Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

ksharp
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathee
Mannington WV
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  06:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
I am glad things went well with Maize. Especially glad you'll be able to see her just about daily. When we sold our cow Patsy I cried for days. (Silly old cow anyway.) Knowing she was going to a 300 acre farm with much better barns didn't help. Plus she would have lots more room. I still cried. (Silly old me.) Funny how attached we get to them. We had a lot of fun with her. She was half Jersey, and half Holstein. Great milker. The first time she calved with our 8 year old laid in the hay with her. Used the cow for a pillow. When the calf came she cleaned the calf, she cleaned my sons, and she cleaned me. She was a great cow!
Exciting that you'll be getting more sheep and goats. You are going to be one busy lady. Enjoy it.

Kathee
"The crazy,dancing,goat lady." - #3462
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  06:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.Been so busy and finally caught up on the last few pages. Have been getting ready for a family and friends farm party. It was this past Saturday here at the farm. I think I have recouped.I felt like I had been run over by a truck. I managed to have a cold before the party and after. Thats the first time I have been sick in almost a year. Figures it would be when I was getting ready and having so many people over. But a few other people that came were getting sick also.

In the midst of getting ready....painting, cleaning, mowing and all that stuff I was still working with a very old goat named Emma. I have had her on pain killers and back and hip massages for over a year. She could hardly walk and I would pull her out twice a day to eat so know one would bump her and cause her to fall over. She would fall over so easily. She would go up on the hill with the other goats but it took her awhile.But a few weeks ago I kept hearing a crunching noise in her back end. We thought it was her hips but it wasn't. She got worse and the extra pain meds wasn't working anymore so I called the vet out. We made the decision to put her to sleep. After the vet put her down he pushed around to figure out what was making the noise he had thought it was her hips because she had really bad arthritis. It was her pelvic bone... it had seperated. We knew it was bad but had no idea it was that. He said she was too old and would never heal. I know we did the right thing but it tore my heart out. She was born here and was very special and had a wonderful spirit not to mention being quite onery. I miss her so much but am glad she is no longer in pain. The last few weeks she only wanted to eat apples,carrots, and redbud leaves.I have one other doe that is 13 years old and she is showing her age too. I know she is next and I love her so much too. I know its the circle of life but boy is it ever hard to except. Well enough of my blubbering. Sounds like new stuff has been going on.

Sherry congrats on the new baby girl heifer!!! I bet she is beautiful.

Kris I bet your cider taste wonderful. I love apple cider. I bought some from a man who has an orchard thats over an hour drive from me. But his cider is worth the trip and so are the apples. I bought 2 bushel from him. I may have missed it somewhere back in this thread but why did you sell your cows?
Glad you can get the other animals and get them paid for. Thats always a good feeling.

I have 2 does bred so far. One will be due the very end of Feb. I think and the other early March. This will be their first time. I think I will only breed 5 total this year just because of space. I don't have enough room to seperate them all. My older does are going to take the year off. They keep going into season and I have to lock the boys up in the secure fence(we call it the naughty box run) so they don't get bred. I hope they don't get accidently bred or I'm gonna have to build a new barn on the hill.

Made 2 batches of soap yesterday, patchoullie/sandlewood and lavender fields. They are smelling up the whole house. Its smells wonderful. Its been a year since I have made soap.

Well I am off to render some more fat. I still would like to make 6 more batches before I run out of goat milk. My doe is down to hardly giving me any milk at all. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  06:07:13 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, you have been busy with fall stuff for sure linda i need to make soap too. with papa gone i have been soooo busy here. the man who picked up bins for me quit. so now i am doing it till papa gets home. i am not good at getting up early. so going for produce bins before milking this morning. my size is my worry. i am going to get them more bins. i can ask them to only fill half way. then i can roll them onto trailer. i did have a melt down. 4 cows is too many for one girl to milk. so i am changing things. tatoo is going back to dianas till i can get some cows moved. too much poop. found some hay for 160.00 a tonn. it is usually 200.00 a ton. well its pouring rain. are you all ready for winter. i am sure not. lots to do yet. i sold all my kid goaties. i got 725.00 for the whole herd. i kept my 2 does. so now it is ginger and betty boop. much easier for me. i still have 2 dexter cows to sell before the snow flies. kris how was your trip and the wedding? hope it all went well on the farm while you were gone. well gotta go. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  06:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. I am back home. And I am not leaving ever again! I spent SO much money and ate SO much food and drank WAY too much stuff I should not have but was SO stinkin' good. I do not miss that bar hoppin' life at all. I will tell more about it later. Me and my sista are going to spend the day with our momma. So will talk to y'all later.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  06:23:57 AM  Show Profile
Kris glad you had a good time. Its always good to get away but I am always glad to get home.Hope everthing went well at the farm while you were gone.

