Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  8:14:30 PM  Show Profile
If you go to Craig's list Chattanooga and go to Wed. page, you can see a picture of him. I think the ad says Nubian billy (Chatt.). He's so cute. I love Nubians and especially my Sandy. She gives hugs and kisses. I know she will just love this new guy. I think I will name him either Tom Dooley or Arlo Guthrie. Maybe Bob Dillan, although he looks more like an Arlo ot Tom. The way he was acting earlier he may end up being Tom Dooley. I like that name but not what he did. Since I named the 2 look alike does Emmy Lou harris and Joni Mitchell I wanted to go with Bob or Arlo. So maybe the Lamancha buck can be Bob. Anyway, we'll see what he likes better.

And why is it that the bucks are so stinkin' cute and pretty? That sure does happen alot. Can you post pictures? I would love to see your goats and Linda's. Mine are on here somewhere.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:01:12 PM  Show Profile
hi kimberly, you have my favorite colors. i like the sandy colored with white trim. i am already missing my boys. they are happy though. i am going to send my lamancha buck to my friend julies also. she wants to breed her does with him. he is sandy colored and white body. i too enjoy chores. my favorite is evening after they have eaten. they are all cuddly then. wow KRIS you have been a busy farmgirl. i love getting new stock. they are nervous at first. do you breed back in fall again? any of you gals in cold areas do they cycle again in late fall? i have not seen action in my 4 does i have here. their babies are 4 months or more. i was going back over the posts and i saw where kris ask how much time beyond chores do we spend with our animals? i have to say never enough for me. i do spend a lot of time feeding them from my hand produce. we move around 600 pounds or more a week here. so i feed bananas and kiwi and all sorts of goodies to my girls.it has made taming the pasture calves so much easier. we have food fests. watermelon comes in in 100s of pounds. in the stores people buy the already cut watermelon. my goats and cows have all learned how to wack the pieces against something to break it into pieces. they use the water trough edge. very animated fun. so we have 2 goats to halter and 4 calves to halter and train to lead. this is my favorite time with the animals. the one on one. i rub all my girls eyes for them. i have some cows that are wilder. if i could spend 10 hours a day with them i think i would like that. today when passing through the pastures for milking. i had 4 black 4 tan 4 white cows and calves chasing the car. the milkers bags were just a swinging side to side. cripple cow maudie toddie is doing so good. she is so happy being with cows on flat ground. she has put on some weight too. so penelopes udder is better. we sent milk samples. so will see next week. the pigs are loving all her milk. i miss her yellow cream. well i have dominated the post. i just have not been on much. so wanting to catch up. so happy to hear all your animals are doing good kris. i am sending you some stuff anyway. i will send you comfrey root. then you can grow it. if you girls want a start just email me. i have some i need to dig out. so happy days to you all. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:04:47 PM  Show Profile
yes lets see some more pictures. i too would love to see linda and kimberlys goats. my favorite part is pics. i someday will have a camera that works. then i could share some pics. kris lets see your new buck and the sheep. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  07:43:46 AM  Show Profile
I'll gladly share pictures just as soon as I figure out how! I think I saw something that said how to attach pictures so I'll go looking for that.

I know you are never supposed to have favorites but Fancy Pants is my favorite goat. She is such a sweety. Always comes to be loved on. Holly is a spazz plain and simple. She's a nice goat and has a way better udder than Fancy but sometimes I wonder if her brain cells are all functioning. Her daughter that was born this spring is worse! Not sure I'll keep her for that reason alone. But maybe I just haven't spent enough time with her and she'll come out of it. :) Pearl is Fancy's daughter from this year and I adore her. One she's gorgeous, has just a beautiful build. Two, she's always coming up to me for lovings. She is now a bell wearer like her dam. Only the best goats get bells. Black Jack is a gorgeous buck and gentle too. We had a little go around about head butting but he learned his lesson and now I don't have to worry about him. I'm breeding him to Fancy Pants again in hopes that they'll give me a few more beautiful girls. But I'm not wanting a dairy and I don't want to do a business so I don't really need a lot of registered milking stock so I'm going back and forth on selling him. One minute I decide I will sell him and just have my boer/kiko buck so that things are simple and don't get out of hand, but then I think that I might as well keep him because he's such a good buck and I'll need a buck to breed the daughters of Thomas...... I'm horrible about making up my mind on stuff like this. :S
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly, if you look in the box where you post you will see a little yellow square with an arrow in the top left hand corner. Click on that and follow the directions. It's SO easy to do. It takes a few minutes to load so just wait.

I always breed in late Oct. or early Nov. I like early spring babies here. I do not want winter babies at all.

