Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  07:01:10 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly, what kind of doe do you have that had 6 kids? And how are they all doing? Is she nursing them all herself? How many more to go? I wish you lots of luck and babies there. I have another 6-8 weeks to go for my 2 does. Plus I have 3 ewes to lamb soon. Let us know how the 6 kids are doing please.

Congrats on the heifer, Jen.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  07:01:46 AM  Show Profile
kimberely how fun for you. we are just now breeding our does. we have 4 kits. they are so cute. their eyes are open now. i scared one and boy did it squeal. they are so tiny and cute. glad all were born o.k. for you. i have another doe with hair under her chin. so maybe soon more kits. when do the kits start eating produce and grain? they have not come out of the nest area yet. though i think they want to. we have sweet peas new digs almost done. i need to clean up the construction site. papa is sloppy when it comes to clean up. the hut is awesome. we have maybe a %100.00 in it. all donated 2 by 6s and some insulation. we have a spot for the piglets to run under a heat light. she has room to turn around. we also put 2 by 6s on the wall. to keep moms butt from squishing a baby. now i need to decide how to write her name on it. sweet peas hut or palace or house??? any ideas for us. usually when the pigs are trained to the hot wire they will not come out. today we need sweet pea to come out. we want to move her to her house today. well we tried the other day. did not happen. she is scared of the wire. so this morning we are going to make a run. then put her food just past where the hot wire would be. i hope we can get her to come out. she weighs about 400 pounds easy. needless to say it needs to be voluntary. well i am missing all you girls. i know life is sooo big and busy. it is good to hear from you kimberley. hope all you girls are staying dry??? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Jen so glad your little cow is such a nice cow. On your other post I thought she was still young. I had no idea she was full grown and thats as big as she is going to get. I didn't know cows could be so small and full grown. I think that is fantastic!

Kristin the doe she had that had 6 babies I think is a Satin rabbit doe I don't think that was a goat doe.If it is that would be so cool.

Kathryn glad the Naxel pulled your doe through her sickness. That is a pretty darn good antibiotic. So glad your doe is doing better. Hope she straightens out and gets her weight back up.

Sherry sounds like you are super busy with pigs and bunnies. Hope you get sweetpea to her new digs.Sherry do you feed barley whole or rolled to your animals? Where I get my feed they only have steam rolled.

We are having warm weather again for this time of year its been in the 50's and yesterday it was 60*. I just wish the wind would stop blowing so much. We had a break from the torrents of rain for 2 days and last night had some spotty showers. But the girls have been able to go out and pick in the pasture and the chicken lots had drained and dried out a litlte bit.
What a freaky January we have had. My dafodils are up 6 inches and the maple trees have budded. Its kinds of scary to think what spring will bring. I have 2 does due Feb 25th and 29th. They are starting to form little udders as this will be their first time. Everyone seems to be doing pretty good. I upped their grain ration a bit more to keep their weight steady.
My goats have been eating minerals this winter like never before. I bet they are eating twice what they have in the past 20 years. Their hay looks good but I wonder with all the rain we had last year didn't effect the mineral content.
Other people that live around me said their animals be it goat, cow ,sheep, or horses are doing the same thing.

We went across the river to KY. to get 2 big 800 lb. square bales. The man I buy small square bales from didn't have but 200 bales to sell me this year. I usually get 300 to 350 bales. I hate trying to pull off big flakes to feed the girls cause it wants to fall apart when you try to pull it apart for the small feeders. So I am using it for the one main feeder and saving the small bales for the little individual feeders for when the moms kid. That will make my small square bales last much longer. I bought alfalfa/grass mix. Its not as green as I like and once I cut it open didn't think they would eat it. It just didn't look all that great to me. I put a big flake in the feeder and they went nuts on it. Today I put more out and they are eating it up and not eating the other hay now. They are such fussy eaters sometimes but I am so glad they like the big square bales. They charged $69 dollars a piece for them so that wasn't to bad.

