Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  07:01:26 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. I hope everyone had a great weekend. It is so hot here. In the mid 90's for the next 7 days with NO chance of rain. What is going on? I need to hook up the hose to the well and water the garden with that. I think it will be better than city water. found another hose to use. I got to til some more last night and plant some heirloom sweet corn had saved seeds from last year. I hope it comes up. My zinnias are coming up. My very favorite flowers. I went to the Chatt. market yesterday and found the prettiest handmade purse made from old vintage apolstery fabric. All pieced together like a quilt. And has some denim with a denim pocket in the front for the ole cell phone and keys that always seem to fall to the very bottom pit of the purse.

I am so ready to sell these kids. They are getting into everything. They were up on the well house jumping off. And hubby was in the bathroom yesterday and said he saw them up on the AC unit. I hope they can't tear that up. They are getting so big. I think I will put the sign out front. And I have so many eggs too. Need to sell the extras. I am selling at least 4 dozen a week but then have so many more that I need to sell. And that's my spending money. And the milk money too. That's how I bought the purse.

Sherrye, I hope you can get this straightened out soon. That would be worrying me to death. I will be thinking of you today.

Linda, has it rained there yet? Isn't that strange to be asked that? It's usually is it sunny there yet? I hope you get your garden in while ya can. I weeded some this morning. And had to tie the tomatoe plants again. The 3rd time already. They are getting so big. ANd have tomatoes on most of them. I am really pleased with the heirloom plants. Really nice and healthy. I put some manure tea on them and they have just taken off. I just put some on the little cucumbers the other day and the squash and zuc. Everything looks so good but I have to water every day. It's not supposed to be so humid today so maybe I can do some more during the day today.

We are waiting for hubby to go back to work. his vacation is over. We have to wait on a truck for him now. I might have to drive him to Atlanta ot Kingsport, Tn. to get his truck. When he takes a vacation he has to clean out his truck and turn it in. When he goes back he gets a newer truck. Which is nice but it sure is a hassel. I am ready to get back to normal again. I have cooked so much the past 2 weeks. But i love to cook.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  07:28:11 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, thank you so much for your concern. in the first few days i would wake up in cold sweats. i was truly shook to my center. to think they could do it legally. that is so scary. i think if i milk enough cows it will work. i am a sick disabled farmgirl. so it is the challenge of everyday that scares me. with 3 cows i think i could make the house pymt. Jah has seen fit to help me. i now have 1. 2 free cows to milk and my cow. 2. a brand new milk machine and pump. ( does not work yet) 3. 10 acres free pasture chemical free for the girls. 4. a produce route for feed. 5 golf cart 6. and most important a God that loves me-a man that is my soul mate to help - friends for support - and FARMGIRLS TO KEEP ME GOING. SO SATAN STEP BACK. I AM EMPOWERED BY MY FAITH. THANKS GIRLS FOR CARING ABOUT ME. so kris i hear you on the babies. i am going to start seperating as soon as i get maddie back and mookie here. my moms are looking too thin too. i am going to get some alfalfa mixed into the hay i am getting. we ran out in the county. my thought is i will seperate the babies at night now. i will milk ginger and then put them all together for the day. well i am soooo tired from all this money stuff. i gotta go milk and i am tired out the gate. its the stress that wears me thin for sure. i am saying over and over ( LET GO LET GOD )happy days here at the learn as we go silk purse farm sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye, you are in my prayers. But you are right God must deal with this, you must let it go. But having
that, it is harder to do then it is to say!

I hope you all stay cool and safe. We are gonna have heat indexes in tho 98-100 mark! YIKES!
I knew it was gonna be a hot nasty summer! Oh well, if we are careful, we can grow some good crops and keep all of our livestock.
Well off to shower, spent some time in the garden this morning and now I am very dirty! But I love it!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:47:24 AM  Show Profile
Angie, how far are you from Noblesville? I may have asked you that before but I am old. Our son and his family live there. I always thought In. was nice and cool. It's going to be 95 here and the rest of the week about the same. Have to get out early and then again later. I like the evening to get garden stuff done.

Opps, forgot to ask Sherrye if she has heard any good news yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jun 07 2011 06:48:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  08:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Well Kristin still no rain in my area and things are getting very dry. 30 minutes from me they got a nice shower. Can you believe it no rain and for 2 months straight it wouldn't stop. I am watering the garden and half the beans are up and some of the ones I replanted in between that didn't come up. Tomatoes are looking pretty good,pepper plants and sweet potatoes look good too. I just have to water every morning without fail. We have been in the 90's just about everyday. Today and tomorrow its suppose to hit 95 and the next day 97 with high humidity...yuck. Keeping the fans at the barn running and my ac is on. At least when I come in from chores and working in the garden I can get a cool shower and stay comfortable inside.

