Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  06:59:53 AM  Show Profile
kris you have been a busy girl too. it takes a lot to get ready for the cold. papa might be here sunday. i how i miss him. he then might go to a job ib hermiston. we have had some kind days. i went and picked up our meat. so starting tomorrow it starts getting sold. did you go up the mountain for a visual? death is always hard. i hate it. to be so young with those kids very sad. i will pray for them for sure. did you get your stock moved? we moved hazel and maudie out a few days ago. the price of hay is gonna kill the farmer. i was reading about the droughts. global warming IMO. we may decide to move to a warmer climate. seriously papa will retire in 14 months. we could go more south. i love this place we are on. thought no i never want to leave. finances are changing my mind. dorinda i wish you could post pics of your calf are you milking? well my belle still has a swollen front quarter. i need suggestions to reduce inflammation and swelling. tests good so far on cmt. she calved 4 weeks ago. what do you think? i should go back to then on posts here. i could see how long it lasted last time. linda are you enjoying your time off from milking? are you using store bought? so far i am getting barely one gallon from belle. first she is swollen big time in front> then i have the calf on her 24/7. when papa gets home i will lock baby up at night and milk in morning. my customers are sooo disappointed. i have no milk to sell right now. penny is not getting well. the rate is 8 to 57 percent success rate with these 2 bacterias. bag empties better. i am going to do one more round of todays with dmso injected in her udder. i am going to give her la200 sub-q also. waiting for papa to get back. then we will pull calf also. if we can get any quarters clear we will dry off the sick one. so any ideas are so needed on this. happy days to you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile
It is the most beautiful day here today. There is a slight breeze that's blowing some loose leaves off the trees and it's so pretty to see them floating across the yard. I went across the mountain the other day and got some of the most bright leaves I could find. I got some waxed paper and ironed them between the paper with yarn and made 2 pretty fall banners for across my dining room window. Also just picked some more yellow and orange zinnias from the garden. I love this time of year. What are y'all doing to make your home fallish? Oh, I also have a wonderful pumpkin candle that I like to light. But right now I am making bread so would rather have that smell today.

Sherrye, it gets really cold and snowy here too or I would say come on over to Ga. We had more snow last year here than in Col. Springs where my sister lives. I hope you can get some more milk for your customers. I hate when that happens. I am thinking about getting 2 more does. But then I'll have 6. I am only breeding Abby and Sandy this year. Zarah is probably big enough but I want to give her leg time to heal completely before I breed her so will wait til next year. I might go ahead and breed her and Penelope in the late spring or early summer for fall kids. That way I can have milk all year then.

The lady that has the sheep for sale called this morning. Her husband just died this week. She said he'd always wanted to go up North to see the fall leaves. That's where they have been for several weeks. Then he died. So sad. I hate this. Death all over. I know it happens all the time but it's so sad. ANyway, I am going to see the sheep this afternoon. I will probably get 2 of them. She has a black Finn ewe and then some white bottle lambs for sale. I know I will come home with that black ewe but will have to see the others first. All 3 of my Katahdin ewes have been in heat the past few weeks. Poor Earl is pooped! He's been doing his job like a pro. I can't wait to see some cute little lambs about March.

And yesterday, Sandy was in full blown heat. So I grabbed her and Tom Dooley and put them in a stall together and he went right at it. She just stood right there for him. It was my 33rd anniversary so that's neat. In 5 months we will hopefully have some cute little full blooded Nubian kids from them! And she better have at least 1 doe.

I moved the sheep up to the very front of the garden and then the goats are in the front part now. There is so much for them to eat up there. I will let the other pasture rest for awhile. It's looking good. And we had some really good rain the past few days here.

I need to get some crocheting and knitting finished so I will talk to y'all later. I need to go outside and sit. It's beautiful out there. Y'all have a great weekend!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  07:54:11 AM  Show Profile
good morning girls, i have been missing you all papa is home for a few days. he has done bins so its been easier. i was very sore and tired. he leaves in a day or so for another job. it is better since he can come home on weekends sooo much better. we are in the 20s and teens at night now. way cold for me. your going to be busy if you breed those new girls too kris. i am slowing all my stuff down for winter. maddie goes to butcher on the 8th. that leaves me with heifers to breed back. i am only really milking belle. i can not seem to get penelope over her mastitus. happy anniversary to you kris. how are your sheep? the sun is out but it is cold here. well gotta get moving. hope all is well you girls happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, so glad your hubby is home. I'm sure you miss him. Mine was home Sat. night til Sun. night.

