Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  08:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Snow flurries out there and it's COLD! I went ahead and put the bucks back inside the barn in their stall with hay and water. They are nice and cozy warm in there. I just hope they don't bust out again. They actually broke the latch last time. I thought I had left it unlatched but didn't. Also left the sheep in the other side where there is shelter for them. I raked up all the loose hay from the goat yard and layered it in their stall and the chickens coop too. And the dogs are inside. So all the animals and the human are pretty warm right now. I am cooking my short ribs and will leave them in the oven all day. I am going to make some corn potato chowder for later and some meatloaf. I feel like cooking today. And hopefully my hubby will be home today. He's been on the road almost a month so far. Stupid trucking company. He's up in Ohio right now probably snowed in at a truck stop. He was supposed to be home last weekend but they sent him back up North. he was 100 miles from home too. Makes me mad. And he lets them run all over him like that. Oh well. If he gets home he'll have some good home cooked food to eat.

Hope everyone and their critters are warm this weekend. Supposed to be in the low 20'2 the next 2 nights.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:45:10 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd share some of my awwwww pictures with you! First, my registerable Nubian buckling:

Now here are my Nubian/Boer/Kiko cross boys:

Here's my little girl in her laundry basket nursery. She's now out in the goat barn too.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Awwww... They are so cute!! :o)

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679
http://farmgirlby40.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  8:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, those bucks are so cute. I like that mix of breeds. They have that little Nubian face and the long ears but a stockier boby. Very nice. I bet that little doe is adorable and sweet too. How old are the bucks? My Nubian buck is almost a year old and he's not big at all yet. That buck on the left looks pretty big.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  06:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Kim your goats are beautiful! The crossed bucks are especially handsome. Kris B congratulations on your new horse,I'm a horse gal too.Kris did your husband get home to you? My husband spent a few years on the road hauling horses for nationwide horse transportation and I got real tired of being alone all the time,especially since he went straight from the army and the Iraq deployments and right into trucking,arrrgh.Not much going on here with the goats though I am getting anxious for kids! It's been cold but no new snow so the snowdrifts are still hanging around and slow to melt.Well,I hope all is well for you ladies,stay warm!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  06:48:24 AM  Show Profile
those babies are sooo cute. i love snuggling them when they are so little. i was thinking too kris how i would not like the life of a truckers wife. i just know it must be hard a whole month he was gone. WOW i hope he is home. maybe sitting by the fire eating all the goodies you made of course AFTER the honey do list. well pretty quiet here. maudie cripple cow is NOT bred. so next heat she goes across the road. after seeing her push belle sideways i figure she can stand for a bull. MAMA you have your day planned for sure. it is still one thing i want to do. well i may buy a mule instead not sure. congratulations on your horse. do you bury your nose in her neck and just sniff? i love their smell. happy days for you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  10:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kathryn! :o) Yes, Sherry, I snuggle her all the time! My husband wants a mule, but he sometimes talks about a horse, so we'll see. Yeah, my days are full... After I get back from seeing her at the barn, I have my bottle babies to feed and let out. We finally have electric tape fencing in place, so I'm hoping we'll be able to let the goats out unsupervised very soon. We have one more row to put up, and then we need to hook it up to the charger. If left to their own devices, the girls will eventually wander off to our neighbor's rose bush or our other neighbor's fire pit, both equally attractive for different reasons: one is a nice snack, the other a very fun thing to jump off of. Yikes!

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  2:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Nope, huby is still not here. After spending the day in Atlanta getting his truck inspected, he is on his way to Alabama for a midnight run. Then he MIGHT get to come home tomorrow. And of course I have a busy day. Bible study at 1 and then my SIL is getting movie tickets for me and my daughter since he has to work. So that's going to be strange to go to a movie with my daughter when my hubby's home. But I really want to see The Vow. And we'll go to my mom's first for chocolate covered strawberries!

We are supposed to be getting freezing rain tonight and maybe snow tomorrow. Yuck! So the bucks are back in the barn. That darn Lamancha buck likes to head butt lately. And he's getting big. The latch for the gate to the stall they are in is on the inside and I have a hard time getting it all straight and he's there trying to head butt my hand, which I really need and don't want to get hurt. So I kind of pushed Tom Dooley into him to distract him. Silly goats. I am not doing anything to encourage the head butting at all.

