Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I have never had that happen either. Have you been able to check her out to see if she's been hurt in some way? Is she a bottle kid or still on the momma? She could have a painful unseen injury. Or something internal that is causing her pain. You might want to take her to a vet to get checked out just for peace of mind. I hope you figure this out. That is strange for her to do this out of the blue like that. But maybe just a phase.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn-I agree with everything Kristin said. I had a bottle reared doe and a moma reared doe, I bought last year. The bottls feed one did kinds go thru this but she was like 8-12 weeks. I hope you figure it out. And yes they are all Nigerians! I love them. Their "grandma" is a great milker! She has won second in 4-H fairs against Alpines and Saanena!

So now on to my news... Yes my last doe kidded this am! It was a hard labor. She had both babies coming at once. I had to figure out who was who and get the hind feet in and the front feet and head out. I did do it. But man was I scared. When the girl came out she was slow to go. The vet had been called when I found her with both kids coming together. By the time the vet got her, both kids where on the ground. I had been working on the little doe kid for some time trying to get her to breath. She finally did breathe and is now eating and doing ok. Mom is not wanting her. I treid the vet rubbed after birth on her. It didn't help. Not to mention she was having a hard time getting warm. So we waited an hour and she was still struggling. So she is now in the house, warm and I did get her mom milked on one side so she has been working on that.I will keep milking mom foor the little girl and mom can raise the baby. So to recap... two kids... one boy we named Daniel and one girl named Ruth!
A lot going on today! So I must go!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:37:44 AM  Show Profile
i am so glad you were there for her. i am so happy to know the little one made it. it is so scary. a new baby in the house. kinda fun for sure. the snuggling is so sweet and warming to the soul. well ruth is a fine name for her for sure. happy days for you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:45:55 AM  Show Profile
Angie, the same thing happened to Suzanne on Chickens In The Road blog. One of her does didn't want anything to do with her kid. Suzanne would hold the doe and let the kid nurse. She'd do that several times a day til the doe finally let the kid nurse on it's won. But she was worried it wouldn't happen. So you might try that and see if she will accept it eventually. I am so glad they are all ok. So now you are all done with your does? And you got 5 bucks and 2 does, I think. And my friend called last night. She's the one I borrowed the buck from. Her 1st doe had twin girls. Next had twin boys. Then last night 2 more boys. She has 2 or 3 more to go. So looks like the boys are winning so far again. I still have my fingers crossed for at least 1 girl.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:43:16 AM  Show Profile
My head count is 6 boys one girl! So I think I will try that buck one more time on one doe. If he still throws more bucks then girls I think i will get rid of him. I will try to take her out in a little while. The other problem is she is struggling to stay warm. Even in the house she shivers. The vet said taht can be a problem with kids born with this kind of entaglement. She also said she proabably had limited blood flow while they were cought in the birth canal, so this contributes to her slow to start. I will keep working with her. But it make no difference to me.

Oh I hope you do get some does Kristin! I undestand!

Sherrye, I am glad I got up and went out. I was just laying down thinking, ok it wont be today. Then over the monitor I kept hearing a moise. Not a loud one, just something different. Something told me o get out there! The good Lord knows!

Well here are some pics for now, this is Ruth. She is the only one picture that is any good. I will work on more in a while!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I'm so happy to hear about and see (love the pictures) of all the new babies,the only ones I'm yet expecting are from my two Nubians and they're not due until April 2nd,one of them was confirmed as having twins,possibly triplets via ultrasound and she's my nicest Nubian doe so I'm anxious to see what I get out of her.
My little Nigerian doe is acting about the same,the only thing that has really changed lately,aside from the repeat disbudding is that I have been locking her away at nights from Momma so that I milk in the morning and then let her out in the day,I have done that with alot of kids and never had that kind of reaction though so I'm still kind of puzzled.
I have looked her over for injuries,she doesn't seem hurt anywhere so I'm going to ask my vet,he's due to come in a few days to flush my horse's eyes (he gets blocked tear ducts) so I'll be able to present the problem to him then.
Not much going on today except the same daily chores,I castrated little buck kid last night and am getting ready to disbud him today,I really hate disbudding,I only just started doing it with my goats after years of leaving them with horns on so I'm having a hell of a time with it,I don't know why I can spend a day doing ranch day work and castrate and brand calves but get rattled by disbudding these little goats,it makes no sense!
Anyways,I hope all is going well with everyone's new babies!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  4:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Angie, how is Ruth tonight? have you given her Nutradrench? I have heard that helps them alot. I have some just in case. I wish I had that last year for one of my little slow bucklings. I think that would have helped him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  9:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Long time no "see." Well alot has happened since Dec at our house. About a month ago Frappe miscarried twin bull calves on Feb 13th at about 7 months along. Poor thing was depressed for about 4 days after she had them. It was sad but two good things came out of it though. We didn't lose out on milk since I was drying Maizy up and I got to go through my first miscarriage with the cows. I've been able to learn so much since getting my first dairy cow in Feb 2010. Maizy is doing well. She is due to calve in the end of May. Her calf from this past summer is growing so much. Sassy is sweet but has a 'sassy' side to her too! Our goat Bella is so sweet. She follows me around like a dog and bellows for me when I leave the barn. This past week we started getting eggs again! One a day so far but that is better than none since we haven't had farm fresh eggs since Nov! Spring is so completely in the air and I feel my spirits lifting as I can't wait to put my bare feet in the warm earth!

