Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:35:25 AM  Show Profile
It is STILL raing! It has not stopped since Sat. night. I have streams and lakes and ponds out there. My sheep won't even go out. I know I should not complain, but I really am not liking this. It could stop anytime now. Ok? We are under flood watches all over the area. I know they are probably getting people out of the apartment buildings not far from my mom's that always floods. So I am in for the rest of the day. I gave them all extra hay and grain and water. Although I don't think they need water. One good thing about this is I don't have to fill up water buckets, God is for me! Thank you!

And I think the green specks in the milk was something that got in while in the milkroom before I brought it inside. Because I just saw green stuff on the outside of the bucket. The milk tastes fine. I cannot bring myself to throw it out because I didn't get to milk today.

I hope y'all are dry today. I am hibernating the rest of the day. Im making bread and started a 30 day cake! I have wet dog towels all over from having to dry dogs off when they come in. They are worse than kids!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:56:11 AM  Show Profile
well i would stay in too kris. its been nice here. sure easier to do chores. lisa and i have been busy here. we went and got our boar hog. we are hoping to get our girl sammy bred. so major our big hog is home again. then we went to pasture and caught up 2 heifer calves. we have them in my yard off my bedroom. now when the weather is bad i can still work with them. they are soooo cute. yesterday we went to our friends house up on the hill. they are an off grid place. what hard work. they moved in in sept. we were there to look at a bull calf. he is out of my older bull i sold this spring. he is 1/4 jersey and 3/4 dexter. so we bought him. $800.00 in a trade value of papa laying block for them. he is colored like a jersey. we did it since we are having a time getting the 3 heifers across the road bred. i needed a bull that would throw small babies. he is very cute and 9 months. so he can get it done. KRIS i am glad its not mastitus for sandy. i think penelope will never be well i have tried all i know to do so far. i will probably breed her back and then dry her off. then when she freshens i will keep her calf and bottle it. today here is poop scooping day. just do not seem to be able to keep up on it. we did more rabbits too. i think it is an easy job raising and butchering rabbits. yet i have tons to learn. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  08:02:09 AM  Show Profile
I found out what the little green specks were in the milk bucket the other day. When I went out this morning to the milkroom, on the floor by Sandy's stanchion was a little baggie that I had put some coppertox stuff for sheep feet. It had a hole in it. I don't know how, but some got in the milk bucket. I did drink some but not alot. I am pouring it out now. I don't know if it was highly poisonous, but I don't think I want the animals to have any. I am ok though.

The goats are decinding to dry up theirselves. With all the rain we've had and the grass all but gone, they don't have alot to munch on. I wanted to dry them up the END of Dec. not the beginning. But they did this last year too. SO I will be buying $6.oo a gallon raw cow milk from my friend now. Early. Yikes! And this will be for a little over 3 months. I used to get 2 gallons a week. I think we might be drinking less milk this winter. How about y'all? WHere do you get milk while your cows and goats are dried up? Do you have a raw milk supplier or store bought or just do whithout?

It cold out there! It froze really good last night but supposed to be up to about 58 today. Freezing the next 2 nights but warm days. Yeah! Then rain on Monday. I think I like the frozen ground over slippery mud.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I have been buying organic milk at the store for about $6.70 a gallon. I hate buying it but my girls started drying up and I was only getting about 2 cups or less a day plus wanted to give my hand more time to heal. I won't be seeing any milk till at least April. I really miss my goat milk terribley bad.

We froze here last night also. At about 7:30 when i went out to do chores it was 22 degrees. I just went down and got the heated buckets out of the basement. Gonna get them cleaned up today and hook them all up. My buckets were frozen half way through. But one thing good was the sloppy muddy ground was frozen this morning...it was great not walking in sloppy soupy mud!!! We had about 8 inches of rain in a couple of days here. The sun came out yesterday and is out again today.I don't think its going to be any warmer than 43 today. Sure does lift my spirits to see the sun thats for sure.