We have had wonderful weather the past week.I have enjoyed it so much with the leaves turning and all. I mowed the grass one last time and really enjoyed hearing the leaves fly while I was mowing. They smell so good when the mower chops them up. We had rain overnight and its around 60 degrees right now. Still have to get more wood cut and hay before the snow flies.
We had a very hot miserable summer and was hard to work outside. This past week have gotten quite a bit done outside. Still need to put the garden to bed. I dug up the sweet potatoes and they did okay. I would have liked to have harvested a bigger crop but was surprised I got what I did. This is the first year that I found rotten sweet potatoes in the ground when I was digging them. The ones that had rotted were really big. In years past this has not been a problem but we did have a hot humid and wet summer.

I don't know about you all but my 3 bucks are driving me crazy. Especially the 2 young ones I got from Kansas. When they can't see the girls they scream till it makes me nervous. The girls will go into the back pasture sometimes and the boys lose sight of them. They act like they are going to lose their mind. I have never had bucks act so crazy. One of them is already butting me and rutting me like crazy. I may have to get rid of him before next fall because if he's doing this when he is bigger he is gonna hurt me for sure. Right now he is only about 80 lbs and I can handle him. He sure is a beautiful buck tho.

I quit milking yesterday. I was only getting about 2 cups a day and decided to stop. Its not really worth it and I have enough to finish my soap. My hand still hurts and its time for me to take a break. I was done with chores lickity split this morning with not milking. Its nice not to milk and have the break but by spring I will be missing it again and the wonderful milk.

Well I'm off to get the soap out of the molds. I made Rosemary/mint/sage and another one called Spellbound woods. They both smell wonderful. I have 4 9lb batches made so far. My next two batches will be almond/oatmeal and spicy winter pear.Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 12 2011 06:25:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  08:24:14 AM  Show Profile
well yipee for you kris. what a fine thing to get away and overindulge in good stuff. i am going to wait to breed the 2 does. since we moved maude to pasture and the horse is back at dianas its easier. one more cow and 2 calves to move. we draw blood today to check for pregnancy. lisa is coming to help me. the gal i help in tumalo is getting her hay in tomorrow. i get to supervise the men. LOL i have yet to dig my potatoes. my isabella is still swollen with edema on her udder. i think i shall use some herbs. i think i saw aster root and comfrey is good. any ideas girls? we froze hard last night. i slept in today. no bin run. slept till 8. oh it felt good. well i need to milk and feed. the sun is out melting the thin layer of ice. linda i bet by spring with the rest off milking your hand will be good as new. i STILL need to make soap. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  6:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Hello ladies.

I am thinking about getting a goat next spring and would appreciate as much advice and education as possible.

After doing some reading on breeds, feeding, etc. the miniature nubian seems to be a good choice. My property is only 1/2 acre so the smaller sized animal seems the logical choice. How do I find one to buy? What should I expect to pay? I've read that it's better to have more than one goat because they don't like to be on their own. What do you recommend?

Many Thanks.

{{{hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  06:47:29 AM  Show Profile
good morning kathleen, i am not a pro at goats but thought i would share. i think goats are wonderful. depending on breed they have many personalities. i started with nubians. soon i realized they had too much energy for me. i have boer and lamancha does. i milk cows now so no need for goat milk. i did breed them this year. just sold the babies. if you will be using your goat for milk be sure to consider the size of her teat. it is hard to milk little teats. yes they need a goat friend. goats are very social. it is painful for them to be alone. there are lots of girls on here that know tons about goats. just thought i would share before i go do chores. hope you have a fine farmgirl day. congrats on your land and getting goats. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye I have heard raspberry leaf helps with swelling in udders. You sure are keeping busy. Hope you get good news on Penelope. Linda enjoy your break from milking. I hope your hand is healing well. I need to get at making soap.
Got rain here finally. Been a bit dry, but I enjoyed not having any mud. Got most of my fall chores completed. A few things left to go. That list of things to do never goes away. I always add more just when I think I am almost done!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  11:50:41 AM  Show Profile
well hi girls, we are all busy for sure. the folks who bought cocoa a heifer cow called. she is for sale. i am trying to buy her back she is mini jersey and corriente. she is also A-2 A-2. so i would still have a little bit of my cow buttercup. she was a mini jersey who i had to put down because of cancer. so it is her baby. i am hoping. i am selling or butchering maddie. i am missing kris. what are you up to girl? good to hear from everyone. well i gotta go help in tumalo for a few hours. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  5:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherrye, Thanks for the advise regarding the goats. I think I will take my little grandsons to visit the petting zoo and check out their goats. :)

{{{hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  06:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele I am enjoying the break. Its been a long summer with a bummed right hand. I know what you mean about the chore list. I get some done and add more on. Its a never ending list but I'm never without something to do.
Sherry I hope you can get the cow. That would be nice and she sounds like a really nice cow. Hopefully she won't be too pricey.

