass away like that while they are still inside their mama. I could tell he had been dead several days or more before she went into labor. I think thats why she was overdue because he could not line up. A week before she was due she had watery stuff leaking out. I think his sack had ruptured then for whatever reason.
Was glad for the live one though. You are more then welcome to come and visit. I usually try to move the bucks out by weaning because I have no place to keep extra bucks. I don't have much barn space much less a flat space to build more. If no one wants them for bucks I end up wethering them. At least they can still run with the herd then.

So far I have a buck thats like a sable coat. Brown under his fur and kinda frosty on the outside with black legs and highlights. I have another buck who is mostly a deep redish brown with white. The third buck Twister is mostly black with long black ears.The last one had alot of white with deep brown markings with brown ears that look like they have white lace on the ends.I wish I could post pictures but my internet is so slow I could not get it to work.
The bucks that I bought from Goddard farm crossed super nice with my does. I am very happy with them. Just would like to see what a doe would look like this year. I think I traded places with you this year Kristin. Now I am having all the bucks. Your turn for the does.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I sure hope I get all girls. Wouldn't that be something? I think I would be really shocked if that happened. I am just hoping to get at least 1 girl from Sandy since I bred her with a Nubian this time. I will keep it if she does. I am having a hard time finding any does right now. I missed that good deal on the 2 year old with the kid for $175. And last Fall I could have gotten 2 beautiful Nubian yearling does for $150.00 for both of them. I am still kicking myself over that. So next time I see another one I am getting it. The guy that had the 2 does has alot of does and they are all having kids so maybe this coming Fall I can get a few from him.

I have talked to several people about the CSA but haven't figured out how much to charge yet. I saw some beets coming up today while I was checking the garden!! And some onions too. With this rain it should help get things going.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  07:11:28 AM  Show Profile
i just remembered it was me. oh how funny. i picked up a white one. i forgot about her since she is down the road. remember where i have my cows? thats where big mama and a bronze hen and tom are living. she is doing great. i have them there for watch dogs sorta. my friend has some one prowling at night. so the turkey tom will gobble when something moves at night. she has cameras and microphones out. so i was close to your house? i would love to see you again. well i need to read all these posts. have not finished. wanted to jump in and tell you it was me.LOL sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  05:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Abby is showing some signs this morning. I hope she has something today. She's at 152 days now. I saw some goo this morning. And she's wanting to hang around the barn. So hopefully she'll have some kids today.

And I think poor little #0001 is going to be the only lamb here for ahwile. Those ewes are just hanging on to those lambs as long as they can. I went ahead and put them all in the yard next door for the day.

And I have decided that I cannot keep Earl any longer. I have him in the back yard and he is lonely. But the goats are out back too. He is fenced in. But the other day Zarah was in heat and Earl and her were going head to head through the chainlink fence and he tore off 2 of the fence post hooks and the fence was almost off. But she was teasing him bad. She's a bad girl. So I had to put her and Penelope up in the stall and they hated that. I went ahead and let them out this morning and all seems calm out there so far. I had to wire the fence back to the posts. So anyway, I called my friend Sarah and she's going to buy him. She's called a guy out here past me and he's taking a cow in to the slaughterhouse Monday afternoon and will come by here to get Earl. I am going to try to shear him before he goes. He's just getting too big for his britches and I am afraid he's going to hurt me or someone else. The other day a friend was here and he was up front then. He tried to jump the fence and got his back foot stuck in the fence. He was hanging there upside down. We had to lift him up to get his foot out. He could have broken his leg. So he has to go. I have a group of Girl Scouts that want to come see the farm and that would be a big liability if he were here and got out and tried to kill some little girls. So 2 more days and he's gone.

Some people don't understand how anyone can do this. But when they get to be a neuisance, you just have to make the choice. Just like with pigs. They are so cute when they're small, but they grow like weeds and are trying to get out all the time and are just annoying. So it's not a problem at all for me to do this. I will miss him and he is a good bay but I cannot take that risk of someone getting hurt. Or him hurting himself. Or another animal. And his legasy will be carried on if these ewes will ever lave these lambs.