Stella has been waking me up at 6:45 every morning. So this morning I let her out and went back to bed. I woke up at 9:15. I feel like crap now. So late. I got up and did all the animal stuff and it took an hour to water and feed and I watered plants while I had it on. I love that cold well water. I am constantly getting my feet wet. It feels so good. ANd I didn't even milk this morning. I know Penelope Jane is nursing on Sandy. And Zarah is still nursing Abby. So there wasn't enough to worry about. I did milk Emmy Lou for the cats though. She will stand still and let me do the one side but when I go to try the other side she starts kicking. Silly goat. That's the side that Joni nurses on so that's hers only and I cannot have that.

Tom Dooley is better this morning. I think I will let him out this evening with the sheep. I just don't want him to run off and I won't be able to pet him. I was going to trim his hooves but now cannot find my clippers. I need new ones anyway.

Stella is under my desk right now sleeping. She is such a great little dog. ANd so smart. I really like her. She goes with me to Mrs. T's on Fridays. I put her in the kennel and take her out a few times during the day. SO she went with me last night to look at the goats. I pulled up in the driveway and saw at least a thousand ducks. I have never seen so many in one place ever. And they all stayed in a certain area. A gilr pulled up behind me and asked me if I could move over, that she had to get by. She lived past them and had to go through all those ducks. The man went and got a 5 gallon bucket of feed and fed them all. It was amazing to see all those ducks together. There were big ones all the way to fluffy little yellpw babies. And he had turkeys and chickens and guineas. I am going back to get the 2 little doelings and want to se if I can buy 5 of the guineas. I miss having them.

I hope you all have a great weekend. I am off to town this afternoon to get some leaves from my friend for my garden! And I have some shopping to do too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  5:00:11 PM  Show Profile

Don't know if that worked but if it did..... you're looking at a picture of my buck Black Jack and my doe Fancy Pants

This is Holly

My youngins. Black Pearl is the largest black/tan/white doeling. The black and white spotted and the other black/tan/white are Holly's twins. The sandy colored one is the kiko/boer buckling.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  7:41:08 PM  Show Profile
aaaaaawwwwww too cute. I love your pics. My hubby and I are building a new shed for my goats. We are moving them up closer to the house. We weren't really ready when I spotted these 2 nubians on craigslist, so we did a makeshift spot for them in the cow corral. But we are getting really close to having them a place of their very own. It is going to be very nice and a lot bigger. I have the 2 nubians, tan colored, I am new at this, so I am learning as I go. I am having a blast. Also my new chicken coop is almost done, I haven't had chickens for about 5 years, so that is exciting too. I love being a farmgirl.

Linda

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  8:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda,

I love my goats. I'm hooked for sure. I don't know why the picture of Black Jack and Fancy Pants didn't work. I'll try again another time.

Learning as you go is a good thing. I am too. I just find folks that know more than I do (not hard) and then ask for their wisdom. I also check a lot of things on the internet, have a couple of favorite sites for information. Like just recently my kids were coughing and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. They looked healthy, nice coat, everybody was eating fine, absolutely no signs of illness. So I started researching and think I was dealing with lung worms. I dewormed them and they stopped coughing. Now I'll need to do it a couple more times to make sure I get all the up and coming baby parasites and hopefully it will be fine.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  07:11:35 AM  Show Profile
What pretty goats. My new buck looks like the first goat but not quite as spotty. And I have noticed Penelope coughing sometimes. I wonder if that's what's wrong with her. She is also looking really good and healthy but coughs every once in awhile.

I put Tom Dooley in the back yard so he can see the girls. I hope he won't get out. I am going to get my wether, Zeke, later today so he will have some company. They are the same age. Then I will be looking for a Lamancha buck soon. My friend is selling her buck that she got from me last year. He is Abby's son. I could probably use him because I might not breed her this year. She's 9 1/2 right now. What do y'all think? The guy I got Tom Dooley from had a 13 year old doe kid with twin doelings this spring. He said it was an accidental pregnancy but she looked good. I just don't know what to do. Maybe one more time? The if my friend comes to get his does, I may not even need a Lamancha buck this year. So much to think about.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  8:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals...I've got a problem. My dairy cow Maizy calved at the end of May. She was giving me 4 gallons a day up until the middle of July. Since then her supply has been dwindling down. She is now only giving me 1 gallon a day...just enough for the calf. I put in another waterer. So they have 2 waterers and water in the field. I upped her hay intake because the grass isn't as good since its dry. I give her 2-3 small scoops of sweet feed after milking. She is not sick. She looks great. Oh and I had her bred right at the end of July. What could it be? She didn't do this last year and this is now my second go around with milking (her 2nd calf with me). Any opinions welcomed!

