Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  8:31:07 PM  Show Profile
the joy in that boys face is wonderful. leanne your cow is so cute. i am shopping. i think i found another cow in idaho. cute pics

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  05:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Susie, I use dish detergent and warm water to wash udders with. I have a bunch of cheap wash rags, that I use. I use a teat dip, when I don't have a calf on the cow. I also use bag balm on the teats when needed. Milking is a committment. I milk twice a day starting about 12 hours after she freshins. I have shared milked. Meaning once the calf got about a month old, I would seperate at night, then I would milk in the morning. I usually wean about 4 months old. Then I go back to twice a day milking. I did try once a day one time. I just thought the milk tasted different. I didn't care for it. But you do what works best for you. there is alot of info on http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cgi If you have never milked before, go to this site. It will answer alot of questions.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  1:05:53 PM  Show Profile
I just counted the days from when I first got the buck. Right now would be only 120 days. April 19th will be 150 days. I just do not see these 2 does going that much farther. Sandy's belly is almost dragging the ground she's so big. That's why I looked at the calendar and started counting days. That's one more month. I just took pictures and will try to figure out how to load them into Photo bucket now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey, where are all my goatie friends? Must not be anything going on in the barnyard these days. Or else alot is going on. That must be it. I sure hope there are lots of cute little goat kids running around amusing everyone. I can hardly wait for mine. They are getting bigger every day. I was bringing them in for their evening meal and Abby got stuck going in the door. She's like 4 feet wide and has at least 18 babies in her. So she can't fit like she used to anymore. She thought she could. I thought she was going to push about 5 of them out trying to get in. She can hardly walk. Well, until she's heading for the milk room for more food. Then she flies. I can't imagine how she does it. She is so funny.

So how is everyone? Are there any new babes? I would love to see some pictures. I am taking lots. But need my daughter the computer whiz to download them for me. I have the picture thing figured out here but not from the camera to here yet. I need written instructions and to be shown how. So can't wai to show off my girls.

Mazie and Chuck are doing great. Chuck is growing so fast. I have got to get him castrated soon before he's too big. I could go ahead and band him but would rather not. I think I'll call a vet to come do the cut and pull. It shouldn't cost too much. So I thought Sunday night I would put Chuck on the pen and milk Mazie in the morning.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  6:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Well good evening my goat friends! We have been so busy! I have been milking twice a day trying to get milk for my Ryth. Which is now eating so much that my girls with nursing boys cant keep up. So I had to get replacer. I mix it with the milk from the gilrs. It gave her the runs at first, but now she is good. I let her out with the "goats" for several hours daily. Then we go get her and she downs like 7-9 ouces! It is all a good thing. I worry having her inside is making her to spoiled. She loves people more then goats!

Kristin- she [Ruth] was only nursed once in the first hour by mom when I held mom. She has tried to warm up to her mom but her mom wants nothing to do with her. So I milked her mom every hour for two days trying to get as much colosrtum as I could. Then I started milking Tango [my good milker] too. Just to get enough milk. But atthe age of just over a week she began to drink more then my two girls could produce. So now I have added replacer.

This week end we will begin keeping kids off of moms at night for milking purposes. I can not wait for the milk, but I am feeling bad for the kids!

How are all of your goats, kids and farm animals?

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  06:12:30 AM  Show Profile
i too have a goat with 18 babies in her. lol ginger looks like she will blow up. i bet the la mancha babies will be so cute. i sat with bettys kids last night when i got home. they climbed all over me. smelling chewing so cute. they love my stinky cow coat. i had it on the day they were born. so i think it is a good smell to them. can you believe how sweet baby goats are. oh my what a snuggle. my buck has rammed me a few too many times. he is going to be jerky. i meant to send him yesterday when the pigs went. well i forgot to tell them. i was gone, so hes still here for now. i need to check esthers cycle first. need to be sure she is bred. i am excited to see pics kris. i love seeing where folks live and their critters. your garden looks so nice. when i am milking i use planet liquid dish and a dab of vinegar in my water. i have been doing this for 2 years. works great for me for teats. what are you guys doing with all your milk? happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:01:48 AM  Show Profile
I hope my goats wait til after the 11th to kid. I am taking the pigs in that day. But Sandy is having some discharge. Not all the time but some. They aren't due til the 19th and after. But I will need that stall for the goats. It will have to be totally cleaned out and refreshed after pigs. Man, those pigs are nasty! I am putting hay down over the poop. And after the pigs are gone I will leave the gate open so chickens can go in and scratch around for me. Then I will clean.

