Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  2:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Ok cow vaccine question... does everyone give yearly vaccinations? I want to be a free of anything in their systems so wondering. I know they were vaccinated when they were born by the guy we bought them from and would be due again so wondering. Also what is they got pregnant before vaccine? I am new to cows

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  2:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I myself have not vaccinated Mazie and her bull calf, Chuck, has never had any shots at all and he's 6 months old now. I'm sure I should but just never have and they are both very healthy. But they are by theirselves too. I guess in a big herd, you may need more pratection.

I do know with goats you have to be careful what you give them when they are pregnant or they will abort. So I hope someone has good answers for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:02:50 PM  Show Profile
I do vaccinate my beef. Only because we had problems. I had some calves being born dead, with the afterbirth coming first. Not sure if it was lepto or not, as didn't have any tested. But we do have deer around. Since vaccinating, no problems. I normally use pyramid 10, but couldn't get it this spring. Course I can't find my receipt right now. Okay just found the receipt, but can't read it! :) Alot depends on what you will be doing with your herd. If you are selling live, then you will need to vaccinate. For the steers I am raising I don't vaccinate. Heifers I do. People usually want them up to date on shots and weaned when selling calves. Ask your vet what is best used in your area. My dairy heifers would be vaccinated for Bangs. Also I worm all the animals in the fall, when they come down from pasture. I use a pour on wormer.
Most vaccines used say to give them before the cows are bred. I do this in the spring, when they go to pasture, and then the bull is put in with them.
Good luck with this.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:12:39 PM  Show Profile
We will use them for meat for us or probably sell for meat to people as have people tell me to let them know when we will have some. The vet suggested Bangs when she was out for a visit something about being able to sell the meat then anywhere??

I appreciate any info.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  7:34:08 PM  Show Profile
hi there, here it depends on what the animal is used for. like the girls said. i always do bangs on my girls. we use an organic and or safe for dairy wormer pour on. if my cows are going to some one elses pasture i vaccinate for sure. now with freckles having warts, i will vac. for that for sure on any new stock. we have some sort of rot or fungus on our 2 girls from the vallet here. they are wet and warm so lots of icky things. i used acv on their hides. seems to be helping. we use acv in our plastic water tanks to help with keeping worms at bay. so if your area is prone to something like deer who carry things then i surely would. all good advice and the vets know your area too. yes there are things not to be given to pregnant cows so i would check first. happy days for you. i just love cows sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  7:40:05 PM  Show Profile
hi kimberly, i meant to comment on the A-2 deal. if you go to the devil in the milk ( just google those words) it will come up. some cows have milk that has a broken casein protein molecule. 90 percent of u.s. cows in dairys are A-1. A-2 cows have a perfect molecule. it is more the size of goat molecules. it is not broken so easy to digest. folks wh have problems with milk many times can tolerate A-2. it is tested through dna out of tail hairs. you send to u. c. davis genetics lab. only 25.00 dollars. so i have been working toward a dual purpose breed for milk and beef that is small and A-2 milk. also you can go to realmilk.com hope this helps. i am very excited. we are seperating the milk from A-2 and the A-1 girls. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  9:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherry - Very cool. I'd never heard of this before. I've heard that certain breeds of cattle have milk easier to digest than others too. What I had been told was they were trying to figure out why so many Americans had milk allergies and so few Europeans did. The conclusion they came to was the cows the milk was coming from. Apparantly, Brown Swiss and Jerseys have easier to digest milk than Holsteins. The majority of America's dairy cattle are Holsteins and in Europe they use the Brown Swiss and jerseys. Ever heard of this theory before? You'll have to keep us updated on your breeding program it sounds very exciting.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile
you are right on. i think with the allergies. europeans figured this out a while ago. they have changed their dairies to A-2. the states here are always slower. it is catching on in calif. that state seems to be first at modern things. so the small organic dairies are changing over. i have a cow or two that are not A-2 and i love them a bunch. so will keep them anyway. some folks do not care. others care about the milk eggs meat etc. how we grow and how we butcher etc. brown swiss and guerensey are prone to be A-2. not all jerseys but some are. it was wonderful to have them both be A-2. mauddie cripple cow we will dry off. she can be just a cow for now. that is if her a.i. took. i will know next week. i think the breeding part is very interesting. my favorite part is training calves. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  2:21:20 PM  Show Profile
The cast is off! It looks like she has a good callous on the break. So I just have to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get bumped or hit. She should be ok with just the other 3 girls. I will put her up tonight in a stall with her momma. She's going to be the oldest doe still nursing her momma because of all this. If I can ever get the buck yard built, then I can put Penelope and Zarah in the back yard.

