Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  08:26:42 AM  Show Profile
So cute...
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  10:40:13 AM  Show Profile
She looks brand new in that picture. New life is so sweet. Happy birthday Brisket!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  2:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Leanne, she looks just like Chuck. I don't know about cows but with my goats I have to start milking them right away they are so huge and the kids can't possible drink it all. Have you been to the KFC forum? They are great over there and know so much about family cows.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  4:03:57 PM  Show Profile
hi leanne, i just had to bring hazel in early. i am sick today. so i am doing my milking and chores in bits and pieces. so for me honestly, i have a chin chain. if she will not come she gets 3 strong jerks on the chain. she usually steps up. i had trouble at first even with belle. they did not want to walk in the warm sun to come in. they love their pasture dont they. so my neighbor who has milked and handled 100s of calves, she came to help me. it took her about 5 minutes to get her attention. she helped me to find my alpha cow in me. i now have to be firm but loving. i had to correct hazel tonight 2 times coming home. i dont use food since thats a hastle to do each time. i do have them trained to lead off car, golf cart, or tractor. so i can have leverage that way to. if i am in the car i wrap the rope around my steering column. then if she argues i just hold the rope and demand she go. i have found my 2 cows have no problem leading off the rigs. i just watched temple grandin. i am getting the book for sure. i love cows. i learned new things from her. your baby is sooooo cute. i just love the babies. hows sandy tonight kris. is abbeys milk better now. i think the little lamb nursing on her is so cute. i want a pic please if you can. i have maddie in a coral with her baby. i am feeding her alfalfa pellet out of my hand. its the start to taming her. you do need to keep the milk going in those teats. i would say warm packs and mint rub for her. i used hobbles. kept her from kicking. it just hurts them so much. are you giving her molasses. she really needs the sugar i think. i am always concerned about protein and carb balance after calving. if i can help you i would feel honored. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  10:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Sherry- I was wondering if anyone here had read about Temple Grandin. Fascinating isn't she? She made me look at all large animals with new eyes. Growing up with horses I always knew their body language was telling me how to get along with each horse but the way she explained it was just awesome. Enjoy the book. It was a good read.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4261 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4261 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  06:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Cute cute pictures, goats and cows.
Leanne, I feed grain to my cow. She comes in by herself, or when I call her. I also keep on a schedule. She knows when it is time for feed. It works for me anyways. It is harder milking with swelling. If you have the calf on her, I would not worry too much about getting her milked out all the way. The calf will finish up. they say feeding raspberry leaves helps to relieve swelling. Before my cow calves, I do feed some grain, and get her used to coming in when it would be milking time. With heifers you want to have them used to be touched, all over. Rub their bags, belly. good luck

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  07:19:39 AM  Show Profile
thanks connie, i am hoping to learn from it more how they think. i sat on hazel last night. she was lying in pasture cudding. i rubbed and loved on her. while she was resting i sat on her and hugged her. she liked it. i think she is sweetening up. we have have had rain for 3 days. i hope its over. i am with you all. its the stalls and barn poop. i am going to go look at a milking system today. another belly milker. it has 2 belly cans and pump and motor. it will be back up or we will re fix it and sell it. my new one is having issues. i think it must be me. i have to wait and call hamby on tues. i am having a loy of air out the relief pipe on pump. no suction. so something is closed or open??? then the lid for the can will not snug in. so i am a little challenged. it would be fun to have it work since it is brand new shiney and not working. maddie and i spoke yesterday. i was telling her all about her new life. she ate molasses and pellets out of my hand. i was able to rub her head and eyes. little steps for us. i think all my training pens will be round. i think i understood that from Temple. i am going to get the book for sure. my favorite part of animals is training them to think and understand what i am asking from them. i have hazel just about to learn to get her own bowl like belle. i hope you are all well and the sun is on your back. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  07:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever had a milk cow and NOT fed her grain while milking? I am thinking of getting a Jersey heifer and just want to grass and hay feed her. I know I'll probably not get as much milk form her but that's ok. I just don't want to have to feed her grain. I would think that if she never had grain she would already be used to just eating grass and hay.

