Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile
I had the pleasure of getting to visit Linda yesterday with her fresh adorable boys on the ground. They were so stinkin cute! I have baby goat envy.
Linda is such a good goat mommy; she knows it all!
& that big boy had the most unique color. His coat looks like an expensive sable fur coat. Absolutely gorgeous!
We had a nice visit; usually when I see Linda I am in a rush.
My goats are doing great too; we take them out to walk them almost every day; this mild winter has been nice because we still have some green honeysuckle they can munch on.
Man, all of you gals on here have so many more animals than me! I guess that can be good or bad, depending!
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Linda I'm glad you got your kids and that all went so well with your young doe,your little bucks sound so beautiful.You are right that all these births are such a blessing,I do so enjoy all the little kids and am looking forward to having some kids but I also sure hope I get some does this year and not another round of all bucks like last year.Still nothing from Nellie she just may make it to her projected due date.Her udder is much better,it got real swollen and painful and would just spray milk when she kicked it whci she did in agitation at it so I milked her a little and compressed her udder with steamed cabbage leaves and it seems to have abated alot,still filling out but not getting painful and swollen like it was.She never fully dried up from her last lactation and I think next season I may not breed her at all but just milk her through,she has good potential for doing that though her sister dries up like clockwork.Kris do you have any little Sandy's yet?

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  07:56:48 AM  Show Profile
what full rich lives we have. i think to train horses would be so rewarding. i am trying to teach my cow to carry me. not sure how to turn her. so i have been walking her. then when i want to turn i lay the rope on her neck. now i am walking also. not actually riding yet. we have had the pleasure of 3 new customers this week. so i am going to be having summer kids. i like it better for selfish reasons. first is its easier for me. i cannot do as good a job of care if needed in winter. so the girls are just now bred. i am not sure about betty boop. never have i seen her cycle or get bred. there are 2 bucks in so she must be. ???? i hope you all will post baby pics. they are so darn cute so kris your getting pigs. honestly girl my pigs love the cooked trim. i have calm happy healthy pigs. our beef trim here is free. i control amount each one eats. i want to post a pic of our girl sweet pea. we also have woody the heritage guinea hog. he is very gentle. all he ever really thinks about right now is food and rooting in the dirt. he is 4 months old. they are our new additions to the farm. so i am just learning to post pics again. here we go.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  08:04:54 AM  Show Profile
we have woody for a mascot for our farm tours. we also will breed with him for a smaller butcher pig with more lard. we have survivalists that want to render fat. my yorks and hamps a super lean. i find the beef grows a much better animal than soy and corn pellet. they eat meat in the wild. we also feed all the fruit and veggies they can eat. when we have it we feed spent pressed safflower meal from a small place doing safflower oil and also a barley run now and then. kisten is in the pic with me. it ended up being 62 degrees that day. next morning windy and snowing. LOL well here is a glimpse of our life here in the high desert. i just bought a camera, yipee. it takes photos and does video. it takes photos of the operator and the scene. way cool. i love my computer whiz friend. it was his now its mine. $ 40.00 so i hope its ok to post pics. i love pics happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Linda, congrats on nice healthy kids already! And can't wait to here about the next ones. Hope you get some girls.

I am still waiting. I know Sandy was in standing heat Oct. 28th. So she'll be another month. Abby is getting an udder so she may go first. She always does. Sandy seems to always be the last one to kid. I did notice this morning Sandy's udder is a little more solid and not droopy like it has been. So she is getting there but a little more waiting for her.

I think we will be having lambs first. Gracie is really big. So I am thinking she will go first. Then Fiona, then Leelah. But that could all change. Y'all know how that goes.

Lisa, how many goats do you have and how many are pregnant? And when are they due?

Kathryn, I so hope you get some girls too. You sound like me with all your boys. Sandy has not had a gilr in 4 years so she better change this time. At least give me one doe kid. And I know how you feel about them. But surely someone needs bucks or wethers. I just sold my Nubian buck and my Lamancha wether. The guy said he's going to use them for brush clearing. You should go ahead and advertise now and maybe someone wants a cute little bottle kid.