Well I need to get some work done outside. It looks like it might sprinkle cause its so cloudy but will get done what I can before it does. Its a hit or miss on the rain today. Tomorrow its suppose to be sunny and mild again. Will hang out laundry tomorrow.Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  08:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Kristin that wasn't very clear. The Satin doe is a rabbit! It's her first litter so a little on the small side but still good. :) I have another Nubian doe that should kid somewhat soon and then two more that will kid later in the year. I'm up to 4 Nubian does. I'm trying to spread them out so that I'm not drowning in milk and then in a famine.

Sherry, I am so NOT an expert on rabbits, just got my first last year and just starting with all this. What I am doing (don't know if it's right but we're trying it) is just keeping the food dish full once the Momma is nursing. Then once the babies are ready to come out and eat they will have food available. I believe they are weaned around five or six weeks???? I may have to look that one up again. I know they have to be separated rather young for fear of them breeding.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  3:23:13 PM  Show Profile
I just got of the phone a few ago, the guy the vet gave me doesn't do "family cows" anymore because it's apparently "too much work" to do just one cow, he only accepts work from an entire dairy.
Then when he asked where I lived he got kinda rude about it. "It'll cost you and arm and a leg to get anybody out there"? Really? how many hundreds of dollars can it possibly be to drive 45 minutes on a major freeway outside of central Phoenix to service one good natured waist high cow??

I guess if I can't find anyone I'll have to take out a personals add in the local paper on her behalf @_@

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  4:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Just been checking in and reading through all your posts,sounds like you all have alot going on.
There's not much going on here,Ginnie is recovering well and eating real well so I'm feeding her all I can within reason and she's picking her weight up already,both her and Nellie's udders are starting to fill and so I'm building a little holding pen inside the bunny barn for the kids since I plan to bottle feed them this year and keep them apart initially.
Jen congratulations on your cow,she sounds wonderful and what a great vet to spend so much time and give you so much information,I know it cost a bundle but I feel so much better when I have a vet who has a passion and who cares about the animals and the owner,I don't know what to tell you about servicing her though,maybe running an ad would be a good thing.
Kimberly congratulations on your kits and kids,I havent got any rabbits yet this year because I haven't got to breeding them all,it's one of the things I keep meaning to do but just haven't took the time to do,I have several Champagne D' Argent does I wish to get bred,thankfully I still have a male,my oldest male Champagne just croaked,it was his time,he was almost five years old but I have a son of his who is mature enough to service does now.
Linda my animals have also been consuming minerals like crazy and it has been unseasonably warm here too,makes me long for Spring but I know we're still in for it.
Well,take care ladies,I'll check back in when I can again!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  07:39:50 AM  Show Profile
jen, i thought the vet came already. is it breeding you need? look on craigs. put an ad in farm and garden. usually the want ads get flagged. but it would be on for a bit. maybe some one will email an answer. i found cows that way. i just put wanted low line bull needed. just a thought sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  07:53:47 AM  Show Profile
its good to hear from you kathryn, we are all doing good here. nice weather. so far our dexter/jersey bull is taking care of business. what a relief to know some are bred. the does are all bred except betty boop. the darn boar (sp) buck must too young. the nubian has bred them all so far. i may lock betty in with the boar buck. so cripple cow maudie will come back in on the 6th or 7th. the boy has to go high to breed her. he is little and she is tall. i did not want to have a heavy bull on her back end. she is A-2 so i was hoping for sexed semen or our neighbors white park. he is A-2 also i have not checked my new little bull manly yet. i made another nest for the doe rabbits. looks like 2 more are ready. i held the little ones yesterday. it makes my heart swoon. they are so very very cute

I am happy to hear abbey and ginnie are better. is any one still milking cows or goats or are you waiting for kidding time still? we are sending pennys milk in to be tested again i am using wash. state. it appears to be cheaper some of the goat sites recommend them. we will see for sure if she is well. i am drinking her milk. i am not selling any yet. if she is still sick i will breed her and give her another dairy bull calf to care for in pasture. i need a cow in milk. belle is not enough. heres hoping you are warm and dry happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile
Sherry,
I've had an add looking for bull up since I bought her, but the problem is I don't have a trailer so I can't take her far unless I can find someone willing to pick her up. I don't think I can safely transport her in the back of a ford. >_< The little paper here is delivered by mail to everyone in my zipcode for free, so it's probably the best way to find a bull locally.

