Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  05:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Angie, go to hhtp://www.katiegirlkate.blogspot.com. Then go down about halfway to March 23's post called Nip it in the bud. She shows how they burn the horns of kid goats. Very intesting. I think I will try that on the bucks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 02 2011 05:02:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  07:44:23 AM  Show Profile
i tried it kris. i couldnt get there. i would like to see it. so sophie left last night. cocoa leaves i think monday. i am testing the herd first for the a2. then choose out of the rest. i have one short legged dexter. i am testing her for chondro. also for a2. this way i know what i have. now i am hoping sadie will be a2. we shall see. she lets me rub her all over like maizie did. so i am hoping when i bring her in she will be sweet. after kidding she will come for halter and lead training. boy angie i just hate the horn thing. i dont think i could do it myself. it scares me to death. the thing jake says is the skull is so thin. i am afraid i would go too deep. so when you girls try it,let me know. yesterday i cleaned the barn out. new shavings too. so all 3 does due have their own hut and area. pending marilyns hut. esther is not till fall if she took. then by to the buck. if our sun holds i am letting the babies out today for a bit with their mom betty. it should be fun. its their first day out of barn. belle is holding her own so far. we shall see if there is cud on the barn floor today. well big day ahead. so hoping everyone has a farmgirl day where ever you are. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Ok, just try going to the top tool bar and type in katiegirl. I tried that and it comes up then. Sorry. I dn't know why I can't get that right.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  05:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin, I found it. Dawn burned mine but didn't do a figure 8. Just until the copper rings developed. She did do a bit longer on my two I am looking ay leaving bucks. I do not think I am ready, [maybe never]. to do it myself.
I will have to post pics of their copper rings.
Ruth is getting better. She drank two bottles of predialte[sp], yesterday. And she had 2 cc's of kaopectate. She is getting more solid poo, she is still not like it should be, so we will keep up what we are doing.
I got a new stanchion built by my hubby yesterday. I will have to take pics and post about it later.
Gotta make breakfast.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  07:31:52 AM  Show Profile
angie, i am glad to hear your baby is better. it is so worrisome when they are down. so sandy must be holding her own kris. no babies from her yet? no babies here yet either. i need to go check. the folks are picking up cocoa at 10. i am a little sad. she is buttercups baby. buttercup is the cow that had cancer. i get the calf if they follow through with me. i have a gal now that owes me 2 kids. sunny today, i am glad. my kids are coming to dinner.hi candy, how are things in your neck of the woods. happy days on the farm sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, new here but know some of you from the sheep forum.

I have a question. We are new to starting with adding cattle. The price is fairly high compared to years past, like everything, but in line with what it is going for now. Gosh hope that makes sense! Anyway do you think they will continue to go up or come down this year, just your thoughts. Oh we have 2 black angus 10 month olds on hold for the day.

Thanks
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  07:15:21 AM  Show Profile
hi rae,,, how are you today? glad you stopped by. here in oregon prices for calves are high right now. the price does go up and down. i think its a fickle number. it all seems to boil down to the moment your ready to buy or sell. it depends so much on quality of animal. i just sold sophia bluebelle for $950. at 7 months. halter and lead trained. mini jersey crossed with full jersey. she was quality. i wanted to keep her. i sell what will help pay for the farm. i bought 2 calves this year. i sold 2 heifer calves this year. i sold for more than i bought. so that is good. i am testing all my cows and bull for A-2 gene. i think in the future there will be a market for the A-2 beef dairy multi-purpose cow on small farms. they require less land, food shelter size, and i can handle them easily. so my mid size jersey belle will calve in sept. she is bred to a white park dexter cross. i so hope its a girl. if its a bull i will raise and train and use for breeding here. then at 2 1/2 i will sell him. the bulls can get hard to handle when about 3. bullseye bill is about that age now. i will use this fall. then rent him out or sell or turn into sausage. theres a few girls here with cows . i look forward to reading all the posts. anything cow or goat and i am all ears. learning as we go here. so i am going to go check the critters. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rae. I have no idea what cows are going for right now. We have an auction place in Chattanooga on Mondays. I see cattle trailors going by all day. I'll have to ask my friend up the road. He had a dairy and sold all his dairy cows and went to beef cattle. He did say he's not making any money on them yet. I told him he needs to go to all grass fed and he could get between $3.50-7.00 a pound. That's what the meat goes for. That's grass fed beef. And of course it could be totally different way up in MN. than down here in Ga. I would think that if you started out with yearling pregnant heifers it would be cheaper? I have had my cow Mazie since she was just a day old. She'll be 3 in July. Just had her 1st calf 3 weeks ago. It's a long process, but calves would be way cheaper to start with. And I had my goats so they got goat milk which didn't cost me anything. And they only got minimal grain when they were weaning. Then just grass and hay after that. SO I really don't have much money in her at all. Plus she was free! My SIL drove the cattle to the slaughterhouse and sometimes the cows would calve on the way. I got 4 calves that way. I am thinking about seeing if I can get some more calves. My goats will be in milk in a few weeks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile
well, i still have no new babies. she was due 2 days ago. see how much i know.lol well she IS prego i know since she has a bag now that is huge. she likes her bed and stall. i am putting mary up at night these days too. so belle is holding her own. i find cud about every 2 days. she is mostly still on senior horse and alfalfa. so far so good. we are going to drag the fields today. the irrigation comes on in a week. so we chased cows yesterday. we pulled tail hairs to see if any are A-2. i am hoping, but who knows. it takes about 10 days to get my results back. i have 2 i couldnt get. mr. bullseye bill and maddie. when she calves i can get tail hairs then from her. the baby boer kids are so cute and sweet. i need to post pics again. where are all our goat and cow folks? must be busy with spring in the air. hope all is well for everyone.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  08:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! Well guess I will be joining in this forum as we will be getting 2 black angus heifers for sure possibly more. WIll be doing this in the next week or so!!! Talked to BIL this morning and he is interested in milk cow, which I wanted also so ... will see what happens here!

