Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all. It's going to be really hot here for a few days. Like low 90's. Ugh.

So I have been putting Abby and Sandy's kids up at night and milking in the mornings. So far so good. Sandy's milk is wonderful. But Abby's still has a grassy taste. It's not bad, just has a taste to it still. Any suggestions? I want to start selling it but don't want people to think it's nasty. It will get better but it's almost been 4 weeks ago she kidded.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  07:08:49 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning girls. we are going to have a warm day here too. i am so ready. so i have help coming today to start plants. i am very behind. i am getting tired of 2 times a day milking. what a lot of milk. so darcy my friend is doing good. so with help i can keep on. i am happy your getting some good milk kris. are you keeping any of your kids. i am only keeping bettys doe. all others go sold or in freezer. so how young are kids when you wean them? i want them to have a good start. i am not milking the goats. i am swimming in milk right now. the boer kids are huge. well they are all eating alfalfa. belle still does not tolerate grass hay without hacking up cud chunks. so i know its not good for boy kidneys, but they will be eaten soon anyway. wow are they big babies. huge size. she is still doing a good job supplying milk too. thanks girls i hope you all have the sun on your back and a smile in your heart. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye. If you aren't going to be milking the goats then you could just keep the kids on as long as the doe wants them. She will eventually kick them off herself. I will wean mine at about 8-12 weeks. Depending on size or if I can sell them. I will sell the bucks and only keep the one love doeling. I did go to a friend's this morning to see all her goats and kids. She has 5 does. 3 have kidded so far. The oldest biggest Nubian had triplets and 2 died. The little buck looks just like the dad. He's the same buck I used. Her other 2 does have had twin doelings. She has 2 left to kid. So she has had 2 bucks and 5 does so far. I asked her if she would sell me a doeling. I have already picked one out. She's a cutie. And her mother is natuarrlu polled! The kid is a twin. Her sister has little horn buds but she does not. So hopefully she will not have horns. Wouldn't that be great? She said she's not going to disbud so I asked her if she will sell that kid to please let me know before it's too late so I can get her disbudded if I need to. She's a light tan color with little elf ears. Her mother has a nice udder but one teat is a double. SHould I be worried that this little doeling will too? I had a doe with huge udders that had a semi extra teat but it was not a problem. But this one is very visible. So any advice before I get her would be great.

Sherrye, I am far behind on my gardening too. I also bought some Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple, Roma and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes and some red bell peppers from my friend, all for just $10.00! That was 12 really good size tomato plants. I have a friend up the road that's going to come till me some rows with his tiller probably tomorrow so I can plant more beans, corn and okra. And til the rest of the tomato rows for these new ones. This no til is hard work. So I will just mulch really good. I hope you get all yours planted.

Y'all have a great day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Well good morning ladies. It is a really warm day today with high humidity. I got most of my garden done now. I have room to plant more beans and peas later and room for my sweet potatoes. I am also hoping to get my hubby to till a large area at the 5 acre property, for more corn, pumpkins,sguash and watermelon. My garden here is somewhat small, so this would help for winter stored food.

Sherrye- I wean my at 8 weeks. Except my little doeling. She is still getting once a day bottles. I hear you on thr milk! I have so much!

Kris- I understand that if the doelin does not have a double teat now, she wont. But she may throw some that does later.

I still have several goats for sale. I am hoping to get my hubs to help me mkae a farm sign soon.

Wells lots to do.