Thanks,

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  10:02:03 PM  Show Profile
hi leanne, good to hear from you, since your grass is not that good maybe you still need to up her groceries. i am amzed at how much they eat. i know my production is down. i can just figure they need more food. some of the girls on kfc feed pounds of sweet feed. i feed grass and alfalfa and produce to mine. could she be holding up for the calf? or is she truly empty when your done. does she have loose minerals? she needs loose minerals and loose salt. they dont seem to get enough from a block. we are feeding brewers yeast sea weed vit. e with selenium and flax oil also. just a few ideas for you. hope you get it worked ut. do you machine milk i forgot? happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  10:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Leanne,

Not a cow expert but my ND told me once that alfalfa was one of his favorite herbs for lactation. Maybe she needs more alfalfa? I know it worked for me when I was nursing!!! My goats get dairy grade alfalfa to eat when they are lactating as well as their grain while being milked. And of course there's always all the water that they can possibly drink. Is it possible that she went down in production because of being bred? Like I said, not a cow expert, just curious. Oh and I love Brown Swiss. Fell in love with the breed on a trip to Switzerland. If I ever had a dairy cow it would be a brown swiss. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies!

The other day I decided to put Brisket on Maizy exclusively for several days to see if it helps with her production. I did get 1/2 gallon more this morning than I had been getting. I milk her out completely. Her bag looks like a deflated balloon lol! Well the hay I had been giving her was grass hay because everyone had ran out of Alfalfa. I'm down to my last bale so I am gonna get some Alfalfa since everyone had baled their hay weeks ago. I also seperated Maizy's calf from last year who is now 14 months old just in case she was stealing some! Thanks for the ideas of vitamins Sherry! I did buy some extra minerals today and I do handmilk. I also gave her 4 scoops of sweet feed this am after I milked her. Hopefully all will get better....its kinda nice though having the calf on her a couple of days. It gave me a much needed break from everything I have been doing. Thanks again ladies!

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  7:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Geeze, these boys sure are babies! They are so loud and whiney. That's why I don't like to keep bucks. I went and got Zake, one of the 3 buck kids that I took up the road. I wanted a bubby for Tom Dooley. They are about the same age and size. But Zeke is acting like a buck. And he has nothing back there. I don't know about this. They seem to be getting along ok. But it sure is getting crowded around here. I have to 2 boys in the back yard. The 5 does in the back pasture. The 2 little doelings in a stall in the little barn for right now til Zarah's leg gets better. This afternoon I was getting ready to feed and milk and there was little Penelpoe Jane with the big does and they were butting her all over the place. I got her and put her back in with Zarah and saw how she got out. A little tiny hole I had cut out between the 2 stalls when I had the chickens in there. 6" wide and about 10" tall. That little gilr squeezed right through. So I got that fixed. If I get those 2 little Nubian doelings, I will put them and Penelope and Zarah all together somewhere. And the big does somewhere. And the boys somewhere. And then there's the sheep. They are up front. I can fence off sections up there because it's about an acre. I jsut need fence. And posts. And money. So I have lots to figure out if I am going to have all these animals. It's just alot to worry about. And I don't like to worry.

What do y'all do with dry goats and goats in milk and little goats and bucks? Are they all separated or together?

Leanne, my Nubian doe, Sandy, is slowing down some. I am feeding her the same amount. I think it's the time of year and the heat. ANd I have new goats. And bucks. So she may be going into heat. It could be any number of reasons why they slow down. Plus she is letting the new doeling nurse some too. I keep them apart during the day now so when I milk in the evening I actually get some milk! Abby is full by then but when she is with Zarah, there is not much at all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile
I know now why the 3 does were taken to the sale barn. Well, the youngest is good. She is missing one tooth in the front.Other than that looks good to me. But her mother's udder is only half worning. The side that I thought the doeling was nursing on is just dead. It's cold as ice where the other side that I am getting milk from is warm and has milk. So they probably got rid of her becasue of that. If she came from a dairy I can see why. I wonder how she would do with twins. Then Corabelle has bad allergies. She's like my doe Faith that I sold last year. Bad nasty green nose and she smells bad too. But they are all super friendly and sweet. I am just worried about Emmylou now having more than 1 kid with only half an udder. I'd probably have to bottle feed one of them to help out.

How's it going with all you goat and cow people. Awfully quiet on here. I guess your all busy. I have a list of things that need to be done before it gets cold. I have got to get the little barn roof leak proofed soon. That's one thing. Hope all is well with y'all.

