Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  07:43:23 AM  Show Profile
oh kris i touched one of the babies. i hope she doesnt kill it. i think there is 3. one looks black one spotted and one whiye. i help a gal in tumalo today. then home to clean poop up again. the poop is endless here. well we are raining here too. weird should be snow. we are going to be in the 40s. i still have penny/ waiting to see what the previous owner wants to do/ i think i may breed her dry her off. then pull calf when born. i sure wish i could get her mastitus to clear. belle is doing great. she is a great cow. hoping ginnie and abby are better today. hope you stay dry kris. happy days here sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  08:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I think I caught up with everyone... We've been busy around here and just moved our chickens, ducks and rabbits from a friend's house about 2 hours northwest of us back here last night. That was pretty tiring, and I don't feel like we're ready for them to be here. It was time, though, because our friend has been taking care of them for about a month. Yeah, that's a damned good friend! I still have the rabbits in the show cages since last night, so hubby and I will be working on getting their regular cages hung this afternoon. Hopefully he can get out of the office early enough to leave us enough daylight to get it handled. We still need to finish a proper goat pen for the girls, but in the meantime we have the goats, chickens and ducks sharing a pen during the day, and the goats will still come in at night. It's not a perfect solution, but it's temporary. I'm just glad the goats have some sort of fencing to be able to get out and eat leaves and stand in the sun instead of just being stuck inside a shed with an open but fenced door. I call it progress and dream about the time when all our set ups will be complete. The worst thing will be the ducks wreaking havoc on the water bowls. They are such messy creatures, but too much fun to watch waddling about! (I can't say I would get them again, though)

Well, it sounds like critters are on the mend with everyone and there new bunny babies to celebrate! That's all very good news!! Let's hope for continued good health for all! :o)

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679
http://farmgirlby40.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  1:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday the people from Lowes came and installed our windows but have to come back to finish the job. They need to put the inside trim on and the metal covering and caulking for the outside. Monday hopefully they will finish and it will be warmer because the caulking won't set when its so cold.

It was very cold here yesterday and then it started to rain and freeze. We have quite a bit of ice all over the farm. I fell this morning on the way to the chicken lot. With the hills and slants there was nothing to hold onto. Hurt my elbow some and my bottom but not too bad considering. Took extra long to do chores because I had to walk super slow. I dread chores tonight cause its still the same as it was this morning......I was hoping it would melt some but the temps have stayed low and its so grey and dark. Some of the goats tried going up the hill and fell. I had to help the old one back in the barn. I was afraid she was going to break her leg or something. I hope tomorrow it warms a little but not sure what the weather man has to say about that yet.

Kris glad you are getting settled with your animals. You will eventually get to it all. But for now it will make things intersting having them together.
Sherrye hope your little bunnies are doing well. I sure bet they are cute. I use to have bunnies and I touched one to try to move it back with the others and it was fine. I just wouldn't recommend any touching unless needed.

Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  4:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Linda, take care of that elbow and bum... Ouch!

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  06:46:03 AM  Show Profile
Linda, you need to start taking a long stick or cane with you when you go outside from now on. It will give you something to hold onto and maybe keep you from falling. You are really going to mess something up if you're not more careful. I know some things are just going to happen, but you have been hurt too many times.I have a big stick by my kitchen door that I look at as I am going out, thinking I really need to take that with me to help me get through all the slippery slimey mud out there. It sure wouls help alot to just keep me more steady. But it's hard to carry that and an armload of hay and 2 buckets of feed too. So it sits there by the door. I hope you get your windows all fixed. We had so much rain again this morning.

My bucks are getting fatter every day. I am feeding them twice a day some high fat sweet pellets and lots of hay. And they have been inside the stall since I got them back. I put them in there because the nights were in the low 20's. Then we kept getting rain every day. So I just decided to keep them in there. They won't know what to do when they finally do get to go outside. The back yard should be nice and grassy when they do go out.

And Sandy is getting bigger all the time. I keep petting her belly and talking to the girls she's carrying. She better have some girls. And with long floppy ears. I can hardly wait to see them. They will be so cute. I am really not sure about Abby. She is a little bit bigger but then she's eating better now. So if she's pregnant, she may just have a single kid. We shall see in a few months.