SHerrye, you are so funny! You sound like me sometimes.

Kristi, did you get that big boy home yet? Do you know how much he weighs? He looks at least 200 pounds or more. He's a handsome guy. What's his name?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  11:43:46 AM  Show Profile
Sheep are sheared! And hooves trimmed. Except for Loco Lucinda. She didn't want any more to do with anything. She was done with us. Her feet didn't look too awful bad. And she had a little udder but not much to tell if she was pregnant. If she is it will be a few months more. But she is solid black now. Solid. I can hardly see her in the shade. It took forever to get all her wool off. It's so thick. I hope I can learn to wash and spin all this wool now. And I am so glad that's over! I'm glad we don't have to shear Katahdins.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  3:51:26 PM  Show Profile
It's a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks just like her daddy, John Henry. Gopher ears and all. I can hardly belive it. I had to feel a few times (I know, but that's how I do it, then watch them pee) and there ain't a thing back there! Abby keeps pawing around so I don't know if there is another one and the first one isn't telling. But she's had someof momma's good colostrum and is looking good. I took Abby a gallon of molasses water and she drank the whole bucket in 2 seconds flat so I am going to take her a little more and see if there's another kid yet. But I am happy if that's all she has! A girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  4:10:43 PM  Show Profile
YIPEE YIPEEoh i am so happy for you kris you must get us a pic. happy days for you. let us know if there is another.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  06:40:05 AM  Show Profile
She only had the single doeling. This must be the year of the singles around here. That little one is so adorable. She reminds me of when I went to look at goats I saw Abby's daughter at the time, Victoria. I so wanted her but the ladies son kept saying no way was I taking her because she was his. So I got Abby. And since this little one was born the day after my mom's 80th birthday, I think I will name her Iris. Then my niece's birthday was the day before that so her name might end up being Iris Josie Belle. And I had to check again this morning. She was peeing when I went in and she is still a girl.

I had to milk Abby because she is so big and the baby cannot possibly get all that milk. So I got about a half gallon bucket this morning. I know she felt better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  07:50:37 AM  Show Profile
well darn she only had one. it is great it was a girl for you. i hope sandy has 2 girls for you. hope all is good for every one today sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  5:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Yay way to go Abby!!! Glad you have a little girl. Sounds like your on a roll. Hope they keep coming out girls.

I had all my moms and kids out today in the pasture with the rest of the herd. I stayed out with them to make sure everyone behaved themselves. Poor Snackcakes baby won't follow her when the herd moves. She yells at him and he just keeps laying there. So I pick him up and move him so she can be with the rest. Otherwise she yells till it drives us all crazy.It sure was a pretty day today. It actually was in the 60's and I was getting hot being outside. Tomorrow we are suppose to have thunderstorms again.

I am so pooped out from collecting and burning wood for brushpiles and 500 other things that I did outside today. I felt like rover and I was all over the farm and up and down the hills. I am going outside to milk Snackcake out some to relieve some of that milk so she can relax and then I am going to set on the couch for a little while and vedge out for awhile.

