Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  07:08:12 AM  Show Profile
So sorry for the both of you Sherry. Hope the doe heals mentally and physically. Praying for good things to come to you and your farm.

Hi Angie hope all is well with you.

Friday morning in the wee hours we had another thunderstorm and more rain. So between the 2 rains we had enough to do everything some good. The cool down came Sunday afternoon. It was a super pleasant evening. We went down to 56 degrees last night. I had my windows open and the ac off. I am sick of the ac running and no fresh air but it has been so horribly hot I needed it. What a blessing it was doing chores this morning. I actually wore pants instead of shorts and felt chilly.

I didn't give any of the Kansas babies bottles this morning. I stopped finally and they were not real thrilled with me. I gave them a little extra grain than usual to fill up that void their morning bottle filled. After about 10 minutes they settled down ate their feed and then started on their hay. They range from 15 weeks to 19 weeks so I think they are old enough. I was so glad not having to wash bottles and heat up milk. I felt so much lighter this morning and I also will have a little extra milk for us finally.

Kristin hope you get some rain and maybe some of the cooler air. I know what you mean about the too much rain thing and then wanting it. This has been a crazy spring if you want to call it that. I think it skipped us this year. The beets I planted are all just about up. I planted another row of beans in place of the carrots that rotted. I hope to see them soon. Since the rain I can't believe how many weeds have popped up its crazy.

Kristin hope you can get those bucks sold. When will you get your little doeling? I know she was not old enough to leave yet. Are you getting a good amount of milk from your does in the morning? I know the pictures you posted looked like that had super nice udders.

Well I need to make out bills and balance the checkbook....yuck. Now that the weekend is over need to get back into the swing of things on the farm. Was a busy weekend with mom being here and the party my son and his wife had at their place. Glad to be home on the farm and peace once again around me. I love family and friends but also love the tranquility of being home alone. I feel like it recharges me in some way. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 13 2011 07:10:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  1:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Linda. It will get better here.

I have those three does I bought a couple months back. Well, they must have been breed somewhere down the road. It is not that they are huge, just am seeing udder develope,girth width a little round and they have not been in a heat cycle since being here. I wish I could afford an ultrasound, but not right now. I will have to just keep an eye on them.
Whta do you ladies think if I offered the babies for little money, no papers and explain that they came to me pregnant. I can not be sure what they were breed to. I am worried it may be a buck that is too big for them. I hope not.

Kristin- How is it? Are you staying cool?

Sherrye-I hope your doe is doing well.

It is a nice day here. I wish I had time to be in my garden, but real estate and family keeps me in!
Well ladies, I will chat later.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all. yeah, it's hot here. I just mowed the back yard jungle. I am soaked. I have to waterthe garden really good tonight. It's so dry here everything's turning brown. What are we gonna do? I told Kansas to go out and do a rain dance but now she's afraid of a storm from that tornado. She's probably praying for it NOT to rain. Anyway, it's been over a month since there's been any here.

Linda, the little doeling I am getting is a few weeks younger than mine are. So it may be another month before I get her. I am so ready to get these bucks gone. I am going to put the sign out tonight. And put an ad in the Ga. market bulletin too. I need to wean them.

Sherrye, how are you and all your critters? I hope Marilyn's ok.

Rae, I just bought 3 6 month old Katahdin-Dorper ewes. They could possibly be bred but the ram was just messing with one of them yesterday. So I was thinking that in the fall my little ram will be old enough to breed these ewes. I am going to look up all these type sheep to see if they would be a good mix. I am just going to have these ewes for my foundation stock for meat lambs next year. The ram is part Hampshire, Sufflok and something else. So that is good meat breeds too I think. I am so excited to have found these ewes. And they are just a few miles from me up on Lookout Mt. And she will take $250. for all 3 of them! I am so happy. And I know the little ram will be too. This way I won't have to castrate the little guy. I was thinking while I was out mowing that I will need alot more hay this winter. Yikes!

