Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:11:26 AM  Show Profile
thanks kris, they are so cute. the lamb is a real cutie. are you staying dry? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:19:08 AM  Show Profile
So Cute! I soooo want to have some goats. Your cuties are a tease!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:21:50 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 goats a beautiful toggenburg named Ellie she is 4 month old, and a beautiful nubian goat her name is MaryJane she is also 4 months old. they are the sweetest things. I had gotten them at under 4 days old, so I bottle fed them and keep-ed them in the house when they first arrived (it was the winter). they are just as affectionate as a dog if not more so!I can't wait to breed them.
LorraineMichelle
farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:23:46 AM  Show Profile
My boys are also doing the 4h with our goats. but they are still my babys!
LorraineMichelle

You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:25:02 AM  Show Profile
O, I want a lamb is it very diffrent?
LorraineMichelle

You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Connie, the bucks are for sale! Come see them sometime. Everyone needs goats. I can wether them but I was waiting for another month to do that.

Lorraine, sheep are not that much differnt from goats except they can NOT have copper. So they have to have just the white salt blocks. I can't keep sheep and goats together because of that. The goats need copper. But sheep will eat way down to the dirt where goats and cows only eat the tops. So sheep are good to come behind cows to eat more of the grass down. And sheep are more of a grazer and goats are browsers. Goats would rather eat a tree or bush rather than grass. But they will eat grass if that's all they have. I always throw tree branches in for the goats. Except of course wild cherry which would kill them.

The little lamb is so cute. I banded his tail and it should fall off soon. Then I will have to ban something else. I am still thinking about that because he will not be here that long. I usually butcher at about 9-12 months. And he will be with other rams til then. So it really doesn't matter to me. And the tail banding is traumatic enough.

Sherrye, we had a little rain this morning early. But we should get more later I hope. I have not heard the news too much but have heard that we are expecting some storms today.

Sherrye, did you send me some day lillies with all those other plants? Because I have some that are blooming now and they are yellow. They're beautiful. I keep forgetting to ask.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone. Took me awhile to catch up on reading the past few pages. Sounds like everyone is super busy. Hope everyone faired okay with the storms. I have been watching the news and its been terrible the tornadoes just seem to keep coming. We had rain and storms here everyday. Last night it rained 3 seperate times. This morning the sun came out and its really clear and blue outside!!! Fantastic!!!

All my goats headed up the hill to the pasture. I can tell their happy to get outside. I know it was nice to do chores this morning. It was wet but sunny. They are calling for rain again this afternoon and maybe a left over shower tomorrow but after that we are suppose to get several days of sun and heat. Can't wait for that but would rather pass on the hot temps.

Sherry congrats on your new little heifer. I bet she is beautiful.Glad you passed on that cow. Thats sure is alot of money for an aged cow.If she was free or really cheap that would be different.

Kristin that little lamb is super cute. Makes me miss having my wool sheep. I just love lambs. They have a certain sweetness about them. Your other babies have grown and are looking good.

Kim I would bet neighbor dogs are the culprit. They don't always dig under sometimes they climb over and just squeeze under. I would be running electric and lock them up tight at night. They will keep coming back. Good luck and hope you solve the problem. I know how upsetting that has to be. Hope your foot mends fast.

Kristin if it keeps raining here and we don't get the break I am coming to live by you. Sounds like your garden is doing great. I may just take you up on that offer.