I made to more batches of soap. My spicy winter pear I think is a flop. Its my first flop in 15 years. I think my temps were to warm when I started to mix the lye and oils together. After 15 minutes of stirring its got really thick and traced. Usually it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour of stirring. I went ahead and added the goat milk and essential oils big mistake. I looked in the molds this morning and there is seperation in the soap. I see oils floating on top. I've had good luck with soap making but its hard to swallow throwing away 9 lbs of olive,tallow,coconut oils and essential oils into the trash. It just about makes me sick. Oh well at least the other one is okay.
I am going to have to get new thermometers because I checked all 4 of mine and they all read a different reading. They were way off from each other. I just bought them about 6 months ago. I think this time I am going to order 2 good ones from brambleberry. Now I know why when I try to make fudge or candy they never turn out.

Kathlene I have Nubians and really like them. They have really wonderful milk. I don't know anything about the mini nubians. I am sure if you do a search you can find people on the internet that sell them and maybe you could email them to find out more.

Gotta run things to do. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  06:54:39 AM  Show Profile
linda sorry about your soap i have had this happen to me temps have to be perfect. my friend is a pastry chef she said thermometers need to be calibrated once in a while. not sure how but is a simple task. using ice water. might save you having to buy more. how is your hand today? we did the blood draws on the cows. sent them in mail. i so hope some are pregnant. i still have 3 to breed. i am selling some. well hold on to your hat girls. the fee for killing my hog and a cow is $1100.00 yikes. so i got on the phone and hopefully sold some. i have a cow who goes next. i will try to sell her first. she broke the fence yesterday and got out. a bucket of produce does wonders. as soon as she and her cohort in escape saw me pour out fruit she ran right in. silly cows. my neighbor fixed the fence for me. this morning i awoke to RAIN. oh my gosh. we had 2 tons of hay delivered after dark. i barely got the cover over. it was too small. thought oh i will do it tomorrow. it was starting to rain at 5 a.m. i jumped out of bed got a coat ran across to pasture and covered the hay. not my idea of how to start a morning. michele are you still milking any cows? i am getting burned out some. when papa gets back to help with chores and bins it will be easier. what do you pay for hay in your areas girls? i think i found some for $160.00 a ton.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  04:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye yes I am milking my cow, Connie. She has turned into a nice cow. I never would of thought it after the time I had for almost 4 months after she freshened. Making cheese, etc.
Produce or grain, if they are used to getting something yummy, it is easy to get the escapees back in! :) We have an over abundance of hay around here. Round bales are maybe 35-40 if your lucky. Small squares, I think they try to get 2.00 a bale. I have a two year supply of hay here. It is nice to have extra in case of a dry year.
Linda I don't think any of us on here can ever say " I'm Bored" ! :)
I hope to do a batch or two of soap today. I got to get some essential oils ordered today as well. I like the splurge of the scents in the soap! If the wind slows down, I need to get out and cut some wood. Work never ends.
take care all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  07:32:14 AM  Show Profile
hey michele, oh wow i wish you were closer. i would drive there for hay there is horse hay for sale here for 300.00 a ton. i think it is getting way too expensive. i was told a lot of our oregon hay was going to clif. for sales. it sure hurts us locals. heading out for bins in a couple minutes. i fed the sow hog 10 apples that were perfect. the cost 2.49 a pound. one apple is 2.5o. crazy world. i know the craziness of new cow moms too. belles calf is 3 weeks. she is still pooping and peeing in milk room. happens every year. it takes 2 months or more for her to settle down and milk out. we are still on antibiotics here. so no keepable milk. i have been super concerned about how we can afford feeding all our stock through this winter. when papa gets home our income will drop a lot. so yesterday a neighbor stopped by. she has rescue goats. she even dries her lawn clippings all summer for winter feed. she just got the spent barley account from a brewery. she has more than she can use. WOW WOW she offered some to me. i said a great big yes. so i will share produce with her. she will share barley with me. it is soaked and squeezed barley. it will surely help the feed bill. the chickens LOVE it. she filled bags of produce for her family and her goats. papa will learn her route when he gets home. then if she cannot go we can. it is a huge relief. i do still need WAY lots of hay for winter. i am still fighting the mastitus deal. we have another week of treatment and milk withdrawl. i sure hope it clears penny. heres hoping you all have fine farmgirl days happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  8:03:04 PM  Show Profile
well every one must be busy. we got our results back. out of 4 are prego. one is slightly prego. so that means it could be a dead egg. so we shall see what another test shows in a week. i am missing everybody. i know we did hay today. we cleaned the barn once again. so i know you girls are busy too. hope all is well for you farmgirls. belle got out this morning. she had a buffet for breakfast. she ate a little of this and that. she did not bloat. i was so glad. i had my stuff mixed and ready. she is a modest eater. if it had been penny she would be dead she is an endless pit for food. well happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  04:18:16 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on the good results Sherrye. I hope you have the same good luck with the mastitis issues. Be sure to dry cow treat those girls when you dry them off. It sure can't hurt after the time you have had.
I will either be cutting wood today or putting insulation board on our house. Husband has to work the weekend, so things got to get done. We are in the process of residing our old house. If we ever get that far. My sister may come down and help today. I did get 2 tractor bucket loads of wood cut on thursday. It is nice to see a stack of wood, even if it is small, it is a start.
michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  07:13:43 AM  Show Profile
How is everyone today?
We have enjoyed 3 really nice days. Before that we got slammed with tons of rain for days. Now they are saying rain is moving in tonight and we could get over 3 inches by friday. I am gonna try to get more done outside today before it hits.Have lots of stinky buck pants to wash and hang on the line. Trimmed hooves yesterday on the 3 bucks. What a discusting job......yuckaroo.

