Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  07:13:02 AM  Show Profile
it is good to hear from you linda, you were so busy wow. i know it feels good to have the canning done. i have done very little of it this yr. well we are not doing to good with the A.I. i think neither of the cows took. so starting over. i am waiting for good news for zarah. i bet her leg is all healed now. we have 6 fires here. 65,000 acres burning the smoke is so thick. well hippo goes to butcher today. i sure ope she tastes good. she is about 7 yrs. old. she is just too pushy. we are keeping her heifer calf though. well time to milk. have a fine day girls happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  06:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Sherry I seen on the news about the fires. Are these fires close to you? Hopefully some of us will get some rain and the ones getting to much will stop. I am going to get going I need to set up the sprinklers today. I tried holding off for rain but it never came and if I don't water now I will have no yard at all. Some of the yard I think has gone to far already. After that its painting again.I emptied the hutch out so I could scoot it away from the wall and paint. That thing weighed a ton even with the stuff out.

Catch you ladies later and have a peaceful day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  06:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Well, Aug. was officially the driest month here on record. Heard that last night on the news. And there is not a chance of rain til maybe next week. And yesterday, while watering the animals, I smelled smoke. Then I saw a trail of smoke across the road at the neighbors. Scared me though. Right now we do not need to be burning anything! I also heard my other neighbor out with her lawn mower. I thought, what the heck is she mowing? ANyway, we need rain bad.

It is SO nice to just have my 4 goat girls again. They are all so happy. I let Zarah and Penelope in the milk room while I milk so they can eat in peace without chickens trying to get their feed. And that little Zarah is just like her greedy momma, Abby. So I put Penelpoe up on the 3rd stanchion and she ate there. She's still a little short. Then of course Zarah had to jump and she is just right. She's going to be tall like Abby. She has the prettiest long sleek neck too. So we have our little rythym going again here.

I am still thinking about getting the 2 little Nubian doelings soon. Then I will put the littles in the back yard. I need to come up with the money now. They won't be old enough to breed til next year so that'll be a whole year of feeding them for nothing.

And my wether, Zeke, had a messy rear yesterday. So giving him Kaopectate right now to see if that'll help. And I think I will not be giving the boys any more grain. I think that just messes them up. So just hay and grass for them. And I am thinking when I take Maizy up the road I will put all the boys together. Chuck is going on 6 months old so he should be ready to wean soon. I was just going to leave him on her as long as she would let him. But I'd have to see if he could come with her then. And he's still a bull calf. But maybe then they could get him castrated. So lots of animal stuff going on here. And if Earl is separated from the ewes, who he has been with all this time, when I put him back in with them in late Oct. early Nov., then they might be in heat and he will be a few months older. We shall see.

And when I take Zarah next week to get her cast off, I will be looking at some of my friends Lamancha bucks. I need one. The I will have my Nubian buck and Lamancha buck, just for my girls here. I do not think I will loan them out. I might to my friend who I got Penelope from though. I know her herd is healthy.

Sherrye, I hope the fires aren't too close to you there. How is that going today? ANy of them out yet? How's Tatoo? Have you ridden him yet? I can't wait to see pictures. And I am so glad Kristi lives so close to you so she can give you horse advice.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  07:19:14 AM  Show Profile
goddmorning farmgirls, we we have a small break in the wind. so the smoke is better. it is now at 90,000 acres. there are 4 fires. one highway has been closed on and off. the fire jumped the road. we are in the path for the fire planes. i can hear one rumbling in now. its hard to believe but we FROZE last night. i had the heater on in the greenhouse. as i type there is ice on my car. crazy place we live. so tatoo is doing great. today we will go for a walk. i am not riding yet. i need help with that. its been a LONG time. we are still dealing with unemployment. they gave us our 5,000.00 dollars and now they are taking money out again. so now we need to appeal again. what a waste of time and paper. sounds like you all are super busy too. linda you can come here and finish my painting too. LOL kris it is calmer and nicer when there are fewer goaties. we have 3 does here is all. so peaceful. we are trying to decide about more pigs. we have the food for them from produce runs. just need to build pens. so much to do before the snow flies. still fussing over getting all the girls bred. wish it was done. hard to tell when is the tight time for A.I. kristi if you read this you can still come het your horse radish root. well gotta go milk. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  06:59:26 AM  Show Profile
well i thought i would say good morning to you all. things are good here. belle is starting to look pregnant now. she is due the 30th this month. we have been busy getting ready for winter. today i hope to make soap. the cows are good. all except penny. she has been a problem since we got her. she has one quarter that is still bad. i hate it. i may try colloidal silver. do you girls have any ideas. it has a scab on the tip that will not heal. the milking irritates it. so frustrating. hope all is well with your critters. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  07:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Sherrye. I have no idea about the cow but hope you get it under control soon. What kind of soap are you making? I have got to make some more too. I want to make plain casteel. But it takes so long to cure. It would be ready for Christmas though.