I also brought home a very stinky buck. He was the most handsome of them all. Well, for right now anyway. He's got a nice small head. He was born in Feb. so still young yet. He's a light reddish browninh color. Kind of in between Penelope and Sandy's colors. Very handsome. But stinky! The ride home was not pleasant at all. I named him John Henry. He's Lamancha. And the other buck is Tom Dooley. Both bad boys.

It has been so nice this past week here. Wonderful fall weather. No AC for over a week now! Hope it stays this way. I am ready for fall but not winter yet. Trees are already turning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, i cannot express how happy i am for zarah. plus i know how much you love your critters. do your knew boys have horns? i bet the lamancha is gorgeous. my girls are coming into regular cycles too. i have not decided if i will breed this go round. i have 5 bucks to well actually wethers to butcher still. i am like you were buckless. how old is a buck when he has working parts? i do have gingers buck i could use for all but her. when he is done with his job we will butcher. i butchered a 1 1/2 year buck once this last year. he dressed out nice and was not strong. i did kill him when he was not in breedinh mode. we are in the 90s for weeks now. this thurs. we should start to cool down. i do indoor house stuff usually. so we went and picked up 3 wiener pigs. so we have 7 on the ground. we send mama pig friday to butcher. going to have a lot of sausage and burger and pepperoni sticks. we have one beef in and one BIG mama hog going. so we will be good for meat for awhile. i sell a LOT of burger well gotta get chores done. i slept till almost 8. oh yawn happy day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Why are boys such babies? They just whine all the time. I took Zeke back up the road so just have the 2 bucks in the back yard now. I have got to get them moved up front. All I smell is buck stink. It is NASTY! But the new buck is very cute.

Yesterday, after I put him in with Tom Dooley, I went in to call my friend to see about taking Zeke back down there. I came back outside and was standing by the milk room. I heard a noise at the door and looked and I saw a goat inside. I had to do a double take. That new buck was INSIDE the milk room! I went in to see how in the world he had gotten in. I saw blood on his head, then his front leg. Then I saw the broken glass in the window. It's on the side next to the back yard where the bucks are. Good thing the milk room door was shut. He's ok. The cuts weren't deep, just surface cuts. I mixed up aloe gel and turmeric and put on them. I put a big piece of plywood in front of the window and gave them some hay and got Zeke and took him up the road. When I got back the boys were still there. And he's fine today. Just whiney. I go out there and sit with them awhile. They are both dehorned. I can't have horns here. And a buck can actually start doing his thing at about 4 months on. I have been using bucks the last few years that were just 7 months old. John Henry was born in Feb. and Tom Dooley in April I think. I won't put them with the girls til I get back from S. Ga. toward the end of Oct.

I would love to have another pig. I saw some on CL that are the older breed of pig for just $50. each and cut too. I might try to make a pen out in the garden for one.

I have to make a buck yard up front fast. I am selling 10 hens today and hopefully the turkeys so I will have money to buy chicken wire and boards for the chicken coop run. I want only enough chickens for us right now. I have to down size. And it sure is nice to not have chickens running around all over the place. Just a few is ok but 40 is way too many. So I will have some more work to do this week. I hope this guy will want some game chicks too. I have 6 I need to sell. Plus if he wants the other 8 that are running around, I might just give them to him if he wants to catch them.

And I think I will sell Mazie and Chuck too. I want a few more sheep. They are about the easiest animals to have in my opinion.

That's pretty hot out there, Sherrye. It's been real nice here. Have not had the AC on in over a week. No humidity makes it so much nicer and able to make it without the AC. I hope y'all cool off. But you don't have too many days that hot, do you? Seems like it just did get hot there.