Earl is getting a bit more aggresive. Especially when he doesn't want to do what I want him to do. Like go back in the gate. I have to push him then and he thinks I am trying to get rough and he is too. Not a good thing. I am thinking he is getting wuite big and very meaty. He is way taller than the girls now. I want to wait til the Katahdins start lambing and keep those 3 together. Then take the Finn ewes and the ram and keep them together til I know for sure they are bred. Then I think he might be going to freezer camp. Unless I can find another ram to trade him for in the fall.

Sherrye, you are having a time getting your gilrs bred lately. I hope something happens real soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  1:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Kris have you tried a vinegar water spray to discourage butting?
They really hate getting sprayed and I find this is very effective on changing some of that behavior when they get those kinds of ideas,if that doesn't work then I change thier minds permanently,as you mentioned with the freezer camp.
You mentioned in an earlier post that your buck was still small,don't worry about that,mine is still pretty small too and he's nearly a year,I had one before that stayed relatively small until his second summer and then he shot into some fast growth and caught up with the others so I hope he'll do the same.
Sorry your Husband didn't make it home,I hope he gets back there to you soon.
Having alot of Dairy Goat frustrations of another kind,just got word today that my Daughter's 4-H dairy goat leader is quitting due to health problems which is understandable and there is only my Daughter and hers in the dairy goat group but she just dropped out today and the big meeting is tonight and I also found out just today that we were elected to provide snacks and drinks for tonight's meeting that we hadn't planned to attend because of Valentine's Day plans,I don't know who decided to have this meeting on Valentine's Day anyways!
It's kind of got me a little P.Oed because we're new to the 4-H thing and so far we have not had a dairy goat group meeting that hasn't been canceled for some reason or another and it just seems to be going nowhere though we have put in our commitment of time and resources to the club meetings,etc..now they do this so I'm thinking of taking raven out of 4-H altogether now,I'm really kind of upset about this and having to figure out all this on such short notice.
Anyways,all the goats are doing well,we're starting to thaw out here somewhat but have another round of snowstorms coming in but everyone is healthy and doing well so I'm happy to not have to be worrying about or vetting goats lately after this past month of pneumonia and urinary calculi,etc..
I hope all is going well for you ladies,I'm going to try and figure out this 4-H mess,take care!

Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  3:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, please don't let this bad experience sour you on 4-h!! We've been involved with a great group and loved it! I was even a leader for a couple years before moving. Good luck with your decisions... 4-h really does have a lot to offer the kids and the community!

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  08:58:00 AM  Show Profile
My hubby did get home yesterday morning. So after eating breakfast, we went out to the swamp to fix the leaking pipe. And we did it!!! Yaeh, no more leaks and it's laready drying up. There are 3 cedar trees over there so the sun never gets the ground dry. But with no water gushing out it's considerably drier already. I am so happy. I let the sheep go over next door. And let the bucks out. And the chickens. I woke up this morning and let the dogs out and it was so foggy. It;s so pretty. Now the sun is out and all the fog it gone. I have the heaters turned way down because it's supposed to be about 65 today! And we are going up the road to a farm where I get hay for 20 more bales. I have 1 left. A friend is coming with here big trailor to get some too.

I talked to a friend who has Boer goats. I think I will sell my 2 bucks and just borrow her buck that she kept or try to buy one in the fall. I know I don't want to keep one. So I might just buy a young Boer buck every year and then put it in the freezer when I know the does are bred. Sounds like a good plan to me. And I'll probably do the same with a ram.

I have got to find someone to come shear the wooly sheep soon. I can't wait to get that wool and spin it and actually get to use it. It's really getting long.

