Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  04:40:59 AM  Show Profile
morning ladies, Sherrye I hear you about husband help! Having help is great, and I wish for it too, but sometimes it is much easier to do it ourselves! :)
Going to call the vet this am, as Connie, my cow, is sick. Not sure what is wrong, but off feed, watery pooh, something is amiss. Waiting for 8, as it is Sunday.
Also going to try banding horns on my wether. I talked to a friend, who has done it to goats. So it is either that or ship both of my sheep.
take care all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  07:51:25 AM  Show Profile
oh my i am sorry connie is sick. how long ago did she calve. ketosis can show its ugly face at 2 months fresh. is she standing? please keep us posted on how she is. if she were mine i would try molasses water. it will be interesting to hear what the vet says. so this a.m. hippo is still looking for her baby. i think the ground shakes when she runs the fence. its sad we have to pull the calves from moms. papa put another dish washer in my kitchen yesterday. now i have 2 that sanitize. one for milk stuff and jars. the other for our personal dishes. i bought it off craigs a while back. i traded eggs and meat and 50.00 dollars i used it last night. sanitizes everything. now maybe i can clear the food dishes. i have been washing 26 jars a day at least. so now it can be done. well its going yo be a hot one here. i need to get the milking done happy days to you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  4:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Michele, any word onConnie yet? I hope it's nothing too serious. But a vet early on Sunday morning, it must be. Let us know how she is.

Well, the 3 loaner goats are turning out to be a little headache. I can't let Zarah and Penelope out because they try to kill them. I mean leterally try to kill them. And poor Zarah has been knocked down a few times before I can get out there to get them away. So I am calling my friend to come get them. Plus Emmy Lou, one og the brown ones, was trying to head butt a little girl that came to visit and wanted to see the goats. That was her first time seeing goats and getting that close and that was just a little too close for the poor thing. She had her head on Allie's belly and was pushing her. So I think these 3 goaties are going to have to leave. I hate it but this just isn't working.

I hope y'all are having a great Sunday. We had 16 people here for dinner. It was so nice. Had guitar pickin' in the living room. I love it. I want to do this every Sunday now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile
well thats too bad kris, goats can sure be wild. our girls are done crying for babies. the whole valley is quiet this morning. i think we will butcher hippo. i may have said this already. kind of sad. she was one of our first cows. she tried to ram papa. that is not ok. we have a lot of pre orders for beef and pork. i think mama hog is open. if so saudage anyone. no free loaders here. she is very sweet BUT no babies. it is now hoy like the desert it is here. today i am going to see a pond. i now have 3 ponds to work on. we are taking from ours and transplanting and grooming the ponds for folks. any way to make a buck. still waiting on unemployment. still ok here. selling milk eggs etc. now i am making more soap for future sales. i wouls love to sit and listen to guitar picking. i so wish i was closer sending out some love to you all. happy days sherry

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  07:08:12 AM  Show Profile
Morning everyone. Sounds like everyone is busy with all sorts of stuff. I have been canning tomatoes. I have one more batch to do today.The weather has been wonderful the past few days. Its been in the upper 50's at night and the lower to mid 80's during the day. Its been heavenly. The cooler weather has sent my bucks into full stinky rut. I noticed some of the girls are noticing too.
We have not had any significant rain for quite some time........its keep missing us. My yard is mostly brown and the pastures are mostly brown too except for the ragweed. Even that is wilting the past few days. Sure is different from earlier in the year then it would not quit raining.....so so crazy.

Michele hope your cow responds to the meds well. You will know in a few days once the meds get it under control. Hope her eye turns out well.

Kris sounds like those goats are not working out for you. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the dinner and guitar picking did though. Don't ya just love Sundays like that. Sounds like such a great time.

Sherrye you guys be careful with hippo. I was hurt quite bad many years ago because of a pushy cow that ended up tossing me around like a rag doll. I ended up with shoulder surgery and he ended up hamburger in the freezer. Be careful.