Wow kris thats crazy about the green specks. Good thing you didn't drink to much.Did the milk taste funny when you tasted it? If you stained it before you put it away probably not that much really got in the milk. Glad she doesn't have mastitis. I am dealing with that now myself.

I have a doe that dried up about 5 weeks ago. She is 7 years old and never been sick or had mastitis. About 10 days ago I noticed her one side looked a little bigger. She was also shivering a little bit that morning. She had a fever and the one side of her udder was hot and hard. I got her in the stand cleaned her udder and decided to milk it out and see what I was dealing with. Four days before that I had just checked her udder and it was pefectly dry, soft and even. I was shocked at the blood, clots and water mess that came out. I felt so bad for her. I rubbed mastoblast udder balm and peppermint oil in. I went to the house and loaded up a shot of banamine and Genamiacin and pencillin combo and started her on that. By evening she was eating good and fever was gone. I did the antbiotics for 5 days and stopped and continued to milk that side out and put stuff on her udder. After 5 days off of meds I took a sample to the vet and now we are treating her with a strong sulfa type drug that comes in pill form twice a day for the next 20 days. I still see bloody liquid and now there are white cottage cheese like clots in it. Before there was no white clots in it just blood clots and pink fluid. Her udder hardness has gone down by 70 percent but I am so worried her udder on that side is shot. I have only had slight mastitis with my does over the past 19 years and never had a doe that was dried up do this before. Its been a very scary ordeal.

Anyway anybody have any suggestion or help I would greatly appreciate it.I just keep working on it every day with the balm, pepperment oil and udder massages and the meds. I just hope this clears up.

Well check back later. I need to clean the chicken coup while its sunny out. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  2:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I've again been too long absent but have been enjoying reading up on all your farm happenings,Sherrye,how is that cow of your doing?
I've been wondering how she's getting along with her mastitis and really hope it all works out for you.
I don't have a whole lot going on right now with the goats,I have five does bred,unfortunately my two Nigerian Dwarf does were accidentally bred to my Nubian buck and that's got me worried but trying to trust that nature will sort itself out and that we won't have any problems,has anyone had any experience with that?
I am not too Nigerian savvy so I have people telling me that they will kid just fine and others saying I should haul them to the vet to have the kids aborted and i have to admit that pushes my comfort level considerably so I have not pursued that.
My young buck had problems with urinary calculi and was blocked up but I managed to get his plumbing unclogged with lots of ammonium chloride,apple cider and chopped fresh parsley,I have yet to figure out what in his diet contributed to it so much because he gets a loose mineral mix with added ammonium chloride,I feed mostly grass hay and very little grain and have never had this problem before with a buck.
I'm still training both of the quarter horse colts,the bay is doing real well, boy he was working real nice with cattle and is just a lovely horse to ride,I would love to see him do ranch work or dressage,the owners were real happy with him too when they saw all he had been learning and how settled he was under saddle and bridle,makes me feel good that my program is working out.
The other one,a young paint colt is taking more time,he's a little harder to get next to and so his ridden work is having to be delayed in favor of more ground work.
I am also training my Daughters little Arab mare,we just adopted her and she's a nice little mare,she just doesn't have much handling but she's coming along and already I can pony her with my Daughter just being a passenger.
Sherrye,I liked Buck's movie too and have been following his training techniques for awhile,he's such a good and gentle trainer,I attended a horsemanship clinic he was featured in Eagle,Colorado and was really impressed with him,he is a shy guy but works magic with horses,he also has a couple books out that are real good.
Well ladies,I hope all is going well for you and your animals and that you're staying warm and enjoying the holiday season.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  06:22:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm new to the Farmgirl stuff here on the forum, but I've been enjoying reading through some of the previous posts. Heck, I feel like I already know some of you. :o)

I am so excited to say we are getting some bottle-feed babies from a dairy farm, and I can't wait to get on with it! I know my hands will be full, but I've wanted dairy goats for a while now, and it just kind of all fell into place. We're going to pick out two doelings, and I have all the supplies here at the house. Wish me luck, and I'd appreciate any and all words of wisdom any of you ladies can throw at me!

