Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Cute Michele!!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:24:28 PM  Show Profile
oh yipee and happy days at your house michele. it is so fun to have new life. i am so happy for you. i just absolutely love fresh raw milk. yum.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  5:11:52 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about the bottle babies. The 4 new ones I brought back from Kansas are the most aggresive punchers I have ever bottled. I have triplets that I supplement twice a day but they are so mellow. I don't know if its in their bloodlines to be so aggressive or what. My fingers and hands are cut all over from them punching the bottle and slipping and cutting me with their teeth. I also have milk up my arms and its all over their heads. Its totally crazy and I have to wipe them off at every feeding. The youngest one is 4 weeks old and the oldest one is 7 weeks old so I am going to be at this for awhile.. big sigh.

On the good side of things. I mixed goat milk with half replacer and they barely got loose boweles for one day and straighted right up after that. I also gave them probios twice a day.That was such a long trip for the little guys I am amazed they have done so well.
I would have given them straight goat milk but don't have any moms that don't have babies on them right now. I am able to get 3/4 of a gallon from 2 of the moms because they only have one baby each on them and they can't drink all the milk. So it helps to have some goat milk. I can't wait until the youngest one goes down to 2 bottles a day. I won't feel so tied down.

Kristin I can't wait to see what your does have this year. I really do hope you get some does.Sounds like Sherrye will have some new ones soon too. Sounds like everyone will have new babies soon it not already.
I have too many goats right now. I have 24 including the new ones I bought. I have a family who is going to buy 3 for sure and possible 5. So that will help. I would like to sell at least 2 more for sure.

Angie I hope you feel better soon. I hate being sick especially when we have babies and families to take care of. Praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Well I'm off to eat my dinner. Its late tonight cause there is too much going on here and the next thing I know the day is gone. Take care everyone.

p.s. that calf is a cutie!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I sure remember those bottle feeding kids all too well. I sure hope my goats are able to feed all 18 of their kids by theirselves! I don't know. I might help with one or two. Maybe. It is a lot of work, for sure. But those sweet little kids are adorable. But when they knock the bottles out of your hand or take the nipple off the bottle and milk goea everywhere, they ain't so cute then. And it seemed everytime I would go out covered in way more than I went in with.

Yep, I am quite excited and anxious for these babies to get here. It seems like they have been huge for so long. Sandy is about 6" from the ground with her big belly. I am not holding my breath for does though. The way it's been lately, I will not get my hopes up. I just want healthy kids really. But honestly, just 1 cute little doe. Is that too much to ask? Really?

I hope you make it to weaning, Linda. I wish I could come up there and get one of those does from you. It's just a days drive.

Hannah, how are all your goats? Didn't you get some kids?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  03:11:24 AM  Show Profile
By Sunday night at the latest if all goes right there will be 6, yes 6, black angus heifers here!!! I am really excited

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  05:29:10 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like the start of a great herd of cattle, Rae. I can feel your excitement. That is so fun to start new adventures on the farm. I think I am going to have to get another heifer here for Mazie if I take Chuck to the butcher earlier than planned. We shall see.

I am still waiting on my lambs. Goodness, these sheep are really slow to have their lambs. They are waiting for the really warm weather I think. But any time now. I am like rae and really excited about getting a little flock of sheep started here at Outback Farm. I can just see them out the front window in the pasture.

I've got to "go to work" today. Mrs. T. is back and I have Fridays with her. I take her to get her hair done, then to the store while she's there. Then we go eat lunch out. It's so fun. Then she lays down for a few hours. It's such hard work. Really, y'all, she's 93 1/2. She says she's almost 100. Not too far off. But she thinks she's the oldest living human in the world. She's so funny. If you have ever seen the hallmark Maxine cards, that's Mrs. T. She looks just like her. I love her. I have known her for almost 30 years. She has to have someone with her all the time now. Anyway, I'm off to work today. Y'all have a great day too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 08 2011 05:33:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  6:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi momma and baby are doing well. Connie is 1/4 holstein and 3/4 jersey. Yes she is black with a couple white spots. She is a handful to milk. Right now taking 2 of us, as she kicks quite a bit. She kicks alot at baby yet too, but getting better. She has edema, so giving her the benefit of the doubt of being sore. Saved her milk tonight, as it looked pretty good, and went through the strainer. Fresh dairy products, yum.
6 heifers Rae, that is great. good luck
Don't work too hard Kris! That is great that you help your friend. You sure can learn alot from our elders! They can be pretty funny too!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  6:43:55 PM  Show Profile
It was so hot here today, the poor goats were just panting so much. They are SO big and the heat does not help at all. I know they have to be miserable right now. And they are so ready to have all those kids. Now much longer.