Good day!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  07:16:00 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, has it cooled off for you all. we are cooler today. marilyn still has had no babies. i am sick of waiting. she is huge. i am not milking the goats. i even put belle to once a day. she is in her 10th month of lactation. so time to get her ready to have her calf. i am still hesitant to try to train maddie. she is a crazy pasture cow. i want A-2 milk. so big decision. i think i will keep betty boops girl kid. she is so sweet. the boys are solid meat. nice looking and sweet to handle. hope your goats sell angie. i am selling some of mine when they are old enough. i have been doing rodeo round up with these 2 girls. last night they both got out together. i almost was stepped on i need a catch pen for them. all the goats were out. they all fled single file while i was getting cows. CRAZY.. i was so tired anywa i almost sat down and cried. LOL its not the animals its my system. we set up an alley run. i need a way to put them in with out the others running to get out. i could use a 100 portable panels for sure. we moved the calves to new grass last night. the big cows are yelling. they want it too. the pasture is too open and far from me. our white park dexter maddie is getting closer to calving. i sure am hoping for a girl. she is A-2 and so is the bull. i can see her from the house where she is. the chicken tractor in pasture is working. you should have been here. that fat pregnant cow and hippo and calves went crazy. they honked and mooed and jumped. what are you bringing into my home they said. silly cows ran circles around it kicking. the hen girls are so happy. if nothing kills these i will start moving the flock a few at a time. i am hoping to keep my production. we are at 5 dozen a day now. going to pick up pigs tonight. i bought 4. ANGIE and KRIS you are sure ahead of me in the garden. i just started my maters. i met a new gal who is coming today to help plant. it will happen faster with 4 hands. hope you all have a fine farm day. so candy must be working hard. we miss ya canhappy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  06:47:45 AM  Show Profile
When I strained Sandy's milk this morning, I noticed little red specks in the strainer. So I strianed again and there was one little tiny red speck. I felt it and it's like a grain of sand but red. Her milk tastes alright. Does anyone know what that could be?

And Abby's milk still has a grassy after taste. Not really awful, but I can still taste something. Her kids are 4 1/2 weeks old. Sandy's will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

I also noticed a lumpy spot in between Sandy's udder at the bottom. Between the two teats. She has twin bucks and I know they are really hard on their mom. SO could this be caused by the bucks being so rough on her udder?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  07:24:55 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning kris, in my humble opinion yes. i have found that when they are older they sure hit hard. if she had a bruise in there it could have swollen and held up milk flow there. she could be congested right in there. i would add a minty or some sort of rub that would get that spot flowing. if its hard you may want to massage it gently to help move out stuff. it is always harder the first month of milking. then they all seem to settle. hazel is one challenge after another. i love her but glad i dont own her. the red rock could be a small blood spot like you said. you girls taught me if i am concerned to milk 3 times a day to get the spot flowing. i would think the kids do that for you through the day. i sure hope she gets better soon. she is a beautiful goat. i was trying to buy a A-2 cow. she wanted betty boop and her kids and freckles my calf dexter and hippo her mama. gads i said NO. i love my girls. so i am going to try bluing on the warts. i am going to send a coli-cleanse through her. the warts on freckles are GROSS. we have tried other things. so any ideas welcome. oh by the way, do you have any of the dr. naylor mastitus cards. they are cheap easy and fast. hope milking goes to happy days soon. give her a hug for me sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  7:45:58 PM  Show Profile
kris was wondering how sandy is doing?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  8:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. Sandy's fine. Still has a little lump but feels better. Her milk is good. I have not seen any more red spots in the milk. Thanks for asking. I am a little concerned about Abby's milk still having a bad taste. How's all yours? Is milking getting any easier for you?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  08:01:33 AM  Show Profile
I have a yearling nubian doe that I'm starting to have a problem with. We have two pastures that we rotate in the summer. We use only one in the winter. This winter she has been fine but the past few weeks she refuses to stay inside the fence where previously she was totally fine with last summer as a doeling. Now all she wants to do is follow be around the yard instead of eating. She won't stay in either pasture now and almost acts like a dog, waiting for me to come back out of the house when I go back in. I upped her grain by 2 cups because she has lost so much weight. She really doesn't look that great. I dewormed the goats and the horse this spring so she doesn't have worms but seriously, if I am outside (which is a lot this time of year) she refuses to eat. I did notice yesterday when we were gone to church that her tummy was full because she obviously ate all my landscaping, which I didn't like BUT at least she ate something while I was gone. I'm thinking I am going to sell her because I can't afford to have a goat that won't stay in the fence and wanders down to the road. Any tips on what is going on with her? Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  08:10:14 AM  Show Profile
she loves you so much she cant live with out you. gads those silly goats. what can i say. she must have goat buddies too. i have no advice for you. i am chasing goats here often. here if they see a gate opening they say hey wait for me. as far as landscape, kris and the girls warned me about landscape plants. honey suckle, rhodies, azaleas,wild cherry. fiasco farm has a list. keeo us posted, hope it gets better sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  08:16:18 AM  Show Profile
i meant to add i am still milking kris. no babies from marilynn yet. boy was i way off on her date. a whole 21 day cycle. maybe abbey has a low grade mastitus not showing up completely? i have no other ideas. glad sandy is better. have you read the blind filly post? how sad. milking is still way too hard. now hazel developed a limp. about every third trip to pasture she limps. so we had another vet visit. now once again i am stuck with 2 cows in the barn. lots of poop. so i hope we get it resolved soon. WAY more work and time and money when there is green grass instead of hay. ok enough crying for me. i still need to go milk. we are moving a greenhouse here today. it gets too much shade where it is. the trees grew. planting planting did i say we are planting. i think i read your about done getting yours in. all you girls are ahead of me. well happy days to all the farmgirls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  09:36:41 AM  Show Profile
Krystal, I have no idea why she would be doing this. Is she alone? Or maybe something had scared her, like a pack of dogs or coyotes? I hope you can get it figured out soon. That can be aggravating for sure. It seems the closer they are the more they want your attention. It's hard for me to go outside without all the animals running to see me or want my full attention.

