Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  4:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Kris, we have about 3inches. Good news is, so far it hasn't stuck to the roads. There will be a 2 hr school delay for Wed. Ellett won't get here until 9:30. Oh man, I was going to say I could sleep in, but I'll have Addison tomorrow too. Oh well!
I am going to take a picture of Posie this weekend and send it to your e-mail. I do know how to do that!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  8:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Gena, Could I have a picture too?? I love her name!!

Well tomorrow is worming day for me. lol Wish me luck!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  06:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Channah, If you e-mail me directly, I can e-mail you a picture. I don't know how to post on here.
Your babies are so sweet!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  06:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey gena. How's Miss Posie? I bet she's growing fast. And Channah's Miss Ebony Jane, too.

No more new goat kids yet? I figured with all these preganat goats, someone would be having kids. We are still waiting. It's getting closer every day. I am going to predict that Faith will go first, then Abby, then Sandy, then Sadie at the end. It could be close between Sandy and Abby, though. How bout ya'll? Do you ever do that? Have guessing games? Over on Family Cow they have a section on goats and sometimes they have contests (those that can post pictures!) about which of theirs will kid first and so on.

I hope the weather for ya'll is getting better each day. Spring is coming here for sure. I think we had summer yesterday, though. It was a rather warm 73. Very nice.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, have any of you had problems with mastitis. I dont have a milk animal yet but that scares me. I am trying to learn before I actualy get one. I dont know if thats all cows are just ones that use a milking machine. Sorry new about this. Vicki #280
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:18:27 AM  Show Profile
I look forward to hearing about all these goat kids anyday. Sounds like there will quite a few between all of you. It will be fun to see all their names.

Kris, it's all been a guessing game for us this year. We were fairly confident on 3 due dates, but 2 of our cows seem to have a different plan. We expected 2 to freshen later, maybe April, but one of them is sure getting ready for the big day. I think (hope!) we have a calf by this weekend. It's been over 2 months since we've had fresh milk. Store purchased milk is just not the same. I've done much reading on fresh milk and many folks believe in it's health benefits and healing qualities. I'm convinced more than ever. I've felt so sluggish lately. Achy, too - just not myself. I need real milk so I can feel better and get some energy.

Enjoy your day! Ours is sunny and 45 degrees, but rain is expected later today and continue until Saturday. Rain = mud = yuck!

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:22:27 AM  Show Profile
My Lamancha Rose just started her labor late this morning, So if all goes well I will have new lamancha babies by the end of the day!!! I too can not wait for fresh milk it's been almost two years! and I have been feeling the effect!

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, how exciting. Let us know when the new babies arrive.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:42:42 AM  Show Profile
howdy girls, i am fairly new to milking. i do know from having rescued 2 cows with mastitus, prevention is helpful. keeping a family cow website is good. threads on mastitus under tree of knowledge is good. clean dry udder important. i use wipe out wipes. more natural. come in plastic bucket with hole on top to dispense them.then you just buy refills. they are made from cow milks natural ability to sanitize its self.great on teats and my hands. i also use a dry udder dip after stripping. i am milking a mini jersey cross now.just a few thoughts sherrye...also.. shavings are good for stalls and a few in her bed. ... to keep it dry. the thought is that straw and hay are best for beds if kept clean and dry. best for udder...

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:47:15 AM  Show Profile
sarah i meant to add congratulations hope all is going well. there are so many channah and kris and so many of you gals with kids coming teresa. wow what a fun time on the farm. we go shopping tomorrow for goats . if the temp is better SO COLD... you are right ..in like a lion. my cow is shedding like crazy though. so hoping for early spring...keeps us posted when babies arrive...sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Victoria, yes, I have had a goat with mastitis before. She was always so huge and a few years ago her milk started tasting salty and horrible. So I had to do the mastitis treatment. It took awhile to get her back to normal. I sold her last year. I hope no one has to go through that. It's no fun.

Christine, I hope all goes well with your cow. I will be looking forward to hearing some good heifer baby news from you! I know about that store bought junk. I have not had any in probably 10 years now. I refuse to even look at it. I have a friend with Jerseys so I get cow milk from her when my goats are dry. I hope you have milk real soon and get back to feeling normal.

Sarah, how exciting! I hope she has a safe delivery soon. Can't wait to hear your good news soon, too.

Hey Sherrye. I wish you good luck in finding a good goat. I wish you lived closer. I'd sell you one of mine. And I hope your weather gets warmer, too. It's 69 today. Alittle cooler than yesterday. I know my goats like that.

What a fun time on the farms.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  6:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, this has been a long day! It's always hard when a delivery dosn't go smooth, but thank God everything has worked out so far. My 9 year old lamancha rose had one baby boy! She has along recovery ahead though. To get the boy out I had to push his head back in and recover his legs that were stuck under him, after getting one leg out he popped right out. Still very weak but eating well, SO is mom! I was hoping for a girl but I think he will be an amazing breeder. Hope the rest of the seasons deliveries go better.

