Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Going to be the hottest days, today and tomorrow here. Got my 2 girls (twin nubians) fed and watered, and hubby got cows watered, so now I think it will be indoor projects the rest of the day, that is until I feed and water later. Have my nieces wedding in Minnesota this coming weekend, hopefully it will be cooler up there. Anyway I am making my sister and my dresses for that, Mine is done, so I will get on hers and get that done. Cute little sun dresses, won't take long to do hers now that I have done one already. My sister is crocheting little bags to go with the dresses. too cute. We still need ideas for something to put in our hair, or on our heads. If nothing else we can always do the big flower on the bobby pin. Then this evening, my mother in law is taking me out to eat for my b-day. Yes, today I am 55, and I feel great. Well better get off here or I will get nothing done.
Have a Happy Day!!

Linda

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  10:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Well Happy Birthday!!

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  10:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Happy birthday, Linda!! Sounds like you have a busy week ahead and behind. I bet those dresses will be so pretty. My Dd put little tiny white flowers in her hair when she got married. It looked so pretty. I'm sure you will come up with something cute. Have fun at that wedding and I hope it is cooler there.

I just vacuumed and swept and mopped and cleaned the kitchen and bathsoom and I am sweating. Inside. I had to turn the AC up some awhile ago because it was too cold. Then I get up and actually do something and I sweat. My poor dogs don't want to go outside at all. It's horribly hot out there. I am so glad I got outside stuff done early. I can't go back out til evening again.

Kristi, the well used to be their only source of water here til the city came and hooked them up. So we have an outside faucet on the well house. I use it when I have a little watering to do. And I use it for the out back of the farm for watering the animals. I would love to get hooked back up to the well. But this is really getting old all this work on the lines out here. It has caused alot of agravation these past several months since they have gotten this far. But I am grateful I have that well in case of times like this. And I try to have jugs of water to use too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile
i am so happy to hear your having a special day. welcome to MJF. i just love everyone here. KRIS it is hard to milk without water BUT you already farmgirled up and got it done. sounds like loads of fun to have you as a grandma. i am due to take one of our gs. pout to shop. our hearing for unemployment is tomorrow. heres hoping and praying it goes well. we moved maudie toddie the cripple cow across to pasture a minute ago. now i am milking there. so i need to go milk her still. we thought if she was hungry and full she would move easier. yes she did. so hi to you all and off i go. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  05:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Happy belated birthday Linda!!

Sherry, here's hoping for a good outcome on the hearing!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on Aug 02 2011 05:32:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  06:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Sherrye, I hope you get some really good news. You need it. I will be thinking of you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Birthday wishes. I had a good day. Now I need to get busy on that second dress. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Have a good day to all.
Don't really know what is going on, but to Sherrye, good luck on the hearing. Those things are so stressful.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Have not been on for awhile. Catching up on the thread. Big welcome to Linda. Also a Happy 55th to you.

I have been running almost everyday for one reason or another. Have not had much time for anything else except chores and running somemore. My uncle had a bad heart attack so have been spending time visiting him. Its over 2 hours one way to visit him. He made it through the bypass surgery and is now home doing pretty well as far as we can tell. I am so relieved his surgery is over and he is recovering. I really love my uncle Mike.

We are getting a pretty good storm as I type. We have not had rain for about a week. It was getting a little dry but not to bad. I am still just milking one doe a day. My right had is still messed up. I went to the hand surgon Monday after having a MRI and finally know whats going on. The tendons in my hand were stretched out really bad and are loose and keep moving around. The sheath over my knuckle is torn as well as the tissue in the webbing between the fingers on either side. He said it should get better on its own but it will take another 4 to 6 months to heal. If its not better by then they will do surgery to try to fix the nerves and tendons. So I am off the hook hopefully for surgery. He told me to try not to use my hand.....I use it lightly and thats about it. I hope to never do this again. Its made my summer a bummer it many ways.

Sounds like everyone is doing well and super busy. I am ready for fall.Cool temps and fires in the woodstove. Its been a long hot summer and its really worn me down this year. We have had 22 days of over 90 degree temps plus humidity. I think we broke records as of yesterday. The rain is suppose to make it cooler for the next day so am looking so forward to that. I am not doing any running today and am going to take it a little easier and catch up on a few things around here.I spent some extra time with the goats this morning just petting them and spending some quality time with them. Its raining and cooler right now and I have to say its kinda nice.