Hugs to all!

Leanne
http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/ScottSun27/?action=view¤t=Pictures710.jpg

(This is a picture of Maizy and Sass the morning after her birth if you can go to the link).

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  05:17:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Leanne. I am so sorry about the calves. And twins too. But we do learn so much from things like this. It's hard but it happens. And about that Sassy calf. It really is all about the name, isn't it? You picked the right name for her. My youngest granddaughter's nickname is Sassy. Glad your getting eggs again too. Any goat kids there? And Maizy is pregnant agian? I don't remember that part. Wow. Not too much longer to go.

SO I posted on the thread about my Mazie just now if y'all want to go over there and look. I so need to post pictures. ANyway, she did all that I told her to as far as birthing and all. And a perfect morning to do it too. And it's a little black bull calf! Yay! I told her that too. She's like a pro calver already. I have sent pictures to all that I could. If anyone wants to see I guess I could send through a cell phone. You could email your #. Maybe someone could post a picture that way for me.

SO it's been a great morning so far. Beautiful day. I hope all of you have a great weekend.

Kathryn, I don't know why but I missed you post right above mine. So you are putting her up at night now? Is she with other kids? I'm glad the vet can check her out when he comes. I know what ya mean about those horns. I was going to try it myself last year with my first born buckling. I had the iron on and had the Furall and everything ready. Even the doe was ready. I got the buck and did just like I had watched for several years. It looked so easy. So I put the iron right on top of the horn bud and all I had to do was put it down on it and hold it there. But poor little goat boy was just a shakin'. So I could not do it. And it only takes just a few minutes at most. I have to do it this year. I am going to have to make myself do it. Especially IF we get any does out of these slacker goats.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  08:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Luna finally had her baby! Yes one baby girl. She looked like she was going to have trips. but she had just one and she was 11 pounds. She had her at 6.30 this morning and it was up and nursing 10 minutes after birth. She is just so big.

Congrats on the bull calf Kristin!!! I am so so glad everything went so well for them both. Its makes life so much easier and lets you enjoy the birth so much more. So glad for you both.

Kathryn are you putting the baby with another baby at night for company and why are you taking it away overnight I was just curious if there was something else wrong. I don't normally start doing that until my babies are 8 weeks old and then let them run with the mom the rest of the time.When you disbud is takes about 10 seconds to completely stop the bloodflow to the horn nub. Its a very long 10 seconds........I think the longest 10 seconds to me.Its a very hard thing to do. I think its the most hated chore I can think of. Believe me your not the only one who gets upset about it. I have been doing it for 19 years and I think I dread it more each and every year.

Sometimes the babies can get a lesion under the skull from disbudding or the mom can accidently hit their head with their hooves when the babies are nursing. I have had many a doe do this accidently. They are very sensative there for many days. Maybe give the little one a chewable baby asprin for a few days and see if this helps it. Not sure what is going on with the little kid but hopefully the vet can figure it out. Good luck to you and the little kid.

Back to the barn. Its sunny and it was a great day for babies to be born. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  10:26:05 AM  Show Profile
congrats to you linda. so glad you had a girl. she sounds cute. can you post a pic. i was hoping my boer babies would be hornless. no such lick so i am now thinking of this task. is 2 weeks a good age to do the disbudding? thanks girls sherrrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  12:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye, I usually dehorn around 3 weeks for the girls and a little sooner for the boys. I have Nubians so I don't know how fast the Boer babies horns grow.I like to make sure they have at least 1/4 to 1/3 inch up so the iron does not slip off and I can center the iron but not so big the iron won't go easly over them. Good luck with those babies.
I just got done dehorning a friend of mines does today. They were exactly 3 weeks old and they were girls. They don't seem to grow as fast as the boys.