I got 2 new sheep. I got the beautiful dark brown ewe. I thought she was black but when I got up there, they were all a dark brown. She is beautiful. Only 6 months and already needs to be sheared. She's full Finn. Also got a bottle raised half Finn, half Suffolk ewe, also 6 months old. She is very friendly. Her name is Darla. The other one didn't have a name so her name is Lucinda. She is a little skittish but will hopefully settle down. I have them both in the new pen up front. The other sheep are in the garden on the other side of the driveway. They can see each other. I opened the gate into the pasture where Mazie and Chuck used to live. It's been empty almost a month now. Lots of good green grass. So they went over there for about 15 minutes them had to take a break. Silly sheep. It's supposed to rain some Thursday so I will probably put them back over on the other side where there is shelter. Then I might let them all together. But I really need to wait becaus ethe lady I got the new ewes from is supposed to come shear Lucinda in a week or so. Then I might let them together. I'll see. I closed up the front of that side to the pasture to let it rest and grow.

I think my does are pregnant. I put the bucks back in with them yesterday and nothing happened. SO I might see if my friend wants the bucks for his girls for a while.

It is so beautiful here. We are in the high 60's and will be into next week! I am loving this alot. I just got done mowing the grass and leaves. Looks good right now but it will be full of more leaves tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  08:11:25 AM  Show Profile
congratulations on the sheep kris. a new adventure for you with the wool and all. we are doing good here. papa is still home. life is sure easier when there is two of us. we have a little snow on the ground this morning. i am down to just milking belle once a day now. penny has a calf on her. i am going to retest her today. i am betting she is still sick with mastitus. i have the stuff to retreat her. she is a good nurse cow though. so all my cows are open. i need to get on it soon. the rabbits are ready to butcher. that will be my next project. then i have some fryers to do also. i like doing it in the cold. no flies. so tues. one cow and to pigs go in for butcher. that will help my animal food bill. i will just have heifers and my two milk cows and one steer. oh and two doe goats and 6 pigs and chickens. hoping you all stay warm and dry. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  06:53:18 AM  Show Profile
good morning girls, i am missing all you cow- goat girls today. we rearranged the barn yesterday. made room for hay and the tractor to park. we will bring 2 calves in next day or so. i want to tame them down and halter train. we will wait a few months before i breed betty and ginger my does wondering what you girls are up to these days???? hoping all is well for you. is anyone still milking. i will milk belle through winter. love my cream. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye. Looks like it's just you and me here. Is your hubby still home? Mine sure is a big help when he's home. We have got to cut firewood when he's home this next weekend. I have been planning this for months now but something always comes up. We have some but not enough with just an open fireplace. I have had a few fires but so far have not had to have the heat on. We have been blessed with wonderful fall weather. But I am waiting for the bottom to fall out.

I forgot Sandy in the milk room this morning. She is SO slow so after I milked her and Abby, I let Abby out and went to put the milk bucket in the fridge. I had left Sandy to finish eating and I was going to let her out in a few minutes. Well, I got side tracked and forgot. Then went down the road to walk with my friend. That usually takes a good hour. Then came home and was getting things ready to move the sheep over next door when I heard a goat that sounded king of muffled. I looked and didn't see Sandy. Then it hit me that she was still in the milk room in the stanchion. All by herself. Not a good thing for her. So she of course had pooped all over. So I let her out and she went right up the hil and started eating. And that silly goat still had not eaten the alfalfa pellets. She will eat around every single pellet and leave them. Penelope usually cleans up for her but she was already out. So I feel so bad that I forgot her. She's fine though. Hopefully she's forgiven me.

I am so loving my sheep. They are amazing animals. Lucinda is still very skittish and bolts when I try to touch her. Such a big difference between dam raised and bottle babies. Darla is very friendly and of course Earl the ram is the biggest baby of all. I so hope he stays that way and doesn't try to kill me one day. SO they are back over in the garden and they can get into the pasture next door from there. Then they just go out there for a few minutes then come back into the garden. They are so silly. But I love them all.

My friend has 2 Jersey cows and 1 was due any day. I am calling to see if she had a calf yet. If it's another heifer she will sell it and I am thinking about buying it when it's weaned.

I am still milking my 2 does right now and will til they dry theirselves up. I'll try to keep going til Jan. because they would be due in March. I might breed Zarah in late winter or early spring. She's pretty big.