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  8:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Sarah! I have been watching youtube videos of people helping goats deliver. I can hardly stand it. I don't know how ya do it. I hope I never have to go in and turn one around. But there's a first time for everything. I'm glad Rose is ok and the little buck, too. Have you named him yet? 1 down, how many more to go?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:07:13 AM  Show Profile
oh sarah, let us know how it is going with you and all those soon to be mamas.KRIS where on youtube can i go see. would be good to know.no babies yet kris?i check on all of you many times a day. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Rose and her baby are doing great today. His name is constantine. He is walking around now and visited his mom. She defiantly is sore but doing well, That was my first time having to go so far in to turn a baby, and it wasn't easy since it took two people to hold Rose and you have to fight against her pushing, but it was over quick and if I didn't help I probably would of lost at least the kid maybe even her. Not the best part of kidding, but you get use to it. I have two more left to deliver who are both due next Tuesday if my the first breeding took. One had to be done twice so if it's not the first it's next month.

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile
I finally have a few minutes to get online. I have spent the last five days living at the barn. I had 2 more sets of triplets.....thats three in a row. The first 2 went pretty well. Moms and kids are doing great.

The last one was a nightmare.Triplets again and the total weight for all three was 33 lbs. I knew there was a problem because she just wouldn't get on with it. I stayed up with her all night but she just wouldn't dialate. I finally worked on her very gently and with time was able to go in. It was like feeling a big basketball. No legs or heads. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out what I had. The first one I pulled had passed.....by the looks of it several days before. The next 2 were alive....doe and a buck. the buck just kept crying so took him to the vet did the pain shot and had him tubed. He finally nursed but his belly looked to big half way through the day. He was hemoraging on the inside. Never had anything like this happen before. We had him put to sleep and the vet did a post mortum and said his insides were not formed right. I cried half the day. I have not had to put a little newborn down before in 18 years. The little doe is doing great. She's quite lively and oh so cute.

I am having a problem with the mother. Vets not sure whats wrong. She is dragging her back feet instead of lifting them up. I know she had to be sore from the delivery. She has been treated for keotisis, milk fever, and is on antibiotics because of the hard delivery. She is also on banamine. Her appetite is good, drinks good and vitals are good. But she is also walking like she is on eggshells with her front feet...she is really having a hard time getting around at all. I have to help her lay down and help her get up. I feel so sorry for her. Today is the 5th day since delivery. I switched to her dexamethazone for the swelling and took her off the banamine. I have never had a doe act like this before. She is still not lifting her back feet up and sort of slides them and her front feet she acts like she can't hardly put weight on them. She did this a little before delivery but its really bad now.

Someone mentioned founder but she had no fever and her feet do not feel hot. But I continue the meds and massage therapy and give her treats and hope she will get better. Her name is Snackcake and I just love her to death. I don't care if she ever has another baby I just want her to be okay. well off to check Snackcake and her little doe kid. Take care and hope everyone elses deliveries go great.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 10 2010 12:31:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda, what a nightmare. I haven't had anything like that happen before. One of my friends, just had twin goats. The little boy did good the first day and now (the 3rd day), he won't nurse. She has had to tube him. She is a Vet and she can't figure out what is wrong with him.
If he doesn't make it, she is going to do an autopsy.
I hope everyone else has better results!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Linda!!
Snackcake's sisters send their love! & me too!
I got your message, have been working again. I will try to call you soon. Kiss Snackcake & her baby for me. I hope she feels better soon.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  4:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, just go to youtube.com and type in goats giving birth and you'll see alot of videos.

Sarah, so glad your goats are doing good today. I love that name. So big and strong. I bet he's a cutie, too.

Linda, my goodness. What a hard time you've had. I am so sorry you lost the 2 kids. And I have heard of does doing this after a hard labor but they seem to get over it pretty quickly. I sure hope yours does. How old is she? MAybe it's good she just has one kid for now. I didn't realize you and Lisa were so close. And ya'll have goat family ties. How sweet.

Gena, I hope your friend can get the little buckling in better health soon. That's so sad to lose kids. I am starting to get a little nervous now for my girls. 2 of them are a little older. Almost 7 and 8. Abby looks like she may just have a single. But Faith will have twins. But she could just have another huge single again like she did a few years ago. I kept thinking there were more in there. But the buckling was huge.

I hope all the little kids are well soon. And the mamas, too. Busy time of the year now.