I am so tired of all this rain. Goodness, every day now. It's nothing but a mud pit. When it dried out, if it ever does, and if I have any money, I would like to get a concrete truck to come pour concrete paths for all the animals to walk on from the gates to the stalls and barn. I know they are tired of it too. But I can see some sun shining out there right now!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  6:14:24 PM  Show Profile
Well shoot. I went out earlier to feed the critters again and there were a few extra goats at the fence. And one had really long ears. I just about fell over. Those darn bucks were out and with the girls. All of them. there's no telling how long they've been out. Probably all day. I have been so cold I have been inside all day. I seem to recall feeding the bucks this morning and going in to get their water bucket to refill. I guess I didn't latch the gate. So I will have to see if Zarah and Penelope have some little kids about the 3rd week in June.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  07:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh no Kristin hopefully the girls were not interested yet. But if they were your gonna have early summer babies.Glad the bucks are doing so good.

I found some old ice cleats to wrap around my shoes next time we have freezing rain. So that will hopefully eliminate falling again. Kris the cane idea would be good but I need my hands to carry hay, grain, and water back and forth to each barn. I tried the cleats later that evening after I found them and they worked great. They feel weird to walk in but I didn't slip at all. Now its back to sloppy milkshake mud cause the ice finally melted. I can't believe how much rain we got again. Its the muddiest yet that I have ever seen.

Today its actually sunny and its much cooler since the front moved in. But oh to see the sun is absolutely wonderful. I think I am going outside in the mud today and try to put straw down to help with the mud problem.

You all take care and hope you have sun too.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  07:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Linda, it's sunny here too!!!!! I am using old feed bags to put on top of my mud. It helps some. I will not be able to use straw or anything like that as long as I have stinkin' chickens. So I will try the feed bags. And they will just compost into the ground later. My hubby was compaling of all the feed bags in the milkroom the other day. He's here a few days a month and goes in the milkroom to turn on the air compressor maybe one time and he says that the milk room sure is getting cluttered up with feed bags. Geeze! So I will put them to good use. I was saving them to put down the garden rows. That's why they are all over the milk room.

Those little does sure have been teasing the bucks last month before they went up the road. Not so much lately so hopefully they were not in heat. But I did put it on the calendar just in case. Ya just never know. I did want to wait a few more months though.

Have a great sunny day up there! I hope everyone has some sun today. My mom sure needs it. She's been a little depressed lately with all this rain and clouds.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  07:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Well gals, looks like I'm gonna get to join the thread! Our cross country move did not work out, so we decided to spend some of the money we saved for moving this year to improve our quality of life here. Hubby got a new mattress, and I get a cow!!!

I have an appointment to look at a 2 year old mini jersey/dexter heifer on tuesday, not pregnant but ready to be bred (calling a vet today so I know what AI will cost.) I also had a dairy in the area get back to me, and they DO sell already bred jersey cows that were "low production" for a commercial dairy, AND calves.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile
oh jen this is wonderful news. how fun for you. it is a great journey training a heifer. we have 5 right now. one is jersey/dexter. i found for us the calm time is after dinner when the sun is going down. they love the attention then. if you get a cow you get milk now. oh the struggle what to do with all that milk. i love my milk. one of the girls on another sight has a saying. a little milk is good, more milk is better, too much milk is just right. happy shopping sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Sorry things did not work out with the move Jen. But on the other hand sounds like milk is in your future. I hope you find a really good cow and she is gentle for you. Its definately an adventure that I have always enjoyed and still do with my goats. Good luck.

I don't know about everyone else but we have had tons more rain. They have my area in a flood watch again. I didn't need to watch the news to know that. Went out to the barn this morning and the water was standing everywhere and we live on hills. It was running between my 2 barns and over the hill like a creek. Thank goodness the barn has big rubber matts and raised stalls or they would be wet for sure. Its backed off the past 2 hours and most of the water has drained some wish the mud would go with it. We have more rain on the way. Tomorrow its suppose to be sunny....I hope and pray that it will be. I need the sun and my girls want to go up on the hill they are stir crazy.

