Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  08:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm holding my breath for you Kris! I thought Esther would have triplets because she was about the size of your Sandy just a little bit bigger, and boy was I surprised when twins popped out!

Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  11:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Hannah, I kept waiting for another kid to pop out, just like Abby. But only twins. She had twin bucks earlier. The grands were here and saw the whole thing.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool that the kids got to see it! I remember when I first saw a goat kidding. It was the neatest thing. :)
I'm glad the bucks are going to good homes! It's so hard to find good homes for bucks.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  05:07:45 AM  Show Profile
Hannah, the bigger buck, and he is huge, is about the color of your Daisy. He has stripes down his face. They are doing good this morning except their rears are messy. Sandy is not a good wiper.

And Abby and her kids were at the gate waiting to get in the milkroom. I let them all in. Her kids are so friendly and sweet. I think Zarah will make a great milk doe. She even waitied to pee til she got outside! Very smart girl.

How is everyone? I hope you all had a great weekend. I had all 3 granddaughters. I am now on my way to my annual thyroid checkup. Wish me luck. I am always so afraid it has grown. And someone saw on Aunt Jenny's blog that she's had hers taken out. I hope all went well for her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  09:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Well Kris- I am so glad to hear you are done kidding. I am glad all went well. So four kids, one doe! Well at least there was one.
Hannah- I am doing ok. Very busy, but ok. I have those moments that I look done towards where my casper is buried and I cry. But he is awaiting me in heaven. I know that.

Did anybody get any of the tornadoes?
We are having so much rain and wind. I am sick of it!

I went to pick up my new buck, his name is morocco. He is just over 1 and has been throwing the best babies already. Well while we were out on the town we sen an ad in TSC,for nigerians for sale. So I called, we set up time to go see the goats just before picking up my new buck. This guy has tons of animals. It is his fun thing! Well his wife was confused on the paperwork and getting the paperwork transfered to thier name. I said I wanted to take a look at the apapers on the does and buck of these five "kids". It turns out I knew the original breeeder/owner of the does. It was the same breeder I was getting my buck from and who I have gotten two does from. I told him I wanted to think on it and talk with my breeder/mentor. Well she knew right away which does these were. I went back to this guys place, he offered to have me buy all five, 4 does and 1 buck for 300.00! And not pay until they had the papers! So I went for 1 buck and came home with a small herd!
I am keeping them all seperate till a vet check, the 5 from the guy have never been really touched. So this will be a long process. I will probably wether the one buck from the guy [i named him festus]. He is small, ugly and not breed correct. So I will wether him and then sell or keep him once he is cleared by the vet. I will probably keep at least two of the 4 new does. I may sell the other two once the vet clears them. I may also breed them, then sell them pregnant.
I will post pics of all my herd soon. The weather is judt making pics easy!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Kristin, Really?!? That is so neat!

Angie, Can't wait to see pictures! It's funny because when I first got my goats I was only going to get 2 girls but the lady ended up talking me into getting a buck ( they had 9 bucks and wanted to get rid of them all) so I left with 3 instead of 2. LOL!

Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  7:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Angie, that's alot of goats. But a great price for all of them. Hopefully you can make some back by selling a few. I will probably be looking for another doe to milk. I want to get a bottle calf too. And I have some milk customers already waiting for milk.

I am taking Zarah and her brother Zeke (my granddaughter, Coryn, named him. I call him Z) to my friend in Tn., who is a vet, on Sat. to get them disbudded. She puts them to sleep and does a really good job.

I am so allergic to the goat kids. I just want to hold them and snuggle them. Then I get itchy eyes and sneeze. It's awful to be allergic to baby goats. I am not that way with the grown goats. The kids are like kittens with the dander. Which I am also allergic to. So I am having a hard time with this.

I went with my friend today to get a buck for his does. This buck is Abby's son from last year. He is very handsome. He's the one that didn't get disbudded because I waited too long. But he is still a very nice looking buck. He went right to work on the 2 does. So I hope this works and they get some kids in Sept. I also trimmed his does hooves.I got a blister even wearing leather gloves. The had some really bad feet.