My goslings arrived today, and they are sooo cute!! adorable little yellow fuzzies! the 2 black ducklings that I ordered with them are vigorous too.

We started tilling the garden up yesterday for spring, and I'll be working some more on that, but I really need to catch up on some house cleaning too! :D Busy week for me.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  09:09:11 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, so Penny's milk is straining good now? That is great that the cmt test showed nothing.
I will be milking for another 2 months, then will dry up Connie. She will calve the first part of June. Jen good luck on finding a bull or AI service. I suppose you could always learn how and do it yourself? But then you would have to find classes somewhere. Maybe I missed this, but could your vet do AI?
take it easy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  10:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Jen, I might have missed this also, but what about the people yuou got her from? Do they have other cows and bulls? Or else they should know someone with a bull. That's one reason I don't want a cow again. Ya just can't get a bull in the back of a Trooper. Goats and rams fit though! I wish you luck in finding someone soon. Gotta get that girl pregnant!

I am thinking my Abby is not bred. She is big one day then slim the next. I am probably going to have to start looking for a doe in milk soon. This is getting bad. And my friend's cow died from ketosos last week. So she's looking for another cow. She still the other cow but she'll need to be dried up in a few months.

It's pretty here. And sopping wet all over. But this pollen already! Good grief! My eyes are a mess. And I feel sick. Yesterday I was in the recliner all day covered up. Couldn't get warm at all. No fever but felt feverish like. I feel somewhat better today. I did take a Benedryl allergy pill. I thought I had at least another month before all this started. But the maples are all budding out right now. So here we go! Or here I go anyway.

Y'all have a great day!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  12:35:45 PM  Show Profile
oh kris so sorry you have allergies. that would make it hard. i know how much you love walking in all that mud. but spring is coming my friend. sorry about abby being open. i just saw blood on 2 cows tail. so they are open. the little guy is trying though. so now we see what the end of the month brings. i was hoping cripple cow was bred. not sure now. she is getting attention from the girls. they are grooming her. usually thats first sign then full cycle. i took belle to pasture for a break. oh my gosh. they all had to push and shove. she fought everyone. i saw how strong cripple cow is. she is strong even though she is crooked. i will bring belle home tonight. i stayed till things calmed down. i had to catch chickens that got out. they have 12 acres. still they go in the road. why did the chicken cross the road. wow very sad to lose a cow to ketosis. i bet her heart is breaking. i love my cows so much. i think i will milk my goats this year. i can use the machine. i have a few folks wanting it. i bet you get a goat in milk soon kris. i know how much you love it. well penelope failed her home milk test today. so we sent her milk in to be cultured. takes about 5 days. then i will know if i need to buy a cow. since no one is prego....... happy days to you i still need to send you your gift. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  04:29:46 AM  Show Profile
It has been my experience it is easiest to get a cow bred within a few months of calving. It gets harder the longer you wait. I am sure there are alot of exceptions to that rule, just my experience.
happy milking
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
i agree about breeding sooner. it just was not a possibility. we were not ready till now. still watching and waiting on 2 of the girls. 3 of these cows are first time heifers. so it seems like they are harder to get to take. we are all doing good here this morning. we have decided to wait on the two older girls. i want them to freshen in good weather. i am still amazed how fast time goes by. with all the baby bunnies and kids and chicks you would think it was spring. oh i am ready for a warm dat. going today to look at a milk cow. we are waiting for penelopes milk culture. it will be next week before we know. i hope its one quarter now that is sick she just loves to be milked. if her tests come back bad we will breed her and send to pasture with a new bummer calf. such is life on the farm. happy days to all you farmgirls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  08:08:45 AM  Show Profile
hey gals,

Sick today :( have some kind of nasty cold wiping me out. Slept terrible and still super tired. Course its saterday and I have the kids home all demanding to be fed and entertained.

I emailed the paper about placing Missy Moo's personals add. My vet hasn't invested in the AI equipment for himself so thats a dead end. still no luck with an AI tech. Oh, the mail lady's daughter is in school for AI technician... in Kansas. She won't be out here practicing till next year at least.