Also, when looking for a milking machine, what all do I need to know first? I just looked on ebay and there are lots of machines there. One I would really love to have is a 2 goat milker for over $600. But how do I know what all comes with it? I don't want to bid on a machine and it only be for part of it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  09:18:46 AM  Show Profile
I would love to hug a cow! So big and warm. I wish I had enough land for a milk cow.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  12:45:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Kris and Sherry! Connie- that was when she was just born! I woke up and looked out the window and went running, I saw something hanging and went for the camera!

I do feed Maizy grain to get her to come because she turns her nose up to the hay with 10 acres of green grass to eat! What I have been doing is walking the calf into the stanchion and she usually follows suit. Frappe got a little bit better today about just running in as soon as she heard me in the barn, the others then followed. I have been making sure to milk out as much as I can and so far its been doing the job. The back left teat is the worst right now, still swollen but at least is beginning to give some milk. My biggest problem with Maizy is that she won't let me finish. So I am only able to milk out about a gallon completely and then she starts kicking me. I'm figuring its because she just had the calf several days ago and when I pull the calf away from her for a 12 hrs out of the day I think she'll be better about me milking her. I also think shes just not letting the hormones go that allow the milk let down...shes a work in progress but we are doing 100% better than I did last year so I can be thankful for that!:)

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  8:58:11 PM  Show Profile
kris i would be honored to help you with machine ideas. i never feed grain. hazel was ud=sed to grain when she came. now she loves her alfalfa pellet in milking room. this way you still have grass fed. she and belle do fine. after their snack they stand to finish milking with a empty bowl. hazel gives almost 5 gallons a day 5 months into her lactation on only hay and alfalfa. so it is done. i agree about hormones and sore teats too. i hate o say it but it took a good 3 or 4 weeks for it all to be perfect. then belle stood without lifting her leg. i know it must hurt. they are so swollen. well got to go to sleep now. happy days to all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  07:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Good morning chicks...Happy Memorial Day! Rockstar had twins about 2 hours ago!!! Doeling, white with blue eyes. Buckling, brownish-gray with a black stripe down his back, and blue eyes! So exciting! Have a safe and fun day.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  07:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Kim, congrats on the new kids! I bet they are adorable. Mine are growing like weeds. Way too fast for me.

Sherrye, I know it can be done without grain. It just seems like when I go to KFC someone's cow had edema or mastitis. So I don't even want to go there. I figured if I could find a Jersey heifer calf just weaned I could go from there.

Me and hubby went out this morning to work on the wooden fence that's rotten in a few places. We were both drenched in sweat in just a few minutes. We lasted about 45 minutes then had to come in. Why is everything we do right out in the hot sun? Nothing we have to do is ever under a nice shade tree. Wonder why? So we will go back out later this afternoon and try to finish. I want to put Mazie and Chuck out there to eat down that tall fescue.

We had to have a calf round up yesterday. Chuck got out into the hay pasture. He was out there several hours. They were both mooing like crazy and I couldn't stand it anymore. So I got all the grandkids, my Dd and hubby. We tried to run him back around the shed to the gate but he would not do it. And of course Mazie was right there. So I had to remove part of the cattle panel over the barbed wire and Chloe and Heather ran him over there and he jumped back through. Went straight to him momma. He was hungry.

I hope all the milking cows are being good and giving lots of milk.

