Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  06:49:49 AM  Show Profile
i am glad your rains stopped. a few days and you should see green. i wish maizie would hurry up already.LOL how was your steak dinner? we are sending ida to the butcher today. no babies no good. i tried very hard to breed her back. now she is burger. hows abby and sandy? those azaleas and rhodies are hard on goats. hope you are having a fine morning farmgirls. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile
No babies yet! I am ready! They are on the front pasture today walking around. It is 38 degrees and sunny, so I decided to let them out. I will be putting them up soon. It was so funny. The boys have not seen these girls since November. They all had their hair up pacing for a few minutes looking at each other thru fences. It was a funny sight.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  2:52:07 PM  Show Profile
hey there angie, the waiting is so hard. i had the kids out yesterday. they are so thin i have to go put chick wire up on some posts to gate set ups. they slipped right out. so heres a question for you all. here i am thinking ginger must be bred. she is fat in the belly. well she is living now for 4 months at least with a fertile buck. so i thought the girl is bred. well he was clacking and yacking and chasing her yesterday. he was trying to mount her. now she was not going for it. she was puffing and huffing. she did curl her nose and lips up. biut today quiet. do they put smells out like that if they are bred? man i hope she is bred already. i need kids from her. she is cae clear and registered. an amazing milker. i need her milk. what do you think. could she be putting out female hormone smells and still be preg? i hope so. darn it anyway. what a year. we butchered ida today. she had a big cyst in there. thats why she would not breed back. we tried to kill it 2 months ago. did not work. so we will hang her for 10 days and taste the meat. if she is strong we will sausage her. if she is good we will sell her meat. she hung at 444 pounds. kris hows the steaks tasting? angie let us know when the kids come. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, the t-bones were really good. The kids loved it. Kansas kept asking if it was Roxie. Silly kid. But Coryn ate 2. I fixed 8 and they were all eaten. I love when all the food is eaten. Now I am looking at recipes for short ribs, I have never cooked them before. Also got 2 briskets. So lots of new cuts this time. I can't wiat to have some fresh pork soon too. I am so sorry you never got that cow bred. I remember when you had to do all that to her. I hope she's good. How does beef sausage taste?

I checked Mazie today and she is really getting floppy.

Right down the road is a herd of Herefords. They are all having calves right now. Every day they seem to have more. So this morning as I was going to twon a cow had just had a calf. Still had the cord and it was very wet. Then this afternoon there was another one just born. And these were black. I had noticed a few little black calves mixed in with all the red ones. They are so cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  12:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Sherry- my boys where doing the same thing to my girls yesterday, thru fences and they are all three prego! I bet she is prego!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  01:02:40 AM  Show Profile

So my first set of kids are here!!!!
They are both boys, from my older doe Tango.
We named them Dillan and Lil Joe. Dillan is the more red one with the stripe and Lil Joe is light coloered with white moon spots on one side!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  05:29:12 AM  Show Profile
So as I posted above we have two boys! At 11pm lastnight I told my dd, who was still up to go check on Tango. I could hear her over the monitor, and she is never making noise at night. So I was sitting next to the monitor on the bed saying I know something is up and finding pants. Sure enough, dd yells come on mom there is a kid hanging out. I ran out with my younger dd behind me. Just as we got there one hit the ground, I helped Tango clean him and clear his throat. He was doing fine. Just as we were getting him cleaned another set of legs came out, this one was breach. He was coming out good and was in the safe breach postition. But his sack was already broke and I could see him breath. I helped Tango on the next two pushes and we got him out. He was wheezing, so I hung him up side down and leared his throat. He was still making funny noises so I kids swung him around, and more came out. He was then breathing fine!