Sherrye, post all the pics you want. I love seeing everyone's animals. And of course to see a picture of you is great too. And what a pretty little granddaughter you have! That sow is huge! And yes, I am wanting more pigs. I am trying to figure out where to put them this time. I think out back so they can root up around all those old stumps. I wish we could get a bush hog back there. Maybe after pigs. And I can cut a door to the back stall for them. That might work. The goats will still have plenty of room back there. Plus the back yard. Then when the pigs are done we can get a plow back there and plant some grasses.

It is beautiful here. I want to start the garden. It's actually dry out there right now. But we are supposed to be getting rain later this week. Darn. I need a tiller bad. And fencing for around the garden so the sheep can still go over there. And fencing for around the apple and pear trees. So much to do and so little money. Isn't that always the case?

Y'all have a great Sunday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  04:47:49 AM  Show Profile
Hay girls, sounds like everyone is busy busy busy. Great pictures Sherrye. I do have one thing, that I have heard about feeding pigs meat. They say it makes them cannibalistic. Don't know if it is true or not, but maybe something to check into? Kristen, your weather sounds wonderful! They are talking 12 inches or more for us Tuesday night, into Wednesday. Oh yippee. Tuesday morning I will be preparing. Feeding more hay, run and get grain made, and putting the bucket on the tractor. I so wanted this winter to end early! It has been a mild one so far. All the baby goats sound so cute. Hope everyone gets little girls!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:31:56 AM  Show Profile
howdy, i think it must be raw meat. mine have never been aggressive. we have been doing this for years. they are a lot of fun. we had good weather for a few days. now we just got 5 inches of snow. like you michele ours has been a gentle winter. happy to hear you got some stock sold kris. linda would love pics more and more pics. it is fun seeing into others lives and farms and critters. our pigs learn the hot fence right away. then we usually never have them get out. when we tried to move sweet pea it was sooo hard. i had to show her several times that i had moved the wire. then it took 20 minutes of coaxing to move her past where it had been. i doubt we would have it be this easy with out hot wire. they just love to root. so they can root them selves out of the pen. we raise the wiire as the pigs grow did i mention we just picked up 3 more. one girl 2 boys. they are so cute when little. our diet here is so rich they still have milk poop runs, poor babies. i sure know the getting ready for weather michele. i am happy to say my milk room is clean. i have a girl coming this morning to work for food. she will muck stalls and do produce. she was a sausage customer i found on craigs we cant scoop poop on lawn though. its covered in snow. i am waiting for a cord for my camera. when it comes i will post my farmgirl milk room. i hung white string lights inside. i washed it all down. found some of my old farmy stuff. i have some branding irons too. still not sure how to hang them yet. well guess i need to get dressed and feed. not looking forward to going out. once i am out and moving i love it. at least its a dry snow for now. who is still milking cows or goats? i am not breeding my jerseys till later in year. so they are still in milk. penelope is doing better it appears. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  12:02:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!
It's a beautiful day here but I have been really dragging today,just not feeling too well for some reason so all I've done today is feeding chores and putting that Thoroughbred in the long reins,he's doing real well.I have another horse I just took on,the lady was giving him away,he was given to me with a lower leg wire cut that's been terribly infected and he has never even been halter broke so we had to drive him into the trailer,just last night I got a halter on him and was able to ace him and clean that wound,I don't like to push a horse real fast but his leg needs care so I have it sweating out with some slippery elm today and I hope that helps to draw out some of the gunk and goo that has caked up on it and so I can better see what I'm dealing with,to make it harder he is a poofy footed Friesian cross and all that ugly leg hair he has is bound up in the mess,when I get him patched up all that poofy foot hair and the overgrown mane is gone to the clippers.Anyways,Nothing much has changed with the goats,I'm thinking maybe my due dates are going to be correct after all but Nellie sure looks like she could drop at any moment,her ligaments are so soft and her udder so full but it seems like she's developing her udder more on the left than the right,this is her more productive side as it is and I hope she doesn't end up terrible lopsided.She did have some wierd little greasy clots in her milk when I milked her out a little to relieve the pressure,I hope this isn't mastitis,they were like little balls of vegetable shortening,anyone have any ideas or do you think I should be worried?I haven't had many issues with mastitis and the few times I have I didn't notice any change in the milk composition except some color and thickness.This milk seemed fine except that when i strained it out there were those little clumps.She is prone to getting blockage in her teat,so called "milk stone" but I have never actually seen what was stopping up her teat,it would just start flowin again after spraying all over for awhile.