Well you all take super care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  09:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda from Ohio, I see you have Nubians. I just got my very first does (2 nubians ). The gal I bought them from said they could be pregnant, butI am beginning to think they aren't. I was really hoping they were, I want to milk. I guess I will have to start looking for a buck. I has been sooooo hot here, but the cows and goats are doing fine. Anyway I may have ?'s on the goats down the road, if you have time.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  09:43:00 AM  Show Profile
It's supposed to be 100 here today. It was yesterday too. It's not as humid so it doesn't feel so bad. I just came in from shucking 2 bushels of corn under the shade tree and wasn't too awful sweaty. But sure feels better inside! And it's drying up out there. I have not mowed the yard since last week!!!! I might tomorrow evening. Maybe.

Linda, I sure hope you hand heals on it's own too. Seems like if you used it more it might get back to normal. But that's just me. You have been busy.

Linda (Nana), if you get a buck and there is no interest, it could mean one of two things. The does are already prebnant or they are not in heat at the time. It's best to keep a buck with them a few months just to make sure. And what I do is put the buck back in with them about 3 weeks later just to see. Sometimes just being near a buck will get them in heat. Always works with mine. Since I don't keep a buck here it's hard to tell til I put one in with the does.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin thats alot of corn! I hope to find some to put up. I love roasted corn in the ears.
I have been using my bad hand and the doctor thinks thats the problem. I am not letting it have time to heal. The tendons are moving all over the place when I use it and thats why its probably staying swollen.I have been doing therapy at home everyday. Its just gonna take time I guesss.

I snapped 2 bushes of beans yesterday and today. Nope there not my beans I had to look high and low but found someone to sell me some. I am on my last batch of beans in the canner. My hand is screaming at me today. I broke down and took some advil. My friend Lisa was out on the road today and found me a half bushel of South Carolina peaches and picked them up for me. I got her 10 lbs of blueberries a few days ago. So when she stops over I will be making some peach preserves. I can't wait to get them. I just love peaches.

Its pretty hot here today but am only working outside for chores and watering. The rest of the day will be spent inside doing inside chores. I am grinding wheat and am going to make some bread today. Everything had gotten so behind since I got the beans and started canning. Hopefully this weekend hubby can help me get a few of the goats hooves trimmed. I am gonna try to do some lefthanded. My girls hooves are really super hard so I hope we can get through them.

Hey Linda from Missouri!!! Yep I have Nubians about 18 of them......way to many but I am very attached to them all. Many of them are 7 years to 13 years old. The rest are much younger. You should be able to get alot of help with your goats on this thread. Lots of knowledgeable ladies on here. Congrats are your first goats. I know I was so excited when I got my first 3. If they aren't pregnant they should start cycling as it gets closer to fall. Thats the normal time for most goats. I know quite a few people who have does cycle at different times of the year and breed year round. My don't see to do that.

Well I need to get back to grinding the wheat. I want bread for dinner for sure. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  07:42:26 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, windering how you all are. papa has done what he said no to for years. i had a small melt down a while back. way too much for me to do with out help each day. well since we are trying to earn house pymt. money we bought the new girls. i had to strongly share with him i am TIRED and need HELP. well he has stepped up to the challenge. he has always said i milked 400 cows everyday when i was a kid. he said he would never milk again. so i am in my third year milking here. he is showing up in milk parlor and helping milk. wow it makes it so much easier for me. i can enjoy it more now since less pressure. one night it was mid night before i got to bed. washing 3 milk cans etc. is so time comsuming. so 2 girls show signs of mastitis. tomorrow we will test their milk by sending it in to get cultured. i think it takes a week to find out. anyone know a free lab? well i am hoping all is well with you girls. kinda concerned about you kris??? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4262 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4262 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  04:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye don't you do a CMT test? A california mastitis test. It is the paddle with 4 cups, squirt a little milk in each and squirt in some of the liquid that comes with the kit. Swirl around, and if it clots up or gets thick, that is the quarter (s) with mastitis. I read too on KFC some use a cup and dawn dish soap, and get the same results. I have not tried that.
Glad to hear you are getting some help. AFter all 3 cows is not 400! I grew up milking 25 cows. There are alot of factors that could be causing mastitis, over milking, under milking, too much vacuum pressure. Hope you get it figured out.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:14:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda from Ohio. Have been out of town for a wedding (minnesota). was nice. I am beginning to think they are not pregnant, so I will get a nubian buck in here. The only thing is, I really don't want to keep a buck here. My friend, Brenda has a buck, but he is not nubian, I really don't want to cross them. I will probably have to buy one. Anyway thanks for your reply, everyone is so nice on here. gotta get busy

Linda

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  07:01:15 AM  Show Profile
yes we use the cmt kit. thats how i knew it was a problem. very little in the filter. so we will use the todays on them. decided for now no milk culture test. money money you all know how it is. sill waiting on unemployment to figure out their error on our claim. so the belt is tight here. papa has helped with milking ever since i had melt down. i am so glad. we were able to pick up another customer for milk and eggs. yipee. so hoping you are all having a fine farm day. sending hugs to kris. she is busy caring for her little baby goat. so hoping zarah is on the mend. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  6:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Sherrye. If you have not sent that comfrey, don't worry about it. She's in a cast right now.