Well I have to get on those tomatoes. You all have a great day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  07:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Connie is on the mend. All the years on a dairy farm, and never saw this happen......the vet told me to put her inside, with hay, and she would be fine. Sometimes a cow can eat too much wet grass, after a rain, and basically get a good ole stomach ache, and the squirts. She went totally off grain, real mopey, and milk production fell to half a gallon, and squirting like water. Sure enough she is back to eating grain, and production is coming up. Also back to acting like her ole self. Linda hope your hand is doing better. Sherry that is alot of jars to be washing. Whew the dishwashers will help. Kris sounds like your Sunday was really great!
Got the curds in the press, so almost done with cheese today! Apples will soon be ripe here. Starting to get elderberries too. Got 2 and half quarts canned of juice so far. My sister and I bought a steam juicer from Lehmans. Boy that is well worth what it cost. Works fantastic on all berries, apples, and even steaming pumpkins and squash.
take care all and be careful!
Thanks for asking about Connie too
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  3:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Y'all. It's SO HOT today. I think this is the hottest it's been all summer. It's even hot in the house. And we are drying up here too. Everything's brown and crunchy. I was tired of mowing anyway. I am getting okra and making pickled okra. I need to pick some more after the sun goes down.

Michele, how are you making the elderberry juice? I am seeing them all over here but they are mostly down in ditches along fence rows and I ain't going after those! Way too snakey. Which, by the way, I saw one the other night. I had walked out the kitchen door to go to the milkroom and there went one right in front of me. I started screaming and ran back to the house. I saw it going right toward the chickens in their yard. Then the grands ran out with my hubby and one of them said she saw it out in the grass. Darn chcikens! It was probably a foot long but that's just too long for me. Now I bet it's in the milkroom, watching me. But anyway, can you tell me how you are canning elderberry juice?

My friend is coming tomorrow to get the goats. I really hate it but they just aren't a good fit here. And he has another place for them. I just love Corabelle. She is so sweet. But they will be ok where they are going.

I hope everyone has a greta night. And stay cool!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  9:59:11 PM  Show Profile
oh michele, i would be so worried if one of my girls had the squirts and was off feed. i am REALLY NEEDING HELP NOW. our new girl penelope has strep mastitus. help. she came with it. it is contagious. we treated her 6 days ago with 4 todays. she was treated again yesterday. we double shot the worst one. now we wait 6 days and send in her milk again for culture. it comes from being dirty during birthing and or after. it has nothing to do with clean or not equiptment. it is environmental. so it is a battle. i just think it is getting better and a quarter will get hard again. if this does not work i am going to shoot her with antibiotics. it is sensitive to a lot of them. any other ideas girls. she gets vit. e with selenium now. we scheduled hippo for the butcher for next wed. she is sooo big. you are right about getting hurt.hippo has no respect for people. i will miss her. but she is hard to move or control. she would tear a building apart to get out if she wanted too. she has served us well. i will miss her. i like her 2 yr. old baby better than her though. so jerky she is. my papa is so scared of snakes. he would have died on the spot kris. gads they are soooo scary. you stay safe. i would hate to be milking and wondering if a snake was looking at me. sorry about the goats. its sure quiet here too. now it looks like mama hog will go to butcher too. ALSO THE UNEMPLOYMENT THING GOT FIXED.97 days we had with no income except milk eggs meat and side jobs we do sometimes like feeding horses. oh thats the other thing. i am bringing tatoo the egyptian arab horse home. yipee happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  05:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Kris I have a steam canner that has a hose and you drain off the hot juice as you steam the berries. We used to just cut off any long steams, and put in a pot with some water. Don't remember how much water, but maybe half a pot. Then put the lid on and cook it down, till the berries have most of the color out of them. Then can up in jars.
Sherrye have you talked to the vet about mastitis treatments? They do have stonger meds then what we can buy over the counter. Though sometimes there is nothing that will work. Don't milk the other cows with the same milker. Wash out between or sanitize. Good luck
Connie is back up in production, and doing fine. Thickening up also.
Got to go to work now.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  07:14:13 AM  Show Profile
yes i have a steamer too.. i think they are called swedish steamers. i love it. i use a totally different can and system for penelope now. so i dont spread the infection. yes i have spoke to the vet. he wants to try this first. it was sub clinical. i just am concerned since its contagious. i gotta go too and work. happy to hear connie is better. sherrrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  9:43:39 PM  Show Profile
What a thunder and lightning show we are getting! I just wish the pasture would have gotten a little more rain!