Well I am off to clean my fridge. I cut up a beef heart for the dogs and put it in a ziplock bag. I went to get some tea out of the fridge and blood had leaked down each and every shelf and on everything. So thats my plans for the next hour. You all have a good one.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye how is your new bunny babies doing? Did she do okay with them.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  6:14:04 PM  Show Profile
oh boy linda, this is so fun i am moving the buck tomorrow. the babies will be wanting to come out. they have their ears now. sooo cute mama is very protective. she thumps her foot at me. when she sees i am checking them. one died i think. it is completely gone. so there is 5 now. she is a good mommy. so the silver fox is making a nest now i think. she will have her own big hutch. so we shall see. the ones out in the yard running around are just doing great too. well we decided to keep penelope. she got a bath yesterday. so she can see her boyfriend. she is A-2 and so is he. so i also think the jersey/dexter bull is getting my girls bred my heifers are coming into heat one after another. i brought in a boar buck spelling? for the girls and a nubian cross to back him up so hoping they will come in soon. hope you are all drying out some. we had a rain storm too. the chipper guy left me shavings. so i have spent 3 days spreading them with the tractor. every one has a clean bed tonight. our friend gave us some lumber scraps. papa made sweet pea the new pig a house. it has a floor and is insulated. so when its done she will have a fine place for babies. she is due march 29th. wondering again how the does are doing? wasnt it ginnie and abbey? sorry i forget the names. well i need to go to bed. we have had a crazy winter here. it feels like spring. the hens are singing the sun is out the pastures are greening up usually we are frozen solid and snow. i love this. so i hope you sre all having happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  8:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Hubby talked me into it. Her name is Maggie Moo and she arrives tomorrow!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  06:18:30 AM  Show Profile
oh my you must be soooo excited now.LOL i am so happy for you/ is she a dexter heifer? now the fun begins for you. is she dehorned? how old is she? is she as black as she looks? let us know when you get her. more pics happy days ahead sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  07:37:17 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new arrival, Jen! I don't know a thing about cows, so it will be fun to read your posts and learn through your experiences. Good luck to you!

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile
putting up a thread on her behalf :D

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  2:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
So sorry to be absent for so long,we've been using the internet at the library as I cut off our home internet and raven and I have been terribly sick so not getting out much,she missed a whole week of school and we're still kind of barmy from this dang chest cold we've had.
Anyways,Ginnie is so much better,that naxel patched her up and she's eating,her udder is starting to fill out still so I'm thinking my March kidding date is bonafide but she lost alot of weight from her fast while she was sick so I'm worried about ketosis still and trying to feed her up as much as I can.
I arranged with a gal to buy a very well bred buckling kid from her,I'm real excited about that and anxious to introduce some newer and better bloodlines into my herd,he's going to be expensive but after seeing her herd and records I know I'm making a good purchase.
Sherrye congrats on your rabbit babies,I love getting new babies,I have gotten away with touching them too as long as I'm considerate and do it quick,sometimes the babies will latch onto the teats and get dragged out of the nest box so I just grab a little wad of nesting material and use it to pick up the babies,if your rabbits are pretty comfortable with you this isn't too much of an issue but sometimes nervous or defensive does really don't do well with thier babies touched but most of the time it's okay.
well I hope everything is well for you ladies,I will try to check back in as much as I can,all is well here though and I've enjoyed catching up on your farm happenings!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile
well howdy farmgirls, we are still having good weather. somebody pinch me. it seems unreal. i so hope we stay this way into the warm days. a very easy winter here. when i am out doing chores i think of you with snow and wind and rain. we have some but really not much. busy is the word here. the kits are doing great. it appears the missing one was probably hooked on mom. drug out of the nest and died there. the nest has high sides. so must have been latched on to mom. 5 doing really great. 2 1/2 weeks old. can i hold them now can i please. when can i do it with out fear of mom killing them. she is good with me she does warn me with her paw. stay away from my babies. our bull Manly is earning his keep. i think cripple cow might be bred he tried and tried to reach her. i think at least 2 others were also. we brought in a nubian buck and a boar buck. one boar now was bred yesterday we have one pig going to butcher next week. our little boy woody (our 2 1/2 month guinea hog) is doing good. he goes for a walk with me now. we go all the places around the property. i am trying to train him to the bucket. not to me. i was on the lawn with the stock going in big circles with him. i looked to see if he was following. every one was behind me. they all got up cows dogs and goats following me around in circles. oh i love life on the farm. thanks for the reply kathryn. i will try again with the babies. it is sure fine to here abbey and ginnie are better. i want to worm. is safegard good enough? i also see that the one i brought home has lice or mites? what do you do? i remember a discussion. hoping to just get the answer. they are pregnant or almost pregnant. bucks are in. penelope has a forever home here now. we came to an agreement with the previous owner. we are going to breed her back to a A-2 bull. she is A-2 also. so i pulled the calves off her. one of our 10 month girls was nursing too. she had a few minor cuts from teeth. so that is over. she is glad i think. i tested the girl again. i gave her another bath. she poops laying down. yuk then scrubbed her udder. used alcohol on teats. i tested her with the cmt. she came back clean. WOW sooo i am milking her once a day. no calves on her. i will test again today. if she seems clear i will send her milk in for a culture test. i so hope she is well. i still have the herbal stuff. so i may do it to be sure she is clear. such a wonderful attitude. i milked both girls last night at the same time. they did not even move. worked wonderfully. so we will get another head catch built. that is when he is done with sweet peas hut. it is awesome. she has piglets in march. well one more thing. i canned some of the boar meat yesterday. it is delicious. he hung at 595 pounds. they were shocked at how good his bacon was. he ate a ton of apples milk barley before butcher. yipee happy days here. hope you all are having happy days too sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  08:13:28 AM  Show Profile
After knowing her for a couple days... I don't know that my Moo is really a Maggie, it's just the name she came with. We've started calling her Missy Moo, hopefully my sister in law who's given name is "Melissa" does not take offense! LOL
Anyway, Missy is settled in nicely. I'm expecting a call from the vet I emailed on sunday to set up her well heifer appointment and evaluate her for future pregnancy. Here's hoping that consultation goes well... I don't know WHAT I would do if he told me there was something wrong and she couldn't make or have babies.