Sherrye I love the pig pictures and so nice to see a picture of you and your Grandaughter Kristen,I also like all the pig info,I hope to raise some pigs sometime soon when we get our other half of the acreage opened up and so I'm taking note of your good feeding advice.
Kris if Nellie and Ginnie hold to their due dates then you and I might be getting kids near the same time,they are due on the 10th and the 11th though last year both of them gave birth on the same day,I wonder if that will happen again.
There is a friend of Raven's who really wants to get into goats,she's always asking if she can come milk and help us with the kids,her parents agreed to buy her a doe if I have any to sell and if I have any bucks I will probably give her one (castrated of course) to raise as a companion,she's a sweet little girl and said she would be quite happy to "help me out" with my excess buck issue.
I sold all my bucks from last year but they were from really well bred bucks and while my buck is well bred he's not very proven yet and there are a couple things I don't like about him so I'm not sure if any of his offspring bucks will be passed on for breeding so I may raise them for meat or try to find homes for them as bottle babies.
Used to be some of my close friends would take my culled bucklings soon after they were born for meat but they have since moved away so I need to find a new "milk fed cabrito" outlet.
I did have a question for you ladies,I have only bottle fed babies just a few times and have never used milk replacer,for those ladies who have used milk replacer what formula/brand do you recommend?
Also for the babies who will be leaving my place as bottle babies to those who will be using milk replacer how should I start them on the milk replacer,right off the bat from the beginning after the colostrum feedings or should I go to milk and then change to the milk replacer?
I usually have always reared the kids on thier dams and only occasionally would have bottle babies that I fed goat's milk but never had a need for milk replacer,I just want to make sure I get them started right on it so this girl doesn't have any problems with her kids,the ones that stay with me will be fed goat's milk though.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,well ladies I'm going to go peel the wrappings off that poofy footed shaggy horse that I didn't need and see how he's getting along on that leg,I will check back with you later,all take care!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  04:30:44 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with the horse Kathryn. Poor guy.
I have never used milk replacer on calves. I know alot of dairy's, the calves get the colostrum, and go right onto milk replacer. Not sure if cows and goats would be the same, but I would think so.
Sounds like you have had success with feeding meat Sherrye!
I like to gather as much information as possible and then decide what I want to do. Your milk room sounds neat.
It is already snowing this morning. Oh joy. But we always can use the moisture.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:17:29 AM  Show Profile
well howdy michele, we have snow here too. they say 3 more days of it. it is 10 degrees out this morning. wow= my friend called yesterday she said have i got a deal for you. they rent since they lost their farm. she is now evicted from the house they rented. the bank is taking it back from owner. we were able to get 6-25 foot portable panels and 10 shorter ones. all for 500.00. i put 100.00 down and will make payments.this is wonderful. it gives me more ways to move stock. we will eventually use them for pigs i think. i so could not afford it but did it any way. timing and opportunity came together. so now i want the snow to go away. then i can set up my new used panels. i have never used milk replacer either so no info from me. i am impressed kris that you can plant now. we are still too cold let us know when babies come. well better get geared up to milk happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  09:01:21 AM  Show Profile
I have onle ever bottle fed goat kids one time and that was one time too many for me. Never again unless I have to. And I gave them straight goat milk. I never used milk replacer. And I raised 2 calves on goat milk too. I did buy a bag a calf replacer but never used it. I felt too bad to give it to them after I read the label. And I had enough goats to milk at the time. So it just worked out. I will not bottle feed goat kids again if I don't have to. I can wait a few weeks for milk. You can't drink it anyway for at least 2 weeks so why not let the kids have it. Then after 2 weeks they get put up at night so I can milk in the mornings. Works out great for me. But I know some people sell the kids right away and they have to drink the milk replacer. I have not heard anything bad about it. I had a friend though who just bought store cow milk and gave to her goat kids. They did fine. Lots cheaper.