Sherrye, did y'all butcher the cow and pigs yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  11:17:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm drying up my last doe. I know this sounds insane, but I miss milking! I also miss the milk ALOT. I hate buying milk in the store because mine is so much better. Oh well, we'll just appreciate it more when they freshen. Everyone is doing well. I'm thinking all the girls must be bred because the boys have settled down. Bucks in rut is just not my idea of pleasant. I might have someone interested in trading a registered kiko buckling for my registered nubian buck. If it all works out it might be a good thing because my goal is to have my Nubian gals for milk and breed them to meat bucks and then the kids are raised for meat. This way I'd have a kiko/boer cross and a kiko and then I could keep the daughters to breed to the other buck and have a little herd of meat goats. I'm pretty excited at the possibilities. So my meat goats would be nubian/boer/kiko I think that's a pretty nice combination. And I'll still get all the milk I'll need!!! It sounds like a win/win situation but we'll have to see what the reality is. :S

How is everyone doing? I've been in my own little world lately and haven't been keeping up.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
Sorry I only get to check in now and then,just been busy training a few colts and giving a few riding lessons as well as taking care of everything here on the place,we've just recently got a government grant to dispose of the junk tires on our place that were left from my Stepdad's tire shop,we've been waiting for a long time for that and it will open up five more acres for us so that's real exciting,first thing going in will be my riding arena!
Anyways,Sherrye,I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with that mastitis,sure wish that could get cleared up for you,hang in there,I'm sure she will get better with all your good nursing.
All the animals are doing well here,all of our fall hatched chicks are feathered out,I'm not getting hardly any eggs because the older hens are still molting and slowing down for Winter.
All of my goats are bred now,all three Nubian does and unfortunately,my two Nigerian Dwarf does managed to get out and get with my bucks and got bred so I'm hoping that all turns out well as it's not ideal,I had intended not to breed the two Nigerian Dwarves at all and especially not to a Nubian so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that all works out well,the older doe is five years old and her Daughter is now nine months old and this will be her first kidding so there's just no telling what might happen there so I hope all will turn out okay.
I sold off two of my bucks to good homes and now have just the one who I'm kicking around the idea of castrating and keeping,butchering or selling,haven't decided yet.
Kimberly,I'm thinking of doing the same thing next year and breeding some or all of my Nubian does to a boer,I used to do that some time ago and was able to sell my surplus well for meat purposes,the way I sold was to offer a place where my buyers could come out and slaughter here on the farm in thier own customs,I sold alot of goats to Hispanic and Muslim buyers.
In order to sell to the Muslim buyers the animals must be Halal "permissible" by being unblemished so requires intact males with horns and they must be killed according to Halal procedures,I have to say that watching a Halal slaughter is very peaceful and a very humane and respectful method of slaughter and my preferred way of selling my dairy culls.
I just read an article online and in The United Caprine News about the new "No Goat Left Behind" project started by Heritage Foods,a program to market and promote dairy culls and meat goats,look it up if interested,I think it's a good start in the right direction to make dairy culls more profitable for the small producer.
Anyways,I'll wrap this up,I hope all you gals and your animals are doing well,good to check in and read what you all are up to!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  7:40:06 PM  Show Profile
oh kris i have forgotten a girl now and then too.LOL glad she (sandy) handled it ok. yes papa is still home. i am so enjoying the help. i feel almost human again. glad you still have milk. i am milking belle now once a day. i leave the calf with her full time. she only has 2 teats that work. so the calf does a good job. we butchered to pigs yesterday. one hung at 220 and the other 166. we also did maddie. she hung at 484. good sizes. both pigs were sold and half of maddie. i will keep the other half so it was a BIG day i did cry when maddie went down. she was a good cow. no one bought her. she was toooo much pasture cow for me. plus she had horns. she would try to use them on me. just not a good attitude. so we are moving her baby jasmine and daphne here to our yard off the house. through the winter i am going to train them. should be fun. KIMBERLEY, i love the boer cross with a milker or a kiko. both are great. i have a reg. boer doe and a reg. la mancha doe. very good girls i sold all our babies this year. i made $725.00 when they went to market. it paid off for us. KATHRYN, i wish i had some fall chicks. especially fryers. i like to do the same with my cows as goats i breed a small beef to a jersey and get a good dual purpose animal. well gotta go too hope you all have a happy evening. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Catching up on the thread.Kris sounds like you are the only one milking you lucky dog. I really miss my goat milk. I am not enjoying the milk from the store. I would still be milking but my doe was drying up and my hand needed the break.
I have 5 does bred for next year. The other ones are either retired or getting a break. I have 14 does and 2 bucks. I tried selling my spotted buck for 6 months and could not get him sold. He was really a beautiful spotted buck. I live in an area where no one seems to want to give you anything for your goats. They want you to give it away. I decided to take him to the sale barn. I got $211 for him. I cried when I left. I was so depressed. He was such a gentle buck but I really couldn't use him anymore and needed the barn space bad.I hate taking them to the sale barn. I have not done this but a few times.
I have one of my retired does leaving this weekend to a friend of mine for a companion to her doe.I retired her at 7 years old because she gets weird when she has babies and wants to beat everyone up. She a real sweetie otherwise. She loves people more then she likes her goat herd.I hope she does well with her new home. If not she will be coming back home. I still have too many does but the only ones I could cut back on are the retired ones and I won't do that. They are here until they pass from old age. They are part of the family.