Me and my daughter went to see The Vow last night. Her hubby was working and I thought mine wouldn't be here. But he slept. The movie was good but not as good as I was thinking. The theater was packed. But not alot of men. Lots of groups of women and girls. Pretty cool! What did y'all do for Valentine's day?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  06:43:51 AM  Show Profile
hey there kris, we stayed home for the holiday. we dont celebrate it. BUT i had an awesome day. sun was out it was warm and so beautiful. i too love the fog in the morning. we are all good here. i think a few cows might be bred now. we will see. i am treating penelope with a synergy product for mastitus. i hope it works. her old owner sent me some money to buy hay. i so think that is a fine thing for her to do we have about a month of treatment and clearing. then i will retest her for a milk culture. if one or two teats are sick still i will dry them off. i will milk the good ones. she so wants to be milked/ she is in heat today. yesterday i let go of her halter to open the gate. she looked up and bolted. i am not able to run. she ran out the gate and down the road. she was saying i need a MAN NOW. so funny now it was not funny then she could have been hit by a car. geez. so my little kisten came over yesterday. we had so much fun with our new pig woody and mama sweet pea. she held baby bunnies and was so happy. we came in and as her mom was coming in the house kisten crashed. she is type one diabetic. i tell you i get so afraid. we had tested her 45 minutes before. she was 153 and good. then she was 70. yikes. so she had a sucker half a cookie and some juice. her whole personality changed. i am still learning this thing called diabetes. it was so good mom walked in. oh my goodness. she was diagnosed when she was 13 months. we sold all the sausage and most of the burger from the huge pig. we have 2 more to sell for next month. we are going to pick up 3 this weekend. i need to have at least 6 here at all times to keep up on produce we bring in. i sold 2 for sept. for a wedding and 1 in june for a wedding. KRIS i buy a new buck each year for the goats and cows. then i sell or butcher when i am done. we did a bull and had great mild meat. we butchered a buck this spring i sold a lot of it. folks liked it. we just tried a italian hot dog sausage made from goat. it was delicious. we keep them away from the girls and feed fruit a lot of apples and barley to finish. then butcher a calm quiet animal. just a thought. i bought a ton of feeder hay yesterday. papa picked it up. it is horrible. moldy wet dusty gross stuff. should be compost. i called him and papa is taking it back today. too bad its a long drive. i paid $185.00 a ton and its awful. hay prices are over the roof.right now good horse hay is $250.00 and up a ton. i bet your hay is cheaper kris. well gotta get going hope you all have wonderful days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  2:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, square hay bales are $3.50 a bale out of the barn up the road. Good hay too. But he did say that that's probably all he'll have for us because he has others that wanted more. So we may not get any more from him til they cut more in the spring. I will have to stretch this hay as far as it'll go. A round bale is between $20-30. I think I would like goat sausauge too.

I had a scare this morning. I have been feeding the little doe girls some of the bucks pellet feed with some cracked corn mixed with the 16% feed. Well, I grabbed that container and went to feed the bucks. I got upset with them because they keep jumping up on the fence and then they knocked the feed out of my hand. I just left it there for them to eat off the ground. I went back in to feed the girls and couldn't find the feed I had fixed for them. I realized it was out there with the bucks! SO I ran back out there and tried to scoop it all up with my hands and throw it over the fence away from them. I think they ate some of the corn. But I hope not enough to hurt them.

It rained last night and a little drizzly this morning. So much slippery mud out there. And more rain Sat. And next week. I guess maybe in August we might dry up. I can't wait for dry ground again. It's been such a wet winter. And with the leaky pipe outside. We got the water bill yesterday and it is $192.00. I thought it might be around $100. I was a little bit shhocked. I will have to go talk to them and see about a payment plan. I told my hubby to let that be a lesson for him. Next time I say we have a leak, FIX IT! Fast!

And he is still here. It's nice but he is not getting paid for this little vacation. And the grands are coming tonight. They are out of school Friday. I was thinking they'd be out Monday. So this is better. They can see their long lost Papa. And he can help with them.

Sherrye, that is so scary about your little grand baby. I would be crazy if that happened. I am so glad she is ok. My hubby's having a time keeping his blood sugar down. It's hard. And like Kisten, it's up and down all the time. Can't keep it regulated.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  07:45:22 AM  Show Profile
i bet you enjoyed your man being home a while. are you drying out any? we are super dry. i may water if no rain comes normally there is more snow. well we take the hay back today. we also pick up 3 pigs. that may get pushed to tomorrow. i have 3 pigs ready to advertise. they are a little smaller. one of my customers is a retired meat cutter. i am thinking of asking him to help me do one here. i could do the kill and age. then he could help cut it up for trade for meat. i think it would be a win win. i have 2 fridges i use to cure my meat in a cold place. well i am so impressed with the synergy products i am using there herbal infusions on penny. we used the superior cow cream on her bag. it creates circulation. oh my, the cream burned her udder skin. it definitely had to have increased circulation of infusion. i am using 2 different products infused. she has 5 days to go. then we let her clear and retest. i am hopeful still. that bill would scare me right now. i am going to ask for assistance with our electric this month. $250.00 way too high. lots of stock tank heaters. i spoke with a gal who said boer milk tasted bad. do any of you girls have an opinion? i bred a boer to a nubian. hope you all have a fine day. wondering how your horse colt? training is going? buck brannamen is coming in june. i am offering free tent space. donation accepted. should be fun. i just my first 2 woman. well gotta milk. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Just got in from picking up a little more hay, and catching up on the thread from the last point I had been working.