Made another batch of soap yesterday and it turned out good. I am a little gun shy since I had the last batch seize up and seperate. The one I made yesterday is called TLC. Teatree, Lavender,Citrus. It turned out super nice.....the scent is better than I expected.

Sherry we cleaned out barns yesterday too. I sprayed them down with bleach water to sanatize them. I have been fighting staph on a few of my goats and am trying to break the cycle. Michele glad you got some wood in it sure does make ya feel better. We still have wood to put up but we have about 2 or 3 cords up so far.We need at least 5 to get through the winter. I have already been burning wood the past few days. We got down to 30 degrees last night and it froze pretty good. Hope the flies don't thaw back out they have been driving me crazy this fall.

Hey Kristin where are you. I hope your okay and not sick or something. If I don't see you post this week I may try and call you to see how you are. Hope all is good with you and you are just busy.

Well off to work outside. Have a good one.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, glad to hear from you. i emailed kris to check on her. she said she was sooo busy with mrs. T and fixing things on her place. the staph you speak of is it udder staph or on them in a sore. i am still treating penny for the staph strep mastitus. do i use a 18 gauge needle for sub-q antibiotics. i have to inject 3 times. yuck. any way hazel will be done milking today. she gets a antibiotic with stuff for drying off for strep and staph. glad to be done. we will move her out this week. belle is doing good. still swollen udder 4 weeks into lactation. no heat just swollen. calf is doing great. so going to pick up my meat this week. one hog and one cow. then i am sending another to butcher. chores and milking are waiting. so i am off. sure am ready for my papa john to come home. this is truly hard alone. such is life he is drawing a check. this is a good thing. he will be home in a week or so. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  09:13:15 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you have horned dairy cows?

I'm planning on eventually milking some of my yaks, and I figure I'll just have to use the head catch set up from our squeeze chute or buy an extra. Their horns don't get all that wide (cows anyways), but I don't want them ripping up a weaker stanchion like some I've seen super tame milking cows in...

Any pictures of your set-up for milking would be great :) Thanks!