I did manage believe it or not put some of my garden in this past Sunday. My hubby tilled it and its was pretty wet and clumpy when he was done. I planted the tomatoes, sweet italian peppers, sweet potatoes and swiss chard that I had started in the little greenhouse. That evening we had heavy rain and strong winds. It flatted most of my tomatoes and peppers. I stood most of them up and had to replace a few that broke off at the base.This morning had to replace 2 more. The rest seem to be doing pretty good. I also planted some beans and some of them were floating and were exposed. I waited until the garden drain and covered them back up with some topsoil I purchased from the store. Even it was wet........darn it anyhow. Anyway my beans were still covered this morning so hopefully they will come up soon. I can't wait. But all and all life is pretty good. After watching the news I am so grateful for what I have.Well I had better get outside while the getting is good and sunny. You all have a wonderful day and take care,

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile
My dog Bubba is a Yellow lab. I forgot that he is a jumper. Well, not really forgot because he does it every day. But it didn't occur to me that any other dogs would just jump over a fence too. If a dog wanted a little kid goat bad enough it would. So that's a thought. It's so sad though. I can't imagine something getting to one of my babies.

Linda, I am wanting to get some wool sheep too. I'll get a few more meat lambs when they are weaned in a few months. I'd love to get another bottle lamb for company for him. The goat kids are too rough with him right now. And the does are mean. So I can't keep him alone out there with them. I keep him in a big dog crate where he can see the others but they can't hurt him. I hope all your garden does well and you get a huge bounty soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  2:15:08 PM  Show Profile
I got to thinking, could my doe be acting like that because she is pregnant? Not sure if anyone remembered my question from a few pages back. If she isn't scared, is it possible? She came into heat the first time earlier this spring. Maybe my buck got her without me knowing?

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  4:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Krystle, that could be. How far along would she be? Some goats want to be with their people and others would rather just be alone. I have had both. And yeah, a buck is really sneaky. I do believe they can do it through the fence too.

Ok, my Sandy's udders are a mess right now. This morning she had a really long cut on her right udder near the teat. It looked like she had not let the kids nurse that side because it was full. And she would kick a little. ANd there is also another knot on that same teat. Dang. She is just so knotty. Are those buck kids really that rough or is something else going on with her? I just don't know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

Have you looked at Fiasco Farms website? I found this:

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/mastitis.htm

Their website was really helpful for me when my doe had ketosis after kidding. Hope you can get her figured out! HUGS!!

P.S. Your little lamb ram is SOOO cute!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on May 26 2011 5:27:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  04:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Candy. I read some other things too and I don't think she has mastitis. The milk is good. And they said a little blood is ok and to just let it settle at the bottom and pour off the top part to use. It tastes really good though so that's why I realy don't think it's mastitis. I think it's just the buck kids banging her around. Also said that it's common for awhile right after kidding. Her kids will be 6 weeks Sunday. I milked each side separate this morning so I can see what side it's coming from. It also said they's be off feed if they had mastitis and the udder would be hard and hot. It's not and she's eating ike a pig.

The lamb is still limping. Not I am more worried about that than Sandy. Poor little guy. I was hoping it would work itself out and he'd be fine in a few days.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  05:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Good deal Kris! Those little buck kids sure are rough on their old moms! I am going to wean mine Monday, get ready for lots of whining! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  05:32:14 AM  Show Profile
I put the does up front the other morning and left the kids out back. That lasted a few hours. It was horrible! All those kids did was cry. They were almost hoarse. It was just pitiful so I went ahead and put them all back together after I milked. They were already full in just a few hours. So good luck with your weaning! Do you have ear plugs?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  06:16:02 AM  Show Profile
i can say you are sooooo right about the crying. i just changed from alfalfa to grass hay. wow they are so not happy about it. they are saying wheres the good stuff. so i am not looking forward to the crying for milk. it will be my turn to wean next. it will be a noisy neighborhood for sure. i sure hope you get your goaties figured out kris. i bet they are head butting her bag like was said. we had hard rain last night. everything is wet. got to get ready for the doctor this am so yak at ya later. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  06:27:18 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for not being on for so long, it has been crazy busy here.

I am so sorry to hear about your lose Kim. I bet it is a coyote or dog. Have you thought of a monitor in the barn so you can hear what is going on. Maybe get some guineas or turkeys or a guard animal. All of them would mkae noise if something is near.