Happy Memorial day, y'all!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 30 2011 07:50:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  8:15:51 PM  Show Profile
It's so hot here poor Mazie is standing in her water trough. Poor girl. I wondered why her water was so dirty. I sure wish we had a pond. All the cows are in the ponds around here. It got to 95 today. We went back out about 6 and got the rest of the fence fixed. We just need to put the wire fence back up so goats won't get out. Then we can put the cows over there. It sure is nice to come in and take a cool shower and get all clean for awhile. Makes me just want to stay inside.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  01:54:41 AM  Show Profile
It is so hot here still! My poor hubby was working most of yesterday at the five acres. He was there all alone. He is trying to string up the tension wire for the cows and horses. It is not going well by himself. I had to get groceries. I hated doing it too, it was a major tourist thing in Shipshewana; which is where I go to get most of my groceries. The traffic was horrible and I hate all that noise and running around. But now I got it done and we are good for food for a couple more weeks.
It was 92 here yesterday, it is still in the mid 70s this morning. We do not have a/c so this heat is a killer. I need to go get a couple new fans. Most of ours have died, some of our fans are over 10 years old. And we use them behind wood stoves and that always wears them out.
We will be moving the horses and cows onto the property soon, I was wondering; how would you guys introduce them to all that tall grass? There is a section of it we have really tore up, so the grass is lower and not as thick. I was thinking we could run some push in polls, and some electric down it. Keeping them in here a lot of the time, then allowing for them to be out for an hour at a time, then slowly more and more. I alos thought we would keep a round bale of hay in this area for the first week or so.I was wondering what your thoughts are. I do not want any bloating. It truly is a worry.
Well stay dry and cool.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  06:26:29 AM  Show Profile
That darn calf! He was out again this morning. I went around to the big gate and called Mazie. She came running over and so did the calf. I got him in. Then I went to look for the place he's been getting out of. I think he's been squeezing through the old barn door then going out through a big hole in the wall, then out to the field. If he turned left, he'd go out to the road. The guy who owns all that leaves the gate open for the hay guys. But he turns right and goes out back. Mazie stands out under the cedar tree and cries for him to come back in. He doesn't. Silly cows. I hope we can get the other pasture fence fixed this evening so we can get them over there. I have to go get weed eater string so hubby can weed eat around the fence line so Mazie won't want what's on the other side of the fence. Which is why we are having to fix the fence now. Because everything's greener and better over there, right?

And it's gonna be 97 today. Yep, that's all. Almost 200 degrees. And the sun won't go behind the trees til about 7.

Angie, sounds like y'all are busy farm working up there too. We have only had AC for about 4 years now here. I could not live without it right now. I did just turn it on a few weeks ago though. I didn't think about bloating. Mazie is on pasture right now but it's not good like the other pasture we are going to put her on. The fescue is very tall there. Maybe we should let her go out there a little then put a gate up. I don't know. I need to ask my cattle friends first, I guess. But there is a bunch of cows up the road that are rotated into 4 different pastures. The grass is really tall by the time they get to each one.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Good luck with moving your critters Angie! I know it's always a concern when introducing them to lusher pasture.

Yesterday was the first day of keeping the baby goat boys off Madeline. They cried and cried! Luckily they are down in the back of the property where we can't hear them! LOL!! When I milked Madeline this morning I got a gallon plus two more cups and there was still milk left!! She had had enough grain and alfalfa pellets so I just quit. They sure are hard to milk when they are that full!

You all keep cool! We are going to be in the mid 90s here today but you know what they say about Arizona...it's a dry heat! ;-)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on May 31 2011 06:41:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  07:28:37 AM  Show Profile
wow everyone is so busy. its springing into summer for sure. i hope it goes good for you moving cows. i too am areful to adjust the cows to new grass. i am not looking forward to the heat. we are still cool here. oh candy the crying is hard for me. i need to wean bettys kids soon. they are getting too rough on her. it will be a sad day. KRIS i dont think the feed has any effect on mastitus. i think that is more a milking thing. i could easily be wrong though. i have always fed grass only. i had some milk fever with belle hen she calved. i think that is just a mature cow risk. that little calf of your is sure busy. i hate chasing cows. hopefully he will stay in when you get your fence done. they get soooo curious. i think i have marilyn sold after she kids. i am keeping 4 does out of my herd. one buckling to use yo breed back all but his mom. i am excited to get temple grandins book on moving large livestock. i will learn new stuff. the mother earth news has a good article on grass fed bovine. hope you all have a fine day. hope ya stay cool. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  07:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Kris I do not have or ever had milk cows but in my travels to Iceland they have whole dairy farms with no grain feed cows. In many other countries they are totally grass feed milking animals and do exceptional well. I have several friends who have my milking stock for years now and they are 100% hay and herbs with great production and sound animals. Remember we have a large industry who promote grains because that is where the money is... Good luck.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  08:07:13 AM  Show Profile
We almost have the fence up for the pasture which is good as girls are getting anxious and would like to just go through the fence. Just need to get the lane done from the barn yard to pasture, it is cut just need fence and then electric. Hoping to get them out there tomorrow.

