Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  04:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye- I hope the talk helps. I tsounds as though she thought that milking would be fun and fast. It is not. Owning an animal is a chore. You must always work for them. I will be praying for a good outcome.

I hope maddie calves soon.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4261 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4261 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  09:12:00 AM  Show Profile
MOrning Ladies,

Good luck Sherrye with the talk and with training Maddie.
I wanted to say that finally after milking about 7 weeks, Connie is fianlly be a good girl. I have had 3 good milkings now. I do still put the strap around her, but just snug, like you would wear a belt. I never thought this day would come. It is so nice. She might make a good milk cow after all.
we have a nice week of weather. Was able to get a field planted with oats, and seeded down. Got the rocks picked too. Onto fence fixing, so we can get the beef up to pasture. One of these days I hope to get the gardens tilled and planted. Got 3 piggies last night. They are so cute, Larry, Daryl, Daryl. If you ever saw the old Bob Newhart show, they were some actors.
Happy Milking

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  7:58:53 PM  Show Profile
oh michele, i want pics of your cow and piggies. please... how fun. we had a day. sunshine blue sky warm. wonderful birds are still singing and it echoes in the breeze. i got a little fired up with my talk with darcy. i hope it is worked out. i am gone in am and she is milking her cow. i am going to do belle early. so our piggies are blue butts. 2 girls 2 boys. i am so excited a friend called and offered his sow and boar for free plus 10 hog panels and a produce route for free waste produce. oh happy days girls. we are building the pen soon. i am also possibly buying nanna the old cow she is 10 with 3 strong teats and is A-2. depends of course on money. i sure respect all you gals out there doing this. kris butchering her chickens, michele your place is so big. so much to do. angie and candy and alee and all these amazing woman. whew i am honored to be here with you. so its a 4 hour trip over the mountain to look at this cow. i may go sunday. will keep you posted on my new adventure. happy trails sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  8:06:30 PM  Show Profile
Yay Michele!! Persistance paid off didn't it? Good for you and for Connie. They do get into a routine and settle down sooner or later. I am so happy for you. How's the milk? Are you making any cheese and butter yet? My friend has been making the best French vanilla. I get some every few weeks. Better than Stoneyfield.

Ok, the people over the ridge that have goats are having lots of little doelings. They have 5 does and they have had all does except 2 bucks. And one of them dies at birth. So anyway, when I was over there a few weeks ago drooling over all those pretty little doelings, I fell in love with a cute little tannish one with little elf ears. She's a twin and her mother is naturally polled. I felt her head and didn't feel any horn buds. Her sister had some. SO at less than a week old she should have had something like her sister but didn't. SO I hope she is not going to have horns. Another friend is going over there tomorrow to disbud the little doeling she is getting so I will go too just to make sure. So I am getting a little doeling friend for my little Zarah Belle. She's only about 3 weeks old now so it will be awhile. But I am so excited to be getting a new doe. She's part Nubian and Lamancha and so pretty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  8:30:59 PM  Show Profile
oh kris that is so great. it is so fun isnt it. 2 new baby girls for you and warm ga. weather too. hows the garden and those hens a sitting? i agree i meant to say how great it is your milking is going so good michele. it is a fine thing when it comes together. can you post pics of your critters. i love the pics. a friend gave us a camera i now need to learn to use it. well happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4261 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4261 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  04:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. I will get the camera going here. Been making cheese and some butter all along. Not much butter, as she still have her calf nursing. We have 80 acres, and we use my dads 100 acres. Pasture the beef by him all summer. It is just over a mile up the road.
Kris good luck with the new little girl!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  9:11:33 PM  Show Profile
i am just the opposite michele. i make butter 3 times a week. i have not done cheese for tooooo long. i was wondering if i could ask you farmgirls opinion on a cow i am looking at??? some of you know way more than i could ever know.i respect your opinions. so if you want to take a look at some pics of a cow i am thinking of buying i could forward them in am email to you privately. that way i am not taking space and time on here for those who may not be interested in looking at her bag etc. i know some of you are in the trenches every day and some not so much. all opinions would be appreciated. her name is nanna. she is 10 yrs. old. open and cycling regular. she looks really thin to us. it was a long hard wet winter in the rain forest here for her. she is giving 4 to 5 gallons a day. she is A-2 A-2. the price is 1000.00 and one adult goat. so any questions or want pics to help me decide. i have till sunday night. i would go check her out monday. it is a 4 hour trip one way. what do you think farmgirls is it a no or happy trails monday.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4261 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4261 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  04:47:21 AM  Show Profile
Send the pictures sherrye. That seems like a high price for a 10 year old cow?? Though I don't know anything about the A-2 stuff. Just what I have read from here. I know different areas of the country have different prices. Do you know how long she has been fresh?