I hope y'all are having a nice day. My little granddaughter will be going to camp right up the road Wed. thru Fri. She'll spend the night too!!! Yeah! I am going to get the other 2 grands to take them swimming at the lake tomorrow. None of their parents ever do anything with these kids. I feel like I am raising kids all over again. What is wrong with people these days? We always did things with our kids. Camping all the time. All kinds of fun things.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  07:05:28 AM  Show Profile
good morning, just a quick note, big day. we are good kris. thanks for asking everyone . marilyn seems ok. just ok. so when i get out today i will let her out with ginger in the yard. i milked her last night. she is giving about a quart a milking. we were almost freezing cold last night. angie, sorry to hear things are tough right now there. mom lived with us for 10 yrs. not easy. thanks to you all for your support with marilyn. i tested her for cae. if she is clear she is sold. they want to milk her. i hope it works for her sake. i will not keep her. i have 6 does and 1 kid doe. i want 2 or 3 does. i like you all need to wean the babies. i have a friend coming to help. we need to tighten fence holes. i know the kids will do anything to get to mama for milk. we are heading into FINE weather. so outside for me. hope you all have a fine day and not toooo hot or toooo cold. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I posted pictures of the baby goat boys on my blog this morning! You can see them here:

http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/06/baby-goat-boys.html

We had an escape yesterday and the "weaned" boys got to mom! LOL!! I need to sell them so I put them on craigslist this morning. We were going to keep one to butcher but DH has decided he doesn't really care for the goat meat! Oh well!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile
What nice pics. Candy! Your boys are very cute. I do love my boys, even as ornery as they are.

Sherrye- I am glad to hear Marilyn is ok. I hope her test comes out negative too. I have all mine tested and everyone is clear. I appreciate our understanding my crazy life. I know I am not tthe only to have parents live with them. I just wish it was not so hard.

I have been very busy, and very tierd. I am not sure what my deal is, but I need to make myself lay down and get some sleep. I am just wore out. Maybe it is allergies, or stress.

So I told you ladies earlier about my new does that are pregnant by unknown buck. I was wondering what you thought if I offered them for sale, so...
What do you ladies think if I offered the babies for little money,like maybe 35 dollars; no papers and explain that they came to me pregnant. I can not be sure what they were breed to. Does this make sense? Is this the best thing to do with the babies?

Well I must get going. Lots to do around here and more house showing later.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
I got my girls home. We got their hooves trimmed while they were being held to go in the crate. So that's done. We got all 3 in a big dog crate. And of course by the time we got home, which was just about 13 miles, the whole crate was full of pee and poop. Goodness, goats and sheep sure do that alot. So we got them here and I backed up to the gate. I got the other gate shut so the goats wouldn't be coming in. Just when I was trying to get them out, the guy who is going to castrate Chuck came. So he helped get them out. Well, I sure wish I had went ahead and put them in the backyard, which is through the gate right there. But do you think those silly sheep would go right through a gate? Uhuh. No. They ran the other way. Then as we were trying to get them to go the other way and turn left into the backyard, they kept going back to the weak corner. Then one got out! She was in the yard for awhile while I went crazy. So I went inside to eat. Came back out and the goats came to help. The one outside wanted back in bad, so I opened the gate and ran her over there and in she went. Then it took another hour to get them to finally go to the back yard, where there is plenty to eat and fresh water. So they are in the back yard til they eat that down. And so I can get to know them better. I didn't want to just let them out up front in that big pasture. I'd never see them again. So I figured a smaller space would be better right now. I can hardly see them for all the tall wheat grass. Anyway, the ram is kind of confused. The ewes have sniffed him and not butted him like the goat kids did. They are tolerating him right now. And Kansas has named him Earl. And she wants to name 2 of the ewes. One Joy and the other Catalina. Can you guess what that came from?

Sherrye, did I see that you are going to sell marilyn to someone who will be milking her?

Candy, I am going to look at your blog in a few minutes. I know what ya mean about escapees.

Going to separate the kids right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Wow Kris! Never a dull moment when we are dealing with the critters! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile
Candy, there is usually something going on somewhere here. Right now all the sheep are grazing in the backyard together. They found the water. I need to put the white salt block out there for them later. They are so cute. I need some really cute "ewe"nique names now for them. I don't think I like the other names. Earl might stick for the ram though. Maybe names that start with U like then I could call them ewe something. Like Eweniece or however that's spelled. So if anyone has some cute names, let me know.