All is well here. It's supposed to start in raining for several days. I guess I will need to put Zarak in a stall again so her cast doesn't get wet. I'll take her sometime this week to get it off. I have an appointment Wed. in the opposite direction so it will have to be another day. Wed. it will have been 5 weeks since she broke her leg. I have been letting Zarah and Penelope in when I bring Sandy and Abby in to milk. I have 3 stanchions so I have been putting Zarah on the extra one. Now she jumps right up and starts eating. She's very tall now.

Y'all have a great Sunday and happy Labor day to all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile
hi kriis, i am making a bar with a lot of shea in it. my DL. loves it. she is allergic to almond so i need to make her some without almond oil. it has all the good oils in it. i made a castile bar a while back. it does take longer to cure. i use a pure clean olive oil or pomace oil. then it cures faster.i sure hope it all goes well for zarah. i could use some rain here. we are going to get thunder storms today. they say no moisture in it though. we have so many fires i have no idea how many. today there is a lot of smoke. its been a few years since we had forset fires. well it will put some hard working for to work. i think one was arson related. we are still in the ninetys. well going to try to A.I. again this week. sure hope it works. we have some new semen for them. well i hope you are all having fine days. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile
It's a mess out there! Water every where. I had to do chores and milking in the rain this morning and looks like the same for this evening. The goats are all inside. Even the chickens. The dogs don't want to go out. We do need this rain badly but goodness, that's alot of water! And it's cool too. Which is nice.

I hope all your soap turns out great, Sherrye. And the AI works too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  1:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Michele when you AI do you do shots to make cattle come into heat? A guy we know does. We thought about AI but thinking maybe getting a bull in for a month or so for our girls, beef. Cattle are very new for me, hubby grew up with milkers and beef.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  4:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness gracious, we are flooding here! I had to take the boy goats to the back to the other stall in the goat barn. They were soaking wet. And the younger chicks coop is under about 4" of water. They are on top of the cage. There are some spots not under water and they can get up on roosts. So I fed them real good. And put down some old hay for the sheep to lay on in their little space between the 2 coops. The rest of the chickens were in the goat barn. We have a creek going back to the goat barn. It's not been there in a few years. We have had rain ALL day and it has not stopped. There are places all around where roads are closed and homes are flooding. It's bad. I was soaked when I came in awhile ago. There's no sense wearing a rain coat or boots.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  5:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris be careful!!! Imagine your weather is not pleasant right now with the effects of that storm Lee!!!!

Take care everyone down south!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  10:13:13 PM  Show Profile
oh kris stay safe and warm. sending hugs sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  04:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Kris hope the rains have quit for you.
Rae, I do not give my cows shots for coming in heat. There are alot of reasons for doing that, but I don't care to give any more shots then needed. I AI my jersey cow. I watch closely for signs of heat. I also usually have another bovine around to help out with that. For my beef I have a bull. I am not set up to AI the beef. I don't have a head gate, and you would need something secure to hold them for breeding. You can rent a bull, but I would be careful as to what shots he has had, and where he has been. You just don't want him bringing anything into your herd. I buy a bull every 3 to 4 years. I have been lucky enough to usually come out pretty good when I ship him. I get almost all my money back, and have had breeding for that many years. AI around here starts at 25 dollars. You could buy a weaned bull calf this fall, and he should be big enough to bred for you this spring. Then you could sell him. I get purebred, usually registered bulls from our neighbor. They have all the calving ease information, and they have all shots, etc. They are also usually born Feb, or March. Sounds like your husband has plenty of experience.
No ideas for your scab issues Sherrye. Maybe just keeping bag balm on her after each milking. As far as mastitis, and not being able to get her over it, well.........she might need to go down the road. 39 here this morning! take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:24:49 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning girls, glad to hear from you michele. i am going to run tests on penny when the vet gets back. he is on vacation. she will go down the road if i cant clear her up. i do think the scab on her teat is my challenge. she is very easy to manage and move. i like her. so if she can get well i will keep her. i sent her tail hairs in for dna testing also. if she ends up being sick i will sell as a nurse cow. i have not finished paying for her yet. not till i know i have a sound cow. the girl is fine with it too. so we see today if the A.I. took on freckles and maudie cripple cow. i used mini jersey on freckles. i used reg A-2 on maudie. now we are doing 2 more. i have one mature cow we will run across road to bull. he is a white park and is A-2. my yearlings are too small for him. i have to A.I. them. i am using drugs to bring some of the silent heat girls in. i have 9 to get bred. the goal is half dexter half jersey. do any of you do your own palpitating? i want to learn that next. i have a squeeze chute for the girls. you are right it does make it easier to work the girls. so all 3 of my new yearlings have now come in the milk room on their own. they are so cute. it is fun to see them learn. they were too nervous to eat. curiosity got them in. they see the milkers go in and out.. so they sniffed everything and left. little do they know it is their future in the spring. they are A-2 girls. i love love love training calves. so zarah gets her cast off tomorrow. yipee i so hope it is ok. i bet what ever it is she will adjust. i hope the rains have slowed kris. when it comes that fast after being dry so long....oh my.... flooding for sure. chores are real chores then. you girls sure get up and going early. i just cannot do it. happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile
we were 31 degrees the other night. lots of folks lost their garden already. now we are 90 and 100 and hot. we are surrounded by wildfires. like kristi (dakota) said smoke and fire retardant in the air and planes running water.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  2:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, out power just came back on. It went off around midnight. It's still raining but not hard. Lots of roads closed all over and trees down everywhere. The wind was really bad last night. 16 hours without power. I know that's nothing compared to so many up North that might not still have power from the hurricane. But I was so worried about all that meat in the freezers ruining. So it's back up again. And I missed you all so much! It's amazing how connected I feel to all of you.