Well off to my mini greenhouse( 7' by 9') to water and check plants.I can't hardly fit in there with the plants to water them. Its kinda packed in there. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Linda
Congrays on Luna's baby, especially since it is my birthday. Since she is a big girl, I think you should name her after me!!
Lisa Bean
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  1:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. That's a big girl. How's she doing tonight? I bet she's ready to play with the big kids. I think Katheryn is milking the doe already. That's why she's putting the kid up at night. I try to start doing that at 2 weeks with mine. I want that milk too. And don't you have a goat named Lisa Bean already? Or some kind of Bean.

Good luck y'all on the dehorning. I am going ot have to do that soon too. And my friend up the road said they castrate the bulls as soon as they can. So I need to find someone to do it quick. I think the cut and pull metthod is best.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  10:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
I'm glad to hear about all the calves you cowgals are getting!
Kris,if I was closer to you I would sure cut your calves for you,I probably castrate over a hundred a year once I make my round of Spring and Summer work on the local outfits,I tell you what,everyone uses me to threaten thier Daughter's potential boyfriends,once they hear about and see my little green enamel knife and hear how quick I can ruin some poor male's day it tends to keep them honest and upright!
I do believe that cutting is the best method,second best would be the burdizzo but if going this route I would purchase a good quality tool rather than an economy model but the way I look at it,a tiny pocketknife sharpened to a fine edge and steely nerve are very effective and much cheaper!
Anyways,I'm making a little progress with my doe,she's still running from us a bit and yells when we catch her and especially if we try to look at her burnt horn buds but she's slowly starting to approach us again and not acting near as scared as she was.
Something really had her boogered and it's such a dramtic change in personality,I used to get annoyed with her because she wouldn't leave me alone,now I feel terrible that she's so scared of us!
I think it could be the disbudding thing and maybe she's got some kind of intense pain or fear from it,I'm not yet real good at the disbudding and I had to burn her again after I noticed some regrowth and I'm not sure but think she might yet still have a little growth,I sure hope not.
It seems that these Nigerian Dwarf goats have real tiny horn buds and I wonder if my disbudding iron is too large a diameter to really burn thier buds effectively or if it could be my technique?
Anyways,I am seperating her at night and she has company,she is only in a dog kennel inside the shed with the other goats so she's right close to Mom but can't nurse,she doesn't seem to get upset about being locked away so I'm not sure that would affect her so terribly.
Anyways,I hope all is going well ladies,speaking of shutting in baby goats it's about that time so I had better get to getting off this computer!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  11:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris...ya it was sad to lose twins but its alright..that was Frappe's first pregnancy so almost expected ya know. No goat kids yet. My husband asked me if I could have her bred this year (I'm thinking he is outta his mind since I'll be milking 2 cows already), but I believe that I'm going to wait until around Nov. Bella won't be one year until July and I want the kids to come in the spring. Yay for all the new babies making their way in this year...good luck to everyone with calf and kidding season!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  07:04:36 AM  Show Profile
Congrats to Linda and Kristin on the babies. I am waiting on pics!!!

Ruth is doing good, she is drinking 3oz. every 3hrs. She is pooing and peeing. And she comes to my voice and is licking and exploring everything. I have taken her our a coule of times to hang with the older kids. Just to see other goats. We are suppose to have decent weather this week, so if I take out the other goats I was thinking I would take her out there too.
Her mom, Cottton was not doing that good yeterday. I think it was shock/pain from the harder delivery. So I gave her banamine,nutri drench and put a coat on her. I give all my does and kids nutri drench after birth and Ruth has gotten it twice.

Hope everyone is good.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  5:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Angie, I am glad the little one is doing so well. It's good to let her be with the other goats some. I hopeCotton is ok. I just hate when thses goats get sick.

Katheryn, I wish you lived closer too. I do believe I will go that route with the castration. So when should it be done?

I am going to wait til Dec. to breed Mazie again. That way the calf will be 9 months old. Then she should calve in Sept the following year and Chuck will be ready for the butcher. Should work out good. that's my plan anyway.

I went to my friend's today. She has the buck that made the rounds with all the ladies. SHe has 6 does and so far 5 of them have kidded. ALl with twins. 5 bucks, 3 does. And they are SO stinkin' cute! She has a Pygmy that he got ahold of and she had the cutest little buck twins ever. With elf ears no less. So cute. They were all cute. I might get one of the bucks or like she said, I could just borrow Moe. I like that idea better. He had gotten into the grain yesterday. Poor boy was not feeling too well today. had the runs and was just droopy looking. But he has grown since he was here. It was good to see all her kids. I just hope to have healthy kids and at least 2 does. These 2 does have not had girls since 2008. I think it's high time for them to give me some girls now.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Ruth is still doing good. Cotton is doing better. She has moments of weak behavior. I hope she pulls thru.

