Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  11:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Kristin I was dripping wet but not because of the heat. I went outside to check on the girls because the storm was getting worse. I got caught out at the barn because the storm became very violent. The lightning was hammering my farm and we had about 3 inches of rain in 45 minutes. Its still coming down and the driveway is a total washout. The temps are staying around in the upper 60's for now. I wish I could send you some of the rain.

I wonder why her milk still is not good. Did you milk this doe last year and have any trouble with her milk tasting bad? If the one does milk taste fine and she's eating the same I don't understand why the other does taste weird. If this is your first year milking her maybe its just her. What does her milk taste like is it goaty or salty? Did you have her tested for mastitis?

Are you going to order more kefir grains and if so where do you order yours? I am thinking about maybe trying the water kefir. Its sounds really interesting. Well stay cool if you can.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Linda I will send my weather to others too! Been really cool and wet. Today so far no rain but coming for the next 2 days, got a couple inches the other day! Getting very old very fast. Can't even walk into the garden as I sink and sink and then sink just a little more! Hopefully won't drown things before they really get going.
Hope you stay safe!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  1:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, You are all so busy! Congrats on kids! I am glad all is going well for everyone.

I have a question, Those three newer does, they are getting udders. Not really milk, but udders. Does this mean they are pregnant? Could it be they are just getting older? Maybe this is a crazy question!?

Well I have a lot to do. Real Estate is picking up. The farm is busy, the garden is growing! Oh my. where is all the time going!?

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Angie usually when they start forming udders its means they are pregnant that is what my experience has been.Sometimes certain breeds of diary goats can be maiden milkers without ever having kids. Time will tell and you might end up with some cute little surprises.Don't work to hard but glad your work is picking up. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 20 2011 2:10:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  2:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda! That is what I thought. I have gotten the monitors out again, just in case.
Thanks so much!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  07:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Well this morning while at the barn I fell.
I was going out the back of the barn and slipped on an area of mud that had washed off the hill. I tried to catch myself but didn't do a very good job. My hands were full of feed buckets. I cracked the back of my head on a concrete block that I keep water buckets on. Both of my elbows are busted and my middle finger somehow was bent backwards the wrong way and popped. I can't use my right hand very well now because the pain and swelling is startomg to get really bad. It felt like my tendon popped. I layed there a minute in the mud/poopy muck and had stars whirling in front of me.
I am so mad that I didn't catch myself better. I had to come in and change and rinse off before I could finish chores. I have never had muck so thick on me that it went all the way through to my underpants. I can still type but have to do it slow and light.
Sorry to whine but I am home alone and wanted to vent. I don't know if I will be able to milk tomorrow. I am worried about that. I am going to wait to see how I feel tomorrow and if the back of my head keep throbbing and my hand as bad as it is right now I guess I am going to call the doctor.
I am going to have my son when he gets home take some gravel from the driveway and put it back there so it won't be so slick.

We had about 5 inches of rain yesterday. Today we have some sun for now. So the girls are finally out for awhile. Later today more rain.......yuck. Well I guess I will get going so I can ice my hand and head somemore and take some advil. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 21 2011 07:05:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Linda, you poor thing. I'm so sorry. I hope your head and hand are better soon. Try not to go to sleep. You should get checked out. I am so afraid of hurting my hands and fingers because of milking. I have done so many things to them. So I am a little extra careful now. But the falling. There's really nothing that can be done about that. Once you start, there's not much you can do but go on down. But man, does it hurt!

Abby is 9 years old. I wonder if the bad milk could be because of her age. I have had her 6 years and she has always had wondeful milk. Never has had mastitis or any problems at all the whole time she's been here. So I am thinking it's age. Sandy is just 5 I think. I'll have to check. And she's never had a problem either. Always has good milk. But it's been so hot and dry all the grass is dry and hard.

A friend of mine has kefir grains. that's where I got mine. I let them go bad so I am going to see if she has more. You can look up Dom's About Kefir and you can get them there too. He also has the water kefir.

I sure wish we could get more rain again. I hope yous slows down some. Take it easy and rest and don't go to sleep. Wahcking your head as bad as you did it could be a concussion. Let us know how you are ok? I'll be praying for you too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  02:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Linda- oh my, I hope you are ok. Do not be so hard on yourself. We are all capable of such a fall, but be kind, take care and rest!

I had this great coupon for a haircut,color and some pampering. All I had to pay was $20.00! They even had some one come and massage my hands! I loved it! I know all of us use our hands alot! The lady massaging my hands said they were thick and strong. I wonder why!!!

I hope everyone has a great day. I am gonna go garage saleing with some amish friends!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  05:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Linda, Hope you are okay today! Be careful out there in the mud girl!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  05:51:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda, how are you this morning? I bet you are one sore farmgal. I hope all is well with you. Do you have someone else who can milk for you? I have had to milk with just one hand. It can be done but it's so much slower.