I just feed all the animals, and the biys were nursing and Dillan was peeing!
Now I thought I seen Dillan pooping, but as soon as he began to strain, Tango was licking and cleaning him. Isn't this normal? I thought some moms cleaned up well, other didn't.
Oh and she expelled the after birth within 2 hrs. and then ate it. I just left her be. I know she can use all the nutrtion[sp] she can get. I also gave each boy a squirt of nutri drench. I know they say you can use 2 squirts, but with these little guys I used one. Oh and they each weighed 3.5 lbs.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  05:55:42 AM  Show Profile
yipee angie. so glad they are born and doing well. its always a relief when they are born and well. what kind did you say she is? very pretty color. how many more goats are you waiting on? kris how are your girls? all is good here happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  06:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Well, it's about time! Yay! And they are so cute too. I am so glad you were there to help out the 2nd kid. Sounds like he needed it. Now you have 2 more to go? They shouldn't be too far behind. Thanks for telling us. I am happy for you and her too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  06:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! Two more does to go! I am excited. They are doing so good!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  04:55:21 AM  Show Profile
OMG, we are literally UNDER water here. It started raining last night about 5 pm and has NOT stopped since. And after all the rain we got last week, there's really nowhere for this to go. I need to go feed the masses but don't even want to go out there. I don't see anything moving out there yet but a few chickens. But the poor things need food. I am so thankful at least the part of the barn where the goats and turkeys are is dry. But the pig part is a bit wet because the darn things keep knocking over the water. I need to find a few bales of straw today and put one in there for them. But the whole front of our property is under water and that's where we just seeded the pasture. Under water. So I don't know if that was just a wasted 80 bucks or not. We shall see. And poor Mazie, out there in all this mess. She's in the corner up near the little house under a cedar tree. But still wet. There is a shed across the field but she stays over here. I sure hope she waits to have that calf til after this monsoon is over. We were 3" under the drought mark a few days ago. I do believe we be in the red now. I AM SICK OF ALL THIS RAIN ALREADY!!!! SO much is such a short time is not good. We are under flood warnings all over too. I believe it. Ok I am done for now.

I hope y'all are dry where ever y'all are. Any more babes yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:06:24 AM  Show Profile
ph kris i am so sorry this is happening. i am like you i hate having to go out there and get wet and muddy. i know you did though. i sure hope maizie waits. maybe the seeds were buried enough that they didnt wash away. we are thinking our pigs are not bred back afterall. we have been waiting and waiting. this is their last due date now. the next few days. we have 2 possibly not bred. i am not having very good results from breeding my livestock. dad gum it anyway. well here is hoping they are. hope you keep your feet dry and warm kris. so we are still waiting on more babies from angie and linda still. i think i am forgetting someone. i hope we get more pics on here. i love the pics. hoping it dries for you kris. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, yes I finally made myself go out there. It really wasn't too awful bad. Just lots of creeks and streams all over I had to wade through. At least my boots got cleaned! And the critters are all fed for now. I will have to do it all again this evening.

I am so sorry you are having such bad luck with breeding your gals, Sherrye. At least you got a few cute little calves and some kids though. I checked mazie again and she has decided to wait a little longer til it stops all this raining.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Angie !! Glad everything went good. They sure are cuties.

Its started raining here again yesterday. We have over 3 inches of rain and its flooding again and the mud is starting down the hills again. I am glad I was able to fork out the barn before it hit again. The news man said we were going to get in inch of rain.....I guess he hasn't been to my neck of the woods.Kristin I think we should get the canoes out.

My doe Luna was due yesterday. She is as big as a house but nothing yet. I am a little worried. I hope she is okay. I hate waiting when they go over.

We had to put our old buck Sparky down yesterday. He could hardly walk, he was not really digesting his food anymore even though I kept him on fasttrack and lots of good food. His back teeth wore off several years ago and I have been giving him alfalfa pellets, goat feed and soy hill pellets for the fiber and fine leafy hay. His body just couldn't do it anymore and no matter what and how much I fed him he was losing so much weight.He had a good long life. He was born and raised here.I have quite a few does from him......he threw very nice kids. He was an excellent buck.
Luna the doe that is overdue was bred to him last year. He barely did the deed with some help. I will be so happy to see kids from him. He will be missed. I hate losing my old goats they are my family.

Well off to check Luna and wade through the water. Take care and stay dry.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Linda
I am home working today. Sorry about Sparky. I will call you this weekend when I can talk without having work interfere.
All of you goat gals.. I have 2 of Sparky's does. I think one of them has her daddy's personality, & 1 has her mommy's.
One is more of a stinker, so I think that came from Sparky..They are so fun. I love them
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm sure Sparky had the best life there with you and all those fabulous does. So sorry though that you had to let him go. I'm sure it was for the best. I would love to see some of his girls.

Well, it did finally stop raining. But I think it might start back any minute again. I know how you feel, Linda, with all the mud in the barns and stalls. My 2 tom turkeys up front have one little dry corner and that's where the roost is.

Did anyone else here about that family in Pa. that had the house fire? I heard just a little bit this morning on the weather channel. A big huge old farmhouse burned and 6 children were inside. 1 child got out. They said the mother was out in the barn milking the cows and the dad was asleep in the delivery truck. I have been so sad all day after hearing that. My step dad said he heard they were all inside and the mother, father and a child got out. All the other children died.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  8:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Linda- I am sorry about Sparky.
Everybody- stay warm and dry. We are getting flooded also. Not to mention all the snow and ice coming this week and weekend.