Thanks so much, and I look forward to sharing some of my adventures and misadventures in the very near future.

Kris B.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  07:50:50 AM  Show Profile
well howdy to you you will find this to be a great place to learn new things. i learn everyday here. for me there is nothing like babies. i bet you have so much fun. happy days ahead for you.so what kind are you getting? are they disbudded for you? just a thought sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, that sounds so scary with the buck. That is a fear of mine. I know that feeding corn to bucks can cause the UC so mine do not get any at all. If anything like this happens to mine though, I will be coming to you for advice. I am so glad you got him straightened out because all I have ever read about it is bad news and usually ends in death. So it is good to hear you got him over it.

Hello Kris. Welcome to the goat and cow place! I am happy for you! Getting goats is fun. Just make sure you have really good fences to hold them in. What kind will you be getting? I can't wait to hear more about your goat adventures soon.

I had to buy raw cow milk from my friend on Friday and it's nearly gone. With the hubby and 2 grands here, they go throu alot of milk. I almost want to go find a goat in milk and buy it for milk in the winter. I think it would pay for itself and I wouldn't have to worry about running out then. Just a thought.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  8:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome Kris B.first goats are always so exciting and then that excitement is repeated every kidding season when you get new little kids to fuss over and get to know,congratulations on your new goats,what breed will they be?
Kris that was a scary deal with that buck,it's something I hadn't ever dealt with before but knew a gal who helped her buck by giving him ammonium chloride so I did the same thing,I went out one day and he had his back humped up and when I stroked his back he retracted like it hurt him,it took me awhile to figure out what was wrong with him,it wasn't until he tried to pee that I caught on to what was going on so I purchased some ammonium chloride from the vet supply,it's supposed to acidify the urine and help to break up smaller crystals but from my understanding it won't help in the case of very large crystals or an extreme blockage so I was hoping it was still a minor case.
I gave him two teaspoons dissolved in apple cider and first I was giving it to him via drenching syringe and he took it willingly but after a couple days he started fighting and I read that ammonium chloride burns the throat (big oops) and so I started giving it to him through a stomach tube and drenching syringe,it took about two to three days before he started to improve and now he seems fine,I probably should have taken him to a vet because for all I knew he could have ruptured his bladder and died in that time but his blockage didn't seem too severe and he didn't seem completely blocked so I rolled the dice and held off and thankfully it all worked out.
Now I'm adding a little extra ammonium chloride to his loose mineral mix and we haven't had a recurrence.
I've read alot about it and there's so much conflicting information about what causes it,I've heard that corn,alfalfa and overconsumption of minerals and grain or too much phosphorous or too much calcium,etc..it's hard to know just what is right and then I've read other articles that say that they're not quite sure exactly what causes it so I'm confused,just glad it all worked out for my buck in this particular case.
I know what you mean about the milk thing,I'm used to having a big supply too and now I've gone ahead and let my does dry up and now I wish I had kept at least one of them milking.
Well,I hope all is going well for all of you gals and your animals!

Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  8:18:13 PM  Show Profile
When we got there, he only had one little girl left... He had a lady come in before me who wanted all of them, but he saved one for me because he knew I was coming. He still has a few does left to freshen, so he promised me first choice in the next batch this week. Now that we have her home, I'm kind of glad I only have one to start. LOL She's sleeping in a large dog carrier (hard plastic with the metal grate door that swings open) in our bedroom for now. I just didn't have the heart to put her out in the shed by herself.

Her name is Penelope, and she's a creamy tan Nubian who has not been disbudded yet. My friend's vet may be able to do it for me, so I'll be making a phone call tomorrow to find out. My husband had suggested just leaving the horns alone and letting them grow, but everything I've read HIGHLY recommends disbudding. I'm assuming most of you would agree to disbud.