Sherry glad your hubby is home to help again and you can recoup a little.
Kris have you learned to spin wool yet? I miss my sheep and like to spin wool. Its very relaxing once you get the hang of it. I have 3 wheels they are all Ashford traditionals of different ages.

I went to a local craft show and sold soap this year. Its the only one I go to to sell soap. It helps raise money for the old school to keep it open as a community center. I actually sold $300 dollars this year. Thats the most I have ever sold at this show. I was so excited because I needed the money and not a minute to soon. I had to take my fat cat Cleo to the vet. So was good to have some extra jingle in my pocket. I still have a good amount of soap left for sale,gifts and our own personal use. The most popular soap I sold this year was almond/oatmeal and patchoulli/sandlewood. Last year I hardly sold any of the Patchoulli/sandlewood.

Well I need to get going. I have pumpkins to cup up and roast to get the pulp and more laundry to do. You all take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Nov 17 2011 06:58:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  11:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I guess I might be the only one milking right now. I am not getting much but I hate to have to buy milk so I will keep on milking til they are ready to dry up. Hopefully they are both bred. If they are they will be due around the end of March. SO I'll start drying them up in Jan. I have a friend with jersey cow so I get milk from her but she's had to go up to $6.00 a gallon.

That is great that you sold so much soap! That money sure does come in handy. I just got money from a freind who bought soap back during the summer. I need to make some more soap myself. I want to make castille. I love that soap.

I have not learned to spin yet. We never did shear the ewes. I guess it will have to wait til spring now. It should be really nice and long by then. I have a friend that I walk with that knows how to wash the wool. I am so loving my sheep. They just look so peaceful out there in the pasture when I look out. I like to go out and pet them and talk to them. They are so sweet. And I can't wait to see a bunch of little lambs about March.

It's been so nice here. It rained the past few days but is now sunny and it's getting cooler. I have gotten spoiled with the warm weather. I took the goats out back for a walk and lunch. They love to go back there. There is so much to eat for them.

Y'all have a great day. Hope all is well with everyone. Sherrye, how are you doing way out there?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