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  07:02:44 AM  Show Profile
boy it sure did rip and rain last night kristi, i really like it. did you stay dry. i ran and started chores around 3. i was about done and in milk shed when she started coming down. yes we needed more.well a new adventure here. tatoo the egyptian arab is coming to live here friday. i am truly excited. i love and have ridden tatoo before. i know nothing about horses and am ready to learn. any good books out there? i bet storeys guide books may have one. he is a gentle sweet soul/ he is about 25 yrs. old. he has been in our family for over 20 of those yrs. only he was with my sister. she does not ride any more. I WILL RIDE HIM. well we are hoping the 2 cows will be ready to A.I. today. we will see. sure is quiet without the baby goats here. hope you have a fine day today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  07:54:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad y'all got some rain. Nothing here. For several weeks. I noticed lots of leaves on the ground in the front yard this morning. Things are really brown and dry. Doesn't make for a pretty fall. Mornings are SO nice and cool. Then by noon it's almost 100. Not fun at all. Animals are drinking a lot of water lately. I still have the 3 does here. I wonder if my friend has forgotten about them already. I would like to keep Corabelle. I'll see if he'll leave her. She's probably going to kid in a month or so then I will have more milk.

Sherrye, the horse sounds like a good one. I like old horses. I always said if I ever got another horse, it would have to be over 20. I would still like to have a working pony here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  05:18:14 AM  Show Profile
I think we have been getting every ones rain! Every couple of days it rains here again. Gosh we are plenty wet. Hard to get haying done. At least we have cooled down. In the seventies.
Sherrye horses are just like any other animal. I always said to the boys, always keep your weight in the stirrups! You never know what may frighten your ride! IN my younger days (haha) I always rode bareback. Have fun with your horse.
Better finish getting ready for work here. Hopefully will be baling tomorrow again.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  06:46:40 AM  Show Profile
thanks michele, today he comes. it will be this eve. i have chores to do at a house in tumalo. then i am cleaning the barn for tatoo. we have the 3 mama goats in there. i will divide the area. he has never seen a goat. so he needs to feel safe when he gets here. we have been so hot here. the thunder storm we had sparked a lot of fires. we saw the fire planes go over. now there is smoke. i sure wish one of you girls that can food lived closer.. yesterday a whole perfect box of romas came in the bins. we have 150 pounds of spuds sitting here. we go today again for 3 bins. now i am getting their flower section. so far about 6 good mums in the bin. kristi you could call me and come get free food. i am surely shocked over and over with this experience. we have about 75 pounds of apples. with 12 cows and 3 goats a 1000 pound hog 100 hens and 4 butcher hogs THEY DO NOT EAT IT ALL. YES we have bananas oh my LOL sooo what to do with the tomatoes.i do not feed the milkers much though. they get the poops. then their udder gets gross. i can see why penelope got strep mastitus. she lays and poops on her own self. disgusting girl. well kinda sick today. been fighting the porphyria. have a huge happy day to look forward to. so slow steady and forward is me today. kris did those goats leave? how are your critters doing? michele hows connie doing? i am still fighting the strep mastitus. i may have to give her a shot. i hate to. the milk withdrawal is 30 days. thats a big loss in milk production for school time. belle calves sept. 30th. we will send penelopes milk to be cultured monday. does any one have the address of a place to send milk in? our vet is in alaska fishing. hope you all have a fine farmgirl day. we are gonna be hot again too. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  6:46:03 PM  Show Profile
I still have the goats here. I think he has forgotten about them. Zarah has 2 more weeks to go in the cast then she is out of the stall and I need them to be gone. I will have to call and see what's going on.

I got home today and saw someone was mowing the hay fields all around us. So after I fed everyone, I put all the goats in stalls and got the dogs and the mower and went out and mowed under and near the electric fence. The top left corner is where we have a problem with the middle wires. And of course it was down. I noticed the goats have been on the other side of the fence the past few days. So got it all fixed back up. I will need to go to town in the morning and get about 6 more of the posts because some are broken. And then I got the loppers and had to cut stuff out of the fence. There's still lots to do out there. It took a good 2 hours til dark and I am still not done.

It is getting darker earlier now already. It's getting to feel like fall in the mornings now. But then it hits nearly 100. Tomorrow and the rest of next week in the high 90's with NO chance of rain at all. This is bad, folks.

Sherrye, please don't put your horse in with the goats. He could easily kill them with one kick. A donkey will do the same thing. I hope you have fun with your horse. But be careful too. And if you have a food processer, put those Romas in it then through a sieve. You can make really good tomato juice that way. Then just hot water bath the jars for about 20 minutes or so. I wish I could find food scraps like you do. I might just get another pig then.