We just had a little rain!! Yippee! It actually got a bit wet too. And way much cooler. Kansas went to camp this morning til Friday. It did not get down there yet. It's just a mile away. That's what happened the other day. Rain was about a 1/4 mile from here but never got here. So maybe it's working it's way to the end of the cove. Everything is turning brown. When I got home awhile ago, my poor squash was all shriveled up. It's just pitifully dry. I can almost hear the ground begging for water. So if anyone wants to do some rain dancin', go ahead!

Sherrye, how are things at your farm today? Hope all is well.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  05:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
"Really cute "ewe"nique names"

Oh Kris, that is funny!! LOL!! I like Eweniece!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, crazy busy days here. i was actually able to use the new milker last night. hazel still has a bad quarter. soooo hard to milk out. she is better though. belle is never a challenge. i will miss her milk. i am doing every other day milking on her. she will calve in sept. papa and i have been running fast to get the money for the house payment. gov. ofc. called and sent a letter reassuring me it would work out. i just need to hang on while the papers are sortted. so for now still no income except farm milk eggs etc. so far so good.
Angie, marilyn was a rescue also. i just told them i knew little about her. she is doing great at milking. i like her as far as goats go. i just need 2 or 3 does. betty and ginger are registered. so i will keep them. the whole family thing can sure be difficult. i know i loved mom but with her here 24/7 it was hard. as farmgirls we do what is there for us to do. like caring for our older folks. so hats off to you angie. sending hugs.
Kris how fun for you. i know you were wanting those sheep for awhile now. hope they behave and stay in. i bet you are deep in chicken butchering right now. hope it goes good for ya.
We are getting set up to milk maddie. she let me milk a squirt or two out of her bag. i tasted it. YUM. today we are gone all day. then sat. i can get more done here. we are helping some folks down the road today. we froze again last night. we never know here on the high desert when cold will come. i still have my plants in greenhouse. hope you all have a fine farmgirl day with a gentle sun on your back. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  07:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Kristin glad you got your sheep. I know I miss my sheep I had romney,shetlands and some crosses. If I had a seperate place to keep them I think I would get a few. Maybe down the road someday. Glad you got the escapie back in. We had the same thing happen to us when we first brought our sheep home. I was totally freaking out. But they finally wanted in with the rest later that day so it worked out.I hope you get some rain soon. I freak out when everything starts turning brown. We had a bad drought last year and I sware I could see the trees crying for rain.

Sherry glad you are getting some cows to milk,and eggs. I hope things get better. I can't believe you had another freeze last night. I had no idea it still did that anywhere this time of year well maybe except Alaska. Good thing you have that greenhouse or you would lose everything for sure.

The bottle babies from Kansas are officially weaned since Monday. They are doing pretty good without the bottles. I increased their grain a little at breakfast the first 3 days and backed off a little today. They seem to be handling it pretty good even though they still punch my hands when I walk in. I am glad to finally to be free of bottles.
We had rain yesterday not a ton but enough to help the garden. I have to say the creek on our property is not running very well. Its getting to where its hardly flowing. Its a pretty good size creek but big enough the county put a bridge over it. This creek follows the road for many miles and goes through many peoples property. When its flooding here thats one scary creek. During the spring flood last year I actually seen the flood water push a Ford Bronco over the top of the bridge and down the road. The water had to be over 20 foot high. Now its barely over my ankles and in some spots theres no water at all. They are calling for a chance of rain Friday through Saturday.... we shall see.

Angie I hope things get better with your family. Believe me I know how challenging parents can be even though we love them. Take a nice nap and be good to yourself.Sometimes getting a little nap once in awhile can do wonders for the soul.

Well I'm off to pull weeds again in the garden. I sware that little rain made 100's of them pop up over night. Its like they are on stearoids or something. You all have a super duper day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile
I think I have names for the sheep. My grands all have such cute names and I just love their middle names. So this morning I was watching them. There is one that is very vocal. She will be named after Kansas lealah. Kansas never shuts up. That kid could talk the pants off someone. She is also always in motion. So is this ewe. She was the only one standing and walking while she was talking. So Miss lealah belle she is.