I seperated my 2 does I bought in Kansas from the 2 boys. Omg they are so upset not to be a little gang. I think the 2 boys are doing worse then the 2 girls. It will take time for the Kansas girls to get use to my gang. I lock them in a stall at night with their hay and water so no one will be mean to them. Then during the day I turn them out with the rest. So far so good we shall see.

Sherry just wanted you to know my son who has autism(he's 30 years old) was on disability since he was 18. He started working part time when he was 21 because he was doing better with his disability. I was sending into the state the past 9 years what he made and they would caculate and adjust what he recieved from the state. Well they royally messed up and now we owe them 20,000 thousand dollars!!! We just found this out about 5 months ago. We did an appeal and of course they won. We have set up payments and thats just how it is. We had some savings/incometax and put a lump some of $5600 down. We are down some but it really is a bummer. I did what I was suppose to do and they still screwed up. My son is working and not making much but wants to be like everyone else. He thinks he is being punished. So we are helping him. Just wanted to share with you because I know what a hard time you are having. Hugs and prayers sweetie.

Well you all stay cool. I am going to get some lunch I am starving. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 07 2011 08:33:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  10:23:19 AM  Show Profile
Kris, What breed are your bucklings that you have for sale?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  3:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Linda, that is so not right. It's like the honest hard working people just can't make it. And the crooks do. So not right. And so scary. This can happen to anybody. I am so sorry this is happening to y'all too.

Kim, I have a Nubian doe and a Lamancha doe. I bred them with a buck that is 3/4 Lamancha and 1/4 Nubian. So Sandy, the Nubian, had 2 cute little bucks with elf ears. One looks just like her, mostly red with toggles or wattles, whatever they are called. The other one is a lighter color, almost like a Milky Way color. Both have the stripes on their faces. Then Abby, the Lamancha, has a cute buck that looks like her, all black with off white legs and stripes on his face and has white spots on the black parts. He has gopher ears. They are all disbudded but Zeke, the black one, has a part of the right horn coming back. I am going to see if my friend will come try to burn it off.

It's so hot here. It's just draining me. I have a headache. I need to go work in the garden but I have no desire at all to go out there. And we have how many more months of this? Then it will be freezing cold. Oh my goodness, what happened to spring??

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  04:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! I can not believe how hot already is this morning. And we are suppose to have 25 mile an hour winds today! UGH!
Kris- We are about 2-3 hours from Nobelsville. My sil lives there with her family. Infact the end of June I will be going on a trip with my sil and some other ladies I have knowen for over 10years, but never meet! I have been internet chat friends with some ladies from all over our nation for a very long time. So this year we will be taking a trip and meeting some of these ladies. We are driving from here to Virginia Beach, and on the way will pick some of these ladies up. It is going to be a blast. We had one lady flying in from Washington, then going to Indy, where my sil is picking her up, then they are coming here. Then off to PA, to p ick up two more ladies, then to Virginia Beach to stay at another ladies! It is not costing me much because I am gonna be the driver. My sil is renting the van as long as I drive. She hates to drive and I do not care.
Well off to work with the in the barn yard and in the garden.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  06:34:15 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, well i am sitting on the floor with my back to a heater. we are still cold here in the a.m. we went and received our foodstamps yesterday. today we hope to file our appeal to unemployment. we will see what happens. milking is getting easier these days. we are looking for one more cow in milk. with 3 we may be able to make the house pymt. all else will come as it can. the chickens are laying too. WOW angie what fun you will have. a nice big adventure. to just now gettin to meet them/ what fun. who is milking for you? sounds like a great road trip. please take pics i am just now going to start weaning goats. marilyn is still pregnant. LINDA, kris is right the honest seem to be the ones who get busted. we are going to try to make it work to stay here. i ordered my soap making supplies. we are thinking too of making a milk har tote out of feed bags. its papas idea. we throw sooo many away. well kris and you gilrs are right. with kids on them i am sure having a time with weight on goats. so i am going to suppliment with more alfalfa pellet. i hope it warms up here today. crazy weather all over the states. our garden is slow. we had a freeze 2 nights ago. hope you all stay nice and cool today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  2:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Geeze, I cannot imagine what cold feels like right now. It's 90 something. I did get a few rain drops on the windshield driving home awhile ago.