Sherrye, I am so sorry you're having so much cow trouble. Sounds like you need to sell these guys and get a nice 2-3 year old cow from a dairy that's already been in milk for awhile. Have fun with the greenhouse. I would love to have another one.

It's freezing cold here. And wet. I am so thinking about turning the heat on. And I just got a little ram lamb that was born last Thurs that the mom rejected. So I have him in the milkroom under a heat lamp. I wanted to put him in with the goat kids at night but it's too cold right now. Towards the end of the week it's supposed to warm back up. But he's so lonely out there by himself. My dog Bubba loves him. I let him out of the box this morning while I was milking. Filled his bottle up and put it between my knees so he could drink and finished milking. That was fun. I have always had to do more than one thing at a time.

I hope it's warmer where y'all are.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  07:40:19 AM  Show Profile
It could be coyotes that scared her. She does have other animals to hang out with, like another goat, horse, dog. She even follows the chickens around the yard if I'm not outside. She ate my strawberry plants yesterday. I have a feeling that will affect my harvest :( I am thinking about putting her in a kennel with our dog since they seem to get along so well and move it around the yard as she eats the grass, then my yard is getting mowed, keeps her safe and out of trouble, and my lawn gets fertilized all at the same time. Oh frustration! Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile
I know what ya mean. Theysure can be frustrating. I used to let mine in the yard in the spring but now I have a foundation border with azaleas and daylillies and then my little herb gardens and flower pots. So no more for them in the yard. Unless I could tie them somehow and I don't like to do that. So no more goaties in the yard. Plus they head right straight for the 3 old apple trees too. Mine have about an acre out back plus the back yard looks like a hay field. I need to put Mazie and Chuck out there. And the front pasture needs bush hogged too. I need some sheep!

The little ram lamb is doing good. He follows me all over when I let him out after his bottle. He follows Bubba too. Yesterday I took him up front where the turkeys are while I fed them all. He chased all the turkeys all around the coops. It was so cute. I am so alllergic to baby animals. I didn't take my Allegra yesterday because i didn't think I was going outside much with the rain. But it hit me and my eyes have itched and I have sneezed. So first thing this morning I took my Allegra. I guess I'll have to take them every day no matter what.

Has anyone ever given their goats or cows fennel or beet greens? I bought some fennel at the farmer's market last week and thought they would like it. They both did. I thought it might make their milk taste different but ti didn't really. But will beet greens turn it red? And they love kale so that can be their greens since I don't really like it. And it's so good for them.

