Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  1:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Right now it takes me about 20 minutes to milk our Jersey, my husband gets it done in 10. We are averaging between 3 and 4 gallons a day. She only feeds on hay and grazing the grass in the field. During milking she gets alfalfa and a little sweet feed. I keep the milk in 2 quart jars and put them in a sink of cold water before I put them in the refrig.
We milk in the barn and is also used by our neighbors horses. We have cleaned out the barn but it is still old and with horses in there... Do you think the milk is aborbing the smells in the barn? I'm hoping the machine milker will help.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  1:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Aw, what cute goats, Angie. So all the first goats are the milking does? Twinkle does look a little rambunctious. I bet she is a handful. But she has a nice udder. And the buck is really hamdsome too. How many are you milking right now? And how much milk are you getting? I have got to get another doe. I saw a friend in the feed store that wanted to know if I was selling milk. She has a friend who has a baby mini donkey that needs milk. SO I will search for either a Nubian or a Lamancha.

Hi Christy. That is so exciting to get milk cows. I know with my goats it takes at least a month to get the milk tasting good and back to normal after they have freshioned. I am still not getting good milk and my does had kids a few weeks ago. I try it every day and there is still a twangy taste to it. So don't get discouraged. It will get better. Did you get the calf with her? If so and it's sharing the milk, that could have a difference in the taste too. Just a thought. And get that milk COLD FAST! Like put it in a bucket of ice water asap.

Sherrye, how are you? Hope you are better and not so sore. And that milking is getting easier for you.

Hello Kathryn. I have missed you here. Sounds like a mess in your family. I hope it all gets straightened out soon. And how is your doe today? I have had a time with my 2 goats. Goodness, I hate when they have problems. It should all just run smooth all the time, right? Let us know how you are. I'll be thinking of you in all this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  5:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Cute goat pitures!
Christy I used to cool my milk by putting it in jars, and putting cold water in my canner, putting in the jars, and putting 4 frozen plastic soda bottles in the water around the jars. Geez I hope I was not too confusing. Last year I got a resturant, freezer paddle. (can't think of the right name). So I keep my milk in my transfer pail, put in the paddle, and put the pail in the canner of cold water with the ice bottles in the water. Cools it pretty fast. No problems with an off taste.
Kris good luck with finding another goat. Do goats give much milk? I have never milked one. I have thought about getting one to milk when my cow is dry. I did taste goat milk, and thought it tasted like cow milk.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  6:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Kris-Yeah ,the does I showed pics of before, like several months ago. Anyway, The first four pics are of my new girls. They are all around 1 and are doing great. My milking does are doing good, I am getting a gallon a day. I would get more but Twinkle has been feeding her boys while in the stanchion. But tonight I milked her, I am weaning the kids. She did awesome. Not a lot of milk, but we will get there. She was very good. I did two things. Cleaned and trimmed her hooves and have been treating her teats for chaffing. I do not know which ha shelped, but I hope she continues to improve.

I hope everyone has had a good night. Stay warm, we are gonna be cold. I had to cover all my plants in my garden.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  8:48:46 PM  Show Profile
We had another onslaught of rain. I can't believe it just keeps coming. I had another late night at the barn. The rain finally stopped and went out and cleaned out the soaking wet barn and the kid barn. The water was standing in it again. Thank goodness half of the barn is raised stalls so they don't have to stand in the water. They are about between 1 and 2 foot off the ground. The kid barn has skids in it with plywood on top so the water will run around them. But all the other parts get soaking wet and need to be cleaned. I put down lots of dry straw when I was done feeding so everyone should be dry and comfortable for tonight.
Its not suppose to rain tomorrow but we are going down very cold tonight and tomorrow.Grabbed up all the plants that I had outside the past week and put them in the greenhouse with the heater on low. Most of the plants are rosemary.... they are huge bushes. They are like my babies and can't take a freeze.
This is suppose to be spring....right???

Sounds like eveyone is working on the milking. I have a doe that has been really good about milking but this year she runs everytime its her turn. I think its because she only had one baby this year and she is so worried about it all the time. She is so silly about her baby so I bring her in with her which is getting harder to do because she is getting to heavy to carry.