Y'all have a great day!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  1:02:03 PM  Show Profile
oh my kris, sometimes i fel just like you are now. only for me i just love variety. so since we have produce coming in i need more animals. as long as we have produce we will have a lot of animals too. so i just bought 10 rabbits and one buck. i am picking up 4 chickens this afternoon. i am selling cows though. keeping the best toward my goal. thanks for the heads up on buck fertility. well gotta go to a store. i rarely do that. so yack at ya later. happy days to you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  4:32:18 PM  Show Profile
It's SO stinky here! That's all I smell now. Buck stink. It ain't perty at all. And the new guy has been hanging out at the fence with Abby and she is not leaving. Silly goat. I don't know if I can do this. How do y'all do it with bucks all year long? Are they miles from your house? Or do you board them somewhere else? Surely the back yard is NOT the best place to put 2 stinkin' bucks at this time of year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  09:15:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.
The young aracauna hen is still alive. She will have a permament messed up wing. I treated her with antibiotics(SMZ liquid) and 1/3 baby asprin twice a day plus a mixture of electrolytes and fruit juice. I sprayed her with vetrocyn twice a day also. It took her over a day to come out of shock but I think she is going to fully recover besided the permament bummed wing. We cut down 2 trees that were near the electric netting. No racoons have been in the run since. They were climbing up one tree and jumping into the chicken run onto another tree. So they are cut down and they lost there tree they were crawling in on. I found this out by sitting outside until 10:00 at night and watched them. They sure are smart creatures. So they are gonna have to find a new place to get food like at the creek down the road. Anyway thats whats going on there.

Kristin so glad Zara has her cast off and she is healing. Does she limp at all now that the cast is off?

I know how everyone feels with stinky bucks. I have an older one and 2 young ones. Put it this way I shower twice a day because they always manage to get their stinky all over me. Once about Febuary rolls around they start going out of rut and the smell on mine starts to fade. So they are not bad stinky all year just part of it.

Sherry hope the new antibiotics kicks the mastitis. Glad to hear about the A-2 cows that must be very exciting. I have learned so much about that from you. I never knew there was such a thing at A-2 cows.... thats really super cool.

Well I am off to finish rendering fat for soap. You all have a super day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  4:07:32 PM  Show Profile
well i am happy your hen is better. i will have my young buck back here in a few weeks. i am using him for my girls that are not related. then he is gone. we have 5 wethers to butcher when the snow flies. its still hot here. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  4:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda. Zarah is limping and not putting all her weight on that leg yet. My friend said she would be like this awhile. The break is healed as good as it can be. She's so sweet ad so pretty. I was just out there feeding all the critters and Penelope came out to the back chicken coop with me and I snuck her some scratch. I told her not to tell anyone else. She is growing and is so cute too. This is the first time I have kept one of my doelings and has been years since I bought one. So I will have to wait til next year to breed them. I am still wanting to get those 2 Nubian doelings too. I think they are a few months older than these 2. They might be big enough to breed later this fall. Or even later winter for later spring kids. I will see.

I am glad your hen is better and that you have had no more visits from that mena creature.

Si I have til at least February before the stench goes away? I am for sure going to loan these guys out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  08:09:59 AM  Show Profile
I just sold 10 hens and the 3 turkeys!! I am $125. richer. For a few minutes, anyway. I have to go buy some 4x4's and some chicken wire and hinges and 1x4's. Then I can start making a run for the rest of the chickens. I counted them and think I have 14 Buff hens, 4 Americana hens and a Barred Rock hen. Then 8 game hens which I will never be able to catch, even at night, because they roost as high as they can get in the trees. I also still have 6 little game chicks that have got to go. So this will help a little bit. It's still a lot of chickens but with the turkeys gone, it will be easier to feed the sheep now.

It is so hot right now. I have started walking again and can't stop sweating. I will not turn on the AC. It is off for the season. It has to start cooling off soon. It is actually cooler outside. I hope it's cooling off a little for you out there, Sherrye.

Where did all our goat girls go? I miss you all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm a goat girl!!!

So my little doeling got the runs. Scared the wiles out of me. I don't do well with anything I love being sick or hurt. Basically it was brown liquid. That can't be healthy. So I went to the computer and figured out what I thought it was. The next day no better so I contacted the vet and she agreed with my diagnosis. I'm very fortunate that the vet just lives right down the road so packed up the kids and we went to visit the vet. Came back with some medicine. She said not to freak out if it took a week to improve. But by the next day her bowels looked like putty and today, they're round balls again! So thankful. Got some different medicine for the lung worms I think I'm battling in my buckling. We'll see if it worked.

Still putting up with rutting bucks. I know it won't be such a big deal once I've got my set up finished. But that's not going to get finished until after harvest so I'm trying to be patient and just deal with it.

My Holly is supplying all the milk right now. She's keeping us in milk, yoghurt and ice cream and on top of that giving some everyday to my dog who is lactating and my kittens who are to skinny for my preference. The kittens are learning the rules. Don't go on the stanchion while I'm milking. So they sit by my feet and look up at me and the milking pail with such longing.