Angie, I hope y'all have a great time! Sounds like fun.

Sherrye, I am so glad you got food stamps. That will help out alot. And I hope you get another cow. Do you already have people wanting milk? I am still thinking about a dairy heifer calf to raise.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  07:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sherry would love a little of that cool air here. We hit 97 at my house yesterday. After I came in from chores I felt about sick. I am taking 2 showers a day. Between watering the garden, animals and the extra showers I dread my next water bill.

I am getting ready to wean the 4 kids I bought in Kansas. The youngest one is now 14 weeks old. They have really grown and look super nice. I hate to take that last bottle away from them. They are so happy when I give them their one bottle in the morning. I will feel guilty when I stop. I had planned to stop this Sunday. If they scream too much I may give in and go a little longer.

Angie that sounds like a super good time. I bet you ladies will have a blast. I could use a trip like that.

I went to a festival across the river in Kentucky last weekend and had a really good time with Maryjane farmgirl(Lisa) that lives 30 minutes from me. We crossed over on the ferrie from the Ohio side to the Kentucky side which was really neat. I bought 2 cds of music from 2 people who were playing there. The cd music is folk, celtic, and mountain music. They played heavenly while we were there. The lady played the celtic flute like an angel...it was pefect. I have really enjoyed listening to their cds. One of the cds is called Up River-Hollowspell. That one if my favorite.

Well I need to get some indoor housework done. Lots of laundry, sweeping, you know the fun stuff...lol.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  9:18:44 PM  Show Profile
it is so true. we do the outside chores,,,,,then,,, inside chores.LOL i am needing to go to sleep. kris i will share my thoughts tomorrow.. i need HELP>>> hazel has mastitus in her front left quarter. thats my big quarter. all ideas. vet said milk 4 times a day. what else girls. i am going to give rescue remedy tomorrow.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile
It finally happened after 3 weeks. We had a small thundershower roll through here about 9:30. Its still rumbling a little bit outside, almost sounds like growling. I think we might have gotten 1/4 inch of rain. I had just got done watering the garden and some of the herbs. So the rain water should really help out alot. Our ground here has really huge cracks all over. I hope we get some more. They are calling for popup showers the rest of the day and by Sunday its suppose to cool down to 79 to 82 degrees. That will feel like heaven. Unforunately today its gonna hit the 90's again....... yucko.

Sherry sorry to hear about your cow. What is rescue remedy? I don't think I have heard of that before and what is it used for. I would milk her often for sure and use some pepermint oil. I know some people use the teat infusion called "Today". Its an intermammary antibiotic you put into the teat. Goodluck and hopefully Kristin will have a better idea of what to do.

Well my Mom is on her way and still need to sweep the house before she gets here. Take care and stay cool or warm depending on what ya need.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  08:09:30 AM  Show Profile
hi linda, i am happy you are getting some rain. we are warming up. rescue remedy is a homeopathic remedy for people. i use it on cows. under the tongue. thanks for the help. we are using the todays this afternoon. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  7:23:31 PM  Show Profile
SHerrye, I sure hope you get the mastitis under control. Goodness, you have had the problems lately.

Linda, that's so strange after the many months of monsoon you've had, to say we are so glad you got rain. But really, that's so strange. About 20 miles North of me they got good rain yesterday. We got nothin'.