We didn't get home until this evening, so she's had some milk and seems to be going to the bathroom pretty regularly. I'm hoping she'll finish even more in the morning. She's not quite taking the bottle 100% but I think she's making the connection. She tried nursing from our German shepherd, and Molly didn't know what to think of that!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  07:01:02 AM  Show Profile
congratulations on your baby. i am happy to hear she will not be alone. they hate to be alone. she will be so close to you and love you like a mama. it is fun feeding kids. happy days for you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  3:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Is it normal for it to take a couple of days before they get used to the bottle? It's only been 24 hours, but I was hoping she'd take to it quicker.

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  4:27:53 PM  Show Profile
Kris, how old is she and was she already being bottle fed? If she was being dam raised, yes, it will take a few days for her to get used to a bottle. What kind of nipple are you using? A regular baby bottle nipple or a long one? When a goat is small, they can have the regular baby bottle nipple for a few weeks then they need to switch to the longer nipple. ANd you need to hold your hand kind of over her mouth. Also when she is hungry enough, she will suck better. Did the people you got her from show you how to do this and how much milk to give her? She will only need to be fed twice a day. You can give a goat too much. You learn as you go so don't get discouraged. A way to tell if she is getting enough is to check to see if she is pooping and peeing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  07:57:18 AM  Show Profile
kris you are so knowledgeable with goats. wondering how it is going? i had it come to mind to mention this kris and grace reminded me when bottling to always have their head up. mimick the way a kid has to bend to nurse. this way the milk goes into the milk stomach. i was also over feeding my kids with milk love. the girls here helped me understand it was not good for the kid. i cut back on my milk and made sure they had good hay and or grass to eat also. just a thought. is she still in your house. we did this 2 yrs. ago had the babies in the soap room. it was very fun.
Well on a more serious note. penny is still not well. now the hard decision. do i sell her as a nurse cow? do i butcher her? (not sure i can) i love this cow. she is a great breeder, nurse cow. BUT if some one got her and decided to milk her or sell her as a milk cow NOT GOOD. i have not successfully killed the staph or strep. i am considering herbal infusions i found on line. they are golden seal etc. if i could feed her i would breed her. she costs as much to feed as a peoducing cow. she has great milk. you girls have any thoughts. she is also a dirty cow. my cow belle will be clean and penny has poop all over her. hard decisions.
On a lighter note heres a farm laugh. as we know men are single minded. so papa comes home with new hay. RIGHT off belle says oh yum new stuff. she is a food addict. i am sick in the house. he unloads and goes for another ton. it is nice hay. he stacks it RIGHT in front of their feeder in barn. she is on one side of gate and hay is one tongue lick to far. now belle weighs a good 1000 pounds. i hear her hay bowl being bounced around. its metal. then i hear the gate creeking. LOL i drag myself up. put on slippers and snow gear on top. its cold here now. i go check her WELL she has her front hooves on the upper rail of the gate. she has pushed it into the tractor wheel. the wheel stops the gate from caving in. so here is this huge cow standing up on the gate she is hanging over. papa will not be happy belle. she knocked the pile down. she was successful at reaching her bale. she was taught how to do this by betty boop. belle has watched betty for a year climb the fence for a bite. so she was sticking that jersey tongue as far over the gate as she could. she was hungry for a good part of her life. it was before we rescued her. so we know she is pushy. soooo glad the wheel was there. papa never gave it a thought when unloading the hay that belle would climb over for a bite. just thought you might enjoy the story. it is yummy hay. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  08:49:42 AM  Show Profile
She is 6 days old now and was 3 days when I got her. She was with mom until I picked her up, so she's very new to this whole bottle thing. I was using the long nipple slipped over a 20 oz water bottle, but now I'm using a regular baby bottle with a regular silicon nipple with the tip slitted open more. It's easier for me to handle.

