Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning to you kris, that. so sorry you were not sleeping. i hatei bet when mzizies milk really comes in she will have more. i sure hope so. i am glad she lets you milk her. the babies are so cute.. i am putting ginger in a stall at night right now. she is looking really fat or really pregnant.lol we shall see.i let the babies out in a bigger area of the barn yesterday. they were running jumping so sassy. i think my little girl is going to the neighbors. i have 1 and a half pigs sold. need to sell 2 more now. they are hge. shopping for my next ones now. iwe are going to get 3 this time i think. 5 is just too many for their area.
Susie when i wash my equipment i use planet liquid dish soap. i then soak mine in a strong solution of vinegar. i am always careful to rinse the vinegar. there was one time when i did not rinse good enough. when i milked it turned to cheese in my milk can. i also have a dish washer with a sanitizing option i always use. they do make a dish soap with chlorine in it to sanitize. hiegger carries it. i just use household vinegar.
I hope all the new babies are good today. we had a farm tour again yesterday. they are coming back to work and learn more. young folks want to live on the earth naturally. she was so excited to taste raw real milk. we have had some rain so few farm jobs getting done. i mucked the barn with the tractor yesterday. there is always poop to scoop. hoping you all have a fine farmgirl day happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  06:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Susie, I use 7th Generation dish detergent and hot water. It is unscented. ANd every other day I run everything through the dish washer.

And to upload pictures, up in the left corner where you write your post, there is a little yellow box with an arrow. You click on there and go to your photos. I hope someone else can tell you the rest. I can't figure it out myself or I would have tons of pictures on here. You can go to Across the Fence and ask. SOmeone will help you there. Alee is real good to help. Good luck.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  08:06:03 AM  Show Profile
What about if it is a udder the belly Surge milker how do you clean that

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  6:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to jump in here, Susie, I use dairy utensil cleaner. I get it at a farm store. I also use a milk stone remover, once a month. I take apart my milker completely every morning. Brush all parts. At night I don't take the inflations off, leave it on the lid, and wash. I too use a surge.
Kris you may have to pen your calf up for 12 hours or so, to get some milk for yourself. Sometimes it seems they learn quickly how to empty momma, just before you get out there to milk.
Happy Milking
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:34:35 PM  Show Profile

Oh my goodness, I think I have got this to work! This is Mazie when she was little.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 16 2011 8:37:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile

I think this is Sandy in 2008 with her doe kid.

And this is Abby with her's. Same year. Check out that udder. That's why I got her. Great milker.

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 16 2011 7:41:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile

Abby and Sandy out back on one of our walks. Ocho is in the background. I sold her last year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 16 2011 7:56:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  8:13:39 PM  Show Profile

That's Chloe, my oldest granddaughter, herding the goats on another walk out back a few years ago.

I will get some recent pictures uploaded into the computer soon. Sorry these are older. But now I know how to put them on here!

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 16 2011 8:15:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  04:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks alot windypines I was wondering how to do it.

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  04:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Love the pictures. It sure is simple to post them now!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  04:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Michele, Could you give me somemore avice about milk since you use a machine. On stuff like what you clean the teats and all that stuff please thank you so much.
Susie

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Great pictures Kris, thanks for sharing!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  07:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I am not a patient person obviously. I didn't wait long enough for the image to come up on the post. This is fun. Now to learn how to get my pictures from the camera to the photoshop place.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  07:35:22 AM  Show Profile
oh yipee for pics. they are cute. good job kris. ginger looks a lot like your sandy. lisa brought me some of the milk stone cleaner yesterday. i am going to clean my jars. when i clean my eqioptment i use hot soapy water. i use a metal scrubby on the outside of the can. then after a good rinse i soak it all in a tblsp. vinegar to gallon water then rinse well. i have never had a problem with mastitus or bacteria in milk. i use a surge belly milker on belle. i used the machine on ginger the goat last year also. i love my milk machine. well ginger is surely looking bred now. so locking her up at night in a stall. sure slept late this am. susie i hope this helps you some. hope milking is going good for you. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  07:50:27 AM  Show Profile
My friend Sarah also puts the hose on the hot water faucet every day to clean it out. Don't forget to do that. When I was getting milk from a dairy we had a hose that hooked up to the tank. I had to wash it with the VERY hot water after every use. Even then one time it had maggots in it. That was not a plesant sight to see. So even soak it in some strong cleaner in a sink of super hot water to kill all germs and bugs that crawl in. Flies are realy bad around cows.

And when I wash udders, I just use the 7th Generation dish soap in a spray bottle of warm water for the goats. Then paper towels to dry them. When I milked Mazie the cow I use a bucket of warm soapy water. Sarah has water in her milk room and she just oses down the udders really good and dries them with a towel. She uses a machine too.

There are washes specifically for udders that you can order from Hoegger Supply or Jeffers but I think just an unscented soap works just as well and cheaper. If you are worried about cleanliness you can also use a little bleach. Just make sure you get it all off your equipment with really hot water. I have my hot water tank as high as it will go.

Sherrye, that was so easy after I finally figured it out. I will take more pictures and get DD to put them on photoshop so I will have recent ones soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 17 2011 08:33:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  05:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Susie, thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the same thing. I milk by hand so I wash my milk "bowls" [yes I use tall bowls since buckets are not an option with Nigerians]. I wash with a natural dish soap and a couple times a week it goes in the dishwasher. Now for udders, I use the soap and warm water and then a little chick weed salve or bag balm on the teats after. What do you ladies use on the teats afterward?