How much time do y'all spend with your animals when you aren't actually feeding them or milking them or doing chores? All my animals are right here so close to my house it's kind of hard not to pay attention to them when I am outside. Sometimes I go out and just sit with the goats. They love that. Especially Sandy. And Maize loves her apples and corn shucks. I am always talking to them. But I wondered if y'all spend more time other than just neccesary time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  9:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am new at the goat thing, but I love to go down and be with them. Now that the weather has cooled a little, it is a little more pleasant. I just have 2 nubians so far, they are around 1 1/2 years old. How much feed would you suggest for them? I have read different things. Also, once a day or twice a day? I warned you, I am new at this. We are in the process of building a new shed for them, up closer to the house, also the area will be bigger. I am waiting for the day I can stay home full time to devote my time to the farm. I want to milk, make cheese, do bottle calves etc, etc, etc. Any advice will be appreciated. See ya later

Linda

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  06:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I just got the 3 new goats last week. I am not sure about their ages, but one is the mother of the youger one and I do believe she is still nursing on one side so I am milking the other. I get about a cup that the cats and dogs all share. Anyway, these 3 just get some 16% all grain in the morning right now. I think the bigger doe might be pregnant or else she's just fat. I will see in a few months. They were all in with a big Boer buck since my friend got them. And I am just giving them maybe 2 cups each. Now the other 2 does, Abby and Sandy, are in full blown milk right now and I am milking twice a day so they are getting about 6 cups of feed each time. The more they eat the more milk they give.

And since Zarah is having to stay in a stall now I will be feeding her and Penelope Jane too. I have to go get some hay for them. They are just 3 months old and I normally would not feed them grain at this age. Lots of people do but I do not. I just have to right now.

I am making chevre right now. Well, last night. I just started the draining this morning. It's really thick and not draining like it usuaaly does so might take longer. I need to make some feta Sat. I am getting lots of milk right now.

My only advice to you would be to start small! I got a 1 day old ram in May that I am still bottle feeding. I was going to butcher him. But them I got 3 Katahdin ewes. So I will keep him as a breeding ram. He still might go in the freezer later. I'll have to see how he does. But I think 3 ewes and a ram are a good start to a flock. Where they are right now I could use 20 more. But I might put my cow and calf over there too later. So just start small and see how you like whatever animal you get. Sometimes they just don't work out and then you have to figure out what to do with them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile
New here so I'll introduce my girls. I've got Nubians. Fancy Pants, Holly, Black Jack (buck), Pearl, Thomas (Kiko/boer buckling named by my five year old train fanatic) and one doeling I haven't named yet. LOVE goats. I'm a newbie only been milking for two years but it's so rewarding. Make my own yoghurt and ice cream, cream cheese etc. Trying to teach myself to make cheese and soap. My plan is to have a small herd of Nubian does so I have all the milk I want or need and breed them to the meat buck.