Sherrye-congrats on the heifer. I can not believe it, but our hereford has yet to deliver. She is huge. She rocks to stand up when laying now!

Kris-I pray you can figure out the issues with you doe and her utters. Maybe her kids need to be removed. Maybe she needs some healing. I know this is more work for you, but...I guess that is what we do! LOL LOL

I hope you are all fairing well in this crazy weather. We got a lot of rain for the past two days. I hope today is better. I am sick of cleaning stalls!!!!

Well of to do garden work, clean stalls and just get sore!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  07:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Kristin: She was in heat in March/April when it started warming up here. I know I wrote it down but since I have been doing re-organizing I can't find half the stuff I knew where it was. haha. The woes of getting organized after a long winter :) How long are goats pregnant? I'm new to them so I know next to nothing except from what I have already experienced with them (including 4 goats eating almost 50 pounds of sweet feed while I was gone!) THey are so sneaky! I did notice her teats have gotten larger, no udder but I have noticed a change. Not sure if that is just because she is finally growing or if that is because she is pregnant. She is a year old last weekend and was born 3 weeks early and has been pretty small ever since. My sister had her mom and it wasn't until her second year that she finally grew to normal nubian size. It's hard to say. If I don't tie her up when I go for walks I have to take her with me like a puppy. She walks on a leash and everything. Only in the country would you see someone pushing a double stroller with a goat on a leash!!! :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  10:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Angie after reading your post I started laughing out loud. I can relate to the rain and cleaning out stalls and getting sore. Thats the story of my life. We had some bad storms come in again around 6:00 in the evening and rained off and on all night. Then a small shower this morning. Now its partly sunny and not suppose to rain for many days....woohoo!!!

Krystle they are pregnant between 145 to 150 days. Sometimes they can go a little over. Usually they go right around the 150.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Those babies are soooo sweet. Glad all is well with everyone. We had a couple of soaking rains yesterday, thank the Lord! Hope you get the blood thing figured out. Is it possible the blood is coming from the outside of the teet? Just a thought...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  6:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all. Well, the rain we got sure did some good for the garden. I was out earlier and saw some pole beans coming up!!!! And the cucumbers too. The tomatoes look great. But next week it gonna be hot.

I think it was yesterday when I was milking Sandy that the left teat acted like it was plugged. It took awhile for the milk to come out but it finally did and it flowed good. She is such an easy milker. And this evening when I brought them in to feed it looked like the kids had nursed both sides. So that's better. And I just checked the 2 milk jugs that I milked this morning. There is no blood at the bottom of either jugs and they both taste good. So I guess it is the kids. I am going to be putting them up every night from now on to give her a break.

Oh, tonight while I had them on the stanchions, the ram lamb was in there with me. I snuck him onto Sandy's teat! He nursed her. And she let him. So I am thinking maybe in the morning I might get him and let him nurse on one side while I milk the other. He is growing so fast.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  6:14:49 PM  Show Profile
oh kris that is so sweet

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  8:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Now that is a resourceful farmgirl! I'm glad the milk cleared up too.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  06:07:49 AM  Show Profile
He got to nurse a little this morning from Sandy. She's such a good goat. Never even kicked. And he got to go up front with them this morning too. But I cannot leave him alone with them. They all seem ok until he stands up. Poor little guy.

Sandy's udder is looking much better too. I didn't milk them but will have to Sunday morning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  07:21:28 AM  Show Profile
i think that is the cutest ever. pics please

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals....what do you do with your cows to get them to come in everynight? About 2 1/2 weeks ago before Maizy calved she stopped coming in at night and then Frappe who I am milking also followed suit...its like pulling teeth to get them to come get milked! Also What do you do the week that your dairy cows calve? Its been a hard process handmilking Maizy her bag is so huge and she gets super annoyed...so far no infection and I have been able to milk some. The swelling is going down which is making it a little easier. She had her calf the 24th...name is Brisket..its a little heifer!

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page