I have got to get that barn roof re done. There are so many wet spots inside. It just needs a whole new roof but will probably just get some rolled roofing stuff and put over the tin roof. Zarah sure hates being cooped up. But I have her momma in there with her so she's happy for now. I let Penelope and Sandy out so they can have some hay. And the boys are still inside.

As I was coming home on the driveway, I looked over and saw my sheep. They are so pretty. And I thought I have really got sheep now. They are such cool creatures. I can't wait til they have lambs now.

It's cold! Not even 70 degrees. I like it but am NOT ready for real cold yet. 31 is way too cold, Sherrye. Do y'all burn wood for heat in winter?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  06:45:10 AM  Show Profile
well i am happy to hear you did not wash away. we sure could use some rain. forest fires a;; over oregon. stay safe kris. we do burn wood heat. it bothers mt illness. electric and propae are our back up heat. this year its hard to find wood. every one is cutting. all the grass is gone from pasture. i am back feeding hay. at 200.00 a ton its hard. i am hoping to sell a few dexters. when belle freshens we will dry off maudie and cripple cow. the good cow we bought we may sell. if she does not get over mastitus she will be sold for a nurse cow. all you girls must be soooo busy getting ready for winter. there is always so much to do before the snow flies. so far it looks like maybe just maybe maudie cripple cow and freckles are bred. they should be coming in yesterday and today. so far no sign. fingers crossed. now we do 2 more. we have 6 left to do. heres hoping for a fertile spring filled with babies. KRIS, sheep are ine i have not done yet.. do you pet on them like goats or are they pasture sheep? i would think a baby lamb must be awesome to hold. are you going to learn to spin or knit too? how much land do you have there? hope its a good day for you all. happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  09:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Well, looks like it will be Sunday before Zarah gets her cast off. My friend has to go egt the cast cutter from her vet's office. Then she will be going to a goat show. I will be gone all day Friday and Sat. So 4 more days in the stall for her. She also said I can go ahead and get one of her Lamancha bucks that day and pay her when I can. She needs to sell all but ne of her bucks fast before winter comes. So I will have my Nubian buck and a Lamancha buck for my little farm.

And why are male animals so bad? They jump all over me. The girls don't. Just those bad boys. And Zeke, the wether, has scours AGAIN! It seems like he has had scours since he's been back here. The buck doesn't. Maybe he needs a CDT shot and wormed. It could be because of all the wetness all over too. But since I will have the 2 bucks, I may get rid of him. I think I need to take Mazie up the road to get bred and I will wean Chuck then. I will put all the boys together. They are so much trouble. Geeze.

Sherrye, I have 3 acres here. And a neighbor lets me use his pasture next door for the cows. It's probably close to 3 acres. It has a small barn with a lean-too that the cows can go under in bad weather. But they don't most of the time. There's too many holes inside the old barn for them to get out of so they don't go inside. I hope all the AI works.

I love my sheep. The ewes are a Katahdin-Dorper cross so they shed their wool. I won't be shearing them. But Earl is a Suffolk-Hampshire-Finn breed. He was pure black when I got him at a day old. Only his legs and face are black now. His body is almost white and his wool will have to be sheared. He's so sweet right now too. I am still giving him about half a bottle of milk just because. He's 4 months old and a big fat boy. I need to get him away from the ewes for a few months then put him back with them so maybe he'll be old enough to breed them then. He's with the ewes right now. And I have seen him trying. I don't want winter lambs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Kristin so glad you are okay. We lost our power too. We had rain and wind and a big tree fell down on the lines. We were not out nearly as long as you. But glad we finally got rain we were so darn dry. Now its been drizzling for days and its super dark outside. I would really like to see the sun again but I think it won't show until early next week. Huricain Lee remnants is why our weather is this way. Its actually muddy at my barn. How much rain did you get Kristin?