Ya'll are lucky with your hay prices. What with all the wildfires in the west last summer I just paid 13.50 per 3 string square bale for COW hay. Alfalfa was 15.00! and I paid $6 for 1 measly bale of straw for bedding in the poultry pen.

Mister Bully Bull arrived today for his 6 week conjugal visit. Missy should be cycling in about 4 days and the vet said she should settle fast. SO excited. I was starting to worry there that my lovely heifer would be useless if I couldn't get her into a family way!

This bull throws red and black calves so It'll be a fun guessing game with what we will get.
The Bull owner also had a problem with a drake duck population explosion and we cut a deal to butcher her excess birds in exchange for half the finished meat, so with a bit of work we scored some free freezer duck too.

I set up the chick light out in the tractor pen-- I'm fed up with the smell that 10 goslings 3 ducklings and 9 turkey poults can conjure up in my utility room so they are ALL out there.
I had one weak poult that was not doing well at all-- I don't think it was eating and it was covered in bruises and it didn't make it through the night. 23 baby birds and my only losses have been 2 weak poults-- not too bad.

I'm really happy with my Ideal geese and cayuga ducks this spring. The turkies are just BBWs from the feed store and none of them looked all that incredible when DH brought them home. 8 Is still plenty, and they all look REALLY happy now. I had them indoors for two weeks and I never heard happy turkey chirps before the day they went outdoors in the sun.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  06:05:59 AM  Show Profile
well jen your in the same deal as me super high hay prices. i will sell a few more cows in spring i think. sure glad to hear you found a bull. i am waiting to see who comes back in here. my bull is young and still learning. oh boy the aroma of poultry poop. yuk i get mine out quick too. especially bigger chicks like duck and turkey. they will be good eating though. i gave my neighbor a hen and tom. the tom is like a watch dog. he gobbles when things concern him. that is what she wanted. thats cute they were all happy to see the sun. i hope you are drying out kris. it is scary when you remember a food bowl after the fact i bet they are fine now. glad to hear abbey is well. yes the kisten diabetes deal is hard for me. if i were younger i think i would be more ok with it. it scares me i will do some thing wrong and hurt her she has her pump now. it helps but i still need to test and calculate carb counts. she is the sweetest girl well going to start taxes today. i got up early to do them. we only have one work trip for 2011. so hopefully i will get them done fast. going to make lotion today also have any of you used synergy products. i am going to try to make their udder balm. well happy days to all you girls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Jen, so you decided to host the bull at your place, I see. Just don't get in their way. A bull can be very dangerous. A lady near here was hurt really bad by a bull last week. Ended up in the hospital. It was her bull. So be careful!!

Looks like Abby's udder is filling up. SO I guess she is pregnant! And I see some goo in Sanday's vulva. So could be soon. I am so excited to see Sandy's kids. Long eared Nubians finally.

I am going to put the bucks up on Craig's list this week to sell. Gotta get rid of them. I can't see keeping bucks here with so few does. They are taking up much needed space. So they have to go.

It's a beautiful day here. After rain and clouds yesterday, it's great. But more rain on the way. Muddy yucky ground out there for awhile longer.

Sherrye, what kind of lotion are you making? For humans or cows? I have got to start making soap. Am waiting on income tax money to come so I can get several gallons of olive oil. Our markets here don't open til April. SO I have a few months to get soap ready to sell. I am also making candles too.

Sheep are looking bigger every day. Like little pregnant ladies waddling around. I hope they all have at least twins.

