Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  08:11:35 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I feel so bad for you. I know what that's like. So far we have had a good spring. Rains about once a week. I have gotten the garden started. Not much yet but will be later. I am trying to go the no til route. It will take alot of time and lots more work, but will save work and time and money in the future. Now if I can just keep those darn chickens out of it! I hope the rain stops and y'all get dried out soon. At least you have have a little humor about it. You would save on your water bill for sure.

We just had some tornadoes go through. And more coming soon. My daughter just sent a picture of the tree that almost hit their house. Trees down all over the place to the north of me. They have no power and probably won't for ahile. Power lines ripped in half all over too. Nasty weather.

I took all my kids to get disbudded last Sat. They are all doing great. She did a good job. They are all so cute and funny.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  3:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Sure wish you girls could send some of that extra rain our way! We have only had 0.5 inch since the beginning of the year and we are supposed to be at nearly 3 inches by now! All the little boy goats here are doing good. The bottle baby, Oliver, sure is a character, I think he thinks he is a "people!" One of the other little boys that mom is raising is sure friendly, comes right up to me to be petted and loved on! We are enjoying having "our" milk again, sure hope I get enough to start making cheese soon!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on Apr 27 2011 3:35:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile
We are plenty wet here too. Had an inch and a quarter yesterday, Sprinkles today.
Kris I can't squat down to milk, for safteys sake. Afraid I would get kicked. I can wash her and she does not move, but put the milker under her and she kicks. Then she will stand pretty good, till she is getting done, or thinks she is done and starts kicking again. I have never milked a cow this bad before. Just frustrating. Angie I think a goat kicking would be easier to handle then a cow?? :) But I never milked goats before. Sure hope time changes her.
Everyone stay safe with all the storms and rain.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:15:26 PM  Show Profile
We just had another roll in and leave. Lots of wind, then rain, thunder and lightening then hail, then it stops. But now wind. It's heading right to Chatt again and my Dds. It's pitch black to the north with big huge lightening streaks. Birmingham just got hit and Tuscaloosa real bad. This must be some of that. When is it going to stop?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  03:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Kris- I hope you and your family are all safe this morning after all of those storms.
Sherrye- I am glad it is getting better with milking.
Michele- I am sure a cow is more dangerous when kicking. I just meant the annoying part of it. I do not have patience for my one doe. She is hard to milk. I can get hewr in the stanchion, her boys can nurse while she is in the stanchion. But she litterally will stand on my arms! She has kicked over so much milk. I even get ahold of it before it goes over, but she still seems to stand in it! ANNOYING!

Oh I so wish it would stop raining. It rained non-stop lastnight. We have so much mud here I can not get out between the two horse stalls. It is nearly to my ankles. I am hoping to get out there today after meetings and get a trench dug to release some of the trapped water. I was able to allow the goats some pasture for a few hours yesterday evening. Then the rain came again. Well go to go. It is a busy day.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:11:57 AM  Show Profile
i hope the storms have past and you all are ok this am. ebony kidded last night. one big buck. he is cinnamon color. i hope he is ok when i go out. she had a hard time. baby was in wrong position. one hoof back behind head. head was turned back. i need to check them this am. ebony was pawing the kid and fussing with him. he was slow to rise and had barely nursed when i had to go to bed. so is it common for the kids to be in there coming out wrong. vet comes for horns on gingers kids. we are getting a health check on hazel too. i am so tired today. i was very nervous for ebbie last night. we are using hobbles on hazel. it stops her kicking. rainy and snowy here today. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I am ok here. But all around looks like a enemy planes came in and bombed the whole area around me. Over 200 peole killed in Al, Tn, and Ga. And they are still searching for missing people. It was horrible. All day it went on into the night too. But today is nice.

Angie, I read somewhere that someone had a goat that would almost lay down on the stanchion while milking. She put a 5 gallon bucket under her stomach and milked. She did that a few times then didn't have to again. I guess it cured her. So I wonder if that would help a kicker. You might have to use a hobble on her back legs. Sometimes I have to hold Sandy's leg. She is a very nervous goat.

I hope everyone is ok today and there are no more storms.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, it sounds like it was horrible. we dont get news since just netflix. so sorry you had to go through that. is it over now? was hubbie home? how did the barn and animals do? sending hugs to you farmgirls out there in this. i will go to cnn and check this out. hugs love and a prayer sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, if you see the town of Ringgold, we are just 35 miles east of there. That town was really messed up. I just sw an arieal view and it looks like the high school and all around were totally destroyed. Not much left of it. And it's right behind the town's main street. The guy from the weather channel is there now.