Hope all is well all over the country. It's been really cold here. Blackberry winter. I had the heat on last night. And long johns. I thought I had them put up til next winter. I thought wrong. It's great garden weather though. I staked all the tomato plants this morning. And watered the new seedlings.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Howdy everyone.
Well its still raining here and its cold. I can't believe it just keeps doing this.
I have no garden yet. It still has puddles in it and the weeds and grass have taken over. The tomato and sweet pepper plants in the greenhouse are doing fine though. Hopefully we are suppose to get a break friday and saturday. I don't know if this will give it enough time to dry out or not to work the garden but will get the grass mowed for sure. I am so frustrated all I can seem to do is try to mow the grass when there is a small break in the rain. Its so wet that it packs under the mower. Well enough whining and venting for now. I know I sound like a broken record.

I finally made a batch of chevre cheese and made a fudge marble cake with it. The recipe is from the book "Goats Produce Too". Its a chocolate cake with chevre swirled in.Its a super yummy cake. I made a butter creme/chevre icing for the top. I think I gained 5lbs eating it for 3 days in a row. I just love chevre cheese.

Sounds like everyone is busy gardening. I can't wait to start mine.I did put some 8 ball squash and patty pan squash in a pot earlier this year and started them in the greenhouse. They are suppose to look like little 8 ball zuchini and the patty pans remind me of little scallops. There are two little ones the size of half dollars on the 8 ball one. I can't wait to pick them and eat them. I really want to try carrots again. Years past they have not done so well. I thought I would try one more time. This time I am going to try using a carrot seed tape and see if that works better.

Take care everyone. Hope everyones animals stay healthy. Good luck with the little lamb Kris.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda, you need to come down South and live here awhile. And help me in my garden. I'd give you some to take home with you. Sounds like you need to go somewhere where it's really dry though. Like the desert. I can just imagine how depressing it is. I hope you have a good rain jacket. That's something I need again. I have no idea how it has ripped under both arms and the neck. So it's like I don't even have a rain jacket on because I am all wet. I don't mind the rain during the day but not the morning or evening during chores.

That cake sounds way too good. I have that book and will be looking that recipe up. I have some extra milk so might make some chevre Thursday. I have seen those little round zuc. They look really small. Are they good?

The girl that's supposed to be getting 2 gallons of milk a week called and said she can't get any this week. I knew that would happen. She has 2 small boys and it makes me nervous anyway for them to drink the milk. I would hate for them to get sick for some reason. So I think I will just tell her I'm not going to sell any milk right now. I hate to do that but I might have to. Plus with only Sandy's milk good right now, I have to give her 3 days worth of milk.

These kids are growing so fast. They are almost 5 weeks old already.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile
oh you are so right kris, these kids grow so fast. beeys bucks are huge. i just dreamed they all got out and left the farm. we still have rain on and off. i feel on and off today too.LOL feel like a good movie. maddie is getting closer to calving. i plan to train her to milk. yesterday she licked my hand and allowed me to touch her nose. she is so a pasture cow. i hope its a heifer. whatever it is will be good. i hope the milk gets better for you kris. i know how much you cook. you need your milk. so if i am anywhere close to marilyns due date it would be now. she is spending more time in her hut. i put belle on oad milking. i wish hazel was. hazel came in for milking with a lead and the golf cart. i was so happy to see she just took to it. it is a way too long a walk 3 times a day for me. she is better in the milk room as long as i hobble her now. it is time consuming but safer. we have 2 new customers for milk now. one yesterday and one last night. with the 4 pigs now there is no waste. the little runt pig is so cute. he jumps in the milk bowl so they cannot push him away. i love pig milk faces. they are hamp/york wieners.well gotta get to reading all the mjf news. i hope you all are dry and earm today. happy da ys sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:35:40 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are so busy!
The rain is falling here off and on as well. We had a lot fall on Saturday and Sunday.
I need to work in my garden weeding today. and we have some fence to fix. I have a whole corner that the horses pulled out! I can not wait to get the horses on the bigger property with more grass. They deserve it and we could use the space for letting more grass grow and for the goats to munch on.
My goats are all doing good. I love watching them. My neighbor was over lastnight telling me how she was talking, again about my goats and all the funny things they do. The other ladies at her work told her they never knew that goats were this much fun!