Michele, how's that cute little calf? Is he brown? I bet he's so pretty. Mazie's boy, Chuck, is growing so fast. He's 4 weeks todya. And very chunky. I am going to start looking for a bottle heifer soon when the goats have milk to feed it. I need more cows.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  06:09:55 AM  Show Profile
on the kfc site they have a saying kris. it is CALPC cows are like potato chips... you can not have just one. i sure enjoy my cows. just selling 2 made a difference on the feel in the pasture. trying to seal a deal for care taking a fresh cow for her milk. like share milking right now. how is sandy doing? ginger is still holding on to her kids. i see no goop yet. you will probably have kids first. Michelle your cow and calf are so cute. well i sure would think its a noisy barn at feeding time with 24 goats. wow Linda thats a lot of goats. do you sell meat or how do you use them. Rae are your cows here yet? i would love pics. so much fun a lot going on in spring.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  06:33:14 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering what that meant, Sherrye. Thanks. I am going to ask my friend who has a Jersey steer aboout 4 months old if she wants to bring him out here. Or she has a Jersey heifer about 9 months old too. That might be better. Either one would be good. Just someone to play with for Chuck. He runs all over out there. I love to see little calves playing with each other. The other day I saw a cow with about 10 calves all around her up on a little dirt hill. It was so cute.

I think Sandy will go first too. I don't see any goo on Abby yet. I know that buck got Sandy right away.

Hubby's home. I asked him awhile ago if he wanted to help butcher the 2 male turkeys today. He didn't look too awful excited about it but said he would help. I can do all the rest if he will just hold the neck for me. So yay, we will have fresh turkey! Do you think 1 tom for 4 hens is good? I had thought about keeping 1 tom with 2 hens each. What do you think? But I don't know. I think we need to do both those toms. That way I can let the hens out and they won't run up to the front looking for those 2 guys. Maybe they will stay out back away from the road.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  07:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!! Well by Friday night 6 heifers had joined the sheep. They were afraid of the sheep at first. Now they just kind of check each other out and then go and eat each others hay!! We will be expanding but that is where they had to go to begin with and it is working out really good so far.

They seem to have settled in as I can get up as close as a foot away already so good start. A couple have come a bit closer.

Our road is a major disaster area though after hauling them in and the last of the frost coming out. I got stuck with car yesterday and a herd of 4 wheeler men came by and lifted the car out and pushed me out Not really supposed to be on our road as snowmobile only but told them they could go through. One guy is also a farmer so said they would be very careful and respectful of our land as he knows what is like to have people go onto fields. Ahhh still good people out there in the world