The other 2 were both laying down eating. Not talking at all. Just like Chloe and Coryn. They are Gracie and Fionna. I feel so good having sheep again. Even though they are a little skittish yet. I hope to get them to come to me some day. I think I'll go get some sweet feed just to get them to come to me. I'll have to find some without minerals in it. Little Earl is not so lonely anymore. But he still wants to go to his stall to bed at night.

Sherrye, sounds like things are looking up a little bit more for y'all. I hope they will take care of that for you.

Linda, that creek does sound scary when it's full. There is a creek behind my mom's house. When it hasn't rained in awhile, there is still water running. Kids love to play in it. Some even fish. But when it rains, watch out! I sure wish we had a stream here. I pulled weeds this morning. They sure come up easier when the ground's wet. I bet all the seeds I planted the last few weeks will be coming up now after all that good rain we got last night. The sun's shining and will draw them all out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  1:26:36 PM  Show Profile
wELL MY LAST DOE DELIVERED TODAY BUT HER BUCKLING WAS DEAD. sHE HAD A HARD TIME & i THINK HE COULDN'T BREATH. Sorry for the caps-mi fingers always hits that button.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  2:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Karla, that's so sad. Was that the only one she had? I hope she is ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  3:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Karla! Hope momma goat is okay!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh so sorry Karla. I hope your doe is ok. It is always hard to lose any of them. Even if we didn't know them for long.

post more later... running late!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile
The doe is doing fine except for the constant bawling looking for her baby. Yes it was the only one. I am hoping next year will go better for her-she does milk very nicely though!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  7:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Well, sold ALL the little baby goat boys through craigslist today! They just got picked up a few minutes ago! I got $40 each for them, I was asking $50 each, they were 2-1/2 months old. I figure with the price of alfalfa right now ($13 a bale), that wasn't too bad. Madeline (mom), and Nike (grandmommy) were kinda upset when they left but they will forget. :( I always feel so bad when they go. Funny thing, the guy that bought them bought our Jersey Giant Rooster a few months ago!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  9:15:18 PM  Show Profile
wow candy, that is so great. i am keeping some of my boys for meat. wish mine were weaned now.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  06:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Candy, that's great! Good for you. I had an ad on Craig's list too. I had someone email asking if I'd take $60. for all 3. Ha! Then I got a call from some very foreign person and I did not get one single thing they said. Some very strange people. So I have a sign out front now. I had a nice family stop but they of course want a doe. So I told them about the Pocket Farm across the ridge. That's where my little doeling is.

I was thinking this morning that I might need to keep one of Sandy's boys for breeding next fall to Zarah and the new doeling. If they are ready then. And I might just go ahead and band the other 3 and keep them for meat later also. If I can't sell them. SO there are a few options if they don't sell soon.

Candy, the does do seem to forget fast, don't they? I don't think Abby minds leaving hers for the night. But Sandy just goes bazerck. And so do her boys. They are very loud. Then they all settle down.