Trying to geta nice pig picture is hard! Larry is the black one, and the Daryl's look alike!http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/Snitz/Images/mr08_004.jpg" border="0">
This is Connie before she freshened. I see it is time for a new picture of her.

happy milking
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  05:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I would NOT get a 10 year old milk cow for $1000. But it's your descision and you know what ya want. There has to be a younger cow for that price somewhere. That seems to be what younger cows go for here. Just keep looking. And also it sounds like you would have to put alot of work into her too. You just need a fresh new young cow that's healthy and you won't have to nurse it back to health like you have been doing. You have too much on you anyway, lady. Get yourself a young cow that's healthy and ready to milk and get on with it. So that's my opinion.

So I went yesterday to see my new little doeling. Jane asked me if I would like to trade soap and cheese making lessons for the doeling. I said yes! Isn't that cool? I am so glad. I was wondering where the money would come from to buy her. And she's so pretty. A light caramel color with little frosty elf ears. She's just 3 weeks so it will be a few more months before I get her.

And I took the little ram lamb to the market yesterday. he had a ball there. And all the little kids got to pet him. It's amazing thought that alot of people thought he was a goat. He's just 9 days old so I guess he looks a little like a goat. He will be going up the road to children's camp in a few weeks. He will get all kinds of lovin' there. He will be a busy little lamb.

Michele, the pigs are so cute and I love the names. I am almost wanting another pig already. Darn. With all these scraps and milk. IF I got any more it will just be for us and only one at a time.

Y'all have a great day. I hope it's nice and dry where you are. It's supposed to be almost 90 here. I might need to turn the AC on. Maybe. We will not be here most of the day so I might wait til we get home. It's not been too awful bad lately.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  07:14:35 AM  Show Profile
your pigs are so cute. i just love pigs. we are getting ready for a sow and boer a friend gave us. yipee kris A-2 cows are way more expensive. so just not sure yet. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  9:16:43 PM  Show Profile
well kris and michele, i did decide to pass on her. if she was free i would take her. they are having money challenges so she may give her to me. she probably would fit in here. michele emailed me and looked at my pics. thanks michele. i listened to what she and kris said. if she were free i could make adaptions. so we will see. boy i have to say my belle is so wonderful. never a challenge. calm sweet and gives as much as hazel in am. hazel has 4 teats and belle 2. i am only milking belle OAD now. i want to dry her off for her calf. i am selling all my milk from both girls. its legal here to sell milk from 2 fresh cows. it is illegal to advertise. so i just got a new gal who wants 4 gallons a week and 4 dozen eggs. so business is growing. i think of these girls on here with land WOW. i love land. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  05:03:42 AM  Show Profile
I kept some of Sandy's milk in a pint glass jar and just looked at it. As I thought, there was a little red at the bottom of the jar. And that was from 2 days ago. I will keep some more to see what it looks like in a few days. I don't know what's wrong with her. Her milk is so good. I can't sell it though, like this. And Abby's is still horrible. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  06:51:50 AM  Show Profile
i have no ideas for you right now kris. i am so sorry this is happening. i am going to see jake (vet) this week. i will ask him. he is a dairy vet. he may know. maybe you will end up having to give her oral antibiotics. what about asking fiasco farm. they might know what to do. how long since she kedded? i forgot. maybe its just not cleared yet. it would be worrisome for me too. i will ask for you. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  10:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,
Sounds like Sandy's babies are being too rambunctious when they nurse. That is the only time I have ever noticed a tinge of blood in my goat milk. As to Abby's not good milk, what is she eating or could she have some kind of a chronic mastitis infection? When it is chronic, it is not as obvious as when it is an acute case. Hope you get it sorted out! HUGS!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  06:25:22 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, we have a new calf. maddie had a heifer calf last eve at around 6. she is white as snow abd good size too. no problems and mom is doing good. so we will move her and baby ina day or so. we will bring them into a corral no kids yet from marilyn. hard to think she is still pregnant. she is huge. hope all the babies are doing good. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  07:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Well, yippee, Sherrye! A heifer calf! That's great. I know you are happy about that.