I can't wiat to see pics of more babies. Kristin- I know you are ready for some babies. I love having these guys around.
When should I let them all mingle?
What about the nice weather coming, when can they go out and enjoy it?

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  2:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Angie. For me, I keep the mom and kids in a stall for at least 3-5 days, depending on size of kids. After that, they go out with the others. Ya have to watch the does. They can haed butt a kid across the yard. They aren't like a cow and babysit. Not mine anyway. The kids all get along fine, but when another kid tries to sneak a snack from the wrong mom, watch out! But they aren't too hard on them. And I love to see all the kids hanging out together on the rocks, playing King of the Hill. So cute. I had a piece of plywood up against the fence in the goat yard one time. Those kids had a blast sliding down that piece of wood. They'd take turns jumping up on it then sliding down. I laughed so hard. I can't wait to have kids here again. Did you ever find out what is wrong with your goat?

It's about to rain here. I hate for poor little Chuck to get all wet. But it's not supposed to last very long.

Sandy and Abby are so big now. I don't remember them being so huge. They have a few more weeks to go now. But they are so big. I just wonder if they both are going to have triplets. And watch them all be stinkin' bucks. Every single one of them. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Kristin- Do not think Bucks... you must think does!!!

The final thought was my doe, Cotton was suffering from shock; from her hard birth and all the pain. She was in so much pain she really gave up on pushing at one point and just alid still! She is all better now. She was head buttin Twinkle [my other doe, she had the triplets]; thru the fence!
It has been so crazy around here, that today I got to chores later then normal. Well all those busy bucks pretty much emptied their moms! I must get out there on time!!!! I am glad we had enough in here to last!

Well I hope everybody has a great week!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Poor Cotton. I hope she is feeling better by now.

Honestly, I don't know how much longer Sandy and Abby can waddle around as big as they are right now. It just amazes me to see them each day. I can hardky wait to see what they have. These last few weeks are the worst for me.

It rained all night again. I kept thinking about my little Chuck out in the rain. But he seems fine this morning. He was running around the hay stack. It's so fun to watch "farm tv" while eating breakfast and dinner. All kinds of things to watch out the big window. There are horses across the road up on the hill. Sometimes they just take off running. It's very beautiful to see. Then the chickens running from the roosters, who end up winning anyway. I don't know why they run and don't just let them have their way with them. Just get it over with already! I love this time of year with all the new green on the trees and in the yard. SO fun to see what else has popped up. And the animals have more energy too.

But not me. I hate the time change. I need a nap already. And it doesn't help that it's dark because of the clouds. I hope y'all are having a good day so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile
i am so happy to hear cotton is all better now. they are so spunky when they feel good. my little boer girl i names cissy. my neighbor is thinking of taking her. her mom was car positive. so i would not breed her. they have high end horses and mules. she would be a stall mate for a mule. i need to post pics. she is so dad gum vute. cissy is all white except her head. her toggles? are brown with perfect white tips. she just loves to snuggle. it will be hard to let her go is she does. i already told nan she could have her. i am going to get rid of marilyn and ebony after kidding season. i think 3 does are enough for us. 2 lamancha and a boer. kris i sure know the wonder of fat pregie goats.LOL mine are looking very big now. i am going to let betty and kids out today in bigger area. they are wanting to run and romp.should i keep billy bob away from the kids? i can put him in a stall while they are out. so when to vaccinate the babies??? any ideas?? thanks hope its a fine farm day for all happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  01:15:44 AM  Show Profile
It is 4 am here and I cannot sleep. I hate this. It happens sometimes. And this time change doesn't help at all. Don't like it either. The moon is about 3/4 full and was very bright awhile ago. I thought it was already morning. But it was 2 am. So I got up. ANd my hubby is here. He is snoring and jerking his leg. Drives me crazy. It's really hard with him being gone so much for me to get used to him when he is here. Very hard. I don't know what I will do when he retires. We have beds upstairs if it gets too bad.

Chuck is so cute. He was running around the big hay stack this morning. Mazie si going off into the pasture now while he sleeps. She's such a good mother. I tried to milk her this morning but he is drinking her dry, little stinker. All 4 quarters too. He knows where all the faucets are. So I guess I will have to get another gallon of milk from my friend today. With hubby and granddauther drinking it and me it goes fast. I just got a gallon Monday and it's already gone.

I want my goats to go ahead and have their kids so we will have all the milk we want! Right now!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  05:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Can someone tell me how and what you use to clean milking equipment please.

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page