The ram lamb's tail finally fell off this morning!!! He looks so much better now. And is walking on that front leg. And he's eating everything now. I can't take him to the garden with me anymore. He loves broc and grape leaves and beet leaves. So no more lamb in the garden.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  06:53:34 AM  Show Profile
hey there kris, i have had a few extra challenges lately. i just keep saying get behind me satan i have things to do. no time for worry or complaining we are so blessed with so much. so we are going full speed ahead. its only one quarter. we got the machine working last night. so i know i will get her milked out good now. its called a clear view. i can see the milk from each quarter come out. HUGE help. she was a trooper last night. we worked the bad one a long time. i would love a pic of your little lamb. i bet its so cute now. is he still nursing off your goat? hope you all have a good day. i am off to milk and we have 2 farm tours today. we are averaging 2 a week now. we had 6 kids under 5 the other day. SOOOOO much fun. there was one little boy. he was 2. shy quiet would not talk. hid behind mom. when i started the tractor he ran to it. he said go tractor go. i took him for a ride. he helped scoop dirt and dump it. oh my... when we got off after all the kids had 2 rides he ran to me and hugged my leg. i was so moved. it felt like God giving me a hug. what a special boy he is. he is small frail quiet meek sweet shy but when the tractor came out he woke up inside. his mama said he reads the tractor book everyday. so for him to get to be on one was amazing for him. i was so tired when they left but so full of joy. we collected eggs, fed the goaties, saw the pigs. they had a blast and so did i. happy days here. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  4:09:33 PM  Show Profile
SAD DAY HERE....well marilyn had her kids today. first one dead from get go. next one breech and dead next one legs wrong position dead. so 3 dead big bucks and a sad doe. i milked her out. jake came and pulled the last kid. i pulled the breech. so we gave her antibiotics and oxytocin. she had strawberries grapes molasses some alfalfa pellet warm molasses water. she is calm. she just was perfect on the milk stanchion.so very sad. hazel is better today. i skipped one milking on belle today. i hate stopping. she is due sept. so jake said milk every other day one time. for awhile. so on a good note. i stood in corral with maddie and her baby. i brushed her. she allowed me to milk her teat while she ate pellet. this is amazing. she is a-2 so hoping to train her to milk and replace belle. so gotta do all the stuff that never got done while the babies were coming. so sad day here at the silk purse. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  6:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Sherrye. I know you have been excited and anxious for this birth to happen. Now this. I feel for Marilyn too.
I'm glad it is going well with Maddie. I love hearing about the goats and dairy cows. Maybe someday I'll have some too.
Keep your chin up. Know there are lots of farmgirls pulling for you that haven't posted about it.
Wow! 3,000 people! Some good has to come of that!
Hugs,
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  9:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I am so sorry. I know she must be so sad. And all that waiting. So so sad. Wonder what happened. Did the vet say anything. Your farm tours sound so fun. And how neat is that to be helping these little kids see how fun a farm can be. I love when kids come here. My grands could care less anymore. But when they bring friends it's like a whole new world.

It's just the same ole same ole here now. Put the does up front after I feed them. It's so funny now. The kids sound like they are saying "night" to their moms when they go past them out of the milkroom. So cute. Then they say it several more times. Sandy says "night" back but Abby's ready for a break. Then I milk them in the morning and the kids are so glad to see them again. I am just getting a little more than a half gallon from each goat once a day. I am going to make queso blanco cheese maybe Monday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  9:19:24 PM  Show Profile
the babies were in the wrong position. she had the first while i was milking. the second was backwards and stuck. so he held the other one in too long. so when the third came its hoof was bent back wrong. so they were all mixed up. she milked like a trooper tonight. i got about a quart. she passed her afterbirth tonight. so i am going to let her be with the others tomorrow if she feels ok. she is still shocky tonight. she ate a few berries. she barely made a sound through thiss. so sad indeed. thanks for the support girls. well gotta get ready for bed. sleep well my friends sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. I hope you had a good nights sleep and are nice and rested and ready for another day. I hope Marilyn is ok today. And that the milking goes well. And you get the mastitis cleared up soon. I am thinking of you today.

I still have some of the strawberries you sent me last year. They are in the new lettuce bed I made this week. I am going to get a few more. And some flowers. And didn't you also send some day lillies? They are all starting to bloom. I know my mom gave me a few. They are yellow and a pale orange. SO pretty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  10:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye sorry to hear of your loss, that is hard. When I had my sheep I lost babies and it was tough.

Cows are doing pretty good, happy to be out in pasture. Come up and lay around for a while during the day otherwise they are pretty much in the pasture.

Finally finishing up planting our garden. It has been cool and we have been so busy with fencing that.... hopefully will still get enough stuff to come up to carry for winter. Just a busy crazy spring around here. Just feel better with that garden in.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  1:23:18 PM  Show Profile
thanks rae, well we trimmed her hooves today. gave her a good cleaning. now she is milked and out with the herd. i am wondering????will she take a kid from another goat. if i got one and tried???why not??? do i need the skin of her baby. i could dig it up???? i posted on craigs to see if it would work. what do you think? i am also wondering. can i add oil to their diet? natural healthy oil on their alfalfa pellet? more fat my girls are so thin. i am pulling babies tonight. so i want to give the moms a mix. i have sunflower seeds also. so beet pellet alfalfa pellet acv de seaweed and maybe a tablespoon of oil. like olive or flax???thanks for the help. happy days here hazel is better too sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Sorry about the babies Sherrye! Give Marilyn an extra hug from me!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  5:10:01 PM  Show Profile
So sorry Sherrye :(. I feel for you both.

Rough day here. Just family stuff.

I hope you all have a good week.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page