We had another storm last night. Man, that wind was horrible. I had to go out there in it and put the lamb in the coop with all the chickens and I got scared. The trees were almost touching the ground. It was raining but not hard. it was just the wind that was so scary. Then the lightening came. I was out front then. My granddaughter is so afraid of storms now since the tornadoes. She just freaks out if the sky has a few clouds. But the rain was good for the garden.

U hope everyone has a great day. Linda, be careful!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  06:31:31 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, i hope your ok today linda. trying to milk with a bad hand is not good. i hope you have help. let us know how it goes. kris hows your neck of the woods? its sad kansas is so scared of the wind. sure can understand though. the gal that was buying marilyn has no money now. so she may stay here with us. she is milking great. she comes in milks and goes out. does not eat a bite while milking. so i am slowly weaning the kids. we are on third day. i let the moms out to run the property.. the babies stay in. then moms go in seperate area for a few hours. so far so good. when i wean them i think i have decided to milk them. that will give me 3 to milk. now i will post an ad on CL and see if i have a market. if so i will order the claw for my machine for them. we cooled off today. i am glad it was 85 yesyerday. well gotta go. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  09:20:58 AM  Show Profile
This morning was slow. My neck and shoulders are very stiff. I can't tilt my head down. My right hand is swollen like a club and is turning yellow and I can't use it. It took me quite awhile to milk this morning with my left hand and I am right handed so my good hand was very tired after that. The 2 does I am milking still have their one kid on each of them. The one doe I milk I only took a quart from her instead of half a gallon. I hope the baby takes the rest. The other does baby got out and sucked her mom dry. That was fine by me.
I don't have help in the morning because everyone gets up at 3:00 in the morning to go to work. I could not rake the barn and hopefully my son or husband can do that tonight. It was pretty darn wet in there again this morning.

We had tons of rain here too yesterday afternoon. Our creek at the bottom of the hill went out of its banks again. The tomatoes in the garden were laying on their side from the wind and heavy rain. I give up on the garden and my hand won't let me fix it. I need 2 hands to hammer. Whats really a bummer is my son and husband will be leaving to go north to Wisconsin this saturday for a week. I picked a lousy time to hurt my hand, head and neck. I have never hurt my hand ever like this before. Yeah I had stitches and cuts but nothing like this. I am gonna give it a few more days and if I don't see any improvement I guess I will go rack up a big medical bill and have it x-rayed. I have a $3000 dollar deductable each year just for myself.

Kristin glad you got some rain. Hope you get somemore without the wind. I know its scary to see the wind bend the trees like that. We have been getting that the past few days.

Thanks everyone for asking caring.Sorry for being such a bummer today.
I am just gonna have to give this a little time and see what happens.Well gonna go for now this has taken me forever to type.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 23 2011 05:57:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  09:43:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear from you today. I worried about you last night and said a prayer for your safety before bed. Hitting your head scared me!
I hope you heal quickly and completely!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Linda, it will take awhile for your hand to heal. Ar eyou soaking it? That will help with the swelling.I wish I were closer. I could milk for you. I know about the doctor bills. I still owe for the colonoscopy. Gotta get tha paid for soon. Ido not like to go to a doctor unless there is nothing I can do myself.

It's raining again! Just rain. Nice and steady. I was going to mow the jungle out there but can't now. As hot as it gets it dries out real fast though. Looks like it might be the weekend before it gets done again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Linda hope you are feeling better. I have been so far behind on reading and writing here. Not fun to fall and I do have that talent. Luckily last time I didn't get hurt other than my pride as I slipped on the mud and poop in the chicken yard you take care of yourself though.

Well guess what, it is raining again! This is just getting too old for this farmgirl

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  05:51:37 AM  Show Profile
I hope all is well with all of you. Linda, I am so glad you are ok. I understand the being sore. But I am glad it was not worse.
It has been raining here a lot this last four days. I want to get in the garden and mow. But not sure the weather will let me.
My darn goats are so wimpy. It was just sprinkling, kinda like a mist. Did not last long or anything, but then there were all the goats staring at the house crying for me to go put them in. NOPE!!
Not gonna happen. They need to be out. A little mist will not kill them.
Well I need to get moving. I need to do some chores.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  05:55:47 AM  Show Profile
The sun is shining here this morning. Am so glad to see it. We have not been seeing much of it lately. We could have pop up showers today but mostly will see the sun.

My husband raked out most of the barn last night for me... that was a huge relief and my son scraped out one of the stalls they all like to hang in together. They watered and then I fed everyone and closed up the girls and the chickens for the night.