And DH broke my computer this morning by wiggling around the RAM sticks- he'll fix it when he comes home at 5 but not till then... I was actually thinking a sick day was the perfect time to indulge in some video games and now I can't even do that.

I think Im going to crawl back into bed now that chores are done, wake up in a couple hours and try to reset saterday.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  07:28:25 AM  Show Profile
well jen, sorry your sick and no games to play. i hope you are better soon. sending hugs sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  11:46:27 AM  Show Profile
Well Ladies it sounds like you all are busy it has been crazy here as we had a big blizzard and the wind out here piled up huge snowdrifts so I've been out digging out the animal pens and putting dry straw down for bedding since everything is getting soaked as it melts. We have drifts that are chest high to the horses I've been riding a young colt and my red horse through them and that's been fun sure keeps that young colt from running off with me! Sherrye I sure hope your milk tests okay you've had a long trial with that cow's mastitis I hope it clears up for you and also that your crock (cowpuncher term for cripple cow) is bred. Jen I sure wish we were closer so that I could help you haul your cow I know it's expensive to get started with A.I once you get all the equipment I hope you can find someone to help you breed your cow. Well take care ladies!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:24:24 AM  Show Profile
hi kathryn, sorry to hear about your storms. we have been having cold clear days. today some of that horror frost stuff. i am staying in. we are still waiting for results today on penny. had a skunk episode this week. it does look like maudie is bred. i am so hopeful. she should be coming in now. very quiet in pasture. hey kris where are you? how are your goaties doing? hope all is well for you.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  3:11:48 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, that's great that your cow is pregnant. I hate skunks. They are all over the place here. Dead! And stinkin' to high heaven too. They must be coming out of hibernation and looking for the ladies. But they need to be more careful.

Well, this morning, Abby and Sandy are butting heads again. So I grabbed Abby and got John Henry and took them to the "hineymoon" suite. I am just so confused and not sure what's going on with this old goat. I hope it's just hormones flairing because I do not want a July kidding. So I put John back in with his buddy Tom. I just don't know what's going on with Abby. I think I am going to have to start looking for another doe to replace her so we can have some milk.

And I was mistaken as to why my friend's cow died. He stomach was twisted up. The vet had done surgery on her a few days before but she was just too messed up by then.

Mt 3 Katahdin ewes are getting some little udders! The teats are quite noticable now and 2 of them are actuall looking like they are filling up too. So I think in a few weeks I need to separate those 3 ewes and get them ready to lamb. This is so exciting!

I hope everyone is well and having a great week so far. We are getting cold here. I'm ok with that as long as we don't get any snow. But I sure wish we could dry up.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile
I just got to thinking about trying to milk my sheep so I changed the title to add sheep. I hope there might be some ladies who milk their sheep and will come on and tell about it. I want to try sheep cheese. My ewes are getting bigger every day. It's so easy to see the difference in hair sheep unlike the wooly sheep. The wollies just look huge. They need to be sheared soon. Then maybe Earl will find his mark on those 2. I don't think they are pregnant. But in about a month, we should have Katahdin lambs running around here.

I am going this afternoon to the pallet shop to pick up some free pallets to make lambing jugs. They are giving me 12 of them. I love free stuff. I just need nails I think. I hope it works. And I hope I get to use them.

How is everyone? And kids yet anywhere? Or more lambs and calves? I was wondering when Jennie's cow Mona was due. I think in the summer.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone catching up on the thread. Wishing the sun would show itself. We had snow the day before and it mostly melted by the end of the day. The sun was suppose to be out today and its very grey and cloudy so I am not holding my breath.

My 2 girls are getting quite round. Bunny is due in 16 days and the other doe Fern is due in 20 days. Counting down and hoping all goes well. They will both be first time freshners.They both have formed small udders and they are growing everyday.
Its been so muddy have been fighting hoof problems. I trimmed 15 goats in 3 days. My hands don't hold up like they use to since the carpal tunnel has set in. But they are done for another month and sprayed them all with hoof treatment.I hope it dries out sometime this year. Kris you still having the mud their too??? Glad you are gonna see some lambs this spring. Lambs are just about the cutiest things to have around.