Is everyone going to be milking the does?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Kristin.... Snackcake is only 3 years old. This is her second kidding.
Yes Lisa bought 2 of Snackcakes sisters 3 years ago. Of course they were a set of triplets sisters and all big. Lisa just lives about 30 minutes from me. Its nice to have a friend not so far away. She has been such a blessing and a good friend.
Thanks Lisa for the support!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 10 2010 6:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Gena my prayers are with your friend and her little buckling. The waiting to see if things turn around is so hard to take. It seems like times moves so slowly.
Has she considered floppy kid syndrome? Anyway let me know how things turn out for her.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry ladies that I have not been posting on here much. Nothing much has happened around my goat farm. Sadie is doing really good and I am going to start milking her in the morning. Esther is not due in May as I thought and is due in April ( long story). Joey is doing pretty good. I do have a question about him though. I was looking at his coat really closly and notice under his legs, around his neck, and sholders he has very thin hair. Is this normal? Does he need a vitamin that he is not getting? I am giving them a vitamin paste once a month, and they always have a mineral block in front of them, and I just finished worming them all. Do you ladies have any ideas? I am just a little worried about him and wondering if he is getting everything he needs. Anyway, Ebony is doing great and is growing so fast. I just can't believe it! And she loves to run, jump, and clime on things. She's a silly little girl. lol

And I guess that is about it. Thank you for any help given!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your doe, I'm rather new on this forum and have not been on much as I've been busy at the dairy and home having delivered over 100 kids in the last 3 weeks.

I have encountered symptoms like you have with your doe a few times through the years. She may still be suffering from milk fever and or ketosis,and the hard delivery, Are her teats cold?? Cold teats are a sign of milk fever. There could be multiple causes or combinations
Polio encephalomacia or clostridium(whats called over eating can happen any time there is stress, could also be a component and that can cause the shuffling, tender foot thing too. Clostridiums can cause founder symptoms without the feet feeling hot.

If she were my doe I would treat her with thiamine(prescrition from vet) or fortified b complex(has more thaimine in it than regular b complex (At least 4 times a day and see if there is improvement. and maybewith drenching with a cmpk/ mfo type product or calcium glucante, etc. plus nutridrench or propylene glycol or molasses/brown sugar(for energy), probiotics to keep that rumen functioning. Free choice sodium bicarbonate to keep rumen ph in balance It is a good thing that she is eating!!!! I would do some massage along the spine. How high is her dorsal process/ She could be out of line, pinched something? Sounds like she was suffering something metabolic before kidding. Calcium gluconate/mfo can help them dilate sometimes too!

So far this season I encountered several does at the dairy that were laggy on their labors, I drenched them with 30cc calcium gluconate and 30ccs nutri-drench., and in all cases they perked up, some required another round 2 hours later and I drenched them again when done and whenever I have symptoms of milk fever. One very high producer needs to be treated with drenching and fortified B to keep her steady for few days. This year they were treating for milk fever, without noticable response and after 2 injections(subQ) of fortified B she got steady and moved those hind legs better. Sam situation with her last year.
Winter was long and hard on the does, they seemed a bit short on energy reserves and sacs were a little tough for many and a touch more meconium prior to birthing than I like to see. But all came out great with watchful eyes and busy helpers.

In an emergency situation(when milk fever is suspect and vet assitance is not immediately available, etc.) I know some goat folks raid their human vitamin/ calcium stores, like TUMS,coral calcium, let them drink some cae neg milk if they want.

You said she was treated for milk fever and ketosis?? How? Did a vet give her an intravenous solution? Until they get their system back in whack they may need more calcium/B/energy supplements. They use up the calcium fairly quickly.

It is a great sign she is eating!!!!! Hope you are doing OK, sounded pretty hard with triple problems. The more years we live with animals and the more numbers we work with, the more unusual things we are likely to see. I remind myself sometimes after bizarre/difficult things happen, that I will probably never see that again in my lifetime and if I do I'll be prepared next time...but it still gets hard somtimes, especally as I get older when I've done a stretch of all/nighters. Best wishes and hope the rest of your does do normal!!!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Laurie for your help.
She has sodium bicarb plus freechoice minerals and kelp at all times. Before she kidded I am not sure the walking funny in back was from her huge udder or the symptons starting.She was kicking her legs out to the side around her udder. She had her overeasting and tetnus shot 6 weeks before she kidded. I have been treating her with a calcium paste made for goats for milk fever and also am mixing propolene glycol with vanilla yogart, honey and also caltrate chewables. She gets an apple, cookies and carrots for snacks. She is eating and drinking well. She is also drinking a quart of her own milk everyday that I milk out of her. She seems tender and swollen above her tail. When she is standing she kind of pumps back and for on her back legs. She just acts tender on the front legs.I didn't take her to the vet because I could no physically put her in the truck as she weighs well over 200 lbs and was afraid would hurt her more.When I called the vet he said I was doing what I could and had no real suggestions. Not much help there and he was not available to come out. I can never get a vet to the farm unless I make an appoitment as he only does farm calls on Wed. Its very frustrating.

I will start her on the b complex and see about getting some thiamine from the vet tomorrow cause I am out. If she does have an onset of overeating disease should she be revacinated again? Will this kill her or can I pull her out of it. I didn't know if they could get overeating disease even tho they are up to date on their shots. Would love to talk to you on the phone if possible. The vets around here don't know much about goats and don't really want to deal with them. When they do come out they aren't much help. Thanks so for your help and suggestions Laurie.
email address is raspbrun@bright.net
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 10 2010 6:42:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I e-mailed you my phone numbers. Please call! Laurie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page