This morning as I was giving Mazie some hae I saw 2 dogs in their pasture. I got Bubba and a rake and we went after them. Bubba chased them out. They belong just up the road. But I haev seen them across the road in the horse pasture chasing horses. They might not be around too much longer if they keep this up. ANd these dogs keep having more puppies every few months it seems. Don't know why people let that happen. Get 'em fixed!

It's a beautiful day here. I went walking this morning and then got a bunch of day lillies and iris from a friend's yeard to plant here in my little flower bed. So gotta go out and get that done. Then rain this weekend. Sherrye, that picture was from a few years ago. I hope it looks that good this year. It's just been turned. Now have to wait for a nice dry week to have it tilled. I wish I could find some horses to plow it up. I will start looking around and put an ad on Craig's list.

Angie, the kids will be fine. Just keep them all together. They will get used to it also after awhile and just go in their little stall for the night anyway. Get ya some milk! I can hardly wait for some good fresh goat milk. Mine dried up so early this time. I usually dry them up 2 months before kidding but they dried themselves up about 3 months ago.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh man Kris, I would be killing me some dogs! I hate irresponsible dog owners!

Sherrye- my parents' have mini herfords and the one cow is huge! She is not due till May! But I swear she is as big as a house already.

Well off to check on mom and kids. My one doe with triplets was so hard with milk this am [first night with no kids] I could hardly milk. I want to check and be sure the boys got her milked, if not I will do it again! I do not want any issues.
Lots of yard work going on today.

Enjoy the "spring"!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  2:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Angie, I don't remember a doe having triplets. When did that happen? I know the first 2 had twins. How are they all doing? Are you getting much milk yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  7:58:20 PM  Show Profile
well girls you will not believe what i did. i sold isabellas calf. sophia blue belle. she is 7 months. i sold her for $950.00 when i am ready it will pay for my new cow. i am hoping to get belle dried off so she can be well and raise a calf. i dont expect her to milk too. so i need a milk cow. so by selling sophie i can dry belle off and still have a milk cow. the one i am looking at is registered ersey giving 3 gallons a day at oad milking. so sad but happy too. she went to a young girl using her for 4 h. pretty cool, they have enough money too to take good care of her. so different days here. they pick her up friday afternoon. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  8:05:02 PM  Show Profile
i am so excited i forgot to even comment on your goats angie. can you please post pics. i love pics. betty had triplets too. she is feeding them well. they are eating goat chow too. kris i would shoot me some dogs. how scary is that? how is sandy today? is she getting close. i hope she holds off for you. susie, are you getting your milking questions figured out. when are you having milk? and hannah one more time your babies are so cute. are you gonna test for cae or not? just curious. i paid 250.00 for betty boop and she ended up being cae. it bummed me out. but i love her anyway. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, that's fantastic! Good for you. When will you be getting your new cow? She sounds just perfect. Sandy is due April 19th. Her tail bone is getting looser each day. And they are both filling out in the udder every day as well. So it's getting sooner. I am getting excited and anxious. Every time they are late to the milkroom to eat I think they might have had their kids. But it's still early yet. I paid $300 for Abby and she is CAE neg. also. She's 9 years old now and shows no signs of hurting anywhere. Still gets up quickly and walks good. She gives the best milk and is SO easy to milk. And fast. Has the best udder and teats I have ever seen or milked. I have not seen those dogs over here since that day. How are yours goats?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  4:14:58 PM  Show Profile
hey kris, i gotta go milk, but i wanted to say. i am looking for a different cow now. so your girl is due on my sons bday. cool. i have ginger locked up. she is due any guess?? lol who knows. so i know she is close so keeping her in. talk to you all later. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile
So I am getting a little over 3/4 of a gallon in three milkings. I do not milk them all out. I leave some for the kids, right now. Soon I will ask for more. Let me tell you ladies, milking my two one year old does is a little challenging. Their teats are not the same as my 5 year old doe!
Here are the pics again, I have got to do new ones.
So here is Twinkle and all three of her buck kids, O'Ryan, Twilight,and Eclipse!