My little ram lamb is getting all the goat milk right now. And he is drinking more every day. He is growing fast. He is still by himself because he's too small to be with the goat kids. They are picking on him. And he's limping on his front left leg. Still don't know why unless Abby head butted him while I wasn't looking. I am looking for another little bottle lamb. I put an ad on Craig's list. I hope to find another lamb for Buddy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  2:48:13 PM  Show Profile
well you are right kris, i am so happy. we just caught her up. we brought her and baby into a corral area. so i can start taming maddie down to milk. so happy days here. i bet that little lamb is adorable. he probably did get a head butt. like we say its always something. hows the garden doing? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello all...I. have been a farmgirl for several months and just today I came across this forum. I love all the stories and info, although I have only read the last 5 pages. I bought 7 dwarf nigerians a couple of months ago and I'm in love with them. 1 buck, 1 wethered, 1 buckling, and 4 does. April 30 th, I was blessed with a set of twins and a set of triplets. Unfortunatly, the next day I found the only doeling eaten in half by neighbors dogs. I checked the fence and made sure there were no places to get under. The next morning, the 4 babies were still ok, that afternoon, one was missing. No signs of anything. Same thing the next day. I thought it might be a hawk or buzzard. Any ideas? The two bucklings are doing great, I'm still so upset about the other ones though.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  8:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim. I am so sorry. That's horrible. It could be anything. Are the does ok? Do they act like they've been traumatized at all? I can't even imagine what they all went through. Is there a barn you can put them in at night for protection? I only have 3 strands of electric fence in the back where my goats are. And a small barn. I am surrounded by hay fields and mountains here. I have heard coyotes running out back but only for a few minutes. I have never lost anything to them. But over the ridge there used to be lots of sheep and they were all killed by coyotes. You might look into some kind of gaurdian animal. Donkeys or a big dog. I sure hope you find out what's doing this. I just re read your post and see that a neighbor's dog killed the first kid. Have you told the neighbors yet? That's so sad to read about this. I sure do hope you can get the fence fixed so nothing can get in again.

Sherrye, I'm so glad you brought the cow and calf in. It will be so much easier on you that way. And good luck with the training. I hope you get lots of milk. My garden is slow! I am seeing more corn and beans coming up. And I planted some cucmber seeds in between the corn rows and they are coming up! I finished tying up the tomato plants today. They were starting to fall over already. Some have tomatoes!

I am going to try putting the does up front in the morning and leave the kids out back so I can get some milk tomorrow night. I need more for the lamb. He's a little milk pig.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  8:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, yes my neighbor knows. The fence does not have any places that has been dug under. The does are ok, but sure cried for a couple of days looking for the kids. I thought flying varmit, since no signs of blood or fur. The 2 kids that survived are doing great.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  8:40:36 PM  Show Profile
It would have to be something pretty big to carry off a kid. So I don't know what it would be. Are you milking the does yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:21:36 AM  Show Profile
the kids were pretty small, one being from a set of twins, and the other two were from triplets. I had foot surgery almost a month ago, so I have strict orders to stay off it. But my sister and a friend have been milking and the girls are doing pretty good being milked. I am soooooo jealous, can't wait to milk!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  11:35:18 AM  Show Profile
so is it at all possible some one stole them. i ask because it happened here last year. we have no idea who but we know they did. they were taken in the night. so maybe a human thief. so sorry for your loss of babies. i would be so torn up. i know you cried. poor girl. it is truly an unfair thing. i thing some one has a goat herd. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  3:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I had the same thought. It is pretty dark where the barn is and I don't have a lock on it. Yep... I was really torn up. I keep a watch on them now,like a hawk! Have a great evening.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile
These are Sandy's buck kids today.

These are Abby's kids. Zarah has a #3 on her side. I hope it shows up.

This is the little ram lamb. He will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 25 2011 7:39:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page