I've probably said this before but I'll say it again..... I LOVE my goats. How did this happen? I've always been a cowgirl who adored horses and loved working cattle. And now I'm definately a goat lady. :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  8:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, what was wrong with the doeling? And how does a goat act that has lung worms? Do they cough alot? My little Penelope Jane coughs quite a bit. Not all the time but it does worry me. I thought maybe she was getting pneumonia so I did give her Pro Penn for several days but she is still coughing. So I am thinking maybe she has lung worms. I got her from a little farm over the ridge so who knows what they have. I did get an email from them saying they were having a hard time with worms right now. Anyway, just wondered. And what are you giving him for it?

When I milk I have 3 cats anxiously waiting for the bowl. And the 2 big dogs get squirts on the stanchion and Sophie gets a little bowl full. It's so funny.

I went to take the crate back to the guy I got Tom Dooley from. He was out in the back of his property with all his does. He must have at least 20 Nubians. And I saw the 2 doelings I am going to get. They are so pretty. One is a dark reddish brown all over. The other is lighter with the white frosted ears. I am so excited to be getting them. I already have names for them. Trudy and Brie. I will get them when I come back from S. Ga. the middle of Oct. But I want them right now. When I do get them I will put Zarah and Penelope up front with them and I will have to start milking twice a day then. That's why I want to wait til I get back.

It's good to hear from you, Kimberly. I am still working out living arrangements here too. It's never ending. Just ask Sherrye!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 14 2011 8:54:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  9:33:06 PM  Show Profile
We're guessing she had Coccidia. It's a parasite. All goats have it to some degree but when it gets bad then it's bad and you have to get it back down to controlled levels.

He was always coughing. Sometimes it sounded like he wanted to cough up a lung other times it was just an annoying cough. But always there. The vet gave me Ivermectin Plus. The Plus one has the lungworm ingredient the normal Ivermectin does not. At least that's what the vet said. She said to give it as an injection so I did and she also said I'd only have to do it one time not every so many days. So now I wait to see what happens. She also said that if he had had pneumonia as a baby he could have left over damage from it and it would just be there but of course we don't know if that's something that he had we're just going after lungworms and seeing where we end up.

Getting goats is just so much fun. I'm still itching to get some Kiko or Boer does because I'd like to get a little more into the meat end of things but I've got to wait until I'm set up better. And until I have some money...... LOL You need to post photos of your girls.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  06:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kimberly. I will call my friends where I got Penelope from and ask them some more questions. I did notice some of their little kids coughing as well. And with her emailing me about worm questions, that kind of makes me wonder more. She seems healthy other than that cough. And apparently the Pro Penn has not worked so it must be something else. Has your buck stopped coughing since you wormed him?

It's supposed to be in the mid 70's here the next few days!!! I am getting some of my fall things out. I have a pretty green and yellow-orangish table cloth and some leaf candle holders. I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and found some pumpkin salt and pepper shakers. They won't be used as that but will be pretty on the table. I use sea salt and that cannot be shaken out of a shaker. And we grind pepper. But they are pretty. What do y'all do for fall? We still have a week til the first day of fall but I am ready for it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. We had rain come in last night and with it came the cool front. It went from 87 to 50 degrees by morning. The rain cleared out the sun came out. Its clean, clear. and a crisp 62 degrees. I was so excited about this weather that I built a small fire in the fire place and lit a pumkin spice scented candle.

I bought some pie pumpkins to set around to look at and some to bake for pie pulp. I put my fall wreath on the front door. Today I also cleaned the back room and washed all my spinning wheels up and will put some lemon oil on them tomorrow. I washed the walls down and the window sills in the back room as well as the windows. After chores this morning I went up the hollow and found about 54 buckeyes for decoration. I am having a fall party for friends and family the first of October and wanted some natural decoration on the tables. If the leaves change in time I will get some of them for the table also.Don't ya just love fall when the weather is cool and sunny? It gives me new energy to tackle stuff that in the heat of the summer I just didn't get to.

I am still milking my doe Bean the Wean once every morning. Her fat baby Sparkle Bean nurses her the rest of the time. Mind you this baby is 6 months old. She looks rediculious laying on the ground nursing her mama. She is almost the same size as her mama. Beans a good mother thats for sure.

Sounds like lung worm to me too. I dealt with that about 15 years ago when I got a new doe. She did the same thing. I wormed her every 10 days for a total of 3 times and the coughing slowing subsided. She was fine after that. Hope she clears up for you. Well I'm off to eat dinner. Made a cheese potato ham cassarole. I can't wait to eat it I am so hungery. I think its the cool weather. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  5:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Linda, that casserole sounds way too good. I'd love the recipe if you have time. It's almost freezing here. It was only about 67 today and supposed to be really cold tonight. I want to get plastic up on the chicken coops and the goat barn and all that good stuff. It sure does feel good. I got my fall kitchen swap package today from Connie in Tn. and got a really smelly pumpkin candle. I want to go ahead and light it. I also have some other fall stuff ready to put out.I need to clean tomorrow. Hubby's going to be here this weekend, I hope.