Last night I noticed my hand was not as tight and shiny. This morning when I got up the swelling had gone down by half. Believe me it looked like a fat club yesterday morning. Today I can actually close my hand but still can't quite straighten it out. My head and body muscles are a little better this morning. I am going to take somemore advil to help with the aches and pains. I am just so darn glad the swelling has gone down that much and its only been 2 days since I fell. I can even use my pointer finger and thumb to button my pants. Its amazing what you take for granite until you lose it.

Thanks for the offer Kristin I really appreciate it. Many thanks for everyones positive thoughts and prayers. It must be working cause I think I'm on the mend and so quickly.

I am going to make chevre today. I have about 3 gallons of milk in the fridge and its the easiest to make. I really want to try to make feta cheese but have not had the nerve to make it yet. I am always afraid it will not work and I will waste a gallon of milk. I really love feta cheese. I have a brown rice and feta cheese bake recipe thats really good and healthy for you. I know it would really taste good in that.

Well I'm off to the garden if I can get in without sinking to try and stand my tomtato and pepper plants up. I can't rake but I can still pull weeds with my left hand. They sure are taking over quickly. I need to try to get a handle on them.

You all take care and have a good day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 23 2011 07:16:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile
i am happy to hear you are somewhat better today linda. i know you are trying to stay dry and warm. we are going to be 31 tomorrow night. i have not set my tomatoe plants out yet. we always get a freeze or two in june. here is hoping your tomatoes are good. i would be soaking my hand in epsom salts. glad your better today happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  12:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Glad you are doing better Linda! I agree with Sherrye about the epsom salts.

Jeez Sherrye, 31 degrees! We are over 100 here during the day which is pretty hot for us!

I just posted about the three generations of my goat girls on my blog, hope ya'll take a look! :)

http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/06/goat-girls.html

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. Power was out this morning then i got busy. I am making chicken pot pie all from scratch with the leftover chicken I cooked a few days ago. Then made some plantain salve for itcy skin. Also have been playing with the grand upstairs. Which is ALL CLEAN! We went up there yesterday during the rains and cleaned it all up! I just love a clean room. Now if I can just clean downstairs now. Also went to town and got 3 huge beef hearts from the slaughterhouse for the dog food. So I have been busy. Also stopped on the side of the road and picked Queen Ann's lace and Blackeyed Susans. I love them. They are all over the house now.

Linda, so glad your hand is better. You still need to take it easy with it. It's nice to have help. I'm glad your family is there now to help you. By the time they leave you should be much better.

Angie, mine are the same wya. Very wimpy critters. A few sprinkles and they are off to the barn. The sheep though. They are a totally different creature. I have a shelter out back for them but they stand in the rain. The little ram wants in though. They were under the shed one day so I know they know where it is. It just doesn't bother them like a princess goat.

Sherrye, I cannot imagine how cold that is there in June. Wow. My sis is in Col. Springs and she said it hasn't gotten to 75 yet and that's cold for her.

Oh, we also went to see my new little doeling. Shes so cute. And so naturally hornless too!!!! I am so excited about that. She is the only kid that is. I should be getting her in a few weeks. I need to work on weaning these kids. But then I am going to have to milk twice a day. I think I might get a pig again. Lord help me!

Candy, I will go look at your blog now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Candy, they are all so pretty. It sounds like my doe Sandy with having so many stinkin' bucks. I have some serios talks with her. It is nice to have 3 generations I bet. I will be keeping Abby's doe kid so I will have 2 generations here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Wow Kris, are you sure you want another pig! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey, it's just a small thought at the moment. But what to do with almost 2 gallons of milk a day? I can only eat so much cheese! I think I might be able to handle one little piggie. Thought about 4 cattle panels with t posts in the garden area with a little shelter for it. Just a thought.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  05:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I hear ya' about the extra milk! It seems I make cheese every other day, got some chevre on to drain right now! LOL!! So far, I'm still selling my extra cheese at the Farmers Market, shhhh!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile
good morning, well it was 40 last night. tonight is forcast for 31 again. so after this week i will set out my tomatoes. cold spring here. i am selling so much milk i hardly have enough for us. i am still trying to figure out who i am going to milk. i am hoping for a new trained cow. where it will come from or how i could buy it i dont know yet. LOL darcy was going to buy one. now she thinks she better not. so i am still thinking about it. if maddie is too hard to train then i will need a new cow. candy you are a busy gal for sure.
Kris, LOL another pig? well with our pigs if they dont get enough pig pellet protein along with their goodies they will not grow fast. we feed a pellet along with the milk etc. this way they reach market weight by 6 or 7 months old. how are your goats doing? are the kids weaned? we are working on that now here. you have been a busy girl. is kansas staying with you right now? i wish i had a clean room. i need to clean so bad. this flu has me stopped. i will milk today and go easy. i helped a couple farms this week even sick. so today i need to stop and rest some. i hate being sick. so how is your hand doing are the fingers ok? hope your better today. way hard milking broken.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page