Oh, I went up the road to talk cows this afternoon. They still have the Jersey heifer. He did say she has never been handled, always has been in the field just wild. They are going to talk about how much to ask for her. His dad was there and said he wanted them to keep her and milk her. I said they could have all the milk they wanted if I had her. So I will see soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we were busy all day. My new goat pasture is almost ready. My hubby and I (oh, and our 3 year old grandson, Anthony) got all the fence up today. Now we just have to get the gate up, and the roof on the shed we built. A funny happened while fencing, I was walking from one post to the next, when I flat out slipped in cow poop and fell flat, I looked up and Anthony said "Nana, you gotta watch that cow poop". My hubby and I got to laughing, it was worth the poop slip. Anyway I think my "girls are going to love their new home. Getting that time to start thinking about getting a buck in here to accompany the girls. I am so excited, this is my "first time". LOL.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  7:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Well Maizy's production might be coming up-Sherry it looks like it was the amount of feed that I was giving her. I gave her the minerals an extra scoop of sweet feed and even more extra hay then I put the calf on her for the night. Seperated them at 1130 am and went out to fill up their water at 130 and her bag was already filling. Then checked on her at 500 and it was much more full! I so cannot wait until I milk tonight to see how much she actually will have....having her bag actually look like its full of milk is a total improvement thank you:)

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:07:12 AM  Show Profile
hi leanne, so glad food was the answer. its an easy fix. i would love to see a pic of her. heres hoping things are good for all you girls. we have our milk culture back for penelope. she has strep mastitus. so we treated all 4 quarters last night. it comes from poop and dirty things. we believe she came to us with it. so 2 treatments with the todays is supposed to control it. she had it possibly at calving. being really clean right now matters. it can spread to the other cows. i was disappointed to hear this. one more thing to overcome. so now i am going to test the other 2 girls in milk. in case they have it noe too. well the baby jasmine needed the vet yesterday. she cut the inside of her mouth. we have no idea how. so she had a antibiotic shot. then we had the A.I. guy glen here. we started 2 cows cycling for A.I. they have a blue cord hanging out the back. he comes back in 7 days, then we give another shot. then watch for mounting. its exciting to get this going. belle still shows no signs of calving. i think the middle of next month. i need to get my cmpk stuff in order. i have enough for one time. i asl john to make me an i.v. pole for pasture. it has been a very busy month here. we are still waiting on unemployment. broke is the new word here. its been almost 90 days of no income. wow thank goodness for milk and egg money.LOL we won the first hearing. now the overpayment board has it. now we wait again. so scary for us. so everyone has food and a place to sleep today. so i am trying not to worry. i feel it will have a good out come. just hanging on is hard. you are my encouragement and helps me keep going. one of my friends just donated a ton of hay. what a huge help. i am trying to store for winter now. i bet i need 15 ton for this winter. so one ton at a time. i sure do like to spotted goats. i think they are so cute. well i guess i better get ready for milking. i am milking late today. i want the treatment in penny to be in 12 hours. then we wait 3 days and do it again. sending howdys to you all and hope you have a happy farmgirl day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile
well i just reread your post on cow poop. LOL i was trying to get chickens in last night.i slipped in chicken poop. yuk. well i think some of mine are trying to molt. i sure hope not. today we are moving cows across road to get bred. then moving the calf curly and goats to a grass pasture. taking stress off our pasture. a friend donated a ton of hay. what a fine thing it is. we have 2 and 1/2 ton so far. i need 10 to start winter. then another 5 at least so we are taking the money issues slowly. KRIS, i am hoping you are doing ok? we do keep our buck separate from the girls. one of the farms i help has their goats apart. some are just too pushy for the little ones. so we have several pens here for goats. i am turning on the light in hen house today i am using a timer this year. well as kris said,,,, you all must be busy. missing all you farmgirls. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile
I am going to get 20 bales of hay today from a friend who is haying a field. My daughter is coming to help. It's just $2.50 a bale. I wish I had the room to get more and the money but it's tight right now and I really don't need hay right now. Except for Zarah who has to be kept in a stall for 3 more weeks. And of course it has to be 200 degrees out when we get hay. My friend is getting 300 bales. I guess I might stay and help her. Maybe.

Sherrye, my wether, Zeke, is the biggest baby. He sounds like he's dying half the time. Poor Tom Dooley is quiet and he's the Nubian. I can hardly stand to go outside and hear him. His momma, Abby, is on the other side of the fence. I guess that's why he sound so awful.

I am supposed to be getting Chuck the bull castrated today. We'll see. I talked to the dairy guy up the road who has the Jersey heifer. He said sometimes they's wait til their bull calves were 500-600 pounds to castrate them. And they would just cut. So I guess I'm still ok for now. I hope they will come do it. If not and I get that heifer, I can always use him to breed her with. Then take him to butcher after.