Anyone with black angus how old do you first start with breeding them?

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  09:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
catching up on the post to see how everyone is. My kidding season is over.My last 2 does that kidded that were so big had just one big doe apiece. They have a little extra weight or should I say fat on them. These does have never had singles so it was a huge suprise. But thats okay I am stealing some of the milk to supplement my new bottle babies.

Just got back from Kansas with my new buck/doe kids. I will never make that trip again. Left Saturday morning and was back by 9:30 Sunday night.That trip really took the wind out of me. It was 13 hours total with stops. Trying to bottle babies at the rest stop was quite interesting. People sure were staring and one person was video taping. I hope it doesn't end up on utube.........lol.
One of the little buck kids is totally black with a white tip on his tail. He was born during a blizzard so i decided to call him the Blizzard of Oz. I am still working on names for the rest.

Sounds like everyone is super busy with spring and the new life it brings.Good to read the thread and see what everyone is up too. Hope everyone is having descent weather.
The wind was horrible and Kansas and I think it followed me home. Its never stopped blowing. At least today the rain stopped.

Anyway I am off to bottle the new kids. They sure are a bunch of punchers. I have to hold the bottles with an iron grip. They keep cutting my fingers and hands with their bottom teeth when they punch.They mean business when they are taking their bottles.You all have a good day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  10:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I have a red angus. Mazie will be 3 years old in July and she just had her first calf 3 weeks ago. I waited til she was 2 to breed her. With Jersey dairy cows, they are bred at a year or so. But beef cattle need to be older and bigger. And be bred to a small bull the first time. That's just what I was told anyway. I just wanted Mazie to be older and be as big as she was going to get when I bred her. I will breed her back in Dec. so that will be 9 months since she calved and she will calve again in 18 months in Sept. 2012. That's when her bull (steer) calf will be ready to go to the butcher. 18 months seems to be when I take my cows to butcher. And I talked to my friend yesterday that has cattle. he said they go by weight and that 500-600 pounders are going for about $1.50 a pound here. Then it goes up from there. So they are high here too. great for the sellers now and not so much for the buyers. But that's the way it goes. I hope you get a dairy cow, too.

Sherrye, I hope you get some cute little kids soon. Who is it you are waiting on?

Linda, we had some pretty scary storms here last night. I went to town this morning and there was a big ole tree right across the road that had already been sawed through for traffic. It was really scary. Loud thunder and lightening cracking all over. The wind was the worst part. There was stuff hitting my house. I am so glad you made it home ok with the kids. It's always fun to see people's expressions when they see goats in the back of my trooper. Especially Lamancha goats. I want to see some pictures of the boys. I love that name.

I guess we have a few weeks to go for my does to kid. I can hardly wait that long. I think Sandy will go early. She has some discharge all the time. Not alot but some. And she is huge. And really low to the ground too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  11:09:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris, that is what hubby thought to wait until 2 for the beef and had heard probably a smaller bull as well. He wasn't sure so told him I would check with the experts He grew up with dairy so working on that end as well.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile
howdy girls, here on our place we breed our dexters at 1 yr. it does depend on their size also. i have 5 calves i will breed end of june for spring calves. all of them are a yr. old now. so will be 15 months old when i breed them. they are beefers. just small beef happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  05:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. It's beautiful here today. But cold. It was in the low 30's last night. This weather is crazy. Silly April. It does not know what it wants to be.

So when I let Sandy and Abby in for breakfast, I noticed lots of hay stuck to Sandy's rear. I pulled it off and there is white goo in it. She is almost ready to have all those kids I do believe. Real soon. I hope she waits a little longer til those stinkin' pigs are gone next Monday. And til it gets a little warmer. Supposed to be in the 80's in a few days. Silly April.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Well good evening ladies!
Sherrye- any babies yet?

Kristin- I hope your doe does hold out, but as we all know you never can tell!

Rae-We usually waited until 1 to breed so delivery took place at close to 2. That is Miniature Herefords, so a little different.