Sherrye, I am so jealous of your fence panels. That's just what I am looking for to make pig lots. They sure keep the pigs in. For a 16' cattle r pig panels here is about $20.00 last time I checked. I'm sure it's a little more now. So I think you got a great deal. Especially for the length of the 6. I hope it stops snowing so you can get to work!!

My Abby has all of a sudden gotten really big. Just from last week she is really bigger. SO maybe we'll get twins after all from her. She usually has twins. Since I've had her she's only had one single birth. So had Sandy.

Sounds, lie you up to your ears in horses there, Kathryn. I sure would like to find a good work pony for around here. And to pull a wagon or buggy for when the gas gets so high I can't afford to buy it. I think a little horse would be alot cheaper. Only thing is, I live 8 miles from the nearest store and 15 miles to the nearest town. That would be a day trip. Like back in the day when it took a few days to go to town to get supplies. Maybe I could spend the night with my daughter.

I tilled up 2 more wide rows and planted a row of red onions and a half row of the big sweet onilsn. Need another 2 lbs to finish the row. Then 2 rows of beets. I am amazed that i got all that planted in February. I need some lettuce. I think I will order some organic lettuce and Bull's Blood beets. Love those beets. Ha sanyone roasted beets? They are so good.

I hope everyone stays warm today. It's getting to nearly 70 here!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  05:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I noticed Abby's vulva was a little swollen and her udder is much bigger. So last night I got the calendar down and added up the days and she will be 145 days March 3rd. So she could really go any time now! She just started really showing the past month. No wonder. Then Sandy might go earlier too since she was with her guy the same time. But she always goes way later than the others. And I know she was in standing heat Oct. 28th. So that would put her later but if she was already pregnant and just fooling me and the buck. I don't know. We shall see. So yeah, earlier kids!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  07:06:32 AM  Show Profile
oh yipee for you. so your going to be a kid nana again. get on here and keep us posted on how she is doing. will be checking today to see if you have babies. happy birthing sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  10:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Kris it seems we're both expecting kids anytime now,I can hardly wait,I keep checking on them all the time because both Ginnie and Nellie are baggy in the rear and have full udders,they also kidded early last year about a week before their actual due date so it can be anytime,it's an exciting time and I hope you do get some twins from your does.
Ginnie is real big,Nellie is not so much but she sure has a big udder that she didn't have for her first time around last year.
The reason I ask about the milk replacer is that a couple of my kids might leave real early to go with that young gal who will be using milk replacer so I wanted to get them started off right,the remaining kids I keep will be fed on goat's milk.
The reason I thought about bottle feeding them all this year was that I just have a hell of a time getting Nellie into a milking routine,she fights and kicks and I hobble her both around her pasterns and her hocks to keep her somewhat still while I milk and I hoped that if I fed the kids rather than let them nurse that she would settle into a routine,maybe,but probably not,it's my only idea,I have never had such a nightmare milker,I tell you.
I also have troubles with getting the little doe kids weaned when they're nursing,I like to eventually turn them out all together after weaning and it seems like no matter how long they are seperated during the weaning process they go right back to tugging at the teats when they're running with the rest of the doe herd,this young doe Bonnie,Ginnie's daughter is bred herself and due to kid in June but now that Ginnie is filling up she's sneaking tugs at the udder and Ginnie is letting her.
Anyways,not much going on except waiting,my buck seems to be recovered from his urinary calculi,seems taking the baking soda out and adding vinegar and more ammonium chloride has helped as far as I can tell,I hope he has no more issues.
Well,that horse is doing much better with his leg,it is alot cleaner and starting to heal and I hope to get him in front on one of my Dressage friends who I'm hoping will fall madly in love with him and take him off my hands,he's a pretty horse if you like those poofy footed shaggy maned Baroque style horses but I am a Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse type gal and just not into anything that's poofy or wildly colored though I have had all kinds of horses,of course I like any color of horse as long as it's bay,chestnut or sorrel :)
Kris I think having a little pony like you describe would be great,I have a cart and drive my Red horse a little but we're surrounded by busy roads,I don't have the cahoneys (sp?) to get out on the road with the cart and am far away from town but it would be so lovely to be able to hitch up and go to town.
My Grandfather used to drive his Morgan horses all over his place and to his neighbors,he had both a big wagon and a sled that was so handy for winter cattle feeding,he didn't drive anywhere himself if he didnt have reins in his hand.
Well ladies,I hope all is going well for you,I'm anxious to hear of any new babies,Linda have you gotten any more kids yet? I thought you had another one due right after this last doe that kidded,I hope that's all working out well.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  2:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Still waiting for Fern to Kid. She was due yesterday and so far nothing yet. Today she has bagged up pretty good since this morning so I think she is working on it. We are suppose to have bad storms come in tomorrow and the barometer will drop. That usually sets them into motion. So I figure tomorrow when the weather hits the fan she will go. Hopefully it will hold off tonight so I can hear the baby monitor while I am in bed. If its rains then I can't hear anything so I will have to make constant trips to the barn through the night to be safe.