So did you use the Ivermec also, Linda? I just have the regular stuff. I'll go ahead and give her some in the morning.

Your Sparkle sounds like Zarah and her momma. When I get the 2 new does I will separate them. I just don't want to right now. And Zarah's leg needs to heal some more before I change anything up like that. SO I will wait and let her have her momma's good milk. I have enough with just Sandy's right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  07:39:52 AM  Show Profile
so we have been so busy these last coup;e days. papa is gone to wyoming. yipee he has some work. not a lot but some. so i am holding the farm together. what a big job. as i have said before you girls who are alone and doing this a amazing. we brought the milk cows in so it would be easier for me. penny still has mastitus. she gets a shot today. i so enjoy papa being here i miss him a lot already. he will be gone at least a month. we have some one picking up produce bins for me. so yesterday the farm was a buzzing. we had 2 families rendering fat. some folks helped haul hay and such. then lisa and julie came. we went a bought 2 week bull calf to help penny get well. she immediately tried to kill him. so we have them in stalls next to each other. the calf with no name yet latched on and had a good drink while i milked with the machine. now this morning i am doing it with out help. i am a little nervous to do it alone. he is very cute. he is a holstein calf. i hope it will help penny get over her mastitus if i can get him to nurse that quarter. right now just nursing is a challenge. so heres hoping. so we sent mama pig to the butcher. we brought our other sow home from my friends place. we will see if she will breed back. i have not gotten a hanging weight yet. i bet she will hang at around 450 pounds. she looked good not too much fat. we also bought 3 more wiener pigs. they are 5 weeks old. they are so little when i look at the other piggies here. sooo cute when they are small. so we have a beef and a hog into the butcher. so lots of good meat to sell and eat.we did also finally get unemployment to wave their error. so we have a small check from unemployment when he is not working. so thats a relief. it is quiet here. i bet your all getting ready for winter. i could use some more firewood still. i need to close in the barn some too. well belle is pregnant. the calf kicked me. it might be next month before she calves. i am so excited to see whats in there. i love her milk too. i bet those new goats are loving their new home. i am a lover of lamanchas. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  06:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I do not know how you do all you do. You are amazing. Please be careful milking by yourself now. And I hope the new calf will be ok and that Penny will accept him. I am so happy for you that the unemployment thing was all fixed! And that your hubby has work, even though it's away from you. It won't be for too long and he will be back home again. I am still thinking about a pig. Just 1 pig! I will not do it again with someone else because it never works out where it's 50/50. I always end up paying way more than they do. So a pig just for us is all.

Me and my granddaughter Chloe got up on the barn roof Saturday and patched up all the holes and rips in the metal roof. It is pretty old but not too awful bad. It just leaked too much for a goat to like. It's raining today and when I took hay in to the barn, I only saw a few little tiny leaks that I missed. So I put the water bucket under them. ANd I put the blankets up over the openings to keep them warm and dry.

When I first went out there I was in the first stall and heard a noise. It thought it was a chicken trying to get out but it was a big kitten. It is of course a wild kitten and wanted away from us real fast. But I hope it comes back in. I need a barn cat. I'll take some food out there after awhile for it. So I might have a "real" barn cat!

Also got 3 sacks of concrete mix to go around the bottom of the chickne coops. When it rains it floods inside and that's not good. SO I will mix it up and put it all around the bottom where there are gaps. When we had all that rain on Labor day it was flooded in the first coop where I keep the chicks. Ducks would have loved it. Chicks do not.

SO I am slowly trying to winterize everything around here. Everyone is all dry right now. SHeep up front in their stall with straw bedding and a hay rack full of hay and a water bucket. They don't mind rain like the goats do. Tehy will go out in it and be fine. ALl that nice thick wool I guess. And the bucks are in the back yard. They have a nice dry shed to go in also. They want to be right there next to the girls so they are a little bit unhappy with the girls in the barn and they can't see them. Yesterday Abby and Sandy were teasing them horribly. Poor John Henry. I thought he was going through the fence a few times. But he will have to wait til Oct. I do not want Feb. babies.

I hope all is well with everyone and their critters.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page