So now for the happy news....
Twinkle had triplets! All bucks!
Here is a pic...

So we are leaning towards the names Eclipse,Twilight and O'Ryan.
What do you ladies think?

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly

Edited by - amomfly on Mar 09 2011 8:36:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  9:01:30 PM  Show Profile
oh they are absolutely adorable. i am so glad it all went good. its is such a relief when they are on the ground and eating. yipee for her and you. i need boys this year. were you hoping for girls or boys? they look really healthy. i am always amazed at how they all fit inside moms tummy. happy days for you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  04:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherrye! I am realieved to have them all doing well. They are all nice size toss. One was 3lbs.,one was 3.25lbs and one was 4lbs. Now how that cute little doe of mine had all those boys is amazing! The first on was like standing up with in seconds and while I was helping with the second one he was climbing on both me and mom!
I am ok with whatever we get. But I was hoping for a couple girls. So I hope the last one holding on to her kids will give us at least one doe! But I will try to find someone to trade my buck for a doe, and maybe one of my other older bucks for another buck with new blood lines. Having two bucks from the same parents is not a long term good thing!
Well thanks again!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  06:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I just love that picture. That is true love for sure. That little kid resting his head on his mommy. That is precious. Just plain ole precious. I am so glad they are all ok and now one left to go. But all those stinkin' boys! SO far 4 bucks and one doe, right? I am SO hopinf for girls this year. Not much longer to wait.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh those babies are so darn cute. I can't believe she had 3 boys!!! Kristin still keeping my finger crossed for you to have some does and for Sherrye to have some piggies.

Yep is was hard to let Sparky go. Its seems like he has been here forever. Going out the barn and not seeing him stick his head out of his barn made me cry.
I can't wait to see Luna's babies from him. I thought she was due Tuesday but I recounted and she is due today but I don't see any signs yet.He did have a good life. He was an ornery old buck that has taken quite a few shots at me over the years. I cursed him every breeding season but praised him at kidding time.

Well I need to head out to the barn. I think there is a break in the rain and want to work on the mud.Take care and you all have a good day.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  12:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Mazie has goo!!!! I went out there just now to give her some more hay and checked her again and I saw about 3" of clear goo! I am so nervous y'all. ANd excited and scared all at the same time. I called my friend who has Jerseys and she said it could be another 3 days at least. I have her down on the calendar as being due the 14th. So that would be just about right then. Not bad. I just hope she does go til then because it's reallt getting colder out there. And it's been sprinkling all day.

Y'all wish Mazie luck. And me too. How fun is this?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  4:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Keeping my fingers crossed Kris. My luna is not doing a thing. I wish she would have them like tomorrow around feeding time.
Its colder here too. The rain changed into snow and the river is 2.5 feet above flood stage and will go 4 or more feet higher by the weekend. They have the flood gates up.

I hope everything goes easy for you both. Goodluck to you both.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Great to see some new babies on the ground,congrats on the bumber crop of bucks Angie,they're little dolls,what a surprise to have all three turn out male,are they Nigerians?
I'm getting caught up here,been busy around my place lately,my Mom's coming to stay here after a knee replacement and I've been building some new sheds for housing critters and horse tack and working on getting an outside colt under saddle.
Anyways,there's some strange things going on with my little Nigerian doe,she's about five weeks old now and up to this point,has been super sweet and alomost overly friendly,if we went into the pen she would paw at us until we picked her up and she liked to get on our laps and play with us all the time,now the last couple days she has made an instant change,now she runs from us and acts like she's terrified,she bawls and screams if we pick her up and cowers in the corner.
I can't make any sense of it,nothing has changed and it's just such a huge difference in behavior.
We disbudded her at near two weeks old,she was real slow to grow horn buds,well,last week she was showing some growth so we heated the iron and burned her again but after that she was fine and still friendly so I don't think she's traumatized by the disbudding,she does still shake her head and react violently if you touch the burnt horn buds,I can't even get her to hold still to let me look at them.
I just can't make any sense of it,I am so puzzled and upset.
Has anyone else dealt with behavior changes like this in thier kids?
Usually if I have a kid that starts off friendly they stay friendly their whole life,it's really strange.
Any ideas would be appreciated,I'm really confused by this behavior,I've had goats for years and never had this happen.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile
well i am not the goat lady but i am sorry for you. i bet some one will have an idea. what a full life you lead. i would love to learn about horses next. this summer i am pasturing my sisters egyptian arab. family pet. so will learn some then. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page