For one, she's a super sweet little heifer. If she could sit on my pocket, or follow me into the house, she would. She has exactly the best temperment for a milker and she's very clever in a humble way. There's no way we could have her processed. For another, I way overpaid for only 400 lbs of meat even if we could! LOL

I'm so pleased I've got a vet who lives for dairy cows. He grew up on a dairy farm and his entire practice is centralized on dairy cows with other farm animals as a side. I'm also hoping he has the inside track on the best catalog bull for her.
I really really want to breed her to a jersey, but dexters tend to be more affordable and easy calves and this is her first baby.

Yesterday I drained the swimming pool to get all the gross green water out and I've got half the duck proof fence up to keep them out when it's refilled. Today I need to find time to douse the walls that are still dirty with some bleach water to kill any algae spores, finish the fence and then start refilling it for spring and summer. We are already hitting the 70s daily. I can already tell this is going to be a very long and hot one and I am NOT looking forward to it.

I also need to do a good cleaning while the kiddos are gone for the delivery men. YES! the delivery men! I have a new front loader washer and dryer coming into my utility room today and a dishwasher for my kitchen.
If I MUST stay in AZ and be hot and miserable at least my dishes and clothes will be clean on less energy and less water. I love tax season.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  2:26:04 PM  Show Profile
oh my yipee crazy for happy you... what fine days you are having sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile
just practicing girls happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  3:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Just had to pop in and share! Kidding has commenced!!! My Holly just had twin boys. Oooooh they are so cute. And one of my Satin does popped out six little ones that all appear to be doing well. Baby season has arrived. I LOVE babies!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  7:49:44 PM  Show Profile
did you get your new appliances?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  8:43:52 PM  Show Profile
I did Sherry,
The dryer and dishwasher are a Godsend, but it seems the wash machine wasn't inspected after it was returned (I bought it open box)and it doesn't fill and has a leak in the door!!! BAD Best Buy, BAD!! So I get to have them out to swap it for a newer one that will cost me more :( I will definatly be complaining to corporate. The fact that hubby works there is irrelevant, they should vet returns before dumping them out on the floor! I guess on the upside, I have a perfect excuse not to do laundry till it's fixed? LOL

Vet was out today and raved about Missy Moo... she got a perfect bill of health, in fact she could stand to lose 100 lbs for an easier pregnancy and delivery. The doc was brought up on a dairy farm and cows are his specialty.... he's seen millions of bovine butts and is a dairy judge but Missy is his first Dexter!! He was so impressed with her that he wants one for himself now! Hehe!
He gave us so much info, and taught us how to trim her feet and about her diet and monitoring her health. It was an expensive visit ($230 bucks!) But knowing for positive that she was every bit the treasure I thought she was was well worth the money. She's in such great shape, I probably won't need to see him again for quite a while.
He gave me a referral for an AI tech to call about breeding, so that's the next step. Doc says she's ready to be a momma!

Pictures soon, I've been having issues with my camera lately-- it auto uploaded the ENTIRE gallery to photobucket last night for no reason so I'm cleaning it out and finding my photos again.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page