I have been milking the goats already. I am putting this milk in the freezer so if I do get a calf, I will have some milk already for it. They have alot of milk right now even with the kids nursing. Zarah and Zeke will be 1 week old tomorrow. So In another week I will start putting them up at night and milk Abby in the morning. I am so excited to finally get milk again!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  8:09:19 PM  Show Profile
oh kris thats great. its always neat when you see your animals again and being used well. i know what you mean about blisters from clipping hooves. AND wow angie are you gonna be busy. congratulations on your score. you are going to come out way ahead. and hannah and every one we are having a fine spring for sure. lots of babies here. i have not heard to much about baby horses recently though. i put marilyn in the stall tonight. she is looking very ready. i will check her in the night. i think the barn light shall shine tonight. i hope she waits till tomorrow. i am still rodeo round up hazel. NOW i think i found me another jersey girl. LOL oh my GOT MILK? i used my big 10 gallon milker tonight. i put there milk together. one can is so much easier. so i need to clean eggs and carton them up to sell tomorrow. happy days to you all. my farmgirl friends. i should have added candy too. wow there are so many of us goat cow girls i am lost keeping tract. what a fine thing. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  03:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Kris- That really does suck to be allergic to the kids. I have major issues with allergies with a couple of our cats. They like me, and my body says no!
Sherrye- I can not imagine getting that much milk! WOW!
Well I hope everyone has a great day!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  04:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Wow. I just got done feeding and it came a down pour! I had to milk in the barn. I still have to throw Mazie some hay and feed the cooped hens and roos. But they will be fine. It is thndering and lightening too. I hope this is the storm we were supposed to get tonight. It is so dark out there. I did want some rain to water my garden but not a down pour. And the silly kids were out under the 2 cedar trees while I was milking Abby. They came running in though. They are the 2 friendliest kids I have ever had, I think. They just come running to me.

Sherrye, are you actually getting 10 gallons each time? Are you still milking Belle too? How is she doing?

Chuck is getting so big. He is already eating hay and grass. At this rate, he will be huge at 12 months and ready to go. He is supposed to be getting castrated this week.

I had my neighbor come yesterday to mow and week eat around my front pasture where my chicken houses are. It was getting very tall and I was getting scared. I thought I saw something yesterday morning that may or may not have been a snake. Not sure because I ran screaming. SO I asked if he would come trim around the coops. He ended up just mowing the whole area. So now I can see what's out there. And just as I was praying that God would remove all the unwanted critters too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:15:42 AM  Show Profile
We had a cow get stuck in a fence-the barbed wire had wrapped around her leg-it was HORRIBLE. My husband had to get her in the headstall and TIE her poor foot to the chute to dig out the wire-poor thing. :(

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Megan, how horrible. Poor cow. What do y'all do for the wound? I make a paste with aloe gel and turmeric. Slather it all over the wound and within days it's healed. I hope she'll be ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  06:42:09 AM  Show Profile
megan, how sad. i hope the cow will be ok. papa is leaving on sat. for new mexico for work. so i will be on my own for milking. i am getting about 7 gallons in am and about 4 or 5 gallons at night. 2 days and there is a full milk fridge. LOL i NEED PIGS. well i am so tired and sore from this. i know i will not die but i feel sore bone tired and achey. i must figure out a system for moving one cow into milk and the other out. it becomes a pushing match. scared i will get hurt. so today i will bring my portable panels home and set up a catch pen. when i get my strength back i will be a cheese making machine. i hope she milks out ok today. i have to hang a weight on the claw. hope this works i am also going to turn up the pump pressure to 14 pounds and see if it helps. i am going to dilute some of the milk waste and pour on my garden area. some on kfc have been dpoing this. it seems to work great. megan what kind of cows do you have? happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  3:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Goodness Megan! I hope your cow is okay! We swear by Vetricyn for all of our animals cuts, big and small. We used it on DH's gelding after he sliced his forehead/nose open on something. The cut was down to the bone and about 8-inches long, we used the Vetricyn and it healed right up! He hardly even has a scar! We had seen this stuff advertised on RFD TV and we kept thinking "Yeah, right!" but it really works!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:14:59 AM  Show Profile
She's doing MUCH better. I told him I thought the wire was still in there, thank goodness he listened to me (This time!). He washed it with betadine solution, gave her an antibiotic shot to stem off any infection, she'd already had tetanus, and then he applied a liquid bandage. I gave him some Corona ointment to put on it as well under the liquid bandage.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  07:02:15 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning girls, well we are having some challenges with hazel. so i was getting totally wore out. my neighbor came over after milking. we put a chin chain on her. nan jerked the chain a time or two. wow we had her attention fast. i dont plan on hurting her, BUT she was not being a good cow. i could not lead her anywhere. so this am after milking we are taking them to pasture. nan is going to help me. she just needs to remember i may be little BUT i carry a big chin chain. LOL she needs to see me as head cow. so i am encouraged. milking is hard. anyone milk cows with a machine? her right side seems thick and full when i am done. we are having vet come. i keep thinking its the machine. it does fine on belle. well one thing at a time. how are all the mamas and babies doing? i know it is a busy weekend for you all. have a fine farm day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. Sounds like you are having a time with that cow girl. I'm sure you will trian her to be a greta milk cow real soon. I just hope she doesn't wear you down. Be careful. Thank goodness for that chin strap. I remember when I had my horse. I had a farrier come to trim her feet. SHe did not like it at all. They had come up with a harness that made the horse stand so still and never gave them any problems at all when it was on. It was great.