Not much goinon here. Managed to sneak out this morning and get some groceries and dogfood. Cleaned the mud up from the massive rain we had the day before. I could not believe how much rain we got. It was over 4 inches. Managed to clean the barn while the girls were out today. I also put Bunny out with her to bucklings. They are doing great and growing like weeds. I have a fenced in area that is safe to put mom and kids out so the other goats don't pick on the new kids. The kids have been running around enjoying and soaking up the sun. Its been a nice sunny day today. It dried out a little bit but I guess that will change tomorrow.

Well gotta run more stuff to do before feeding time. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  2:21:31 PM  Show Profile
linda, please keep us posted on mama. i hope the storm holds off for you. i sure need to go to the store not today though. those kids are so darn cute when they get out and can run. well i am going to go clean my barn. the wind is so cold i never got any panels moved today. such is life i sent another pig to butcher today. dont know hanging weight yet. it is sold. so that money will help cover the house payment for march. hope you all stay safe and warm. i hope the storms are light. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  4:21:32 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, it is hard to wean a kid when you are keeping them. It took Zarah awile to stop nursing Abby. But they have all been together the whole time and Zarah will be a year old May 25th. If you had the room you could just totally separate the kids when they are about 3 months old then reintroduce them several months later.

I live about 20 miles to the little town we used to live. Where our bank and church and pharmacy is. All 2 lane roads. There is a guy up the road that hitches up his mules and rides around out here sometimes. I'd have alot to learn to be able to do that.

Linda, waiting is the hardest part. Don't like the waiting. She'll have the kids when it's time. Like you said, during a storm or while you're gone. We had a storn last night and they're talking like some more Friday night again.

Sherrye, isn't that nice when you can sell something and pay bills? Feels good. I hope she weighs alot. And it sounds like your Penelope is doing great. Keep it up. She may just be the best cow you have soon.

I just called about an ad I saw on CL just now. This guy has Lamancha kids and some does for sale. He said a few people were just coming out to look at them. I asked if he had an older doe in milk and he has a 2 year old that just had her first kid 1 1/2 weeks ago. He didn't know if it was a buck or doe but thought it was a doe. They both sound like the color of my Penelope Jane. So they would fit right in. I asked how much for both and he said $175.00. Not too bad a price for a 2 year old first freshener. So I am going to call in the morning to see if he still has them. If he does, I'm going to look. It's about 50 miles from me.

And I am trying to get lisenced to sell goat milk for pet consumption. I called today and they are sending me all the info. It sounds like the hardest part is the labeling process. Takes about a week or so. But really, it doesn't sound like it's so bad. Since it's for pet food, they have to know all about what they eat. I can't remember if she said an inspector has to come out here too. I hope I get it so I can sell at the market. Wish me luck.

Also trying to get labels for meat. I have to go up to talk to the guy who runs the slaughterhouse-butcher shop up on the mountain. He's USDA inspected. Again, the labeling process is the hardest longest part. I have to send them a sketch of what I want the label to look like then it has to be approved. If not and they want any changes, that takes time. But I don't have lambs or pork and beef right now anyway. So I have a little time.