Kristin- I love the pics! Maizie is so cute! I love cows! ANd the udders on those girls are fabulous! You are a lucky lady!

Everyone here is doing good. I have been taking the girls and their kids out into thier pasture during the day. This alows a lot of play time. My two younger does are doing a lot of screaming during this time. I think this is just them being insecure. They are new moms with new kids and they are scared. Any ideas from any of you ladies? We have been touching and handeling the kids as much as possible. I want good social animals to sell. Ruth is doing good. She hangs with the other goats during the day and then comes in at night. I am feeding her every 4 hours. She is up to 3-4 ounces now! She is grwoing good. It is so funny, lastnight she could not decide to follow me back to the house or stay out with the other goats longer. She ended up staying out for a little longer. It was funny, she ran to the goats then cried when she couldn't find me! I let her do this on her own. She is a goat first and a friend to me second.
Have a great day ladies!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  05:37:02 AM  Show Profile
When I first started milking I would spray an iodine solution on the udders after milking. But I don't do anything now after. They seem to be fine. I do squirt several times first into a bowl for the dogs and cats. Then milk.

This morning at 6:30 I was waiting on the bus with my grand who is staying here for a few weeks. I kept hearing Mazie moo several times. I just thought she must be in heat already. So just now while I was out feeding I went over because Chuck was mooing too. Now I know why. Chuck was inside the little area where I keep the hay bales and water. Mazie had rolled the round bale over by the gate and the gate had closed somehow while she was out on the other side in the pasture. So I opened the gate and she ran in and he ran to her. Just like in the movies! Then I thought, too late, that I should have milked her on one side and let him have the other side. Oh well. I will try that again. So she is not in heat after all.

I have been putting the does up front in the pasture with all the nice clover growing right now. When I go to get them they are twice as big. I can't tell how much is baby and how much is just fat from eating all day. Plus I am giving them whole corn and scratch mixed with their all grain twice a day now. They are pigs! Just a few weeks to go now.

Angie, I am so glad your little Ruth is doing so well with all the other goats. Did the mother never let her nurse? And does she know who her mother is?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile
i too am glad your little doe is better. they do look so cute when they are running around and jumping. ginger is looking more ready for kids these days. wish i had a date. those little calves can sure get around. so hippo is in heat now. she is 21 days from calving. she runs like a clock. i bet your enjoying tasting maizies milk kris. i hope you get a gallon soon. i love all my milk I am thinking maybe someone knows why belle is hacking and spitting chunks of cud. i find them in the barn. wondering if she needs some pro-bios for her rumen? any help appreciated. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  6:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, is the other post about this problem Belle has? Poor girl. She has been through so much and now this. I hope she can get over this. Did the vet say she should? And I have not gotten to have any of mazie's milk. Chuck is a milk hog. Little buggar. If I had thought to go get a bucket this morning before putting him back with his mom (which was an accident) I could have milked one side at least. But I can wait. The grands are here this weekend so I will have to go get more milk again tomorrow. That will be 3 gallons this week. Man, these people like real milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  6:32:49 PM  Show Profile
yes its belle, i also had the boer goats dehorned. wow i learned a lot. he said it is harder to do goats than calves. skin is thinner and more risk. he put them to sleep. numbed the spot they still cried. well i have been hurt from my buck lately. he does not mean to. i am clumsy and he hooks me. so i decided when i saw they were horned to have them removed. glad i did but sad for them and stressful. lisa helped me and ake. i wasnt much good. worried about belle watching my babies burn. very mixed feelings on this subject. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  6:36:02 PM  Show Profile
oh glad you have the grands. they are so fun. i am shoppping for a new cow. gotta have milk. if belle lives i will dry her off. so need new cow need my milk. i would be making chuck share. supply and demand. you need to demand more so her production will go higher. just a thought. even if you just get a quart. ask for it she will make more. going to bed sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  11:43:46 AM  Show Profile
thought it would be fun to practice pics again. so hear is betty boop. she has 3 babies. i will post later. ginger is due now. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  4:50:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, what's the animal to the left of Betty? Looks like a goat. How's Belle? I hope she is ok and gets through this. If not, I know you will do what you have to do for her. I hope you will find another cow to milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  5:07:38 PM  Show Profile
hi kris, that is ebony, i call her ebbie. she is another rescue. she creaks when she walks. she is bred back. vet jake said she could handle it now. when she came she was with marilyn. they were dumped at a rabbit rescue. old old people lost their home. so sad. that was a year ago. i saw the rabbit rescues plea for help. she knew nothing of goats. they were wild and scared when they came. now so sweet and endearing ebbie has an abcess on her throat. i posted about it a while back. vet thinks she is ok with it for now. she came that way. so belle had senior horse food and alfalfa pellet and molasses. then she licked up the alfalfa leaves. she is eating and drinking. i am hopeful. thanks for all the help. i have her remedies. so we shall see what tomorrow brings. thanks for asking kris. i posted her pic for you to see on her post. are you having fun with grands? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  8:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals. Cute pictures Kris!! They are just lovely:) Angie do you make your own salve? What is chickweed good for? When I clean the cows udders I just use really hot soapy water. Afterwards I put some salve on them that I make myself. Its one that I use for just about anything right now lol! Do you ladies give your cows or goats herbs or natural supplements to help with production and for general health?

This is my Sassafrass in August.

This is my son when he first got to hold Bella our goat...this is when she was just a baby!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page