I have been really sick for days now. I am hoping I am on the mend now. I think all this sweating means my fever has broke.
All the goats are good here. I had some bad days with my little bottle fed Ruth. She just couldn't get rid of that darn case of diarrhea. I ended up getting her on an antibiotic. Now she is improving!
I need to stop being lazy and got to bottle feeding all seven of these kids and milking. But I have one doe that is a real pain to milk.
Have any of you ladies ever just had to let a doe raise her kids and not milk her. She is a perfect bred doe. Top breedlines. But man milking is a pain! She is a pain to show also.
What do you ladies think? Should I work on walking on lead,showing and then next year work on milking? I think I have ruined her. She is spoiled! I will not do that again. I must get serious and work these goats if I am gonna show them.
Well I must wrap up my time here. Rest is my friend right now!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:12:14 PM  Show Profile
well darn angie, so sorry your sick. hope you are better soon. i just read your posts on your blog. i still have no new babies yet. ginger is for sure getting close. her bag is fuller every day. i am checking her every few hours now. she does not want to come out of her stall now. the other girls are getting bigger. belle is holding her own. i am wondering if you all think i should stop the babies from jumping on me. they do it all the time. is that ok? or should i stop them? i am happy sadie is holding back. i see no mucous on ginger. i bet sadie has hers first. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:42:17 PM  Show Profile
SHerrye, that's why I won't bottle feed kids ever again. That first time (and last time) I did it, I had 7 and they would jump all over me and knock the bottles out of my hand. They would bite my fingers. It was awful. So I thought, why am I doing this when they have perfectly good mothers that would do a better job than I could ever do. So I never did that again. I do start weaning them at 8 weeks. So I still get milk.

Angie, I hope you feel better soon. And it sounds like you have some stubborn goat issues. And she winning. I told Hannah once when she was having trouble with milking one of hers, you cannot let them win. Once they know they can get you to stop, they will always win. You have to let her know you are the boss. If you have to you can hobble her back legs for awhile. It won't hurt her and after awhile she will stop fighting you. And if she knows that she will only get food in the stanchion, she'll settle down. It just takes persistance. And lots of patience. And some leg smacks too. Keep trying and don't give up!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  05:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I am having to bottle feed the baby that my doe rejected and I hate it! I am nothing but a giant bottle to him! LOL!! Whenever I go in the pen he is underfoot (literally!) and trying to nurse my jeans, my jacket, my fingers, etc. This is the first time I have had to bottle feed one and I hope I never have to again!

Kris, you are right about not letting them win. If they get away with something just once they think it will work every time! Sometimes these darn goats are too smart! Angie, keep working with her and you can change her. Like Kris says, it just takes a LOT of patience!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the info. i am not bottle feeding them. its when i go in their area they jump on me. i know they are playing. it would be to much if they were big. so should i smack them lightly and say no? do they learn this now at 4 weeks? they are sooo cute i can hardly keep from squeezing them. betty is am excellent mom. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Candy and Kristin, I will continue to work on Twinkle. She is deffinatly the hardest goat I have ever had. So if I amm understanding you both, a smack is ok? Now with my older doe Tango, if you yell, she gets timid and then doesn't want to be near you. I have not bottle feed any of the buck kids and they all suck on everything, jump all over us and are really thinking we are food. So now I wonder if this is because we are out there so much. I am going to start bottle feeding the three bucks and let Twinkle keep feeding hers. I will be excited to see how this goes. I will have to share the out come with you all.
Sherrye- I think they were both telling me about not bottle feeding. I am anxious to see what everyone tells you about the jumping. All my kids do that.

Have a blessed day.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  09:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Angie, what I have done in the past is just a light smack on the leg they are lifting and a sharp "NO!". That usually works. I have had to hold a leg and milk with one hand. Or hold the bucket and milk with the other hand. You have to have really good eye-hand coordination to see when a lift is coming so you can grab the bucket. Sometimes Sandy still lifts a leg and I have to do this. I have to be really calm in the milkroom. If they sense any irritation then they get antsy. Sandy has kicked the bucket a few times and that is not a good thing. She is a Nubian and is a nervous goat. Abby, the Lamancha, is not. She is very laid back and just doesn't care what's going on around her as long as she has food to eat.

They are both getting bigger every day. Sandy's udder is filling out nicely. 11 days to go til they are due. And 3 1/2 days til the pigs go bye bye! I just picked them an armload of nice bif juicy clover to eat. they love it. They are so good. And I will miss them but will love the bacon more. Ew, bacon!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:34:47 PM  Show Profile
just wanted to stop by and say...........I am milking again. Connie, my jersey cross, had a little boy yesterday. She is a heifer, so milking is a challange. She is finally standing for her little guy to eat. mom is Connie, baby is Blyde. Ya my husband came up with that name. Can't wait till I can use her milk. michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  2:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Aw, he is so cute. What is Connie crossed with? She looks black, so maybe Angus? I bet you can't wait for that milk. When will you start? I have tried to milk Mazie but Chuck always beats me to it. I have gotten a little and it's so good. Congrats on the cute little guy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  3:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Very cute Michele Can't wait until we get started in that end of our farming!! Not sure about the Sheep fair, hoping and will keep you posted.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page