It got to 76 here. I mowed my yard. And did some fencing. So much to do and so little help and money. I have already spent $77.00 on plants and seeds. So far. This is just for early things. I got a flat of cabbage today. I need to egt them planted tomorrow. And I am sore.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile
oh my you are busy kris, i am wondering if you can still walk. gads you got a lot done. how exciting or you getting all lind up for sales. the pig hung at 174 pounds. yipee perfect weight. we have 2 more that will be ready in 3 or 4 weeks. i am still looking for a couple bigger ones to carry for a bit and then sell. what great weather you have had we are butt cold. i ONLY did what i had too. brrrr. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  07:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Darn chickens got in my $22.00 flat of cabbage plants I just got yesterday. I had them sitting out on my shearing stand after I watered them. This morning as I walked by I did a double take. There were no leaves at all, only stems on every single plant. I am so mad at them and at me for not thinking. I hope they will come back out. But might take awhile. I have got to catch thses chickens that are still out. I have had to chase them out of the garden already too many times. I'm thinking of some kind of cage I can set out there and only feed them in it. I might catch a few at a time that way. I think I can catch the Buffs but those game hens are a B***** to catch. Maybe I can catch them while they are on a nest. Anyway, not a good way to start a day off. Plus it's thundering really close out there. And loud!

Sherrye, that sounds like a lot of meat. You're selling the whole thing? I'm thinking of not getting pigs now. Maybe just buying one ready to go to slaughter. I sure wish we lived near you. I'd get my pork from you then. Let you do all the work!

No babies yet. I sure hope they don't have them today or tonight during these storms.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  07:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Well she had her babies yesterday when the tornadoes were roll'in through just as I new she would. She was overdue and I knew thats when it would happen.I was freaking out not knowing what to do first. I battoned down the hatches so to speak as best as I could and watched the sky and her. Then my son and I watched the rotation in the clouds on the back hill and we could here the roar so we hit the basement and I prayed hard.The last sight I had was the poor chickens being blown out from under their barn. I tried to get them in before the storm hit but they kept running from me.
Thank goodness they were all okay and not a one was hurt. After 10 minutes we came out of the basement and I went to the barn. The animals were all okay thank God and she started pushing. This baby was a huge single buck and I had to help work him out. I thought I would never get him out. He is 12 lbs..... I don't like babies that big its so hard on the mama. But I got it out and gave her a banamine shot and they are both doing great. He is such a strapping big fella and came out wanting to nurse.

We decided to name him Black Twister since he is mostly black with the longest ears you have ever seen. His mothers name is Fern and she is mostly black. His fathers name is Blizzard of Oz and he is black. He was born during a blizzard in Kansas last year. Thats where I got him from. He too was also a single large baby. I hope he doesn't throw this every time. Now I have another doe due in 3 days. So far all bucks amd no does. Never had this happen before.

Well gotta get.....have lots of mudd, trees, and clutter to clean up from the storm.All the areas around us has damage and a few deaths. It was truly scary. You all take care and I hope everyone is safe and faired well if you were in the storms path.My family and my animals were very lucky yesterday and I pray for all those who were not. My heart goes out to them.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  7:36:24 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is enjoying their new babies!!
As for me I'm working on trying to kick a case of tonsilitis on the heels of my bronchitis bout before it becomes strep. :P My immune system has been ruined for the last month.

I think Missy Moo was bred on her last heat. I saw definate signs of "activity" between her and the bull when I knew she was cycling. I'm going to keep an eye on her for the rest of her cycle and we'll hold on to the bull until she's past what should be her next estrus just to make sure she settles.
I'm in such a great mood in regard to my cow right now. When the boyfriend goes home I'll get to snuggle up with her again and I'll start working with her again to stand tied and get her udder messed with again.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