How's the new baby this morning? Last year Sadie had a big buck that was coming out all wrong. He was big. And he was slow to get started. And had the bowed front legs,

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Kristin I am glad you and your family are okay. I was watchig the weather channel and was horrified by the pictures and all the tornadoes that hit. It reminds me of when they hit here like that when I was a little girl.I don't know if any one remembers the Xenia tornado outbreaks. It was a horrible outbreak and many people died. My grandma's trailer park was wiped off the map. Luckly she was visiting us at the time. She never went back because there was nothing to go back to and I mean nothing but empty trailor lots.
I was praying for all the people last night. They kept updating and it just seemed to get worse and worse as the evening went on.
It rained like crazy here and the wind was horrible but was lucky the tornadoes missed us. Watched the news this morning and just sat their in shock at the pictures. I feel so bad for those people.

Sherry its not unusual for kids to come out wrong. I have that happen every year. Not with everyone of them but usually one or two. I usually go in and straighten them out and pull them otherwise they may not make it out. Usually when they have such a hard time making it out they are very lethargic and need some extra help. If their legs are bowed I give them some selenium gel with vitamin E and they usually staighten out within the week. Hope your little buck is doing better this morning.

Well everyone stay safe.I am off to scrape mud again. Thank God the sun is actually shining today.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  1:55:57 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls, i had jake the vet here for hazel and to burn horns off. it all went great. hazel is in good shape. bag is good too. so no worries there. with the chin strap she has been a very good girl. i had jake check the new baby and mama. the baby latched on so thats good. she is kicking and pushing it around to keep it moving. i will have to milk her down though. tons of milk. so yes the little buck is weak and funny leeged. we gave mom an antibiotic since i had to go in. so now we wait for marilyn. she is next. happy days here. 5 bucks and 1 doe so far. this is good. i am so glad you are ok kris. that is so scary. i hope this is the end of the big storms. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  3:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda, it's not the same on tv as seeing it in person. Not the same at all. It really hit me the closer I got to Flintstone. Just lost it bad. It's horrible. Everywhere I looked there was something. Or used to be something. Just so sad. And some places were just fine. Like nothing ever happened. There was a huge trailer park in Tiftonia that was just flattened. Trailors scare me in storms like this. It seems like people don't stand a chance. Although no one was killed there.

Is the sun still shining? It is here. Beautiful day. Sherrye, I hope little buck is ok this afternoon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  5:02:48 PM  Show Profile
I am so horrified by all the weather! I pray everyone is ok. and Kris I am so happy to know you are ok.
Kris- I have thought of hobbles, I need to buy some. Maybe that is the trick.
Sherrye- I hope the baby and doe are ok today. I had one of my three had a tangeled up mess. The vet told me you can count on at least one a year.
Linda- thanks for the advice for bowed kids, I will have to write that one down.

I hope all of you are doing good.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  07:08:16 AM  Show Profile
hi angie, i was surprised when i had 2 does so far out of 3 have trouble. i have 2 to go. one is a first timer. she is not due for months yet. marilyn is due when she is ready. she is an older calm strong doe. she is as big as a barn. i call her my gentle giant. ebony and marilyn are my 2 rescue does. such nice girls now. so hazel is doing better now. she walks across road and waits when ask. milking is getting better. i still get yellow fat in my strainer some. like flecks of yellow. no strings or tissue. i think she was congested up high from not getting milked out good. belle is doing super. her jaw is almost normal and her eye. we have not tried any hay for her yet. she is on alfalfa and fresh grass. she has gained the weight she lost. baby belly on her looks good. i sure hope its an a-2 whatever. even the boys have value with a-2. its sun shining today. i so need it. hoping all is well for you girls east of me. so glad our friends here are ok. happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  08:40:54 AM  Show Profile
Morning Ladies,
Gosh Kris you area sure has been hit hard. Glad things are good by you. We have been getting plenty of rain, but no storms. Sherry sounds like you sure keep busy. Angie, good luck with your milking. My cow Connie is doing a bit better. I can't believe how fast her cream makes butter. I have been shaking it in a jar, cause I don't get that much cream, and it takes maybe 3 - 5 minutes and I got butter. And it stays fairly soft and spreadable. So nice. I get about 2 gallons every morning. Then baby goes back on her for the day. Blyde is getting big, and I banded him last night. Wish there was an easy way to get rid of horns.
take care all and enjoy the weekend
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  07:08:29 AM  Show Profile
oh i thought about how to start this. i decided just to jump in. it was a fine day here yesterday. we gardened and worked on the chicken tractor. i cleaned junk kating around up. big dat,,,, so tired. so i go to milk,,,NOT machine would nt work. well the cows were a challenge to get from pasture. that should have been a clue. hooked up my machine. NOPE not going to work. went got another gasket NOPE not working. went got other machine. well i was low on alfalfa pellets so had to ration them. belle grew tired of waiting. so she left. well hooked other machine up and hears the whoosh whoosh. in the meantime the boer kids found a hole. out they went and mama followed. chased babies wow are they heavy. put them back 3 times before i found the hole. back to milking i go. then the golf cart said no. so i slowly got my cans to the house. had to collect eggs and put goats up. so then into house and threw the milk away. there is papa eating pizza with no clue of my milk war. i was so challenged i cried. it was so hard and then the kitchen was a mess. i was outside all day. i bucked up cleaned up kitchen and all the stuff laying around. i took a hot bath, skipped dinner and off to bed. SO TODAY HAS TO BE BETTER. i am counting on it. i so hope one machine will work.LOL kris how are your girls today. anyone with new babies? maddie is not bagging up yet. this is good i need some time to set my plan for her. happy hard days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hope you have a better day today Sherrye! {{{Hugs}}}

