Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  7:20:50 PM  Show Profile
It's so good to know there are ladies here that have answers. Because I will be having questions, I'm sure. I do hope I don't have any emergencies but just in case, it's good to know I can get help here. I hope all you have told Linda will help her doe get over this, Laurie. Thanks for being here.

I wish I had an answer for you, Channah. I don't know if it's just a bucky thing because I don't keep bucks around here very long. It may be just where he urinates on the back of his front legs and neck. Bucks do some strange things. I hope someone can help you out. Is he alone right now? It may be an anxiety problem, too. I don't know. Maybe he needs a friend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  7:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well he is with all of the other goats now. I keep them all together till I have to seperate him. He does spray him self with you know what but could that cause thining hair?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  8:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say a big thanks to Laura. Good to talk to you on the phone it really helped ease my mind what I have left of it.........lol. I am going to check her again and try to get some sleep. Hope the b-complex helps with the other things I am already doing. Hope the vet has the thiamine so I can start her on that.Its good to have such great support. Thanks a million Laura and may God bless you.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  05:00:36 AM  Show Profile
Channah, you have your buck in with your does right now? Was he in with them after Sadie kidded? If he was she may be bred back already. Bucks will breed does as soon as they kad if they are with them. I was wondering if you had them all together but didn't say anything at the time. Just a thought.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  05:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I had a doe pass a few years ago that had, had a really tough delivery of 3 large boys that the vet had to pull out. She had been having trouble walking before delivery and after she never could really walk again, but always kept eating. I tried nursing her back to health for a little over a month, but when I wasn't seeing any progress I called the vet to come out who tested her reflexes and said she had nerve damage. The vet couldn't tell me what caused the damage and since could only guess that she had a disease that caused her bad deliveries and muscle problems. She was 3 years old and had two deliveries when I put her down. It absolutely broke my heart! I agree with everything Laurie has said. I think it's a great sign she is still up and moving on her own. Keep up the good work my prayers are with you and snackcake! I always remind my self that when it comes to keeping animals there will always be the good and bad times no matter how much we love them. In 10 years of having goats I have had some of the best and worst times and I don't regret any : )

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  06:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris, Yes I have kept them all together when the girls first got breed. oh, boy!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well now I feel like a big fat failer with my goats....... I think I need to go pray. Thank you Kris for the heads up.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for you kind words Sara.

I have been helping Snackcake up so she will eat and drink. She is so weak on her back legs and doesn't want to stand on the front. I feel so bad for her. But her appetite is geat and I am still working with her. I fear she has nerve damage also in the back and stress foundering in the front. This is day 6 and I just keep hoping and praying. When I do get her up she walks like she is on eggshells with her front legs and her back legs are weak and she tends to just shuffle them. But I take her baby out and make her walk a little ways and massage her back and legs. Then she lays down and rest.

I do love my goats so. Depending on her outcome this may be my last year of breeding them. They just may end up big fat pets.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:36:44 AM  Show Profile
i am so sorry linda, very sad. i know what you mean. everyone asks why ginger is not bread yet. just have not found a nice smaller buck for her. she wants a boyfriend bad. you are doing so good helping her. you never know she may heal. on the cow site they have cows down for weeks and weeks and then one day they are up.keep trying with her she may need to heal. sounds like you know what your doing good job just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Channah, now I feel awful. Please don't worry. It's just a possibility. I know you spend alot of time with your goats. I am so sorry. You are not a failure at all. It's just that when you have bucks and does together all the time they are going to interact with each other in ways we might not want them to so soon after kidding. And they seem to have a very high estrogen level right then that is very attractive to a buck. Anyway, I was told that years ago and I just try to keep the boys very far away from the does. They are ok together at least a month away from kidding. Then out he should go!

Does anyone else have opinions about this? I hope I have not worried poor Channah too much. This is just what I have always been told.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 11 2010 07:58:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:07:59 AM  Show Profile
Yes Kris, I agree. I have been told the same thing, I e-mailed my friend with the sick buckling. I hope she joins the forum. She is actually the same friend that bought all my Nubians.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  12:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Its alright Kris. Please don't feel bad. I am the one who failed. I should have put 2 and 2 together. I do feel like a failure because now my goat Sadie is throwing up here and there. What am I doing wrong?!?! I give my goats clean and mold free hay and grain, they always have a mineral block infront of them, always have fresh clean water, they get wormed every 6 or so weeks with an herbal goat wormer, I trim there hooves every month, I always watch them and make sure they don't eat anything they shouldn't, I brush them and keep them clean, they always have a clean pen to sleep or lay in and I put fresh bedding down everyday. I read them stories and talk to them. Why is Sadie throwing up? Why does Joey have patches of thin hair? Why? Why? Why? I feel very lost right now. Thank you for the heads up Kris.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Channa you say your goat is throwing up. Does her sides look bloated? She may have what they call frothy bloat. If this is what she looks like you need to drench her with an ounce of cooking oil to start with and alternate it with baking soda mixed with water.Also make her walk around.
If she is not bloated then I am not sure why she would be throwing up. Anyone else have any ideas???