I have got to get some fertilizer this week too. And some grass seeds. I need more grass for these critters. I am getting some fence too to fence off the other side of the yard for the sheep and goats to mow for me. And I need to start making sections in the pastures for them to rotate in. Sheep eat alot of grass. Down to the ground like horses. SO it takes awhile to get it growing again. I plan to only keep maybe 6 sheep at a time so I hope it will be ok.

And I need to either sell or trade little bitty Penelope. She is so small. I am wondering if she has some Nigerian in her. I don't think she will get too much bigger. Zarah is getting taller like her momma Abby. But Penelope still looks like a little kid. So I think I will start looking for a Nubian doe in milk since I will need more milk to make cheese and sell and have milk for us too. So I think 4 does will do it for now.

And I am thinking pigs again. Probably just 2 or 3. I have the perfect place picked out to keep them but I will need better stronger fencing for them. And a little shelter too. But I think I want some more. In about a month or so. So I will have them spring and summer then in fall they should be ready to go. And I will have more food for them, like produce.

Y'all have a great week. I hope you are all warm and dry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  3:57:57 PM  Show Profile
I just sold Tom Dooley! And Zeke the wether too! I have 2 more to sell now. And the guy was very interested in all the lambs the ewes have. I already have one lamb sold to a friend. But I am thinking I'd rather try to sell the meat. I think I could make a whole lot more money per pound than I could per live lamb. It just depends really. If I sell meat, I have to keep them longer. I will only grass feed them so no money involved. And leave them on their mothers as long as possible too. I will have to think about that awhile.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile
wow kris you have been a busy girl. i make human lotion. i am now trying to get the herbs figured out for a balm for udders. i want one with just nutrients in it. then i want one with the menthol and peppermint to move the udder flow i tell you that stuff i used on penny made me soooo sick i cried now i have shingles darn well the menthol and mints are too strong for me. it triggered a porphyria reaction. i have broken things too since my hands jerk and fly around. kinda crazy so i want to make one more gentle. less aromatic i realize for critical udder treatment that strong may be needed. but for simple circulation issues on a goat or cow it could be milder. i see where more babies were born too. more kids on anther post. how fun. i think i remember you saying you picked up bones for your dog from the butcher. well i pick up the trim meat for my pigs. i cook it in a farm roaster. those portable electric ones. when the meat falls off the bone i feed the meat to the pigs. for a pig to gain weight fast they need protein in a high amount. 16 to 21 percent. so i feed cooked beef. then i feed the barley. you could buy racks of bread. do you have a bread store. then the produce i feed yams bananas corn apple melons just a few oranges and mine grow fast. then the milk is a extra treat. when we feed eggs they are cooked. raw egg white ties up biotin. pig will not grow. the pigs love the cooked meats. buffalo beef chicken all cooked and bones removed. i cook at 325 for 8 hours. hope this helps.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  1:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! I hope all is going well you all sound busy! I have been keeping busy here too,I was going to take a break from colt starting then ended up taking on another thoroughbred and a little paint colt so they have been keeping me pretty busy.My Nellie doe may be kidding sometime soon she has been filling up her udder to maximum and having discharge,getting all baggy in her vulva so I have been getting my kidding supplies together.I think Ginnie may hold until her projected due date though I have been wrong about so many things these past couple months she may still surprise me too as she is so incredibly big.She seems to be having trouble walking and in particular paddling with her left hind and I'm not sure if there's a lameness or if she's just so big it's hard for her.Well I should get going and get my anvil and stuff out,there's a gal bringing her horse to be shod and all four of his feet seem to belong to four different horses,like most horses he would be better left unshod.Take care ladies!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  3:28:45 PM  Show Profile
Re pigs:
I was sort of kicking around the spring pig idea but I don't really have enough food waste to go around and make it thrifty... with this many people very little food makes it to leftovers and my fowl and horses get all the produce scraps.
I did however overhear some 4H moms lamenting pork projects-- It seems that the 4H post fair auction is so poor these days that only the first place animals sell at decent prices, and if the animal doesn't place you're likely to take a loss on feeding it enirely.

I decided for our family that that would be a better way to go for fresh pork-- processing is arranged through the fair sale, and I don't have to house or feed a pig for all those months.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  4:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever had summer kids? A friend wants my buck and I'm taking him over tomorrow. So they would be having kids towards the end of July. I was going to wait to breed my 2 littles in a few months for Sept. or Oct. kids. I don't know, we have really hot summers here. But they have a nice barn and would probably use fans. It will get the buck away for at least 5 weeks so I am ok with it.