The coyotes are howling as I type and the Pyrenese are going crazy barking. I am so glad I have them to guard all my babies. I can hear them howling and yipping through the baby monitor I have at the barn. Its kinda erie but kinda neat. We have alot of wildlife around us because its so hilly and woody and not many people living in this area....its pretty isolated. I have a small fire burning in the stove to keep the chill out of the house this evening.Took awhile go get it going because all the wood was soaked. Glad I had some saved up candle wax to help get it going.Hopefully my jacket, barn shoes, and pants will be dry for chores tomorrow.

What cute pictures of the goats. They have such cute udders.Can't wait to see the rest.

Well I'm off to bed and can't wait to rest my tired body. Looking forward to no rain tomorrow!!! Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 03 2011 8:50:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I cannot imagine what you are going through. Is it like this all the time there or is this just a wet year so far? I so hope it stops. Sounds crazy busy for you. I hate to say it but it's just a gorgeous day here. It's cool and breezy, more like a March day. But I'll take it. I sure wish I could blow some of this up your way.

I got some more icky stuff out of the sore on Sandy's udder this morning. She didn't like it. But it's getting smaller. Is it ok to drink her milk? It sounds disgusting really. So maybe I'll just freeze it all. I do believe a stiff piece of alfalfa hay got stuck in her udder and infected it. That is some thick and stiff hay. I have gotten splinters in my fingers just carrying it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  3:04:07 PM  Show Profile
oh linda i too am sending hugs and warm dry thoughts for you. you are one tough farmgirl. we are watching marilyn. she is due sunday. well she is very uncomfortable. she is dilated and babies have dropped. i bet there are 3 in there. she is a barrel. so today she is breathing heavy pawing the ground. so i just put her in the stall and shed with a lamp. so our little bam bam is doing super. he and mom are out with all the goat family now. i sure had to fight the cows the other day to get them home.i so hope its easier today. lisa uses a grass rake. she just touches there butt lightly and they get moving. so i am trying that tonight. they love the green grass and do not want to walk home. lazy cows.LOL so they have lice. darn i bet hazel brought them from the warm valley. we are getting an organic one for them. it looks like a rash on their udder. so you have sores i have lice linda has mud and so it goes. i wonder how our other girls are faring. we are warm and dry today. i love it. happy days here. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Great pictures Angie! Thanks for sharing!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  7:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Today its been cool. We had rain part of the night and a shower that passed through today.The sun started peaking out around 3:00 today. At least it stopped raining and the girls slipped up the hill today. They made it up and to the back pasture and was grazing and the kids were running around. They were so glad to get out. I let the Goddard babies out of their run today and they ran around all over the place until 7:00 this evening when I went out to do chores. Tomorrow its suppose to stay sunny and then the rain moves back in the evening.

No we are not usually quite this wet for this long of time. This is crazy...we have broke records for rainfall for April and who knows what May is going to bring. I know I told my girlfriend that I have been somewhat depressed the past 8 weeks and I know its been hard on the goats and chickens. But looking forward to tomorrow. Looks like we will all get out tomorrow for most of the day.
Kristin I would get a test for her milk to make sure. I would really clean it well twice a day and put some antibiotic salve on it.I hope its just external from the hay stubble.

So true Sherry...........lol.I am smiling as I read your post. I think we are all having our share of troubles. But we also have had nice kids, calves, and we are getting milk,among other things. So thats the silver lining for all out hard work. Yes we farm ladies sure do work hard for what we get. Sometimes our payment is wonderful and sometimes its hard to except but thats how farmlife is. Its a life thats not for everybody. I think what doesn't take us down makes us stronger. I ought to feel like Hercules !!!

You all have a good rest and a great day tomorrow. I know I am looking forward to the sun.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 04 2011 7:12:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  8:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I just remembered you asked how much milk a goat gives. It's different for each goat and breed. I have Lamancha and Nubian. Right after kidding and for a few months they will give close to a gallon a day each. That's with milking twice a day. They will slack off the closer they get to kidding again. And also weather has an effect on milk production as does feed consumption. I used to weigh each does milk all year. When I saw a decline I would look for a problem. But I don't do that with just 2 does. But I might start back just to see what they are doing now. Abby is 9 years old. SO I will be interested to see how much she will give this year. She dried herself up early this time. She is the Lamancha.

