Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  6:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Hello Rose. Welcome! We love pictures too.

I have been misting my goats. Especially poor old Abby. She loves it too. And keeping the water buckets full. That well water is SO cold.

I am thinking about selling Mazie and Chuck. I am going to go talk to the people up the road that have the Jersey heifer. See if they might trade her for Chuck and buy Mazie. I am still wondering what a 12 month old 3/4 Jersey heifer would cost. She should be bred at 14 months then she might be worth more. But I am thinking no more than $500. What do y'all think? And I was looking at out Ga. market bulletin and there are lots of cows and heifers for sale and they are really high now. A 10 month old Angus heifer is $600. So I would think a 3 year old Red Angus would be at least worth $1000. I don't know. Then I might could get a bottle calf too.

I think I could use some fall here too. I just mowed the yard AGAIN. I am mowing so much I am sick of it. My hubby got the red neck riding mower going for awhile and mowed the driveway and the front for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  9:04:37 PM  Show Profile
oh i so want to post but i am so tired. so yes another cow. this makes 4. 3 are in milk. she gave 4 gallons this eve. she is wonderful. glad to see more new farmgirls. its hard to decide isnt it kris? what to do. if you were close i would share with you. happy days and a good sleep tonight. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

BC girl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Rose
Duncan BC
Canada
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  10:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi, great to get Hello's from everyone, thank you!!!.....wow, it really sound like you are all in a heat wave...yikes....out here on the west coast of BC, it is very cool for summer......but alot of the rest of Canada is in a heat wave too.....we are barely reaching 20 c ( thats about 72 F), so the animals are lovin it, and the watering is easy for myself and employees in my nursery. My two young goats are pretty frisky too, on a hot day, they are alot more lazy. ........really enjoying everyones messages.....
......Rose
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:04:27 AM  Show Profile
well howdy farmgirls, i am going out to milk penelope. her bag is bigger than me.LOL it is a little frightening. the milk claw does not hang under her. so we have to figure this out. she looks like monas cow. the black face and sooo pretty. when we picked her up she walked right in the trailer. then when time to milk she walked right in the head catch in milk parlor. funny thing is she had never een there before. she had never been on a machine. we hooked her up and she did not move a foot. after we overcome how low she is we will be fine. she is so easy and willing. i will pull tail hairs from her and maude and send in for dna monday. hoping they are A-2. especially penny. i will try to post pics today. wondering how bubba and puppy are today kris? i will check your thread. i am sorry i have not kept up. been on the road. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:21:13 AM  Show Profile
Bless her heart, with a bag that hangs that low is there a danger she might step on it when she gets up and down? I have one doe whose bag hangs so low I have to milk her into a mixing bowl, as my milk bucket won't fit under her. I worry she will step on it, but so far I don't think she has. Not that I have seen anyway. I don't have a milk machine, so I have to hand milk everybody. I really have to get down there to milk Elci.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Rose, I think I will have to move to Canada during the summer now. That is my kind of weather where you are. I just went out to pick produce and am soaked.

Bubba and Stella are doing great sp far. He has really made me proud of him. Silly dog. All this time I thought he was a dog hater. Ya just never know.

So Sandy is not giving much milk lately. I am wondering if she is letting Penelope nurse. And she is not eating much so that could be another reason. She is so nervous and with the new puppy she is a mess. I have to go get her now to bring her to the milk room. Then she just picks at her food. So there are 3 reasons her milk is down. Her and Penelope hang out together so that's why I think she may be nursing. Abby is pretty full even with Zarah here with her all day.

Sherrye, I am confused as to how many cows you have now. And you have a Penelpoe too? And who is that? And who is Maude? Are they all cows? And are you selling all this milk? That has to be at least 15 gallons a day from all those cows. And that's probably just once a day too. Wow. But you have pigs that probably get some of it.