cheeselady
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

michele
waxhaw NC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile
http://levelandplumb-dale.blogspot.com/2012/03/bosky-acres.html Check out our recent on the farm cooking class. It was a great day.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Linda, that is a huge kid. I bet he's cute. And that's a great name. I am so glad you are ok and your place and animals. It sure was scary here for awhile. I was clearing out the hall closet at one point and wondering how I could get all the dogs and goats and sheep in there with me. What do people do with all their critters? I guess the animals are pretty smart. Like last year when the tornadoes hit, someone up on the mountain was trying to get their horses in their barn but the horses would not go in. so they left them alone. Later the tornado destroyed that barn. Animals are smart. But I worry about them. Janice in Kentucky said her hubby was going up to In. to help with the animal rescue up there. He's a good guy. I hope you get a girl with this next doe. Good greif, it sounds like my does giving all bucks for 3 years in a row. I said Sandy better give me a doe this time or she might end up goat stew.

Jen, if you worte the date down, in 21 days she will show signs of heat if she was not bred. It's 21 days on the dot. So keep that bull there til after then.

Michele, I posted on your post in the garden section just now. That sounds like a fun class. How far are you from Chattanooga?

Well, I think Sandy and Abby will both go about the same time. And Sandy is having some goo already. She's puffy. I will be very surprised if she goes first before Abby. It's supposed to be nice all week but 29 Tuesday night. Watch them all go into labor then.

And the 3 Katahdin ewes are getting bigger udders every day now. So they should be having lambs about the same time as the goats. That will be fine. Get it all over with at once. I just hope the sheep do ok being their first lambs. Earl is SO big now. He's up to the middle of my thigh, maybe a little higher. Pretty big guy. I think I will keep him another year. He's a good ram. Although he gets a little excited around feeding time if I am too slow for him. I put him back in the pen again to keep him away from the really pregant ewes. He's staying there from now on til I get John Henry the buck back. Then to the back yard they go.

I called the guy first thing Friday morning about the doe and kid and he said that guy that was there bought all the does. So I missed that deal. I will be looking for more though.

I can't wait to have little lambs and kids again! And milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  5:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Linda goodness I am so glad you all made it through the storm alright that must have been terrifying,I am heartsick over the losses I am hearing about.Your new little buck sounds beautiful I love black goats!Well Nellie had two kids just a little while ago this time a little buck and a doe,I've been watching her progress since noon but a little after five she finally started to push and was having a hard time there were three hooves showing the buck was in a diver position but the doe was backwards and coming at the same time so I had to push her back and get the buck out then she plopped right on out after!All turned out well and they are very healthy and vigorous and mostly solid brown with large white blotches up their sides.I will post some pictures soon.Take care gals!

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  02:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Well good morning Ladies! I have been catching up and posting a little here and there on other threads. It sounds like you are all busy!
Kathryn- I had a kidding just like that last year. Scared me to death! But when I pushed my little doe in to get her brother out who was presenting right, it took the doe some 10 minutes to get lined up and come out. Well it was too much on the Moma and the doe was slow to start. It all turned out ok, I just had to hand raise the doeling. She is now a nice little doe with the best loving personality.

Sherrye- I loved seeing you and those pictures! What beautiful pigs! We have a three year old Pot bellied pig. I swear he must be a cross. He is big. The vet last year guessed his weight at around 275lbs.! He is a little thinner now, I put him on a diet, his weewee was dragging the ground and I decided that was too fat! I let him eat about any cooked meat, raw or cooked vegs. and sour milk. He loves it!

We have so much to do and it looks like this week will be the beginning. We are moving all of our fencing around, building a new chicken coop and brooding boxes for the new chicks. There is a great example of some brooding boxes we are going to build in the newest "Out There" free magazine from TLC. I love how these open up across the front so you can clean. I will post pics as we get pens done. We are hoping to separate everything enough that we can have three-four pastures and one "paddock" for the "doe" herd and three pastures and two "paddocks" for the "buck" herd. Right now I have four bucks and whether. That is our "buck" herd, the pig hangs with them too. Then I have 10does and four whether's that make the "doe " herd. I am excited to get everything done. It will allow me more room for raised gardens as well as the large garden I have. And it will allow for more rotation so maybe we can have better pastures. The horse is going to a five acre lot we have [already fenced] down the road . She will be there with a couple yearlings. It will sure help my grass here to grow!

Well I guess that is a long enough explanation on my going ons.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page