Sherrye- I am glad Hazel is gettin easier to milk. I really need to get hobbles for Twinkle. She does good and then she gets all stirred up.

Well I must get going. I have lots to do.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile
angie- i ordered different hobbles for her. the ones i had did not have an adjustable strap for between the legs, i have to get her legs together to get them on. in this case she is usually. with maddie who is due any minute different story i think. she is a pasture cow. she is dilated and puffy. i almost expect a calf this am when i go to pasture. after she settles down from calving we are bringing her into the barn with calf. new experiance for her. should i do it while she is still dazed from calving? should i wait till she has done the 3 or 4 days in field first. she does have attitude. i believe her attitude is in her horns. we are banding them after she calves. i keep telling myself slow easy steps with her. gaining her trust. she will lick my hand and eat from it in pasture. she is very verbal too. not sure i like that. LOL any advice appreciated farmgirls. so the hobbles i bought have a strap that tightens up between the two legs. i hope it makes them easier to put on. all help wanted on this venture. hazel is now doing great with me on the golf cart. no fear no rushing ahead of me. she is a sweet cow. how she loves being touched. a good quality to have in a milk cow. even if she is a pill sometimes. she was favoring her back leg last night again. we shall see this am coming in to milk. kris how is maizie doing and her calf. is abbeys milk any better for you? i read your butcher post. good job. i have 8 yet to do. time to order chicks for here. angie thanks for the help with the milker. it is working well now. trying to find a used system for in pasture. if you see any equipment out there i am looking. so off to see if marilyns a mom yet. happy sunny days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye- In my opinion I would either move her now to the barn or as soon as possible. I think if you let it go for 3-4 days she will be more protective and have a major attitude. Cattle always seem slow and sweet after birth. I wish you good luck.
I am hoping to find hobbles small enough for a nigerian. That is my only concern.
I hope all of you ladies have a great day!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile
well i feel a little challenged. we must remember hazel is not my cow. i am training her and helping this gal learn to milk and own a cow. i am bossy by nature so try to tone it down. so she is always in a hurry. has yet to scoop one poop. she did hose the milk room when i ask and said it needed to be done now. she is only half here and already gone when she gets here. so she and a gal who is helping me took cows to pasture. hazel does not like her owner. she was not cooperating. darci was trying to get the lead off. it was a problem for her so she slapped hazel in the face 2 times. hazel swung her head up and away. my helper had to remove the lead. i am wondering how to handle this correctly. i like darci but i need more help with her cow than just machine milking. she has yet to wash one piece of equipment. so as i say always in a rush to go. help girls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  4:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Wow Sherrye, sounds like someone who shouldn't really have animals! I have no patience for people who hit animals because they are in a hurry, gotta remember they are not machines! Sounds like a tough situation for you. Can you explain to her that she needs to help with caring for her cow, clean-up, etc. for the privilege of using your equipment? Maybe someone else will have some better advice.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I guess she gets some of the milk? Is she paying for the feed for her cow? I would make her buy the feed at least. You really need to have a talk with her now before it gets too out of hand and the cow is hurt. She could ruin all you have done so far. So talk to her. Milking cannot be done in a hurry. Cows don't like to be rushed. She needs to know this now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  8:00:23 PM  Show Profile
it is a tough deal. she is nice. she is just always in a hurry. she does not think that things need to be done the same each milking. she is hap haphazard so to speak. so in to barn different a different way each time. it confuses the cows. she pays for her feed/ but never does chores. she is always rushing. she actually said ok i am sick of this its boring. i want to go do something else. so not sure what to think. maddie calves soon. i will milk her. so she will need to milk her own cow. it is a lot of work. i thought she would help with poop etc. i know i am disappointed. i will be ok with it. the thing is i will not do her work. so i am going to talk to her tomorrow. hopefully with love i can get it worked out. hazel responds really well to hugs and love. she is still learning. she is only 4. such is life. i want to spend my energy now training maddie to milk. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page