Michele, send some of that rain this way! We need it. I saw that Montanna is having lots of fires. How's Connie doing?

Y'all have a great weekend!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  04:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Connie is doing just fine. Pretty much......she lost her switch. The steer she is with must of stepped on her tail, and lets see her milk didn't go through the strainer all the way this morning. My husband has milked a couple times recently for me, so hopefully it does not develop into mastitis. Ah yes, farm time fun!
I would love to spread the rain around. Have you tried doing a rain dance? :)
Hopefully will finish baling for the year, today. If all goes well. Haybine broke down on me on
Tuesday. Had my neighbor/cousin finish cutting. The weather was going to be good, and wanted to get the work done.
Got 6 quarts of elderberry juice canned up. Will be picking another canner full this morning before I can start raking.
so take and be careful, and heres hoping you get some rain.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  07:21:54 AM  Show Profile
oh michele i just am HATING this whole mastitus thing. i hope you dont have it. i am sick of it. i just want to go milk and come in. LOL tatoo is here. i have the does in a seperate area. he is sooooo beautiful. such big days here lately i am pooped. i too am ready for a cool down. its been very hot. now from the storms the sky is red from fires. the fire planes pas over our house when they land. last night the sunset was fire engine red. none are huge. so hoping it wil get quiet again. the planes are loud. wondering if you all got your hay in. i am waiting on 3d cutting from a neighbor. sure hope it stays dry for the hay that is down. we have had those wild thunder storm rains. they come drop and leave. not good on hay. the price is awful. 200. a ton ouch. well i need at least 10 ton. i have my order in now. we have 2 ton in the barn so far. well gotta go and be a farmgirl. happy days to you all sherrrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye if your gelding is insulin resistant you might want to look into some bluegrass hay. Our local grass/alfalfa is wonderful for dairy animals, but an IR horse cannot take so much sugar/starch.The added benefit of bluegrass is that it is less expensive. But even if it cost MORE, it would still be the right thing to feed an IR/Cushings horse. You will want to watch what pasture you put him on as well. Irrigated, lush pasture is not good for him. If you have a dry lot that just happens to have a little dry bunchgrass, that will probably be okay. Lush pasture is not a good thing for horses with those conditions though. People look at lush, irrigated pasture and rich green hay and think what heaven it is for horses, but often feeding the IR horse that way is literally loving them to death. They have to be fed a lot differently than dairy animals. (if you already know this and I am being offensive, I apologize. I have just done rescue work for a long time and dealt with this before)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:32:16 AM  Show Profile
The 3 goats are still here. One day I am ok with it and the next I just want them gone. I had to move the boys up front with the sheep this morning so I could let Penelope and Zarah out. I will take Zarah next Wed. to get the cast off her leg so I figured as dry as it is I'd go ahead and let them out of the stall. Plus poor little Penelpoe is coughing. She sounds kind of wheezy in her lungs. I don't know if it's because it's so dry and I have been giving them lots of really dry hay or she has pneumonia. So I figured she needs some nice sunshine. I also gave her a shot of Pro Pen and a shot of wormer. I had read somewhere about lung worms. So I am just going at it with guns blazing. We have not had rain in a month so I am not worried about Zarah getting her cast wet. But I do have to keep the 3 other goats away from the littles still. They still act like they want to kill them.

I have so many projects that need to be done but am broke. I want to make a buck and ram yard. And a dry young goat yard. And a few chickens run-coops. I just need some money and a few extra hands to help.

What's going on in your neck of the woods these days? Is anyone getting ready for cold weather yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  6:38:01 PM  Show Profile
finishing up the garden harvest here. Working on apples, and will be doing grapes, and tomatoes. Got the haying all done, so that is good. Got manure to get spread from the piles. Hoping to move my blueberries, and raspberries to my small garden. since the boys are all gone, I don't need to keep two gardens anymore. Then it will be onto cutting firewood.
Yes Kris, extra hands and money would be really great here too! Hope your little ones get better!
Connie is doing great now, still giveing her a couple flakes of hay after each milking. She did come back in heat, and I had her bred again. My steer did notice this time, so that was helpful. And I had to treat her for mastitis. Her milk was good to use tonight, and it strained perfectly.
Hope everyone gets all their chores done!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  7:09:59 PM  Show Profile
The goats are gone! I feel so muh better now. I have to learn to say no from now on. I was tempted to see if I could keep Corabelle but really, her udder was really small for such a huge goat. So I wonder what it will look like after she kids. Anyway, all is quiet here again. Penelope and Zarah were both running around in the goat yard ealrier. It sounded like a herd of horses out there. They were so happy to be out and free again. Yes, Zarah is running and jumping with her leg in a cast. I sure hope it is healing. I will take her next Wed. to get it off. Please say a little prayer for her.