Yes, she's still in the house. I have her in a large dog kennel in the bedroom at night, and she goes out to a toddler pen in the yard to play a couple times a day. She also gets lots of snuggle time on laps. She is peeing and pooping, and she seems to be getting a little better at the bottle. I would have thought that she would be eating more than she is, but I don't know. She has yet to finish an 8 oz bottle.

Thanks for helping me through this. We'll be picking up a 2nd kid by the end of the weekend so that Penelope is not all by herself, so I'm hoping I'll feel a little more confident by the time she comes along.

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  11:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Just keep offering her the bottle Kris,it sounds just right to me,goats on thier dams nurse small amounts frequently so try offering her small amounts frequently while you're adjusting her to the bottle and then gradually schedule it to suit you,too much milk at once often causes scouring.If she's having trouble taking the bottle and is getting overly upset,try covering her eyes,this sometimes helps for some reason with some animals when you're adjusting them to bottle feeding,it seems to help settle them down and quit them looking about and focus on the bottle.
I think disbudding is preferable,at one time I kept all the horns on my goats and didn't disbud at all and that worked for me,I didn't have any fence or goring accidents but every now and then I would get clocked with a horn while regular handling or milking so I do like that with disbudded goats that isn't an issue during handling,you don't have to worry about getting clocked with a horn on the face or otherwise and goats with horns do sometimes get into terrible accidents with fencing and break thier horns,etc..so overall I disbud now entirely though it's a very unsavory chore,having your vet do it is great if you only have a few goats to do so I would opt for that in your case.
Congratulations and good luck with your new goats,please keep us posted and let us know if there's anything we can help you with,I'm sure you will do just fine!

Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kathryn! That's very reassuring. :o)

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  3:02:00 PM  Show Profile
I hope things are working out with her bottlefeeding Kris,as long as she's consuming something and is increasing in her weight gain and looking thrifty you're doing alright,weighing them is one of the most reliable ways to tell how your feeding program is working.
Sherrye I would hate to see you have to sell off your cow,don't get discouraged,mastitis can sure take a long time to heal,there's so many nooks and crannies in an udder that sometimes it just takes alot of time,I know the herbalist Susun Weed treats mastitis or other infections in livestock with echinacea tincture mixed with a dropperful of poke root mixture and I have used that with much success in the few animals I have treated for mastitis.
On a personal note,I will let you know that in my wilder younger years I got both of my nipples pierced and a few years after having them pierced I developed a severe breast infection or mastitis in my right breast and after being on antibiotics multiple times and having multiple surgeries it still took THREE YEARS for it to fully heal because it developed antibiotic resistant staph bacteria,in fact it didn't heal until I started poulticing with burdock root and slippery elm powder and taking a regimen of herbal tinctures,I still have terrible scarring from it and use my story to scare young teenagers from ever doing such a mutilating thing to themselves as having thier nipples pierced,feel free to repeat my story to anyone considering such a thing!
Anyways,I tell you all this just to use as an example to illustrate that healing from mastitis can sometimes take alot of time whether you are a cow,a goat or a human being!
So now that I have grossed you all out,please keep at your cow Sherrye,I'm sure that she will heal with your loving care and persistence,if you're interested in herbal treatments alot of times you can e-mail Susun Weed and she or one of her herbal apprentices will answer you,she's a very loving and caring woman and has helped me immensely with my own healing and that of my goats as she is also a goat keeper and I am sure that her methods could apply to cows as well.

Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  7:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Ouch! Thanks for sharing your story about your experiences with the infection after your nipple piercings...