Sherry I had a doe with a sore like that on her udder and it was staph. I would try using some mild iodine spray and spray it twice a day or furazone ointment twice a day. It will take awhile to heal but keep at it twice a day and you should see improvement in a few days.

I had a racoon attack one of my chickens last night. I was closing all the coops and was distracted by snarling down in the woods and forgot to close the little coup up, I have 3 chicken houses.There are usually 4 young hens that roost in there at night. Three of them are okay but the other one was tore up pretty bad and her wing is broken but she was alive. I felt horrible because they depend on me for their safetly. In all the years (19) I have not forgotten to close them up. And the one time I did they attacked. I am not going to put her down. I sprayed her wounds and fed her electrolytes. I put her in a 4 by 8 inch coop by herself with food and water and a tomato cause she likes them so much and am going to see how she does. When hubby gets home I am going to have him hold her so I can asses her more. By myself I am afraid she will fight me while I work with her and her wing will get worse. She has some bad wounds but I did get them all treated. I feel so darn terrible I have cried half the morning. Sorry to dump bad news but needed to vent.I really love my chickens so much.

Well I'm off to check on the young chicken to see how she is. You all take care with this crazy weather.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  11:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I kind of felt like you a few months ago. Sloshing through mud all over the place. Being jumped on by goats with muddy feet. Yuck! I think we got about 5-6" all total around here. Could have been more. But we have raging rivers where there were only little streams and ponds and lakes where it was only pastures and yards. Lots and lots of water. It is cloudy and dreary today. Good sleepy weather. I want to curl up with a good book and a blanket. I hope your chickens gets better and over the trauma of being attacked. It's not your fault at all. Things happen. She'll be ok with your care and love. Let us know how she is.

I put Earl the ram lamb in the back yard with the boys. He was not happy about leaving his girl friends. But he'll adjust I hope.

I also gave Zeke a CDT shot and some Ivermec and Kaopectate. I won't give the boys any more grain again. Just hay from now on. I think it just messes with their systems too much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile
linda i had it tested. it is strep mastitus. comes from laying in her poop with an open sore. her teat cracked before she calved. i am going to send her blood and milk in when the vet is back. not a happy farmgirl about it. so sorry about your girl. you guys with rain. i would be reading a book for sure. no not me i am going out in 100 degree hot and feed pigs. LOL so yack at ya later. i better not have staph too. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile
i wish i could give you a great big hug girl. sometimes things happen like kris said. let us know how she is.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  07:05:48 AM  Show Profile
i just had to come on and share my good news. i sent the tail hairs in for testing for A-2 gene. both my new cows are A-2 A-2. so if i breed to A-2 bulls i am guaranteed A-2 calves. both girls are in milk right now. penelope has the mastitus still. the vet is finding a stronger antibiotic for her. it is just by chance that i bought 2 cows a month ago and both are A-2. so hope you are all doing good today. i know we are all running ahead of winter. we are working to get things ready for winter here for sure. Linda hows your chicken doing? Kris did Zarah get her cast off yet. hope you are drying out now. sending a howdy and a hug to you all. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  12:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, forgive my ignorance but what is A-2?

Feel the need to vent. I LOVE my goats. My gosh I've only had them, what two years and I can't imagine life without them now. BUT bucks in rut are easily the most disgusting, stinky, nasty creatures on God's green earth! ICKY! My beautiful Black Jack is right now the foulest thing in the universe.

Okay I'm done now. Is everyone safe and sane with all this wild weather that's been happening?

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  2:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, that is so funny! I'm sorry, I know you are disgusted, but it's still kind of funny. And you can laugh at me because I am going to get a Lamancha buck tomorrow. So I will have 2 bucks and a wether. I do not like male goats at all. They are the sickliest things I have ever had to deal with. Zeke, the wether, has had scours for a few weeks off and on. I am only giving the bots hays from now on. And I wormed him and gave him a CDT shot and Kaopectate too. They are just disgusting creatures. And ugly to boot.

Sherrye, I am happy for you! I am taking Zarah tomorrow to my friend's to get the cast off. And I will bring back one of her bucks. Not looking forward to the drive home at all.

So what would y'all do? My little goat barn is VERY old. It has a metal roof that's fairly flat. And it's got lots of little leaks so when it rains, there are several places that get quite wet. So I am trying to think of the cheapest way to fix it without having to replace the whole roof, which I cannot afford. So should I just get tar and patch over the holes or maybe some rolled roofing? Any suggestions would be great. I am just really poor and have to pinch pennies.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page