I am making ketchup and canning more tomatoes. Also got some beets to can. And put a quart of red bell peppers in the freezer. It's too hot to be outside so I am doing kitchen stuff.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  4:13:43 PM  Show Profile
kristi you gotta tell me where you are. we are by the new redmond high school that is not open yet. i need a relief milker for these girls???? want to??? she is an amazing cow. i just love her. she follows me like a dog. i know how it can be with them stepping on it. i think some of the size is still edema from calving. she gave 4 gallons and a quart this am. my other claw works way better. i am headed to do a friends goats eye. both her eyes are goopy shut. so i am putting antibiotic in. we got 9 gallons of milk this am. 3 cows. tonight i only milk penelope. i would love to meet you kris. i will send the tail hairs in monday for A-2 test. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:00:54 PM  Show Profile
I am on NE 33rd St, out by the O'Neil Hwy. I have only milked a cow once, when I was very young, and have never used a milking machine (though I would love to learn. We should meet up though. We live too close not to. I bet we know a lot of the same people.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  06:53:59 AM  Show Profile
kristi i sent you an email. we are almost neighbors. finally today is going to be hot. in the 90s. we have been cool so far. maybe my plants will grow now. hope all is well for everyone. wheres grace?? thinking of you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  07:09:04 AM  Show Profile
oh kris you are right about the milk. we are milking 3 cows now. maudie toddy is (maude) a crippled cow we are trying to help. her back legs are clubbed and crooked. NO ONE TRIMMED HER FEET. soooo she is very crippled from all of it. we will have that fixed next week. she will always be crippled. she was born with crooked legs. she gives 2 1/2 gallons once a day. we are still milking hazel. she is also once a day 2 1/2 gallons. penelope we bought 2 days ago. she freshened 3 weeks ago. what an amazing cow. she is a black face jersey. she is giving almost 5 gallons twice a day. we are selling a lot of milk. hoping to have it pay the house payment. she is as sweet as can be. i just love her. so LOTS of milk here. so i am milking 3 in morning and only penelope at night. i am a little more rested from the trips to get these cows. glad the driving is over. we will be hot today. so going to go milk now while its cool. i sure am sorry about sandy. i bet some one is nursing. when i washed hazel yesterday i could tell a calf had stolen a whole quarters milk. the teat was slippery when i washed it. there was NO milk in it.LOL we have 2 calves in pasture. so they are doing the milk buffet in field. LOL hope you all stay cool today and the milk keeps flowing. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:04:43 AM  Show Profile
Sgerrye, that is alot of milk. That's horrible about that poor cows feet and hooves. I cannot understand how people can not see that an animal needs foot care. I saw someone's blog or facebook picture of some goats and their poor hooves were so long. Can't they see that? I have to trim my goat's feet at least once every 2 months. And I have to help my friend's up the road with all theirs too.

I think the reason Sandy's milk has gone down is where they are. Out back is all weeds. SO I moved goats back up front where there is clover and fescue. I'll see tonight if it makes a difference. It does seem that since they have been out back that it's gone down. And it could be that Penelope is nursing too. I'll see later.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  8:37:00 PM  Show Profile
so hows it going for all you milkers? i am a milking mama now.LOL so we had jake the vet come. he did maudie toddys feet. they stunk bad. all curled up like elf shoes. so jake and papa held those old feet up and chopped away. he was able to scrape the bottoms some too. she has a corn inside between the two hooves on her crooked back leg. he said she could be crooked legged from malnutrition when young. he did not think it was genetic. they cut inches of hoof off. she stood in the stanchion eating calmly.they just know when they are being helped. cost me 75.00 dollars. well worth it. she now has to get used to new feet. so she walks even funnier now. i did she her run sorta. he said she only has pain where the corn rubs. she is getting easier to move around,. she is NOT halter trained. so thats on the list. the other cow penelope. a DREAM cow with an udder that is so big she scares me crazy. LOL honestly her milk vein is bigger than my arm. i keep asking papa is she ok is this normal can a bag be this big. i will have to take a pic and put it on here. she has a show cow udder. happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:20:35 AM  Show Profile
I am enjoying milking outside. The flies are not so bad in the morning. I did not milk last night. I saw Zarah nursing on Abby last night so thought it would be ok. And Sandy is just not producing much at all. She gave a half gallon this morning. I guess I could feed a little hay to them. That might help.