Linda, I am so glad you all had such a nice day there. And I hope tomorrow is even better.

Sherrye, I hope you can get the lice problem under control. What a mess. Sandy is getting better all the time. I hope to be able to put the kids up at night. I haven't done it yet. It's been cold at night lately. And then I put the chickens in the other stall. I need to figure something out so I can put them up. I need milk.

I did see several cute little does and bucks for sale on Craig's list near here. I'll call about them. I will need a little doeling for Zarah to grow up with. My friend who's buck I used, called this morning. She was in the area and wanted to come see my kids. I was just leaving. So she went to the other farm that used her buck to see if there were any kids yet. They weren't home so she went down to the barn. One of the does had just had a set of twins. They were still wet when she got there. Then later this afternoon they must have called her because she called me to tell me another doe had just had triplets! 2 does and a buck. And they have 3 more does to go. So that was a busy little buck for his first year. maybe I can buy one of their little doelings when she's weaned.

Good night, all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  8:10:04 PM  Show Profile
It's so nice to read of all the goings-on on all you ladie's farm,I so look forward to getting moved and getting back to a normal country life,I wish we had never moved here but soon they should site our modular home and we should be able to get moved pretty rapidly.
My doe recovered well from her gastro distress,she's been off and on getting sick and each time I've managed to treat her with milk of magnesia with some yogurt and senna pods and then after geting real sick,shaking and having diarrhea,she pops right back up and is fine,I figured out that my niece was dumping her compost pail over the fence so I think she's been getting potato peelings and other rotten stuff,this little Dwarf goat will eat anything,even if the other goats turn thier nose up at it.
All is well here,I've been shutting the buck kids away at night and milking the does in the mornings,they're getting obnoxious already,all three of these boys will ride around on eachother all at once,forming a sort of conga line,practicing for when they become big bucks.
Kris on your abcessed doe I would perhaps try to smear on a little slippery elm paste,it is very astringent and sticky and will stay pretty well once it dries,helping to draw out some of the gunk and inflammation,I've used it and burdock root quite alot to treat mammary abcess,strangles and other infection and have had alot of success with it.
Well ladies,I hope everyone is having good luck with thier animals and getting some milk in the pail,take care now.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  07:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I think I am going to have to sell Sandy. That goat is driving me crazy! She is practically laying down not when I try to milk her. I have stuck a 5 gallon bucket under her belly but she still manages to lay down. She stuck her foot in the milk bucket with milk in it. Had to give that to the dogs then go wash the bucket. I was not going to give up. I sure wish someone was her to hoist her up so I could get under her. Darn goat. And her udder is so big I cannot manage to get in the bucket. I am so aggravated with her right now. I just put them all up front and will leave the kids up there tonight and see if I can milk her again in the morning. I think she thinks I am going to try to sqeeze that spot but not anymore. I am done with it. It is smaller this morning though. But she has always been a little skittish on the stand and will sort of squat but never this bad. I almost had her on my shoulder once trying to get her to stand up. And I had to tie her back legs together to keep her from kicking the bucket and she was worse. I don't know what to do with her. I may just not milk her anymore and try to sell her as a nurse goat. I hate to do it but I ma still aggravated with her right now thinking about it.

Kathryn, that could be why she's sick. I had a goat that would eat anything too when all the others would turn their noses up. Hoep you solved the problem. I have 3 buck kids and they are a mess. They do the same thing as yours. It's so cute now. And why are bucks so darn friendly and does so not? I am having a time with little Zarah. I am working on her to get her to come to me now. But she is still a little leary. Hope that changes soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  2:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Kristin instead of using a milk bucket under her just try milking into a quart jar and then dump it into a bucket thats not near her. That way if she kicks she can only mess up whats in the jar. I would give her a few days once you are done treating the abcess.
She is probably really paranoid and thats why she has gotten worse.I know how frustrated you are and its a lot of work when they fight so. I had a doe years ago that would lay down and I had a hook over the milking stand and and lots of cookies she finally was able to be milked without it.I would give her cookies when I fist put her in the stand and after to try to make the experence positive for her. Just give her a little time and see how she does. Good luck.

Yep its sunny today. I had to go to the ENT today and get some groceries but it sure has been wonderful to see the sun. I was outside with the goats for a little while after I got home. Its just beautiful outside. After dinner I am going to spend the rest of the time outside until its dark.