Michele, sounds like you are busy up there. How is the weather there? It's really nice in the shade but seems like everything I always need to do is right out on the blazing hot sun. Why is that? Every fenceis for sure.

That stupid little wether, Zeke, has gotten his head stuck in the wooded picket fence twice already in 2 days. Once in the back and now tonight up front. There about 2 feet of the picket fence beside the gate and he found it. So had to get Kansas to hold the flash light so I could make a little cut in the wood. Then put some plastic netting up. I'm sure he will find some other way to get stuck tomorrow. Darn goats.

I hope Connie got pregnant. Did you AI her or use a bull? I have got to get Mazie Moo cow up the road for her date with the bull again before it gets too late. I want to see if I can just leave her up there. They have a stream. And tons of pastures. And other cows and calves.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  8:23:42 PM  Show Profile
I am happy from the bottom of my heart to hear that Zarah is doing so well. :-)

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  04:58:12 AM  Show Profile
morning ladies,
in the seventies here. Raining most of the night. Not hard but almost 3/4 of an inch.
Good to hear Zarah is moving around.
I AI my jersey, to jersey. I have a bull for my beef girls.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  06:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Morning everyone. Good to here Zara is jumping with the cast on. Sounds like she is healing well. Hope its all good when she gets the cast off.
Sherry glad you are getting Tatto. Sounds like a super good horse. Hope you can have some peaceful rides on him.
Glad Connie the cow is clearing up. I hate mastitis....its really hard to deal with sometimes and get rid of it.

My bucks are in full rut. I still have Pluto the spotted buck here. I can't believe I didn't get one call on all those adds I ran. He is a really a good looking spotted buck. The new bucks I bought from Goddard farm are in rut also. They are such little stinkers for their age. One of my does Luna went into season today so I locked the bucks all up in secure pastures today. I don't want any Feb. babies. She is hollaring so loud she is driving me crazy. She started about 6 this morning.

I am pretty much done with the garden. Just waiting on the sweet potatoes they should be ready by the first of October. I sure hope they grew some but its way to dry to try to dig some up and check.

I spent the whole entire day Saturday pressure washing the barn out. I can't believe in one year the webs and fly poop that had accumulated. It took over 8 hours to clean and pull all the raised stalls floors up and pressure wash everything down. It looks like a new barn again. I put all the fans, lights, monitors and feeders back in.That is one thing out of the way before winter. So many more to go.

After that I hit the shower. I had manure and fly poop on every part of my body. I think thats the dirtiest I have ever looked and felt. It was scary watching the dirty water run in the shower. I felt so good after the shower we went out to eat. It was our 31 anniversary and it was really nice to have a sit down dinner where someone else did the cooking and dishes.
The next day Hubby and my oldest son cut a few big oak trees that died this past year down and into logs. So we will start getting the wood down for the winter. I am trying to finish painting the inside of my house. I don't know if I will ever get it done. I am doing the ceilings and walls.

We have had beautiful weather the past 5 or 6 days. But its going to start getting really hot. We are also bone crispy dry. I started feeding more hay because the pasture is so burnt up and dry. I worry about fires because we have so many cedars around us and they go up like gasoline when they catch on fire.

Well I am off to scrape and paint some more today. Laundry and sweeping to do also. At least the canning is done for the year. That really set me back a month or so not to mention my right hand.It feels like it got a little better and its in a holding pattern. I am using it some everyday probably too much so by the end of the evening its always swollen again. By morning though its goes back down. I have a follow up with the surgeon to see what he has to say. He will probably yell at me again for over doing it. What can I say I am stubborn and have alot of work do everyday and the Merry Maids are not at my house taking care of things.........lol.

Everyone have a super day. Sorry to go on so much.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Aug 31 2011 06:42:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page