Penelope seems to be doing great, and her appetite has increased noticeably today compared to yesterday. As long as she keeps on like this, I'm sure she'll be fine. She had a great romp with me outside this afternoon, too. :o)

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  7:26:06 PM  Show Profile
yes i would love to email her. i spoke with penelopes previous owner tonight. we are trying to decide. i have been at this for 4 or 5 months with her now. so tough decisions here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  8:27:45 PM  Show Profile
It is a tough decision to keep or cull an animal with health problems,has she always had a history of mastitis infection?
My grandmother was an herbalist and midwife and she used to tell me that when dealing with recurring infections like mastitis in livestock that she believes that it is the same infection that never really went away but repeatedly flares up again and that was sure true of my own infection,just when I thought it was gone it would flare up again.
I hope that she recovers for you Sherrye,it is very frustrating and discouraging to deal with something like that for so long,I'm sure you'll make the best decision possible whether it's to keep or cull her.Keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  8:28:44 PM  Show Profile
oh my gosh thanks kathryn. we are waiting to hear from the previous owner again. i have been brainstorming trying to find a use for her. she needs to pay her way in life. just like us and all the animals here. so i am a soap maker. so now i am thinking maybe i could use her milk for soap. what she has is minute. sub-clinical like yours where it does lay dormant till stress. then flares its head. it is not the bad staph but an environmental type. i also think her diet here in the end may help her immune system. yes please share herb ideas. drugs did not work. we have access to almost every veggie in the stores. so if there are foods to help her also i am all ears. any way if i were to make cow milk soap it has to be heated anyway. so bacteria would be dead. i could label the soaps named after her and her story. just thinking and throwing ideas around. she is such an amazing girl. i bet she could walk down main street in a parade with a band and do great. she is a fine girl. well i am still hoping to hear more about our new baby goat here. i feel bad now i forgot your name. if i go check on a page back i will lose my post. anyway wondering if you got another baby yet? is she still sleeping in your house? i am so jealous. they are so cuddly. happy days to all you girls. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  8:30:39 PM  Show Profile
O.K. KRIS, i looked back and its another kris. so mamabulla (kris) hows your baby? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile
I was also wondering how Kris B.'s little goat was doing and whether the other one has arrived yet?
I love little kid goats and can't wait to get some though I've been noticing these past few days that my Nubian does,who were all bred in October are showing heat signs again,not very strong ones but they're twiddling thier tails and I'm seeing roughed up hair where they might be mounting eachother as does sometimes do.
I'm perplexed and wondering if they didn't take or if this is a remnant of heat cycles?
Last year one of my does,Ginnie,was bred in November and then she showed some heat signs sometime after but she wasn't interested in being serviced again and then we had an ultrasound that confirmed that she was pregnant with twins.
I don't know,it's frustrating and money is tight so I had hoped not to have the expense of hauling them to the vet to confirm the pregnancy,I'm hoping this is just a fluke and a repeat of last year's false heat.
Sherrye I think soap making would be a good idea for your cow's milk,maybe her mastitis will heal eventually and you can use it for table milk but in the meantime the soap would be a good alternative,I have a good recipe for milk soap if you need one,I make a few batches every year of goat's milk soap.
You could also use the milk to fatten out a pig as well as another option or in combination with your soap making.
Susun Weed advises mixing a bottle of echinacea tincture with a dropperful of poke root tincture as a treatment for mastitis,poke root can be toxic in large amounts but is a powerful immune stimulant and useful for treating mastitis and lung infections,I've used it to treat both mastitis and pnuemonia in my goats.
Well,it would be nice to hear what's going on with everyone,it's been quiet lately around here.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I am going to put my bucks back in with the girls this week just to make sure before I send the bucks down the road. They sure don't look very pregnant if they are. Usually by now they are showing a little around the middle. The bucks are looking a bit scrawny too. Maybe I need to up their feed and hay some more. And worm the bucks too. I hope all your girls are pregnant.

Sherrye, I am sure all those pigs would love the milk. And some soap would be good too. I'm sure you can find ways to use it up. And I would think the more you milk her the better she'll get eventually.

It's getting colder here. And muddy. I am ready for spring. But it makes it feel more like Christmas when it's cold. I have been doing some decorating around the house. My sister and 2 of her kids and SIL and granddaughter will be here after Christmas and I'll have my grands. SO I am excited to have some company. What are y'all doing for Christmas?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page