We have all been fighting colds and now hubby has one and its much worse than the one my son and I had. I have been giving him some homemade elderberry syrup I made every day. I love the way it taste and turned out it was the first time I had ever tried making it. A friend of mine Lisa(nubidane) had given the ingredients and recipe to me to try. I need to buy some more dried elderberries so I can make another batch.

Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  1:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I just made more syrup yesterday. I make 4 cups when It's all done. That will last me about 3-4 weeks, depending if the grands need any. I swear by that stuff. Haven't been sick on 2 years now.

Yes, we are drying out a little bit. I can walk out there with my tennis shoes on in some places. But the other side of the yard is where we have a leaking water pipe in the ground and it's all the way to the garden and goes across where the sheep have to go in and out. It's like a swamp. Hopefully hubby gets to come home this weekend and we can get it fixed. Last month's water bill was $23.00. No telling what it will be this time. It's normally just about $12.00. It's pretty bad out there on the one side and even going down the driveway now. I got 2 buckets of gravel yesterday and put by the gate. Didn't make a dent.

It's colder here this week than it's been and supposed to get colder this weekend. But that's ok. No frozen water buckets yet. Sunny nice days though.

I hope you have a good easy kidding coming up. We have about 5-6 weeks to go now. Good luck!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  6:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Isn't this a fun time of year!?! Busy. So I have two sets of twins now. One little doeling isn't doing so well. She was much smaller and weaker than her brother. Then I went out to check on everyone and she was missing. When I found her I was positive she was dead. But then I saw her breathing and I rushed her into the house. She tried dieing on me once more but I think we've got a handle on it now. We'll just have to wait and see. It's the first time I've had to intervene and so although I understand the general concept of what needs to be done I was terrified I'd do something wrong and kill her. Called the vet a couple of times for advice. I've got two more does to kid later in the year. Fun, fun, fun.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:26:24 PM  Show Profile
I hope all is going well for you ladies,Kim that sounds scary with the little doe,I am glad you got her going again,I hope she keeps going for you!
Nothing much going on here,my Ginnie doe is getting round and eating like a hog putting the weight back on that she lost during her bout of pneumonia,Nellie is building up an udder but she's much narrower,always has been so I'm wondering if she's carrying just a single,she's always kind of slight but last year she was narrow and still had two bucklings so I guess I'll see in early March.
My buck had another issue with urinary calculi so I was dosing him with the ammonium chloride again and he did alright,it wasn't too serious,I did read in the back of the Hoegger goat supply catalog that they advise not to give sodium bicarbonate to bucks and wethers,I had never heard of this and routinely offer free choice loose minerals,sodium bicarbonate and kelp to all my goats regardless of sex but they say the SB counters against the acidity of the urine so I'm removing it from thier pen and adding apple cider vinegar to the water and see if that may help.
These snowdrifts are melting a little bit at a time and it's real muddy and boggy,I'm starting to feel anxious for Spring,I can't wait for some little kid goats but I hope they don't come in the middle of a storm like the one we just had.
Well,I had better wrap this up,I hope all is going well for you gals,take care!

Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  8:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Ladies!

I know I've missed some posts, so I'll have to play catch up over the weekend. I just wanted to hop on to let you know our Nubians are growing like little weeds. LOL I though Penelope would end up being the pack leader just because she's a few weeks older than the two sisters, but that is not the case. Isabella is turning out to be quite the dominant force in our goat herd. (Is it considered a herd when there are only three? I think so, but my brother was challenging me on that)

I've been super busy because I just got my first horse last Sunday. I have wanted a horse since I was a little girl, so that dream has finally come true for me. We're keeping her at a community barn about 5 miles away, so I go see her in the mornings and evenings to feed her, let her out into the paddock, feed her, bring her back in for the night... It's time consuming, but it's so worth it to me. I am absolutely in love with her! Okay, I know this is a dairy thread, so enough about horses. Did I mention how sweet she is?? ;o)

We've had pretty mild weather, in the 50's, but it's supposed to drop over the weekend. 20's at night, 40's during the day. Brrrrr! Yeah, I know many of you have it much colder, but this is quite a difference for me after living in Florida for 10 years.

Good luck with that little doe, Kimberly... I really hope she pulls through for you!

(( hugs ))

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679
http://farmgirlby40.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page