Sherrye, I would love to see pictures of your new cows. I bet Maude feels so much better with her feet trimmed. Why can't people see this? I'm sure she will be so happy now. You are a good cow owner.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  5:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies! It has been a long time since I posted. We did great at our local county fair. We won a Grand champion for our one year old dry doe, she also won two champion ribbons, we got a reserve chapion on our nearly four moth old dry doe,and we got three other champion ribbons, a fourth in milk production and a seventh in our mother daughter pair. Then on the last day of fair we were told that the goats next to ours had sore mouth. Now we have three does with sore mouth. We also came home with a virus that then turned to pnemonia in our youngets doeling Ruth. I have been using a homemade spray on my girls with soremouth. The vet was pleased, said it is drying up well. Ruth is fever free, and no more labored breathing. So she is improving. I love my goats and them getting sick ticked me off. How did they get into the fair with sore mouth???Well much canning to do, good day my friends!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Today was a busy day. I took myself and both kids to the dentist, and then came home and picked/processed my last peas, first broccoli, and made a batch of mozzarella. I am only off today and tomorrow, so I am hoping to get enough housework done tonight that I can ride Dakota tomorrow. Buttercup (a doe who has been out with mystery medical problems) rejoined the milk does tonight. She seems to be feeling better. Production was kinda poor at about a cup and a half, but she has just been out with her kids for several weeks now and I didn't separate her too long. Got the lawns mowed today too, and all the watering done. I'll sure be glad when everyone at work is finished taking vacations and my hours go back to normal.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  08:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Angie, that's great about all the ribbons but how awful they got sick. I have heard about taking animals to fairs and they get sick from other animals there. They really need to have them all vet checked before taking them to fairs. And they need proof. I hope your girls are all ok now.

Wow, Kristi, sounds like you have been a busy farmgirl. But doesn't it feel good to be doing things that actually mean something? I love that. Great satisfaction in knowing where all this food comes from. I hope your doe is well and back to her normal self soon. So sad when they are sick.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  6:28:24 PM  Show Profile
This is my first post on here. I have recently gotten my first 2 goats. The gal I bought them from said there is a good possibility they could be carrying kids. They had been will a billy since Feburary. Anyway they are so cute, nubians. twins themselves. One has horns and the other does not, is this commom? They are Miss Ceely and Netty by the way. They are around 1 1/2 years old. Are there any signs I can look for, they have never had younguns before, so their teats are teeny tiny, and no bag. I guess I am doing ok by them, they look more healthy now then when I got them. But I'll take any advice I can get. I would eventually like to milk, make cheese,soaps etc.
Glad to meet everyone.
Linda

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda! YOu will love goats. I am completely hooked. Been a horseperson all my life, and still am, but I sure love the goats too.

Today I shredded the mozzarella I made yesterday, and got it put in the freezer for winter. I have 2 batches of mozzarella and one batch of blueberry chevre' put up now. I am hoping for about 5 times that before winter hits. Milked Buttercup again, and she had a little more milk tonight. I got to ride Dakota with my neighbor and her horse Beau this evening. It was awesome. The weather was perfect.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:34:14 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, a new gal here. yipee welcome linda. this is a fine place. i agree with kristi goats are wonderful. i posted on CL. for help milking. are very nice goat gal is now helping me. she has used a belly milker before. i am so happy to have help. soon she will be on her own. she is going to milk 2 days a week in morning. i can wear my jammies a little longer.she knows how to do cheese. so she is making some now. we are swimming in milk. some customers just vanished. i think its summer. fresh milk is used less. so we shall see what happens now. the pigs and chickens love it. we loaned the boy pig out to a goat dairy. they are breeding 2 sows. our sow hopefully will have babies soon. we need to build her a hut. we almost have the milk room done in pasture. it will save a ton of our time. we walk them in and out of 12 acres now. this way they walk in and milk and walk out. well need to feed the girls. we found a place for the kids to go. they will be on pasture till end of oct. so all the boys go. happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  4:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda and welcome. I had written out a nice long post but couldn't get it to post. I was so upset. So anyway, about signs as to when they will have the kids. It will be thier fist kids so you will have to watch them. If you know when the buck was put in with them, then count 145-155 days from there. And watch them. Their udders will get big but probably not huge for a first timer. Nubians usually don't like to be alone, so they may want to stay with the others to give birth. I have a Nubian and she will have hers right in front of everyone. Hates to be alone. Til the kids are born. I always keep my does with their kids a few days before I let them out with the others. You'll just have to watch them. ANd let us know when they are born. We love new babies and lots of pictures!