BC girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Rose
Duncan BC
Canada
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  5:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi All farmgirls out there, joined up in the summer, and have been enjoying reading all your stories !!!...We had snow the past couple of nites here, which is kind of early for my area here in BC. My "goatbabies" (my nickname for them) are now 8 months and 9 months old. Poppy, the older one, has just gone into her second heat, exactly 21 days apart, and she bawls her head off day and nite for about 2-3 days. Star the younger one, doesnt get what Poppy's problem is, but I warned Star, her day is comin' too !!.....I'm hoping Poppy will still be having a heat in late January, then she will be really close to a year old, and I can have her bred. ......these two girls are so comical, I just love them. They and the 2 dogs are great friends now, so they come in the goat pen too, and they all have lots of fun. (border/heeler crosses). I've built some playgrounds for the girls, and they love to jump and prance and show off. ......anyways, great to listen to you all down there in the south, and talk to you soon..........R
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  05:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone still milking cow here! Got our house sided, and got the wood supply cut and stacked. Phew alot of work, but it is done now. Hunting season starts on Saturday here.
Cold here and have had some snow, but not much. Got to go to work today, so catch ya later.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Rose! So glad you have joined us here. What kind of goats do you have? I have 2 older does and 2 does that are just 6 and 7 months old. I am going to wait til early spring to breed them so we will have milk all year now. I might even try milking a ewe next spring too. I have never had sheep's milk but there is always a first time for everything, right? Has anyone else drank sheep milk? I have only heard good things about it so I know it's good. And I love sheep cheese.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  07:48:34 AM  Show Profile
good morning all you farmgirl friend, yes i am still milking.i am milking when i need it now. selling just a little. both jerseys have a calf too. when papa got home we dried off 2 jerseys. i am still trying to save penelope. we just finished our todays with the dmso. now we are going to do an herbal infusion. it is made for cow mastitus. even if this girl does not clear up we will keep her. she is such a fine cow. i am calling the artificial insemination guy today. we still have 6 cows to get bred.kris i think its so great you are loving the sheep. i have never had any. i butchered 5 rabbits 2 days ago they average 2 1/2 to 3 pounds each. now we will see if i even like rabbit.LOL so fried rabbit tonight. i have customers who want to buy rabbit meat. finally got my calf pen ready for 3 calves. they will be right off the house. this way in winter i will be more willing to go out there with them. i want to train to a halter and lead before spring. ROSE welcome to MJF that is great you have goats. i have 2 right now. i am looking for a buck. its cold here into may. so wanting may babies this year. KATHRYN what kind of colts are you training? sounds like a lot of work and FUN. i always have bred my does to meat boer. i get great kids. i sold last year and made $725.00 at market. i was happy with that. MICHELE, what are you hunting? elk deer ??? i love to hunt. papa is not a hunter so i have not for years. we have snow and COLD. winter is here at the farm. looks like a good soap making day. that is awesome you sold all that soap. well gotta go do chores. have a fine farmgirl day. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

BC girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Rose
Duncan BC
Canada
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  9:15:24 PM  Show Profile
HI Kris, I have an alpine/tog cross, 9 months old and a tog/saanen/little bit on nubien cross, she is 8 months old. Do you think their heats will go into the spring time as they are young does just starting their heats, or will it still just be this winter. I just want to have them close to a year or over, before I breed them. Need them to size up a bit. ............just wondering what the coloured stars mean beside the names of the farmgirls ???!???....talk to you soon.....Rose
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  05:54:09 AM  Show Profile
hi rose, hope you have a fine morning. the stars are added up for how long you have been a member. if there is something else with them i dont know. maybe kris knows more. it stays cold longer where you are i bet. so they may stay in cycle into spring. i am doing that here too we have little children that come for farm tours here. so we like having babies in the warm part of spring. i have always thought b.c. would be a beautiful place to live. just thought i would chime in here too. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  07:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. I hope you are able to get Penelope all cleared up. If not, will she just be a nurse cow? I have raised rabbit before and I love their meat. Just roast it like a chicken or fry it the same way. You want to fry it slowly though. It is SO good. You will like it. It's so hard to kill a rabbit. It's too sad. But there are easy ways to do it. A friend used to sit them on his lap and pet them then break their necks real fast. That way there is no stress and their meat is tenderer.

Rose, you get more stars when you post more.I am almost to 10,000. I think you can only get to 5 stars. I am hoping to breed my 2 young does in late winter or early spring. I think it depends more on the buck, if he can breed them when it's so cold. But people breed goats all years succesfully so it can be done. My 7 month old doe has had a few cycles so far. I have not noticed the younger one though. I had a Togg before and her milk was awful. And she was half Lamancha. And I have had an Alpine too and her milk was so good and creamy. Not much, but it was good. My Nubian has rich creamy milk too. I just have a Nubian and 3 Lamancha does right now. i think that;s enough for now. I wanted to get 2 more Nubians but will wait now to see if Sandy might have a doe this time.

And I might just see if I can trade my Nubian buck for a Boer buck now that I am reading about all the good meat goats ya get form them. The first time I bred my goats, I had a Boer buck and they all had the cutest kids ever. Long floppy ears. I have to loan both my bucks out til Jan. but I could be looking for one.