My goat girls are doing greta. They are such good mothers. I had all 4 kids disbudded yesterday. They are all doing fine. No problems at all. They are all so sweet and friendly. I have been milking the does every day now and getting back into the milking routine. We have already been drinking abby's milk. She has a lot in the mornings so far. It's not the best yet but is drinkable. It will get better soon.

I took tons of pictures today of them all out back playing on the rocks and in the trees. I can hardly see Sandy's kids. They blend in with the dirt like she does. Or I should say the red clay. So they are hard to see in some shots. I have so many pictures of my animals.

I hope evryone had a great Easter with family and friends today. We went to my parent's for dinner. I brought some of my ham form Pig. It was ok but not really good. It was cured. I could taste the smokiness. I need to know how to cook this pig. The pork chops were a little tough. The sausage is really good though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:03:07 AM  Show Profile
hey there, yes i am having a time with hazel. she just needs to learn how things are done here and that i am head cow. my neighbor helped me move them yesterday. so the chin strap is working. what a difference it makes. as long as she goes with me its all good. as soon as she argues i pull the chain. so now i have her attention. milking is getting easier i think? Lol so we are going to get a well check from jake. i wish i had a pic now. anyway so far so good. i have been very sick this week. milking has been a huge job. i am feeling some better but very weak still. darcy, hazels owner is coming today to help. so all is good. still no babies yet. waiting on marilyn and ebony. should be soon. i let the babies out yesterday since the buck is gone. they sure had fun. its rainy today. i know how it is with those sandy colored goats. they just blend in. so i am floating in milk. i thought you know i could take a milk bath or pour it on my plants or what????????? i need pigs already. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  05:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi sounds like everyone is busy with milking. It is always fun to read on what 0thers are doing.
I am milking once a day, leaving the calf on the other half. It is working out well.
I still have problems with kicking. She seems to just be ornery. She still kicks at her calf too.
I hope she gets over it. Sherrye I do use a surge. You can pull down a touch on each cup to finish up the quarter. Each quarter will get done at a different time. I do pull them off as they are done. At least I used to, milking connie they all come off at once, as I can't even squat down beside her yet.
best wishes
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, a milk bath sounds great! You should do that. Straight from the cow, too. Nice and warm! ANd then get some pigs.

Michele, why can't you squat down? Did you get hurt and I have forgotten? I am so sorry. Seems like you might have had knee problems. How much milk are you getting now?