Glad to find a group of ladies who love the same lifestyle.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  7:00:06 PM  Show Profile
hey kris good to hear from you. welcome to the forum kimberely. i know where prosser is. we love goats and cows. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, I am trying to figure all this goats stuff out. I just got my first 2 nubian does. The gals told me she was pretty sure they were prego, but I am thinking they are not. But anyway what I was wondering was, if I were to breed my nubians to a boer buck would I get a mostly meat goat? Right now I just want to get enough milk for our family, and eventually have meat goats. Can I accomplish this with my 2 nubians and 1 boer buck? I sounded to me this is what you were planning.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile
well another day at the learn as we go farm. penelope has big issues with her udder. we sent her milk off to be cultured yesterday. she has mastitus in one quarter for sure. we then got butter cream chunks in the milk can yesterday. it was a shock. so we are throwing her milk to the pigs. i sure need it for customers. last night when we milked her bag was swollen. i feel sad for her. she has had challenges since she calved. the weet gal that owned her knew she was a lot to handle. i think this girl can only be milked with a machine. i sure hope this works out to be an easy fix. i will know more when i go out today. all the goat girls and kids are doing great. 4 kids weaned now. 3 to go still. all the udders are drying off good. the wethers are out to pasture till butcher time. it will make it easier for us to do too. the boer nubian cross is one i really like. i also have boer lamancha cross. i like both. my girls are reg. one is a boer and a show goat. the other is a fine lamancha girl with a sweet attitude. we do butcher our kids. they do fill out nicely with the cross. this way if i have a girl i can sell her for a dual purpose goat. they can be milked or raise for food. we were able to get the pasture next to us last night. it will be for the goats and the white park calf. her name is jasmin. she is an A-2 heifer calf. i seperated her from mom for a few hours last night. oh my the valley echoed with mom mooing for her baby. i am going to take the calves off the moms this weekend. then jasmin gets halter and lead trained along with cissie the boer kid. KIMBERLY and LINDA sounds like you both are having a great time with your goats. i just love their disposition. the chance of crossing the boer with a milker is a good idea. i do have one doe that had a obvious milk kid. so the kid took after mom not the boer side. so the wether is leggie and thin. so he never has filled out like my other crosses. so sometimes it works and sometimes not. we are always learning new things here. well need to milk so hope you all have a fine day. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Linda,

That's why I'm doing this cross exactly! The Nubian is originally a dual purpose breed. Obviously not as meaty as the boer or the kiko but still a good bone structure and meatier than most dairy breeds. I've been told by several meat goat breeders that the cross between the Nubian and the boer or kiko is perfect for meat goats. You want to breed the Nubian doe to the meat buck because this way the babies get lots of very rich milk and the babies are supposed to have a faster weight gain than just pure meat breeds. This is all theory for me at this point as I'm just starting with it. :) But it makes sense to me and this way I get all the milk I could want plus goat meat out of one breeding. I'm thinking if you got a doeling out of the breeding you could still use her as a milk goat if you wanted to and she'd just be meatier for breeding to a meat buck. Of course you can butcher out pure nubians too. I have a wether that I'm raising for that purpose, I doubt I'll get as much meat but it'll still work. Sounds like Sherry is doing it too with great success!

It's possible that your girls are bred and you just can't tell! My Fancy Pants has done that to me too. I'll think, "She isn't bred" because she isn't getting round and I'll be all mad at my buck wondering what his problem is and then she'll give birth to a single. Here's what I do, and I'm not saying it's the only or right way it's just what works for me. I put my goat in with the buck and leave her there for months. This way my boy doesn't have to be lonely and he'll catch her in heat without me having to do any work. Of course, I'm not doing this as a business, if you want to know the exact due date this isn't going to work for you. If for whatever reason that buck isn't available anymore I'll put her in with another buck and just keep track of dates so I know which buck got the job done.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  7:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all! Welcome, Kimberly. Nice to see new goat people here. I just got a Nubian buck today. He was born April 2nd and he is a big boy. He's supposed to have Doc Holiday bloodlines, whoever that is. I am not into all that so I have no idea. But this bad boy is crazy! They said they bottle fed him so he should be nice and friendly. Maybe it's just all new to him. I am glad I didn't just let him loose. I have him in a chicken coop right now. I was going to keep him with the sheep for now til I am ready to breed Sandy in early Nov. This guy also has 2 Nubian doelings about 3-4 months old I think I might go back and get in a few weeks. Make it worth his while to have a few more does. And mine too. He's black with frosted ears and spots around his middle. I'll try to get a picture. I am looking for a nice Lamancha buck now for the rest of the herd. I just decided it would be to my advantage to have my own bucks here. I didn't want to have bucks here but when the time comes to breed, I am panicking trying to find one to use or having to use my younger bucks and move does around. This way they will not be related at all.

I ususaly leave a buck with the does a month. Then take him away for a few weeks. then put him back in and see if there is any interest. If not, they are pregnant and he's done his job and can move on to the next farm. Now I will not have to worry about other people's bucks and also what they are bringing here to my farm. We will ahve a closed herd finally.

I hope this little guy works out for us and we finally get some long ears here! Sandy is the only doe here with ears.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  8:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,

I love spots. I have two spotted black and white does and one spotted black and white buck. Then my two doelings this year are black with white and tan markings. Of course the spots went to the wether! He's gorgeous, darn it. My kiko/boer is a sandy color with white trim. He's also polled but fortunately all my girls are disbudded so it shouldn't cause any problems. LOVE my goats. It brings me such peace to be with them. Love doing chores. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page