Kathryn once you get moved in and settled you will feel so much better. Just do the best you can and remember its only for a little while longer. Glad your doe is feeling better.

Well need to work on dinner and then out to play with the girls(goats). You all have a great evening.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Is it okay to ask a few more questions.....
How long is the gestation period of a goat?
How long do you milk them for?

I have found the cure for my kicking cow. Not thrilled to do it, but it works. I have a strap around her, just in front of the udder. Cinch it up tight, so she knows its there, once I get the milker on her I can slack off some. If she tries to kick I give it a tug. She sure has been a major problem. I am keeping my eye out for a different cow. But now she is milkable anyways.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  05:32:12 AM  Show Profile
First time I put the kids up last night. The turkeys didn't go back in so I had their coop to snatch up sleepy kids and put them in there for the night. So this morning of course the does didn't want to come to me so I had to get them. Got them up on their stands and they were HUGE! I got a gallon from each of them. Could have gottne more but left some for the kids.

And Sandy did great! Only lifter her leg 2 times! I took Linda's advice and grabbed a qt size plastic bowl and used that then dumped it into the bigger bucket. Had to do it 4 times. I'll take a picture of their udders. I have never seen Sandy so big. Anyway, the milk buckets are in the little freezer out in the milkroom now cooling. Then I will taste it and see if I can take it to a friend who has been patiently waiting for goat milk as long as I have. I hope it's good.

Michele, gestation for a goat is between 145-155 days. Mine were due April 19th. Abby kidded on the 13th which was 144 days and Sandy kidded on the 17th at 148 days. That buck got them as soon as I let him in with them. So it's good to write down the date you put a buck in and count from there.

So I will breed them again in Oct' or Nov. then will milk for 3 months and start drying them off so they will have a 2 month break. Then go from there. I only breed once a year. Some people do more. I would like to have 2 sets of does to be bred at 6 months apart so I will always have milk. But it is nice for me to have a break too but I sure miss the milk. ANd frozen goat milk to me is not good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad she did better today. And darn thats a ton of milk especially from the 9 year old doe. Thats a fantastic amount of milk for any doe much less an aged doe. The milk should be starting to get pretty good by now. Glad for you and your does.

Its sunny again here today....only a chance of rain.
My mom is on her way here to spend the weekend. She lives about 1 1/2 hours from me. She doesn't care for all my animals or the country but does like to visit and fix lots of fattening food while she is here. Not that we don't eat good but we try to eat healthy and not so much desert and fattening meals. She goes so overboard that she makes herself sick sometimes. But she does so enjoy it. My dad passed away 8 years ago and she has no one to cook all this food for so she makes up for it when she is here. So I wouldn't take that joy away from her.

Well you all have a good day, I need to finish sprucing up the house a little more. Just thought I would check in and see what was going on.

Happy Mothers Day to everyone. Hope its a sunny and happy one for everybody.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 06 2011 09:20:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  12:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris for the great answers. I hear ya, it is nice for a break, but miss the milk. I agree that cows milk is bad frozen too.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Well, I lied, y'all. My milk buckets are supposed to hold a gallon and they were almost full from each goat. When I strained the milk into half gallon jars they were full and then half of another half gallon jar. So I got a gallon plus about a little over a quart. Not very much but it looked like alot. So when I milk twice a day I should get a gallon and a half. And hopefully it will pick up as the summer comes on. So maybe this will be enough milk with the 2 goats for now.

Linda, so glad you are having nice days again there. I hope it stays nice for the weekend. And I hope you have a great time with your mom. And eat like a pig, girl! Look at all the mud shoveling workouts you've had lately. You need some good food. Eat some for me too while you're at it. Sound yummy. I love to cook too. So I will probably be cooking and taking it to family and friends.