The sheep are settleing in nicely. The backyard almost looks good now. I love looking out the bathroom window and seeing 3 white sheep and a little balck ram following them. He seems so much more calmer now that he's been with the girls. But he's still my baby! When I go out there he comes running.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
good morning, well we had a nice surprise yedterday. my last doe kidded. she had 2. one buck one doe. now this is esthers first time. she did great. i was cleaning the hog pen with the tractor. i went to milk marilyn and there were 2 babies and esther in the walkway. WOW they are very cute. the girl has boer ears the boy has elf ears. i gave them their bo-se shot and dipped their umbilical cords in iodine. hopefully we are done with kidding now. now we start weaning. i put marilyn on the milker lasy night. she did not even move. it was so fast. i will need to get the pressure right for goats. i am going to milk ginger and marilyn and possibly ebony. i might as well. i need the money, have the milk. so i will post on craigs for goat milk. here it is going for 7.00 a gallon. in oregon i can have 9 goats in milk and 2 cows in milk and sell it. i am a milking mama for sure. how are all the weaning kids doing? KRIS i had the grands and wow am i tired now. it is always fun but what a lot of energy they have. any more snakes??????? how are your sheep doing? you have everything on your place. candy wish my bucks were sold already. marilyn is doing great. not sure she is sold now. i think they were nervous when her babies died. i think the erroe was toooooo much alfalfa and rich food. i think it was discussed here. the babies were BIG. i bet they could not turn to come out right. the fact that she lost all three is sad. when belle had to have alfalfa the goats ate it too. so maybe she had too big a babies. i feel sad it may have been caused by me. they were fed alfalfa through belles injury till she healed. remember she was spitting up hay. she is better now. well thats what i am thinking. so i may be milking 3 goats 2 cows. it will help make the house payment till the unemployment thing gets worked out. we are finally warming here. for 3 days its been cold windy and froze. now warming and hot. thats the high desert for you. well hope you have fine farmgirl days whereever you may be. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  6:39:03 PM  Show Profile
So more kids for Sherrye! How many did you get all together? And that's alot of milking. Ya know, we can never really know why certain things happen to our animals. We cannot blame ourselves for every little thing. I know how you feel though. Like, could you have done something or been there at the right time. Maybe this would have worked or that. It's just one of those things that happen. Right now, I have a very hot hen. I had no idea that they were so hot out there in that coop. I hate cooping them up, but my garden sure loves it. So I have to go the extra mile to make them happy while they are cooped up.

I have not SEEN any more snakes. But I am careful. I take a how with me out back now. And I am careful when I check for eggs on the floor of the barn. The sheep are doing great. I seem to go outside right when they are by the door and I scare them. And the ram is getting bigger every day. He sees me now and comes running very fast and runs right into me. I am not liking that. But the ewes are so cute. I love watching them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  06:46:26 AM  Show Profile
Karla sorry for loss and hope your doe gets past the loss. It sure is heartbreaking when they cry for their babies. Good luck with her.

Candy glad your got them sold. Its hard sometimes to move animals. Kris I hope you get a good home for your boys. Glad your sheep are doing well. I bet they are cute.

Its thundering again as I sit here at the computer. We have been getting rain everyday and its getting quite muddy here again and reallay muggy. I need to go out and close the barn door again. I am back to haying them and cleaning the barn everyday. They are spending alot of time in again because of the rain. They have us in rain for the next 5 days. Thats about crazy. I tried working in the garden this morning but I sank in the mud and could hardly walk so I ditched that idea.

We had another long weekend of driving and vising family. My uncles surprise party was 4 hour round trip saturday. Yesterday was over my sons house for fathers day and fishing. It was a pretty good time but wanted to be home a little but that didn't work out. Did chores in the morning and headed out each day to just get home in time to do chores and then it was dark. Glad its Monday and can get a few things caught up on. Love the visiting but hate having to be gone so long each day. Worry about the animals and no one close around to check on them. I get nervous being gone 8 and 10 hours.

Went out and closed the barn door. I just made it in and its just dumping rain like crazy. It looks like another gully washer for my driveway. When you live on a hill, what is up on top always washes down.......that being my gravel in the driveway.

Kristin did you manage to keep your kefir alive? I noticed a lady posted that she uses kefir for making water bubbly. I tried freezing my kefir and then thawing it out but it didn't work. Was wondering if you use the same kefir for this as you do milk?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Linda, there is a water kefir. I let my milk kefir go bad. I need some more. I am getting a half gallon a day now from each goat. Abby's milk all goes to the lamb. It is still not good for us to drink. I think it is just the really hot dry weather. Not much moisture in the grasses they eat. But Sandy's is good. I need to make some cheese. I am back to watering again. It sounds like you are all or nothing up there. Yesterday was so hot it nearly wiped me out. I had to lay down on the couch for about an hour and take a little nap. Me and Kansas are going to pick corn at a friend's farm later this afternoon. Well, about 8. I want to see if blueberries are ripe at the blueberry farm too. I did some chores outside this morning and was dripping wet. Not likin' that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page