Then there is Tango and her two bucks, Lil Joe and Dillan!

Now here is Cotton she had twins; one buck, Daniel and a doeling Ruth!I do not have a pic of Daniel. Sorry I will get one.

Ruth is the pic above. She is spolied!

I am keeping all kids off moms at night, then milking. The kids have hay, and kid kibble all night, I then return moms to kids. I have begun seperating them two hours before my night milking too. All the bucks are nibbling hay, kid kibble and even minerals. So I am not to worried about getting them use to bottles. They do not like bottles. Now miss Ruth is really mostly bottle feed. She is still sleeping in the den, but spends her days outside with all the "other" goats.
I was wondering, want can I do for my doe with the tripletd. Her skin is supper dry and so are her teats. What do you ladies think this could be? And what can I do for her?
Well I am getting rierd, I am fighting a cold right now! I will post new pics soon!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  11:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
It's been awhile,sorry I haven't been around,my adoptive father passed away a couple weeks ago,he had a massive heart attack during a surgical procedure and this was while my Mom was staying with me recovering from her knee replacement surgery,it's just been hectic.
Yesterday my two Nubian does both gave birth at the same time,they were both bred on the same day and they both decided to stay consistent so one would drop a kid and then the other one alternately until I had twins from each one,from Ginnie I got a beautiful tri-colored buck with a radical paint job and a little doe who we call mini-Ginnie because she's almost exactly like her Mother and from Nellie we got a brown and white buck and a black and white buck,I'm a little dissapointed that I got mostly bucks because I had hoped for more does but they are still adorable and I'm happy to have them.
Nellie had a bit of trouble delivering,the first one was born in the diver's position but the second one came out backward and she had a bit of trouble getting his rump to pass through so I had to get a grip and push downwards on him so she could get him out,it took a little while but she eventually got him out without my having to be too invasive.
Both buck kids were really weak and she rejected them initially so I had to milk her out and then I bottle fed them some colostrum mixed with coffee,they were extremely slack and took a long while to lift thier heads on thier own or even keep their eyes open for any length of time and I had to do a little physical therapy,getting them to stand for brief intervals and building thier strength,once the coffee got them buzzing though they took right off and eventually I was able to get her to allow them to nurse by persistently holding her and putting the teats in thier mouth,once they latched a few times she got the idea and has been taking good care of them since.
Well,this is long so I will wrap it up,I guess you all didn't need the whole birth story but I thought it was fairly eventful,there's nothing like seeing a weak babe take to life that makes you not mind having little black tar goat poos on your shirt or placenta and straw stuck to your knee as you drink cold coffee in your barn!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  05:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by RedHoopWoman

Well,this is long so I will wrap it up,I guess you all didn't need the whole birth story but I thought it was fairly eventful,there's nothing like seeing a weak babe take to life that makes you not mind having little black tar goat poos on your shirt or placenta and straw stuck to your knee as you drink cold coffee in your barn!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"

Sorry about your father! {{HUGS}} for you and your mom!

I know how you feel about all the "mess" from the babies, just part of being a Farmgirl!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  07:25:21 AM  Show Profile
wow kathryn. i love hearing your stories. i also always learn something new. i would never have thought of adding coffee. so smart. well i would be glad to have your boys here. i am hoping for bucks bucks and more bucks. today i need to make another birthing area. those little kids can get through anything. i am also well enough that i may put the kids on the lawn with mom for awhile. nice day coming on. so ginger is going to kid any minute.well thinking of that i am going to run and check her. be right back.LOL

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn- I am so sorry to her of your loss. I can not imagine all you have been thru.
I love to hear the whole birth story! It was great.
I truly have learned how great cold coffee in a cold barn is watching the new kids!
Congrats on the births!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  7:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Katheryn, so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I lost my dad when I was just 18. I miss him alot even now. I'm always glad to hear others stories of their goats births. There's nothing like a goat birth to make a person all happy. Even if they are bucks. Ihope the twin bucks do ok and that the doe will take good care of them. It's a good thing you were there. I think the buck I used got both my does right away. So I hope they both go close together.