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  11:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Kristin, My goats are doing great! Thank you so much for asking! :) I now have a herd of 8. 6 does and 2 bucks ( I swear I am the only one who has 2 bucks! LOL!). Esther, one of my does, kidded March 27th to two beautiful does, Daisy and Blossom. I feel so blessed that I have a buck who gives girls. lol! Five out of six have been does. How are your goats doing? Any kids yet?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  6:25:12 PM  Show Profile
hannah i am glad your goats are doing so good. my ginger had her kids today. same as betty boop. it was 1 pm and a sunday. 2 bucks. i am so happy. the second one got stuck his hoof was wrong. i gloved up and helped. ginger was crying. it was simple i released the hoof and out he slipped. he was slow to rise. we got the bo=se in him and it sure helped. they are cute. i will post pics. one is brindle cinnamon color and black. i thought he was solid black, no he is speckled. the other is marked like the boer buck but in cinnamin color. they have the lamancha ear with a cite flap. so happy days here. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  6:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Sherry! I cannot wait to see pictures of your babies! They sound so cute! Happy for you!!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  6:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I thought my Sandy was going to go first. I think mine were the last to get bred last year. I remember I was getting worried that it was getting too late to breed them. And you got more bucks. It sure isn't looking too good for me so far. I'm glad you were there to help out. Ginger is Lamancha? I cna't wait to see pictures. I hd to leave Sandy and Abby up front for tonight because of the pigs not doing what I wanted them to do. So they need to stay out of the way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile
thanks hannah, did you post pics of your babies. blossom and rose. i remember you choosing blossom. i love that. so post some pics again of your goats hannah. oh kris i read your post about your pigs. darn pigs its ALL about food.LOL so hopefully the aroma of warm milk might get them in. we do practice loads with ours. so when the day comes they walk right in for milk. we loaded 2 in 10 min. it was setting up the trailer took 8 min of it. we opened it and they walked in. next time try doing it when they are small then its easy when they get big. i am so sorry it was hard. i would have been upset too. its like get loaded i want to be done. i hold food overnight and load late morning. they are starving by then. easier load. just a thought. yes ginger is a registered la mancha girl. so sweet, beautiful babies. we banded the other two bucks. betty was cae positive. so we did her boys today. now we are waiting on your girls next kris. i hope you get your girls you want. i need boys. more bucks to sell for me. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  8:48:16 PM  Show Profile
oh rae i forgot to ask how your herd is doing? it would be so exciting to have 6 come at once. i think its a fine start to a good size herd. so we want pics from you too. what are they eating? happy days for you rae sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  06:22:30 AM  Show Profile
SHerrye, I am making biscuits and gravy right now. For me! I just cleaned out the trailor. It's my friend's horse trailor so there is horse poop and straw on the floor. They didn't like the smell I guess. So I got it all cleaned out. We got them back in their pen last night after about 45 minutes of chasing them all over the yard. I really had forgotten how smart a pig is. I should have known after the same thing happening 2 times before. They went straight back to their room and went to bed. I have not seen them yet this morning. I will wait til help comes back and go from there. They sbould be pretty hungry by then. I hope. I worried about this all night. Trying to figure out how to get them in the trailer today. So wish us luck. My hubby's gone back out on the road. I know he was glad to be going. Get away from the crazy lady.

My goats have 8 more days to their due date! 8 days! I have loved seeing and hearing about all y'alls goat babies. But I want some! Sandy is dropping every day. She's not as wide as she was. But she's way lower. And their udders are so full. I just want to milk them.

How are your boys this morning, Sherrye? Did they get ears? I am wondering if Sandy's kids will have any ears. The buck I used is 3/4 Lamancha and 1/4 Nubian. He had elf ears. We shall see. This is worse than when I was pregnant. That last few weeks was awful with the waiting. It lasts forever.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  07:05:19 AM  Show Profile
well i think i want some biscuits too.i sure hope loading works for you today. i know if you use those walking boards, like they use at fair may help you too. one on each side of pig to make it so they can only see forward where they are going. good luck today. our bucks have the la mancha flap ears so cute. now we wait for marilyn next. she is bagging up now. i am glad sandy waited till the pigs are going to have hers. thats what you were hoping for. so i am at 4 bucks 1 doe so far. i do think i have the milk cow deal worked out for now. i am going to care take a cow. then the folks ( her name is darcy will come here to learn to milk. they are 3 families. so they need lots of milk. she is going to buy hazel. nice cow likes kids and people. hazel had to be sold so the dairy man could pay his mortgage pymt. very sad these hard times. so a gal in the valley bought her. i think this will work out well. they pay for her food and care. she lives here and we share her milk. so I NEED MORE PIGS NOW. LOL hazel will be coming next week. so i am getting my machine set up for another cow. belle is still hacking up cud. it seems its only the grass hay. so for now she will have to stay on alfalfa and a senior horse pellet. she loves the rich diet. i think as the grass comes on she will do better. hope everyone has a fine farm girl day. i am wondering too where did susie go? i was thinking she had gotten a new cow to milk. wondering how its going? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  07:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Krisitn- I hope you get those pigs loaded. I always hate loading day.
Sherrye- congrats on the new kids. My one doe shows no signs. Just goes into labor!