Been kind of sad, missing my sheep a lot but trying to focus on what we need to do right now to get this farm going. Been pretty cool here so will take some of the heat for a while
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:06:32 PM  Show Profile
oh rae, i hope you will post pics so we can see. it is a lot of work but so rewarding too. i am sorry you miss your sheep. i know even these kids are going to be missed. when do you girls wean. bettys are 3 1/2 months. they are getting rough. as was said by one of you girls the screaming is awful. well i have had a day. so off to bed for me. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I know it can be done, just won't get alot of milk. I was talking to my friend who has 2 Jerseys. She is paying $12 per 50 pounds for grain and each cow eats 150 pounds per week. Plus she buys 250 bales of hay each year because she doesn't have very much pasture so she feeds hay all year. She sells her milk for $6 a gallon plus she makes cheese, yogurt, butter, cottage cheese to sell too. She does pretty good but just about breaks even. I don't know, but that sounds like a lot of work and money she's spending on those cows. But she gets beef for the freezer from the calves. She got a heifer last year she will keep for another milker. I just want one and if I get a gallon a day that's plenty.

Rae, you sold your sheep? What happened? And what do you have now? I am lost here.

We are almost ready to move Mazie and Chuck to their new pasture. Not looking forward to getting them over there. There are 3 apple trees right in the way that might make Mazie stop for awhile. So wish us luck!

Sherrye, Sandys's kids are 6 weeks and Abby's are 7 weeks tomorrow. So I will start weaning them in a few weeks. I wish I could get a calf now so I could use all this milk I will be getting soon. The lamb is drinking more every day. I think he's drinking over half a gallon already. He's a little pig. He nursed Sandy again tonight. I got a picture so when Abby, my Dd comes out tomorrow, I'll get her to post them. Also got a little video.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  05:20:11 AM  Show Profile
I have to laugh... reading all of your posts you are all as busy as we are. My hubby was complaining he has a sore back and says it is due to all the fence pulling. I told him " oh buck up, we don't work as hard as some". Now thinking back on this conversation and reading all these posts, I wonder do we all work this hard or is the work we do the same; we are just older?!
LOL LOL
No matter, we have things to do and if we have these animals we must do the best we can for them.

Kris- those crazy cows! Why is it that the grass is greener on the other side?

I wonder if we mow most of the grass on the new lot, would that help too? I so will worry about all of this.

Well morning chores are done and I need to keep moving or I will go to sleep. I didnt sleep well last night. Just one of those days, I mean nights!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I guess we all do sort of the same things. My hubby works for about 15 minutes then has to take an hour break to rest. I am the type that wants to get it all done at once. My friend's husband is like that too so I like it when he comes to help. We don't even stop to eat. Just get'er done!

And the other day on the news they were talking about how the grass IS greener on the other side. If you were a cow and you were looking down at the grass, you'd see through it to the dirt. BUT if you were looking at it from a ways off, it looks thicker and lusher. So there ya go. Never have thought about it that way but it makes sense.

Another really hot day here. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile
We sold the sheep as we got 6 heifers. Due to $$ we had to make a choice and just not enough room for both come winter and not enough money right now to add on large enough housing etc. The sheep had become pets so would never be in my freezer and that isn't good if we want to be able to profit off the farm. It was very hard as I really miss them, they were so good for us but tough choices have to be made I guess Any how we have the girls now and will breed this summer and hopefully come close to doubling our herd and go on from there. The farm is our retirement so need to get it moving.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page