Sherrye, any kids from Ginger yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  07:53:42 AM  Show Profile
well no kids here yet. ginger is progressing though. so she is the kidding pen. yesterday i cleaned everything one more time. she is digging her hole now. yesterday she wanted to stay outside on the rock mountain. i said no. she needs to have her kids in a stall area away from billy bob. so if esther does not come back in heat by the 15th hes jerky. if he thinks he wants what i have he just rams me. crazy boy. still waiting on your doe sandy. how are your pigs doing. they leave soon i remember. i found some weiners here for 50.00 each for my next batch. so i sold cocoa yesterday. so i sold sophie for 950.00 and cocoa for 400. plus i get the calf from cocoa. so not bad money. it will help me buy a milk cow eventually. i decided to have all my cows tested for the A-2 gene before i sell any more stock. belle is still holding her own. so today will be the deciding factor. she ate unchopped hay and alfalfa last night. we see today if she throws it up. i hope not. she is still losing weight. but really seems better though. KATHRYN, so sorry about your dad. i miss mine still too. sending hugs sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  08:35:47 AM  Show Profile
Good morning... nearly afternoon! How is everyone?
We are getting busier and busier. I can not imagine how we aill be doing all of our regular stuf this year. It makes me begin to re think my priorities.
Any way... I have a question. My dd [youngest] was in charge of feeding kids yesterday.Now Ruth is on total milk replacer, and the others are on limited access to moms and offered milk replacer bottles in the am and pm. Now my question is this, My dd was to lazy to make the milk replacer. So she used our goats milk to feed Ruth yesterday. Now today Ruth has the squirts. She also had her [all kids] horns burned yesterday.
Should I worry already. Is it stress, switch in food? Is there something I can give her?

Any advice is appreciated

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  4:33:49 PM  Show Profile
hi angie, they are so sensitive. geez. i loaded sophie into the horse trailer. i shut the door climbed out and she pooped. so i was told by jake my vet to give a little pepto bismal. the other girls may know some thing better. i have had success with it. probably stress related. i know you know what your doing. i was wondering did he put them to sleep to do it. i know jake said he always does. some dont. just curious. i hope the kid is better tonight. let us know sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  5:07:32 PM  Show Profile
He didn't knock them out. She says burning them off is not that bad. I disagree. I just don't have many options here. I am keeping an eye on them all. Some are fine, some are slow and get cold easy.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  5:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Angie, when my goats have runny poop, I give them Kaopectate. It works wonders. I think switching feeds and the milk and the stress might make her have runny poop. But I always keep a bottle of Kao handy. Just in case. And you could give her some plain yogurt or if you have kefir, some of that.

Sherrye, you sound awful busy there. You are doing good with the sales of your animals. That's what I do. Sell some to buy more. I am trying to save egg money for sheep. Not having much luck though because I always seem to need it for something. Like I am trading 6 gallons of whey for the pigs for 6 dozen eggs. I sure hope I get some money from the other people for all I have spent on these pigs. I was just adding up all the money I have spent. Just me. $254. on feed (that's counting $35.00 for pig)plus 2 lbs sausage and 6 dozen eggs for 11 gallons of whey. And the other people have bought some grain too. I'll have to see if they have been keeping track. they actually should pay for these last 3 bags of grain. Anyway, 10 more days to go!!!!

I am still waiting on goatie babies too. They have a few more weeks to go. Their tails are getting looser every day and their udders are getting bigger. I can hradly wait for goat milk. But that will be another month at least. I think Sat. night I will put Chuck up and milk Mazie on Sunday morning. I won't have anything to do that early. I'm gonna try anyway. Wish me luck.

Almost forgot to say that IF I happen to get any does, I am taking them to my vet friend who did Sandy's horns. She does put them to sleep. But she did a greta job on Sandy. So I will let her do the doelings. I am keeping them, IF I get any. I am still hoping for at least ONE! It's been 3 years for both these does since they have had a doe. So it's time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 01 2011 5:21:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  7:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin and Sherrye- I think I will giver her some kao, and keep an eye on her. I will have to ask around for different ways to have done the burning. Again, Thank you! I need to get some kefir too.
Well got to go.
Thanks
Angie

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page