I hope ya'all have a good day. It's HOT today. And so dry now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile
My girls love their new pasture,(I think), they are running and jumping, just acting silly. One problem, the opening in the woven wire fence we used is a little big, just big enough for Miss Ceely to get her head through, and get stuck, she has horns. So today I taped pvc pipe on her horns. Now she can't get her hear through the fence. She is not liking the extended horns much, she should get used to it. She does look a little funny, I am a little embarrassed for her. But it is safer for her. Phewww, 1 more job done.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  2:17:49 PM  Show Profile
I have had a few goats with horns and they were always getting their heads stuck. No matter if I left them there all day, as soon as I unstuck their head, they's be right back stuck again in minutes. So I have taken sticks and duct tape and used it. They look rediculous but it sure does work. I haven't had to do that in a few years because all mine are hornless now. But I found one of the duct tape wrapped sticks by the chicken coop a few weeks ago. Brought back memories. I hope this helps your girl. I don't know how many times I had to cut the fence too, to get their heads out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Dang it, yesterday when we were moving the goats out of the bottom coral to their new home, we noticed one of our calves has pink eye. Shoot, we have always been so cautious and observent, but hubby hadn't really checked them out like he normally does, I hope the calf hasn't lost his vision. Hubby ran to the vet and got the needed medication, hopefully we get it stopped.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I am the first to post today. And it's 8:15. Y'all must be really busy. I just got home from being with Mrs. T all day then had to go to the feed store, get gas, pick up hubby, then went to get 26 bales of hay. Had lots of help getting the hay and I actually got to drive the truck. I have never done that before. But we had some very good looking helpers. All shirtless and young and very muscular. Good grief, when someone like that comes walking up with a bale of hay.... Anyway, it was fun! Then me and hubby had to unload it by ourselves. But I just backed the truck up to the little house front porch and unloaded it in just a few minutes. Then off to feed and milk. And water too. I am pooped! Ready to eat a late dinner.

So Linda, I hope y'all get the pink eye under control and you caught it early enough so there is no damage. Let us know how the calf is.

It's all quiet out there right now. I gave all the goats some of the hay to try out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  9:18:09 PM  Show Profile
well darn, pink eye and stuck horns. silly goats. i bet your place is noisy kris. i know we have one cow calf get weaned and so does the neighbor. i bought her little dexter calf. she is 5 months. she is bery sweet. so YES CRAZY DAYS HERE. well tried a new fly spray. pyganic. just figured out yesterday it was making me soooo sick. i had a panic attack in milk room. totally flipped out. almost passed out. gads we were trying to load hippo the cow. she is huge. papa was not hearing me. he kept wanting to herd her in. NOT hippo is one of those cows who do what they want. she lifted the portable panels and ran off. any way we A.Id one heifer with mini jersey. we put cycle hormones in 2 jersey girls. we sent one weaning calf to another pasture. brought a 5 month calf home. we moved 7 goats to pasture down the road. so it is quiet and BORING here right now. LOL way too quiet. we spoke with our A.I. guy glen. he said my jersey semen that is A-2 stuff is too big for my girls. so i am shopping now. we found registered white park semen. we found some new mini jersey semen. so now it is a tough decision. who to breed how. the goal is half jersey half white park or dexter. you get beef meat and jersey cream in milk. they can be on a small acreage and eat less and be strong. i have been at this now 6 yrs. i am almost to my breeding stock. next year we will have 1/2 dexter 1/2 jersey A-2 A-2 milk. i will train halter and lead and milk. i think there will be a market for it. i sure hope so. well hippo is being a total butt cow. so i think i talked papa in to butchering her. she is about 1200 pounds. BIG for a dexter. i need more meat for customers any way. i sure miss my goat babies. i can hear the mama goats calling to their kids. hippo is in the canyon bellowing for her calf. KRIS i would enjoy watching some cute guy loading my hay. LINDA how is your baby doing tonight? seems like their has been some hard times on the posts. lots of animal challenges. sending good thoughts and love to all you girls. i missed being on here. crazy farmgirl days. now they are going to fertilize the fields. now that stuff scares me some. i milk out there. so papa has been milking with me. he swore for years he would not. he used to milk 300 cows. well he is helping now. it is wonderful and awful too. LOL i like milking alone. i like sweet talking my cows. i want the help. he does it his way. so it makes me kinda crazy. i am learning to let go some. he knows more than me right from the get go. but you know how it is girls. i have a way i do things. i need his help but i dont want it too. silly me i will get over it. happy days to you all. sorry it so long sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page