I talked to my friend who I got my ram from. She has pigs too. Her sows just had piglets 2 weeks ago. So that will work out perfect for me to get some spring pigs. I told her to save me at least 2 maybe 3 boys. I don't want girls again. So this will give me time to get a place ready for them. I don't know about 4H animals around here. I do know a guy who has Suffolk sheep he raises and sells for 4H kids to show. I don't know what happens to them after that. I will have to check it out.

And my friend is coming to shear my wool sheep in a few weeks! Then I can see what they really look like under all that wool.

Good luck on all the goat kids! Can't wait to see pictures soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  06:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Catchng up on the thread its been awhile. Hubby has a new computer from work and is tryng to transfere everything to the new computer and its giving him fits. He programs and has alot of software to install. My normal keyboard I type on will not work with the new computer so I am having a horrible time using it. Just about every word I type is wrong and has to be retyped.Also the keyboard is set up on the end of the computer desk with the other one cause he is still working on it. Not much room to work with.

My doe Bunny Bean is bagged up and is due Friday. She has dropped so I am just waiting this will be her 1st. She does not look super big so thats a relief. I don't like to see first timers with to many babies. I have another due 4 days after her.... her name is Fern and its also her first time. After 19 years I still get nervous when birthing time comes.

Sounds like everyone is super busy. Glad everyone is doing well and hope kidding season is a healthy happy time for everyone. Well gotta run and start working on some pumpkin bread and catching up on housework. I had a very nasty virus that kicked by butt for a week with fever. Had not been this sick in many years. I still don't feel very strong but enough to start catching up on things. Its amazing how behind one can get in a week.

Take super care ladies.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  4:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda I'm glad you're feeling better,have you got any kids yet?
I'm still waiting and wondering about Nellie,her udder got so hard and tight that it left fingerprints when I touched it so I milked her out a little to give her some relief but no kids yet,my projected due date for her is March 11th but we had alot of buck escapes and so I have no way of knowing for sure when to expect these kids but I'm keeping a close watch on her so she doesn't get the drop on me and have chilled kids.
Last year she had twin bucks so I'm real anxious to see if she might give me some does this time,I'm going to be real frustrated if she does that again!
I don't know what I'm going to do with the bucks that might be born this year,I have no use for them and have a buck reserved from a really well bred pair and I don't realy want to fool with raising any so I might kill them at birth or raise them for a few months and butcher them,I don't know yet but I like to have a plan in place and my mind made up before they actually arrive,I hate to kill them just as they get into this world but I also would like to not have to spare the milk to rear them.
Not much else going on here,just working on getting that paint colt started under saddle and riding that Thoroughbred,working on settling him down so his owner can start riding him,he's a real pistol and fast but an excellent jumper,if I can get him settled down a bit I think he'll do great things.
I poured some castille soap but can't wait until I can make some milk soap,I plan to make alot and hopefully can find a market for it,I've been making some crocheted soap bags that are turning out nice,figure they would make a nice addition to soap sales or as gifts,whatever comes of it.
Well ladies,hope all is going well for you,take care!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  06:42:46 AM  Show Profile
Well my doe Bunny had her kids yesterday morning. She did super great her first time. She had 2 boys and they are so beatiful. If no one buys them for bucks or wethers then I will grow them out here and sell them at the market this fall. When she freshened she had adema in her udder. Rubbed some pepperent udder balm on her and also gave her some
Banamine for the swelling. This morning she has softened up and looks much better. The biggest of the 2 buck kids had a messy butt this morning. He is such a little piggy. He is dark chocolate undernneath and a frosty mocha on the ends of his hair. He is really beautiful. The other little guy is a cinnimon brown with frosted ears. He is the little one but oh such a personality. All and all things went super well yesterday. Greatful for healthy kids and mom and she is such a good mother.

I have another doe due in a few days and she will be a first freshner also. Hope she does equally well. Well gotta run and check on the mom and babies. I sure enjoyed sitting and holding them yesterday while they slept in my lap. I love new kids!!! Its such a blessing to have healthy kids.Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page