~Natalie~ Just a farm girl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  06:00:47 AM  Show Profile
hi there natalie, my mini cow buttercup had horns. she just turned her head sideways and slipped them in the head catch i prefer hornless but they usually have them. i have 4 yearling heifers with horns. i have no camera so will have to wait for a friend with a phone to take a picture. it is made out of 2 by 6 and 2 by 4s that are wood. it works great. hope this helps you happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  09:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all. It has been awhile since I have been here. It looks like a lot to get caught up on. I have been doing things around the farm to get ready for winter. And hubby was home for 5 days, so that means work! And I did work him. We made a buck yard. I put plastic up on all the stalls and coops. It's also breeding time here. My little ram Earl, has been a busy boy! Seems like the past few weeks, all he's been doing is jumping up on the 3 ewes. Goos grief, how long does it take anyway! There are only 3 ewes. And now I have a Nubian buck and a Lamancha buck, one for each girl. And it sure is a hassel. I used to only use one buck and would just throw him in with all the girls. So easy! But now I have to move these here and those there. And now I have young does so have to move them away from the bucks. Too much work! So it's been like a zoo here lately.

Looks like lots of you are busy with your farms and animals. I sure hope this winter is not like the last 3 we've had here. It's supposed to be 75 here today! I am going outside and knit after I get the dog food all done and in the freezer.

We are having a fiber fair near here in Nov. and I am so excited to go. Also a herding competition in Cartersville Ga that same weekend. I want to go to both. The fiber fair is only on Sat. so I can go to the herding thing on Sunday.

I hope all is well with everyone. Linda, it's good you're taking a break from milking. It will help your hand alot. How many does are you breeding this year?

Sherrye, how are all your cow girls?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  09:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Sherry the staph my girls have has been small sores on the udder and sometimes under their tail sometimes even in the inner ear on the babies. My young buck even has it on his suitcase (scrotum) I guess is the correct term but I like to call them suitcases.....lol. I had it cultured and its a very resistant form that was brought in from a buck I purchased 3 years ago. He had it when I bought him and the owner failed to tell me she had been fighting it for 2 years with him. I got really burned on that purchased because it is now a serious problem for me. He was so bad no antibiotic would clear him up after awhile. We had tried them all. The vet said he was a carrier and suggested we put him down because he was miserable.

In the beginning the lady I purchased him from kept telling me he had fungus so I was treating him for that. Later and lots of money down the road we got to the bottom of the problem through byopsies and many cultures but by the time I knew what was going a few of my does had it too.It took 3 vets and 3 labs to confirm what it was. Resistant staph is real tricky because it gets in the soil and into the barn wood. So I have been bleaching the barns and doing what I can.If I see a little spot I start treating it with mild iodine every other day and vetromyocin the other day.If its really bad I do injections. I hope to eventually get rid of it. I have been fighting it for over 2 years. If I had known what he had in the beginning he would have left then. But know one knew what was going on and the lady misled me.Just last year she admitted she had a serious problem with her herd and knew he had it too. But she wanted money and thought maybe I would figure out what the problem was and fix it.

Sherry I hope you get it all cleared up. What kind of antibiotic are you using? I was curious what kind of staph you were dealing with.

Well we have a really bad storm thats just rolled in and the lighting is bad. So I'm gonna go for now before the power shuts me down. Kris glad your okay and you are getting so much done.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  8:07:52 PM  Show Profile
it is staph intermedius. she is still sick. i am so frustrated i could shoot myself. i have tried so many things and she is still sick. fat floating on top of her milk in the can.used by poop i am now really going to give her shots. the girl came in the milk room with poop all over her. she is just a dirty cow. she poops laying down. what a mess. honestly i am a clean person. i am careful milking. with papa gone i am ready to throw in the towel. well i wont BUT maybe she will never get well, i used pirsue and then todays again. well she still is not right. you take care in the storm. we are going to be 15 degrees tonight. very cold. oh how i miss my man. kris so glad to hear you back on here. i missed you. so glad you had a good 5 days with your man. well time for bed. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  09:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Ok, just got the sheep pasture bush hogged and the garden too. SO I am going to move sheep over to the good grass at the bottom of the garden area on Sat. We are supposed to be getting about a half inch of rain today and tomorrow so I will leave them where they are with shelter til Sat. And I think I will put the goatie girls in the garden too. I sure wish we could get a tractor out back to mow down all that crap back there. It's really getting bad and the goats won;t eat that tall weedy stuff.

It's been beautiful here this week so far. Great temps and sunny days. The leaves are turning the most beautiful colors but really slow. The mountains are gorgeous. I am going up and over Lookout Mt. this afternoon and I bet it's amazing up there. I can see the top of the mountain and it's pretty.

Sherrye, how's the girls today? ANy improvement yet?

I just found out the other day that the girl I sold Sadie and Faith to a few years back has died of a massive heart attack. She was only 35. They have 5 young daughters and homeschooled them all. It's so sad and I can't stop thinking about this. It's so sad. I can't even imagine. So wouls y'all please remember this family in prayer? They will sure need it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page