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda, she is walking around fine by herself and is not bloated at all. Her sides look very normal.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  9:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Ladies please know that I am not mad at you, only at myself. You all have been so good to me and are only trying to help me out. I am sorry I took all my troubles out on you. Please forgive me. I only wants whats best for my goats and just don't understand why these things are happening. Again I am very sorry I am taking it out on you. It was very wrong of me. Have a wonderful night! And thank you again for helping me out.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile
Channa no matter how great we take care of our animals things are going to go wrong. People have the same things happen to them. Little children end up with terminal cancer when they are 6 weeks old and haven't lived long enough to do anything health wise wrong.It just happens. Sometimes no matter how great our efforts are things just go wrong.

This gives us a place to learn and help each other out when they do crop up. We can research and figure out how we can help then when they do go wrong. No one can know everything about animals. I have raised goats for 18 years and still deal with something new every year that I have not dealt with before. Just like Snackcake my doe, I have never had a doe have this problem before. I think we all are to hard on ourselves and need to cut ourselves come slack.

Just keep learning and doing the best you can for them and don't give up!!! I am sure you know more about your goats than you did one year ago.

Big hugs
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 12 2010 08:08:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of Snackcake my doe. Today is day 7 since she had her babies. She was able to get up by herself today without my assistance. She is still weak and draggy on her back legs and walking like eggshells on the front but she actually got up by herself and was yelling for her breakfast!!! I am almost to afraid to hope but it is an improvement even tho small.

She sure does have a beautiful udder when she is up. Milked half a gallon from her this morning while she was up and did therapy on her back.I want to keep the pressure of her udder plus the 1 baby she has can't handle all of that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:24:22 AM  Show Profile
I have a small herd compared to most of you but am trying to grow it! I have 2 grown nubians, 1 doeling just born a month ago, 2 bucks, and one of my does is due at any time! I also milk by hand-it is just so relaxing. I make goat milk soap & cheese. I hope to expand my uses of the milk as I will have more than we can drink! I make goat milk ice cream that is to die for!!!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Linda! I have learned so much about goats in the last year. Thank you again so much!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  6:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello Karla. Welcome to our goat and cow group. I am so happy to see another soaper! I just learned back in Nov. and my house is full of soaps curing. It's very addictive. I will be making more next week. I have 1 Nubian and 3 Lamanchas all due any day now. Every day I go out there and check and every day they're all 4 standing at the gate just like they were the night before. And with no kids. I am so anxious for them to kid so we can have some milk agian. I miss it. Please share your ice cream recipe with us.

Linda, I agree with all you've said. It's the same with me. Just when ya think everything's going good something happens. Like last year with the bottle jaw. Man, that was too scary. I thought it was a bee sting. I have a good friend who is my goat mentor and I called her. SHe said it was probably bottle jaw and hurry up to her house to get several things. So I did and it saved her life. So we all learn as we go on this journey.

Channah, how is Sadie today? Did you get some baking soda for her? I hope she's ok.

I am still thinking Faith will go first. She's showing signs of discharge now. I had Kansas in the milkroom with us last night while I was feeding them all. And right now their back ends are the most important parts of them. I am constantly checking them. I showed her all their rears and was telling her about the process. And we checked their udders, too. She told me in order who was biggest to littlest.

And Abby's udder is twice as big today as it was yesterday. So it may be a close race with those two. I wish they'd have those kids this weekend!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well so far she is doing good Kris. I have no idea what is wrong anymore.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  8:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Channah! You are so precious and you're doing a great job with your goats. You're getting great experience because in the future when you become a mother you'll have the same feelings about your babies.....changed the diaper, put the ointment on, keep the baby dry, and there's still diaper rash! Maybe that's not the best analogy but I guess my point is that you are learning so much and all of it is beneficial to you.

Your buck....the patches may be ringworm. It wouldn't hurt to treat each patch with ringworm ointment (human kind). You can also put tea tree oil on the patches. Tea Tree is an antifungal, antibacterial, anti..... It's a pretty good treatment for many things. If you catch the ringworm early the tea tree will work in a few days. My experience has been that if the tea tree hasn't made any progress any a day or two then it's best to use an antifungal/ringworm medicine. I had a serious case go through all my goats and I got it and I eventually had to buy an expensive ($25) ointment tube to treat all of us.

I had a goat throw up for a few days a couple of years ago. I'll go through my binders/notes and see what I did to treat her. Good news....she's still here!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  8:13:07 PM  Show Profile
I have 5 of my own does ready to kid. I'm "babysitting" 7 does for a friend that moved to Colorado and will be back to pick the goats up at the end of April. 5 of hers are ready to kid, too. OMG! I'm nervous and excited all at once.

Both she and I are leaving the kids on the moms...so no bottle feeding unless there's some triplets. Then the milking begins! I can't wait for fresh milk...yum.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  8:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Thank you Catherine!!! That really, really helps! I will try that and tell you how it goes. Thank you for the tips too!! :) :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  09:38:23 AM  Show Profile
How does one put on a picture. I tried and it didn't work.I know there must be a trick to this. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page