Michele, when are ya getting some goats?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  7:36:52 PM  Show Profile
I was milking my jersey tonight and her udder was covered with ticks. They must be just hatching out for the summer. What are you tick control tips?
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  05:21:22 AM  Show Profile
oh i hate ticks christy. i just bought a quart of pyganic. it is omri approved. its for flies ticks lice on livestock. i am going to try it for lice. we bought a jersey a few weeks back. she came from out valley area so warmer and lots of ticks. are you milking by hand? what a job that would be. so all is well this second. still waiting on marilyn. she is actually due sunday. i hope she waits. we are going on what is called a chicken coop tour today. you but a map of all the coops in area for 10.00. then you follow the map to the different farms. hope its fun and i learn something new. kris thats a lot of milk yum for you. when are your goats coming michele? happy days for you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  6:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Christy, that is horrible. Poor cow. I bet she was kicking trying to get them off of her. I have no idea what to use for ticks. Especially there. Do you have guineas? They are great for tick control. I gave all mine away a few years ago. I've thought about getting some more. have most of my chickens put up in coops for the summer so I may be getting alot of ticks too.

I just put the kids up for the night. I need some milk. I am going to be doing this every night now. I want to make cheese. And I have a few milk customers now. So here we go, back into the milking routine. I really have missed it.

Sherrye, did you go on the tour today? That sounds like fun. I hope you got some good pictures to share. I love to see chicken coops.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  5:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye- that sounds so cool, I love my chickens!

Kris-So you seel your milk? I have been afraid too. I dont want to get a big fine. But with three does giving me a half gallon or more two times a day, I always have milk.

I got four of my bucklings wethered. I sold two of them. And then I had to return one of my new does. Her CAE test was positive. I am trying to stay CAE free, so one positive will not work for me.

My hubs and I had a great 24 hr. get away. We took some amish friends to southwest Indiana and we stayed in their friends' home made log cabin. It had no bathroom, but it did have an out house and outdoor shower. We loved it. It gave us some great ideas for what we can do for a cabin for us on my father in laws property.

What a nice day we had here. I got everything that was really important into the garden. I am so happy to finally see nice weather.
Well I hope you all had a great Mothers day!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  5:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I hope everyone had a great day. Me and my oldest DD and youngest grand went to my parents for dinner. We had a nice time. I have the best mother ever. I just love her so much.

Yes, I do sell milk. I have a friend who had gotten it for years and now she has a grandson who is drinking soy milk. Ugh! So she wants him to try goat milk. So I hope he will like it and want lota more. I have started putting the kids up at night. I have been around 10 but I just did it around 8:30 tonight. I just realized they are all 3 weeks old now. Sandy the Nubian has a fit and won't leave hers. But Abby, she's outta there! I have the larger 1/2 gallon pickle jars that hold about a pint more than 1/2 a gallon. This morning they were both full. And that's with just 9 hours of kids not on them. There will be 1 1/2 more hours in the morning.

Angie, you can sell milk for pet consumption only. What they do with it after they get it home is there business. You can also have people buy shares of your goats and they pay a small fee, like $100. then each month they will pay so much for the upkeep of "their" goat. Like feed or vet bills. They should sign a contract to make it legal just in case. But you should check your state's laws first. Like I can sell eggs at my house but can't take them to the farmer's market to sell because I didn't take a candling class. I can also sell cheese from my house too. So check into your laws there. But most of the time what you do at your home is your business. And if I do have someone call that I don't know, I will never discuss money over the phone. Because here there is a huge fine plus all the animals are taken too. Plus there could possible be jail time. That's if I sold at the market without a (licensce). Now that's going to drive me crazy because it doesn't look right. How do you spell It?

I am so glad you and your hubby had such a good time. The cabin sounds great. I can handle an outhouse in the warmer months but winter? Nope. And glad ya got your garden in too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, the chicken coop tour was fun. there was one made put of straw bales. it was a house. then there was one where the guy liked heavy metal. his coop was painted with flames of fire. all in all a fun warm day. today is a little damp. i am planting seeds today. starting my veggies. our last freeze is june. so have to keep things warm still. all is good here. hazels is a lot of work. shee is a sweeet cow though. her mama is sick right now. so i will have her a little longer. so now i have her 2 goats also. she is going in for surgery today possibly. going to try to pick up 4 pigs today. i have too much milk. with 7 to 8 gallons a day wow its a lot of milk.kris i am glad your getting so much milk now. i am also glad your goat stands up now to get milked. crazy goats. sounds like angie is busy too. so hope all the babies and mamas are good today. happy days to all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
Not getting any goats.....well at the moment. I was just wondering and thinking about it. :)
MIchele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page