We bought fencing for 3 of the new 5 acers. It will have high tension fence only. It is for the horses and the cows. They will only be 5 miles down the road, so it will be easy to take care of them. The cows are on some freinds land right now. He is letting us keep them there until we get closed on the other land. The horses are here, and let me tell you I will like it when it is just goats and chikens here.
We just put in our our first order of 50 meat birds. They will be here in may. We get them from the 4-H poultry club. I am getting ready to order my new layers as well.
I have been making cheese on Sundays! I love it! Now to master soap!
Well I need to drive and check on cows, one is due any minute and with our storms this morning, we may just have a calf!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile
good morning angie, sounds like you are deep into spring farming. let us know if you have a baby please. it is so exciting to me after fencing and working to let the stock in. they always run the perimeter right away to check their new digs. i hope you found a calf this am. hows the milking going? i forgot if you use a machine? i just am so in love with raw fresh cow milk. i drink pure cream yum yum. papa hates raw cold cream. i have not kidded out any of these does before. so each one is a new surprise. i know marilyn is close enough to need a stall at night. so today i will set up her hut and heat lamp. i use a electric heating pad on each kid when i know mom is getting done cleaning. i then do have heat lamps in their huts. so very cozy in case i am not there. i am so wanting fryer chicks. just not ready yet. do you sell fryers angie. i do and we use a lot and i use them for barter also. well gotts check the barn and milk belle. happy days to all my friends sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  4:20:25 PM  Show Profile
No calf. I was so thinking it would be here. There is some question on to the due date. So I would say from now to the first week in May. She is a miniature hereford. She is always easy to calf and a good mom. She is like 13 so she has experience.
I am milking two times a day by hand. I do not use a machine.I am getting close to half a gallon at each milking. I have made cheese three times now.I am also collecting cream this week for making butter.
We have not sold any fryers yet. But we are wanting to. We do it mainly for our family use right now. I can and freeze chicken meat. We use a lot of it. I am hoping to sell fryers, soap and some farm produce this year.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:05:09 AM  Show Profile
anfie, you will be a busy girl with all those birds. i hope kris that you have the pigs figured out. the sun is out so lots of work to do today. the new milk cows comwes in the next day or two. my tests came back. i have 2 cows that are A-2 and one that i sold. cocoa i made an agreement with the folks. i get the first calf. so i am excited. my other cows were A-1 A-2 so if i breed to an A-1 2 bull i can have a 50 percent chance of throwing A-2 calves. this is a very good thing. so sadie and millie are A-2. i will bring them in from pasture and train them. sadie was my first pick and now she is A-2 also. gotta check my animals. happy days here today. hope you all have a fine farm girl day. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:54:37 AM  Show Profile
It is such a sunny day. I am so happy Spring is here. I know we will get some more cold and even that white stuff. I am betting that calf wont come for another week or so. I can ring her tail, but when she is close she holds her tail to the side. She is not doing that right now. All the kids are out side playing and enjoying the spring air. I have been somewhat successful at milking Twinkle. I can milk her, but her kids keep squeezing into her stall at night so she really never has to much milk. I will keep at it. And soon those boys will be too big to get in between the boards. I am hoping to start working on getting all the kids lead trained. It will amke them a lot more sellable and if they are still here we will use them for show. Well lunch is almost done. And then desk work to do!
Have a great day all!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  4:37:02 PM  Show Profile
It is a sad day... We were out doing chores, my one buck got out into the horse pen. I asked my mom to leave him be. She didn't. He was always a very timid goat. He laid down. She drug him by his horns,and she snapped his neck. I know this is sad, but I wonder if her hatered towards me didn't aid in her aggression towards my boy. I am having a really hard time dealing with this. I never ever would have drug him. Nor did he know what to do. I pray he can forgive me, I let her in there. I let her touch him. I am really upset. Please pray for me and my poor boy Casper. My he rest in peace and not remember his last moment of life being drug. My oldest DD rushed to him as he was screaming and passed away. I am sorry I have nothing else to say. Can I banish her from my farm yard, even since she lives here and has a horse here? Is that wrong of me to feel that way?

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly

Edited by - amomfly on Apr 12 2011 4:41:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page