It's so hot here. I have my windows all open.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  06:59:13 AM  Show Profile
I did it again. I am losing my mind. After milking this morning, Abby was still not finished eating so I took the milk inside to the fridge. I had let all the others out. Then I got busy with other stuff and then went up the road to walk with my friend. I was gone 1 1/2 hours. When I got back I went out back. I only saw the 3 goats. And little Zarah came up to me and was asking where her momma was. That was sad. I called Abby and went up on the hill. Checked inside the barn. No Abby. I was getting worried. Where could she be? Then it hit me. I left her in the milkroom on the stand. Good grief, I am losing my mind! Poor goat. I thought she was laying somewhere either sick or dead. Maybe a hunter shot her. And the poor goat was still in the milkroom. That's the 2nd time I have done this in the past few weeks.

We are supposed to be getting a little over an inch of rain later today. I think we are ready for it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Nov 22 2011 07:00:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, i am sorry but i had to laugh over this. i have soooo done this with like a water trough. LOL i say i will remember to come back and turn it off. NOT.. poor girl i bet she was so tired of standing there. i know she was glad to see you. thats great your walking again. it has been awful here. rain snow wind freezing. today is 50 mile wind and rain. yesterday we made new tent walls for our 2 barns. our barns are 24 feet by 40 feet. they were party tents when we were a event venue. this winter we made new sides. our costco had 12 by 16 tarps in a nice brown color. we cut them long way and put grommets on where cut. i have 3 more to do. so the whole time i was doing this the wind was howling. i was trying to hang this tarp. penelope came over and decided i needed a good bath. i was bent over the feed bowl trying to tie the end. she is washing my legs and back. then i am on the ladder. she comes over and proceeds to help by cleaning my boots. she is sure she is my mama. today i hope to finish making it cozy for the sub zeros coming. we have winter here. i do actually like these windy blustery days. its warmer out there today too. i grew up on the ocean. so these days help me feel all warm and fuzzy. i will have to cook something. bumper buddy is ging to get weaned soon. i will buy another calf for penny if she tests poorly again. today i will order the herbal infusions for her teats. they are supposed to clean up left over resistant bacteria. so still hoping she is well this time. i was thinking sheep must be some like rabbits. they are so quiet. looking out over your pasture seeing the ewes grazing would be very soothing i think.ROSE can you post a pic of your does? we love pics here.. KATHRYN what type horse are you training. i just watched Buck such a good film. i still have a dream of riding again. well i hope your days are all filled with love joy and peace happy days to you farmgirls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  08:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with family and friends. We had a quiet one here.

Looks like Sandy is wanting to dry up. She has been giving very little milk lately. So I decided to go down to every other day til the end of Dec. Abby only gave a pint this morning. I might just go ahead and do her every other day too. I'll dry them up completely in Jan. I sure do hate to not have my goat milk for a few months. I need another doe now that's just getting into milk for the winter. But maybe next year it will work out this way. With Zarah and Penelope so young, I was going to try to breed them in late winter-early spring. Zarah is teasing those poor bucks crazy right now. She's 6 1/2 months old right now but I want to wait til she's at least a year old. She's big but needs to mature.

So what's everyone doing to get ready for Christmas? I knitted a scarf for my middle granddaughter last night. I bought some beads and wire and earring posts to make earrings for gifts. And am making a hand written recipe book for my youngest Dd. I am working on a knitted afghan for my mom too. Need to get it finished. I am taking another knitting class next week to learn how to knit a hat. I need to make some for the guys and grands.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  04:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Hope all the critters are doing well.
This is the last day of hunting season. Sherrye they are hunting white tail deer. I don't go hunting, but I do wear my orange anytime I am outside. Years ago, I was between buildings at home and I heard the whistle of a bullet go by. That was a bit too close for me!
Kris go over to the sheep thread. I put some pictures of what I have made. I so enjoy knitting and crocheting with my sheeps yarn.
I also bought a great necklace, and since found a pattern. Google ladder yarn necklaces. They are so pretty and simple, and elegant. Something new and different.
Nice to meet you Rose!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele. Wow, that was a bit too close for a bullet! I think I would have stayed inside the whole season. We have hunters all around us here and I worry about my goats out back. I had one goat that would jump over the fence and stay out in the field. I am amazed she never got shot. I will go look and see what you have been up to. Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out too. I was watching videos last night and found some finger crocheting. Also making crocheted shopping bags from plastic bags Gotta make one now.

It's raining here this morning. Why is it that it stops raining right after I am out there sopping wet feeding the animals? If I could wait til it stops I would not get soaking wet. But I never know. It always seems to stop though when I am all finished.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  05:12:51 AM  Show Profile
rain drops keep falling on your head! Hehe
Look at the radar before you go out! :) :)
I would rather get the chores done then wait though.
Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page