Hope everyone had a nice day today and was able to enjoy a little sunshine.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  07:18:20 AM  Show Profile
i see from reading and getting caught up its SPRING. we have some light snow today but overall way nice here. i sold millie on craigs. i sold too low but needed the cash and her gone. sweet cow but too nervous for me. so if i decide to sell daphne too. not sure yet. she is a black dexter. she is 8 months old. very sweet girl. we had big wind and it blew down one of my fence panels. then it blew my double wood doors open to the road. a guy came in and said your goats are on the road. i said no i hust put them away. he said the gate is open and they are out. oh my so rodeo round up began. as soon as we could get on in one would get out. papa forgot to put the 2/4 on gate to keep it closed he is really bad at closing ANYTHING. so far pennys milk is perfect. i am selling it for $10.00 a gallon. folks are buying it. i hope she stays well. her milk is sooo rich creamy yellow and tons of cream. i am so happy for her to be well. i need to go out and pick up junk and brush here too. not today though too snowy. so today i am perming my hair and making soap. any one else doing more soap? how did your soap turn out kris? are there any soap threads running now? well happy days to you all. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  1:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you ladies are all super busy it's been that way here too,we've had nice weather so I've been training those colts as much as I can.Linda I'm sure sorry to hear about the little still buckling but I am glad that your doe is alright after.Kris congratulations on your little doe kid I was so happy to get one out of Nellie and then Ginnie turned right around and kidded two bucks!Aaargh!So I am back to three bucklings and one doe just like last year.My hope is that Bonnie will have a doe or two when she kids in May or June.Kris I think you're doing well to sell Earl I would hate for you or anyone to get hurt by him.I sold a big Alpine buck years ago who tenderized me against a fence post,he was always aggressive but I kept him for his bloodlines and wished that I hadn't because he kicked my butt.I found a home for Friesian cross horse and he left today to one of my training clients so he got a great home and I will be starting his Dressage training sometime this Summer.Well ladies got to go saddle up!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. It's been so beautiful here this week, I have been outside more than in. There is SO much to do.

I have put up the rest of the fence around the garden on the other side of the driveway so the sheep can go out there. Also finished up the chicken coop run. I found some of that orange plastic stuff the road people use. It was just $25. for a 4'x100' roll. So that went around the bottom of the yard. Then 2 rolls of bird netting went on the top. So they are set and enjoying being outside again. They have so much room but are contained for the summer garden season. I don't feel so bad for them now.

Also the sheep have been lambing and they apparently need alot fo help. I have had to pull 2 lambs so far with 1 more to go any day and another in a few months. It seems the Katahdin-Dorper need the help. The lambs are SO big and the birth canal isn't. Had to call a friend up the road to comw hold Gracie yesterday so I could pull her big ole ram lamb out. It had been a few hours of pushing with no advancement at all. Anyway, he is alive and doing well so far. Poor Leslie is getting lots of phone calls from me!

So I still have the yard to mow. Was going to do it yesterday afternoon but had the lambing going on. And need to work on some flower beds. And mulch. And wanted to make some more soap. And bread. The list just keeps growing.

Also took Stella to the vet yesterday to be spayed. Went and got her this morning. She has a bacteria but no worms. So she is on antibiotics to clear that up. I guess I need to cook her meat from now on.

I hope all is well with all the new kids and calves and baby horses and lambs. I will try to get some pics up soon.

Oh, I tried Abby's milk this morning. I got a quart and strained it and put it in ice water real quick. It's good! She has got THE CUTEST little princess doeling ever. She is such a sweetie and a big diva already. And so tiny. I called my friend to make sure she can do her horns and she said sometimes those little doe kids can take up to a few months for their horns to come through. Maybe by then Sandy will have had her kids and we can do them all together. I am thinking obviously that Sandy was bred on the 28th of Oct. so she will kids at the end of March.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  2:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! I hope all is well for you and that you also have nice weather where you're at.It has been unseasonably warm here but so warm and nice and even though the weather is warm I'm taking a break from these dang horses and getting my garden beds dug up and bordered.All the kid goats are doing well,I spent the day yesterday disbudding the three buck kids.I have a non electric iron that I heat with a propane torch and that's a long process but I'm too cheap and old fashioned to buy an electric one when this one works but takes longer.I didn't do the doeling,like you said Kris those little does take alot longer to erupt but the little bucks were sure due to get thier little heads crispifried.I have one bottle baby that Ginnie rejected and it was hard to do him because he follows me everywhere and seems so attached to me,it feels like a betrayal but is so much better for them in the long run.Did you get Earl sold Kris or have you decided for sure on him?I'm curious.Well take care ladies!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page