This morning while I was milking all the kids are out of the fence. They are so thin right now they can fit through the wooden fence slats. Then they jump all over the lawn mower and chase chickens and dogs and cats. They jump up on this wooden gate thing and slide down. But I am noticing that Zeke is the ring leader of the gang. He is the first out and the first to do anything. Then he goes and gets the others and shows them how to do it. Sandy's kids kind of hang back like they know they aren't supposed to go there or do that but then temptation sets in and they do it anyway. The are so funny to watch. Zarah and Zeke were the first out and the other 2 stayed in. Then Zarah saw that the fence was open and showed them. Then they all went out again. I love them at this age. But I can already tell Zeke will be into everything and be a trouble maker.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 26 2011 8:34:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  6:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. I hope all of you are getting along ok with all of this rain. It is really taking a toll here. I have been keeping everybody in pens and trying to keep everyone seperat [new arrivals and all]. But they are all so sick of pens, they want freedom!
The vet was here yesterday, she casterated festus [new buck], checked all the new goats, did CAE testing on the new goats, vaccines for horses, casterated a mini hereford calf and got soaked!
The new goats are doing ok. The vet confirmed they are wormy, we found a capsolated sore on the one, her name is Bella. I am now awaiting the CAE tests. I was disappointed the CAE tests have like doubled in price and nobody said anything. It had to be done, just disappointed.
I am hoping to get pics tomorrow. I will post them as soon as I can.
Sherrye- I hope it is getting better with Hazel.
Michele- I understand an ornery milker. I have a goat that make me crazy.
Kris-I loved hearing about your kids playing. I love to watch the kids.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  8:39:37 PM  Show Profile
No rain here yet but I am getting worried with every news cast. They keep getting worse and worse. And they should be really bad between 6 and 10 pm. They say there are alot of tornadoes with this storm and lots of rain. But we could only see about 1 1/2" here. There could be lots of flooding around us though. I am not looking forward to this. I hope it stops soon for you, Angie. I really don't like rain on the farm. It's just a mess. I hope it dries up and your critters can get out. And I hope all the CAE tests come back negative. It seems like everything costs more these days. But at least you can get it done.

I took some videos of the animals this evening at bedtime. I will try to get them posted soon. They are just too funny around here. Never a dull moment for sure.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  8:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh boy girls! I have 3 does that might be pregnant and due in June/July. This was an accidental breeding but what can you do?!? lol!
Hope everyones animals are doing good. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile
more babies for you hannah. wow you are going to be very busy. do you sell them? i am with you kris on the rain. it has stopped here. i am happy about it. we are all doing good today. hazel is settling down. her owner darcy and i took the cows to pasture yesterday. i was a little nervous. we had an easy time. last night i brought them home alone. we even had a truck go by. we had to wait for it. the girls and dogs did really well. milking is getting better too. jake will be coming for a health check. so since maddie is a-2 i will train her to milk. its a little scary but i am going to try. in the beginning i have a squeeze chute it need be. belle is doing wonderful. what a good girl she is. she is still giving around 3 to 4 gallons a day. i sure need pigs. i have been sick with the porphyria so no pig shopping yet. so all is good this am. we are waiting on baby goats yet though. could be any day now. angie how are all your animals doing? happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  07:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi farm ladies I'm just catching up on the post. I have been so busy with outside barn mud scraping stuff I am just overwhelmed.

I just started typing when I heard babies crying like they were seperated from their moms. I went out and I have a main barn and a little wooden barn above that one. Some of the goats were in there and the rest below. It had started to rain so I went out to put them all together.The rain was coming down so hard that in less then 5 minutes of getting them all in one barn I was soaked through to my bra and underware. In 15 minutes we had and inch and the water is running like a river off the hills through the back of the barn and in between the 2 barns. We have been getting hammered with rain and have broken records since way back. They have never seen this much rain for this area ever!its litterally rained every day and night.
The mud is so bad here that I can hardly walk with the hills.My goats are tired of being in the barn and they can't walk up the muddy hills either anymore.........its crazy. I don't know how much more I can take of this. Everything has been wet for so long. My grass in my backyard is rotting from the standing water and I live on hills. Sorry to whine but needed to blow off some steam. I knew they were calling for more rain again today but this is just getting rediculous. Spring here has not been pleasant all it has done is rain. Its kinda scary.

On a light note I have sold some goats and I went 26 to 19 and hopefully will sell my buck and that would take me down one more. I still have to many but can't part with the geriatrics and the rest. I just love them to much. The new babies I bought from Goddard farm are doing well. Three of them had to be dehorned. I really hated doing that but I don't want a buck with full blown horns.Two of them only had one horn coming back and the other had 2.

Sounds like everyone is super busy with milk!!! I actually got a little yesterday cause I have the new bottle babies from Kansas down to 2 bottles a day. Can't wait to get them down to one a day. The goat milk tasted so good and sweet. I wish I lived closer to Sherrye I sure would help you out with all that milk it sounds so yummy. Its definlately spring andsounds like everyone is busting with babies and milk. Glad everyone is doing so well.

Well I need to head back to the barn and try to divert some of the water coming off the hills. Its not let up since I started typing. I have never seen it rain so hard and the wind blow so bad. I am really gonna get wet. Might as well take a bar of soap and shampoo with me while I am at it....lol. Will have to get on later when I have more time and maybe the rains stops. Take care and be safe.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page