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  07:56:50 AM  Show Profile
thanks candy, so far so good. the sun is out and i have help today.LOL men just do not get it. i looked at papa and said. day is not done till cows are milked and eggs are in and chores are done. geez, there he was clueless why i was gone so long. i rarely get frustrated like yesterday. i felt beat up. he did not get it. well i love him anyway. my neighbor says its a man thing. so i am hopeful. i have a big gone day helping some one else. thanks for the hug and ear. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile
So sorry you had one of those kind of days. I had mine Saturday. I felt beat up and I looked beat up. My legs,back,and hands are killing me. I did the same thing I took a bath and went to bed. I felt better the next day. Hope things are work'in for you today. Take care Sherry.

Hugs
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, you poor farmgirl. I hope you had a good night. And don't work too hard today. Take it easy. I hope you get your milking machines working. Or you might have to put hubby to work hand milking. That'll teach him how hard you work!

I have been taking videos of my kids playing. They are so funny. When I get them loaded I'll post some.

Linda, Sandy's lump is a littl better today. I didn't get anything out of it this morning. I did spray some iodine wound cleaner on it. She seems fine other than this. I am going to taste the milk.

I had a friend call asking for milk. I am going to have to get another goat. I have 4 people already wanting milk. Plus all the grands and us. 2 goats just ain't enough. I might need to drive up to Ohio and visit Linda. She needs to get rid of a few more does, right?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  7:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
I hope everyone is doing well and that everyone's animals are healthy,sorry I haven't been around much lately,we've been getting ready to move and having some family conflict so it's been really stressful lately,my Sister in Law's dog bit my Daughter a few weeks ago and it was a bad bite,this same dog had bitten thier four year old grandaughter before so we got into a fight over the fate of the dog and since then we have had chaos,our horses have been let out and run around with a four wheeler and all sorts of terrible retaliatory gestures so we're moving away and getting ready to proceed with a lawsuit.
Anyways,all my goat kids are growing up well,I disbudded them last week and have been milking thier dams once a day so I have been able to make some cheeses and some soap and so far all have turned out well.
I have one Nigerian doe suffering some sort of gastro distress so I've been treating her all day with yogurt,senna and milk of magnesia and she seems to be coming along.
Anyways,I just thought I would check in,I might be on and off again here while we prepare for this move,we have eleven acres we're getting ready to put a modular on so preparations for that have been taking up alot of time but I'll try to get back here as much as I can,I hope everyone is enjoying thier Spring and staying out of turbulent weather.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  06:10:04 AM  Show Profile
We just bought our first two jersey heifers one was freshen in March and the other will calf this month. WE are getting use to milking by hand and everything else that goes along with having your first cows. We are drinking the milk raw, but it taste like cow, especially the cream. Is this normal? Or are we not doing something right? We have a machine milker coming in a week.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Christy
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile
hi christy, yahoo for you. are you washing her teats with warm soapy water and rinse. mainly the teats/ what they eat also makes it taste different. they may have been feeding strong flavors. watch your fiels as it grows for field onions also. we feed rolled alfalfa pellet and food grade molasses in the milk parlor. no grain and just hay and pasture for her food. just a thought. does she have loose minerals.you probably know this stuff already. what kind of machine and pump are you getting? i am so happy for you. i love our cow and her milk. let us know how its going for you. how long does it take to milk her by hand? how much are you getting? happy days for you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning ladies!

Kris- I hope your doe is healing well.

Welcome Christy, I was wondering if you are cooling the milk fast enough? This may affect the taste of the milk. Also, do not mix older milk with new milk or warm and cold milk. Just some suggestions here.

Sherrye, Trust me I know what you are talking about. I love my huby dearly. But my 20 yr. old dd who normally helps me was gone all weekend. So it was up to us [him and me]. Well he just stood there. asking are we done yet. While I run around, did it all. Whatever!

Well I have some pics to load and put in a seperate post.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:30:52 AM  Show Profile
Here are some new pics. I hope to get some better ones later.
This is Butterfly.

Here is June bug.

Here is Bella

Here is Fawn.

Here are the kids!

Here is Twinkle, my problem milker!

Here is my new buck, Morroco!

I still need new pics of my other two milking does, my other buck and the wether!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page