Sandy was limping this morning. I bet Abby whacked her on the back leg. She is so mean. She seems to be ok. But slow.

Kristi, looks like you ahve been busy. I made chevre a few weeks ago. I mixed some with garlic salt. It is so good with wheat crackers. But I don't know if I would like it after it's been frozen. How does it taste?

Sherrye, maybe I should try an ad for help. I would love to find someone to come milk for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  5:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Chevre' actually freezes really well. I mix a little vanilla, lemon juice, powdered sugar and blueberries in it. My kids love it on bagels.

Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  6:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcomes. Sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do. I have thought and dreamt of doing what all of you girls are doing. Do you all hold down jobs outside the homes also? I do and have for the last 35+ years, that doesn't leave time for what I really want to do. I am off right now due to a work injury, so that limits me also. Anyway back to my little girls(nubians).

Thanks Kristin for the info. I read somewhere that they only come in season September -Feburary, is this so? I'll keep watching, if something doesn't develope soon, I will get them back with the billy. I am so impatient, I want to learn to make cheese.

Well, I am going to go read some more posts, I have a lot to catch up on.

Linda

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  06:59:04 AM  Show Profile
linda welcome to MJF. we have lots of fun here and i am always learning. so the girls are doing great. the electric is hooked up in pasture. i am so excited to start milking in pasture for summer. its a long walk to bring them in for milking. they are all doing great. the pigs are swimming in milk. yum. so we made butter and mozzarella.
KRIS, i posted an ad on CL and got a response right off. i think there a folks out there who want to work on farms. i said must be used to livestock. i also mentioned if experianced milking was a plus. well julie milks and does cheese. i am very happy to have her help. she gets loads of milk and i get the help i need. i was helping one of my friends in tumalo the other day. her goat has pink eye and ring worm. i learned flies carry the pink eye. we have had a wet summer. we are hot and in full summer finally. now we start the breeding. hazel and isabelle will be A.I.d and millie and sadie. my a-2 cows will be reg. jersey semen sexed a-2. i am so excited about this. so new adventures here. i think we are going to do shots to control the cycle. a few will go across the road and see jasper. he is our neighbors bull he is a white park/ dexter. he is a-2 a-2. i have some of his calves now, they are great. i found the oil i needed for soap too. so i am going to make cow milk soap tomorrow. well i hope all the critters are happy and healthy. sending a big howdy to you all. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. I had my 2 oldest grans this weekend. We spent Sat. with my younger Dd and her hubby. Went to Cohutta National Forest and went to a river to swim. It was beautiful there. Lots of backwoods country roads. Reminded me od S. Ga dirt roads. There just aren't enough dirt roads here. I miss them. We had a good time together. Sunday we went to church. Then that afternoon, went to the horse rescue to check out the horses and see about volunteering with them. They are so nice there. And so many horses with so many stories. Anyway, great day. Then the kids other side of the family were all there too so they went home with them and I came home all by myself. Which is SO nice!

This morning, first thing, I get cow slobber right in between my eyes! What fun. Especially when there is no water. The water co. has been putting in new lines out here for 2 years now and they are finally past my house. But it seems like every few days they have the water off. ANd this morning I get up and there's no water. I bet there are so very mad paople. They have been doing it in the evening. Anyway, thank the Lord we have well water. SO I got to fill up water buckets and troughs with good ole very cold well water. I may just leave that hose hooked up to the well. We have had lots of rain so I shouldn't have to worry about it going dry.

I went to a dog trainer Friday. This man is amazing. But he charges $75. for just one lesson and he says that's all I would need. But that's alot of money right now so I am going to see if he'd be willing to barter. Worth a try anyway. She needs obediance training so bad first. She is doing great though.

Y'all have a great week!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  10:02:25 AM  Show Profile
How can you milk with no water? That would suck to wake up to--especially with a barn full of ready-to-go dairy animals. Is your well somehow hooked up to the municipal water system?

It is beautiful today. I sure wish I didn't have to work. Grateful to have a job though. :-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page